Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

The Final, Final FantasyFollow

#52 May 11 2013 at 3:58 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Ostia wrote:
Oh and noob is not offensive, we are all noobs at one point or another Smiley: lol


It's called connotation. When you use the word in the way that you did, it becomes a demeaning insult meant to try and show how you are superior. In the right context, you are correct that noob isn't offensive. "Lol, Bartel just fell off the cliff again. What a noob." It's a light-hearted jab. When you turn it into "Noob, i have beaten FFIX countless times, please do tell me the scenario where they recreated the fire in nibelhelm", you are trying to infer that you are better than him and know more than him. It becomes derogatory. Like I said, it's all about the connotation.

As to quoting you, please re-read my last comment. If that's not what you were inferring, I apologize... but whether you'll admit it or not, it seems pretty obvious that's what you were getting at, considering you've posted those exact sentiments in other threads. Regardless, I really don't care one way or the other. Throwing insults doesn't prove anything other than that you're either extremely bitter and angry or extremely arrogant. It certainly doesn't win you arguments or make anyone agree with what you have to say.

Edited, May 11th 2013 5:58pm by BartelX
#53 May 13 2013 at 8:40 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Ostia wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Ostia what about you take it down a notch? In your last posts i saw you call people idiots noobs etc and you playing it like you are god and you know all there is out and the rest know sh**t. Please try to keep it civil.


Or ? You going to rate me downSmiley: lol He was being an idiot, or would you rather have me call him a liar ? or stupid ? I mean making an argument about something that i did not argue about is pretty Stupid. It would be like me and you arguing about who the greatest basket ball player is, and then me saying "Well Teravibe the yankees are the best baseball team ever, so tiger woods is better than michael jordan" Smiley: lol Which is pretty stupid Smiley: lol

Also since when is the word "Noob" offensive ? Seriously you guys are such carebears at times.


Rate you down? I got rated down and all I did was make the topic, I didn't even complain after people completely hijacked it and started answering COMPLETELY different questions than posed in the OP lol.

Anyways it seems this post has dwindled into a name-calling fest, instead of answering the question if there will be a "final" final fantasy...

Anyone care to answer the actual question?

P.s. why do people care about getting rated up or down so much? If you want to get rated up, just compliment people on how "utterly insightful, intelligent, and thought provoking" their posts are and they'll rate you up... alternatively you can bash favorite "enemies" of the board. The enemies of the board can't even rate you down lmao.
#54 May 17 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
The Final Fantasy name isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's still hugely successful and popular, even if the games aren't what they used to be.

As for FF14 borrowing from past installments.. I honestly don't care. Whatever makes the game better I'm down for. And in fact it's really cool seeing some classic designs making their way into it. They're classic for a reason.
#55 May 17 2013 at 7:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
je355804 wrote:


Rate you down? I got rated down and all I did was make the topic, I didn't even complain after people completely hijacked it and started answering COMPLETELY different questions than posed in the OP lol.

Anyways it seems this post has dwindled into a name-calling fest, instead of answering the question if there will be a "final" final fantasy...

Anyone care to answer the actual question?

P.s. why do people care about getting rated up or down so much? If you want to get rated up, just compliment people on how "utterly insightful, intelligent, and thought provoking" their posts are and they'll rate you up... alternatively you can bash favorite "enemies" of the board. The enemies of the board can't even rate you down lmao.

I'll answer your question. The IP will never die as long as the medium of videogames exist just as classic cartoons still exist today. Companies however are not permanent. They split, merge, file for bankruptcy, or shut down. So It might one day be a property owned by another company. Future iterations might also be colored different like transformers of the 80s are different from transformers of today.

