Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Answer my quetion if you can about F2PFollow

#1 May 17 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Ok, yesterday i downloaded Tera Rising since i saw it went F2P after it failed and because they told me their F2P system wasn't that bad. I downloaded and started playing. Well before i start saying anything i must say this is the BIGGEST WoW clone game i have seen in ages. So anyway i just made a panda sorcerer for the laughs (wow anyone?) and joined the game. I am lvl 12 at the moment and while the game is ok i guess for a clone there is one thing that annoyed me as ****, the chat.

The size of immaturity i have seen in there is really surprising. All the time people chat in global chat and 2 out of 3 times you will read comments of the kind "want to sell a bag of d**s" or "want to sell your mum" or "you are a f**g" etc i don't want to go into more you get what i am saying.

So ultimately my question is this. Is the game full of 12 year olds that think they are da boss cause it just happened or because it went F2P? The last payed MMO i played till a week ago for 2-3 years was eve online and we didn't have this kind of convos and if i were to guess why i would say probably cause it was payed and because its for more mature players since its hard.So i really want your thoughts into this.

Seriously if this is what people want from ARR i would rather shoot my leg than play it. The community in Tera is so bad that it makes me NOT wonna play the game. I wanted to stop discussing the F2P vs P2P thing but after this experience i will say again and again that i rather ARR fail than go F2P and have the kind of community Tera Rising has.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#2 May 17 2013 at 9:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
456 posts
Your on the same page of the book as most of the rest of us... F2P is a mess community wise and with kids thinking they run **** always has been and won't ever change... Thus the reason ARR wont be F2P as Yoshi has clearly stated...
____________________________
Moderator-75thf 75nin 75pld Hume
LS- WanderingTrupaTricks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Diabolos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mori Oni- 50MNK 20LNC 11GLD Miquote
LS- The Inner Circle
FC- Primal Bane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ultros~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#3 May 17 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Think about the age of people who don't have $10 to spare for a video game each month, and thus are concentrated in F2P land.

There's your answer.

XI has a very wide range of ages. The bulk of us started in high school or college, but many of my friends are in the 30-60 age range now.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#4 May 17 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.

Are you aware of the community in League of Legends?

This video sums it up:
____________________________


#5 May 17 2013 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Louiscool wrote:
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.


New players can go to the Legacy servers.

You're going to have the "He said he'd craft then stole my stuff" and the people who fake dc kind of situations in every game. Unfortunately, there are some people who turn into complete jerks and gain the "Keyboard Bravery +1" when they log in.

I played DCUO from launch until about 1 month after it went F2P. The community in that game was already what I consider "sub-par" simply because of the type of game it was. There was no such thing as an "intelligent conversation" on that game. It's very PvP oriented, ganking is common, and that type of game automatically draws the CoD / trash talking douche bags. There were decent people in the game too and I lucked out in being able to join a group of cool guys. However, after it went F2P, it got significantly worse. The reason I quit the game was because every time I logged in there were 20 people in world chat just talking trash. You couldn't get a raid done without 3 people leaving because "OMG wtf you guys are trash can't even healz properly f*ckin noobs I hope you all die" because some idiot pulled the whole room. If the game goes F2P at some point, I will see what happens with the community, but I'd rather not log-in during my free time and feel like I need to play babysitter.

Edited, May 17th 2013 12:25pm by IKickYoDog
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#6 May 17 2013 at 10:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Louiscool wrote:
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.

Are you aware of the community in League of Legends?

This video sums it up:


I must admit i loled with the video. I had a similar experience when i first tried the game cause of some friends. I had photoshop on cause i was working and forgot to close it so it lagged the game so bad that took ages to load. One of the guys there said something similar to one of the quotes in the video that said "you play on a toaster". The outcome was that we forced him to quit cause of multiple kills but yea he was rude! Smiley: lol
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#7 May 17 2013 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Louiscool wrote:
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.



