Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Weapons in ARRFollow

#1 Apr 08 2013 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
728 posts
I was watching some Game Theory on FFVII and had a thought. I'm sure it has been discussed before, but I think that ARR could easily implement Weapons as hardcore bosses in a future expansion. Having a technologically superior enemy could easily tie them into the plot and the uniqueness of each one could lead to some fun and interesting fight mechanics. They could really bring a sense of world-ending danger that doesn't completely center around magic and the ethereal.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#2 Apr 08 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
In FFXI right now one of the Voidwatch fights is versus a book

A BOOK.

Could you elaborate on weapons as bosses in VII so we know we're all on the same page?
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#3 Apr 08 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Hahaha, I guess for every giant whale monster there is a mandragora or book XD. Also, page...book... i get it, ZING!

But you know what I mean I'm sure. Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Ultimate, that one that got merced by the Junon Cannon. They could really go to town with the idea and make a large number of them.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#4 Apr 08 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Who could forget the house you had to fight in FFVII? That's right:

A HOUSE.

A heavily armed house...
#5 Apr 08 2013 at 2:46 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Well, I knew what you were talking about, but not everyone played FFVII. (Shocking, I know.)

Found a Wiki page for everyone.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#6 Apr 08 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
No weapons please, XIV already borrowed enough from VII, also if you payed any attention to the storyline in XIV, we already have weapons, they are called Primals, they are the weapons of XIV (They fit the same story/lore as weapons did in VII.)

Now i am all for some giant robotic magitech entitiy that we have to kick its *** on board an Airship, but copying another FF ? No thanks.
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Apr 08 2013 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Since i don't fanatically follow FF lore i don't mind having them. I like shiny things.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#8 Apr 08 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
*
229 posts
Ostia wrote:
No weapons please, XIV already borrowed enough from VII, also if you payed any attention to the storyline in XIV, we already have weapons, they are called Primals, they are the weapons of XIV (They fit the same story/lore as weapons did in VII.)

Now i am all for some giant robotic magitech entitiy that we have to kick its *** on board an Airship, but copying another FF ? No thanks.

Oh wow I never thought about that.. Wel wait, I thought weapons were made to fight off threats to the planet? From what I have read it seemed more like the primals are a drag on the planet and we have o defeat the so they wont suck all the life out of the planet.. Doesnt that make them more equivalent to a mako reactor? lol.. I could be wrong though. Please correct if I am. Also I wouldnt mind FFXIV having Ultima Weapon as that one is in a couple of FFs so it would fit the lore to maybe be in this one also. But weapons like ruby weapon and those side ones that only apear in FFVII I feel like those have less of a place..

Also I would like to say that I know some deslike the idea of older FF stuff being in XIV but I think its kind of a good thing because it advertises those new to FF IP t go and check out futre FFs but also go back and experience the classics like 6 and 7 or even further back. Some people like to make the argument that XIV shouldnt have older themes but if you are a true FF fan you will welcome old references or older themes being implemented. I say this based on people wanting so many remakes and upgrades to HD etc. Again, I know some may not agree. But this is my view of things
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#9 Apr 08 2013 at 3:58 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
I personally don't want a whole lot of fanservice stuffed in unless it actually belongs. It doesn't seem like this belongs.

Using the exact same Magitek design from FFVI and even playing Terra's Theme along with it is already tacky enough.

They forced in an actual LORE ELEMENT for baiting nostalgia. Ehh... it's cool, but no more of that please.

inb4 flame because you love Magiteks. I also do, and I love FFVI, but... if the concept of Magitek was to exist in XIV and they wanted to do it in an intelligent way, they probably could have at least TWEAKED the design of it. Right now it's purely for fanservice.
#10 Apr 08 2013 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I personally don't want a whole lot of fanservice stuffed in unless it actually belongs. It doesn't seem like this belongs.

Using the exact same Magitek design from FFVI and even playing Terra's Theme along with it is already tacky enough.

They forced in an actual LORE ELEMENT for baiting nostalgia. Ehh... it's cool, but no more of that please.

inb4 flame because you love Magiteks. I also do, and I love FFVI, but... if the concept of Magitek was to exist in XIV and they wanted to do it in an intelligent way, they probably could have at least TWEAKED the design of it. Right now it's purely for fanservice.

Fan service. Im a fan and fans love these implementations. I dont believe it should be an exact copy and paste storyline etc, but to have machinery that looks like FFVI is cool. I for one never played FFVI untill last week (I just started and am only about 4 hours in) so I welcome it :D
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#11 Apr 08 2013 at 4:17 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,477 posts
Poubelle wrote:
I personally don't want
Said to no one's surprise.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#12 Apr 08 2013 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I don't think Tera's Theme is actually going to be in the game. I think that was just for the intro video of the Magitek.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#13 Apr 08 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Catwho wrote:
I don't think Tera's Theme is actually going to be in the game. I think that was just for the intro video of the Magitek.


I would hope not, but it just kinda reinforced that the Magitek was added entirely for nostalgia baiting (but that much was obvious).

I really like the idea of Magitek possibly being a recurring Final Fantasy element, but I think they should have done their own unique spin on it. That's my opinion.

The copy and pasted design to tug at the heartstrings of anyone who really likes FFVI seems a bit... desperate.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 6:22pm by Killua125
#14 Apr 08 2013 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I don't think Tera's Theme is actually going to be in the game. I think that was just for the intro video of the Magitek.


I would hope not, but it just kinda reinforced that the Magitek was added entirely for nostalgia baiting (but that much was obvious).

I really like the idea of Magitek possibly being a recurring Final Fantasy element, but I think they should have done their own unique spin on it. That's my opinion.

The copy and pasted design to tug at the heartstrings of anyone who really likes FFVI seems a bit... desperate.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 6:22pm by Killua125


WoW has characters and nostalgia from the Warcraft series.
LotR has characters and nostalgia from the Lord of the Rings series.
AoC has characters and nostalgia from the Conan series.
Ultima Online has characters and nostalgia from the Ultima series.
SWtOR has characters and nostalgia from the Star Wars series.

FFXIV has characters and nostalgia from the FF series. Problem?



Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:07pm by Xoie
#15 Apr 08 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
SaitoMishima wrote:
Ostia wrote:
No weapons please, XIV already borrowed enough from VII, also if you payed any attention to the storyline in XIV, we already have weapons, they are called Primals, they are the weapons of XIV (They fit the same story/lore as weapons did in VII.)

Now i am all for some giant robotic magitech entitiy that we have to kick its *** on board an Airship, but copying another FF ? No thanks.

