Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Media Embargo Lifted!Follow

#102 Apr 25 2013 at 8:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
You don't automatically get 1000 TP when the fight is over, when did I say that? I said you regenerate TP.
It should be asked whether that is going to be the regular regeneration rate, or was it substantially increased for testing purposes?


That isn't clear, although I suspect it is the regular rate. I was also going to see if there is a difference in the regeneration rate when in combat versus without, because it seems like once the battle ends you gain back your lost points fairly quickly compared to when in battle, which would make sense.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#103 Apr 25 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think Phase II also hit at a bad time of year for many people. It's wrapping up the school year in the US, both for colleges on the semester system and high schools. Personally, I've been slammed the last month and video game fun had to take the back seat (no XI for me until my last class is over tonight, let alone "any perks that being Legacy entitled me to" *cough*)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#104 Apr 25 2013 at 10:59 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,112 posts
Thanks for the article Wint, it is refreshing to see the changes and opinions so far. While I am a happy little legacy member... life hasn't been nice enough to allow for any first-hand knowledge of my own :(

I am curious as to how long a normal FATE lasts for, and how many people you usually see participating? I know that with the saturation in the BETA, that it is an unlikely scenario, but what would happen if you got sucked into a level appropriate FATE and you were the only one nearby. Are most of these hard enough that being the only participant would mean disaster?
____________________________
95THF, 95DRG, 90BRD, 94BLM, 95BLU, 90COR - Retired: Nov 2011
Someday soon my friends, this ride will come to and end, and we can't just get in line again.
#105 Apr 25 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Grandlethal wrote:
Thanks for the article Wint, it is refreshing to see the changes and opinions so far. While I am a happy little legacy member... life hasn't been nice enough to allow for any first-hand knowledge of my own :(

I am curious as to how long a normal FATE lasts for, and how many people you usually see participating? I know that with the saturation in the BETA, that it is an unlikely scenario, but what would happen if you got sucked into a level appropriate FATE and you were the only one nearby. Are most of these hard enough that being the only participant would mean disaster?


Everyone brace yourselves for my next statement:

Kachi was right about FATEs (kind of).

Some of the FATEs have been REALLY busy, especially the ones that occur near Santuaries/Towns. Those are very difficult to participate in at times because of the sheer number of people. I know feedback has been given about that.

Some of the more obscure or out of the way FATEs are totally solo-able, because you can target mobs one at a time and if you're not in a party they don't link.

Some FATEs are not solo-able at all, and would be death to try. One that comes to mind is this one where you have to kill a NM Miqo'te. Since he's the only target, you can't really solo him since he's designed to be brought down by a large group.

Where Kachi was wrong is an LS camping a specific FATE. It's just not possible, everyone has an equal shot at participation, and there's no way to block them from participating. Even the super busy ones I still managed to earn a great deal of XP and company notes from them on my CON, even though I could only cast a spell here and there and probably did a fraction of the damage that some of the other jobs with quicker abilities was doing.

Another note about CON and FATEs, the issue came up where curing wasn't getting you FATE credit, and they are going to be fixing that.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#106 Apr 25 2013 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Pretty positive writeup, I have to leave it at that sadly....
#107 Apr 25 2013 at 12:12 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wint wrote:
Grandlethal wrote:
Thanks for the article Wint, it is refreshing to see the changes and opinions so far. While I am a happy little legacy member... life hasn't been nice enough to allow for any first-hand knowledge of my own :(

I am curious as to how long a normal FATE lasts for, and how many people you usually see participating? I know that with the saturation in the BETA, that it is an unlikely scenario, but what would happen if you got sucked into a level appropriate FATE and you were the only one nearby. Are most of these hard enough that being the only participant would mean disaster?


Everyone brace yourselves for my next statement:

Kachi was right about FATEs (kind of).

Some of the FATEs have been REALLY busy, especially the ones that occur near Santuaries/Towns. Those are very difficult to participate in at times because of the sheer number of people. I know feedback has been given about that.

