Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Wada ResignsFollow

#302 Apr 01 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
catwho wrote:
In this whole P2P vs F2P argument I completely forgot I was Legacy. Smiley: laugh I was totally prepared to pay $15 a month, in fact.

Legacy vs non Legacy has no bearing on my preference. SE gets $18 a month for my FFXI account already. I've paid that fee month in and month out because it's the cheapest entertainment value I can get outside of piracy.


Some people are more frugal. Just because you are willing to pay $18 monthly for a Final Fantasy game doesn't mean it's worth it.
#303 Apr 01 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
catwho wrote:
In this whole P2P vs F2P argument I completely forgot I was Legacy. Smiley: laugh I was totally prepared to pay $15 a month, in fact.

Legacy vs non Legacy has no bearing on my preference. SE gets $18 a month for my FFXI account already. I've paid that fee month in and month out because it's the cheapest entertainment value I can get outside of piracy.


Some people are more frugal. Just because you are willing to pay $18 monthly for a Final Fantasy game doesn't mean it's worth it.


Sure it is. I know this is difficult for you to understand, but some people are genuinely excited for this game and it only has to be worth it to them to get their money. Just because you don't think it's worth it doesn't mean others agree with you.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#304 Apr 01 2013 at 9:22 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
That's kind of my point. It's great if he wants to spend $18 a month on a game, but a lot of people won't.

He's in a position where he doesn't even know or care how much his subscription is going to cost. It could cost $10 or $18 and he wouldn't even care or notice.

Judging from his previous posts, he was even paying the subscription fee when he was not playing (I guess he forgot about it?) so I get the sense that maybe money doesn't mean that much to him.

For a lot of people, FFXIV will have to be really great if it wants $13 a month...

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 11:25am by Killua125
#305 Apr 01 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Catwho is a girl, she's said it several times.

What you don't know is how many people will and won't. Do you have any hard facts to back your scientific "a lot of people" claim"? They don't need 10 million subs to be successful. Anything at this point is speculation at best, you really have no idea how many people are going to play and subscribe. Only time will tell. You seem to want to write the game off before it's even launched.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#306 Apr 01 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
So am I, but I don't feel the need to correct people over it. Your gender doesn't really even matter online.

For some people it will be worth it, for some people it won't.

I was saying that for someone like catwho who paid for the game while she was not even playing it, and was not sure if her FFXIV: ARR is going to cost $10 or $15, maybe ARR doesn't need to do much to be 'worth' a monthly fee, for her.

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 11:39am by Killua125
#307 Apr 01 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
You know, I'm normally an amazingly tolerant person, but deliberately getting my gender pronoun wrong is one of the few things that really sticks in my craw. Smiley: mad

Respect has to be earned online. Deliberately being rude to someone is not a good way to go about earning it.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#308 Apr 01 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
I didn't do it deliberately. I honestly just don't have a very good memory.

My friends who like My Little Pony are all men (lol) so maybe that's why I got confused.
#309 Apr 01 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Some people are more frugal. Just because you are willing to pay $18 monthly for a Final Fantasy game doesn't mean it's worth it.


"It's not worth something because you say it is, it's worth nothing because I say it is!"
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#310 Apr 01 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
I didn't say that, but for some people, every dollar counts, every dollar is budgeted and matters.

If you don't care whether the game is $10, $15, or $18, I can see why you would be totally fine with a subscription model over a free-to-play model.

For some people, the difference between free and subscription is a big deal to them (whether they're short on money or simply frugal; don't be judgemental), and the option to pay as much as you want versus a forced flat fee may be the deciding factor in whether they gave this game a moment of their time.

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 11:58am by Killua125
#311 Apr 01 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
******
48,482 posts
If $20 a month entertainment budget is a big deal, you're heading to live in your parent's basement soon enough.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#312 Apr 01 2013 at 10:05 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
If $20 a month entertainment budget is a big deal, you're heading to live in your parent's basement soon enough.


People who are financially successful generally are of the opinion that every dollar counts, and considering my social life, Final Fantasy will only account for a small portion of my monthly entertainment...

You're paying monthly for ZAM, so something tells me you don't really understand the importance of money.

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 12:06pm by Killua125
#313 Apr 01 2013 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
******
48,482 posts
Killua125 wrote:
You're paying monthly for ZAM, so something tells me you don't really understand the importance of money. (If you want to act condescending, I can do it also)
Says the dude crying about a $20 a month entertainment budget. You're right though, you can act condescending. But you're not much of an actor. Smiley: frown
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#314 Apr 01 2013 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Killua125 wrote:
... for some people, every dollar counts, every dollar is budgeted and matters.


