Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Recommend a Keyboard for PS3?Follow

#27 May 30 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
I agree. In fact, my USB one looks very close to that, but its wired. I don't know how the batteries go for that, like some, and say that if you can manage the wired one, its one of the better options. Like for me, when I play the PS3 and would NEED a KB, I would be playing at night and the only one who would need to worry about the cord is me. Otherwise I would be doing something for 15-30min and won't care to say anything unless to say "hi," but the controller can do that, I'm sure (PS2 FFXI style).


The battery life seems pretty solid with my K360. I've had it 5-6 months and I'm still using the stock Duracell batteries. I just turn it off when I'm not using it.


{Can I have it?}Smiley: grin
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#28 May 30 2013 at 6:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I've not tried it with the PS3 but my Microsoft Wireless Arc keyboard is fantastic. Microsoft is very good and making keyboards that have fantastic battery life.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#29 May 30 2013 at 10:28 PM Rating: Excellent
LebargeX wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
I agree. In fact, my USB one looks very close to that, but its wired. I don't know how the batteries go for that, like some, and say that if you can manage the wired one, its one of the better options. Like for me, when I play the PS3 and would NEED a KB, I would be playing at night and the only one who would need to worry about the cord is me. Otherwise I would be doing something for 15-30min and won't care to say anything unless to say "hi," but the controller can do that, I'm sure (PS2 FFXI style).


The battery life seems pretty solid with my K360. I've had it 5-6 months and I'm still using the stock Duracell batteries. I just turn it off when I'm not using it.


{Can I have it?}Smiley: grin


If it comes in red I'm buying it Smiley: grin
#30 May 30 2013 at 10:30 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
For some reason only the white was on sale. Which is fine it looks kinda ff themed. I saw a lot of different designs online though.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#31 May 30 2013 at 10:48 PM Rating: Excellent
LebargeX wrote:
For some reason only the white was on sale. Which is fine it looks kinda ff themed. I saw a lot of different designs online though.


Gah, I need a red one to match my case, fans, cables and LEDs Smiley: tongue I've only seen the flowery designs on those, I'll have to look for the others.
#32 May 31 2013 at 5:38 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
For some reason only the white was on sale. Which is fine it looks kinda ff themed. I saw a lot of different designs online though.


Gah, I need a red one to match my case, fans, cables and LEDs Smiley: tongue I've only seen the flowery designs on those, I'll have to look for the others.


You could always DIY lol
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#33 May 31 2013 at 7:44 AM Rating: Excellent
LebargeX wrote:
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
For some reason only the white was on sale. Which is fine it looks kinda ff themed. I saw a lot of different designs online though.


Gah, I need a red one to match my case, fans, cables and LEDs Smiley: tongue I've only seen the flowery designs on those, I'll have to look for the others.


You could always DIY lol


Hahaha I know, I've done old keyboards before. I just got my MK360 though, I'll wait a bit before I rip it apart to paint it Smiley: tongue
#34 Jun 02 2013 at 4:01 PM Rating: Decent
5 posts
I'm in the same boat, and I miss my old PS2 controller/keyboard from my FFXI days. Wonder if it'll even work? I haven't been on my PS3 for anything other than Blu-Ray so I don't know what the specs are on that thing anymore. I've got a Bluetooth apple keyboard...if that works I'll probably just use that.
____________________________
http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/4656685/

Rob Doggius
LS: Unbroken

KCCO
#35 Jun 02 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Decent
Killua125 wrote:
Can the PS3 users at least voice chat with each other?

Here's the thing, voice chat for PS3... is expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/playstation-3-headsets/27030.aspx

XBox headsets normally come packed in with most consoles, some games and pretty much can be gotten on the cheap. The el-cheapo headsets for PS3 are typically bluetooth moron tags... I mean ear pieces... and I've heard that the sound quality... well... Not the best is what I'd say. The quality headsets start jumping in price pretty quickly as well.

Just one of the many really bad PS3 design choices.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#36 Jun 02 2013 at 5:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Can the PS3 users at least voice chat with each other?