Oh wow I never thought about that.. Wel wait, I thought weapons were made to fight off threats to the planet? From what I have read it seemed more like the primals are a drag on the planet and we have o defeat the so they wont suck all the life out of the planet.. Doesnt that make them more equivalent to a mako reactor? lol.. I could be wrong though. Please correct if I am. Also I wouldnt mind FFXIV having Ultima Weapon as that one is in a couple of FFs so it would fit the lore to maybe be in this one also. But weapons like ruby weapon and those side ones that only apear in FFVII I feel like those have less of a place..

Also I would like to say that I know some deslike the idea of older FF stuff being in XIV but I think its kind of a good thing because it advertises those new to FF IP t go and check out futre FFs but also go back and experience the classics like 6 and 7 or even further back. Some people like to make the argument that XIV shouldnt have older themes but if you are a true FF fan you will welcome old references or older themes being implemented. I say this based on people wanting so many remakes and upgrades to HD etc. Again, I know some may not agree. But this is my view of things


Weapons where made by the planet in order to protect itself from Jenova (Tho they where never used againts jenova in the past) and they are made from huge ammounts of mako, Primals or Eikons are also beings created by the planet and are only able to be summoned by their tribe, yes they do consume a lot of energy to summon and affect the enviorement, but so does the garlean empire using crystals and aether to power its empire, which is why the beast man have summoned their primals, and actually the garlean empire is the reason why the beast tribes where able to summon their Primals, Midgardsormn(Which i do not know if was a primal or an entity protecting the seal on primals) was attacked by the imperial aerial fleet and killed, thus breaking the seal on the different trybes primals, for all we know the gesthal empire could have purposly done this in order to make the different beast tribes the enemy and garner support. What we know is that before the empire killed him, the primals where sealed, and once he died ifrit and titan where unleashed.
____________________________
MUTED
#16 Apr 08 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Xoie wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I don't think Tera's Theme is actually going to be in the game. I think that was just for the intro video of the Magitek.


I would hope not, but it just kinda reinforced that the Magitek was added entirely for nostalgia baiting (but that much was obvious).

I really like the idea of Magitek possibly being a recurring Final Fantasy element, but I think they should have done their own unique spin on it. That's my opinion.

The copy and pasted design to tug at the heartstrings of anyone who really likes FFVI seems a bit... desperate.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 6:22pm by Killua125


WoW has characters and nostalgia from the Warcraft series.
LotR has characters and nostalgia from the Lord of the Rings series.
AoC has characters and nostalgia from the Conan series.
Ultima Online has characters and nostalgia from the Ultima series.
SWtOR has characters and nostalgia from the Star Wars series.

FFXIV has characters and nostalgia from the FF series? Say it ain't so!



WOW is Warcraft.
Lotor is Lord of the Rings.
Swotor is KOTOR.

FFXIV is an individual entry into the series, just like XI was, XI did it right, they had their own spin, w/o directly copying from the series, unless you are telling me XIV IS VI/XII ?
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Apr 08 2013 at 4:38 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Xoie wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I don't think Tera's Theme is actually going to be in the game. I think that was just for the intro video of the Magitek.


I would hope not, but it just kinda reinforced that the Magitek was added entirely for nostalgia baiting (but that much was obvious).

I really like the idea of Magitek possibly being a recurring Final Fantasy element, but I think they should have done their own unique spin on it. That's my opinion.

The copy and pasted design to tug at the heartstrings of anyone who really likes FFVI seems a bit... desperate.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 6:22pm by Killua125


WoW has characters and nostalgia from the Warcraft series.
LotR has characters and nostalgia from the Lord of the Rings series.
AoC has characters and nostalgia from the Conan series.
Ultima Online has characters and nostalgia from the Ultima series.
SWtOR has characters and nostalgia from the Star Wars series.

FFXIV has characters and nostalgia from the FF series? Say it ain't so!



Yeah, I get that. I think it's cool that they wanted to add Magitek to their lore and setting, but I just feel that they should have done their own unique thing. The current design is copy & pasted directly out of VI, with not even a slight tweak. That feels sort of desperate.

The real thing I'm worried about is its lore. Is the concept of Magitek going to be well implemented and fleshed out? Intelligent? If it feels shoehorned in for fanservice (which is how it seems right now) that'll be a real bummer. (I know, I know. It's Garlean technology! I'm gonna need a lot more than that to justify its place in XIV.)

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 6:42pm by Killua125
#18 Apr 08 2013 at 4:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Well, it's not 16-bit.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#19 Apr 08 2013 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
**
858 posts
For me it depends. I would rather have my memories of epic battles with different cool weapons from VII and get that nostalgic feeling when thinking about them than have them appear as lame zergfest FATEs in ARR.

So it just depends on implementation for me. If they can somewhat manage to live up to the memories from VII go for it, I am all for fan service and more content, but if they can't I'd rather they stay as good memories from VII.
#20 Apr 08 2013 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
Ostia wrote:
SaitoMishima wrote:
Ostia wrote:
No weapons please, XIV already borrowed enough from VII, also if you payed any attention to the storyline in XIV, we already have weapons, they are called Primals, they are the weapons of XIV (They fit the same story/lore as weapons did in VII.)

Now i am all for some giant robotic magitech entitiy that we have to kick its *** on board an Airship, but copying another FF ? No thanks.

Oh wow I never thought about that.. Wel wait, I thought weapons were made to fight off threats to the planet? From what I have read it seemed more like the primals are a drag on the planet and we have o defeat the so they wont suck all the life out of the planet.. Doesnt that make them more equivalent to a mako reactor? lol.. I could be wrong though. Please correct if I am. Also I wouldnt mind FFXIV having Ultima Weapon as that one is in a couple of FFs so it would fit the lore to maybe be in this one also. But weapons like ruby weapon and those side ones that only apear in FFVII I feel like those have less of a place..

Also I would like to say that I know some deslike the idea of older FF stuff being in XIV but I think its kind of a good thing because it advertises those new to FF IP t go and check out futre FFs but also go back and experience the classics like 6 and 7 or even further back. Some people like to make the argument that XIV shouldnt have older themes but if you are a true FF fan you will welcome old references or older themes being implemented. I say this based on people wanting so many remakes and upgrades to HD etc. Again, I know some may not agree. But this is my view of things


Weapons where made by the planet in order to protect itself from Jenova (Tho they where never used againts jenova in the past) and they are made from huge ammounts of mako, Primals or Eikons are also beings created by the planet and are only able to be summoned by their tribe, yes they do consume a lot of energy to summon and affect the enviorement, but so does the garlean empire using crystals and aether to power its empire, which is why the beast man have summoned their primals, and actually the garlean empire is the reason why the beast tribes where able to summon their Primals, Midgardsormn(Which i do not know if was a primal or an entity protecting the seal on primals) was attacked by the imperial aerial fleet and killed, thus breaking the seal on the different trybes primals, for all we know the gesthal empire could have purposly done this in order to make the different beast tribes the enemy and garner support. What we know is that before the empire killed him, the primals where sealed, and once he died ifrit and titan where unleashed.


