Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

PS3 HDD UpgradeFollow

#1 May 29 2013 at 4:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts

Can anyone provide us PS3 users with some compatible HDD(s) that we can use to upgrade our PS3 system? I have found some but I don't trust the sources. If anyone has direct knowledge on this, I'm sure the outdated PS3 users would love to hear about it. I know ARR won't be a large file (12GB I hear) but I don't want to lose space for the games I buy in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Edited, May 29th 2013 6:40pm by WFOAssassin
#2 May 29 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
This is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136567

I know it works, I pulled it out of my PS3's cold, lifeless body Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#3 May 29 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Wint wrote:
This is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136567

I know it works, I pulled it out of my PS3's cold, lifeless body Smiley: frown



SOLD! Thank you, sir. Now, if it makes my PS3 crash and burn, can I have access to your Nuke Button for 15min?
#4 May 29 2013 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#5 May 29 2013 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Wint wrote:
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.


Happened to my mom's "fat boy" too :(
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#6 May 29 2013 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Wint wrote:
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.


Happened to my mom's "fat boy" too :(


Well, my 60GB did it too. Poor poor PS3. I took pictures of it with my sad face before I sent it to Sony for a trade in... Here is my conspiracy, they started giving updates that included a Trojan Horse that kills the Backward Compatible PS3s. Soon they will all die.
#7 May 29 2013 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
****
4,928 posts
any SATA 2'5'' (500gb or less otherwise you might run into it being too big for the ps3 try) 5400 rpm hard drive made by seagate or western digital is what i use for my PS3 upgrades
#8 May 29 2013 at 7:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Wint wrote:
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.


Happened to my mom's "fat boy" too :(


Well, my 60GB did it too. Poor poor PS3. I took pictures of it with my sad face before I sent it to Sony for a trade in... Here is my conspiracy, they started giving updates that included a Trojan Horse that kills the Backward Compatible PS3s. Soon they will all die.


Is this really true? I had heard they ran out of the parts needed to repair the "fat boy" systems and simply wont repair them anymore. I've already had mine repaired once, I'm not sure they can do it again since they will have run out of parts by then if they haven't already.
____________________________
#9 May 29 2013 at 8:00 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
swisa wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Wint wrote:
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.


Happened to my mom's "fat boy" too :(


Well, my 60GB did it too. Poor poor PS3. I took pictures of it with my sad face before I sent it to Sony for a trade in... Here is my conspiracy, they started giving updates that included a Trojan Horse that kills the Backward Compatible PS3s. Soon they will all die.


Is this really true? I had heard they ran out of the parts needed to repair the "fat boy" systems and simply wont repair them anymore. I've already had mine repaired once, I'm not sure they can do it again since they will have run out of parts by then if they haven't already.


What is true is that they will not fix any backward compatible PS3s anymore. However, as a nice way to get the system off the market, they will give you a NEW 120GB PS3 for $50. You tell me what that sounds like to you... Also, why did they start getting the YLOD a short time after that announcment and an update... that's where I decided that Sony wanted to kill them all as soon as possible.

BUT, I decided that I have a perfectly good PS2, fat and slim, that I can play PS1 and PS2 games on, so I'm good. I only play Tenchu, DOTHack, and Final Fantasy on it anyway so what's the point?
#10 May 29 2013 at 8:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
My television won't talk to the PS2. It's all like, "I'm sorry I do not speak the olde tongue."

PS3 and TV get along like best friends, though.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#11 May 30 2013 at 3:08 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
My PS2 is for .hack, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Smiley: lol

I ended up buying a new PS3 as my HDD was full.
#12 May 30 2013 at 5:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Adzieboy wrote:
My PS2 is for .hack, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. Smiley: lol

I ended up buying a new PS3 as my HDD was full.



+1 for your game choices. I am going to get the HD Collection for KH, my niece stole my PS2 copies and think they own them so won't give them back...

My brother bought a new PS3 for an HDD upgrade but I know I can get a 500GB HDD to upgrade it, I'm sorry, did you think of doing that? I feel like I'll break my PS3 so I still feel like I should buy a new one, but for $50 more, it's worth watching a few videos and trying.
#13 May 30 2013 at 5:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
I had thought of upgrading it but it was an old chunky and I'd already had it replaced once before so I thought it would be safer to just get a new one that uses less power as well.
#14 May 30 2013 at 6:28 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Adzieboy wrote:
I had thought of upgrading it but it was an old chunky and I'd already had it replaced once before so I thought it would be safer to just get a new one that uses less power as well.



