Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Letter From the Producer Live VIFollow

#52 Apr 04 2013 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Everything that was a "dungeon" in 1.0 - e.g. an interior, underground area - will not be a "dungeon" in 2.0 - e.g. an instanced zone.

Some of the 1.0 "dungeons" will remain as open, non instanced areas with FATES in them.

Edited, Apr 4th 2013 2:44pm by Catwho



yes but this is where the confusion comes in at... if some 1.0 areas will remain uninstanced.. but dungeons are anything that IS instanced.. then what would the non instanced dungeons from 1.0 then be called?


And FATES will take lace in non instanced dungeons? cool so SE will giv eus a reason to explore them other than just having an empty forgotten non instanced interior area with nothing in it just to say "we have non instanced dungeons too" lol.


They won't have a name. The cave that was once a dungeon will now just be that cave at E-12 where Ifrit FATE occasionally pops.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#53 Apr 04 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Everything that was a "dungeon" in 1.0 - e.g. an interior, underground area - will not be a "dungeon" in 2.0 - e.g. an instanced zone.

Some of the 1.0 "dungeons" will remain as open, non instanced areas with FATES in them.

Edited, Apr 4th 2013 2:44pm by Catwho



yes but this is where the confusion comes in at... if some 1.0 areas will remain uninstanced.. but dungeons are anything that IS instanced.. then what would the non instanced dungeons from 1.0 then be called?


And FATES will take lace in non instanced dungeons? cool so SE will giv eus a reason to explore them other than just having an empty forgotten non instanced interior area with nothing in it just to say "we have non instanced dungeons too" lol.


They won't have a name. The cave that was once a dungeon will now just be that cave at E-12 where Ifrit FATE occasionally pops.



thing is when I think of "cave" i think of something more small scale whereas a dungeon is bigger


so will there be any non instanced areas from 1.0 that were "dungeons" that consisted of multiple pathways, rooms to explore, lots of mobs etc etc (something like garlaiuge citadel (minus those stupid banishing gates) for example
#54 Apr 04 2013 at 1:34 PM Rating: Good
I assume we're just going to have to wait and see man.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#55 Apr 04 2013 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
I assume we're just going to have to wait and see man.



actually anyone whos played 1.0 would be able to confirm wther or not it had dungeons like the one i described.. the only thing they WOULDNT know is whether or not said area would remain uninstanced or not
#56 Apr 04 2013 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
As far as my comment about "that cave" I think you took that a little too literally. I meant any out of the way place, such as a cave, cavern, underground labyrinth that doesn't have an instanced entrance. Even if there weren't any from 1.0, or they all became instanced, that doesn't mean there won't be any new ones added in to ARR.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#57 Apr 04 2013 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
As far as my comment about "that cave" I think you took that a little too literally. I meant any out of the way place, such as a cave, cavern, underground labyrinth that doesn't have an instanced entrance. Even if there weren't any from 1.0, or they all became instanced, that doesn't mean there won't be any new ones added in to ARR.


actually t her woont be ny new ones added because they specifically said "anything we call a dungeon will be instanced" and Im sure theyre not gonna make new underground "open world" indoor areas with exploreation when all that time can be better spent making more of their precious instnaces
#58 Apr 04 2013 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
As far as my comment about "that cave" I think you took that a little too literally. I meant any out of the way place, such as a cave, cavern, underground labyrinth that doesn't have an instanced entrance. Even if there weren't any from 1.0, or they all became instanced, that doesn't mean there won't be any new ones added in to ARR.


actually t her woont be ny new ones added because they specifically said "anything we call a dungeon will be instanced" and Im sure theyre not gonna make new underground "open world" indoor areas with exploreation when all that time can be better spent making more of their precious instnaces


I wasn't talking about new dungeons. I meant there might be new, elaborate open world areas where these FATEs pop. I doubt they're going to make all these new FATE monsters pop in some open field every time.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#59 Apr 04 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
As far as my comment about "that cave" I think you took that a little too literally. I meant any out of the way place, such as a cave, cavern, underground labyrinth that doesn't have an instanced entrance. Even if there weren't any from 1.0, or they all became instanced, that doesn't mean there won't be any new ones added in to ARR.


actually t her woont be ny new ones added because they specifically said "anything we call a dungeon will be instanced" and Im sure theyre not gonna make new underground "open world" indoor areas with exploreation when all that time can be better spent making more of their precious instnaces


I wasn't talking about new dungeons. I meant there might be new, elaborate open world areas where these FATEs pop. I doubt they're going to make all these new FATE monsters pop in some open field every time.