Oh ok cool I missed that.. Only got to read about it here and there didnt get to actually go through the story since I quit playing during 1.0 and dint hear about how the game was getting better untill it was a few weeks away from shuting down the servers to prepare for ARR.. Thanks for the info
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#21 Apr 08 2013 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I personally don't want a whole lot of fanservice stuffed in unless it actually belongs. It doesn't seem like this belongs.

Using the exact same Magitek design from FFVI and even playing Terra's Theme along with it is already tacky enough.

They forced in an actual LORE ELEMENT for baiting nostalgia. Ehh... it's cool, but no more of that please.

inb4 flame because you love Magiteks. I also do, and I love FFVI, but... if the concept of Magitek was to exist in XIV and they wanted to do it in an intelligent way, they probably could have at least TWEAKED the design of it. Right now it's purely for fanservice.


I thought the Garlean Empire was supposed to be technologically superior. They had magitek machines. This was the lore even before Yoshi took over. As for the tweaked design, why would it matter? There were several magitek machines roaming the fields to fight. They were different in design and function. The wings on the traditional armor have a likeness to the tiny wings on the cylindrical flying machines that we were introduced to in the intro. You're phrasing things in a way that suggests that the introduction of them doesn't fit into the world when they do. What would be the purpose of changing the traditional design? Besides the fact that it would make you happy. Can you give an intelligent reason to change it?

"Garlemald is unsurpassed in the field of magitek, a technology which it exploits with devastating effectiveness in warfare. Unperturbed by their lesser numbers, the Garleans went forth upon gigantic flying warships, bearing powerful weaponry the likes of which the world had never seen. One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent. Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory. So it was that the Garlean Empire came into existence." The back story on the Garlean Empire before ARR came into existence.

It doesn't belong you say? Forced you say? It must be interesting inside your brain. I don't care if you claim to love Final Fantasy VI. Changing an iconic design that everyone can relate to, "just because," isn't intelligent. It's actually quite shallow.

The idea of a Final Fantasy MMO is something that I thought would have a large amount of material to work from. Seeing as all inventions use pre existing ideas to build upon. It's actually quite amazing how they ****** up FFXIV. When the classes were released, I did some reading to enlighten myself as to what a pugilist and thaumaturge was. What was wrong with the traditional job names? You had decades of games to get ideas from and you decide to start from scratch? In current MMOs, there is usually an ability to enchant a weapon, giving it extra properties. When Yoshi introduced the materia system, "BAM!" I thought. There you have it, an enchantment system that we expect from a current MMO, but within the Final Fantasy universe. Why would you try to find some other complicated name to call it when you have source material that makes it very "Final Fantasy" in nature?

The Final Fantasy movie was a pretty good one imo. Yet, there was nothing Final Fantasy about it. You could have called it something else and it probably would have had a more positive reception. That's just my opinion. Pure originality is very difficult. It usually takes a genius to pull it off. We've been using that word too much in recent years. That word is reserved for those people who do create wonderful things from almost nothing, or introduce things we didn't realize existed.

Your criticisms are valid as far as you are entitled to make them. What's most common with people like you, is that you couldn't think of anything that rivals or surpasses the things that you critique. Creating a new MMO from scratch would be very difficult imo. There are so many stories that tell it all. How can that new MMO you showed off called Bless, produce fan service? It can't, unless they were known for something else before. If you have a long history of support and love from fans, then fan service is the intelligent thing to do. We all love nostalgia. It makes no ******* difference how YOU personally perceive it. Final Fantasy VI wasn't my favorite, yet I can still appreciate it. The title is called Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. If it's a part of the series, it's not going to be very difficult in finding a reason for it to exist (That's what story writing is for). Instead of calling him Bahamut, they could have just called him "Dragon King" or "The Dragon," and he destroyed villages and landscape with his "Dragon Blast." I feel special already. I'm surprised you're not complaining about the tired, "end of the world/must save it" cliche.
#22 Apr 08 2013 at 5:57 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Basically, Final Fantasy games usually do use repeated elements like you said, but they always have a unique spin on them. The reason being because they all take place in entirely different fictional universes.

Why tweak the design? Because they're different universes and I'm wondering why FFVI is in FFXIV.

I would understand the return of Magitek technology but I just didn't like seeing that the exact design was being reused, in different universes. It just felt a little desperate.

It's just my opinion, but FFXIV is already struggling to have its own identity. Copy & pasting from other games isn't the way to achieve that.

Final Fantasy games always have recurring elements from the brand name, like airships, chocobos, moogles, summons, and so on- but they all have their own interpretation. Yes, there's always a Bahamut - but they never just rip his design and reuse it for nostalgia purposes. That's a cop out.

*I'm aware that I basically said the same thing 5 times, but I want to make sure you understand.

I think XIV should have done something intelligent and unique and come up with its own interpretation for Magitek, rather than "Look everybody! It's the Magitek you know and love from FFVI! Here's Terra's Theme to drive it home, please buy our game! PLEASE, MY JOB IS ON THE LINE, PLEASE BUY IT"

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 7:58pm by Killua125
#23 Apr 08 2013 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Intelligent and unique how? Looking at design. It's actually quite perfect. I've actually looked at some of the art work and ask myself, "what can I add to it?" Changing it just to change it isn't smart at all. I already stated that there are magitek armors that we have fought and destroyed in game, that were different. Would you alter the design of the moogle? They have always made subtle changes. If you look at the original design and the one from FFXIV, there are subtle differences. How much do you change before it becomes something else entirely? What background music should they play while showing it? Oh I know, the Sephiroth theme. Or, they should have spent time writing a completely new piece. Writing 'good' music is so easy. While riding a chocobo, they play the iconic chocobo theme (Note I said theme), as a cop out, to drive the nostalgia home. They should totally come up with something new. Smiley: rolleyes

One iconic design that we ALL love, while all other magitek designs look original, is a sign of desperation in your head. Using your logic, putting relic weapons in ARR means they're pulling at people's desire to get the ultimate weapons, while snagging those FFXI players who had hopes of a relic. They should have called it something else. "Final Weapons!" You know, I'm starting to like this unique creativity stuff.

