Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This thread is locked

PVP Worlds...Follow

#1 May 31 2013 at 9:04 AM Rating: Good
24 posts
Already guys, so Yoshi announced that while he is very interested in a incorporating a ton of PVP into FFXIV2.0 he does not like the idea of Open World PVP..

I have to say, as a hardcore PVP'er - I highly disagree with this. I would love for the options of PVP realms and PVE realms. Those that didn't want the ability to gank in open world or to be ganked would be able to roll on PVE servers.

Anyone else with me on this?

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 6:46pm by Wint Lock Thread: Yep
#2 May 31 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,450 posts
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#3 May 31 2013 at 9:08 AM Rating: Decent
24 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.


Why do you feel this way? And why do you feel it doens't belong in an FF game? I've played every FF game, aside from 12+ and the portable games..And I see no reason why it couldn't be incorporated.
#4 May 31 2013 at 9:10 AM Rating: Default
***
3,450 posts
iontheable wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.


Why do you feel this way? And why do you feel it doens't belong in an FF game? I've played every FF game, aside from 12+ and the portable games..And I see no reason why it couldn't be incorporated.


How many of those games had the heroes who were supposed to save the world mindlessly killing each other?

Absent mind control, it's quite an uncommon occurrence.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#5 May 31 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Default
24 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
iontheable wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.


Why do you feel this way? And why do you feel it doens't belong in an FF game? I've played every FF game, aside from 12+ and the portable games..And I see no reason why it couldn't be incorporated.


How many of those games had the heroes who were supposed to save the world mindlessly killing each other?

Absent mind control, it's quite an uncommon occurrence.


I get you, if you follow 100% traditional FF it doesn't fit. However, PVP is a huge part of the MMO market and I feel with 14 wanting to revamp and "succeed" they would tend to both sides of the fence.

And it doesn't have to be mindlessly killing, war'ing factions can always be incorporated into a story.

"yes we're all out to save the world" but what about when the world is "saved" which race/kingdom prevails? etc
#6 May 31 2013 at 9:14 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
iontheable wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.


Why do you feel this way? And why do you feel it doens't belong in an FF game? I've played every FF game, aside from 12+ and the portable games..And I see no reason why it couldn't be incorporated.


The main reason a lot of people don't want to see open world pvp is because of the griefing it causes. Now, if there were to do it duel style where you had to accept an invitation for PvP, I'd be all for that. But just straight open world pvp leads to a bunch of asshats camping lowbie areas and ganking people until they log off or bring a group of their friends by to kill the gankers. Literally every game I've played with open-world pvp is plagued by this issue.
#7 May 31 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
I see where you're coming from on that, and to an extent I agree. But it still just "feels wrong" for a Final Fantasy game.

I don't believe that every new MMO needs world pvp in order to succeed, and I believe it would clash with the Final Fantasy setting.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#8 May 31 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Decent
24 posts
Could definitely be argued both ways and I appreciate your open-mindedness, as well your points(good ones)

However, that's where my solution of two different server arch-types, PVP and PVE

For those that want to deal with the grieving(yes it's always there in open world pvp) and those that do not.
#9 May 31 2013 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
24 posts
BartelX wrote:
Literally every game I've played with open-world pvp is plagued by this issue.

See, I enjoy this though. I'm never the griefing, I'm on the "team" that bans together to give the "asshats" a taste of their own medicine. It creates a subquest in mind "defend the weak"
#10 May 31 2013 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
iontheable wrote:
Could definitely be argued both ways and I appreciate your open-mindedness, as well your points(good ones)

However, that's where my solution of two different server arch-types, PVP and PVE

For those that want to deal with the grieving(yes it's always there in open world pvp) and those that do not.


Personally I'm fine with having separate open-world PvP servers. It has no effect on me whatsoever since I just wouldn't join one. I'm merely pointing out why a lot of people, especially FF players, tend to not enjoy open world pvp. I'm actually surprised Yoshi didn't opt for some with open-world... isn't he like a pvp champion for dark age of camelot or something?
#11 May 31 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
Is it viable to have open PVP in a game like this? Most MMOs with PVP have factions like the Alliance and the Horde from the get-go. If you were to do in in XIV you have the grand companies but you can opt in and out of those so it wouldn't make sense to me.
#12 May 31 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Adzieboy wrote:
Is it viable to have open PVP in a game like this? Most MMOs with PVP have factions like the Alliance and the Horde from the get-go. If you were to do in in XIV you have the grand companies but you can opt in and out of those so it wouldn't make sense to me.