no not an open field but it might be something un complex too.. like a small acave thats about teh size of a alk in closet where nothing else exists so it woudl be obvious that itll be something like a qwuest or FATE area (kind alike that cave in FFXI that was in tahrongi canyon
#60 Apr 04 2013 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
I really hope that the FATE areas are not as simple as the little alcove for the Archer quest...
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#61 Apr 04 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
I really hope that the FATE areas are not as simple as the little alcove for the Archer quest...




well maybe not THAT simple but maybe something along the lines of Dragon's Aery which (from what I recall) was just a small linear hallway that lead to an open area where fafnir spawned... i.e not much room for exploration and "hidden" discoveries
#62 Apr 04 2013 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
I really hope that the FATE areas are not as simple as the little alcove for the Archer quest...




well maybe not THAT simple but maybe something along the lines of Dragon's Aery which (from what I recall) was just a small linear hallway that lead to an open area where fafnir spawned... i.e not much room for exploration and "hidden" discoveries


True, but you could argue that running through the area to get to that zone was fairly hidden enough. No lvl 15 noob was going to simply stumble upon that place.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#63 Apr 04 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
****
4,957 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
I really hope that the FATE areas are not as simple as the little alcove for the Archer quest...




well maybe not THAT simple but maybe something along the lines of Dragon's Aery which (from what I recall) was just a small linear hallway that lead to an open area where fafnir spawned... i.e not much room for exploration and "hidden" discoveries


True, but you could argue that running through the area to get to that zone was fairly hidden enough. No lvl 15 noob was going to simply stumble upon that place.



no but would consider the area you ran through (the boyhada tree) as a dungeon as it technically wasnt an out door "open world" area and areas like that are what I wanna see in ARR that arent instanced lol
#64 Apr 04 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
I'm genuinely concerned all we will see for dungeons will be loot hallways. That's the current MMO trend and ARR isn't set to break any molds. I'd rather see a return of complex dungeons, such as FFXI had, but I'm not going to hold my breath.
____________________________


#65 Apr 04 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
"Themes
Beta test and the official release "

I dont see anything in that OP that talks about bet test (which Im guessing means teh start of teh next phase) or anything rgarding the official relase... sooo is the Letter from the Producer still going or what?
#66 Apr 04 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
no but would consider the area you ran through (the boyhada tree) as a dungeon as it technically wasnt an out door "open world" area and areas like that are what I wanna see in ARR that arent instanced lol


The Boyhada Tree! God I was at school losing my mind because I could not remember the name of that place. Yes I would consider that a "dungeon" also, but in that respect XI didn't really have any open world, secluded areas like that. Yuhtunga and Yhoator Jungles were a curse-inducing maze until you memorized them (wost. maps. ever.) Tahrongi Canyon and Sauromugue Champaign had a couple "around the bend" secluded areas, most other places were their own private zone.

I would be TOTALLY ok with having instanced dungeons [i]and[i] regions that require you to zone in, but are a labyrinth unto themselves. We tried the seamless zones before and saw what a mess that was. I have no problem with one more loading screen.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#67 Apr 04 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
to me FFXI DID have an open world... I wouldnt consider or expec tEVERY area to be one big thing with no zones I mean Im sure even EVERQUEST had em, no MASSIVE mmo is seamless (i.e nozonig) how else would you get away from aggroing monsters?

And yes FFXIV had no zones but with this day and ages technology I would guess thats possible now.. but with FFXI the way FFXI ran as an mmo was normal and considering open world by that days standards


As for the jungles umm I never memorized them... the maps were very readable once you learned HOW to read em.. thats how I navigated the jungles theres no way I coulda EVER memorized that area lol I just learned how to make sense of the map and it was easy from that point on
#68 Apr 04 2013 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
229 posts
I would think the dungeons not becoming instances will be something like Crawlers Nest
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#69 Apr 04 2013 at 5:17 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
SaitoMishima wrote:
I would think the dungeons not becoming instances will be something like Crawlers Nest


thats fine with me.. i considered the crawlers nest a dungeon
#70 Apr 04 2013 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
As for the jungles umm I never memorized them... the maps were very readable once you learned HOW to read em.. thats how I navigated the jungles theres no way I coulda EVER memorized that area lol I just learned how to make sense of the map and it was easy from that point on


***** those maps man. After about 3 months I had gone there enough times that I recognized stuff and just ran everywhere by memory.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 84 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (84)