To be honest, I'm actually picky myself. I don't explore or comment outside of what I like. I have missed out on many anime and games because of that. However, I wasn't vocal about it. (I actually hated Final Fantasy! Smiley: blush I thought it was weird. I didn't voice my hate to everyone. Playing Final Fantasy VI and VII sure fixed my face!) However, if something fits my genre, I'm usually pretty open to it. As someone who draws and plays music, I admire when people create. I even borrow themes and Ideas for my own spin on things, but I can't deny that their creativity inspired me or built a foundation. I understand the difficulties of creating something. (Something I don't think you've grasped) I can appreciate someone's effort. Usually, a movie, game or piece of music has to be REALLY bad for me to care enough to say something negative about it. In my entire life, FFXIV and the movie "The Last Air Bender" take the cake. It's sad, because they both had the foundation ready for them. (There might be others according to other people, but since they don't fit my genre, I wouldn't have been interested to begin with, so I have no comment)

If the actual armor was a major story element, maybe. Such as, it's the Armor from the Gods or some crap like that. It's the only tool able to crush the empire. Then..... I'd be like, Smiley: dubious. A mount for fans? Yea, get over it.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:15pm by GDLYL
#24 Apr 08 2013 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
I'd have no issues with them re-using things from previous games, especially mobs since most of them are repeated anyways. Do you REALLY need that much background story on something like Ruby Weapon sitting alone in a desert? Just plop something similar in Eorza, making it really **** hard to defeat and requiring a large number of players. You think Tiamat showed up for the first time in XI? nope, did anyone care? nope.
____________________________

#25 Apr 08 2013 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Basically, Final Fantasy games usually do use repeated elements like you said, but they always have a unique spin on them. The reason being because they all take place in entirely different fictional universes.

Why tweak the design? Because they're different universes and I'm wondering why FFVI is in FFXIV.

I would understand the return of Magitek technology but I just didn't like seeing that the exact design was being reused, in different universes. It just felt a little desperate.

It's just my opinion, but FFXIV is already struggling to have its own identity. Copy & pasting from other games isn't the way to achieve that.

Final Fantasy games always have recurring elements from the brand name, like airships, chocobos, moogles, summons, and so on- but they all have their own interpretation. Yes, there's always a Bahamut - but they never just rip his design and reuse it for nostalgia purposes. That's a cop out.

*I'm aware that I basically said the same thing 5 times, but I want to make sure you understand.

I think XIV should have done something intelligent and unique and come up with its own interpretation for Magitek, rather than "Look everybody! It's the Magitek you know and love from FFVI! Here's Terra's Theme to drive it home, please buy our game! PLEASE, MY JOB IS ON THE LINE, PLEASE BUY IT"

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 7:58pm by Killua125


Lol this made me chuckle.. While I understand your point to some degree Kilua, this is indeed an MMO that has to bounce back after 1.0. I understand it seems like a desperate move but when you pick one things out of the entire picture OF COURSE it is going to seem that way. While XIV may not be some incredibly revolutionary game, it is indeed adding a bunch of content as a whole that is seperate from other Final Fantasies.

I agree completely that they shouldnt just copy and paste from other games, but implementing simple fan service(by adding magitek that looks like ff6, which isnt random but indeed fits with the story as has already been pointed out) for fans who loved FFVI shouldnt be a point of discontentment.

In the same way that you want them to re-image magitek im sure their are others out there who would throw a fit if they made something like FFVI magitek but changed how its looks compared to VI. I say this because think of XI. People are out there flamming FFXIV because its not more like XI in that its faster paced and there are classes that can eventualy move to a more specified role(job). You have half the population screaming for change and another half screaming to stick to origin. How do you please all of your fans? By keeping some elements but also changing others. In this case the magitek looks closely familiar but something like Ifrit was completely re-imagined physicaly. Not the best example but you understand my point hopefuly.

FFXIV is not suppose to be another FFXI.. At the same time it isnt suppose to be completely original either. Think about it, everytime SE goes for straight originality they fail. The Final Fantasy movie for instace lol. It failed hard. Advent Children was outstanding. People want the original but at the same time they want change. Its hard to find the middle ground is all I am saying. Knowing that, again I would say, ffvi magitek shouldnt be a point of discontentment. Just my 2 cents
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#26 Apr 08 2013 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
GDLYL wrote:
Intelligent and unique how? Looking at design. It's actually quite perfect. I've actually looked at some of the art work and ask myself, "what can I add to it?" Changing it just to change it isn't smart at all. I already stated that there are magitek armors that we have fought and destroyed in game, that were different. Would you alter the design of the moogle? They have always made subtle changes. If you look at the original design and the one from FFXIV, there are subtle differences. How much do you change before it becomes something else entirely? What background music should they play while showing it? Oh I know, the Sephiroth theme. Or, they should have spent time writing a completely new piece. Writing 'good' music is so easy. While riding a chocobo, they play the iconic chocobo theme (Note I said theme), as a cop out, to drive the nostalgia home. They should totally come up with something new. Smiley: rolleyes

One iconic design that we ALL love, while all other magitek designs look original, is a sign of desperation in your head. Using your logic, putting relic weapons in ARR means they're pulling at people's desire to get the ultimate weapons, while snagging those FFXI players who had hopes of a relic. They should have called it something else. "Final Weapons!" You know, I'm starting to like this unique creativity stuff.

To be honest, I'm actually picky myself. I don't explore or comment outside of what I like. I have missed out on many anime and games because of that. However, I wasn't vocal about it. (I actually hated Final Fantasy! Smiley: blush I thought it was weird. I didn't voice my hate to everyone. Playing Final Fantasy VI and VII sure fixed my face!) However, if something fits my genre, I'm usually pretty open to it. As someone who draws and plays music, I admire when people create. I even borrow themes and Ideas for my own spin on things, but I can't deny that their creativity inspired me or built a foundation. I understand the difficulties of creating something. (Something I don't think you've grasped) I can appreciate someone's effort. Usually, a movie, game or piece of music has to be REALLY bad for me to care enough to say something negative about it. In my entire life, FFXIV and the movie "The Last Air Bender" take the cake. It's sad, because they both had the foundation ready for them. (There might be others according to other people, but since they don't fit my genre, I wouldn't have been interested to begin with, so I have no comment)

If the actual armor was a major story element, maybe. Such as, it's the Armor from the Gods or some crap like that. It's the only tool able to crush the empire. Then..... I'd be like, Smiley: dubious. A mount for fans? Yea, get over it.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:15pm by GDLYL


Wow.. I love this.. That is exactly it lol.
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#27 Apr 08 2013 at 7:31 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
GDLYL wrote:
Intelligent and unique how? Looking at design. It's actually quite perfect.


They could do something different and equally awesome.

