Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Gilgamesh speculating time!!Follow

#1 Apr 17 2013 at 8:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
122 posts
Yoshi's already said he's got plans for him.

The idea I came up with was for gilly to be this games Maat. You'd have to fight him for each level cap increase [when they're implemented] and each time he'd come back stronger, and with a new bag of tricks [enkidu, eight arms, various job abilities from different jobs, ect], thinking he'd bested you. There'd be a long term rivalry built up this way that would fit his character, and potentially be very funny.

I'd still want there to be a full party fight w/ him @ full strength, but I think this would be really cool.

I wonder how close this is to what they're actually gonna do with him. What're all of your thoughts/ideas on this? also, can anyone find quotes/links to where yoshi mentions him?

edit: if this game has FFXI luck, you'd have a massive group spend the whole night fighting him, and all he'd drop is an Excalipoor.

Edited, Apr 17th 2013 10:45pm by JonnyWolf
____________________________
Mikey- server Ramuh
I haven't payed taxes in four years! I'm not gettin busted by a ssamwich! ><
#2 Apr 17 2013 at 10:20 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
I don't see this game having "Maat" style fights; if only because they're trying to standardize the game more. It just boils down to the fact that arbitrarily blocking milestones in such a way is a means to frustrate players.

What I would like to see for Gilgamesh, is his own Lore. To further explain, Gilgamesh shouldn't be a primal, nor should he be thrown in as a vanilla raid boss. As a character, I'd like for him to be the focus of his own raid or something. The worst thing they can do is shoehorn more references into the game for no reason.

____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#3 Apr 17 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Step 1: There needs to be a very large Eorzean bridge.

Step 2: There needs to be an iconic theme that accompanies said bridge.

____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#4 Apr 18 2013 at 6:31 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
TurboTom wrote:
I don't see this game having "Maat" style fights; if only because they're trying to standardize the game more. It just boils down to the fact that arbitrarily blocking milestones in such a way is a means to frustrate players.



So basically youre saying there wont be Maat style fights because those require too much skill... and this game is catering to casuals and not skilled players so everything will be extremely easy as to not upset the ppl who suck and cant handle a challenge?
#5 Apr 18 2013 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
**
785 posts

DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
TurboTom wrote:
I don't see this game having "Maat" style fights; if only because they're trying to standardize the game more. It just boils down to the fact that arbitrarily blocking milestones in such a way is a means to frustrate players.



So basically youre saying there wont be Maat style fights because those require too much skill... and this game is catering to casuals and not skilled players so everything will be extremely easy as to not upset the ppl who suck and cant handle a challenge?


So basically you're stuffing words in his mouth, assuming that just because level cap fights are a thing of the past in MMOs, that means a whole game is easy mode?

Got it.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 8:36am by NaomiCharitey
____________________________
75Blm / 75SMN / 75BRD / 75THF
#6 Apr 18 2013 at 6:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with level cap fights in an MMO, especially towards endgame. When you have frustrating prerequisites to advance (like the skull requirement for G1), THEN you can run into problems. But most players who have already passed the 70% mark to endgame aren't going to be put off by the occasional fight, especially if that fight is fun. In fact, those are often the parts that players enjoy the most and look back on fondly... the meaningful fights.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 5:46am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#7 Apr 18 2013 at 6:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with level cap fights in an MMO, especially towards endgame. When you have frustrating prerequisites to advance (like the skull requirement for G1), THEN you can run into problems. But most players who have already passed the 70% mark to endgame aren't going to be put off by the occasional fight, especially if that fight is fun. In fact, those are often the parts that players enjoy the most and look back on fondly... the meaningful fights.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 5:46am by Kachi


The fight was fun, getting testimonies was not.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Apr 18 2013 at 6:52 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#9 Apr 18 2013 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Kachi wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with level cap fights in an MMO, especially towards endgame. When you have frustrating prerequisites to advance (like the skull requirement for G1), THEN you can run into problems. But most players who have already passed the 70% mark to endgame aren't going to be put off by the occasional fight, especially if that fight is fun. In fact, those are often the parts that players enjoy the most and look back on fondly... the meaningful fights.

Edited, Apr 18th 2013 5:46am by Kachi


Absolutely, I still remember my first Maat fight. How I prepped myself, brought sleep potions, Icarus Wing, etc, etc, ready to hand Maat his ****... then when the battle started, I completely forgot all of the extras I bought (even had forgotten to actually use my food), and ended up having to flee to buy myself the extra time to take him down. I remember it being an epic fight, and even though I thought I was prepared, it still came down to the wire. Good times. I'd love to see something like that incorporated into ARR.
#10 Apr 18 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.