If that's someone's situation, he or she should be investing money in better ways than MMORPGs (and a computer on which to play them). >_>
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#315 Apr 01 2013 at 10:15 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
You're paying monthly for ZAM, so something tells me you don't really understand the importance of money. (If you want to act condescending, I can do it also)
Says the dude crying about a $20 a month entertainment budget. You're right though, you can act condescending. But you're not much of an actor. Smiley: frown


Final Fantasy would not be my entire entertainment budget.

KaneKitty wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
... for some people, every dollar counts, every dollar is budgeted and matters.


If that's someone's situation, he or she should be investing money in better ways than MMORPGs (and a computer on which to play them). >_>


It's not so much a matter of that. I'm not talking about people who are in a situation that the difference between $10 and $20 will break them. Those people likely shouldn't even be wasting any time or money on MMORPGs.

I'm just making the point that some people are frugal/careful about how they spend their money... that doesn't make them poor, it makes them smart.

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 12:18pm by Killua125
#316 Apr 01 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,482 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Final Fantasy would not be my entire entertainment budget.
Too expensive? Maybe buckle down, work hard, and your boss at McDonalds will notice and give you a raise.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#317 Apr 01 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I'm just making the point that some people are frugal/careful about how they spend their money... that doesn't make them poor, it makes them smart.


How does only playing games that are free make you smarter than someone who pays to play a different game? Or am I missing something?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#318Killua125, Posted: Apr 01 2013 at 11:00 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I don't work at McDonalds, and I would say that your posts are unnecessarily vile. I guess your monthly subscription here just gives you license to be an ******* with no repercussions, and I don't want to be a member of a "pay-to-troll" forum model.
#319 Apr 01 2013 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
******
48,482 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I don't work at McDonalds, and I would say that your posts are unnecessarily vile.
So people that work at McDonalds are vile now? That's a bit harsh.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#320 Apr 01 2013 at 11:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
I got the feeling, and correct me if i am wrong that the only reason you say don't believe ARR is worth the P2P is because of 1.0 right?

Because seriously from the info at my hand i don't see a reason why they shouldn't try a P2P model.

But then again someone might say i am gullible, but we will see i guess.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#321 Apr 01 2013 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I'm just making the point that some people are frugal/careful about how they spend their money... that doesn't make them poor, it makes them smart.


How does only playing games that are free make you smarter than someone who pays to play a different game? Or am I missing something?


I didn't say that. I have paid plenty of subscriptions (for MMORPGs and other services) over the years.

I think someone who makes sure something is up to par and worth their money before spending is smart, though.

So far I'm not sure if ARR is worth a subscription versus free-to-play, but I'm reserving judgement until the later phases of the beta and stuff.

lolgaxe wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Final Fantasy would not be my entire entertainment budget.
Too expensive? Maybe buckle down, work hard, and your boss at McDonalds will notice and give you a raise.


I don't work at McDonalds, and I would say that your posts are unnecessarily vile. I guess your monthly subscription here just gives you license to be an @#%^ with no repercussions, and I don't want to be a member of a "pay-to-troll" forum model.


People can troll for free too I see.

I know having your argument pulled apart mercilessly hurts, but welcome to the internet. lolgaxe hasn't done anything ban worthy yet.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#322 Apr 01 2013 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
And again I find myself in need of a :popcorn: emoticon...

Edit: Smiley: popcorn

I had been forgetting the brackets this whole time...

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 3:25pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#323 Apr 01 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,482 posts
Smiley: popcorn
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#324 Apr 01 2013 at 1:20 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Theonehio wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I wouldn't exactly call F2P a cash grab. That term implies that you're trying to generate a quick profit and sacrificing the longevity of the product to do so. Many F2P models do generate profit quickly yes, but that also sets them up in a better position to funnel some of that profit back into the game and I would argue that this would bolster the sustained profit through having more funds to develop and implement more content. Seems more like a matter of player preference to me.


The problem is.. other than League of Legends no F2P game pumps out content anywhere near as fast as WoW. Pretty much every small F2P game is a cash grab with little content and a pay to win attitude. With as little as these companies comparatively spent on game development they probably make great profit. However you never see any content updates, or if you do it's after 3-5 years. I played a blatant WoW-clone called Fiesta off and on for 3+ years and they never released anything new other than cash shop garbage. Guild Wars 2 has been out for 6+ months and still hasn't released any new content either. This is a game where you could get to max level in a week or less with no end game content. F2P looks nice on paper but it just doesn't work that way.