That type of drama is usual, like you mentioned. I'm curious why you're bringing up legacy status. Just trying to understand how it fits in with the OP. I don't remember seeing legacy wars going in shouts to the extent the OP referenced in the other Free to Play games.
#8 May 17 2013 at 10:38 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Teravibe wrote:


I must admit i loled with the video. I had a similar experience when i first tried the game cause of some friends. I had photoshop on cause i was working and forgot to close it so it lagged the game so bad that took ages to load. One of the guys there said something similar to one of the quotes in the video that said "you play on a toaster". The outcome was that we forced him to quit cause of multiple kills but yea he was rude! Smiley: lol


For some reason, I'm quite hopeful that the new players will be welcomed. If anything, it's because many hardcore shells don't have enough to run 24 man raids lol. Most of the 1.0 community was segregated by how dedicated they were. You'd have 30 people in an ls but only 10 of them played seriously, while the rest just came to chat and socialize and get log off. At most they'd get help with primals, story and AF etc.

That aside, there is going to be A LOT of LS jumping lol. I'm going to be prepared for it.

#9 May 17 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
GDLYL wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.



That type of drama is usual, like you mentioned. I'm curious why you're bringing up legacy status. Just trying to understand how it fits in with the OP. I don't remember seeing legacy wars going in shouts to the extent the OP referenced in the other Free to Play games.


I only bring up legacy status because I find quite a few of them to have terrible attitudes... Just look at the lodestone. The vocal minority is VERY vocal and annoying.

Most of my encounters were great! But I usually went out of my way to help new players, but every new player I talked to told me how seclusive the community was. Not mean, just not very accepting and didn't really try to help them.

Again, this one is attributed to the fact that legacy players have seen SO MANY new players come and go. Legacy players are like scorned lovers. We really REALLY want you to stay, but we just don't trust you not to hurt us again.

Quote:
For some reason, I'm quite hopeful that the new players will be welcomed. If anything, it's because many hardcore shells don't have enough to run 24 man raids lol. Most of the 1.0 community was segregated by how dedicated they were. You'd have 30 people in an ls but only 10 of them played seriously, while the rest just came to chat and socialize and get log off. At most they'd get help with primals, story and AF etc.

That aside, there is going to be A LOT of LS jumping lol. I'm going to be prepared for it.


We had a similar situation on Masamune. We had at least 1 big LS that only had maybe 15 people actually geared up and ready for engame, 50 people who barely played. Though, once A Relic Reborn was announced, someone from that LS started the games largest and most active Hamlet LS, which was awesome to be in because it was finally, for once, an active ls (and capped at 100 players, had almost every one of the servers best players).

Edited, May 17th 2013 12:46pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#10 May 17 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Mm i guess, i never liked ls/guild/corp jumping cause i play with people i like so i tent to stick with them for a long time. In games that they keep track of your previous ls/guilds/corps it grew as a problem if someone was jumping a lot cause the new ls would get suspicious and ask you why you keep jumping.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#11 May 17 2013 at 11:03 AM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Louiscool wrote:
In 1.0, you definitely had your share of immaturity. But it generally stemmed the usual drama; this guy said he would double meld my gear but then stole it so im shouting in uldah for the next week about it, omg we wiped im going to fake dc, etc.

It wasn't anything out of the ordinary though, and while there was a super sense of elitism regarding casuals, I attribute that to the entitlement people felt by "sticking with the game," which is one reason I wish I could start on a non-legacy server, and new players come legacy servers.

Are you aware of the community in League of Legends?

This video sums it up:


Bolded the important part. Game, set, and match for why F2P communities are by in large garbage.

I don't think the main benefit of a P2P system is about keeping out the children entirely, but rather an example of commitment. Aside from having no filter to entry, F2P communities are transient, making it difficult to really establish a sense of community/ongoing commitment. People who are willing to fork over $X a month for a game are most likely not trial/fly-by-night players; they are willing to make an investment in a game beyond their time. There is this sort of underlying understanding that as a committed member of a community there is a need to ensure that the environment stays as friendly as possible.. To be honest, it's kind of difficult to dissect, but I don't think what I'm saying really comes as a shock to anyone.