O yess, I forgot people could be living n the power sucking, fat boy age... lol. I wasn't trying to insult you or anything by this or the last post. Just questions.
#15 May 30 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
742 posts
A couple of years ago, my "fluffy" PS3 got the YLOD. I contacted Sony and got it replaced. Cost about $150. Only trouble was, I had about 40 hours into FFXIII and lost it, along with all the other saved games. They didn't repair it, it was replaced. Even had a DVD stuck in the drive, got it back, too. :)
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#16 May 30 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
I managed replacing the hard drive on my PS3 with a decently priced Corsair SSD with 320 GB. Instructions from the internet were all I needed to move my files with a USB drive and install the new drive. It wasn't difficult at all and now I have space for FFXIV (with improved loading times Smiley: wink).
#17 May 31 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I wanted to add something for some of you. If you have a lot of movies, pictures, music that you store on the PS3, try looking into this program called, TVersity

Wirelessly I can look at all the files on my PC, through my PS3, clearly that saves space. Just an FYI.
#18 May 31 2013 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
So I am starting the process, I got a HDD to change out with but I have a question...

Can I do a few data saves, like 3 18GB loads and then do the same to bring them back?
or
Do I have to get a ~120GB HDD to get it at once?

#19 May 31 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
So I am starting the process, I got a HDD to change out with but I have a question...

Can I do a few data saves, like 3 18GB loads and then do the same to bring them back?
or
Do I have to get a ~120GB HDD to get it at once?



I think it's an all or nothing deal. My original drive was 60gb so it wasn't much work to move things.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#20 May 31 2013 at 10:25 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
So I am starting the process, I got a HDD to change out with but I have a question...

Can I do a few data saves, like 3 18GB loads and then do the same to bring them back?
or
Do I have to get a ~120GB HDD to get it at once?




if you only care about saves then you can put that all on a flash drive or get ps+ and use the cloud but if you want all your game installs, downloads, patches etc etc to get transferred you have to but a usb external HDD thats as big as your current HDD id make it as big as your NEW hdd just incase you plan to upgrade that one day or for backup purposes if that one crashes) then back EVERYTHING up at once
#21 Jun 01 2013 at 4:12 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
So I am starting the process, I got a HDD to change out with but I have a question...

Can I do a few data saves, like 3 18GB loads and then do the same to bring them back?
or
Do I have to get a ~120GB HDD to get it at once?




if you only care about saves then you can put that all on a flash drive or get ps+ and use the cloud but if you want all your game installs, downloads, patches etc etc to get transferred you have to but a usb external HDD thats as big as your current HDD id make it as big as your NEW hdd just incase you plan to upgrade that one day or for backup purposes if that one crashes) then back EVERYTHING up at once




Hmmm, Saves are realy all I care about. Trophys are saved to the server and all the game data, I can just reinstall as I play them. MGS4... I won't play that unil I beat MGS 2, 3, PW. I only have one movie saved, so maybe Ill see how much room I need for the save data. Thanks. Although I could use an external HDD, but I did just shell out $55 for this new PS3 one, :(
#22 Jun 01 2013 at 11:40 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
well just buy ps+ for a year (or 3 months) and put all the save data on the cloud.. otherwise you can put all the save data on a small 1gb flash drive... that stuff hardly takes space.. as for re installing all your games again.. yeah all that plus repatching and redownloading DLC (if you have any) takes forever.. i takes me a full 24 hours to reinstall and redownload everything i own (i know.. ive had to do it twice lol)
#23 Jun 01 2013 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
well just buy ps+ for a year (or 3 months) and put all the save data on the cloud.. otherwise you can put all the save data on a small 1gb flash drive... that stuff hardly takes space.. as for re installing all your games again.. yeah all that plus repatching and redownloading DLC (if you have any) takes forever.. i takes me a full 24 hours to reinstall and redownload everything i own (i know.. ive had to do it twice lol)



Yes. It would take a long time if I did it all in one sitting but.... I won't play MGS4, so why reinstall it now? Ill do that when I play it in 6 months. Same for the other games. Now, DL patches, DLC, etc, that would take a while but still I can do that when I go to play the game. Hmmm. Lets see that happens. I don't want to take a year to do it all though, lol.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone.
#24 Jun 01 2013 at 6:58 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
421 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Wint wrote:
LOL well that wasn't why mine died, the drive works perfectly still. Unfortunately it is the YLOD for me.


Happened to my mom's "fat boy" too :(


Well, my 60GB did it too. Poor poor PS3. I took pictures of it with my sad face before I sent it to Sony for a trade in... Here is my conspiracy, they started giving updates that included a Trojan Horse that kills the Backward Compatible PS3s. Soon they will all die.




i hope not mines still kicking in hopefully it good for ffxiv til i buy a ps4 lol
____________________________
<a href="http://www.enjin.com/" alt="guild hosting"><img src="http://sigs.enjin.com/sig-ffxiv/39704_48d6215903dff562.png"></a>
#25 Jun 01 2013 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Now...

1.5TB for $72 HERE

500GB for $60 HERE

External HD, mine just died.

What would work with the PS3 and not have to be reformatted every time. I was thinking +$12 but I doubt ill use that much space... ever. lol. Well, unless I save my music and stuff... What do you think?