Some of the more obscure or out of the way FATEs are totally solo-able, because you can target mobs one at a time and if you're not in a party they don't link.

Some FATEs are not solo-able at all, and would be death to try. One that comes to mind is this one where you have to kill a NM Miqo'te. Since he's the only target, you can't really solo him since he's designed to be brought down by a large group.

Where Kachi was wrong is an LS camping a specific FATE. It's just not possible, everyone has an equal shot at participation, and there's no way to block them from participating. Even the super busy ones I still managed to earn a great deal of XP and company notes from them on my CON, even though I could only cast a spell here and there and probably did a fraction of the damage that some of the other jobs with quicker abilities was doing.

Another note about CON and FATEs, the issue came up where curing wasn't getting you FATE credit, and they are going to be fixing that.


Arent FATEs also in completely random locales making them impossible to camp anyways?
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#108 Apr 25 2013 at 12:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Wint wrote:
Grandlethal wrote:
Thanks for the article Wint, it is refreshing to see the changes and opinions so far. While I am a happy little legacy member... life hasn't been nice enough to allow for any first-hand knowledge of my own :(

I am curious as to how long a normal FATE lasts for, and how many people you usually see participating? I know that with the saturation in the BETA, that it is an unlikely scenario, but what would happen if you got sucked into a level appropriate FATE and you were the only one nearby. Are most of these hard enough that being the only participant would mean disaster?


Everyone brace yourselves for my next statement:

Kachi was right about FATEs (kind of).

Some of the FATEs have been REALLY busy, especially the ones that occur near Santuaries/Towns. Those are very difficult to participate in at times because of the sheer number of people. I know feedback has been given about that.

Some of the more obscure or out of the way FATEs are totally solo-able, because you can target mobs one at a time and if you're not in a party they don't link.

Some FATEs are not solo-able at all, and would be death to try. One that comes to mind is this one where you have to kill a NM Miqo'te. Since he's the only target, you can't really solo him since he's designed to be brought down by a large group.

Where Kachi was wrong is an LS camping a specific FATE. It's just not possible, everyone has an equal shot at participation, and there's no way to block them from participating. Even the super busy ones I still managed to earn a great deal of XP and company notes from them on my CON, even though I could only cast a spell here and there and probably did a fraction of the damage that some of the other jobs with quicker abilities was doing.

Another note about CON and FATEs, the issue came up where curing wasn't getting you FATE credit, and they are going to be fixing that.


Smiley: eek

I don't actually remember saying anything about LS's camping specific FATEs; I wouldn't have thought that would be a problem in the first place. My only concern was with ghost-towning events and other events getting zerged by the entire zone. These were problems in GW2 even though there were frequently several dynamic events happening in a zone all the time. I have to confess that it didn't require a great deal of foresight on my part.

My comments and concerns more related to balancing the FATEs with regards to these participation fluctuations. If some of them are soloable because the mobs don't link, I guess that's actually a decent start.

To be honest, this isn't something I entirely hold against them, because if I ever thought of a good, simple solution for the problem, I've already forgotten it. There are solutions which aren't particularly elegant (in that they'd require a fairly significant level of development), but it's difficult to account for wild fluctuations in participation--to design all events to be fun and playable for anywhere from 1-100 players.

In the end I'm just not even sure it's a great mechanic. It sounds in theory like it would make the world feel alive, but with respect to the design problems you almost never forget that you're playing an MMO. Allowing players to initiate the events would allow them to better regulate the user experience. They can keep other structures in place, such as if your group fails, the area is affected appropriately--that would still be cool, probably even more so knowing that you and a small group of allies did it rather than the entire zone.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#109 Apr 25 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Wint wrote:
Grandlethal wrote:
Thanks for the article Wint, it is refreshing to see the changes and opinions so far. While I am a happy little legacy member... life hasn't been nice enough to allow for any first-hand knowledge of my own :(

I am curious as to how long a normal FATE lasts for, and how many people you usually see participating? I know that with the saturation in the BETA, that it is an unlikely scenario, but what would happen if you got sucked into a level appropriate FATE and you were the only one nearby. Are most of these hard enough that being the only participant would mean disaster?