You can opt in and out, but when you're in one, you'd just fight for that faction. It might not have that overarching feel of animosity towards the other factions, but it would still work logistically.
#13 May 31 2013 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
322 posts
I am not a real big PvP person, but I do enjoy it from time to time. That being said I have not played many games with open world PvP, and the ones that I did turned into Zerg fests. Classes get tweeked, way to much due to balance issues, and that makes nobody happy anyway you look at it.

I can understand Arena style PvP, or maybe even group/LS style instanced PvP with large maps. Open World PvP would just be a huge mess, and hinderance to the game imo.
#14 May 31 2013 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
**
327 posts
I don't think it fits in this game either. I don't really even like the duel option. I remember a few years ago I tried the 10 day free trial of WoW and someone challenged me to a duel and I declined, then 5 seconds later the same person challenges me again and I declined, then 5 seconds later again. I'm like WTF? I'm playing to have fun, not to be annoyed. Also there are plenty of other games out there that have PVP options in them to appease that crowd. I may try the PVP that they come up with for this game to see what it's like , but I don't think a PVP server in a FF mmo would have a very big population. Just my 2c.
____________________________



#15 May 31 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
I'm up for arenas, maps, or open world zones where it's GC based and your choice to enter for non-questing purposes. But the point of FF as a universe is that it's all 3 nations against the Garlean empire or primals or whatever. I want to be able to group up with random people that I meet out there doing quests, not fight each other over spawns, have communication blocked because they're a different faction than I am, and certainly not end up on the 'wrong side' of a crazily imbalanced population.

The game just isn't structured for an all pvp all the time setup, and it would have to have that in mind from the start to really do it right.
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#16 May 31 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
And it doesn't have to be mindlessly killing, war'ing factions can always be incorporated into a story.

Hmm. As many others already pointed out: it simply doesn't fit the overarching concept of adventurers helping out each other.
That's simply what FF games are about. You may consider it dull, but the idea that we would not pull ourselves together to
overcome a common threat is just... strange. They are already adding arenas for competitive tournaments, to appeal to those
who absolutely must kill each other. But I wouldn't expect 1:1 battles in those either. More like Team A against team B.

Maybe they reconsider (although I doubt it). I just know that in all online games I know, the PvP servers always die first; even
before the RP servers. Because the thrill of checking your back every minute fades pretty quickly after you restart the same
quest for the 7th time just because some lololol cartman is camping the zone entrance for easy kills.

P.S.: Final argument: it builds animosity between the players. And there's enough of that to combat given the international
population anyway.

Edited, May 31st 2013 11:59am by Rinsui
#17 May 31 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
970 posts
I agree with the opposition of open world pvp. Once you go down that road of making Open world PvP servers. You open pandoras box and have both sides asking for more content. One side the PvE, the other PvP. Just the seperate servers themselves promote segregation. If FFXIV wants to succeed it has to capture some of the community aspects it's older brother achieved.

Arenas & specific zones or areas of zones such as Yoshi mentioned are the best option for an FF. Where PvP cannot affect you unless you enter those zones. I turn down PvP duel request in Tera like a supermodel turns down broke, perverted, deviants. It gets annoying as ****.
If I wanna smash another players face in. I'll go to the appropriate zone.
#18 May 31 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Open world PvP doesn't make sense in a Final Fantasy game.

"We must all work together to rebuild Eorzea and stand strong against the Garlean forces. But you're a different faction, so you must die first!"

Now if it's in the Gold Saucer or in a tournament in the Colosseum or the likes, that actually does sound fun.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#19 May 31 2013 at 10:08 AM Rating: Excellent
*
98 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Open world PvP doesn't make sense in a Final Fantasy game.

"We must all work together to rebuild Eorzea and stand strong against the Garlean forces. But you're a different faction, so you must die first!"

Now if it's in the Gold Saucer or in a tournament in the Colosseum or the likes, that actually does sound fun.