In the end I will say this. We shouldn't worry about when the sun will die out, the oceans will dry out, the stars no longer shine, all of earths oxygen is consumed, or the world ends. All we can do is enjoy every moment that has passed or is right now and seek to better the world of tomorrow. There are two extremes, things you can control and things you cannot control. Worrying about the things you can't control is a recipe for a feeling of helplessness and negativity.
#56Ostia, Posted: May 17 2013 at 7:47 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Nobody really cares... Hence why i said "What are you gonna do ? Rate me down ?" The only people that care are people that disagree and cannot have an argument with another person.... As for the Final Final Fantasy.... It was lost oddyse.
#57 May 18 2013 at 1:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Ostia wrote:
je355804 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Ostia what about you take it down a notch? In your last posts i saw you call people idiots noobs etc and you playing it like you are god and you know all there is out and the rest know sh**t. Please try to keep it civil.


Or ? You going to rate me downSmiley: lol He was being an idiot, or would you rather have me call him a liar ? or stupid ? I mean making an argument about something that i did not argue about is pretty Stupid. It would be like me and you arguing about who the greatest basket ball player is, and then me saying "Well Teravibe the yankees are the best baseball team ever, so tiger woods is better than michael jordan" Smiley: lol Which is pretty stupid Smiley: lol

Also since when is the word "Noob" offensive ? Seriously you guys are such carebears at times.


Rate you down? I got rated down and all I did was make the topic, I didn't even complain after people completely hijacked it and started answering COMPLETELY different questions than posed in the OP lol.

Anyways it seems this post has dwindled into a name-calling fest, instead of answering the question if there will be a "final" final fantasy...

Anyone care to answer the actual question?

P.s. why do people care about getting rated up or down so much? If you want to get rated up, just compliment people on how "utterly insightful, intelligent, and thought provoking" their posts are and they'll rate you up... alternatively you can bash favorite "enemies" of the board. The enemies of the board can't even rate you down lmao.


Nobody really cares... Hence why i said "What are you gonna do ? Rate me down ?" The only people that care are people that disagree and cannot have an argument with another person.... As for the Final Final Fantasy.... It was lost oddyse.


I was not gonna keep feeding you but, seriously? "the only people that care are people that disagree and cannot have an argument" ? You called people idiots and noobs (even if you believe you didn't use it offensive buhahah) and i can't hold an argument? My god.And no Ostia as much as you want to be seen as a martyr i did not rate you down cause i think its stupid to even have a rate down option.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#58 May 18 2013 at 1:34 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Ostia wrote:
je355804 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Ostia what about you take it down a notch? In your last posts i saw you call people idiots noobs etc and you playing it like you are god and you know all there is out and the rest know sh**t. Please try to keep it civil.


Or ? You going to rate me downSmiley: lol He was being an idiot, or would you rather have me call him a liar ? or stupid ? I mean making an argument about something that i did not argue about is pretty Stupid. It would be like me and you arguing about who the greatest basket ball player is, and then me saying "Well Teravibe the yankees are the best baseball team ever, so tiger woods is better than michael jordan" Smiley: lol Which is pretty stupid Smiley: lol

Also since when is the word "Noob" offensive ? Seriously you guys are such carebears at times.


Rate you down? I got rated down and all I did was make the topic, I didn't even complain after people completely hijacked it and started answering COMPLETELY different questions than posed in the OP lol.

Anyways it seems this post has dwindled into a name-calling fest, instead of answering the question if there will be a "final" final fantasy...

Anyone care to answer the actual question?

P.s. why do people care about getting rated up or down so much? If you want to get rated up, just compliment people on how "utterly insightful, intelligent, and thought provoking" their posts are and they'll rate you up... alternatively you can bash favorite "enemies" of the board. The enemies of the board can't even rate you down lmao.


Nobody really cares... Hence why i said "What are you gonna do ? Rate me down ?" The only people that care are people that disagree and cannot have an argument with another person.... As for the Final Final Fantasy.... It was lost oddyse.


I was not gonna keep feeding you but, seriously? "the only people that care are people that disagree and cannot have an argument" ? You called people idiots and noobs (even if you believe you didn't use it offensive buhahah) and i can't hold an argument? My god.And no Ostia as much as you want to be seen as a martyr i did not rate you down cause i think its stupid to even have a rate down option.