Beyond the community implications, my biggest problem with F2P/B2P is that there is content that I can't gain access to without spending additional money. I'm not only talking about stat boosting items here, but also aesthetic pieces... I just want to pay my fee and be able to access all of the content, by (and this probably sounds old fashioned), actually playing the game rather than instant gratification. I've spent a lot of money on skins in League of Legends, and yet for as cool as some of them may be they'll never make me feel more proud than most of the hard to earn drops I got in XI.... nothing to make you feel good about your accomplishments like having people stop and stare at your relic weapon, chocobo mask, or other cool item and send you a complimentary tell.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#12 May 17 2013 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Quote:
nothing to make you feel good about your accomplishments like having people stop and stare at your relic weapon, chocobo mask, or other cool item and send you a complimentary tell.


I just couldn't stick it out and get the Chocobo Mask... tell me you have one.. they're rarer than relics!
____________________________


#13 May 17 2013 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Quote:
nothing to make you feel good about your accomplishments like having people stop and stare at your relic weapon, chocobo mask, or other cool item and send you a complimentary tell.


I just couldn't stick it out and get the Chocobo Mask... tell me you have one.. they're rarer than relics!


Lol, naw, I was about 10% to completion... haha...
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#14 May 17 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Ok, yesterday i downloaded Tera Rising since i saw it went F2P after it failed and because they told me their F2P system wasn't that bad. I downloaded and started playing. Well before i start saying anything i must say this is the BIGGEST WoW clone game i have seen in ages. So anyway i just made a panda sorcerer for the laughs (wow anyone?) and joined the game. I am lvl 12 at the moment and while the game is ok i guess for a clone there is one thing that annoyed me as ****, the chat.


Popori pandas were available in TERA before there were pandas in WoW. Perhaps Blizz is making WoW a TERA clone? Doubtful.

The game has it's share of '12 year olds' just like any game. If you don't like what you read in chat, you can disable it. Real talk, I had an issue in XI where a player who was upset that I beat him to claim a mob went nuts on me and spammed my chat with insult and profanity. The GM I contacted gave me the same advice I just gave you. Use your blacklist/ignorelist and turn your "I'm not 12, but I don't want to hear their thoughts" parental settings on Smiley: glare

I purchased and played TERA through the subscription fee era and those people still existed, at least; I suspect they did but I wouldn't have known because I had general chat disabled. Just my opinion, but player behavior isn't related to subscription fees. A game being F2P doesn't inspire immaturity.

tl;dr

Thin skinned people on the internet? The irony of your forum name and it's association with this post Smiley: sly
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#15 May 17 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months
____________________________


#16 May 17 2013 at 2:35 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,134 posts
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Active players:
XI - ~ quarter of a million
XIV - ~ 15 to 20k
LoL - ~ 30 million

Based on your results both XI and XIV have a higher concentration of douchebags (by volume). Seems legit Smiley: grin



____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#17 May 17 2013 at 2:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Active players:
XI - ~ quarter of a million
XIV - ~ 15 to 20k
LoL - ~ 30 million

Based on your results both XI and XIV have a higher concentration of douchebags (by volume). Seems legit Smiley: grin



In what way? You're just being a contrarian, I know. Also.. 30 million is their monthly, not daily, on all servers (5 servers?) Smiley: grin

Edited, May 17th 2013 4:42pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#18 May 17 2013 at 2:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Ok, yesterday i downloaded Tera Rising since i saw it went F2P after it failed and because they told me their F2P system wasn't that bad. I downloaded and started playing. Well before i start saying anything i must say this is the BIGGEST WoW clone game i have seen in ages. So anyway i just made a panda sorcerer for the laughs (wow anyone?) and joined the game. I am lvl 12 at the moment and while the game is ok i guess for a clone there is one thing that annoyed me as ****, the chat.


Popori pandas were available in TERA before there were pandas in WoW. Perhaps Blizz is making WoW a TERA clone? Doubtful.


That i did not know and i guess i was wrong but that doesn't mean anything the game is definitely a wow clone from transportation to you name it. I am not saying it doesn't have unique things but seriously, look at their map its so close to wow's map. I am not saying its the same but after playing wow for 2 years the first thing i thought when i saw teras map was "hey that looks almost the same with WoW's" and from what i read in the net many do believe that as well.