This is about 1/2 the point I was trying to make. There was no "correct" way to play FFXI; our mantra was ********** is situational". So, the "know how to play your job" argument always falls flat, because it would vary greatly depending on what you were doing.

Maat was usually about luck, not skill; IE how many times he decided to asuran fists you on any particular attempt.

I'm just against arbitrary road-blocks, not difficult fights. As far as I'm concerned, anything that forces you away from your current path before you can progress is a step in the wrong direction.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#11 Apr 18 2013 at 8:33 AM Rating: Default
****
4,928 posts
TurboTom wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.

This is about 1/2 the point I was trying to make. There was no "correct" way to play FFXI; our mantra was "sh*t is situational". So, the "know how to play your job" argument always falls flat, because it would vary greatly depending on what you were doing.

Maat was usually about luck, not skill; IE how many times he decided to asuran fists you on any particular attempt.

I'm just against arbitrary road-blocks, not difficult fights. As far as I'm concerned, anything that forces you away from your current path before you can progress is a step in the wrong direction.



yup tahst right cause all jobs definitely dont have a ay to avoid asuran fists or heal themselves...
#12 Apr 18 2013 at 8:35 AM Rating: Decent
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
TurboTom wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.

This is about 1/2 the point I was trying to make. There was no "correct" way to play FFXI; our mantra was "sh*t is situational". So, the "know how to play your job" argument always falls flat, because it would vary greatly depending on what you were doing.

Maat was usually about luck, not skill; IE how many times he decided to asuran fists you on any particular attempt.

I'm just against arbitrary road-blocks, not difficult fights. As far as I'm concerned, anything that forces you away from your current path before you can progress is a step in the wrong direction.



yup tahst right cause all jobs definitely dont have a ay to avoid asuran fists or heal themselves...


Duo, did someone drop a bar of soap in your coffee this morning?
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#13 Apr 18 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
TurboTom wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.

This is about 1/2 the point I was trying to make. There was no "correct" way to play FFXI; our mantra was "sh*t is situational". So, the "know how to play your job" argument always falls flat, because it would vary greatly depending on what you were doing.

Maat was usually about luck, not skill; IE how many times he decided to asuran fists you on any particular attempt.

I'm just against arbitrary road-blocks, not difficult fights. As far as I'm concerned, anything that forces you away from your current path before you can progress is a step in the wrong direction.



yup tahst right cause all jobs definitely dont have a ay to avoid asuran fists or heal themselves...


Duo, did someone drop a bar of soap in your coffee this morning?



nope the point I was making is a skilled player can get out of any situation... they all have the tools necessary to do so, they just need the skills and brains to know how and when to use them.. especially when it comes to a fight thats MEANT to be soloed
#14 Apr 18 2013 at 9:38 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I "beat" Maat as a 66 WHM on the first try, my planned dry run. That was before a WHM could just Repose him for 5 minutes straight and "win." I had about 30 HP and 10 MP left. He stayed his fist just before he was about to kill me, and let me pass. It was... almost disappointing, in an odd way. Winning during your planned practice run can be a bit deflating.

Even at 99, though, when I was going for Maat's cap, it took me two times to beat him on NIN and 3 times to beat him on SMN.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#15 Apr 18 2013 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
Catwho wrote:
I "beat" Maat as a 66 WHM on the first try, my planned dry run. That was before a WHM could just Repose him for 5 minutes straight and "win." I had about 30 HP and 10 MP left. He stayed his fist just before he was about to kill me, and let me pass. It was... almost disappointing, in an odd way. Winning during your planned practice run can be a bit deflating.

Even at 99, though, when I was going for Maat's cap, it took me two times to beat him on NIN and 3 times to beat him on SMN.



thats odd maat was a joke at level 75 with fully capped merits on all jobs... I breezed through him on every job that way.. I can only imagine how stupidly easy it must be at 99
#16 Apr 18 2013 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
TurboTom wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
To me I thought the Maat cap was a test to prove you knew how to play the game. It was proof that your necessary skills were capped and you shouldn't get to max level unless you deserved it.

Granted, it was a little unfair for certain jobs, especially ones like Red Mage.

This is about 1/2 the point I was trying to make. There was no "correct" way to play FFXI; our mantra was "sh*t is situational". So, the "know how to play your job" argument always falls flat, because it would vary greatly depending on what you were doing.

Maat was usually about luck, not skill; IE how many times he decided to asuran fists you on any particular attempt.