Everyone brace yourselves for my next statement:

Kachi was right about FATEs (kind of).

Some of the FATEs have been REALLY busy, especially the ones that occur near Santuaries/Towns. Those are very difficult to participate in at times because of the sheer number of people. I know feedback has been given about that.

Some of the more obscure or out of the way FATEs are totally solo-able, because you can target mobs one at a time and if you're not in a party they don't link.

Some FATEs are not solo-able at all, and would be death to try. One that comes to mind is this one where you have to kill a NM Miqo'te. Since he's the only target, you can't really solo him since he's designed to be brought down by a large group.

Where Kachi was wrong is an LS camping a specific FATE. It's just not possible, everyone has an equal shot at participation, and there's no way to block them from participating. Even the super busy ones I still managed to earn a great deal of XP and company notes from them on my CON, even though I could only cast a spell here and there and probably did a fraction of the damage that some of the other jobs with quicker abilities was doing.

Another note about CON and FATEs, the issue came up where curing wasn't getting you FATE credit, and they are going to be fixing that.


Arent FATEs also in completely random locales making them impossible to camp anyways?


No, they reoccur in the same places, the timing is random.

I may be wrong Kachi, I'm almost positive you were arguing about LS's camping FATEs Smiley: smile
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#110 Apr 25 2013 at 12:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well I can't find the original post, so maybe it's old age catching up to me after all. I could have sworn someone was arguing that LS's would be camping FATEs but I must be wrong.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#111 Apr 25 2013 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Wint wrote:
Well I can't find the original post, so maybe it's old age catching up to me after all. I could have sworn someone was arguing that LS's would be camping FATEs but I must be wrong.


Could have been a certain someone who was banned.
#112 Apr 25 2013 at 12:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm sure I would have just assumed, wrongly or not, that it wouldn't be a problem for the same reasons that it wasn't a problem in GW2. Now that you mention it, I vaguely recall explaining that to someone else.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#113 Apr 25 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Could be, I lack Jophiel's talent for remembering what someone said on some topic 8 months previous.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#114 Apr 25 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
******
48,480 posts
I think that talent is more muscle memory than actual memory.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#115 Apr 25 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I think that talent is more muscle memory than actual memory.


Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#116 Apr 25 2013 at 1:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
My question is about the controller scheme.
Was it difficult when first using the controller or was it easy to pick up?

Have you heard any complaints or things someone wishes were different about the controller setup?

What is the process and how does it work to get a controller working with the interface Does it all work right off the bat or do you have to setup alot of stuff?

#117 Apr 25 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
sandpark wrote:
My question is about the controller scheme.
Was it difficult when first using the controller or was it easy to pick up?

Have you heard any complaints or things someone wishes were different about the controller setup?

What is the process and how does it work to get a controller working with the interface Does it all work right off the bat or do you have to setup alot of stuff?



I heard from other official sources that it is fully customizable and that it is super easy and fun to use.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#118 Apr 25 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
sandpark wrote:
My question is about the controller scheme.
Was it difficult when first using the controller or was it easy to pick up?

Have you heard any complaints or things someone wishes were different about the controller setup?

What is the process and how does it work to get a controller working with the interface Does it all work right off the bat or do you have to setup alot of stuff?



Everything is pretty automatic for the job you're currently on. New skills/spells are added as you gain them automatically, but you can rearrange them as you see fit. While possible to assign skills with the controller only, I found myself using the mouse just because it's faster.

It was a little weird when I first started using it, but once I rearranged my spells so the most common were the buttons and the less common were the d-pad, it became much easier to use. I really liked it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#119 Apr 25 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Good
**
740 posts
So, if I understood you correctly chocobos aren't a safe ride in ARR? I guess it makes sense from the realism perspective that you can still get attacked while riding but it'll take some getting used to. Are all dungeons instanced? As someone who loves to explore on my own it's suck to not be able to just go in and look around some dungeons as well. (Not to complain about the existence of instanced dungeons, I'm cool with that, I'd just like non-instanced ones as well.)
____________________________
Raine Storme on Adamantoise,
formerly Bayou on Carbuncle.
#120 Apr 25 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Wint wrote:
sandpark wrote:
My question is about the controller scheme.
Was it difficult when first using the controller or was it easy to pick up?