You can have the same goals but completely different ideals. I can see it as entirely plausible that not everyone will be on the same page.
#20 May 31 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
From a programmer's perspective, splintering the servers even further is also going to be a nightmare.

We already have:
- Legacy versus Clean Slate (non legacy)
- Time zone /region based

Add in PVP or PVE servers to that mix, and everyone in any given time zone with any given account status will have exactly one server they can join.

Edited, May 31st 2013 12:10pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#21 May 31 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
I would support having an arena where we could challenge players from other worlds, hold tournements etc.but not have a pvp world like WOW.

However, I'm not joining FF for PVP. I like fighting monsters and going on quests.

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#22 May 31 2013 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
I think I speak for a lot of people....

If PVP is open world I wouldn't be playing very long. I don't want to walk outside a zone/city and see a bunch of people mindlessly killing each other. Then you have to add the "accept challenge" system, because Ill be damned if I walk around getting smacked in the face randomly. Also, with that, I don't want to spam "NO" to someone either.

However, having an arena or zone for PVP is fine. The arena doesn't have to be a Colosseum, it can be an open area. Make it fun, have a Castle on two sides and choke points for capture the flag? Just saying you can do a lot with a PVP "Zone." I liked Ballista, try that?

I will not play this game if it becomes or is open world PVP and I bet there are tons of other people who feel the same way.
#23 May 31 2013 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
******
48,733 posts
"It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy" must be code for "I don't have the faith to believe the writers can come up with a scenario that makes PVP interesting, nor the imagination to come up with it myself." The only things that make a Final Fantasy game "feel" like a Final Fantasy game are similarly named objects and the title. I'm not a fan of PVP either, but let's come up with some realistic arguments like catwho and huhwhat presented.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 May 31 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
"It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy" must be code for "I don't have the faith to believe the writers can come up with a scenario that makes PVP interesting, nor the imagination to come up with it myself." The only things that make a Final Fantasy game "feel" like a Final Fantasy game are similarly named objects and the title. I'm not a fan of PVP either, but let's come up with some realistic arguments like catwho and huhwhat presented.



Here's one...

Time could be better spent on mini-games from the FF series that we all love, like:

Triple Triad
Chocobo Racing and Raising
FFX's Blitzball!!!!!!!
Tetra Master

You name it. There are tons of FF mini-games that I bet people would love to see over PVP. I'm not saying PVP is a bad idea, I just think it needs to be regulated and implemented in a way that its more of a mini-game and not a staple of the game and it doesn't force people who don't want to play, into a corner. Also not saying that significant resources can't be used to make it a desired part of the game to spent time on.
#25Ostia, Posted: May 31 2013 at 11:01 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Nobody cares about blitzball, nor about chocobo racing, they are good little additions, but nothing groundbraking that would bring millions of people flooding into the game... Unlike PVP :)
#26 May 31 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
This game wasn't built with world PVP in mind so I doubt we'll ever see anything like that implemented, and that's fine with me, but PVP in some capacity is definitely needed. It's a key feature of a MMO.
#27 May 31 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
This game wasn't built with world PVP in mind so I doubt we'll ever see anything like that implemented, and that's fine with me, but PVP in some capacity is definitely needed. It's a key feature of a MMO.


Wrong! 1.0 was not, but ARR was :) Yoshi the director has said this countless times, they have had PVP in their mind, it just not gonna be on release....
____________________________
MUTED
#28 May 31 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
There will be PvP in FFXIV, and plenty of it to suit the Final Fantasy fanbase.

There is a history of PvP in Final Fantasy games, but it's in the form of card games, blitzball, etc. There is no ganking in Final Fantasy.

People who want a hardcore PvP game should look elsewhere... the last thing Final Fantasy fans want is for developers to be distracted by a facet of gaming that has very little to do with Final Fantasy.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#29 May 31 2013 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,957 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
No.

PvP in general doesn't really belong in a Final Fantasy game. But if he wants to ***** around with arena-style pvp, that's probably fine.

Open world pvp just doesn't fit at all.



Yet it fits in something like Everquest or Ultima Online?
#30 May 31 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
Ostia wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
This game wasn't built with world PVP in mind so I doubt we'll ever see anything like that implemented, and that's fine with me, but PVP in some capacity is definitely needed. It's a key feature of a MMO.