I'm just against arbitrary road-blocks, not difficult fights. As far as I'm concerned, anything that forces you away from your current path before you can progress is a step in the wrong direction.



yup tahst right cause all jobs definitely dont have a ay to avoid asuran fists or heal themselves...


Duo, did someone drop a bar of soap in your coffee this morning?



nope the point I was making is a skilled player can get out of any situation... they all have the tools necessary to do so, they just need the skills and brains to know how and when to use them.. especially when it comes to a fight thats MEANT to be soloed


I understand what your point was and I agree with it to an extent, you just seemed particularly grumpy this morning. I'm also sad that no one picked up on my Super Troopers reference Smiley: frown
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#17 Apr 18 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Catwho wrote:
I "beat" Maat as a 66 WHM on the first try, my planned dry run. That was before a WHM could just Repose him for 5 minutes straight and "win." I had about 30 HP and 10 MP left. He stayed his fist just before he was about to kill me, and let me pass. It was... almost disappointing, in an odd way. Winning during your planned practice run can be a bit deflating.

Even at 99, though, when I was going for Maat's cap, it took me two times to beat him on NIN and 3 times to beat him on SMN.



thats odd maat was a joke at level 75 with fully capped merits on all jobs... I breezed through him on every job that way.. I can only imagine how stupidly easy it must be at 99

I one shotted him on my second character 99 blm. Samarui maat was really easy too even at 75. But anything geared towards a level will be easier when they allow over leveling.

But in the case of XI. It served it's purpose before the 75 cap raised after such a long time being 75. Eventually the cap had to be raised. They just should have strengthened lots of things along with that cap raise.
#18 Apr 18 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
The 95-99 fight isn't a joke at least.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#19 Apr 18 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
Wint wrote:
The 95-99 fight isn't a joke at least.


While I mostly agree, it was a fight that was easier depending on what your party formation was.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#20 Apr 18 2013 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
The solution to 95-99 when it first came out for us was BST BST BST BST SMN + leech. Or MNK MNK MNK SMN WHM + leech. We got through a lot of leeches with those two setups.

As for why Maat NIN took me two tries? Katana skill. My evasion was capped, but I had the katana accuracy of a mashed potato. After my humiliating defeat, I spent some quality time in Abyssea squishing brown birds, trying to get my katana skill capped. SMN's three tries was more about getting the timing right in between pets - Maat and his summon would kill the pet before it killed Maat, so I had to resummon once mid battle and survive being the sole target of hate for 10 seconds in between Assaults.

Oh, I forgot to mention I did them without using 2 hours, since I was doing multiple fights back to back when I was working toward the cap. (NIN's 2 hour is kind of useless for the fight anyway.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#21 Apr 18 2013 at 10:28 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
Wint wrote:
The 95-99 fight isn't a joke at least.



heh i havent played since the cap was raised from 75.. Im still wondering what teh other LBs are like
#22 Apr 19 2013 at 12:02 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
TurboTom wrote:
I don't see this game having "Maat" style fights; if only because they're trying to standardize the game more. It just boils down to the fact that arbitrarily blocking milestones in such a way is a means to frustrate players.



So basically youre saying there wont be Maat style fights because those require too much skill... and this game is catering to casuals and not skilled players so everything will be extremely easy as to not upset the ppl who suck and cant handle a challenge?


Um... Maat was far easier than any heroic raid in the history of WoW. Easier than a raid in rift too. In general, he wasn't that hard...

What he's saying is that genkais weren't challenging, they were time consuming.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#23 Apr 19 2013 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,569 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Step 1: There needs to be a very large Eorzean bridge.

Step 2: There needs to be an iconic theme that accompanies said bridge.
Step 3: Gilgamesh has to attempt making an epic entrance on said bridge and fail horribly.
____________________________
Products of boredom: 1 2 3 4 5
Besieged
Hopes for FFXIV: Fencer | Red Mage
#24 Apr 19 2013 at 2:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
636 posts
I have a feeling that Gilgamesh is just gonna be a very powerful raid boss...what they do with it though, I can't say. I do agree with the person above me though, and the one he/she quoted
#25 Apr 19 2013 at 5:43 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
The 95-99 fight isn't a joke at least.



heh i havent played since the cap was raised from 75.. Im still wondering what teh other LBs are like


80-95 are just turning in kindred crests and merits. 95 was a fairly difficult 6 man BC against an overpowered Tarutaru. It was so hard that SE eventually added in an item to make him run around and panic... and then made them item cast bind on him too so if you had it, you could beat him senseless.

I have an Alex SMN so I've done that fight around a hundred times now. Smiley: lol
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (71)