Have you heard any complaints or things someone wishes were different about the controller setup?

What is the process and how does it work to get a controller working with the interface Does it all work right off the bat or do you have to setup alot of stuff?



Everything is pretty automatic for the job you're currently on. New skills/spells are added as you gain them automatically, but you can rearrange them as you see fit. While possible to assign skills with the controller only, I found myself using the mouse just because it's faster.

It was a little weird when I first started using it, but once I rearranged my spells so the most common were the buttons and the less common were the d-pad, it became much easier to use. I really liked it.

Can you save your custom UI to the server?
Well it sounds awesome, still I wish there was some kind of specially built gamepad/keyboard hybrid similar in size to the old snes advantage or the wii-u. Just place a full size querty for typing and a touchpad for drag and drop functionality at the bottom or top, replace the stick and add two controller thumb analogs. So I could use one hardware interface to do everything.
.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Luz2PZvNF_o
#121 Apr 25 2013 at 3:36 PM Rating: Excellent
*
144 posts
Wint wrote:
Well I can't find the original post, so maybe it's old age catching up to me after all. I could have sworn someone was arguing that LS's would be camping FATEs but I must be wrong.

Lol if it wasnt Kachi it was Ostia. They seem to be the main ones who have exceptional arguments of the negative aspects of certain features. Most things they say i can agree with to an extent. they arent in the Poubelle region of negativity. However you spell his name.
#122 Apr 25 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
BayouGeorge wrote:
So, if I understood you correctly chocobos aren't a safe ride in ARR? I guess it makes sense from the realism perspective that you can still get attacked while riding but it'll take some getting used to. Are all dungeons instanced? As someone who loves to explore on my own it's suck to not be able to just go in and look around some dungeons as well. (Not to complain about the existence of instanced dungeons, I'm cool with that, I'd just like non-instanced ones as well.)

I believe Yoshi said they were all instance.. Not 100% on that though. Pretty sure they are though according to him. He said that places that use to be dungeons may be opened up but not instanced and could be explored with fates poping in them but not boss objective or anything like that aside from fate.
#123 Apr 25 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wint do you if anyone has tries the x360 keypad? Aside from typing that could be awesome for extra buttons...
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#124 Apr 25 2013 at 3:46 PM Rating: Excellent
*
194 posts
BayouGeorge wrote:
So, if I understood you correctly chocobos aren't a safe ride in ARR?


They weren't safe to ride in 1.x either. I kind of miss choco-immunity but this way makes you more aware of your surroundings.
____________________________
Among reasonable people, kindness is contagious.
#125 Apr 25 2013 at 6:13 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
AlexandEric wrote:
Wint wrote:
Well I can't find the original post, so maybe it's old age catching up to me after all. I could have sworn someone was arguing that LS's would be camping FATEs but I must be wrong.

Lol if it wasnt Kachi it was Ostia. They seem to be the main ones who have exceptional arguments of the negative aspects of certain features. Most things they say i can agree with to an extent. they arent in the Poubelle region of negativity. However you spell his name.


Lmao! I have never made an argument about LS camping Fates or anything related, i played rift and i played Gw2 it never happened there, so i would not even start to think it would be a problem here (Besides the point that the system is designed in such a way, to be impossible to camp and bar other players from accessing the content, as long as you deal dmg or heal, you get EXP and whatever rewards).... Now if the argument was NMS then yes, that is a different theme.
____________________________
MUTED
#126 Apr 25 2013 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
I prefer the chocobo not keeping you invincible, adds a little spice to your journeys.
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#127 Apr 25 2013 at 6:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
From the other thread:

J4n1 wrote:
1. how solo friendly is this game in general

2. can i own a chocobo or am i forced to rent one for travel

3. has the playstyle of classes changed much (esp Thaumaturge)?

