Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

When can we expect a ZAM update?Follow

#1 Apr 16 2013 at 12:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
With ARR, potentially, around the corner... When can we expect a update to the forum site? Look, forum rooms, etc. Just wondering, perhaps you should talk with SE and time it with something they do to generate more hype with and for them. You know, like with the release of big details or something. Just wondering.
#2 Apr 16 2013 at 12:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Let me find out what I can say officially and I'll reply to this later this evening.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 Apr 16 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Yes Wint! Speak with Them!! We are almost to Beta phase 3 and no big surprises, no big media updates, no nothing.... Tell them seriously need a flood, but like a real one this time.
____________________________
MUTED
#4 Apr 16 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm not talking about speaking with Yoshi and co, I'm talking about asking my bosses what I'm allowed to divulge with regard to what Zam will be doing for ARR's launch.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 Apr 16 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Nice. I can't wait.
#6 Apr 16 2013 at 3:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Oooh. Now I'm intrigued.

Poor Wint is under double (NDA) right now.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#7 Apr 16 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
340 posts
The plot thickens!
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#8 Apr 16 2013 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
He technically violated the ZAM NDA by divulging that there may be something going on ^.~ The first rule about the NDA is ____________________________

I hope it's a complete forum wipe. While MMO's change over time, there's so much speculation/false and old 1.0 info on here that I think 2.0 would benefit from a fresh start.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#9 Apr 16 2013 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I say we hold Wint down and tickle his feet with a feather until he tells us what he knows!
#10 Apr 16 2013 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Perrin wrote:
I hope it's a complete forum wipe. While MMO's change over time, there's so much speculation/false and old 1.0 info on here that I think 2.0 would benefit from a fresh start.


I disagree.

I think they should offer free membership to everyone who uses the FFXIV forum while apologizing and promising to make it better. Then, while making marginal improvements over several months, reveal that they've been secretly working on ZAM FFXIV Forum 2.0 and they need our subscription dollars now to make it a success. Everyone who subscribes early will get a lifetime discount rate and a special chocobo avatar that proves you were there when it all happened.

Oh and Wint needs to take up heavy smoking and coffee drinking.
#11 Apr 16 2013 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
Catwho wrote:
Oooh. Now I'm intrigued.

Poor Wint is under double (NDA) right now.


If you count that trip to Vegas three years ago it is probably more like triple (NDA)! :P
#12 Apr 17 2013 at 6:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well I can't say anything definite yet. What else would you guys like to see? FFXIVHead? New forums? Other things that I'm not thinking of?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#13 Apr 17 2013 at 6:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
FFXIV-Head or better yet 'ARR-Head' (Just sounds cooler) would be nice.

And a visual forum update skin wise to reflect the change over is really due at this point.
#14 Apr 17 2013 at 6:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
My vote would be Mog-head actually Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Apr 17 2013 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
A new forum is fine - archive this one - but please keep it tied into the existing forum system. I like being able to surf between XI, XIV, and the cross site forums without having to bounce between websites.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Apr 17 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Catwho wrote:
A new forum is fine - archive this one - but please keep it tied into the existing forum system. I like being able to surf between XI, XIV, and the cross site forums without having to bounce between websites.


This. I've been on Zam since it was Allakhazam. Used it for FFXI in the beginning, then eventually moved to the WoW forums. Once Zam bought Wowhead, the Zam WoW forums died. There are a few of us still posting there, but its been a ghost town for a very long time.

So I vote for a total housecleaning of this forum since it is designated an official FFXIV forum, archive the old stuff, but don't go the [FFXIVwhatever]head route pls. I never liked Wowhead. If you go that route, I'll be a sad panda and probably not using the site.


____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#17 Apr 17 2013 at 6:26 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
I'm wondering if you'll give everyone the ability to Like! posts. Any news on that?

It seems like a strange setup where if you're not liked, you get less privileges.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 8:26pm by Killua125
#18 Apr 17 2013 at 6:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I'm wondering if you'll give everyone the ability to Like! posts. Any news on that?

