Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

FFXIV or FFXI-2 [Which would you prefer]Follow

#1 May 31 2013 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
83 posts
Serious question, which would you have preferred? The new iteration FFXIV ARR or Final Fantasy XI-2?

I think if they updated the graphics, the UI and spent more time creating meaningful content then FFXI-2 would have been an amazing game. Clearly they would have to remove some things from the current FFXI like the dreaded Gusgan leveling and maybe a few things that spoiled the game. [getting back to the root of what made ffxi so popular]

I'd like to hear your thoughts because I think a lot of you would have much preferred an updated FFXI. Also, it makes little sense, in my eyes anyway, for them to create ANOTHER MMORPG, when they already have one. Why clutter and disturb your already thriving fan-base?







Edited, May 31st 2013 9:03pm by chrisatron
____________________________
---Everything in it's right place-----
#2 May 31 2013 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,010 posts
chrisatron wrote:
Also, it makes little sense, in my eyes anyway, for them to create ANOTHER MMORPG, when they already have one. Why clutter and disturb your already thriving fan-base?


Because Final Fantasy XI is over 10 years old and extremely outdated, as good as it may be. To answer your question I would rather have XIV. You have to move on sometime...

Edited, May 31st 2013 9:07pm by BrokenFox
#3 May 31 2013 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
83 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
chrisatron wrote:
Also, it makes little sense, in my eyes anyway, for them to create ANOTHER MMORPG, when they already have one. Why clutter and disturb your already thriving fan-base?


Because Final Fantasy XI is over 10 years old and extremely outdated, as good as it may be. To answer your question I would rather have XIV.



Well yeah, but I meant an updated version, a new game based around FFXI, basically a massive overhaul. One that would take the time it's taken them to create ffxiv. Something that would bring it up to date with the current and next generation but leave the same values in-tact.
____________________________
---Everything in it's right place-----
#4 May 31 2013 at 7:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
After the failure that was 1.0, I doubt Square-Enix will be looking into the MMO market again after 2.0 launches. It's too late to be asking this question.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#5 May 31 2013 at 7:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
153 posts
Its hard to make the distinction. In many ways FFXIV can be considered a complete overhaul over FFXI no?
____________________________
AIM: offthachain
Playonline: Onineko
Sever: Carbuncle
#6 May 31 2013 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
374 posts
chrisatron wrote:
Serious question, which would you have preferred? The new iteration FFXIV ARR or Final Fantasy XI-2?

I think if they updated the graphics, the UI and spent more time creating meaningful content then FFXI-2 would have been an amazing game. Clearly they would have to remove some things from the current FFXI like the dreaded Gusgan leveling and maybe a few things that spoiled the game. [getting back to the root of what made ffxi so popular]

I'd like to hear your thoughts because I think a lot of you would have much preferred an updated FFXI. Also, it makes little sense, in my eyes anyway, for them to create ANOTHER MMORPG, when they already have one. Why clutter and disturb your already thriving fan-base?



It's all personal preference but I much prefer the community centric play of XI to that of XIV... so personally I would prefer XI-2




Edited, May 31st 2013 9:03pm by chrisatron

#7 May 31 2013 at 7:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
Atkascha wrote:
After the failure that was 1.0, I doubt Square-Enix will be looking into the MMO market again after 2.0 launches. It's too late to be asking this question.


I don't think that is true. MMOs were the best thing to happen to gaming companies. It creates a steady stream of revenue. If anything more MMOs will be in SEs future. If not in the next year I would say soon.
____________________________



#8 May 31 2013 at 7:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
XIV here. I'm loving where this game is going.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 May 31 2013 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
kainsilv wrote:
Atkascha wrote:
After the failure that was 1.0, I doubt Square-Enix will be looking into the MMO market again after 2.0 launches. It's too late to be asking this question.


I don't think that is true. MMOs were the best thing to happen to gaming companies. It creates a steady stream of revenue. If anything more MMOs will be in SEs future. If not in the next year I would say soon.


I agree that MMOs are profitable, but S-E has tarnished their reputation in that regard. I wouldn't say that it's a good idea for them to look into the market again any time soon. If they can focus on rebuilding FFXIV and making it a success, that will be a start.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#10 May 31 2013 at 7:43 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,202 posts
Since we have not seen the finished product that XIV will be, it's kind of unfair to compare, or to even ask, all we have to go by is little tibits of information regarding ARR, that is hardly enough data to compare XI and XIV.
____________________________
MUTED
#11 May 31 2013 at 7:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Since we have not seen the finished product that XIV will be, it's kind of unfair to compare, or to even ask, all we have to go by is little tibits of information regarding ARR, that is hardly enough data to compare XI and XIV.