4. how fast is levelling in general (if you solo)

5. we got housing? is it something an individual might enojy or do i need a guild/linkshard/whatever?

6. has questing changed from 1.0, if so, how?

7. do we still pick a starting city, if we do, does the choice matter in any way?


1. Not bad up until level 15, then after that your solo options are FATEs and Guildleves, and they aren't quite as efficient or fun as Instanced Dungeons.

2. You can own one, see my article, I loved it!

3. Thaumaturge wasn't available, since the battle system was pretty much completely overhauled, most things have changed.

4. Hard to say, FATEs are great XP, but sporadic, I made most of 27 and 28 solo on them over a weekend and had a lot of fun doing it.

5. No housing in beta yet, phase 3 I believe.

6. Easier to do? Keeping track of your quests is easier too, there is a space on the screen for up to 4 quests or guildleves.

7. I don't believe so but only Gridania was available for phase 1 and 2.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#128 Apr 25 2013 at 6:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
BayouGeorge wrote:
So, if I understood you correctly chocobos aren't a safe ride in ARR? I guess it makes sense from the realism perspective that you can still get attacked while riding but it'll take some getting used to. Are all dungeons instanced? As someone who loves to explore on my own it's suck to not be able to just go in and look around some dungeons as well. (Not to complain about the existence of instanced dungeons, I'm cool with that, I'd just like non-instanced ones as well.)


For mobs closer level to you, a few hits won't end your ride but if you run through a group of level 45's at level 30 as I did, one shot took over half my HP and knocked me clean off my bird.

We are limited to only surrounding areas to Gridania, so I can't answer the dungeon question yet.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#129 Apr 25 2013 at 6:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Wint do you if anyone has tries the x360 keypad? Aside from typing that could be awesome for extra buttons...


I don't know what that is...is it like a keyboard for the Xbox controller? Only keyboards I use are my Deathstalker Ultimate and my Black Widow Ultimate.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#130 Apr 25 2013 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
Wint wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Wint do you if anyone has tries the x360 keypad? Aside from typing that could be awesome for extra buttons...


I don't know what that is...is it like a keyboard for the Xbox controller? Only keyboards I use are my Deathstalker Ultimate and my Black Widow Ultimate.


Going to assume they mean this. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/headsetscommunication/Xbox360Chatpad Looks like a better location than the PS3 one.
#131 Apr 25 2013 at 9:41 PM Rating: Good
***
1,173 posts
Wint,

Maybe it was specifically someone asking about LSs ganging up on FATEs, but I think the general concern is that any wide open free-entry event is at risk of suffering from feast or famine.

Feast and there's so many people involved that you risk not getting enough participation for credit. Famine, and there aren't enough people to beat the content. In an MMO, either condition is possible for an open participation activity, since the number of participants can vary quite wildly.
____________________________
Valion, San d'Oria - Retired
Odin Server
SAM90/PLD90/COR90/BLU90/RDM90/SCH90

Valion Chevalier, Limsa Lominsa
Hyperion Server
50 All Classes

"Please, I have had too much of the stupid today. Please wait until tomorrow to say these things so my tolerance has refreshed."
-New Gold Dreams (another short-lived webcomic)
#132 Apr 25 2013 at 10:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Well even with the busiest FATE I've been in, I managed quite a bit of experience even though I was basically casting one spell per mob and it maybe lasted 5 minutes tops. I would say the equivalent of 3-4 Guildleves.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#133 Apr 25 2013 at 10:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
I may have missed it in the responses Wint, but I take it from the writeup that you have not touched the tradeskill classes yet in Beta?
#134 Apr 25 2013 at 10:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ravashack wrote:
I may have missed it in the responses Wint, but I take it from the writeup that you have not touched the tradeskill classes yet in Beta?


I've done leatherworking and botany. What's your question?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#135 Apr 25 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
How are you finding leatherworking compared to tradeskills before ARR?