Wrong! 1.0 was not, but ARR was :) Yoshi the director has said this countless times, they have had PVP in their mind, it just not gonna be on release....


I'm talking world pvp in the traditional 'I gank you while you're fighting a bear' type of pvp. It couldn't work in FFXIV anyway because there are no opposing factions. All pvp in this game will revolve around some sort of event/mini-game/arena, etc.
#31 May 31 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
Ostia wrote:
Nobody cares about blitzball, nor about chocobo racing, they are good little additions, but nothing groundbraking that would bring millions of people flooding into the game... Unlike PVP :)

PVP is not a mini game... There are entire games dedicated to it, a whole scene, and tournaments going world wide around it... To compare it to blitzball is... Well ignorant ?


I don't believe he was comparing a mini-game to PvP apples-to-apples. I think he was saying that rather than devote resources to something major like PvP, he would rather see a bunch of mini-games developed instead.

Regarding the idea of open-world PvP in ARR, I'm with most other people here in not wanting to see it. I'm fine with some sort of arena setup, but games with a lot of open-world PvP tend to lead towards a less mature audience overall in my experience. As an example, DCUO had a terrible community, even during the 1st year that it was P2P. World chat spammed with trash-talk, people leveling up solely to run around ganking people, etc. I found it to be a mess. Even the forums are different. Every other thread there was some sort of ******* contest, with the words noob, trash, crap, lame, loser, and pu**y getting more than their money's worth of use.

Here on the FF forums, whether it's XI or XIV, it's MUCH more civilized. Yes there are disagreement from time to time (see all the "delve is ruining the game" threads in XI), but there are actual in-depth discussions about mechanics, development, and even off-topic stuff. I come to games like FF to get away from the 14 year old mouth-breathers who are taking a break from trying to rank up in CoD. Who I seem to run into quite often in PvP-centric games.

I also detest the balancing act all developers inevitably fall into between PvP and PvE scenarios. Support classes complain that they are easy targets and can't do any damage in PvP, so the DD get nerfed. Then the DD don't do enough damage to keep up with PvE content, so one particular DD class gets buffed. Then all the other DD say eff it and lvl tanks/healers, then complain that support jobs buff the one special DD to God-mode and can't compete.

I understand why people who like PvP like it as much as they do. I think it's great for them and am glad they have a multitude of games to choose for such activities. I, personally, would like to have one major title that stays away from PvP that I can enjoy. If SE decides to make ARR more PvP heavy in the future, I will most likely quit the game. I won't throw a fit about it, I'll simply give all my gear away and /cancel account.
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#32 May 31 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
***
1,674 posts
Thayos wrote:
There is a history of PvP in Final Fantasy games, but it's in the form of card games, blitzball, etc. There is no ganking in Final Fantasy.


Tetra Master tables when? Smiley: lol

(And before anyone says it, sod off Triple Triad scum. Smiley: tongue )
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI Character(s)
Name: Satisiun
Server: Carbuncle (RIP Gilgamesh)
Jobs: 99DRG, 99PLD, 99RDM, 99WHM | Everything else: 50-60
~Retired.~

Final Fantasy XIV Character(s)
Name: Satisiun Desain
Server(s): Sargantas (primary)
DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL: 50
#33 May 31 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Ostia wrote:
Nobody cares about blitzball, nor about chocobo racing, they are good little additions, but nothing groundbraking that would bring millions of people flooding into the game... Unlike PVP :)

PVP is not a mini game... There are entire games dedicated to it, a whole scene, and tournaments going world wide around it... To compare it to blitzball is... Well ignorant ?

Also blitzball is not a FF minigame, it was in one FF... Triple triad sure!



By "nobody cares" do you mean you or do you speak for many people on this forum and communities around the world?

I also don't think people will flock to a game just because it has PvP. If I was Yoshi, with my many years as a game designer and game market/trend expert, I wouldn't bank on that. Just saying, there are so many other resources and options that would KEEP players playing while slowing adding new ones after the initial release. Are you someone who won't buy the game if it doesn't have a sweet PvP? I mean, this just isn't that game. I don't think it will be and I really don't think it should be, if it does, Ill hang my bow and make people dance for gil in the street. Like IKickYoDog said.