When did WoW go F2P? The comparison doesn't make sense because WoW charges more than 10 million people a subscription fee. With that kind of income it's easy to see how they are able to manufacture so much content.


Now the question is..how much of that content is actually GOOD content?


Better than anything SE has ever released for either XI or XIV.
____________________________
MUTED
#325 Apr 01 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Wow has great content, if you can get past the graphics anyway. I couldn't. I just couldn't get past the deliberate avoidance of realism in favor of the cartoony style. I deleted my gnome before I ever left the free trial.

I went walking in the botanical gardens with my husband today. Something about the feeling of the woods was really familiar, like it was deja vu. Then I took another look around, and realized that it looked exactly how they've redone the Shroud. I literally stopped in my tracks and just stood there in wonder, that they did such a **** good job replicating a forest in a video game that I got deja vu from standing in the actual location it was modeled off (or a forest just like it.)

***** content, I want a nice place I can take a virtual picnic lunch and enjoy the view sometimes Smiley: lol FFXI had quite a few amazing spots like that, like the waterfall in Misareaux Coast, or Empyreal Paradox.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#326 Apr 01 2013 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I guess it is just a really hard concept to grasp, but if people don't think the game will be worth paying for then they don't have to pay for it. There is plenty of other stuff out there to play/do. If someone has enough money to pay for DSL+ then they have enough money to pay for an MMO each month. If they don't want to pay for one they don't have to. There are 100s of games out there that they can play online for free. There are also more than enough people to sustain FFXIV in a subscription model in fans alone so long as the game doesn't suck. If people feel like the game is worth playing then they will freaking pay for it. The only people that might not be able to afford it are younger kids. Arguing over $15 is pointless as all one would have to do is not go out to eat 2-3 times a month to save enough to pay for it. If you're hurting that much for cash then you probably shouldn't be paying for the internet, let alone the game.

Just because some people don't want to pay for a game doesn't mean that this one has to cater to them.

Also THIS GAME IS NOT GOING TO BE F2P!!!!! RAWRGLFLARGENBLURFGLURG!! so what the farque does it matter anyway...

oh yeah... trolling hurdur....
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#327 Apr 01 2013 at 5:39 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
catwho wrote:
Wow has great content...


The problem is that almost all of it is obsolete... who wants to run an old instance when it takes less time to outlevel the gear that would drop than to actually run the instance? Any gear worth wearing levels up with your character (so you always have the best equipment until late-game) and is transferred over from your alt. And it's not like raising your crafts from level 1-380 requires any more than a trip to the auction house and an hour of semi-afk crafting... realistically, all WoW has are a few PvP zones and a small handful of the most recent dungeons, both of which you teleport to while just standing in town. ¯\(°_o)/¯
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#328 Apr 01 2013 at 6:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I didn't say that, but for some people, every dollar counts, every dollar is budgeted and matters.

If you don't care whether the game is $10, $15, or $18, I can see why you would be totally fine with a subscription model over a free-to-play model.

For some people, the difference between free and subscription is a big deal to them (whether they're short on money or simply frugal; don't be judgemental), and the option to pay as much as you want versus a forced flat fee may be the deciding factor in whether they gave this game a moment of their time.

Edited, Apr 1st 2013 11:58am by Killua125


That I can understand. I have a friend who has a huge family and they all have to work, and to pay for Tera, he did that buy playtime token with in game funds, that someone else paid for. Which is how I found out it existed to begin with. Which is why the only free to play model I (opinion) would be somewhat OK with is that. It's not perfect, and those who chose not to buy tokens for other people will suffer. Catering to people who can't afford stuff, that's an interesting market. Smiley: lol

That being said, the F2P has nothing to do with people's financial struggles. It's about exploiting people's spending habits. I don't believe for a second they are in business to let people enjoy their work for free, because they're going through hard times. No one is judging the the people, sir. A person who's frugal wont spend money on anything anyway. A person who's financially burdened is tempted to spend money they shouldn't be spending. Very sinister indeed. Smiley: dubious

P.S.
That friend got a better job 3 months ago, so he just finished building his PC for FFXIV because he's excited for it.

KaneKitty wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
... for some people, every dollar counts, every dollar is budgeted and matters.


If that's someone's situation, he or she should be investing money in better ways than MMORPGs (and a computer on which to play them). >_>


Exactly, which is why he *the friend* quit playing FFXIV. The game wan't worth his money just yet, but apparently ARR does. So it's a good thing he sought better means to fund his entertainment.