FilthMcNasty wrote:

The game has it's share of '12 year olds' just like any game. If you don't like what you read in chat, you can disable it. Real talk, I had an issue in XI where a player who was upset that I beat him to claim a mob went nuts on me and spammed my chat with insult and profanity. The GM I contacted gave me the same advice I just gave you. Use your blacklist/ignorelist and turn your "I'm not 12, but I don't want to hear their thoughts" parental settings on Smiley: glare

I purchased and played TERA through the subscription fee era and those people still existed, at least; I suspect they did but I wouldn't have known because I had general chat disabled. Just my opinion, but player behavior isn't related to subscription fees. A game being F2P doesn't inspire immaturity.


I played for 3 years Eve online and yet i have not seen the amount of smack talking and insults i have seen in Tera for the past 2 days and that means something.Also probably because the player base was normally above 20 years old. I have also played WoW and well we all know that everyone used to play that game. I can not say for certain since it has been years since i stopped playing but i am pretty sure that again it didn't have that kind of talk. Not to mention that if you reported someone to a GM for calling you a d** as i seen in Tera he wont tell you to ignore him but would give a warning to the offender and the second or third time he would have been banned or something similar. But again can't be certain for wow it has been so many years ago.

I can say though that i have played a few more F2P games that had the same kind of community. I am not saying that all of them did but what i can say is from the 3-4 games that i played and were P2P i never seen so much immaturity. That gave me the opinion as you could figure out from my post that subscription DOES in fact mean that to some degree "12 year olds that think they are da boss" wont be playing the game. Of course that is a personal opinion from my own experience and others may and will disagree.

FilthMcNasty wrote:

tl;dr

Thin skinned people on the internet? The irony of your forum name and it's association with this post Smiley: sly


Is that meant for me? Because i do not quite follow what you are saying. I mean my forum name "Teravibe" actually means nothing. It was a name given to a series of rock festivals in my country. My usual name in internet is Teras (means monster in my language) but it was taken in zam forums.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#19 May 17 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
And i should also mention again that i am not trying to say something bad about the game itself. The game is quite fan to play cause it has a lot of similarities to wow that i liked and its a good thing for me. My problem is the F2P model that i believe is at fault with their community.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#20 May 17 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,134 posts
Louiscool wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Active players:
XI - ~ quarter of a million
XIV - ~ 15 to 20k
LoL - ~ 30 million

Based on your results both XI and XIV have a higher concentration of douchebags (by volume). Seems legit Smiley: grin



In what way? You're just being a contrarian, I know. Also.. 30 million is their monthly, not daily, on all servers (5 servers?) Smiley: grin


The figures for XI and XIV were not daily either and SE runs cross region servers because it's (read: they are) cheap. Just sayin, you'd think there were more douchebags(total) in a room of 100 people vs a room with 10 people even if only 1 in 10 people from both rooms were douchebags. Trace amounts of fecal matter in a gallon of water doesn't seem quite as bad as a few logs floating around in your pool Smiley: tongue

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 May 17 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Filth you are making your grand re-entry to these forums spectacularly. You have a lot of douching to catch up with, I know, but try to space it out over the course of the weekend, not all in this hour.
____________________________


#22 May 17 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
TERA has been pretty consistently thrown out there as one of the worst MMO communities since well before the F2P move. Just saying.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#23 May 17 2013 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Kachi wrote:
TERA has been pretty consistently thrown out there as one of the worst MMO communities since well before the F2P move. Just saying.


Really? Well that could explain a lot, haven't seen that particular information before....TO THE INTERNOMOBILE!!
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#24 May 17 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Filth you are making your grand re-entry to these forums spectacularly. You have a lot of douching to catch up with, I know, but try to space it out over the course of the weekend, not all in this hour.

Awww, shucks. I missed you too Lou!
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#25 May 17 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Douchebaggery exists in game and real life. The more people playing or you are around. The more likely you will see asshats. The payment model doesn't affect this.

Fear of loss or the pain motivator is what keeps people in check. Any game be it P2P or FTP will always have douches. Unless the internet police cut them off from playing. Douchebag is more prevalent on the internet due to no social tension. You can state or spout anything you want to people over the internet and 9 times out of ten you receive no consequence. In real life is another story. You do or say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time. And you might get your **** kicked, sued, or killed.