It seems like a strange setup where if you're not liked, you get less privileges.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 8:26pm by Killua125


Because the unliked would use it to retaliate against everyone else. Stop being annoying and your karma might go up.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#19 Apr 17 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125
#20 Apr 17 2013 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good

Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


With you, it's easy, everyone votes you down!


Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:20pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#21 Apr 17 2013 at 7:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Not really, in all likelyhood we'd probably use a Reputation system similar to Wowhead's:

http://www.wowhead.com/reputation
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#22Killua125, Posted: Apr 17 2013 at 7:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That reputation system sounds better, but I don't really like the layout of those forums. It seems too cluttered.
#23 Apr 17 2013 at 8:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Yeah, the WoWhead forums are terribad. Please don't go that route. We all like the ZAM forum system. I mean, ****, we're here despite our resident trolls, right? I find the format comfortable to read, comfortable to update, and the karma system really does work (most of the time.)

If you want a clean slate, fine - do what all the FFXI closed server boards did and lock down these boards, make a new ZAM-style forum with fresh boards, and start from scratch. That way we can avoid necro posts for a game that no longer exists. But if they're taken off the ZAM forum system entirely like WoWhead... I'm probably not going to post nearly as often, or not at all. (Horrors, I'll never reach 20K posts at that rate!) It's just too **** convenient to be two clicks away from any other forum on the ZAM board.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 10:10pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#24 Apr 17 2013 at 8:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Catwho wrote:
Yeah, the WoWhead forums are terribad. Please don't go that route. We all like the ZAM forum system. I mean, ****, we're here despite our resident trolls, right? I find the format comfortable to read, comfortable to update, and the karma system really does work (most of the time.)

If you want a clean slate, fine - do what all the FFXI closed server boards did and lock down these boards, make a new ZAM-style forum with fresh boards, and start from scratch. That way we can avoid necro posts for a game that no longer exists. But if they're taken off the ZAM forum system entirely like WoWhead... I'm probably not going to post nearly as often, or not at all. (Horrors, I'll never reach 20K posts at that rate!) It's just too **** convenient to be two clicks away from any other forum on the ZAM board.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 10:10pm by Catwho


Your words aren't lost on me Catwho Smiley: smile

Plenty of time for changes still, nothing at all is set in stone yet.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#25 Apr 18 2013 at 12:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Since the downgrade -because i don't like you- is there, and also when some people disagree with someones post downgrade and he might end up sub-defaulted (believe there was an occasion you had to grade up an OP because what he was saying wasn't bad or trolling) i suggest something else. Like making it so there is no downgrade and only "like" faction. Again though you need to get some likes to "lvl up".

Just my 2cents on the matter.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#26 Apr 18 2013 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm pretty sure someone is immune to karma for the first few posts. (Ten, or so?) So someone can come in, make a few newbie mistakes, but clean up their act and quickly soar to Guru by being witty and conversational by post 100. It's happened to plenty of people.

Very few people actually bother with the "because I don't like you" for posters - ****, there are posters in the Asylum, in XI, and in other Cross site areas that I dislike intensively but have grudgingly rated up because they've made a good point. Systematically rating someone down, e.g. karma camping, is considered bad forum behavior and when suspected can be reported to a mod.

No, our current crop of trolls deserve every bit of bad karma they've earned. Just because they can't figure out why we're rating them down every post doesn't mean they deserve it any less.

The first time I ever joined an IRC chat channel, I was naive and asked them moderator of the first place I landed, "I heard you could download movies and stuff here?" Within a few minutes of an increasingly hostile conversation, I was kicked out of the channel. I didn't feel like I did anything wrong, but as it turns out the pure chat IRC places resented the download piracy places because they assumed they might eventually get IRC completely banned. (Fortunately for the fansub industry, Bittorent and Pirate Bay turned out to be easier targets. IRC is still where you go to find fansubbed anime you can't get anywhere else.)