As for me being "ignorant" thank you for misreading my post and directly attacking me as a person. Moving on...




#34 May 31 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
It would only work if the 3 nations were at war. They don't seem to be, so I'm not sure how it would really fit outside of arena/battleground competitions. I've always played on PvP servers in other MMOs myself, but I think it would go against the grain of this one.

Also as Ikick was saying, the balancing would be a nightmare. Imagine how angry everyone would be if there was wPvP in FFXI? Rangers and Black Mages would completely dominate everyone. Select target, start casting Thunder V, boom. Then they'd have to nerf magic. Then all the BLM would cry. etc. etc.

Quote:
I also don't think people will flock to a game just because it has PvP.


This brings up a couple questions:
1. Would it bring in more people than it would alienate?
2. Would it ever even draw enough to have tournaments and things of that nature.

The answer to both is most likely, no. I'm super excited for this game, but it just doesn't have the sort of "twitch" combat system necessary for competitive PvP. They've made improvements over XI, but it's still nowhere near as fast or stun happy as competitive PvP MMOs. It does however, seem perfect for PvE.

Edited, May 31st 2013 2:48pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#35 May 31 2013 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Some background on my past games.. I played on pvp servers on wow , tera, swtor, rift and more. I LOVE pvp. But for this game I would hate open world pvp. And for people who say well there would be pvp servers and pve servers.. if you look at most MMO's the pvp server have fewer players in them. Also to have to balance game play around open world pvp would take up time for other things to be fixed or worked on.

If they add Battlegrounds I would be happy but its not needed. 5vs5 is good enough for me I loved wow arena.
#36 May 31 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
Would be nice to see a zone like wintergrasp from WoW in FF14, where grand companies can have staged/training warfare, but World pvp.. No thanks, then SE would be forced to tweek classes all the time, just look at WoW; only certain specs are considered good/must have, waste of time and resources to try balance it all the time :P
#37 May 31 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Nobody cares about blitzball, nor about chocobo racing, they are good little additions, but nothing groundbraking that would bring millions of people flooding into the game... Unlike PVP :)

PVP is not a mini game... There are entire games dedicated to it, a whole scene, and tournaments going world wide around it... To compare it to blitzball is... Well ignorant ?

Also blitzball is not a FF minigame, it was in one FF... Triple triad sure!



By "nobody cares" do you mean you or do you speak for many people on this forum and communities around the world?

I also don't think people will flock to a game just because it has PvP. If I was Yoshi, with my many years as a game designer and game market/trend expert, I wouldn't bank on that. Just saying, there are so many other resources and options that would KEEP players playing while slowing adding new ones after the initial release. Are you someone who won't buy the game if it doesn't have a sweet PvP? I mean, this just isn't that game. I don't think it will be and I really don't think it should be, if it does, Ill hang my bow and make people dance for gil in the street. Like IKickYoDog said.

As for me being "ignorant" thank you for misreading my post and directly attacking me as a person. Moving on...


Oh i am sorry, please do mention the games that have been successful because of Blitzball...... Or Triple Triad ? Oh none you say ? Well that seems like an important fact to leave out does it not ? PVP is a Vital! Vital element of a modern MMO! Chocobo racing is garbage, it was garbage when they first created it and it only sold 300K units.... Which sounds like a waste of resources from SE part Anyways!

Also i did not call you ignorant so do not even go there, i said that to compare blitzball to pvp was Ignorant. And it is, why waste resources into something that first off nobody cares about, and second will not bring consumers into your game in droves, this is an MMO, it needs subscriptions to survive, the PVP population in MMO is huge, why not bring some of them in ? I am sure pvpers outnumber blitzball fans by 50 to 1.

Also this notion that PVP does not fit into a Final Fantasy Game, because of immersion and realism... Let's be real... It's stupid to believe that in erozea, there are no thieves, no burglars, no kinapers, no assasins, no murderers, no traitors, no rivarly no nothing, the only way you can be killed is by either monsters or the imperial army ? REALLY ? Come on!
____________________________
MUTED
#38 May 31 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
IKickYoDog wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Nobody cares about blitzball, nor about chocobo racing, they are good little additions, but nothing groundbraking that would bring millions of people flooding into the game... Unlike PVP :)

PVP is not a mini game... There are entire games dedicated to it, a whole scene, and tournaments going world wide around it... To compare it to blitzball is... Well ignorant ?