Look no further than Youtube comments for proof of what happens when there is anonymity and no pain motivator to keep our sorry asses in check.
#26 May 17 2013 at 3:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Yep i agree on what you say sandpark. My suggestion that subscription affects it, is because from experience i have seen that the younger the player the more of a douchebag he will be and since he is a kid that means his/her money are limited thus they normally stay in the range of F2P games. Now by that i do not mean there aren't a*** from the age of 18 and above, god no but i tent to believe they are more civil than a 12 year old boy that just discovered he can say anything he wants in the internet without his parent ever know thus no fear of punishment.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#27 May 17 2013 at 3:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Yep i agree on what you say sandpark. My suggestion that subscription affects it, is because from experience i have seen that the younger the player the more of a douchebag he will be and since he is a kid that means his/her money are limited thus they normally stay in the range of F2P games. Now by that i do not mean there aren't a*** from the age of 18 and above, god no but i tent to believe they are more civil than a 12 year old boy that just discovered he can say anything he wants in the internet without his parent ever know thus no fear of punishment.

I can see what you mean about youth. A youth has less perception of what real consequence is in most cases. Kidnappings, date rape, molestation, peer pressure, inexperienced handling of emotions, etc, etc.
#28 May 17 2013 at 4:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
It isn't always only the youth that never grows up either though.
http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/9/30/grown-man-tracks-down-kid-and-strangles-him-over-call-of-dut.html
#29 May 17 2013 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
**** that is pretty nasty. And yea as i said being over 18 doesn't make you a better guy just like that. An adult can and in most cases will be worse than a kid.You can sometimes guess when the one that is insulting you is a kid or an older person. Douchebags come in all ages i am afraid.


Edited, May 17th 2013 6:07pm by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#30 May 17 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
LoL true strike! I guess that man got his revenge but for what gain? He showed one young boy out of millions that you can't get away from being"A child". At the cost of disgracing himself and his family and will probably have trouble finding a good job if he does plan to work.
#31 May 17 2013 at 4:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Well, that escalated quickly.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#32 May 17 2013 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
237 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Ok, yesterday i downloaded Tera Rising since i saw it went F2P after it failed and because they told me their F2P system wasn't that bad. I downloaded and started playing. Well before i start saying anything i must say this is the BIGGEST WoW clone game i have seen in ages. So anyway i just made a panda sorcerer for the laughs (wow anyone?) and joined the game. I am lvl 12 at the moment and while the game is ok i guess for a clone there is one thing that annoyed me as ****, the chat.

The size of immaturity i have seen in there is really surprising. All the time people chat in global chat and 2 out of 3 times you will read comments of the kind "want to sell a bag of d**s" or "want to sell your mum" or "you are a f**g" etc i don't want to go into more you get what i am saying.

So ultimately my question is this. Is the game full of 12 year olds that think they are da boss cause it just happened or because it went F2P? The last payed MMO i played till a week ago for 2-3 years was eve online and we didn't have this kind of convos and if i were to guess why i would say probably cause it was payed and because its for more mature players since its hard.So i really want your thoughts into this.

Seriously if this is what people want from ARR i would rather shoot my leg than play it. The community in Tera is so bad that it makes me NOT wonna play the game. I wanted to stop discussing the F2P vs P2P thing but after this experience i will say again and again that i rather ARR fail than go F2P and have the kind of community Tera Rising has.


I'm sure I will get karma bombed for this, but this thread seems very very biased and propaganda based. Though I can only offer in-site during the time I played when it was P2P. Tera a WoW clone? it's combat mechanic is way different. Actively targeting to hit a mobs weak area, and dodging out of the way. That was the one thing I liked about the game, was always moving around trying to get the edge on, flanking mobs and bosses was fun. Yes there were similar qualities to WoW, heck even SE is incorporating some of these ideas into ARR, why re-invent the wheel right! Secondly tera was released before WoWs expansions mists of pandaria. So if anything WoW copied Tera in regards to pandas. I can't comment on the community post F2P, but I can tell you the community was not worse than any other MMO I've played with a general/world chat. WoWs Barren chat, Rifts general chat, GW2 general chat, Teras General chat... all of them are flooded with such immature and Vulgur comments. That's why I usually filter general off as soon as I start a new MMO. I do agree with your thinking of Eve online. Due to it's steep learning curve, and the fact you can loose everything if you die; it most likely turns away most casual players.