No matter what forum ratings system is used, there will be people who just don't "get" the culture that the rest of the forum has built up, and will have trouble fitting in. The karma system at least empowers regular users to deal with bad behavior proactively instead of tattling to a mod any time someone says anything stupid.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#27 Apr 18 2013 at 5:55 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Well my original post was based on looks and content changes and not the UI of the forum itself. Feel free to talk about the UI and karma but I think we all know this will eventually get locked because of it. Or, there are going to be a lot of resets, lol.
#28 Apr 18 2013 at 7:23 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


I'm going to give you a little bit of advice here.

First, your posts aren't clear and non-provacative. They are Troll. What that means, is that your posts pretty much all argue a point, from which you have no base of reference or any inside knowledge, and then you subsequently refuse to accept any opposing viewpoints that are contrary to what you have already decided to believe. That is classic definition of Troll.

What you can do to correct this problem is completely delete your current account. Just get rid of it entirely. Then, start over and try not to be so close-minded and arrogant as if you have a clue what is even going on here.

This isn't a white knight forum. It never has been. Most of us, myself included, have been around since 1.0's massive fail and believe me I'm one of the ones who was most vocal about my disappointment. However, as improvements were made, my opinion changed and now I am no longer "cautiously optimistic"; I'm counting down the days to reactivating my account. The reason for that is because I don't allow blind hatred for systems in other games to cloud my judgment of this game. Your biggest problem is "hating" wow because of its great success. It is successful for a reason, and that reason isn't pretty graphics. It's systems that are accessible, make sense, and that promote fun gameplay. Yoshi-P taking lessons from that isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, it's the beginning of a new one.

As for the topic at hand, WoWhead is a terrific informational resource. A FFXIV equivalent would go a long way to keep the Zam brand relevant. I'd rather keep all my browsing in this one place than try to traverse another wiki, though the XI wiki for a time was excellent.

#29 Apr 18 2013 at 7:24 AM Rating: Good
******
48,723 posts
catwho, who's lower case c was better wrote:
No, our current crop of trolls deserve every bit of bad karma they've earned.
They're an embarrassment to real trolls everywhere. Smiley: frown
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#30 Apr 18 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Torrence wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


I'm going to give you a little bit of advice here.

First, your posts aren't clear and non-provacative. They are Troll. What that means, is that your posts pretty much all argue a point, from which you have no base of reference or any inside knowledge, and then you subsequently refuse to accept any opposing viewpoints that are contrary to what you have already decided to believe. That is classic definition of Troll.

What you can do to correct this problem is completely delete your current account. Just get rid of it entirely. Then, start over and try not to be so close-minded and arrogant as if you have a clue what is even going on here.

This isn't a white knight forum. It never has been. Most of us, myself included, have been around since 1.0's massive fail and believe me I'm one of the ones who was most vocal about my disappointment. However, as improvements were made, my opinion changed and now I am no longer "cautiously optimistic"; I'm counting down the days to reactivating my account. The reason for that is because I don't allow blind hatred for systems in other games to cloud my judgment of this game. Your biggest problem is "hating" wow because of its great success. It is successful for a reason, and that reason isn't pretty graphics. It's systems that are accessible, make sense, and that promote fun gameplay. Yoshi-P taking lessons from that isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, it's the beginning of a new one.

As for the topic at hand, WoWhead is a terrific informational resource. A FFXIV equivalent would go a long way to keep the Zam brand relevant. I'd rather keep all my browsing in this one place than try to traverse another wiki, though the XI wiki for a time was excellent.



Smiley: inlove
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#31 Apr 18 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I like the basic layout of all of this and the way it connects to the other forums so easily. I wouldn't recommend changing that. I would also like a sweet wiki, just like FFXI was. I really like that. Anyway, I don't have a lot of reference points or knowledge about forums. So, with that, I’ll let the "experts" lay out the ideas. I’ll just watch the show and see what I like.

The "Reputation" system looks cool though. But then you might have people spamming "crap" for awards...
#32 Apr 18 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Unfortunately the wiki is only as accurate as the community is willing to make it, I can't keep up with everything. If we went to a *Head site, I expect we would have the data and allow comments like we do today, which I would think would put us above the official site at least a bit (I can't imagine them allowing comments on items, but at this point we have no idea what they're planning).
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#33 Apr 18 2013 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Wint wrote:

Smiley: inlove


I knew it was only a matter of time :p


WFOAssassin wrote:
I would also like a sweet wiki, just like FFXI was. I really like that. Anyway, I don't have a lot of reference points or knowledge about forums.