Edited, Jun 1st 2013 10:24pm by WFOAssassin
#26 Jun 01 2013 at 9:40 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
500gb
#27 Jun 01 2013 at 9:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
done, ty.
#28 Jun 02 2013 at 3:57 AM Rating: Decent
Any 2.5inch laptop drive with 5200rpm will do as long as it's formatted to fat32 , I wish hoping the external hhd and cradle would work better e.i been able to install game data onto it but doesn't which sucks.

But if you really wont to free up room on ur drive just delete some your old game data utility to the older gamez u dont play, I had a quicl look at mime and managed to free up around 400g of space
#29 Jun 07 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Just as a follow up.

I got a 750GB WD, Enternal HDD from Amazon for $62.
I got a 500GB WD, External HDD from Ebay for $40. I had to DL, SwissKnife to create the proper format for the PS3. My 6 year old one broke, maybe, the day after I asked about doing this... perhaps that was a good thing.

Looked online for a few how to videos. After 3hours of Back up, 20min of work, and 3hours of restoring data. I am proud to say..

I am the proud new owner of a 750GB PS3 Slim with 650GB of free space for FFXIV: ARR

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and suggestions. I am a happy man. /bow
#30 Jun 08 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#31 Jun 08 2013 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma


I believe they said 12 GB was 'required' so I think that 53 should be more than enough.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#32 Jun 08 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma


I believe they said 12 GB was 'required' so I think that 53 should be more than enough.



Thank you so much. Cheers!

Grand Momma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#33 Jun 08 2013 at 12:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma


I believe they said 12 GB was 'required' so I think that 53 should be more than enough.



Thank you so much. Cheers!

Grand Momma



Smiley: grin
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#34 Jun 08 2013 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma


I believe they said 12 GB was 'required' so I think that 53 should be more than enough.




It is enough but what about your future? Wont you need more space? I went ahead and got the 750GB HDD because I knew it would cover, probably everything from now on. Maybe even into the next gen. The External HDD is always something you can use, and since mine broke, it made sense. Up to you but it wouldn't hurt to upgrade if you had the funds or resources. It was very easy to do.
#35 Jun 08 2013 at 5:47 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
LebargeX wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
I have 53 gb free on my hard drive. Is that enough to play the game?

My experience with upgrading drives is limited to my Tivo and PC. Lots of stripping going on, my poor screws...

Grand Momma


I believe they said 12 GB was 'required' so I think that 53 should be more than enough.

20gb not 12
#36 Jun 08 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
Just as a follow up.

I got a 750GB WD, Enternal HDD from Amazon for $62.
I got a 500GB WD, External HDD from Ebay for $40. I had to DL, SwissKnife to create the proper format for the PS3. My 6 year old one broke, maybe, the day after I asked about doing this... perhaps that was a good thing.

Looked online for a few how to videos. After 3hours of Back up, 20min of work, and 3hours of restoring data. I am proud to say..

I am the proud new owner of a 750GB PS3 Slim with 650GB of free space for FFXIV: ARR

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and suggestions. I am a happy man. /bow



3 hours of backup? what did you have? 50gb of backup data? my back ups take 8 hours lol
#37 Jun 09 2013 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Just as a follow up.

I got a 750GB WD, Enternal HDD from Amazon for $62.
I got a 500GB WD, External HDD from Ebay for $40. I had to DL, SwissKnife to create the proper format for the PS3. My 6 year old one broke, maybe, the day after I asked about doing this... perhaps that was a good thing.

Looked online for a few how to videos. After 3hours of Back up, 20min of work, and 3hours of restoring data. I am proud to say..

I am the proud new owner of a 750GB PS3 Slim with 650GB of free space for FFXIV: ARR

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and suggestions. I am a happy man. /bow



3 hours of backup? what did you have? 50gb of backup data? my back ups take 8 hours lol



90GB. Goodness. 8Hours is forever, howmay GB did you have?. They should speed that process up. Good lord.
#38 Jun 09 2013 at 11:45 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Just as a follow up.

I got a 750GB WD, Enternal HDD from Amazon for $62.
I got a 500GB WD, External HDD from Ebay for $40. I had to DL, SwissKnife to create the proper format for the PS3. My 6 year old one broke, maybe, the day after I asked about doing this... perhaps that was a good thing.

Looked online for a few how to videos. After 3hours of Back up, 20min of work, and 3hours of restoring data. I am proud to say..

I am the proud new owner of a 750GB PS3 Slim with 650GB of free space for FFXIV: ARR

Thank you, everyone, for all the advice and suggestions. I am a happy man. /bow



3 hours of backup? what did you have? 50gb of backup data? my back ups take 8 hours lol



90GB. Goodness. 8Hours is forever, howmay GB did you have?. They should speed that process up. Good lord.


120gb (im using a 500gb hdd but i dont back that one up lol)
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 132 All times are in CDT
Allegory, Vaaniks, Anonymous Guests (130)