Feeding ? Lmao! Please... Even if i where trolling you, i would not call that feeding... You are to easy to rile up kid. Oh and please get some context, i has never crossed my mind being a martyr, the comment i made about rate downs where in the context of "Well if i dont behave what are you gonna do pal ? Rate me down ? As in please there is nothing you can do, carry on" I have actually never worried about rating or rate ups or downs Smiley: lol

Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.
____________________________
MUTED
#59 May 18 2013 at 8:04 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.
#60 May 18 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


@Ostia, Posting-under-the-influence kills.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#61 May 18 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Because sometimes you just got to.


*bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce-bounce*
...

What?


On topic:

Do I think there will be a 'final' FF?

Hmm. You know, three years ago I would never have even considered the question. That would be like asking if there was going to be a final national geographic, or that television.

I think so much as Square Enix keeps the business of RPGs, we'll have a Final Fantasy. I know the losses seen in the report is staggering to the layman, but considering how much net income they make in total, this was more like taking a left hook to the face rather than a sword to your gut in terms of the business survivability.

I still think Square Enix has some serious soul searching to do, especially when it comes to the future of their flagship franchise, but I don't think we'll see the end of Final Fantasy in the foreseeable future. The fans want it, will buy it, and Square Enix takes a strange sort of pride for it.

Now I do think if things go really badly, they may just focus Final Fantasy for the Eastern audience, rather than port it over. They've done it before with titles.

Edited, May 18th 2013 11:07am by Hyrist
#62 May 18 2013 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
I agree with Hyrist. Even in the occasion that SE closes as a company someone will definitely buy the FF games and start making them again. I believe it has a very long history for people to just let it go.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#63 May 18 2013 at 11:26 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.
____________________________
MUTED
#64 May 18 2013 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Actually noob is offensive according to online dictionaries.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=noob

Of course I can not say they are 100% accurate in their definitions for obvious reasons also since it's not even a proper word if I am not mistaken.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#65 May 18 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Oh My! Such offensiveness..... Not! LOL!
____________________________
MUTED
#66 May 18 2013 at 11:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Well i am not saying it is correct, but i posted it to show you that noob can in fact have offensive nature. There are more opinions in to why it is offensive or to be more accurate how to make it offensive. Even if you do not agree with that you can see that in the internet there are people besides this forum that in fact believe noob is or can be offensive.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#67 May 18 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Why would I be soft? I wasn't the one you called a noob. Regardless, I'm not going to get drawn back into your circular logic arguments. I'm glad you don't think it's offensive, that doesn't make you right.
#68 May 18 2013 at 12:25 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Is Ostia for real? I can't imagine why anyone frequent a board that causes them so much stress and anger.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#69 May 18 2013 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
In the realm of both court and public opinion, offensiveness is determined by the inference of the receiver. If you say something questionable, or off color, and the person takes offense, really the only thing that needs to be done is a quick apology and move on.

Ostia, the fact that you continue on this vein of self defense and counter-standard conversation is just making matters worse. A mountain is being made out of a molehill.

You didn't think 'noob' was an insult. Ok, fine. But it is to many, and you most defiantly used it in the context that would be received as such. This should not have been a big deal and you've turned in into one. Just learn the lesson and move on man.

Anyways.

Here's a deviation off the original topic - do you think it would be healthy, or unhealthy to the gaming community of Final Fantasy went the way of the dodo?

Personally I think we're due for some more flagship rpg seriese, but Mass Effect concluded with a controversy and the next series of that line of games as well as Dragon Age is questionable given the departure of the Bioware Doctors, and the notoriousness that was ME3's ending as well as DA2.

It just feels like the RPG, genre is starting to stumble a bit. This may, however, be a symptom of the changed gamer dynamic.

