Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

FFXIV Still Going Strong?Follow

#1 May 20 2013 at 11:57 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
12 posts
I was part of the initial CE batch of FFXVI users that quit the game out of frustration. I know. I could have stuck through it, but can you blame me? I had a good amount of experience in FFXI and with the release of the new expansions for both games, Im wondering...

1. Is FFXIV still going? is the population good?
2. Can I actually have a good time in Eorzea?
3. Is FFXI dead?
4. Can I currently play FFXIV or is it being overhauled? What gives?
5. Whats the system like for leveling? Party or solo farming?
#2 May 21 2013 at 12:02 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Is offline, is being rebuilt, it's currently on beta phase 2, transitioning to beta phase 3.

XI is still alive.

You cannot play it right now.

Is wow with FF lore now.
____________________________
MUTED
#3 May 21 2013 at 12:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
As far as i know XI is still going strong.

As for XIV. The servers are shut down and the new XIV ARR is in beta. Right now we are waiting for phase 3 to start and after that we will have the phase 4 open beta where everyone can join.

As for lvling etc i do not know if i am able to talk cause of the NDA.

Personally ill say that i will enjoy playing the game.

This is the new site for final fantasy a realm reborn if you want to learn more information and also sign up for the beta. A Realm Reborn

Edited, May 21st 2013 2:05am by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#4 May 21 2013 at 1:06 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Quote:
I was part of the initial CE batch of FFXVI users that quit the game out of frustration. I know. I could have stuck through it, but can you blame me? I had a good amount of experience in FFXI and with the release of the new expansions for both games, Im wondering...


Okay, you need to get caught up.

First off, "A Realm Reborn" isn't an expansion like "Seekers of Adoulin". It's an entire game re-write. The old team was pretty much shelved/re-appropriated due to FFXIV 1.0's poor reception and the game was entirely rebuilt from the ground up.

You may also see it known as Final Fantasy XIV 2.0 before its official name was "A Realm Reborn"/ARR. Take a look at the following links for more information.

Final Fantasy 2.0 Overview
Beta Roadmap

Now what I'm wondering, how did you buy the CE years ago and not know anything about the overhaul/relaunch? Is the game really not going through that much press? That, or I would at least wonder what happened to my purchase so much time later... but I guess that's what you're doing now.



Edited, May 21st 2013 12:06am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#5 May 21 2013 at 6:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,816 posts
Ekotaoi wrote:
I was part of the initial CE batch of FFXVI users that quit the game out of frustration. I know. I could have stuck through it, but can you blame me? I had a good amount of experience in FFXI and with the release of the new expansions for both games, Im wondering...

1. Is FFXIV still going? is the population good?
2. Can I actually have a good time in Eorzea?
3. Is FFXI dead?
4. Can I currently play FFXIV or is it being overhauled? What gives?
5. Whats the system like for leveling? Party or solo farming?


1. XIV is dead and buried unless you hop one one of the many emulators out there.
2. If you enjoy generic MMORPGs, you'll enjoy FFXIV ARR, most definitely.
3. FFXI is still going strong however the community is making sure it dies off.
4. You can beta test it if you sign up for it, Open beta is soon.
5. Quest based leveling, example:

"Go kill 3 Marmots and 2 Fungars" < Actual quest type.
"Go pick 5 vegetables." < Actual quest type.
"Go wait at x spot for an enemy to spawn." < Actual quest type
"Go talk to x, which will tell you to talk to x" < Actual quest type.