Thank you for that, 5 rate ups from me Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 May 31 2013 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
FFXIV is shaping up to be far better than anything they could have done if pigeon holed into a direct FFXI sequel. I vote for what we are getting: FFXIV
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#13 May 31 2013 at 8:26 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
FFXIV is shaping up to be far better than anything they could have done if pigeon holed into a direct FFXI sequel. I vote for what we are getting: FFXIV


Well not to contradict you just for the sake of contradicting you, but XI was a solid title for it's day, it's only fault was not being able to visualize what the market could be, when it was in development, or in other words, not being as successful as WOW was because WOW had a pulse in the market.

An overhauled XI, could do as good as XI did in it's time, but certainly some aspects of the game would have to be changed for it to be successful, i personally was hoping for a more XI approach in XIV as far as party dynamics, but again, since we have had so little information regarding this, for all i know, the finished product would address this in the way i envisioned.

I truly believe a sequel to XI could work if managed properly. But that is a big IF.
____________________________
MUTED
#14 May 31 2013 at 8:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
When I first loaded FFXI on PC and tried to move or do stuff, I couldn't. I was trying to use WASD to move but nothing was happening.

It took me an hour to set up the camera, the buttons and layout before I was able to move around comfortably.

So I'd say that's one thing FFXIV is going to have an advantage over FFXI at the start, lol.

---

Seriously, FFXI was good for its time, but has run its course. Although I'd like to see some things carried over from FFXI, FFXIV needs to carry the torch and hopefully make its own lengthy path.
#15 May 31 2013 at 8:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
So you want...

FFXI: ARR?

FFXI is still going. They just added an expansion. However, you can't take back what's been done. Abyssea killed that game for me. You can't overhaul it and remove features that made the game what it is right now, not with that game anyway.

FFXIV on the other had was dead the second the gates opened. It took waht 6 months for them to admit they tried to kill themselves? At one year they said they were redoing the whole thing, right? So its different. As far as I'm concerned, FFXIV: ARR is a new game. I just so happen to have a charcter that got to move with me. Games do that all the time, .Hack did it from game 1 to 4.

So answer the question. I want FFXIV: ARR.
#16 May 31 2013 at 8:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
FFXIV.

There are some (player) cultural parts to the FFXI game that I don't feel comfortable about, and some of it developed because of how the game was designed, IMO.

The continent of countless colibri carnage didn't help either.
#17 May 31 2013 at 9:01 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Final Fantasy XIV.

If I have to make one more mid-battle gear swapping macro, I'm gonna lose it.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#18 May 31 2013 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Ostia wrote:
Well not to contradict you just for the sake of contradicting you, but XI was a solid title for it's day, it's only fault was not being able to visualize what the market could be, when it was in development, or in other words, not being as successful as WOW was because WOW had a pulse in the market.


Interesting perspective, and it does make a lot of sense. Blizzard already had mmo-like games in the market and better understood what would work.

As far as this question goes, FFXIV. I loved XI back in the day, but I want something new. I want a new world, new storyline, new everything. It's the same reason I always liked that every iteration of FF was a new world...until they started ruining that around the time X-2 came out. Smiley: bah Just go back to making new original games SE! Oh, and stop making them so freakin linear.
#19 May 31 2013 at 9:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
340 posts
Gotta go with 14. Asheron's Call & Everquest both tried to go with a newer version and nostalgia and technology didn't work well. Part of an old game being fun is that you accept questionable development because it was "good at the time."
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#20 May 31 2013 at 9:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,122 posts
I just want a game that is even better than XI. A game world that can top Vana D'iel.

I have no idea what XIV will be like in 10 years, if it's still around. I can only hope we'll look back on it as a classic, as opposed to most of the moderately successful post-WoW MMOs which I doubt will be.

Edited, Jun 1st 2013 12:03am by Dizmo
#21 May 31 2013 at 10:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm still trying to play XI so XI-2 would have been a bit... annoying.

XIV is cool.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#22 May 31 2013 at 10:22 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,928 posts
XI-2 because id prefer the hardcore approach over the casual/make everything instanced approach
#23 Jun 01 2013 at 4:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts

DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
XI-2 because I'd prefer the hardcore approach over the casual/make everything instanced approach


I have to agree and disagree here.