I don't believe he was comparing a mini-game to PvP apples-to-apples. I think he was saying that rather than devote resources to something major like PvP, he would rather see a bunch of mini-games developed instead.

Regarding the idea of open-world PvP in ARR, I'm with most other people here in not wanting to see it. I'm fine with some sort of arena setup, but games with a lot of open-world PvP tend to lead towards a less mature audience overall in my experience. As an example, DCUO had a terrible community, even during the 1st year that it was P2P. World chat spammed with trash-talk, people leveling up solely to run around ganking people, etc. I found it to be a mess. Even the forums are different. Every other thread there was some sort of ******* contest, with the words noob, trash, crap, lame, loser, and pu**y getting more than their money's worth of use.

Here on the FF forums, whether it's XI or XIV, it's MUCH more civilized. Yes there are disagreement from time to time (see all the "delve is ruining the game" threads in XI), but there are actual in-depth discussions about mechanics, development, and even off-topic stuff. I come to games like FF to get away from the 14 year old mouth-breathers who are taking a break from trying to rank up in CoD. Who I seem to run into quite often in PvP-centric games.

I also detest the balancing act all developers inevitably fall into between PvP and PvE scenarios. Support classes complain that they are easy targets and can't do any damage in PvP, so the DD get nerfed. Then the DD don't do enough damage to keep up with PvE content, so one particular DD class gets buffed. Then all the other DD say eff it and lvl tanks/healers, then complain that support jobs buff the one special DD to God-mode and can't compete.

I understand why people who like PvP like it as much as they do. I think it's great for them and am glad they have a multitude of games to choose for such activities. I, personally, would like to have one major title that stays away from PvP that I can enjoy. If SE decides to make ARR more PvP heavy in the future, I will most likely quit the game. I won't throw a fit about it, I'll simply give all my gear away and /cancel account.


Yoshi P has already stated that balance wont be an issue, PVE and PVP abilities will not be the same, so balancing for PVE will not affect PVP balance.

Also this notion that XI and XIV communities are holier than the rest is false, they seem better because if you compared it with other communities that are 3-10 times it's size, it will obviously look like our community is better, in reality is not, we all get ******** and douches, drama and nonsense, no community is better than others.
____________________________
MUTED
#39 May 31 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Ostia wrote:
Also i did not call you ignorant so do not even go there, i said that to compare blitzball to pvp was Ignorant.


He wasn't comparing the two. He said time could be better spent on games like blitzball and chocobo racing/raising. And in terms of the Final Fantasy Universe, he's probably correct. I don't think that anyone's trying to argue that PvP isn't important in a lot of mmo's, or that it has millions of fans worldwide. If they were, they'd clearly be incorrect. But for a Final Fantasy mmo, PvP has always been on the backburner compared to PvE, and I think it's fair to say that most fans of the series like it that way. There are tons of games devoted solely to PvP, or have PvP as a big part of their gameplay. A Final Fantasy game just probably won't ever be one of them.

And no, I'm not saying that's necessarily a good or bad decision, just that's how it is. They'd alienate a huge chunk of their current fanbase by making PvP as important as PvE in the game. It's just that simple.
#40 May 31 2013 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm not anti-PVP, but why focus too much energy on something that's just not seriously a part of Final Fantasy?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#41 May 31 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Since we are talking FF and PVP, just look at FF XI. It has a couple of types of PVP in it. They were pretty popular at first, then people stopped doing it all together.
The reasons why they stopped were because of how they were implemented, not because it was PVP. With that said, I think FF fans liked the controlled PVP, but would most likely not like open world PVP, as long as they are ok with the restrictions.
____________________________

#42 May 31 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
In theory it's never a bad idea to provide more options to players. In practice they'd have to consider the return on investment by contrasting the developmental resources to player demand.

Honestly I doubt the demand is worth it, and moreover, I doubt they could do it well because of the way they've taken a PvE balancing approach. If they had been smart and balanced the classes for PvP first and then designed the PvE encounters around that, it could have been a great idea. At this point, it's unrealistic.