GDLYL wrote:
What background music should they play while showing it? Oh I know, the Sephiroth theme. Or, they should have spent time writing a completely new piece. Writing 'good' music is so easy. While riding a chocobo, they play the iconic chocobo theme (Note I said theme), as a cop out, to drive the nostalgia home. They should totally come up with something new. Smiley: rolleyes


You are right, they should have. Playing Terra's music from FFVI is a little bit desperate.

It's all opinions. It's fine if you like it, but I still say it's kind of tacky fanservice.

By the way, my argument isn't ONLY about Magitek (though that is pretty bad, with the direct copy & pasted design and Terra's Theme). The issue is that FFXIV doesn't really have any identity of its own. I like how Final Fantasy games usually create their own thing. They all have something unique about them... what does FFXIV really have that's its own?

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:35pm by Killua125
#28 Apr 08 2013 at 7:38 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I'd have no issues with them re-using things from previous games, especially mobs since most of them are repeated anyways. Do you REALLY need that much background story on something like Ruby Weapon sitting alone in a desert? Just plop something similar in Eorza, making it really **** hard to defeat and requiring a large number of players. You think Tiamat showed up for the first time in XI? nope, did anyone care? nope.


Lol honestly I dont care either. The more fan service the BETTER for me! Although that is how I feel I CAN however understand the arguments from others that just throwing stuff out there randomly with no rhyme or reason can seem desperate and at some point yes it will eventualy not make any sense. This is afterall a MMO that tells a story. Cant just have something random out there for no reason. Im not saying make the backstory significant but something cant just be out there for no reason.. Has to make sense to fans and newcomers alike not just be there.
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#29 Apr 08 2013 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
*
229 posts
Killua125 wrote:
GDLYL wrote:
Intelligent and unique how? Looking at design. It's actually quite perfect.


They could do something different and equally awesome.

GDLYL wrote:
What background music should they play while showing it? Oh I know, the Sephiroth theme. Or, they should have spent time writing a completely new piece. Writing 'good' music is so easy. While riding a chocobo, they play the iconic chocobo theme (Note I said theme), as a cop out, to drive the nostalgia home. They should totally come up with something new. Smiley: rolleyes


You are right, they should have. Playing Terra's music from FFVI is a little bit desperate.

It's all opinions. It's fine if you like it, but I still say it's kind of tacky fanservice.

By the way, my argument isn't ONLY about Magitek (though that is pretty bad, with the direct copy & pasted design and Terra's Theme). The issue is that FFXIV doesn't really have any identity of its own. I like how Final Fantasy games usually create their own thing. They all have something unique about them... what does FFXIV really have that's its own?

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:35pm by Killua125


I have one question. Thta fan service was just for the producer letter right? I dont think that ACTUAL scene will be in ARR.. Magitek yeah but that exact scene with her theme playing no.. That was just for fun for people watching the letter...
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#30 Apr 08 2013 at 7:51 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
To me it seemed like a unique arrangement for Terra's Theme... I don't think they would create it just for a Live Letter?

Even if I'm wrong on that, I would have rather them come up with unique XIV designs. I think this Square Enix mentality of relying on their old successful titles for nostalgia, and old iconic stuff, is getting stale. They're milking everything to death. Now even FFVI stuff. When will it end?

How about they start creating NEW awesome stuff, NEW iconic designs? or are they not competent enough? My two cents

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:53pm by Killua125
#31 Apr 08 2013 at 8:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Killua125 wrote:
To me it seemed like a unique arrangement for Terra's Theme... I don't think they would create it just for a Live Letter?

Even if I'm wrong on that, I would have rather them come up with unique XIV designs. I think this Square Enix mentality of relying on their old successful titles for nostalgia, and old iconic stuff, is getting stale. They're milking everything to death. Now even FFVI stuff. When will it end?

How about they start creating NEW awesome stuff, NEW iconic designs? or are they not competent enough? My two cents

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 9:53pm by Killua125


Oh sir...

You should google "Everything is a Remix." You might find it interesting. What you're asking for is something that should only be done in a single player/offline Final Fantasy. A game that is supposed to last 10 years? I think not. Use the job names and classes people grew to love over the past decades. Use traditional icons, but with a completely different story. You do realize that we're going to be playing another game where the world is in peril and we must save it right? Is there any way to spice that up? Change it some how? Make it more AWESOME?

I have a question for you. How would to make the ninja job unique? Actually, any job! I would like you to personally suggest how you could improve or come up with something that hasn't been done before. How much do you add or subtract to it so it's still recognizable as a ninja, but different enough that it's new. Then we can discuss competency. I'm also curious about how highly you think of yourself.



Edited, Apr 8th 2013 10:17pm by GDLYL
#32 Apr 08 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
It's kind of pointless to have a discussion with you. You're not even considering my point of view, and why I would rather see new designs than old recycled themes and copy pasted designs.

Nostalgia is powerful, I get it. I just would have preferred if they didn't copy paste Final Fantasy VI designs and character themes into a game set in a different universe. Your argument is kind of going all over the place. I've stated what I don't like... you like it. Stop trying to turn a discussion into an argument.

And no, I'm not a professional. That "If [x] is so bad, why don't YOU come up with something better!" argument is awful. Sorry that I expect more from a multi-billion dollar company.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 10:28pm by Killua125
#33 Apr 08 2013 at 9:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
122 posts
You have to consider that the design for an mmo and a single player RPG are very different. reusing these kinds of elements [world specific content] in a single player rpg would be short selling the fans, but I think it fits pretty well into the structure of an mmo's design. I think an mmo benefits from filling its world with a large quantity of varied content from older source materiel. The integrity of the story is less of a priority in my opinion, but I don't think it will even be effected if they implement this in a tasteful way that fits with the games atmosphere.

I'm fairly certain that they did say that the music guy at the Q&A improvised it during the session. I don't think it would be that hard to do. So all it is really is the megitech armor which I'm fine with. It's completely different than the original form that we had in FF6, which obviously couldn't match the artwork like this one does. We never got to control one like this. So it's not like they're sticking Terra into the story or anything. Cloud and Sephiroth aren't gonna pop up and start fighting for no reason.

I'm happy with them using these elements more liberally anyway. It sets this game apart from FFXI which chose not to do this. Yoshi-P said awhile back that they'd be doing this. There are actually a lot of things I'm looking foreword to because of this.

Like everything else, if it's well made it will be good.
____________________________
Mikey- server Ramuh
I haven't payed taxes in four years! I'm not gettin busted by a ssamwich! ><
#34 Apr 08 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Killua125 wrote:
It's kind of pointless to have a discussion with you. You're not even considering my point of view, and why I would rather see new designs than old recycled themes and copy pasted designs.