I agree because making the game hardcore, creating an addiction, creating the need for others will create an atmosphere that is unique and lives and breathes based on the people who play it. FFXI in the early years.

I disagree because, someone spoke on this elsewhere, one of the demographics that SE is marketing too has aged. I'm sorry to say it but there are a lot of us on here that are old now. I was 20 years old when I started playing FFXI. My life style is completely different now. Nostalgia of what was is cool but if FFXIV is anything like what FFXI was from 2003-2009, there is no way I would be playing very long. I can't sit for 30min waiting for a party, wait for another 30 to get started because the camp we went to was taken, only to have someone say they have to go 15min later.

There should be a hardcore element, which there will be but I think those hardcore players will probably be playing what I consider casual at a hardcore level. Where I can use duty finder and play one or two rounds, you can have a static and do it a handful of times and it will still feel like you are going nuts.

Does that make sense?
#24 Jun 01 2013 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
262 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
XI-2 because id prefer the hardcore approach over the casual/make everything instanced approach


I definitely want that feeling of exploration and comradery with a LS full of friends again, but there is no way with the responsibilities I have nowadays that I could devote the amount of time that was necessary to progress at all in XI. I want challenge, but I want the mobs we're going to face to be challenging. Not getting the party together and waiting 30 mins to an hour type of challenge.
#25 Jun 01 2013 at 7:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
I played 11 when it came out and loved it.. but I have to say it ate up my childhood lol. Come home from school play 11 till bed time. If they made a ff11 remake.. it would prolly act and play like ffxiv arr. There is no way they would revamp ff11 and still use the same play style. If they did attempt it I think they would be shooting ARR in the foot. As it is they would prolly want to merge ff11 players into arr so that they can phase out ff11 down the road.

Most of the people i played with in ff11 recently are gonna try ARR and all seemed alittle tierd of the grind. As many people have said were getting older and we cant spend all day looking for a group or 4 hours + in a party to get something done. This leads to my main point of ARR is a upgraded ff11, they fixed the time looking for groups they fixed the time to get things done and they kept the great story lines and side jobs.
#26 Jun 01 2013 at 7:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
660 posts
I agree with the notion here that XIV should have the hardcore aspect of challenging content without the timesinks. I detested the sluggishness of XI in getting a solid group together. That wasn't hardcore to me, it was a pain. If that can be eliminated with the Duty/Content Finder and still have the option of content along the lines of AV, pre-Abyssea Sky/Sea, etc., then this game will keep my attention for a long time to come.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#27 Jun 01 2013 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
****
4,928 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:

DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
XI-2 because I'd prefer the hardcore approach over the casual/make everything instanced approach


I have to agree and disagree here.

I agree because making the game hardcore, creating an addiction, creating the need for others will create an atmosphere that is unique and lives and breathes based on the people who play it. FFXI in the early years.

I disagree because, someone spoke on this elsewhere, one of the demographics that SE is marketing too has aged. I'm sorry to say it but there are a lot of us on here that are old now. I was 20 years old when I started playing FFXI. My life style is completely different now. Nostalgia of what was is cool but if FFXIV is anything like what FFXI was from 2003-2009, there is no way I would be playing very long. I can't sit for 30min waiting for a party, wait for another 30 to get started because the camp we went to was taken, only to have someone say they have to go 15min later.

There should be a hardcore element, which there will be but I think those hardcore players will probably be playing what I consider casual at a hardcore level. Where I can use duty finder and play one or two rounds, you can have a static and do it a handful of times and it will still feel like you are going nuts.

Does that make sense?




while youre right.. I was in my 20s when i played FFXI and dindt work.. Im 30 now and work so whereas in FFXI I literal played 8+ hours a day everyday.... Id maybe get 3-4 hours a day on it on my work days and then my 12+ hour sessions on my 2 days off.. so i wouldnt get stuff done half as fast now in a game like FFXI then I did 10 years ago.. but thats fine... I expect that in an mmo thus Id deal with it/be perfectly ok with it, the friends and bonds i make ingame would be worth it.. something you usually dont get in casual/solo friendly mmos... sure yo get a few ppl wholl do a raid with you you to get what they want and once they do you never see em again... but youll never experience being that noob high up in the mountains leveling when night falls (in game) then undead start killing you only for some semi hi level person to come from nowhere and start healing you right when you were about to die.. save your life and your friends in game for years to come (with you eventually becoming high level yourself and saving his.her **** many times over like he/she did for you all those years ago back when you were a newb and could barely defend yourself, and now the two of you are on the same level/equal and kicking **** side by side...