Killua125 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
I'm just making the point that some people are frugal/careful about how they spend their money... that doesn't make them poor, it makes them smart.


How does only playing games that are free make you smarter than someone who pays to play a different game? Or am I missing something?


I didn't say that. I have paid plenty of subscriptions (for MMORPGs and other services) over the years.

I think someone who makes sure something is up to par and worth their money before spending is smart, though.

So far I'm not sure if ARR is worth a subscription versus free-to-play, but I'm reserving judgement until the later phases of the beta and stuff.

lolgaxe wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Final Fantasy would not be my entire entertainment budget.
Too expensive? Maybe buckle down, work hard, and your boss at McDonalds will notice and give you a raise.


I don't work at McDonalds, and I would say that your posts are unnecessarily vile. I guess your monthly subscription here just gives you license to be an @#%^ with no repercussions, and I don't want to be a member of a "pay-to-troll" forum model.


You claim to champion the frugal, the poor, but in the end, it's always been your lack of interest in the FFXIV ARR product. I don't think you should spend your money on it either. It's not for you, just accept it and move on. I don't think it should be free so you can torture yourself with something that doesn't satisfy you. Seek pleasure elsewhere. It's for your own 'happyness.'



Edited, Apr 1st 2013 8:14pm by GDLYL
#329 Apr 01 2013 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
catwho wrote:
You know, I'm normally an amazingly tolerant person, but deliberately getting my gender pronoun wrong is one of the few things that really sticks in my craw.

Must resist the urge to make a completely tasteless joke about the tolerance of your craw and what you put in it...

Does it bother you as much as the lowercase c at the beginning of your name? Smiley: sly

Sort of on topic...

People are going hamburger on the money issue here. Whether or not it's worth it is relative to the person. Unless they're just flat *** broke, it's more about their threshold for what is or isn't entertaining then it is about what they can afford. There are people who will dig through their couch to scrape together what's needed to keep their MMO sub going and there are people who could light cigars with hundred dollar bills that don't think a game is worth the cost of the packaging.

The only other thing I really see factoring into the equation (and consequently, the main reason myself and probably others feel the F2P/B2P/P2P topic is still valid) are the alternatives. If XIV wants to be successful then they're going to have to provide a more entertaining(again, relative) subscription service than some of their competition are providing at lesser or no charge at all. I think it's going to be the biggest snag in SEs plan to revive the game and it's complicated by the stigma of a failed launch, the amount of time it's taken to apply the changes, the question of how much of an impact those changes will actually make and a few other things.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#330 Apr 01 2013 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
The forum finally gets a catfight brewing and we don't even get to see bewbz. I'm just saying, they've been shown for less.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#331 Apr 01 2013 at 8:40 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
catwho wrote:
Wow has great content...


The problem is that almost all of it is obsolete... who wants to run an old instance when it takes less time to outlevel the gear that would drop than to actually run the instance? Any gear worth wearing levels up with your character (so you always have the best equipment until late-game) and is transferred over from your alt. And it's not like raising your crafts from level 1-380 requires any more than a trip to the auction house and an hour of semi-afk crafting... realistically, all WoW has are a few PvP zones and a small handful of the most recent dungeons, both of which you teleport to while just standing in town. ¯\(°_o)/¯


The problem to Who ? Considering they have the largest player base out of all P2P MMO, and have been on top for years upon years, if this was or where a problem it would have been adressed Accordingly. The fact is that it is up to the player on how he decides to play the game, not for developers to dictate how the game is supposed to be played, if a player wants to sit on a city and que up from level 1 to 90 then he can do that, but if a player wants to go out and explore and do dungeons, or questing or anything of the sort the same option is there for him to do It. The more options the Better :)
____________________________
MUTED
#332 Apr 01 2013 at 9:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I once asked about getting the lower case c changed to a proper upper case C, and I was told at the time it could not be done. Maybe that has changed and some kind mod will take pity one me, perhaps when I ding 16K posts? Smiley: nod

There will be no bewbz. Sorry.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#333 Apr 01 2013 at 10:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Fine! Probably past their prime anyway.

Smiley: clown
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#334 Apr 02 2013 at 12:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Where's Usagi when you need him?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#335 Apr 02 2013 at 12:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
catwho wrote:
Wow has great content, if you can get past the graphics anyway. I couldn't. I just couldn't get past the deliberate avoidance of realism in favor of the cartoony style. I deleted my gnome before I ever left the free trial.