Rinse and repeat and that's the leveling process of XIV ARR. It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs, there's dungeons sprinkled in between your copy/pasted quests. Also yes I can state this since they stated the NDA is partially up for thing regarding Gridania only :D



Edited, May 21st 2013 5:49am by Theonehio
#6 May 21 2013 at 6:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 May 21 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Default
****
5,050 posts
as for "going strong" FFXIV hasnt been going AT ALL since November lol.. Ask that question again in July/August then Ill let you know
#8 May 21 2013 at 8:48 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,050 posts
Wint wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.




soo leveling on a time limit = good? (if I recall in your preview you mentioned the instance dungeons were timed... What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight (i remember having a 24 hour long party in the thickets in FFXI one time lol) cant do that on a 2 hour time limit >.>
#9 May 21 2013 at 8:52 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,172 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight


Therapy. Seek therapy. Smiley: sly
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#10 May 21 2013 at 8:53 AM Rating: Good
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.




soo leveling on a time limit = good? (if I recall in your preview you mentioned the instance dungeons were timed... What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight (i remember having a 24 hour long party in the thickets in FFXI one time lol) cant do that on a 2 hour time limit >.>


I don't recall hearing about a limit on the number of times you could enter a dungeon. What's to stop you from repeating the dungeon over and over? Though it might be repetetive, it can't be any more boring than standing in one spot and facerolling colibri for 12 hours.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#11 May 21 2013 at 8:55 AM Rating: Good
****
6,899 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.




soo leveling on a time limit = good? (if I recall in your preview you mentioned the instance dungeons were timed... What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight (i remember having a 24 hour long party in the thickets in FFXI one time lol) cant do that on a 2 hour time limit >.>


I don't recall hearing about a limit on the number of times you could enter a dungeon. What's to stop you from repeating the dungeon over and over? Though it might be repetetive, it can't be any more boring than standing in one spot and facerolling colibri for 12 hours.


Or, just go out and form an xp party like you would in XI. I can't comment on how effective it will be, but I imagine it will still be possible and probably pretty fun when you find the right camps.
#12 May 21 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,816 posts
Yeah, you don't grind in dungeons, his example was pretty much it's basically how in XI you had a party and you kill things for exp where in dungeons mobs give normal exp rates, whereas in the overworld mobs give you almost nothing for exp even in a party setting.

FATES are generally NM fights, random events and so on that awards exp and gil, so inside of a dungeon you're limited to an hour to complete it so if you treat it as an exp party with the limited spawns, you'll make a nice bit of exp but dungeon exp is a bonus ontop of actually doing the dungeon.

If you like to exp for a long period of time, suffice to say ARR will not have that ability since it's deemed "outdated", though you can spend 12 ours talking to NPCs for leveling I suppose? Guildleves still run on a allowance system so you'd run out of those eventually. Maybe though when P3 hits (since it's NDA lift fully) we'll see what feedback they got from P1 and 2 was set into motion since you know there's enough people who actually liked grinding on open world that made feedback regarding it, since if you're giving people all other options, why did you completely remove another? Even XIV 1.0 had overworld grinding..tons of monster spawns purely for that purpose as well.

IKickYoDog wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.




soo leveling on a time limit = good? (if I recall in your preview you mentioned the instance dungeons were timed... What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight (i remember having a 24 hour long party in the thickets in FFXI one time lol) cant do that on a 2 hour time limit >.>


I don't recall hearing about a limit on the number of times you could enter a dungeon. What's to stop you from repeating the dungeon over and over? Though it might be repetetive, it can't be any more boring than standing in one spot and facerolling colibri for 12 hours.


I don't know if you've played an MMO with dungeons...but they get insanely boring and repetitive even when it's not the same one lol.

Edited, May 21st 2013 7:59am by Theonehio
#13 May 21 2013 at 9:02 AM Rating: Good
****
6,899 posts
Theonehio wrote:
If you like to exp for a long period of time, suffice to say ARR will not have that ability since it's deemed "outdated", though you can spend 12 ours talking to NPCs for leveling I suppose?


I'd be pretty bummed if this is true on release. It might be outdated, but I and many other still find it fun to get a group together and go out for a few hours for an XP party. A good party was always enjoyable. Bad parties sucked for sure, but with so many other avenues of leveling, I think it would be pretty easy to avoid the bad parties for the most part.
#14 May 21 2013 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts

I'm not trying to be an *** here, disregard the fact that there is two in my name, but...