i dont expect a game like dcuo, wow or ffxiv to give me that... will i will like it without a doubt im sure itll never replace the love i have for ffxi (unless ffxiv decides to start making things difficult an hard to achieve (a mean a game being solo friendly means the likelyhood if you getting your **** kicked while leveling is extremely low (unless of course you wandered off to an area you already KNEW you were freetoo low to be in)
#28 Jun 01 2013 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
30 posts
FFXIV for me.

I think FFXI-2 even though it sounds good wouldn't be able to deliver once the final product would be released. This is in part because there are going to be aspects from FFXI that a particular player might love that don't make it over to FFXI-2 and vice versa. There is no way the developers can appease everyone in that regard. The fact that FFXI is also still doing well would make this question more viable when FFXI is about to go under or the servers have gone offline for good.

With how FFXIV is shaping up its possible more of FFXI may make its way into the game as FFXI ages. That could be good or bad and only time will tell. As a new title and not a sequel FFXIV alleviates some of the weight on the player in a FFXI - FFXI-2 comparison scenario. This allows more focus to be placed on the fact that it is a new numbered title in the Final Fantasy series.
____________________________
Striving to help the world ~ One N/PC at a time.
#29 Jun 01 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Seems to me like this really all assumes so many unaccounted for variables that there's no way to answer this question without letting your imagination run wild. If anything, it's probably a better test of bias towards either game.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#30 Jun 01 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
I LOVED FFxi. I've been a hardcore gamer for decades. Why did I leave?

Linkshells broke up, gil was stolen. Parties were sometimes hard to get. I leveled up many jobs. I fished, cooked, mined, farmed and stayed up all night. Mostly it was fun, but a lot of times it was a grind.

I had more gil than I knew what to do with it. (walked away with 4 million just sitting there...)

What I didn't like, was the amount of ex-cons in the game. For whatever reason, my server was filled with them. The language used was crass, and there was always a scam going on. WTF!!! Newbies were ripped off left and right. There were underage
kids playing.

Yes, unreformed ex-cons and underage kids. Sorry, wasn't fun after a while. Many people I knew just left, like it was a mass exit.
And of course the hacking ruined it. PC players vs ps2. How can you compete?

Grandmomma

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#31 Jun 01 2013 at 11:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
ARR because as much as I loved the experiences I had in FFXI. The combat was terrible and the game had too many roadblocks.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#32 Jun 02 2013 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
*
134 posts
I prefer ARR , now if SE gotten rid of the massive alliance book burns parties and made it were Abby was set up to were only lvl 75 and up were only allowed to enter for FF 11 then maybe 11 will last longer.
____________________________
Plus you need people of intelligence for this sort of
mission...quest...thing."-Pippin
"Well that rules you out Pip."-Merry
"Nine Companions. And so you shall be The Fellowship of the Ring."-Elrond
"Great...so..where're we goin?"-Pippin

#33 Jun 02 2013 at 9:43 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I agree on the 75+ thing but alliance exp was the best ******* thing that ever happened to FFXI.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#34 Jun 02 2013 at 11:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
175 posts
Well considering XIV is everything if not in name FFXI-2 I don't really understand the question... Same races just with new names. Capitols that mirror (but not fully copy) the XI nation capitols. Even the little information released about story npcs have undertones from major npcs in XI. Not that I'm complaining XI was brilliant. (Until they killed the party concept and let burn parties rule all) I'm sure there will be some who wanna argue this point but facts are facts. lol
____________________________
Gothos 75 SMN 75 WHM 68 COR 65SAM ~FFXI (Valefor)
80 Warlock - 80 Priest - 80 Shaman WoW (Moon Guard)
#35 Jun 03 2013 at 7:16 AM Rating: Decent
*
134 posts
AMEN Valeforelacky!!!!! I couldn't agree more. The book burn conversation is a hot topic button. On the 11 board one person started to get rather ugly to me about it and I called him out on it and I would rather not start that here.
____________________________
Plus you need people of intelligence for this sort of
mission...quest...thing."-Pippin
"Well that rules you out Pip."-Merry
"Nine Companions. And so you shall be The Fellowship of the Ring."-Elrond
"Great...so..where're we goin?"-Pippin