Edited, May 17th 2013 6:42pm by crazyorc
#33 May 17 2013 at 4:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
sandpark wrote:
Douchebaggery exists in game and real life. The more people playing or you are around. The more likely you will see asshats. The payment model doesn't affect this.

Fear of loss or the pain motivator is what keeps people in check. Any game be it P2P or FTP will always have douches. Unless the internet police cut them off from playing. Douchebag is more prevalent on the internet due to no social tension.


Yes. And when you have to buy a new copy of the game after you get banned, you might rethink being a total douche, right?

Free to Play breeds idiots because there is no penalty. Sure, you lose our progress, but you aren't really committed to this game anyway right? You can just make a new account. If my FFXI account got perma-banned, I lost not only time, but the cost of those subscription months, plus the cost of the game.

Edited, May 17th 2013 6:54pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#34 May 17 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Well i loled with the propaganda part. Would you feel better if i remove my personal thoughts for the game? And i am serious here i will. I never intended to say anything about the game. If you took the time to read my other posts you would see that i actually like the game.The fighting system is in fact different than wow and i am well aware that it has also been awarded. But again as you will read other posts in this very thread you would see that i said that the game has unique elements. The reason why i didn't mentioned them? Because the thread has NOTHING TO DO with Tera as a game. My argument was for the community that in my belief is bad due to the game being F2P.

I still stand with my comment that it is a WoW clone for various reasons but again you are missing the point of the whole thread.

edti: Also enough with the **** panda, as i was already corrected and responded that i didn't know and i was wrong. And one last thing now that i think about it, since when stating my own personal thoughts on a game from my own experience is propaganda?Did i lie? The game has several wow elements which makes it a clone.How big of a clone that is up for discussion i agree. Nevertheless i will remove my thoughts if you felt so offended and manipulated.

Edited, May 17th 2013 7:02pm by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#35 May 17 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
237 posts
Well how I viewed this thread was as a well released bout of white knight propaganda, considering the recent threads debating P2P vs F2P. Seemed to me like a well released bout of bashing another games community. I do admit I skimmed some of your other comments, and missed some pertinent information for that I apologize. As for your other posts in other threads I can not comment, as I do not remember any of the top of my head, nor do I have will power to riffle through threads and read them.

Maybe I just have a bitter taste in my mouth from the first release of this game, I was a die hard supporter and thought to myself it will get better, this can't be what they are releasing. As such (because I was one at one point) I loath white knighting now. I feel they do nothing but put rose tinted glasses on (and duct tape them on other people). But I feel an apology is due, and so I am sorry for missing the point of your posts and thread. BTW Teras pandas 10x times better than WoWs
#36 May 17 2013 at 6:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
In a Free to play game, you can just keep making characters- well, for free. Pay to play has more of a permanent loss. So it does matter on some level. I've never been banned, so I don't know if they keep your information on record to prevent you from registering again.
#37 May 17 2013 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
121 posts
The community in TERA was the way it was when the game even first began. General chat was filled with immature people from day one.
____________________________


#38 May 17 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Teravibe wrote:
The game has several wow elements which makes it a clone. How big of a clone that is up for discussion i agree.


/puts on best Spanish accent... You keep saying this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote:
Maybe I just have a bitter taste in my mouth from the first release of this game, I was a die hard supporter and thought to myself it will get better, this can't be what they are releasing. As such (because I was one at one point) I loath white knighting now. I feel they do nothing but put rose tinted glasses on (and duct tape them on other people). But I feel an apology is due, and so I am sorry for missing the point of your posts and thread. BTW Teras pandas 10x times better than WoWs


It's funny, because I felt exactly the same way that you did when 1.0 released, and I was really ****** when the game didn't improve immediately. I think, however, that you are mistaking white-knighting for general excitement and anticipation. As far as the P2P vs. F2P argument, I and many others have stated it in this thread why we don't like F2P. I like to earn my gear, even just the aesthetic stuff. I don't want to buy it in a cash shop. I also want players that I know will be playing for a long time, not players that will jump ship the second they smell another mmo. Lastly, I don't want to have to pay to get ahead. Cash shops encourage buying XP boosts and other such boosts that I'd rather not even have in game, or if they are there, make them an actual part of the content... like they were in FFXI. So there ya go, I think those are very understandable reasons why I want P2P and not F2P. Based on reading the thread, I know I'm not the only one.

