Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Been away for a while, have a few ?'s about the "new FFXIV"Follow

#1 May 07 2013 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
So I put a lot of time into FFXIV, but left before the news of a new game being made so I'm completely lost about what is going on.

Are they making a completely new game altogether?
What happens to our old game?
Do characters transfer over or is everything new?
Same terrible Crysta plan?

I'm just confused in general as I haven't followed anything really since I left FFXIV behind. Any information is appreciated, or a direction as to where I can find information! Thanks!!! Nilbog Nekurd
____________________________
name: Nilbog
server: Lakshmi
Race: Mithra
Jobs: 75 nin, 75 thf, 75 war
[ffxivsig]312278[/ffxivsig]
#2 May 07 2013 at 2:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm not the most knowledgeable about the details, but I think:

1: The game is not "completely" new, although massively overhauled. Same world, cities, classes, etc., set several years after the incidents in the first release. The actual physical world has changed tremendously (no more copypasta zones). It is a mostly new game, but with many of the basic features and art assets carrying over, and a continuation of the story from version 1.

2/3: If you actively played version 1 in its final months, you could apply for Legacy status, which would allow you to keep your character on certain approved servers. I think if you didn't apply for Legacy status, your character would be deleted. If you don't have a Legacy character, you'll have the choice to play on a fresh server or on a server with other players who are using their old characters.

4: I don't think so.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#3 May 07 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
Oh ok, I think I get it.

In that case I'd be much better off joining a fresh server with all players starting at level 1 since I did not apply for Legacy status. Thanks for your help!
____________________________
name: Nilbog
server: Lakshmi
Race: Mithra
Jobs: 75 nin, 75 thf, 75 war
[ffxivsig]312278[/ffxivsig]
#4 May 07 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
***
3,707 posts
Quote:
Same terrible Crysta plan?


Hopefully not. SE currently allows FFXI subscriptions to be paid directly with a credit card, just like a real company. Hopefully they'll allow FFXIV subscriptions to be paid the same way (don't assume...this is SE...they have very good drugs).
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 May 07 2013 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*
130 posts
I think all characters from the original launch carry over to 2.0, not just legacy.
However, if you want to start over completely, you have the option of starting on a server where there are only new characters.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#6 May 07 2013 at 2:27 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Nilbog wrote:
So I put a lot of time into FFXIV, but left before the news of a new game being made so I'm completely lost about what is going on.

Are they making a completely new game altogether?
What happens to our old game?
Do characters transfer over or is everything new?
Same terrible Crysta plan?

I'm just confused in general as I haven't followed anything really since I left FFXIV behind. Any information is appreciated, or a direction as to where I can find information! Thanks!!! Nilbog Nekurd


I'll take a stab at this.

1) Although the game is based on the same world with a continuing story, characters, and other elements from the first game it's as close to being new as it can get without changing these universe related aspects. Everything has been overhauled, from the graphics, to the server infrastructure, to the design of the world, to class abilities, and a absolute massive amount of systems and content has been added.

The tl;dr is that this game is a real high production value version of XIV, with all the features and comforts that a modern MMO should have (and 1.0 lacked).

2+3) Go to YouTube and search End of an Era FFXIV. The story events at the end of 1.0 set up the overhaul/rebirth of the game in ARR.

In terms of characters, your character will carry over so your progress will not be lost. You can change your name and race at startup if you wish, though I suggest you re-roll anyway as so much is different.

4) No there are like 17 methods of payment now, including a direct credit card billing.

Welcome back to Eorzea.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#7 May 07 2013 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
Thanks for all the information! I can't wait to get back into Eorzea!

I'll tell you one thing about rerolling... I'll be one of the first players to have fishing poles in my bazaar! $$$$$$
____________________________
name: Nilbog
server: Lakshmi
Race: Mithra
Jobs: 75 nin, 75 thf, 75 war
[ffxivsig]312278[/ffxivsig]
#8 May 07 2013 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
In case you haven't seen it here is End of an Era video that kinda shows you what happend and what's to come for ARR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqL3-n2-3J4
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#9 May 07 2013 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kachi wrote:
2/3: If you actively played version 1 in its final months, you could apply for Legacy status, which would allow you to keep your character on certain approved servers. I think if you didn't apply for Legacy status, your character would be deleted. If you don't have a Legacy character, you'll have the choice to play on a fresh server or on a server with other players who are using their old characters.