Wikis can be great, but when they go bad they REALLY go bad. WoWhead is a really great tool and just about every time I do a google search for info on an item, I end up at there, mostly for the comments sections. There is almost always an answer for specifically what I wanted to ask in those comments - like where something spawns with very clear instructions on how to get there or strats on how to take something down. It's a really good format for passing information.
#34 Apr 18 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Catwho wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone is immune to karma for the first few posts. (Ten, or so?) So someone can come in, make a few newbie mistakes, but clean up their act and quickly soar to Guru by being witty and conversational by post 100. It's happened to plenty of people.

Very few people actually bother with the "because I don't like you" for posters - ****, there are posters in the Asylum, in XI, and in other Cross site areas that I dislike intensively but have grudgingly rated up because they've made a good point. Systematically rating someone down, e.g. karma camping, is considered bad forum behavior and when suspected can be reported to a mod.

No, our current crop of trolls deserve every bit of bad karma they've earned. Just because they can't figure out why we're rating them down every post doesn't mean they deserve it any less.

The first time I ever joined an IRC chat channel, I was naive and asked them moderator of the first place I landed, "I heard you could download movies and stuff here?" Within a few minutes of an increasingly hostile conversation, I was kicked out of the channel. I didn't feel like I did anything wrong, but as it turns out the pure chat IRC places resented the download piracy places because they assumed they might eventually get IRC completely banned. (Fortunately for the fansub industry, Bittorent and Pirate Bay turned out to be easier targets. IRC is still where you go to find fansubbed anime you can't get anywhere else.)

No matter what forum ratings system is used, there will be people who just don't "get" the culture that the rest of the forum has built up, and will have trouble fitting in. The karma system at least empowers regular users to deal with bad behavior proactively instead of tattling to a mod any time someone says anything stupid.


You know i would agree but i've seen personally when someone downgraded me just because he didn't agree with what i said. Don't who of course but since my post had no aggressive comments or w/e its only natural to believe he just didn't like the content.

As for IRC yea anime/manga...long time admin for a group like that, now retired. hehe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#35 Apr 18 2013 at 10:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Some people do that, and I try to keep an eye on things so it's not excessive.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Apr 18 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
Wint wrote:
My vote would be Mog-head actually Smiley: tongue


plz not Mog-head.. The images... my brain is forever unclean..
#37 Apr 18 2013 at 10:33 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,448 posts
silverhope wrote:
Wint wrote:
My vote would be Mog-head actually Smiley: tongue


plz not Mog-head.. The images... my brain is forever unclean..


CLICK THE POMPOM TO LOGIN
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#38 Apr 18 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Wint wrote:
My vote would be Mog-head actually Smiley: tongue


plz not Mog-head.. The images... my brain is forever unclean..


Caress and tease the pom pom gently to log in


Fixed.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#39 Apr 18 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Oh a lot of people will down vote just because they do not agree, that is no secret Smiley: lol I mean i remember when i was decent and i said "In order for XIV to survive it will need to move more towards wow than XI.....Got sent to default" Yet that is exactly what they did Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Apr 18 2013 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Torrence wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


I'm going to give you a little bit of advice here.

First, your posts aren't clear and non-provacative. They are Troll. What that means, is that your posts pretty much all argue a point, from which you have no base of reference or any inside knowledge, and then you subsequently refuse to accept any opposing viewpoints that are contrary to what you have already decided to believe. That is classic definition of Troll.

What you can do to correct this problem is completely delete your current account. Just get rid of it entirely. Then, start over and try not to be so close-minded and arrogant as if you have a clue what is even going on here.