In terms of:

Ease of item creation

Leveling rate

Worthiness of finished material (i.e. compared to equivalent dungeon gear, would anyone even bother with it)

Or are tradeskills in a sort of "going to expect some modifications in a later phase" situation where it's not going to matter what it is like now?
#136 Apr 26 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
Geffe wrote:
Wint wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Wint do you if anyone has tries the x360 keypad? Aside from typing that could be awesome for extra buttons...


I don't know what that is...is it like a keyboard for the Xbox controller? Only keyboards I use are my Deathstalker Ultimate and my Black Widow Ultimate.


Going to assume they mean this. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/headsetscommunication/Xbox360Chatpad Looks like a better location than the PS3 one.


Yea I understand a pc will recognize that as a keyboard so it should work in game...
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#137 Apr 26 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
59 posts
Wint wrote:

J4n1 wrote:

2. can i own a chocobo or am i forced to rent one for travel

2. You can own one, see my article, I loved it!

This pleases me greatly.
And earns Square Enix, if not absolution for the horrible game FFXIV was, atleast some amount of patience as i wait for a change to try FFXIV: ARR (the Pirate Edition).
#138 Apr 26 2013 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Have a couple of Q's, some have been partial answered so I apologize for any redundancy:

1. Is there haste/tp regen gear or is it too early to tell? Was there any in 1.0 near the end?

2. You say that FATEs and Guildleves are the 2nd best way to gain EXP after running instances/dungeons. Does that mean that there aren't a lot of other "WoW" like quests, or are you just limited access to those quests because of the nature of the beta. Meaning, are you able to quest and progress through the world with unique/story/otherwise progressive quests? (I'm disappointed in the lack of quests in 1.0 and hated Guildleves)

2b. I'm then assuming that PT play and "grinding"/classic FFXI would rather be done in progressing through a dungeon, than mindlessly grinding mobs?

3. While grinding solo, you said it was slow but how long does killing a mob take? Is it WoW fast or FFXI fast?

Thanks


#139 Apr 26 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kierk wrote:
Have a couple of Q's, some have been partial answered so I apologize for any redundancy:

1. Is there haste/tp regen gear or is it too early to tell? Was there any in 1.0 near the end?

2. You say that FATEs and Guildleves are the 2nd best way to gain EXP after running instances/dungeons. Does that mean that there aren't a lot of other "WoW" like quests, or are you just limited access to those quests because of the nature of the beta. Meaning, are you able to quest and progress through the world with unique/story/otherwise progressive quests? (I'm disappointed in the lack of quests in 1.0 and hated Guildleves)

2b. I'm then assuming that PT play and "grinding"/classic FFXI would rather be done in progressing through a dungeon, than mindlessly grinding mobs?

3. While grinding solo, you said it was slow but how long does killing a mob take? Is it WoW fast or FFXI fast?

Thanks




1. Well by haste it could be said that the Skill/Spell Speed + gear is haste gear. Nothing I saw gave Regen/Refresh yet.

2. There are a LOT more quests than 1.0, rest assured. FATE is a very viable substitute to guildleves, although I'd suggest giving them a try again, they've revamped them quite a bit to give them several different "styles" to choose from. Once they open up the whole world, more quests will be available for the other cities as well, I don't think there will be a shortage of content this time.

2b. I think instances are meant to replace traditional XI parties. The plus side to that is they don't take as long to form, don't take as long to complete a goal, and give you just as much XP.

3. I last played WoW before Lich King, so I can't compare it to that. Faster, much faster, than XI.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#140 Apr 26 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Kierk wrote:
Have a couple of Q's, some have been partial answered so I apologize for any redundancy:

1. Is there haste/tp regen gear or is it too early to tell? Was there any in 1.0 near the end?

2. You say that FATEs and Guildleves are the 2nd best way to gain EXP after running instances/dungeons. Does that mean that there aren't a lot of other "WoW" like quests, or are you just limited access to those quests because of the nature of the beta. Meaning, are you able to quest and progress through the world with unique/story/otherwise progressive quests? (I'm disappointed in the lack of quests in 1.0 and hated Guildleves)

2b. I'm then assuming that PT play and "grinding"/classic FFXI would rather be done in progressing through a dungeon, than mindlessly grinding mobs?