Legacy only means you paid for 3 months during the last year the game was going. All existing character data will be migrated, even those who only played a month after launch.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 May 07 2013 at 4:26 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Ah, I wasn't clear on that. I guess what confuses me is that I've heard the existing character servers described as Legacy servers. I assume you can't take your level 30 character that isn't "Legacy" and place it on a fresh server, so it would only be playable on a "legacy" server? If not that, then they'll either have 3 server types (legacy, fresh, and "not legacy but not fresh") or people with pre-existing characters CAN play on fresh servers. Make sense?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#11 May 07 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Excellent
*
130 posts
Kachi wrote:
Ah, I wasn't clear on that. I guess what confuses me is that I've heard the existing character servers described as Legacy servers. I assume you can't take your level 30 character that isn't "Legacy" and place it on a fresh server, so it would only be playable on a "legacy" server? If not that, then they'll either have 3 server types (legacy, fresh, and "not legacy but not fresh") or people with pre-existing characters CAN play on fresh servers. Make sense?


The former. 2 server types, new or not new. "Not new" can be a level 1 pug you named Ihaverobotarms Pewpew, all the way up to a legacy character with 50 in everything.

That name's taken on wutai/masamune >.>
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#12 May 07 2013 at 5:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Ah, I wasn't clear on that. I guess what confuses me is that I've heard the existing character servers described as Legacy servers. I assume you can't take your level 30 character that isn't "Legacy" and place it on a fresh server, so it would only be playable on a "legacy" server? If not that, then they'll either have 3 server types (legacy, fresh, and "not legacy but not fresh") or people with pre-existing characters CAN play on fresh servers. Make sense?


The former. 2 server types, new or not new. "Not new" can be a level 1 pug you named Ihaverobotarms Pewpew, all the way up to a legacy character with 50 in everything.

That name's taken on wutai/masamune >.>


This. Not new = Legacy.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#13 May 07 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Ah, I wasn't clear on that. I guess what confuses me is that I've heard the existing character servers described as Legacy servers. I assume you can't take your level 30 character that isn't "Legacy" and place it on a fresh server, so it would only be playable on a "legacy" server? If not that, then they'll either have 3 server types (legacy, fresh, and "not legacy but not fresh") or people with pre-existing characters CAN play on fresh servers. Make sense?


The former. 2 server types, new or not new. "Not new" can be a level 1 pug you named Ihaverobotarms Pewpew, all the way up to a legacy character with 50 in everything.

That name's taken on wutai/masamune >.>


This. Not new = Legacy and Existing characters from 1.0. It is rather confusing now that I think about it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#14 May 07 2013 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Thanks for clearing that up.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#15 May 07 2013 at 6:10 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Wint wrote:
Kachi wrote:
2/3: If you actively played version 1 in its final months, you could apply for Legacy status, which would allow you to keep your character on certain approved servers. I think if you didn't apply for Legacy status, your character would be deleted. If you don't have a Legacy character, you'll have the choice to play on a fresh server or on a server with other players who are using their old characters.


Legacy only means you paid for 3 months during the last year the game was going. All existing character data will be migrated, even those who only played a month after launch.


OMG thank goodness. I was really getting worried there for a sec that my 50 char was going bye bye.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#16 May 07 2013 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Legacy Status = You paid for the game when subs started. You get reduced fees, extra mounts, etc.
Legacy Character = Any character that was around in 1.0 times gets transferred over to ARR with a new storyline. Legacy characters are treated in the new world by in-game characters as "Hollow Beings".