This isn't a white knight forum. It never has been. Most of us, myself included, have been around since 1.0's massive fail and believe me I'm one of the ones who was most vocal about my disappointment. However, as improvements were made, my opinion changed and now I am no longer "cautiously optimistic"; I'm counting down the days to reactivating my account. The reason for that is because I don't allow blind hatred for systems in other games to cloud my judgment of this game. Your biggest problem is "hating" wow because of its great success. It is successful for a reason, and that reason isn't pretty graphics. It's systems that are accessible, make sense, and that promote fun gameplay. Yoshi-P taking lessons from that isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, it's the beginning of a new one.

As for the topic at hand, WoWhead is a terrific informational resource. A FFXIV equivalent would go a long way to keep the Zam brand relevant. I'd rather keep all my browsing in this one place than try to traverse another wiki, though the XI wiki for a time was excellent.




Personally I take no issue with Killua's posts (or at least they haven't struck me in such a way that I'd notice). He does seem to get rated down at times just for being a voice of dissent, even when he's making fair points in a respectful and articulate way. I've even bothered to rate some of his posts back up, and I generally could give half a sh*t about rating anyone.

Does he gripe excessively? Yes. My solution to that is to skip any tl;dr gripes. Save the rate-downs for people who are being petulant twats.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 10:19am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#41 Apr 18 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


I'm going to give you a little bit of advice here.

First, your posts aren't clear and non-provacative. They are Troll. What that means, is that your posts pretty much all argue a point, from which you have no base of reference or any inside knowledge, and then you subsequently refuse to accept any opposing viewpoints that are contrary to what you have already decided to believe. That is classic definition of Troll.

What you can do to correct this problem is completely delete your current account. Just get rid of it entirely. Then, start over and try not to be so close-minded and arrogant as if you have a clue what is even going on here.

This isn't a white knight forum. It never has been. Most of us, myself included, have been around since 1.0's massive fail and believe me I'm one of the ones who was most vocal about my disappointment. However, as improvements were made, my opinion changed and now I am no longer "cautiously optimistic"; I'm counting down the days to reactivating my account. The reason for that is because I don't allow blind hatred for systems in other games to cloud my judgment of this game. Your biggest problem is "hating" wow because of its great success. It is successful for a reason, and that reason isn't pretty graphics. It's systems that are accessible, make sense, and that promote fun gameplay. Yoshi-P taking lessons from that isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, it's the beginning of a new one.

As for the topic at hand, WoWhead is a terrific informational resource. A FFXIV equivalent would go a long way to keep the Zam brand relevant. I'd rather keep all my browsing in this one place than try to traverse another wiki, though the XI wiki for a time was excellent.




Personally I take no issue with Killua's posts (or at least they haven't struck me in such a way that I'd notice). He does seem to get rated down at times just for being a voice of dissent, even when he's making fair points in a respectful and articulate way. I've even bothered to rate some of his posts back up, and I generally could give half a sh*t about rating anyone.

Does he gripe excessively? Yes. My solution to that is to skip any tl;dr gripes. Save the rate-downs for people who are being petulant twats.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 10:19am by Kachi


Are we reading the same forum? Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Apr 18 2013 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Wint wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Personally I take no issue with Killua's posts (or at least they haven't struck me in such a way that I'd notice). He does seem to get rated down at times just for being a voice of dissent, even when he's making fair points in a respectful and articulate way. I've even bothered to rate some of his posts back up, and I generally could give half a sh*t about rating anyone.

Does he gripe excessively? Yes. My solution to that is to skip any tl;dr gripes. Save the rate-downs for people who are being petulant twats.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 10:19am by Kachi


Are we reading the same forum? Smiley: smile


I tend to agree, it seems like a fari amount of his posts come off as arrogant and "know-it-all". Even so, I still don't rate him down, because he's not being downright rude or flaming people. If he could get rid of the smugness, and say stuff like "I feel like FFXIV is similar to WoW, and not like FFXI" instead of "FFXIV is nothing like FFXI and is just another WoW clone", I think people would give him a lot more respect and less rate-downs. Saying your opinion or assumptions like they are facts is a quick way to get under people's skins. I should know, I've done my fair share of it in the past on these boards, and received my fair share of rate downs for it. Smiley: nod
#43 Apr 18 2013 at 12:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Kachi wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
So, there's no chance of that changing?