3. While grinding solo, you said it was slow but how long does killing a mob take? Is it WoW fast or FFXI fast?

Thanks




Might be easier if you think of it this way... if you played FFXI, you had all your classes on that one character still, but you could only do quests once.

So you are probably in the same boat here, where, whatever quests you have, you're only going to be able to use them to level up one or maaaaaybe two classes at most.
#141 Apr 26 2013 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Thanks Wint. :)

@Ravashack, I'd assume you'd be able to do the "WoW" type quests over if/when you changed jobs/classes. But couldn't redo a quest on your current class; or could redo a quest with your current class just with a reduction in EXP/GIL whatever...? In this case you'd rather be doing guildleves.

I'd also assume that class quests like those in FFXI couldn't be redone?

---

If guildleves had decent rewards and challenge and variety (which it sounds like they may/do have) then thats a great start.
#142 Apr 27 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Kierk wrote:
Thanks Wint. :)

@Ravashack, I'd assume you'd be able to do the "WoW" type quests over if/when you changed jobs/classes. But couldn't redo a quest on your current class; or could redo a quest with your current class just with a reduction in EXP/GIL whatever...? In this case you'd rather be doing guildleves.

I'd also assume that class quests like those in FFXI couldn't be redone?

---

If guildleves had decent rewards and challenge and variety (which it sounds like they may/do have) then thats a great start.


I would be very surprised if you could redo non-leve quests, because quests were tied by character, not class.
#143 Apr 27 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I can confirm quests can't be redone on new jobs. Each job/class has their own job specific quests, but the non-job related ones can only be done once.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#148 Apr 28 2013 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
According to the GamerEscape Q&A Scession there really isn't a TP issue.

As described by Fusionx and DoctorMog (The Latter of which I can confirm to being inside Gridania.) There really is not an issue with TP (it was a question raised.) The regeneration rate is enough that for Soloing, or short fights (They cite under 30 seconds). TP management is not an issue. However, for fights over 30 seconds, or above, TP regeneration is about 'where it should be', according to their opinion.

Again, all this information comes from their Q&A session and cannot be confirmed or denied by non-media staff, as the NDA for combat is still in place.

It was also stated in the same Q&A session that FATES in Beta tend to be unbalanced when they are overpopulated (They say it's likely due to the population being condensed into Black Shroud), and that encountering the FATES that are not being hoarded is an enjoyable experience.


Also, it's not nice to spread rumors, especially if your sources are an NDA violation of some sort.

Edited, Apr 28th 2013 8:47pm by Wint
#149 Apr 28 2013 at 7:48 PM Rating: Good
***
3,386 posts
Quote:
It was also stated in the same Q&A session that FATES in Beta tend to be unbalanced when they are overpopulated (They say it's likely due to the population being condensed into Black Shroud), and that encountering the FATES that are not being hoarded is an enjoyable experience.


That would be no different than zone and rift events in Rift both in beta and near launch. Overpopulation in a zone will make them disproportionately easy.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#150 Apr 28 2013 at 7:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Quote:
It was also stated in the same Q&A session that FATES in Beta tend to be unbalanced when they are overpopulated (They say it's likely due to the population being condensed into Black Shroud), and that encountering the FATES that are not being hoarded is an enjoyable experience.


That would be no different than zone and rift events in Rift both in beta and near launch. Overpopulation in a zone will make them disproportionately easy.



It's the same way in Guild Wars 2 as well. Too many people swarming an area will kill the ability to enjoy the content. in GW2 it's a problem that solves itself once the population moves on. We'll have to wait until the NDA lifts and/or these so-called "End-FATES" the podcast described come into effect. I think they mentioned that they're not in the game yet, but it's a two hour long podcast, I might have zoned out during that part. They did cover quite a lot.
#151 Apr 28 2013 at 8:00 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
25 posts
[quote=][/quote]
Did my post get deleted?
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 74 All times are in CDT
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (73)