I went walking in the botanical gardens with my husband today. Something about the feeling of the woods was really familiar, like it was deja vu. Then I took another look around, and realized that it looked exactly how they've redone the Shroud. I literally stopped in my tracks and just stood there in wonder, that they did such a **** good job replicating a forest in a video game that I got deja vu from standing in the actual location it was modeled off (or a forest just like it.)

***** content, I want a nice place I can take a virtual picnic lunch and enjoy the view sometimes Smiley: lol FFXI had quite a few amazing spots like that, like the waterfall in Misareaux Coast, or Empyreal Paradox.


Well to be honest here i never thought that the cartoony style would be a problem. I can see people wanting to have good graphics and all but for me it doesn't matter. Cartoon style graphics give a different feeling in games for me. No wonder i love the game Curse of the Monkey island (if you don't know this awesome adventure shame on you!!). So in general i am the exact opposite of you. I say ***** graphics as long as i can have good content.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#336 Apr 02 2013 at 1:58 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
F2P was never about being poor, it was about having the choice. **** some of the players under free to play pay vastly more than anyone does in a p2p game, some pay nothing but again it's the choice.

I spend more on my current MMO under f2p than I did when it was p2p and have no issues doing so, playing an mmo is already dirt cheap entertainment.

However it's really nice to know that if you lose your job or some big bill comes you can skip a month or two and still have your entertainment there for you. Pay to play, you are no longer a customer and no longer have access to your account if you don't put that sub up.

Also I have to say that given that FFXIV ARR doesn't want to innovate on anything and is just going to be a basic wow clone it's not good for it that Bless MMO looks more like a FF game than it does now, the graphics and ingame events will be bigger and better too given that it's going to be pc exclusive. PS2 held back the development team in what they could and couldn't add (because they will never make exclusive content) and ps3 limitations will be the same for this game.



Look at this race image, which shows just how close it is to XIV.
http://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/536490_444990875538112_39366302_n.jpg

Bless to me looks like a ripoff of FFXIV done right, even the races are almost identical lol Bless however looks exciting to play to me.



Edited, Apr 2nd 2013 4:01am by preludes
____________________________
BANNED
#337 Apr 02 2013 at 2:10 AM Rating: Default
***
1,102 posts
I'll agree their artistic styles look similar.. the game play didn't look all that similar to me. Also, they play style looked boring to me. But that is all about preference.

Quote:
it's the choice.


I agree with this kind of, though I think I said it earlier in this post. (Or maybe another)

IF FFXIV went to a F2P system in the future, I would hope that it would be one like Tera Online has, where you can still have a subscription to the game if you choose to, and you gain benefits that non-subscribers don't get. Of course there is a lot more to hash out than just that, but I believe that this particular notion would be beneficial.
____________________________
------------------
#338 Apr 02 2013 at 3:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Bless to me looks like a ripoff of FFXIV done right, even the races are almost identical lol Bless however looks exciting to play to me.

Whoa. I guess they are lucky race design does not fall under copyright infringements. That`s incredible.
#339 Apr 02 2013 at 4:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Well, releasing it for ps3 gives people an option as well who aren't typically PC gamers. Since you're big on choice. I feel negatively about "limitations" as well. I know better though.

Man, that game looks good. Lol, it does look like FFXIV too. Battle is something my picky *** can cosign with too. I guess all that remains is the story/lore. That was a boss I presume, looked passable. Can't really say I found anything negative about that showing.

You should probably invest in Bless. It might deliver what you're seeking.
#340 Apr 02 2013 at 6:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
catwho wrote:
I once asked about getting the lower case c changed to a proper upper case C, and I was told at the time it could not be done. Maybe that has changed and some kind mod will take pity one me, perhaps when I ding 16K posts? Smiley: nod

There will be no bewbz. Sorry.


Darqflame is the mistress of all things name related. You can try emailing her at darqflame@zam.com and see what she says, not sure why they would tell you that it was unavailable, unless for some reason there is a Catwho registered already...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#341 Apr 02 2013 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
catwho wrote:
There will be no bewbz.

This was posted on the first of April. Never give up hope Kachi Smiley: lol


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#342 Apr 02 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Wint wrote:
catwho wrote:
I once asked about getting the lower case c changed to a proper upper case C, and I was told at the time it could not be done. Maybe that has changed and some kind mod will take pity one me, perhaps when I ding 16K posts? Smiley: nod

There will be no bewbz. Sorry.