Nostalgia is powerful, I get it. I just would have preferred if they didn't copy paste Final Fantasy VI designs and character themes into a game set in a different universe. Your argument is kind of going all over the place. I've stated what I don't like... you like it. Stop trying to turn a discussion into an argument.

And no, I'm not a professional. That "If [x] is so bad, why don't YOU come up with something better!" argument is awful. Sorry that I expect more from a multi-billion dollar company.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 10:28pm by Killua125


I fully understand your POV. I just haven't had that POV since I was a child. When things always had to go my way, or it was the worst thing ever. It has nothing to do with being a professional. Every single thing wrong with the original FFXIV release had a far better idea. Ideas that were stated repeatedly by fans. You could have easily come up with thousands of ideas that would have been better. Yet, the game was still made public. After watching public videos I realized that I preferred the 1.23 combat system. That tells me that it's personal. It doesn't speak ill of the new system, or make it the WORST THING EVER. I can simply state that I have a preference. That's not what you're doing however, and I won't allow you to claim that you are. Talks of desperation, company destruction, job termination, and nefarious plots to use old material to lure fans in. You're being extremely dramatic/hyperbolic. You're also not very complex, and responding to you is a catharsis from a long Monday. I am entertained, and I appreciate you. Smiley: inlove

Final Fantasy has been reviewed by critics for many years now. When have you heard a critic say, "They need to come up with a new identity for this game. They used that tired old Chocobo theme." The games were considered good or bad by various people, but no one ever shared your POV. In fact, people have complained over and over how they're deviating from what made it Final Fantasy in the first place. (Yoshi's plan that he said publicly is that, he wants people to see Final Fantasy soon as they see this game. How do you think he's going to accomplish that?)You're a pathological complainer, I get that. My argument is still the same. Why change something, simply just to change it? Or more specifically, why change something just because Killua wants it changed? As an intelligent person, when I have an issue with something, I usually assume it's on my end. If it's easy for me to come up with improvements, then I shift it towards the person who created it. If I'm stumped however, then my dislike for it would have to be something personal. You seem to have a personal issue. You can throw around "intelligent and unique" all you like. You are neither, not because I think you're stupid, but because you're wasting it. I'm explaining to you the creative process in relation to our feelings. I don't share your entitlements, therefore I can appreciate the old and the new, even simultaneouslySmiley: eek. You would ignore all the positives and poke at 3 negatives and talk of Revelations/end of days. It's very easy to have a discussion/argument with you. I'm doing you a favor, be grateful.Smiley: smile

Again, there are differences in the FFXIV version of the magitek, and you already posted that they played a "unique" song when they showed the live letter. That is not copy paste. They were both different enough, but still retained enough similarities to remind a person of VI. What you're asking for is what they did in 1.0.



Edited, Apr 9th 2013 1:24am by GDLYL
#35 Apr 08 2013 at 11:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Smiley: popcorn
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#36 Apr 09 2013 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Like any thematic element, it is neither an inherently good nor inherently bad idea. It all depends upon the execution.

Having said that, with context to what the games are and their tendency to draw heavily on nostalgia (which is part of what has made the series so great), I think it's a potentially good idea to include them (which is the best anyone can say). They were successful in FF7 and something that people remember fondly. If the new versions successfully honor that tradition, most people will like it.

As for these throwbacks being "desperate", that's an impression informed by their previous failure. Would you say that it was desperate if they did it in 1.0? No. Whether it's desperate or not is irrelevant. By all rights they SHOULD be desperate. The only thing that matters is if it's good.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#37 Apr 09 2013 at 1:09 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
GDLYL wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
It's kind of pointless to have a discussion with you. You're not even considering my point of view, and why I would rather see new designs than old recycled themes and copy pasted designs.

Nostalgia is powerful, I get it. I just would have preferred if they didn't copy paste Final Fantasy VI designs and character themes into a game set in a different universe. Your argument is kind of going all over the place. I've stated what I don't like... you like it. Stop trying to turn a discussion into an argument.

And no, I'm not a professional. That "If [x] is so bad, why don't YOU come up with something better!" argument is awful. Sorry that I expect more from a multi-billion dollar company.

Edited, Apr 8th 2013 10:28pm by Killua125


I fully understand your POV. I just haven't had that POV since I was a child. When things always had to go my way, or it was the worst thing ever. It has nothing to do with being a professional. Every single thing wrong with the original FFXIV release had a far better idea. Ideas that were stated repeatedly by fans. You could have easily come up with thousands of ideas that would have been better. Yet, the game was still made public. After watching public videos I realized that I preferred the 1.23 combat system. That tells me that it's personal. It doesn't speak ill of the new system, or make it the WORST THING EVER. I can simply state that I have a preference. That's not what you're doing however, and I won't allow you to claim that you are. Talks of desperation, company destruction, job termination, and nefarious plots to use old material to lure fans in. You're being extremely dramatic/hyperbolic. You're also not very complex, and responding to you is a catharsis from a long Monday. I am entertained, and I appreciate you. Smiley: inlove

Final Fantasy has been reviewed by critics for many years now. When have you heard a critic say, "They need to come up with a new identity for this game. They used that tired old Chocobo theme." The games were considered good or bad by various people, but no one ever shared your POV. In fact, people have complained over and over how they're deviating from what made it Final Fantasy in the first place. (Yoshi's plan that he said publicly is that, he wants people to see Final Fantasy soon as they see this game. How do you think he's going to accomplish that?)You're a pathological complainer, I get that. My argument is still the same. Why change something, simply just to change it? Or more specifically, why change something just because Killua wants it changed? As an intelligent person, when I have an issue with something, I usually assume it's on my end. If it's easy for me to come up with improvements, then I shift it towards the person who created it. If I'm stumped however, then my dislike for it would have to be something personal. You seem to have a personal issue. You can throw around "intelligent and unique" all you like. You are neither, not because I think you're stupid, but because you're wasting it. I'm explaining to you the creative process in relation to our feelings. I don't share your entitlements, therefore I can appreciate the old and the new, even simultaneouslySmiley: eek. You would ignore all the positives and poke at 3 negatives and talk of Revelations/end of days. It's very easy to have a discussion/argument with you. I'm doing you a favor, be grateful.Smiley: smile

Again, there are differences in the FFXIV version of the magitek, and you already posted that they played a "unique" song when they showed the live letter. That is not copy paste. They were both different enough, but still retained enough similarities to remind a person of VI. What you're asking for is what they did in 1.0.