Legacy Character doesn't necessarily mean you have Legacy Status, but no characters were deleted due to inactivity.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#17 May 07 2013 at 8:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Well that's cool. I guess I'll plan on sticking things out with my original character then. I didn't think there would be any particular advantage to using my old character--I literally did almost nothing on him. But I'd probably use him for the special story.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#18 May 08 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
I wonder how much different the story would be? Like enough to make a new character to try do the other story as well.
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#19 May 08 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I don't think it'll be radically different, but I don't think the NPCs will act like they just met you, either.

Personally, I'm thinking the legacy characters will be seen as outcasts by the in-game NPCs because Louisoix teleported them to the future and left the current population at the mercy of Bahamut. That's just me speculating.

Edited, May 8th 2013 8:27am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#20 May 08 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I don't think it'll be radically different, but I don't think the NPCs will act like they just met you, either.

Personally, I'm thinking the legacy characters will be seen as outcasts by the in-game NPCs because Louisoix teleported them to the future and left the current population at the mercy of Bahamut. That's just me speculating.

Edited, May 8th 2013 8:27am by UltKnightGrover


More like ghosts, I expect. They thought that everyone who was in the final battle died at Bahamut's hands (flames? mouth?) - they had no idea that Lousoix managed to save many of them.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#21 May 08 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Catwho wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I don't think it'll be radically different, but I don't think the NPCs will act like they just met you, either.

Personally, I'm thinking the legacy characters will be seen as outcasts by the in-game NPCs because Louisoix teleported them to the future and left the current population at the mercy of Bahamut. That's just me speculating.

Edited, May 8th 2013 8:27am by UltKnightGrover


More like ghosts, I expect. They thought that everyone who was in the final battle died at Bahamut's hands (flames? mouth?) - they had no idea that Lousoix managed to save many of them.


I'm actually really excited to get reamed out by Merelwyb for fleeing like a coward.
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#22 May 08 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
Does anyone know what the price of the orginal XIV CE was? 1.0 CE rather.. I was looking online but I couldnt find it because work computers blocking me lol.. Im curious how close the price of the original CE will compare with ARR CE as I plan to by the one ARR offers.
#23 May 08 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
79.99 I think...
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#24 May 08 2013 at 12:16 PM Rating: Decent
Kind of a random question, are level caps going to be raised on the legacy servers? In the previous version people would be doing endgame and such, but this is the beginning so no endgame? Are the new story line quests going to scale to high level characters? I know there's a lot of new activities like FATEs and such, just curious as it would seem there wouldn't be much to do for maxed out players.
#25 May 08 2013 at 12:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
There will be plenty of endgame.

This isn't a new game. The old endgame is planned to be carried over and revamped, with the addition of many new dungeons including at least 2 intense dungeons that we know of, The Crystal Tower and The Labyrinth of Bahamut.

Additionally, there will be the roaming primal battles, where finding Ifrit in the wild and defeating him will grant your Free Company the power to summon him during a battle (just once). After he's been cast, he will be free to appear in the world randomly again.

MANY new primals, in addition to the previous ones, the Relic quest, etc.

Us legacy will be busy, no worries..

But no, no level increase.

Edited, May 8th 2013 2:32pm by Louiscool
____________________________

[ffxivsig]1183812[/ffxivsig]
#26 May 08 2013 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Louiscool wrote:
There will be plenty of endgame.

This isn't a new game. The old endgame is planned to be carried over and revamped, with the addition of many new dungeons including at least 2 intense dungeons that we know of, The Crystal Tower and The Labyrinth of Bahamut.

Additionally, there will be the roaming primal battles, where finding Ifrit in the wild and defeating him will grant your Free Company the power to summon him during a battle (just once). After he's been cast, he will be free to appear in the world randomly again.

MANY new primals, in addition to the previous ones, the Relic quest, etc.

Us legacy will be busy, no worries..

But no, no level increase.

Edited, May 8th 2013 2:32pm by Louiscool


Ah ok, thanks

Edit: The roaming Primal battles sound sick, I can see companies having a few scouts in every zone waiting for a pop...like old school NM camping

Edited, May 8th 2013 11:38am by SkinwalkerAsura
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 68 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (68)