Here's the thing, voice chat for PS3... is expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/playstation-3-headsets/27030.aspx

XBox headsets normally come packed in with most consoles, some games and pretty much can be gotten on the cheap. The el-cheapo headsets for PS3 are typically bluetooth moron tags... I mean ear pieces... and I've heard that the sound quality... well... Not the best is what I'd say. The quality headsets start jumping in price pretty quickly as well.

Just one of the many really bad PS3 design choices.


I believe some of Logitech's models are PS3 capable. The bigger issue would be the voice over IP capabilities, which most likely aren't going to be there in-game. Without it in-game that makes voice chat pretty much impossible on the PS3. I guess that is another aspect in which the 360 is superior. From what I've been told, you can invite multiple people into a conversation regardless of what games they are currently playing. That would be great for an MMO, but sadly FFXIV will not be making an appearance on the 360/X-Bone.

Maybe we'll see more widespread use of Skype for voice chat since they have a phone App. ****, I'm sure at least one of the other voice chat programs have some sort of free app. I think there will be plenty of options beyond the PS3 for those that wish to play on it and voice chat.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#37 Jun 02 2013 at 5:32 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Can the PS3 users at least voice chat with each other?

Here's the thing, voice chat for PS3... is expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/category/playstation-3-headsets/27030.aspx

XBox headsets normally come packed in with most consoles, some games and pretty much can be gotten on the cheap. The el-cheapo headsets for PS3 are typically bluetooth moron tags... I mean ear pieces... and I've heard that the sound quality... well... Not the best is what I'd say. The quality headsets start jumping in price pretty quickly as well.

Just one of the many really bad PS3 design choices.


I believe some of Logitech's models are PS3 capable. The bigger issue would be the voice over IP capabilities, which most likely aren't going to be there in-game. Without it in-game that makes voice chat pretty much impossible on the PS3. I guess that is another aspect in which the 360 is superior. From what I've been told, you can invite multiple people into a conversation regardless of what games they are currently playing. That would be great for an MMO, but sadly FFXIV will not be making an appearance on the 360/X-Bone.

Maybe we'll see more widespread use of Skype for voice chat since they have a phone App. ****, I'm sure at least one of the other voice chat programs have some sort of free app. I think there will be plenty of options beyond the PS3 for those that wish to play on it and voice chat.


You are correct. Vent and mumble both have smart phone apps. I plan on using them when raiding etc. in the apple App Store vent and team speak are both $5. Mumble is free.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2013 4:36pm by LebargeX

Edited, Jun 2nd 2013 4:36pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#38 Jun 02 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Oh and thanks to Damien for the suggestion. I got a white K360 at Radio Shack for $20. I tried it out with just some basic typing and I think it's going to be perfect :)

Edited, Jun 2nd 2013 4:42pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#39 Jun 02 2013 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Haha... You convinced me.

I will be buying a wireless one too. The battery life on a few of these seems to be very good and adding me turning it off when its not in use will help too. < $30 is a pretty good deal. Thanks.
#40 Jun 02 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
Haha... You convinced me.

I will be buying a wireless one too. The battery life on a few of these seems to be very good and adding me turning it off when its not in use will help too. < $30 is a pretty good deal. Thanks.


I the sale was good through the weekend you may want to check soon
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#41 Jun 02 2013 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Haha, You're welcome guys, I'll have to also thank my friend for you since he was the one that got me to buy one. I was so used to using a laptop keyboard that the board with raised keys made my hands derp when typing.

I don't know if it's me or not, but it seems like over the 4ish wireless Logitech mice I've owned they have improved battery life a great deal. If you're really concerned with battery life you could always just take them out when not in use for a while, but I think turning it off will suffice. I never used to turn off the first one I owned and I can definitely attest to the benefits of doing so. I want to say that the one battery in these mice last 6-12 months.

Another nifty thing about Logitech peripherals is that you can sync multiple devices to a single USB receiver... which I am about to look into.. :D
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#42 Jun 02 2013 at 9:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Well, the K360 KB "says" the battery will last 36months, that's sick. So, $20 for a nice little wireless KB that I would have to drop millions on for batteries, that's a no brainer.