Darqflame is the mistress of all things name related. You can try emailing her at darqflame@zam.com and see what she says, not sure why they would tell you that it was unavailable, unless for some reason there is a Catwho registered already...


My name used to be geffe and Darqflame was able to change it to Geffe. Send her an email like Wint said.
#343 Apr 02 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Thanks for the suggestion, guys. Sent an email!
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#344 Apr 02 2013 at 5:42 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
preludes wrote:
However it's really nice to know that if you lose your job or some big bill comes you can skip a month or two and still have your entertainment there for you. Pay to play, you are no longer a customer and no longer have access to your account if you don't put that sub up.


The most expensive of subs to an MMO are 50 cents a day or less. If you can't make that, it's a wonder you can afford a rig, internet access or even electricity for an F2P.
#345 Apr 02 2013 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Just watched the Blessed trailer. The combat looks just about as flashy as it does in ARR (for better or for worse) and has more or less the same pacing. The much maligned "jump" feature was also used by that Berserker. Smiley: lol The way the ground crumbled underneath his attacks was frickin' cool, though! I'm assuming that's a late game instance, judging by the badass armor and the fact that you're dropped into a large battle.

What I can't get over is how awkward and unnatural everyone looks when standing or walking, NPC or PC. The ranger's hip was stuck out so far it looked painful. When talking and watching sh*t go down, the girl near the beginning had the emotional range of Kristin Stewart. Everyone's arms are just kind of dangling by their sides unless they are fighting. (The Elf paladin chick was the best out of the bunch by far.)

Disclaimer: I watched the trailer with the sound off because the husband had anime on the TV.

Edited, Apr 2nd 2013 9:59pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#346 Apr 02 2013 at 10:13 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Rinsui wrote:
[quote]Bless to me looks like a ripoff of FFXIV done right, even the races are almost identical lol Bless however looks exciting to play to me.


Might I recommend some other top-quality games to you such as Super Mole Kart, Minecroft, and Assassin's Credence? They're all such vibrant and interesting games; I don't know how the respective companies come up with so many good ideas -- and so quickly, at that!

And, in the case of Bless, nothing spells quality like Korean game company NEOWIZ GAMES, right? Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#347 Apr 03 2013 at 12:18 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
[quote]Bless to me looks like a ripoff of FFXIV done right, even the races are almost identical lol Bless however looks exciting to play to me.


Might I recommend some other top-quality games to you such as Super Mole Kart, Minecroft, and Assassin's Credence? They're all such vibrant and interesting games; I don't know how the respective companies come up with so many good ideas -- and so quickly, at that!

And, in the case of Bless, nothing spells quality like Korean game company NEOWIZ GAMES, right? Smiley: rolleyes


Considering you are posting in a forum relating to a SE game..... Quality might be one of those things you do not want to knock another company for not having.

I mean SE & Quality together in the same sentence ? What is this 1997 ?
____________________________
MUTED
#348 Apr 03 2013 at 12:42 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I mean SE & Quality together in the same sentence ? What is this 1997 ?

In a roundhouse-kick mood again, are we? The SE style after the 16-bit era may not have appealed to you, but many disagree.
Though arguably lacking titles to rival Crono Cross or SoM, most of their titles still were well above average.
#349 Apr 03 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Ostia wrote:
Considering you are posting in a forum relating to a SE game..... Quality might be one of those things you do not want to knock another company for not having.

I mean SE & Quality together in the same sentence ? What is this 1997 ?


Touché, though at the same time SE can at least design their own characters instead of making a painfully blatant kniock-offs...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#350 Apr 03 2013 at 11:05 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I mean SE & Quality together in the same sentence ? What is this 1997 ?

In a roundhouse-kick mood again, are we? The SE style after the 16-bit era may not have appealed to you, but many disagree.
Though arguably lacking titles to rival Crono Cross or SoM, most of their titles still were well above average.


This is where you try to counter my argument by making my argument, Square was never "Above Avarage" it was as close to perfection as it could possibly be, the argument that they now are atleast not as horrible as let's for example say "Neverland/Capcom or Konami" is as insulting as my comment :)

As for characters, in their main series ? Sure, on MMO'S ? Yeah Elvan are not elves... Humes are not humans... Gelka are not some humanoid over large race that we had never seen up to XI.... Right!
____________________________
MUTED
#351 Apr 03 2013 at 12:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
God, I seriously cannot wait for the game to come out so everyone can actually have something different to talk about. Every "new" thread devolves into the same things.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 105 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Greax, lolgaxe, Thayos, Anonymous Guests (101)