It seems to me like people down vote posts that they don't agree with. I give my points of view in a clear, non-provocative manner. The ZAM forums seem to have a sort of caste system where like-minded people are at the top and anyone with a dissenting voice becomes a pariah.

If you are making a whole new FFXIVhead(?) forum, you should probably look into a more modern karma system that's fair to everybody.

In response to your reasoning, I don't think anyone would be able to use voting privileges to 'retaliate' because they wouldn't know who voted them down.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 9:07pm by Killua125


I'm going to give you a little bit of advice here.

First, your posts aren't clear and non-provacative. They are Troll. What that means, is that your posts pretty much all argue a point, from which you have no base of reference or any inside knowledge, and then you subsequently refuse to accept any opposing viewpoints that are contrary to what you have already decided to believe. That is classic definition of Troll.

What you can do to correct this problem is completely delete your current account. Just get rid of it entirely. Then, start over and try not to be so close-minded and arrogant as if you have a clue what is even going on here.

This isn't a white knight forum. It never has been. Most of us, myself included, have been around since 1.0's massive fail and believe me I'm one of the ones who was most vocal about my disappointment. However, as improvements were made, my opinion changed and now I am no longer "cautiously optimistic"; I'm counting down the days to reactivating my account. The reason for that is because I don't allow blind hatred for systems in other games to cloud my judgment of this game. Your biggest problem is "hating" wow because of its great success. It is successful for a reason, and that reason isn't pretty graphics. It's systems that are accessible, make sense, and that promote fun gameplay. Yoshi-P taking lessons from that isn't the end of the world. On the contrary, it's the beginning of a new one.

As for the topic at hand, WoWhead is a terrific informational resource. A FFXIV equivalent would go a long way to keep the Zam brand relevant. I'd rather keep all my browsing in this one place than try to traverse another wiki, though the XI wiki for a time was excellent.




Personally I take no issue with Killua's posts (or at least they haven't struck me in such a way that I'd notice). He does seem to get rated down at times just for being a voice of dissent, even when he's making fair points in a respectful and articulate way. I've even bothered to rate some of his posts back up, and I generally could give half a sh*t about rating anyone.

Does he gripe excessively? Yes. My solution to that is to skip any tl;dr gripes. Save the rate-downs for people who are being petulant twats.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 10:19am by Kachi

As you shouldn't care much about rating. Base your value on other peoples opinion of you and issues with beliefs and self esteem pop up. Feedback is good if you think it applies to better you for you.
#44 Apr 18 2013 at 12:50 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
It just becomes exhausting to have to read the umpteenth post about the "wowification" of FFXIV. We can't have a discussion about what they are doing without WoW coming up and someone like Killua running off at the mouth about things they don't know about or understand.

Probably 25% of my posting history in this forum has been explaining a WoW system after someone wrote a generic post denouncing it without ever even having played the game (in this case, EITHER game). The misinformation runs rampant and it just gets tiresome. It's just ******* tiresome. I wish the admins would implement a rule similar to the Windower rule in the XI forums. Then maybe we could have a discussion about XIV without having to compare every pixel to something WoW did.
#45 Apr 18 2013 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Once the game is actually launched my hope is that we can discuss thing that are..you know..actually in the game. For now we're reduced to speculation. It's why I'm not so strict with off topic threads right now. Once the NDA lifts I'll be a little more vigilant.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#46 Apr 18 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Wint wrote:
Once the game is actually launched my hope is that we can discuss thing that are..you know..actually in the game. For now we're reduced to speculation. It's why I'm not so strict with off topic threads right now. Once the NDA lifts I'll be a little more vigilant.


You could make a game out of it. Call it "Whack-A-Troll". Smiley: lol

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 11:58am by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#47 Apr 18 2013 at 1:06 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Torrence wrote:
It just becomes exhausting to have to read the umpteenth post about the "wowification" of FFXIV. We can't have a discussion about what they are doing without WoW coming up and someone like Killua running off at the mouth about things they don't know about or understand.