#36 Jun 03 2013 at 7:21 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
660 posts
I think it's a lost cause trying to tell anyone on the FFXI forums that the way the game works is abysmal. Even mentioning that you're looking forward to XIV will probably get you rated down at the very least. I wouldn't bother.

edit: Catwho is the only FFXI enthusiast I know of that is actually reasonable about the game's assets and flaws.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 8:23am by Atkascha
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#37 Jun 03 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
*
134 posts
So true Atkascha. It is kinda sad really when you think about it. What I don't understand from what I have seen I am not the only person that misses the old school parties and I do take a stand nicely when I in the game. And why would the other people that miss it not take part in the books and look for parties and start them.
____________________________
Plus you need people of intelligence for this sort of
mission...quest...thing."-Pippin
"Well that rules you out Pip."-Merry
"Nine Companions. And so you shall be The Fellowship of the Ring."-Elrond
"Great...so..where're we goin?"-Pippin

#38 Jun 03 2013 at 8:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I do miss the 6 man parties. Watching a THF+tank+DD/WAR set up and execute a perfect SATA + Voke to plant hate for the duration of a fight? Priceless. I have as many fond memories of crawler's nest and as many nightmares about Garliage Citadel as everyone else.

What I don't miss is standing around for 2-3 hours to build that party, only to get 1 hour of actual exp in. The 18 man alliance doesn't have the brilliant balance of a 6 man party, but it's drop-in and they're running 24 hours a day in some of the dungeons. Instead of shouting for a healer for 2 hours, you just go to the dungeon, flag up, and exp for those two hours.

Thank you for the compliment, Atkascha. I think it's because I've played steadily since 2004. I've never stopped playing for any longer than 2 weeks for vacation or crunch time at school. I ran a major endgame linkshell for four years, I've leveled 20 jobs (working on 21), I've burned through 90% of the content in the game at some point. So I've seen everything that people say about XI up close and first hand, both good and bad. The difference is that I continued to find enjoyment in the game, adapting the way I played it rather than just complaining about how much I missed the old days.

I sincerely hope that everyone finds the magic that they miss about XI in ARR.

Edited, Jun 3rd 2013 10:27am by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#39 Jun 03 2013 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I think part of the issue is that traditional XP parties were such a mixed bag. The good ones were amazing, but the bad ones were just god awful. It basically required you to have a very good tank, a very good healer, and 3-4 adequate DD to make it work effectively. There is a lot more room for error when mobs are just spinning from player to player and most of their potential damage is just blinked away.

I'm not saying that makes it more fun necessarily, as I had some tremendously fun traditional style parties, but it's more consistent and less likely to cause Smiley: banghead in my experiences.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#40 Jun 03 2013 at 8:26 AM Rating: Decent
*
134 posts
At least there are things that I can do in 11 like soloing and fishing and such. I hope there is going to be a bunch of things to do in ARR while a player is looking for parties.
____________________________
Plus you need people of intelligence for this sort of
mission...quest...thing."-Pippin
"Well that rules you out Pip."-Merry
"Nine Companions. And so you shall be The Fellowship of the Ring."-Elrond
"Great...so..where're we goin?"-Pippin

#41 Jun 03 2013 at 9:17 AM Rating: Good
ARR, if I wanted to play XI I would play XI. I do have the same love/hate relationship with 6 man parties like everyone else it seems. The thing I hated most was the job elitism. I understand that some jobs are more desirable than others in a party setting but since my main was a hybrid job (DNC) I never got an invite. It was like being the only kid not picked for dodge ball. I gave up after a while and soloed my way to 75. When I started meriting I was invited to parties with my social LS, and they were amazed at my versatility. In quite a few of those parties I would tank and main heal. My RDM and PLD buddies were thrilled because they got to straight DD which never happened. I just hated how ppl just assumed I would be useless in a party because I didn't have X job and wouldn't give me a chance to prove otherwise.
#42 Jun 03 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Oh yeah, job elitism... I leveled Bard because I actually enjoy being a support class. I've had a few merit party leaders act surprised that I was willing to merit in pre-ToAU zones when the Thickets/Nyzul Isle were full. It was silly how they expected me to be a Princess Bard just because they met so many of them. On the other end of the spectrum, finding parties as PLD was a pain in those days. I always led my own because I knew I'd just get passed over for NINs.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#43 Jun 03 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
61 posts
I loved XI , and I wish I played it longer than I did (5 or 6 years). However I'm ready for XIV. I do hope that there is a hardcore element that's boring and tedious for endgame, something not everyone will be willing to do like meriting. Just a way to make your character or favorite jobs a little bit stronger than those whom haven't opted to do so.
#44 Jun 03 2013 at 12:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
79 posts
I would have to say ARR. Abyssea has killed FFXI for me at least. The way ARR is shaping up, it should be a game with just as many nostalgic as FFXI had for so many of us. Time to start anew and fresh
#45 Jun 03 2013 at 1:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
262 posts
Catwho wrote:
I sincerely hope that everyone finds the magic that they miss about XI in ARR.