Edited, Apr 9th 2013 1:24am by GDLYL


Just to be clear, there are no differences in the magitek armor in VI and the magitek armor in XIV, and they played terras theme... I dont see how that is unique is terras theme.
____________________________
MUTED
#38 Apr 09 2013 at 2:17 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Honestly, the repetition and lack of good music in MMOs is a real problem. For games that you're expected to play for thousands of hours, they frequently have about 2 hours of cumulative music. Considering they have about a thousand good tracks at their disposal, from my perspective they're in a position where they can and should be rearranging and using them. They're probably one of the only MMOs that actually has that ability to source music, and they're playing by the same restrictions as every other MMO in the industry (in that for some reason they seem to feel like they have to have completely new tracks). Not smart.

Edited, Apr 9th 2013 1:17am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#39 Apr 09 2013 at 3:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
There are differences, they're just really irrelevant imo. He called it unique, not I.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff6/graphics/screen/ff6-35.jpg

http://download.minitokyo.net/Final.Fantasy.VI.481125.jpg

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-01/art/ff1-ff6-terra_magitek2.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090528231550/finalfantasy/images/2/23/MTekShoopDaWoop.png

You can still tell what it is even though they're all different.


I agree Kaichi. However, I think it's a good idea to introduce a new composer so someone else can make a name for themselves. That's about the only thing I can say against that. If that composer is bad however... The Piano Collections have always been superior to me, except for To Zanarkand. So a remixing of the song history may not be such a bad idea.
#40 Apr 09 2013 at 7:07 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
I called it "unique" as in it's a new recording of the song. I doubt it would have been created just for 30 seconds in a trailer.
#41 Apr 09 2013 at 9:10 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
FYI, there are about a dozen remixes for Terra's Theme already. My sound, as always, was out when I viewed the video, but they are 1. orchestral remixes 2. an awesome vocal remix that switches up the melody and harmony (from the FF Pray album) and even a pretty crappy rap remix. Even if it's not the original one, there's no need to assume it was made just for the trailer. And even if it WAS made just for the trailer, it could have been the composer having fun.

Did you know there are lyrics to Terra's Theme?
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#42 Apr 09 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Lol, I didn't know about the Rap version. I must investigate.
#43 Apr 09 2013 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
There's a whole hip-hop album that sounded like someone mixed it in their mom's basement that came out two decades ago or so. It's honestly the least worthy of anything anyone has come out with FF music wise and I think Nobue Uematsu denies its existence because he was drunk when he did it. It's called FF Mix. There's also Majestic Mix, which was not done by Uematsu but is instead just a tribute album.

The chocobo theme on FF Mix it is pretty good, though.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#44 Apr 09 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
GDLYL wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
I personally don't want a whole lot of fanservice stuffed in unless it actually belongs. It doesn't seem like this belongs.

Using the exact same Magitek design from FFVI and even playing Terra's Theme along with it is already tacky enough.

They forced in an actual LORE ELEMENT for baiting nostalgia. Ehh... it's cool, but no more of that please.

inb4 flame because you love Magiteks. I also do, and I love FFVI, but... if the concept of Magitek was to exist in XIV and they wanted to do it in an intelligent way, they probably could have at least TWEAKED the design of it. Right now it's purely for fanservice.


I thought the Garlean Empire was supposed to be technologically superior. They had magitek machines. This was the lore even before Yoshi took over. As for the tweaked design, why would it matter? There were several magitek machines roaming the fields to fight. They were different in design and function. The wings on the traditional armor have a likeness to the tiny wings on the cylindrical flying machines that we were introduced to in the intro. You're phrasing things in a way that suggests that the introduction of them doesn't fit into the world when they do. What would be the purpose of changing the traditional design? Besides the fact that it would make you happy. Can you give an intelligent reason to change it?

"Garlemald is unsurpassed in the field of magitek, a technology which it exploits with devastating effectiveness in warfare. Unperturbed by their lesser numbers, the Garleans went forth upon gigantic flying warships, bearing powerful weaponry the likes of which the world had never seen. One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent. Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory. So it was that the Garlean Empire came into existence." The back story on the Garlean Empire before ARR came into existence.

It doesn't belong you say? Forced you say? It must be interesting inside your brain. I don't care if you claim to love Final Fantasy VI. Changing an iconic design that everyone can relate to, "just because," isn't intelligent. It's actually quite shallow.

The idea of a Final Fantasy MMO is something that I thought would have a large amount of material to work from. Seeing as all inventions use pre existing ideas to build upon. It's actually quite amazing how they @#%^ed up FFXIV. When the classes were released, I did some reading to enlighten myself as to what a pugilist and thaumaturge was. What was wrong with the traditional job names? You had decades of games to get ideas from and you decide to start from scratch? In current MMOs, there is usually an ability to enchant a weapon, giving it extra properties. When Yoshi introduced the materia system, "BAM!" I thought. There you have it, an enchantment system that we expect from a current MMO, but within the Final Fantasy universe. Why would you try to find some other complicated name to call it when you have source material that makes it very "Final Fantasy" in nature?

The Final Fantasy movie was a pretty good one imo. Yet, there was nothing Final Fantasy about it. You could have called it something else and it probably would have had a more positive reception. That's just my opinion. Pure originality is very difficult. It usually takes a genius to pull it off. We've been using that word too much in recent years. That word is reserved for those people who do create wonderful things from almost nothing, or introduce things we didn't realize existed.

Your criticisms are valid as far as you are entitled to make them. What's most common with people like you, is that you couldn't think of anything that rivals or surpasses the things that you critique. Creating a new MMO from scratch would be very difficult imo. There are so many stories that tell it all. How can that new MMO you showed off called Bless, produce fan service? It can't, unless they were known for something else before. If you have a long history of support and love from fans, then fan service is the intelligent thing to do. We all love nostalgia. It makes no @#%^ing difference how YOU personally perceive it. Final Fantasy VI wasn't my favorite, yet I can still appreciate it. The title is called Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. If it's a part of the series, it's not going to be very difficult in finding a reason for it to exist (That's what story writing is for). Instead of calling him Bahamut, they could have just called him "Dragon King" or "The Dragon," and he destroyed villages and landscape with his "Dragon Blast." I feel special already. I'm surprised you're not complaining about the tired, "end of the world/must save it" cliche.

I see no problem with weapons being introduced. Weapons could be something produced by the garleans to fight the primals.
I'd rather have this weapon:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ultima_Weapon_(Final_Fantasy_VI)
But I don't know how they would retool this one.
#45 Apr 09 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Weapons are already confirmed to be coming in ARR.

http://static.finalfantasyxiv.com/topics/images/fe/79/4703_1.jpg

Edited, Apr 9th 2013 3:46pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#46 Apr 09 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
sandpark wrote:
GDLYL wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
I personally don't want a whole lot of fanservice stuffed in unless it actually belongs. It doesn't seem like this belongs.