As much people are calling for more innovation, I'm wondering if we need to really re-explore the roots of the RPG. Take a look at some of the most successful classics and see if we can't incorporate or adapt those elements.
#70 May 18 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I know what killed innovation in gaming. It got cool. When I was in high school, kids made fun of me for playing hookey when FF III came out. Now, it's the polar opposite. If you're not gaming, you're the minority. Games now have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Instant gratification and death matches and head shots and bullkraap. I'm tired of it. lol

More of the same has been vomited out of gaming companies for years now, and millions of people line up outside Gamestappo at mindnight every few months to slurp it up. I think Final Fantasy is one of the few series that has many entries yet isn't ever the same exact thing over and over. If there is any genre that has nothing but room to grow, I think RPG's is that genre.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#71 May 18 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
I think this problem isn't just in the gaming community. A lot of forms of art, including literature and cinema have fallen into this same pit hole. Call of Duty, 50 Shades of Grey, the Twilight books/movies--all of these are majorly successful, but anyone with a real eye for talent can say that these things are a big mess. I do think it's a problem that gaming has become cool--we don't have that exclusivity anymore. Developers want to appeal to a broader audience. ****, I even recall FFXIII's director saying the battle system in that game was inspired by FPS games.

I really agree that S-E has some soul searching to do. They need to strike that balance between satisfying their core audience while still attracting a fair amount of newcomers to keep the IP going. I wish they knew how to grow with us, the fans that have been behind them for over 20 years now. If they don't, they'll have to keep riding on the coat tails of the new adolescent generations that keep coming through.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#72 May 18 2013 at 11:34 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Hyrist wrote:
In the realm of both court and public opinion, offensiveness is determined by the inference of the receiver. If you say something questionable, or off color, and the person takes offense, really the only thing that needs to be done is a quick apology and move on.

Ostia, the fact that you continue on this vein of self defense and counter-standard conversation is just making matters worse. A mountain is being made out of a molehill.

You didn't think 'noob' was an insult. Ok, fine. But it is to many, and you most defiantly used it in the context that would be received as such. This should not have been a big deal and you've turned in into one. Just learn the lesson and move on man.

Anyways.

Here's a deviation off the original topic - do you think it would be healthy, or unhealthy to the gaming community of Final Fantasy went the way of the dodo?

Personally I think we're due for some more flagship rpg seriese, but Mass Effect concluded with a controversy and the next series of that line of games as well as Dragon Age is questionable given the departure of the Bioware Doctors, and the notoriousness that was ME3's ending as well as DA2.

It just feels like the RPG, genre is starting to stumble a bit. This may, however, be a symptom of the changed gamer dynamic.

As much people are calling for more innovation, I'm wondering if we need to really re-explore the roots of the RPG. Take a look at some of the most successful classics and see if we can't incorporate or adapt those elements.


For my personal health... I vote unhealthy.
#73 May 18 2013 at 11:36 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
LebargeX wrote:
I know what killed innovation in gaming. It got cool. When I was in high school, kids made fun of me for playing hookey when FF III came out. Now, it's the polar opposite. If you're not gaming, you're the minority. Games now have to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Instant gratification and death matches and head shots and bullkraap. I'm tired of it. lol

More of the same has been vomited out of gaming companies for years now, and millions of people line up outside Gamestappo at mindnight every few months to slurp it up. I think Final Fantasy is one of the few series that has many entries yet isn't ever the same exact thing over and over. If there is any genre that has nothing but room to grow, I think RPG's is that genre.


This is absolutely right... I never actually could figure out why this was happening, I just chalked it up to different generations.

However now that you bring that up I really think that has a lot to do with it.
#74 May 19 2013 at 12:39 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Hyrist wrote:
In the realm of both court and public opinion, offensiveness is determined by the inference of the receiver. If you say something questionable, or off color, and the person takes offense, really the only thing that needs to be done is a quick apology and move on.

Ostia, the fact that you continue on this vein of self defense and counter-standard conversation is just making matters worse. A mountain is being made out of a molehill.