Edited, May 17th 2013 8:44pm by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#39 May 17 2013 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Catwho wrote:
Think about the age of people who don't have $10 to spare for a video game each month, and thus are concentrated in F2P land.

There's your answer.

XI has a very wide range of ages. The bulk of us started in high school or college, but many of my friends are in the 30-60 age range now.


Bingo.
#40 May 17 2013 at 7:43 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Lets play Legue! I will be Nice.... Muahahaha
#41 May 17 2013 at 9:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Lets play Legue! I will be Nice.... Muahahaha


Haha, and if you don't I can always make it 51.
____________________________


#42 May 17 2013 at 9:58 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I have MAYBE 10 people on my /blist in XI, 7 in XIV, at least 50 in League of Legends.

Time played:
XI - 300 days (I checked the other day)
XIV - 1.5 years-ish
LOL - 5 months


Lets play Legue! I will be Nice.... Muahahaha


Haha, and if you don't I can always make it 51.


Smiley: lol You know i have nobody on my ignore list on Legue Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#43 May 17 2013 at 10:26 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm getting annoyed by the accusation of white knighting in this thread. We're allowed to praise SE and Yoshi P for what they've done to ARR, especially those of us who have been in the alpha or beta and seen first hand the improvements.

I'm not allowed to discuss the crap that I've seen first hand they still need to improve because of the NDA still in place for that content. Trust me, I've given them an earful in the appropriate places. (One of those posts was like a page long rant about - aw, dammit. See, I can't even say that! Smiley: bah)

We're allowed to compare and contrast the communities of games we've been in. I've stuck with XI for nearly a decade now because the community is fairly mature, calm, thoughtful, and reasonable. I've avoided the majority of other games because my brief experiences with their communities was more or less the opposite.

Edited, May 18th 2013 12:28am by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#44 May 17 2013 at 10:46 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
Catwho wrote:
I've stuck with XI for nearly a decade now because the community is fairly mature, calm, thoughtful, and reasonable. I've avoided the majority of other games because my brief experiences with their communities was more or less the opposite.


While I respect your opinion, I tend to notice that most people who have played XI share it.

I, personally, have never noticed that big of a difference in the communities once you get set in the game. FFXI is comparatively smaller than other games, so the fact that there are more people, just might mean there's exponentially more idiots.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#45 May 17 2013 at 10:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
crazyorc wrote:
Well how I viewed this thread was as a well released bout of white knight propaganda, considering the recent threads debating P2P vs F2P. Seemed to me like a well released bout of bashing another games community. I do admit I skimmed some of your other comments, and missed some pertinent information for that I apologize. As for your other posts in other threads I can not comment, as I do not remember any of the top of my head, nor do I have will power to riffle through threads and read them.

Maybe I just have a bitter taste in my mouth from the first release of this game, I was a die hard supporter and thought to myself it will get better, this can't be what they are releasing. As such (because I was one at one point) I loath white knighting now. I feel they do nothing but put rose tinted glasses on (and duct tape them on other people). But I feel an apology is due, and so I am sorry for missing the point of your posts and thread. BTW Teras pandas 10x times better than WoWs


This topic is not new, it's been beaten to death over and over. Well released indeed Smiley: tongue
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#46 May 17 2013 at 10:57 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Just like everybody is allowed to critique the game.... Oh wait....
____________________________
MUTED
#47 May 17 2013 at 11:01 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Teravibe wrote:
Ok, yesterday i downloaded Tera Rising since i saw it went F2P after it failed and because they told me their F2P system wasn't that bad. I downloaded and started playing. Well before i start saying anything i must say this is the BIGGEST WoW clone game i have seen in ages. So anyway i just made a panda sorcerer for the laughs (wow anyone?) and joined the game. I am lvl 12 at the moment and while the game is ok i guess for a clone there is one thing that annoyed me as ****, the chat.