Using the exact same Magitek design from FFVI and even playing Terra's Theme along with it is already tacky enough.

They forced in an actual LORE ELEMENT for baiting nostalgia. Ehh... it's cool, but no more of that please.

inb4 flame because you love Magiteks. I also do, and I love FFVI, but... if the concept of Magitek was to exist in XIV and they wanted to do it in an intelligent way, they probably could have at least TWEAKED the design of it. Right now it's purely for fanservice.


I thought the Garlean Empire was supposed to be technologically superior. They had magitek machines. This was the lore even before Yoshi took over. As for the tweaked design, why would it matter? There were several magitek machines roaming the fields to fight. They were different in design and function. The wings on the traditional armor have a likeness to the tiny wings on the cylindrical flying machines that we were introduced to in the intro. You're phrasing things in a way that suggests that the introduction of them doesn't fit into the world when they do. What would be the purpose of changing the traditional design? Besides the fact that it would make you happy. Can you give an intelligent reason to change it?

"Garlemald is unsurpassed in the field of magitek, a technology which it exploits with devastating effectiveness in warfare. Unperturbed by their lesser numbers, the Garleans went forth upon gigantic flying warships, bearing powerful weaponry the likes of which the world had never seen. One nation after the next fell before their relentless onslaught, first those of the northlands, followed by the sovereign states of the eastern continent. Employing suppression and conciliation in equal measure, Garlemald indoctrinated the peoples it conquered, thus integrating them into its ever-expanding territory. So it was that the Garlean Empire came into existence." The back story on the Garlean Empire before ARR came into existence.

It doesn't belong you say? Forced you say? It must be interesting inside your brain. I don't care if you claim to love Final Fantasy VI. Changing an iconic design that everyone can relate to, "just because," isn't intelligent. It's actually quite shallow.

The idea of a Final Fantasy MMO is something that I thought would have a large amount of material to work from. Seeing as all inventions use pre existing ideas to build upon. It's actually quite amazing how they @#%^ed up FFXIV. When the classes were released, I did some reading to enlighten myself as to what a pugilist and thaumaturge was. What was wrong with the traditional job names? You had decades of games to get ideas from and you decide to start from scratch? In current MMOs, there is usually an ability to enchant a weapon, giving it extra properties. When Yoshi introduced the materia system, "BAM!" I thought. There you have it, an enchantment system that we expect from a current MMO, but within the Final Fantasy universe. Why would you try to find some other complicated name to call it when you have source material that makes it very "Final Fantasy" in nature?

The Final Fantasy movie was a pretty good one imo. Yet, there was nothing Final Fantasy about it. You could have called it something else and it probably would have had a more positive reception. That's just my opinion. Pure originality is very difficult. It usually takes a genius to pull it off. We've been using that word too much in recent years. That word is reserved for those people who do create wonderful things from almost nothing, or introduce things we didn't realize existed.

Your criticisms are valid as far as you are entitled to make them. What's most common with people like you, is that you couldn't think of anything that rivals or surpasses the things that you critique. Creating a new MMO from scratch would be very difficult imo. There are so many stories that tell it all. How can that new MMO you showed off called Bless, produce fan service? It can't, unless they were known for something else before. If you have a long history of support and love from fans, then fan service is the intelligent thing to do. We all love nostalgia. It makes no @#%^ing difference how YOU personally perceive it. Final Fantasy VI wasn't my favorite, yet I can still appreciate it. The title is called Final Fantasy XIV: ARR. If it's a part of the series, it's not going to be very difficult in finding a reason for it to exist (That's what story writing is for). Instead of calling him Bahamut, they could have just called him "Dragon King" or "The Dragon," and he destroyed villages and landscape with his "Dragon Blast." I feel special already. I'm surprised you're not complaining about the tired, "end of the world/must save it" cliche.

I see no problem with weapons being introduced. Weapons could be something produced by the garleans to fight the primals.
I'd rather have this weapon:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ultima_Weapon_(Final_Fantasy_VI)
But I don't know how they would retool this one.



That's a pretty good idea, sir. The weapons being created to fight primals. It's a bit cliche, but it's the best excuse they could come up with. That, or the old, "Ancient Civilization" one.Smiley: lol If they prove me wrong and do something new, well great.

Oh yea! I completely forgot about that UKG! Thanks~

Edited, Apr 9th 2013 7:30pm by GDLYL
#47 Apr 09 2013 at 5:52 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I'd have no issues with them re-using things from previous games, especially mobs since most of them are repeated anyways. Do you REALLY need that much background story on something like Ruby Weapon sitting alone in a desert? Just plop something similar in Eorza, making it really **** hard to defeat and requiring a large number of players. You think Tiamat showed up for the first time in XI? nope, did anyone care? nope.


Yeah there are weapons in many FF titles:

Final Fantasy 1:
Screenshot
(GBA/iOS version)
Final Fantasy 5:
Screenshot

Final Fantasy 11:
Screenshot

Final Fantasy tactics A2:
Screenshot


etc etc.



____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#48 Apr 10 2013 at 1:31 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Depends on what weapons, Weapons from older titles up until VII where just super bosses, not required to beating the game, it was only in VII that they where part of the story, and only in that game, i am all up for them as long as they have no part or role in the story, just a super boss fight like in older FF, because tying them to the story, is even more borrowing from VII.
____________________________
MUTED
#49 Apr 10 2013 at 6:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Not sure if these would count, these were in the final battle when the Garlean Empire started invading Ul'dah. Assuming these survived Dalamud, I'm sure we'll see them again.

Screenshot

Screenshot

They're Magitek but they have a "weapony" feel to them, in miniature.

Edited, Apr 10th 2013 7:06am by Wint
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#50 Apr 10 2013 at 7:23 AM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
Wint wrote:
Not sure if these would count, these were in the final battle when the Garlean Empire started invading Ul'dah. Assuming these survived Dalamud, I'm sure we'll see them again.

[img=234742]

[img=234743]

They're Magitek but they have a "weapony" feel to them, in miniature.

Edited, Apr 10th 2013 7:06am by Wint


**** ;O
#51 Apr 10 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
Not sure if these would count, these were in the final battle when the Garlean Empire started invading Ul'dah. Assuming these survived Dalamud, I'm sure we'll see them again.

Screenshot

Screenshot

They're Magitek but they have a "weapony" feel to them, in miniature.

Edited, Apr 10th 2013 7:06am by Wint


Those are Magitek Armors, If you played VI, they look like how Magitek Armors actually looked in battle, with arms and stuff, not the dragon look they got in the CG of the game (The original look)
____________________________
MUTED
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 174 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (174)