You didn't think 'noob' was an insult. Ok, fine. But it is to many, and you most defiantly used it in the context that would be received as such. This should not have been a big deal and you've turned in into one. Just learn the lesson and move on man.

Anyways.

Here's a deviation off the original topic - do you think it would be healthy, or unhealthy to the gaming community of Final Fantasy went the way of the dodo?

Personally I think we're due for some more flagship rpg seriese, but Mass Effect concluded with a controversy and the next series of that line of games as well as Dragon Age is questionable given the departure of the Bioware Doctors, and the notoriousness that was ME3's ending as well as DA2.

It just feels like the RPG, genre is starting to stumble a bit. This may, however, be a symptom of the changed gamer dynamic.

As much people are calling for more innovation, I'm wondering if we need to really re-explore the roots of the RPG. Take a look at some of the most successful classics and see if we can't incorporate or adapt those elements.


Erm! I never made it a big deal, you guys and by you guys i do not mean you btw, made it into a big deal, my actual quote was "Noob, i have beaten IX countless times" .... Please do tell me in which part did i insult and was offensive... I'll Wait!

As for what you said about the Rpg Genre! It fell flat on it's face since the mid Ps2 era, this generation has been utter garbage as far as RPG are concerned, it is not that we need to re-explore the roots, is that company's have gotten lazy, and very un-creative as far as story lines and story telling, they are far to content with delivering mediocre titles, in the hopes of cashing In. And SE is one of the primary culprits of this practice, long gone are the days of Squaresoft's magnificent catalog, where you did not needed to wait 6 years for a final fantasy title, and they actually cared about their other Ip's, now is just either final fantasy or DQ... or some lame attempt at cashing on kingdom hearts for the 50 time.

Oh or some IV remake lol
____________________________
MUTED
#75 May 19 2013 at 3:55 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm really not offended by being the target of Ostia's "noob" statements. It's not my fault he/she doesn't pay attention to the games they play.

I think S-E is looking into the wrong aspects of what made the early Final Fantasy games so successful. The team(s) seem to think the graphics, the impressive CG, and the characters with wild hairstyles make the game. While it's certainly a trope that the series has used, the once in-depth gameplay/exploration/musical/storytelling mix has either been simplified or hollowed out to appeal to as what one poster said above, the lowest common denominator.

Now I sound like some kind of old-school RPG hipster.

Edited, May 19th 2013 2:56am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#76 May 19 2013 at 8:30 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I appreciate the sentiment, but I'm really not offended by being the target of Ostia's "noob" statements. It's not my fault he/she doesn't pay attention to the games they play.

I think S-E is looking into the wrong aspects of what made the early Final Fantasy games so successful. The team(s) seem to think the graphics, the impressive CG, and the characters with wild hairstyles make the game. While it's certainly a trope that the series has used, the once in-depth gameplay/exploration/musical/storytelling mix has either been simplified or hollowed out to appeal to as what one poster said above, the lowest common denominator.

Now I sound like some kind of old-school RPG hipster.

Edited, May 19th 2013 2:56am by UltKnightGrover


If Mass Effect (2 is what I'm playing now) can have a galaxy map with so many interesting areas..imagine what a Modern Final Fantasy could have on terms of exploration. That's why I believe that ARR might be the new direction for the series.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#77 May 19 2013 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#78 May 19 2013 at 1:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.

It's perception no matter what word is used. Usually offensive becomes so when a remark made strikes close to home of a person's perception of themselves. If I walk up to you and tell you that you have a big head, move to the side. The shadow of your head is blotting out the sun. The words itself are just a statement. If you are self conscious about the size of your head, it's taken offensively. If you are not self conscious about the size of your head. You would start laughing and say I am absurd.