Aren't you all tired of answering this question? All anyone has to do is google Final Fantasy XIV and they will get tons of info. Its like people out of no where decide they want to know about FFXIV and come strait here and post without even looking at the other posts. I guess he could have thought it was an expansion and we were down for server maintenance...

My biggest gripe with these threads is really when they ask if the game is still up or if its going strong, etc. Come on, seven months later? Its different than asking, "is it back up yet?"

I'm just curious, not trolling. If he/she really wants to know I hope the questions got answered, which the first few did a good job of relaying the info.

#15 May 21 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
Theonehio wrote:
I don't know if you've played an MMO with dungeons...but they get insanely boring and repetitive even when it's not the same one lol.

Edited, May 21st 2013 7:59am by Theonehio


I understand what you're saying and I completely agree. I was just pointing out that, to me anyway, running a maze/labrynth/dungeon repetetively is equally as interesting/fun/boring as standing in the jungle and wailing on an endless amount of walking plant-children.

Edit: Add to that the possibility that you could be getting decent gear/craft items, and you're making money too!

Edited, May 21st 2013 11:11am by IKickYoDog

Edited, May 21st 2013 11:13am by IKickYoDog
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#16 May 21 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
I also had a few crazy parties in XI where I was the leader, constantly cycling in replacements over several hours. This was mostly TP burns, mostly in the Thickets or on that volcano with the crawlers around level 65 or so. I have mixed feelings about being able to do that again, lol.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#17 May 21 2013 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:

I'm not trying to be an *** here, disregard the fact that there is two in my name, but...

Aren't you all tired of answering this question? All anyone has to do is google Final Fantasy XIV and they will get tons of info. Its like people out of no where decide they want to know about FFXIV and come strait here and post without even looking at the other posts. I guess he could have thought it was an expansion and we were down for server maintenance...

My biggest gripe with these threads is really when they ask if the game is still up or if its going strong, etc. Come on, seven months later? Its different than asking, "is it back up yet?"

I'm just curious, not trolling. If he/she really wants to know I hope the questions got answered, which the first few did a good job of relaying the info.



It's gonna keep getting asked, you know. Even years after the game is released again. "Is this game worth playing?" etc. Might as well be kind enough to answer the questions patiently and get used to it.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#18 May 21 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Atkascha wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:

I'm not trying to be an *** here, disregard the fact that there is two in my name, but...

Aren't you all tired of answering this question? All anyone has to do is google Final Fantasy XIV and they will get tons of info. Its like people out of no where decide they want to know about FFXIV and come strait here and post without even looking at the other posts. I guess he could have thought it was an expansion and we were down for server maintenance...

My biggest gripe with these threads is really when they ask if the game is still up or if its going strong, etc. Come on, seven months later? Its different than asking, "is it back up yet?"

I'm just curious, not trolling. If he/she really wants to know I hope the questions got answered, which the first few did a good job of relaying the info.



It's gonna keep getting asked, you know. Even years after the game is released again. "Is this game worth playing?" etc. Might as well be kind enough to answer the questions patiently and get used to it.


[quote=Atkascha]


True that.

It was already answered so I felt the need to disrupt the mojo for a minute.
#19 May 21 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Ekotaoi wrote:
I was part of the initial CE batch of FFXVI users that quit the game out of frustration. I know. I could have stuck through it, but can you blame me? I had a good amount of experience in FFXI and with the release of the new expansions for both games, Im wondering...

1. Is FFXIV still going? is the population good?
2. Can I actually have a good time in Eorzea?
3. Is FFXI dead?
4. Can I currently play FFXIV or is it being overhauled? What gives?
5. Whats the system like for leveling? Party or solo farming?


Ahh man, I just want to play XIV... you already got to play XVI? I'm so jealous.

Sorry I couldn't resist Smiley: wink

Also... I hope to God they get the word out at E3. Because we're a few months until release, and people still think this is an expansion.


Quote:
I'm not trying to be an *** here, disregard the fact that there is two in my name, but...