Probably 25% of my posting history in this forum has been explaining a WoW system after someone wrote a generic post denouncing it without ever even having played the game (in this case, EITHER game). The misinformation runs rampant and it just gets tiresome. It's just @#%^ing tiresome. I wish the admins would implement a rule similar to the Windower rule in the XI forums. Then maybe we could have a discussion about XIV without having to compare every pixel to something WoW did.


I don't understand. Yoshi-P has publicly named World of Warcraft as his main inspiration, and you just want people to ignore the similarities?

If anything, I would probably expect more people to make the comparison once Open Beta starts and the NDA lifts... Smiley: bah

I really don't know why it would bother you.


Edited, Apr 18th 2013 3:07pm by Killua125
#48 Apr 18 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Torrence wrote:
It just becomes exhausting to have to read the umpteenth post about the "wowification" of FFXIV. We can't have a discussion about what they are doing without WoW coming up and someone like Killua running off at the mouth about things they don't know about or understand.

Probably 25% of my posting history in this forum has been explaining a WoW system after someone wrote a generic post denouncing it without ever even having played the game (in this case, EITHER game). The misinformation runs rampant and it just gets tiresome. It's just @#%^ing tiresome. I wish the admins would implement a rule similar to the Windower rule in the XI forums. Then maybe we could have a discussion about XIV without having to compare every pixel to something WoW did.


I don't understand. Yoshi-P has publicly named World of Warcraft as his main inspiration, and you just want people to ignore the similarities?

If anything, I would probably expect more people to make the comparison once Open Beta starts and the NDA lifts... Smiley: bah


No one's telling you to ignore anything. But that's all it is, similarities. It doesn't mean the game is going to be a WoW clone like you so adamantly assume. What we're trying to tell you is to stop acting like whatever you say is a fact when it's not. You have no idea anymore than anyone else, and it gets old hearing you whine about the same old stuff post in and post out when you know nothing of it.

Killua125 wrote:
I really don't know why it would bother you.


Lmao, really? That's gotta take the cake for one of the most trollish statements I've ever seen, considering it's coming from someone who adamantly refuses to understand other people's points of view.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#49 Apr 18 2013 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
BartelX wrote:
Wint wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Personally I take no issue with Killua's posts (or at least they haven't struck me in such a way that I'd notice). He does seem to get rated down at times just for being a voice of dissent, even when he's making fair points in a respectful and articulate way. I've even bothered to rate some of his posts back up, and I generally could give half a sh*t about rating anyone.

Does he gripe excessively? Yes. My solution to that is to skip any tl;dr gripes. Save the rate-downs for people who are being petulant twats.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 10:19am by Kachi


Are we reading the same forum? Smiley: smile


I tend to agree, it seems like a fari amount of his posts come off as arrogant and "know-it-all". Even so, I still don't rate him down, because he's not being downright rude or flaming people. If he could get rid of the smugness, and say stuff like "I feel like FFXIV is similar to WoW, and not like FFXI" instead of "FFXIV is nothing like FFXI and is just another WoW clone", I think people would give him a lot more respect and less rate-downs. Saying your opinion or assumptions like they are facts is a quick way to get under people's skins. I should know, I've done my fair share of it in the past on these boards, and received my fair share of rate downs for it. Smiley: nod


Perhaps it's just me, but I don't particularly mind if someone seems convinced of their opinion so long as they aren't overtly disrespectful of other people. If someone tries to tell me that pizza is the best food in the world and cookies suck donkey ****** I'm perfectly capable of both recognizing that this is just their opinion and that they probably KNOW it is their opinion. I certainly don't go around qualifying all of my opinions on the basis that someone might think otherwise. And really, why should anyone give a ****? If he's not being rude about it, then let him think he's the king of the internet.

All I'm seeing is a bunch of whining about a poster who is opinionated but inoffensive and easily ignored. The internet as usual, I suppose.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#50 Apr 18 2013 at 3:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Also, as Wint said, there's ******* NOTHING to talk about. Let's all argue about nerd stuff. That's what the internet is for. As long as people are respectful about it, it's all in good fun.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#51 Apr 18 2013 at 6:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Psssh. Let's talk about BEER.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (72)