Even the most derogatory/abusive/antagonizing remarks aimed towards you, hold little substance if you have a high self esteem and are loving. The only time perception wouldn't matter much is when those remarks are aimed towards someone close and dear to you. You have to protect the honor and safety of your loved ones.
#79 May 19 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
All I'm going to say is, some of you guys need to find a comfy pair of shorts, sit in a lawn chair outside with some reggae on. Pop open a beer or enjoy a blended frozen drink. Smile, guys. ^^
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#80 May 19 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
In Ostia's case Im pretty sure offending is the intention. If I tell him "you are an *******," thats offensive whether he takes offense or not. It's incompetent communication, Ostia's specialty.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#81 May 19 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
970 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
In Ostia's case Im pretty sure offending is the intention. If I tell him "you are an @#%^," thats offensive whether he takes offense or not. It's incompetent communication, Ostia's specialty.

Often the person issuing remarks may not be coming from an offending or superior intention. Sometimes they come from a position of feeling threatened or of lesser standing. The remarks are made out of impulse from feeling emotionally triggered or an attempt to level the standing between two people.

Like when animals feel threatened they growl, bark and posture. It's the emotionally centered ones like a lion that are the most dangerous lol. They do not posture. When they get triggered, it's not on impulse, watch out!
#82 May 19 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
You could tell by uematsu's comments that he wasnt given that much time to do it in, and he didnt getvto play the zones like he usually does before composing the theme. He had writer's block then quickly finished it as the deadline was near. They gave him pictures of the terrain to get the feeling.

Given the generic copypasta terrain back then....he sortof hit the nail on the head with the corresponding music.

But yeah the music was phoned in. I did like the rock guitar battle music though XD
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#83 May 19 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
From what we've heard so far, I think Soken is doing an amazing job with the soundtrack. I'm really hoping Naoshi Mizuta can get a few tracks in for release. His approach to the OST in FFXI was brilliant--the songs never got old. Except...Whitegate's music. The only part of that song I enjoyed was those few moments of silence, to be honest. I tried to hang around in Nashmau as much as possible to avoid it.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#84 May 19 2013 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
Atkascha wrote:
From what we've heard so far, I think Soken is doing an amazing job with the soundtrack. I'm really hoping Naoshi Mizuta can get a few tracks in for release. His approach to the OST in FFXI was brilliant--the songs never got old. Except...Whitegate's music. The only part of that song I enjoyed was those few moments of silence, to be honest. I tried to hang around in Nashmau as much as possible to avoid it.


I LOVED the FFXI music. I can still hum ronfaure's theme...and I havent played in years
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#85 May 19 2013 at 4:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Definitely agree with you on that. Bastok was my home, so Gustaberg will always have a special place for me. I used to go chill out in Xarcabard for the music when I just wanted to get away from everything. I think Soken's tracks have that "reborn" feeling that won't get old.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#86Ostia, Posted: May 19 2013 at 4:53 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol
#87 May 19 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
And here I thought we had changed the subject to something relevant...I give up.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#88 May 19 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Sigh.

They really need to release some serious info so this grade school bickering can end.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#89 May 19 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Agreed. I believe the devs mentioned we're due for more information tomorrow, the 20th. I'm hoping we hear something.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#90 May 19 2013 at 4:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,444 posts
I basically have no choice here..

____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#91 May 19 2013 at 5:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
I basically have no choice here..



That about sums it up.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#92 May 19 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
There actually will be a release tomorrow of information.
____________________________
MUTED
#93 May 19 2013 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
Ostia wrote:
You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol

GG Noob!


*relaxed sigh* Another breathtaking example of Ostia's stellar, example - based argument style. Please sir, do elaborate.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#94 May 19 2013 at 6:03 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Ostia wrote:
There actually will be a release tomorrow of information.



I eagerly anticipate how you will somehow use said info to start an argument and then flame all who try to apply logic to it.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#95 May 19 2013 at 7:17 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
There actually will be a release tomorrow of information.



I eagerly anticipate how you will somehow use said info to start an argument and then flame all who try to apply logic to it.


You should not worry then, never have we ever worried about logic and you being in the same thread.
____________________________
MUTED
#96 May 19 2013 at 10:30 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
Ostia wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
There actually will be a release tomorrow of information.