Aren't you all tired of answering this question? All anyone has to do is google Final Fantasy XIV and they will get tons of info. Its like people out of no where decide they want to know about FFXIV and come strait here and post without even looking at the other posts. I guess he could have thought it was an expansion and we were down for server maintenance...

My biggest gripe with these threads is really when they ask if the game is still up or if its going strong, etc. Come on, seven months later? Its different than asking, "is it back up yet?"

I'm just curious, not trolling. If he/she really wants to know I hope the questions got answered, which the first few did a good job of relaying the info.


I can tell you, hands down.... when I come back to a game I would easily rather talk to real people on a forum than try and sift through all the crap the companies put out about a game. You'll get the real scoop, rather than what the advertisers want you to know.



Edited, May 21st 2013 11:31am by je355804
#20 May 21 2013 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Wint wrote:
Theonehio wrote:
It's solo for the most part but like other generic MMORPGs


This is the only thing I would take issue with. It's easily soloable to level 15-20 on quests and grinding, but after that you'll want to look into Guildleves and FATEs.

The instanced dungeons are the most effective XP (think XI's partying), and only require 4 people to participate so ideally there would be less LFG. They are also implementing a duty finder in Phase 4 which should help with finding a group to do said dungeons.




soo leveling on a time limit = good? (if I recall in your preview you mentioned the instance dungeons were timed... What if me and my group are one of those ppl like I had in FFXI who wants to level up/grind in a party for 12 hours straight (i remember having a 24 hour long party in the thickets in FFXI one time lol) cant do that on a 2 hour time limit >.>


Worked well for me, I spent several hours doing dungeons with people during Phase 2, and when that got boring I chased FATEs or did guildleves while waiting for more FATEs. There are plenty of options for leveling, but traditional open world XP like FFXI I never tried and I don't think would be that viable really (or at least the most efficient).
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#21 May 21 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
It sounds like we'll have plenty of variety, then. In FFXI, I think we got used to the party EXP because there were no other options. Unless you were on BST, BLM or DRG, you pretty much had to join a party. I'm relieved we won't have to do that this time around. I'd rather the option still be there. As far as it being mandatory for reasonable progression, that needs to stay a thing of the past.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#22 May 21 2013 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Atkascha wrote:
It sounds like we'll have plenty of variety, then. In FFXI, I think we got used to the party EXP because there were no other options. Unless you were on BST, BLM or DRG, you pretty much had to join a party. I'm relieved we won't have to do that this time around. I'd rather the option still be there. As far as it being mandatory for reasonable progression, that needs to stay a thing of the past.


I think it should still have the advantage of being the most efficient way of XPing. Otherwise it serves no purpose, and won't exist.
#23 May 21 2013 at 9:40 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*****
12,816 posts
Atkascha wrote:
It sounds like we'll have plenty of variety, then. In FFXI, I think we got used to the party EXP because there were no other options. Unless you were on BST, BLM or DRG, you pretty much had to join a party. I'm relieved we won't have to do that this time around. I'd rather the option still be there. As far as it being mandatory for reasonable progression, that needs to stay a thing of the past.


Talking to NPCs are the most efficient means of leveling in ARR as per SE's words. There's options that is true, they got rid of the overworld leveling option though, quick google search I see someone attempted it and they got even less exp a kill than they did solo.
#24 May 21 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
Theonehio wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
It sounds like we'll have plenty of variety, then. In FFXI, I think we got used to the party EXP because there were no other options. Unless you were on BST, BLM or DRG, you pretty much had to join a party. I'm relieved we won't have to do that this time around. I'd rather the option still be there. As far as it being mandatory for reasonable progression, that needs to stay a thing of the past.


Talking to NPCs are the most efficient means of leveling in ARR as per SE's words. There's options that is true, they got rid of the overworld leveling option though, quick google search I see someone attempted it and they got even less exp a kill than they did solo.


Highly disappointing... I can't understand why you would get rid of that. It seems like it makes an MMO an MSO.
#25 May 21 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
No great loss imo.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#26 May 21 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
660 posts
I'll reserve my judgments until I see the final product. Haven't played the beta yet, myself.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)