Not that I can't use my USB one but it is my PS2, FFXI original. lol. Thanks.
#43 Jun 02 2013 at 9:15 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
That's my thinking too. **** I could even buy some rechargeable AA's and go that way :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#44 Jun 02 2013 at 11:26 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I know back in the day wireless mice used to eat up batteries every couple months. However, now I could probably safely assume that an 8 pack would last you 2+ years (for both KB and mouse). I've had my mice die before I've used that many batteries on them I'm sure... The old Logitech USB receivers used to be over an inch long.. that combined with my laptop getting knocked over proved to be fatal... RIP my 4gb USB drive... My other mouse got worn out from too much HealBot and LoL clicking.. This one's still going strong, although I wish it would die so i can justify buying their newest model to match my keyboard.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 1:27am by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#45 Jun 03 2013 at 7:07 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Xoie wrote:
I have the official PS3 wireless keypad that fits on the controller.It could be the right solution for you depending on how you plan to use it. The PS3 version of FFXIV will only let you use a keyboard for communication so you don't have to worry about assigning macro keys and such. Having the keypad on your controller eliminates the need for a nearby table or other flat surface.

The only tricky part is that you need to be relatively comfortable using such a small keypad. I often find myself having to stare at the keypad to find the right keys to type, unlike a full keyboard where I can watch the screen instead.


The question is, would you recommend it? Is it something that you get used to or does it always feel awkward?


I also have this device. It works for me because it's very similar to texting on a smartphone. I would recommend it if you're comfortable typing like that. My only gripes about it are that you really do have to get used to it, and the keys don't glow in the dark for night-time play.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#46 Jun 03 2013 at 7:23 AM Rating: Excellent
WFOAssassin wrote:
Well, the K360 KB "says" the battery will last 36months, that's sick. So, $20 for a nice little wireless KB that I would have to drop millions on for batteries, that's a no brainer.

Not that I can't use my USB one but it is my PS2, FFXI original. lol. Thanks.


The nice thing is it has an on/off switch. Helps battery life a ton.
#47 Jun 05 2013 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Got me a k360 from RadioShack for $20. Thanks for that info. It is a really good little KB. I used it at work for a while and wrote a bunch of ignorant messages to my brother on the PS3. It works well. Thanks!!!!1
#48 Jun 08 2013 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
I went through 3 keyboards playing FFxi. Used it for chat, but mostly for Macros. All that pounding lol.
Two of them were still under warranty, so I only paid for one of them. When the last one died I sprung for
a more expensive one (like $60). Wasn't worth it.

Cheers!


Grand Momma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#49 Jun 08 2013 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
I went through 3 keyboards playing FFxi. Used it for chat, but mostly for Macros. All that pounding lol.
Two of them were still under warranty, so I only paid for one of them. When the last one died I sprung for
a more expensive one (like $60). Wasn't worth it.

Cheers!


Haha, I had that Logitech PS2/keyboard combo for FFXI and it was the only controller I've ever "lost" due to wearing out. I remember my 1-4 and Ctrl/Alt keys being extremely worn XD.


Also, I feel like I got jipped with paying $30 for my k360 now lol. oh well, I got a USB 360 controller for $26 from GameStop instead of $40-$60 so I suppose I won't lose a ton of sleep over it. /foreveralone.jpg-sob
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#50 Jun 10 2013 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
23 posts
..a little highjack... Does AAR really require a Dualshock 3, or the standart SIXAXIS is enough?
____________________________

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn @ Playstation 3
#51 Jun 10 2013 at 11:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
SeiFMeiSTeR wrote:
..a little highjack... Does AAR really require a Dualshock 3, or the standart SIXAXIS is enough?



I don't see why you it makes a difference, but the real question is... Why would you not have a DualShock 3? You are missing out on some sweet vibrating fun! But for real, I seriously doubt they will make it a requirement, that would be silly.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 80 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (80)