I eagerly anticipate how you will somehow use said info to start an argument and then flame all who try to apply logic to it.


You should not worry then, never have we ever worried about logic and you being in the same thread.


That was hilarious from like a "I just zinged you" point of view, I'll concede that fact. But who said I am the one applying the logic? Besides, I find my illogical way of thinking entertaining.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#97 May 20 2013 at 8:38 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Ostia wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.


You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol

GG Noob!



It is comical dat da only shot a forum post dun gota makin to more den 100 post is if it bust out inta a ***** arguement.

Edited, May 20th 2013 10:58am by je355804

Edited, May 20th 2013 10:58am by je355804
#98 May 20 2013 at 8:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
je355804 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.


You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol

GG Noob!



It is comical that the only chance a forum post has of making it to 100+ posts around here is if the conversation breaks down into a tit-for-tat argument.


God **** you for not making any grammar or spelling errors. Doing so would have allowed me to make a comical retort in which I called you a noob and corrected it like spell checker.

Edited, May 20th 2013 10:52am by Louiscool
____________________________


#99 May 20 2013 at 8:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Louiscool wrote:
je355804 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.


You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol

GG Noob!



It is comical that the only chance a forum post has of making it to 100+ posts around here is if the conversation breaks down into a tit-for-tat argument.


God **** you for not making any grammar or spelling errors. Doing so would have allowed me to make a comical retort in which I called you a noob and corrected it like spell checker.

Edited, May 20th 2013 10:52am by Louiscool



Perhaps you should read my post again Smiley: dubious
#100 May 20 2013 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
je355804 wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
je355804 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Also noob is not offensive, if you find the word noob to be offensive, you should have no hand in gaming at all, specially online.... As for the word idiot, idiot on itself is not offensive, if somebody is being an idiot, you should be able to call them an idiot. Now if you where just talking about something and i come out of nowhere and call you an idiot because of giggles, then sir you have every right to be offended etc etc.


I think you need to reevaluate what the word offensive means, because whatever definition you think it means is not the actual one. Just because you don't think something is offensive doesn't mean others don't think it's offensive.


Offensive is subjective, you can be offensive by using names, as much as you can be offensive using no names, but the word "Noob" is not offensive, on any dictionary. You are just soft.


Bolded the only part of your argument that makes any sense. Unfortunately, you obviously don't understand the very vocabulary you have chosen to use. As stated, offense is perceived in the mind of the receiver. If an African-american calls another African-american the N-word (not noob), more times than not it is not considered offensive becuase they don't feel offended. If I, a white man, were to use the N-word in front of an African-american it would be considered highly offensive because the other person perceives it as offensive.


You just made my argument for me Smiley: lol Good thing i am the only one that does not understands the vocabulary around here..... Oh Wait! Smiley: lol

GG Noob!



It is comical that the only chance a forum post has of making it to 100+ posts around here is if the conversation breaks down into a tit-for-tat argument.


God **** you for not making any grammar or spelling errors. Doing so would have allowed me to make a comical retort in which I called you a noob and corrected it like spell checker.

Edited, May 20th 2013 10:52am by Louiscool



Perhaps you should read my post again Smiley: dubious


When you see it?

Quote:
It is comical dat da only shot a forum post dun gota makin to more den 100 post is if it bust out inta a ***** arguement.


Smiley: lol

Edited, May 20th 2013 11:15am by Louiscool
____________________________


#101 May 20 2013 at 9:27 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
Ostia wrote:
There actually will be a release tomorrow of information.



I eagerly anticipate how you will somehow use said info to start an argument and then flame all who try to apply logic to it.


You should not worry then, never have we ever worried about logic and you being in the same thread.


That was hilarious from like a "I just zinged you" point of view, I'll concede that fact. But who said I am the one applying the logic? Besides, I find my illogical way of thinking entertaining.


Hey if it makes you happy, who am i to judge ?
____________________________
MUTED
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CST
xizro, Anonymous Guests (72)