And also, is plain unlikely given the Japanese FF culture.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#43 May 31 2013 at 2:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Because there are a lot of people that are into PVP. I don't like open world pvp i admit. I would agree though that if there was a way to implement it in the game (story wise) and make pvp servers SE should do it. Its a choice a lot of MMOs have because pvp is a big part of them now days. I don't know how many would join them and to be honest don't care since i don't like as i said open world pvp.

Putting that aside i love the arena pvp and yes i wouldn't mind a windergrasp like pvp as well.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#44 May 31 2013 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
Ostia wrote:
IKickYoDog wrote:
I said some stuff


Yoshi P has already stated that balance wont be an issue, PVE and PVP abilities will not be the same, so balancing for PVE will not affect PVP balance.

Also this notion that XI and XIV communities are holier than the rest is false, they seem better because if you compared it with other communities that are 3-10 times it's size, it will obviously look like our community is better, in reality is not, we all get @#%^s and douches, drama and nonsense, no community is better than others.


I was not trying to imply that FF has the holy grail of communities, as I pointed out about the XI forums. Those threads I mentioned about Delve have some pure vitriol in them.

As for balance, you may be right, but I don't remember that particular quote. I'll leave it to you to go find it on your own to prove your point.

I will also point out that you have a remarkable talent for putting words into other peoples' mouths that is only matched by your ability to take words out of your own. see: "FF coomunity is holier than thou" and "PvP vs Blitzball is ignorant."
____________________________
Our team is like a flock of woodpeckers in a petrified forest. We just need to keep working and keep an eye open for opportunity.

FFXI
Toofar - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - WHM BLM SMN
Rafoot - Asura (Formerly of Lakshmi (Garuda)) - THF SAM BRD
#45 May 31 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
I found it lame in woW that some *** could just run by and one shot me for fun. I wouldn't play a game like that period
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#46 May 31 2013 at 3:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Actually, I do remember him saying that the classes would be balanced differently for PvE than PvP, which is also a fair enough way to do it. At least it's probably the best retroactive adjustment they could make to include something like world PvP. In consideration of that, I think they should have included it. They won't have it by release and I doubt that it would be worth it to add after launch, though.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#47 May 31 2013 at 3:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
If they had been smart and balanced the classes for PvP first and then designed the PvE encounters around that, it could have been a great idea.


Therein lies the problem... I'd so much rather have them build the game solely upon PvE encounters, and then have instances/areas for PvP, but without PvP dictating any of the actual game. Massive PvP is just not part of the DNA of Final Fantasy. When I think of PvP games, I think of things like Guild Wars or WoW. When I think of Final Fantasy, I think of party play, teamwork and shared goals.

There is tremendous value to be had in Square Enix sticking with its roots. I can't think of another gaming franchise that's so well-know and revered for its emphasis on party play.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#48 May 31 2013 at 3:19 PM Rating: Decent
lolgaxe wrote:
"It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy" must be code for "I don't have the faith to believe the writers can come up with a scenario that makes PVP interesting, nor the imagination to come up with it myself." The only things that make a Final Fantasy game "feel" like a Final Fantasy game are similarly named objects and the title. I'm not a fan of PVP either, but let's come up with some realistic arguments like catwho and huhwhat presented.
Ok, you want me to argue that this is a valid point?

Name me one FF title that you play as a villain with a storyline set of missions or has a moral choice system. The player's story has always been one where they are the heroes challenging the forces of evil, even if they did not see eye to eye. Unlike other games in this space, Final Fantasy has a bunch of hallmark characteristics, from the crystals to the job system to world elements like Chocobos. Asking them to shelve that tradition in favour of embracing a popular ideal is just selling out the franchise. That would like WoW being PvE only, since it's own backstory is about warring societies.

There's a difference between could and should. Could the writers come up with just cause for players to be at outright war? Yea, that's relatively easy. Should they come up with that? No, because that runs directly in opposition of the creed of the franchise. Look at FFXI. In the meetings with the nations, they are constantly sniping, and taking verbal swings at one another. But, when push comes to shove, they put aside their differences and realize that they need to work together to fight against the evils in the world.

Sure, their plan is to just make a random adventurer with shifting loyalties their chosen hero, but I never said they were all that bright...

