Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Blog Post: On a BoatFollow

#1 Apr 23 2013 at 4:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Darqflame's Peon
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
****
5,912 posts
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/285
Quote:

On a Boat
April 23, 2013

Greetings everyone!
Ferenhalwes back from the dead to bring you today’s scoop.

The problem is, these past few Producer Letter Lives have been so chock-full of crunchy, chocolaty, peanut-buttery goodness, I’m stuck with nothing but table scraps.

Luckily, today’s scraps are fit for not just any dog—but a scurvy dog! ARRRRRR!

Ahem.
I was traipsing about the new and improved Limsa Lominsa this morning when I noticed something. Sure, the city-state had a similar feel to its 1.0 counterpart, but somehow it wasn't quite the same as before. The city-state was more...alive. And then that’s when it hit me—many of the NPCs were DOING something! (And by ‘doing something’ I don’t mean ‘staring off glassy-eyed into the distance until you come along and he tells you in 1000 words or less about how great La Noscean lettuce is, and what he wouldn't give to have a kind adventurer bring him 5 heads.’)

Yellowjackets patrolling the streets...
Fishers repairing their nets...
Sea Wolves doing push-ups with Miqo’te sitting on their backs...wait, wha?
Screenshot

Uh...Okay. I’m sure there’s a perfectly good story to go along with this...

But that’s not to say there is a lack of everyday situations like...
Serving wenches waiting on tables...
Peddlers gesturing to potential customers...
Unconscious prisoners hanging suspended over the sea while carefree pirates point and laugh at the poor lads' misfortune...wait, wha?
Screenshot

Ah, I love this town.

Till sea swallows all!

Fernehalwes
#2 Apr 23 2013 at 4:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
I must admit, he always make me laugh one way or another! ^_^
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#3 Apr 23 2013 at 7:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
The "lens flare" effect from the sun in the last picture is cool, especially since there's no actual lens involved.
#4 Apr 23 2013 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Quote:
The city-state was more...alive.


Well, the ARR team listened to one of my chief complaints about 1.0 - a beautiful but stale and lifeless MMO world is not one I want to hang around in.

That was one of XI's strengths too. They had custom animations for NPCs in the guilds. So you go to the fishing guild, and there's a mithra tossing fish food into the ocean. You go into the cooking guild, and there's a chef tossing a fry pan. You go into the goldsmith's guild, and there's a jeweler grinding down a cabechon and staring at it with a loop. Even non-guild NPCs that are just hanging around are doing appropriate actions. Guards are standing still and chilling. Merchants are hanging around behind booths. Delivery folks are standing near crates and packages.

World design isn't just about how pretty you make the graphics. It's also about the thought behind the graphics.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#5 Apr 23 2013 at 12:03 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Catwho wrote:
Quote:
The city-state was more...alive.


Well, the ARR team listened to one of my chief complaints about 1.0 - a beautiful but stale and lifeless MMO world is not one I want to hang around in.

That was one of XI's strengths too. They had custom animations for NPCs in the guilds. So you go to the fishing guild, and there's a mithra tossing fish food into the ocean. You go into the cooking guild, and there's a chef tossing a fry pan. You go into the goldsmith's guild, and there's a jeweler grinding down a cabechon and staring at it with a loop. Even non-guild NPCs that are just hanging around are doing appropriate actions. Guards are standing still and chilling. Merchants are hanging around behind booths. Delivery folks are standing near crates and packages.

World design isn't just about how pretty you make the graphics. It's also about the thought behind the graphics.


Amen brother. And I'm glad to see that that they took the fan advice and made things more alive.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#6 Apr 23 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Pssst. It's sister...
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Apr 23 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wint wrote:
Pssst. It's sister...


Whoops, dang male bias I have.

Edit: GENDER bias.



Reverse quoting from below: I think generally whatever gender you are you assume that everyone is the same. When I hear "doctor" I see a man. When a woman hears the same she likely thinks of a woman. Human nature? Probably

Edited, Apr 23rd 2013 3:11pm by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#8 Apr 23 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Wint wrote:
Pssst. It's sister...


Whoops, dang male bias I have.

Edit: GENDER bias.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2013 2:41pm by electromagnet83


Hahaha! Yeah I think most of us assume gamer/posters are guys. MLP once separated the boys from the girls, but these days a 200 pound all muscle straight man may have Barbie for an avatar. Yay for free expression!
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#9 Apr 23 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
If I went around with I'M A WOMAN in flashing tags in my sig, I'd still get referred to using a male gendered pronoun until folks were corrected. Smiley: lol That's just the default around these parts...

Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#10 Apr 23 2013 at 2:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
Catwho wrote:
If I went around with I'M A WOMAN in flashing tags in my sig, I'd still get referred to using a male gendered pronoun until folks were corrected. Smiley: lol That's just the default around these parts...

Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.


Because the Miq'Ote are like cats and like to pounce. meow
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#11 Apr 24 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Very nice indeed. They'll probably never be able to make NPCs as lively as in "The Witcher", but:
every bit of movement
is an improvement. ^^
#12 Apr 24 2013 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
Catwho wrote:
If I went around with I'M A WOMAN in flashing tags in my sig, I'd still get referred to using a male gendered pronoun until folks were corrected. Smiley: lol That's just the default around these parts...

Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.

That's a playable character riding her roegadyn mount?
Hyur just do it, elezen do it elegantly, lala do it quick, roegadyn do it with power, and miqo'te do it from above?
#13 Apr 24 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,494 posts
Catwho wrote:
Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.
More weight during push-ups helps build up shoulders, upper arms, and backs.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Apr 24 2013 at 9:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.
More weight during push-ups helps build up shoulders, upper arms, and backs.


You and your logic. Smiley: lol

Maybe she's his personal trainer?
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#15 Apr 24 2013 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Catwho wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Back on topic, I do wonder why the Roegadyn is doing push ups with a Mi'quote perched on his back.
More weight during push-ups helps build up shoulders, upper arms, and backs.


You and your logic. Smiley: lol

Maybe she's his personal trainer?


I figured she thought it was a good place to take a nap. You know how cats are; they always have to nap where the action is.
#16 Apr 24 2013 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
My cat's favorite place is to sleep across my neck as I'm sitting on the couch, so your reasoning makes sense to me.
#17 Apr 25 2013 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
BartelX wrote:
My cat's favorite place is to sleep across my neck as I'm sitting on the couch, so your reasoning makes sense to me.


When I had a cat, he did the same thing. I'd wake up in the middle of the night burning up because he was just chilling across my throat.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#18 Apr 25 2013 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
Mine used to try and sit on my face so I'd welcome (is welcome the right word - I suppose I'd just have to accept it if I don't have a choice) the cat on my back instead.
#19 Apr 25 2013 at 11:27 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
66 posts
Mine would lay on my chest pointing my nose I'd usually wake to the smell of cat food and politely ask him to move so he wouldn't claw me to death!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 102 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (101)