Popori pandas were available in TERA before there were pandas in WoW. Perhaps Blizz is making WoW a TERA clone? Doubtful.

The game has it's share of '12 year olds' just like any game. If you don't like what you read in chat, you can disable it. Real talk, I had an issue in XI where a player who was upset that I beat him to claim a mob went nuts on me and spammed my chat with insult and profanity. The GM I contacted gave me the same advice I just gave you. Use your blacklist/ignorelist and turn your "I'm not 12, but I don't want to hear their thoughts" parental settings on Smiley: glare

I purchased and played TERA through the subscription fee era and those people still existed, at least; I suspect they did but I wouldn't have known because I had general chat disabled. Just my opinion, but player behavior isn't related to subscription fees. A game being F2P doesn't inspire immaturity.

tl;dr

Thin skinned people on the internet? The irony of your forum name and it's association with this post Smiley: sly


Pandas have been part of wow lore since WC3... As for the topic, i believe all communities are the same, there are some trolls, some idiots, some mature people, to dismiss an entire community based on a world chat is kinda silly anyways, i have seen people joke around in shout in FFXIV, but that does not mean the entire community where idiots or immature etc etc.
____________________________
MUTED
#48 May 17 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Just like everybody is allowed to critique the game.... Oh wait....


You're allowed to critique the game, you're not allowed to be an ******* to everyone else. If you like I can just ban you outright. I'm sure the cheers would be deafening. Personally I'd like to give you another chance.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#49 May 18 2013 at 12:39 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
I had 0 people on my black list for FFXI and FFXIV. Any other MMO I played, I really didn't communicate with people much, so I didn't block anyone as well. It's just me, but I consider that list to be very serious. For some reason, I have yet to come across a person that I just wish to never hear.

I remember my brief incarceration in FFXI. I solicited the help of many people in Jeuno to spam /random via shout. They actually complied, and we were promptly ported. It was... an experience. That my first, and last attempt at trolling. Ahhh youth Smiley: laugh
#50 May 18 2013 at 12:42 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Just like everybody is allowed to critique the game.... Oh wait....


You're allowed to critique the game, you're not allowed to be an @#%^ to everyone else. If you like I can just ban you outright. I'm sure the cheers would be deafening. Personally I'd like to give you another chance.


Define being an ******* to everybody else... You yourself stated that
Quote:
It's a good point, and so I think I'll just expand on this and encourage civility as much as possible (for an internet forum) from everyone. This includes conversations with Killua, Ostia, and those others who may not agree with the current forum majority. Mrmoderator you need to chill out too.

I like our forums, I think we have more intelligent conversations than some others, and I like not having to step on necks if I can help it


Yet we all know we treat killua like utter poo.... The times he has been called an idiot far outnumber the ones i have called somebody an idiot.... Smiley: lol

Oh and also those deafening cheers last time you mute me, where disappointing like the flood, i am still not sure which one was more lackluster.
____________________________
MUTED
#51 May 18 2013 at 12:57 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,134 posts
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Just like everybody is allowed to critique the game.... Oh wait....


You're allowed to critique the game, you're not allowed to be an @#%^ to everyone else. If you like I can just ban you outright. I'm sure the cheers would be deafening. Personally I'd like to give you another chance.


Define being an @#%^ to everybody else... You yourself stated that
Quote:
It's a good point, and so I think I'll just expand on this and encourage civility as much as possible (for an internet forum) from everyone. This includes conversations with Killua, Ostia, and those others who may not agree with the current forum majority. Mrmoderator you need to chill out too.

I like our forums, I think we have more intelligent conversations than some others, and I like not having to step on necks if I can help it


Yet we all know we treat killua like utter poo.... The times he has been called an idiot far outnumber the ones i have called somebody an idiot.... Smiley: lol

Oh and also those deafening cheers last time you mute me, where disappointing like the flood, i am still not sure which one was more lackluster.


This is 'murica Ostia. **** freedom of speech, we will censor your ***.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 124 All times are in CDT
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (123)