So you might just come back and say to me, "Well Pawk, let the franchise evolve. It doesn't always have to be all about PvE!!!" Let me ask you something:

- Did Dead Space 3 benefit from going from a tense, horror thriller in 1 to becoming generic cover-based shooter?
- Did Assassin's Creed benefit from incorporating tower defense into its gameplay instead of sticking to assassinations?
- Did Mass Effect 3 benefit from taking away all form of true choice in its ending sequence, despite it being a hallmark of the series?

Answer: No, they didn't. They diluted the experience, left players feeling cheated, and in the end did nothing to really benefit the game as a whole, or breathe new life into the series. They felt like remnants from another game being shoehorned into this other experience. Like that one stealth mission in your favourite run-and-gun action game.

So when people say "It doesn't feel like Final Fantasy", they mean "This series has never been about PvP, or playing the villain within the cannon of the story, it's always about reconciliation, redemption, and overcoming adversity by coming together, not by fighting among ourselves."
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#49 May 31 2013 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
If they had been smart and balanced the classes for PvP first and then designed the PvE encounters around that, it could have been a great idea.


Therein lies the problem... I'd so much rather have them build the game solely upon PvE encounters, and then have instances/areas for PvP, but without PvP dictating any of the actual game. Massive PvP is just not part of the DNA of Final Fantasy. When I think of PvP games, I think of things like Guild Wars or WoW. When I think of Final Fantasy, I think of party play, teamwork and shared goals.

There is tremendous value to be had in Square Enix sticking with its roots. I can't think of another gaming franchise that's so well-know and revered for its emphasis on party play.


Actually it's just a bad design practice. In any multiplayer game you should always balance symmetrical elements like classes against one another to ensure that they are in fact symmetrically balanced before you create asymmetric devices like monster encounters. Failing to do so severely restricts your flexibility in designing PvE encounters and lends itself to tons of balance problems down the line. (Such as certain classes being almost universally desirable while others having very little demand.)
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#50 May 31 2013 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Kachi wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
If they had been smart and balanced the classes for PvP first and then designed the PvE encounters around that, it could have been a great idea.


Therein lies the problem... I'd so much rather have them build the game solely upon PvE encounters, and then have instances/areas for PvP, but without PvP dictating any of the actual game. Massive PvP is just not part of the DNA of Final Fantasy. When I think of PvP games, I think of things like Guild Wars or WoW. When I think of Final Fantasy, I think of party play, teamwork and shared goals.

There is tremendous value to be had in Square Enix sticking with its roots. I can't think of another gaming franchise that's so well-know and revered for its emphasis on party play.


Actually it's just a bad design practice. In any multiplayer game you should always balance symmetrical elements like classes against one another to ensure that they are in fact symmetrically balanced before you create asymmetric devices like monster encounters. Failing to do so severely restricts your flexibility in designing PvE encounters and lends itself to tons of balance problems down the line. (Such as certain classes being almost universally desirable while others having very little demand.)


No, it's not just bad design practice always. Classes absolutely do not have to be balanced perfectly, mainly because there are distinct roles for each class in FF games. A whm SHOULD lose almost religiously to a damage dealer in most 1 on 1 encounters, because that's not the role of a whm. It's role in Final Fantasy games is to play backline healer and buffer. Finding the niche for each class is far more important imo than making them perfectly balanced against all other classes. I don't want my whms to have good DD capabilities just so that they are balanced for PvP. I don't want my blms to have good defensive ability just so that they don't get 1 or 2 shotted by a good melee.

In some games, where PvP is the focus, you're absolutely right that balancing classes against one another is crucial, but for a game like FFXI or FFXIV or any game where PvE is the clear main focus, class balance against each other is a moot point and is actually counter-intuitive. Balance the classes for PvE content. If you want PvP, make the abilities separate and balance them that way like it seems will be the case for XIV.
#51 May 31 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
No, it's not just bad design practice always. Classes absolutely do not have to be balanced perfectly, mainly because there are distinct roles for each class in FF games. A whm SHOULD lose almost religiously to a damage dealer in most 1 on 1 encounters, because that's not the role of a whm.


Couldn't have said it better myself.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 76 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (74)