This is what I'm looking for a thousand times over. I just hope I don't find out that the magic of XI for me was the masochism.
#46 Jun 03 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
30 posts
I have to agree with several other people who've posted in this thread. I loved FFXI when I first started playing it. I played it for a while and had a great time with all of my friends, until they stopped playing for whatever reasons. I have been looking for a long time for that magic again. Never found it, probably never will. I was hoping FFXIV 1.0 would do it, I cancelled my pre-order when all of my friends cancelled theirs after trying open beta. I've even tried to go back to FFXI, but all I see is the tedious grind. I got to level 99 and wondered...what to do? I look at emperyon and relic weapons and think, no way. There's no way I could do those grinds in any kind of time with research for my grad school program, hanging out with my girlfriend, teaching, etc. And this is even with them really nerfing the grind on those things.

The short of the long, I am actually getting pretty excited by what I hear of FFXIV ARR. Probably won't recapture that magic from the first time I played FFXI, but it looks like it will be a pretty cool game. I love the job system, always have, probably always will. And an MMO with said system? Fantastic. (SE really needs to release FFT: War of the Lions on the android over here, that would look so much better on my tablet than it does on my PSP).
#47 Jun 03 2013 at 4:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Hyrist the Red Mage of Windurst has ridden off into the sunset for me. Vandiel is a closed chapter in my RPG life that I really don't feel right in revisiting.

A Realm Reborn however, is just beginning, and I'm thoroughly excited about it. Will the swash-buckling mage make a return? That'll be up to Yoshida. When he instills Red Mage, it if fits, Hyrist sits. If Red Mage isn't a front line class, however, I'll likely pass on making the character again.

Otherwise I'm quite happy continuing the story of Lin Celestine a humble yet fierce in heart Dragoon who bore witness in what she genuinely thought was the end of days and survived to see the world still quite alive and vibrant. Being a Dragoon, I think it makes her personally invested in finding out what happened to the gigantic dragon that came out of Dalamud, and I'm rather enthralled with her right now.

But, my time as a Male Miqote in Gridania in the Beta has also charmed me in its own way. And I've got other characters I'll be quite interested in making as well.

In short, its Eorzea that's gotten me passionate about FFXIV, like FFXI did for years on end. I don't think I could go back to the old tales and old mechanics.
#48 Jun 03 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Decent
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Final Fantasy XIV.

If I have to make one more mid-battle gear swapping macro, I'm gonna lose it.


If they add gear swapping into XIV at any point I'll probably quit. As soon as you have the ability to do so the battle system focus becomes waaaaaaay more centered on maximization of numbers... and making sure you have the best piece for every slot for every ability you use. Otherwise, you're considered a gimp. This is even more pronounced in XI today then it ever was... and I don't want to participate in that again.

XIV seems to have a lot more casual systems... and also more lots of content that is possible with small groups, which at this stage in my life are features that I look for above all else. I don't have a bijillion hours to sink into an MMO anymore so I want to be able to accomplish things in my more limited time/with my close friends only (at least sometimes).
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#49 Jun 03 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Gear swapping not allowed:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/61870-Armoury-Chest?p=998705&viewfull=1#post998705
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#50 Jun 03 2013 at 6:53 PM Rating: Default
How about neither?

Why not strike out in a bold new direction?
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#51 Jun 03 2013 at 7:32 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
How about neither?

Why not strike out in a bold new direction?


Pretty sure that's what FFXIV 1.0 tried to do. Course, they also tried to be different just for the sake of being different, and basically ruined every facet of the game because of it. I'd rather have a game that uses systems that works and innovates through a unique story and adds some interesting gameplay elements.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 102 All times are in CDT
xizro, Anonymous Guests (101)