Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

What class/job will you main in ARR first? (poll request)Follow

#52 Jun 03 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
530 posts
In WoW main was a damage dealer and my alt was a healer. I'm going to reverse the order on FFXIV and go for White Mage first and then something after that.

Hoping that s specialty like healing will also allow me to find groups quicker.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#53 Jun 03 2013 at 9:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
61 posts
Roegadyn Warrior & Paladin
#54 Jun 03 2013 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
I think I'll continue where I left off and work on my THM, I also want to finish leveling everything up to 15 think I was pretty close to doing that as well. Other than that I just plan on exploring and goofing off, rushing in these kind of games tends to give me burn out earlier than I would like.
____________________________
#55 Jun 03 2013 at 10:45 PM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
BartelX wrote:
benjjjamin wrote:
Intetesting to see how many dedicated warriors there will be with it being a tank. I hope dark knight is a warrior branch in the future, because if warrior is a 2nd class DD and 2nd class tank, it'll just be a token dungeon job and situational guild pet.

Im worried about warrior in raiding.


I'll be really bummed if this is the case. I think rather, that warrior is going to be more of an AoE tank for adds, while paladin will be a straight up 1 on 1 tank. I could be wrong with that thinking, but isn't that basically how it worked in 1.0? Also, I'm hoping that if you gear it properly it will hold it's own in DPS, and again be a good DD for AoE situations.


Me too. An AoE tank for add phases is highly situational. And arguably a paladin with blm does the job better than warrior with whm. I played ffxi for years as you can tell lol....this is typically how endgame rationalizes utility.

And an AoE meleer slecialist has been tried. It always ends up being a limited version of some mage because of the hitbox. Mages will never let wars have higher pack dps to pay for short hit box. Other mmos have tried. Result is always the same.

They are pitching war's asset profile as a hybrid dd tank and melee AoE, with the expense of lowet stdps and damage mit. I haven't seen a worse prospective give and take profile since early thf and drg in ffxi. I fear the population will shun wars like they did those jobs in high end content.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#56 Jun 04 2013 at 12:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Teravibe wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
I see you tweaked the title, that makes more sense.

I got what you were asking, but if you like Black Mage and got it to 50, your Thaumaturge would hit 50 too.


I didn't tweak anything. I added (poll request) some time ago. Just because my BRD is 50 from my ARC though, doesn't mean I want to play it.


I don't understand why you would be an Archer but not a Bard? It's like playing a job in FFXI and not choosing a correct subjob just because you want to be different.



Well if i am getting this right then maybe cause you just don't like playing bard anymore.

I should really stop posting when i am half drunk cause i can't read at all.


Haha i really laughed hard this morning. How can a post like this be rated down hahaha, this is why i don't want the rate down faction. Don't really care if it is sub-default it but i would love to hear the opinion of the guy that didn't like it than a simple rate down. Smiley: lol

I guess someone doesn't like me drinking (i wonder if my girlfriend is posting in this forum...hmm nahhh)

Edited, Jun 4th 2013 2:24am by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#57 Jun 04 2013 at 6:25 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
Me too. An AoE tank for add phases is highly situational. And arguably a paladin with blm does the job better than warrior with whm. I played ffxi for years as you can tell lol....this is typically how endgame rationalizes utility.


Yes, but in FFXI, if you are still talking about warrior, it really wasn't meant to be a tank. Don't get me wrong, it COULD tank excellently. At the 75 cap I was our main tank for most sky Gods, including Kirin as a warrior (offtank on byakko just because of his nasty triples). Also, XI didn't really do adds the way XIV is doing them. Most battles in XI were 1 on 1. I don't necessarily think that will be the case in XIV, but we won't know until it goes live. Regardless, I think they'll still hold their own in pretty much all battles as a tank.

benjjjamin wrote:
And an AoE meleer slecialist has been tried. It always ends up being a limited version of some mage because of the hitbox. Mages will never let wars have higher pack dps to pay for short hit box. Other mmos have tried. Result is always the same.


Not true at all. Have you ever played lotro? Champion is a single target or AoE DD, much like what warrior will be, and it's basically the best damage dealer in the game. Same thing in swtor, where classes like gunslinger and bounty hunter have the ability to put out nice single target damage, or crazy AoE damage that easily rivals the mage DPS. I realize those aren't exactly melee, but they aren't mage classes either. If it's done right, it can be highly effective.

benjjjamin wrote:
They are pitching war's asset profile as a hybrid dd tank and melee AoE, with the expense of lowet stdps and damage mit. I haven't seen a worse prospective give and take profile since early thf and drg in ffxi. I fear the population will shun wars like they did those jobs in high end content.


Well, since the game hasn't launched yet, and warrior wasn't even available in the beta, everything you just said is complete conjecture. Maybe you're right, but as another poster pointed out, warrior in 1.0 was able to tank basically anything that a paladin was just as effectively save a couple battles, and also able to be a great DD when needed. So I'm a bit unsure where your logic is coming from.



Edited, Jun 4th 2013 8:26am by BartelX
#58 Jun 04 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
130 posts
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak. If they can survive better than dragoon or monk while dd'ing, dragoon and monk will be considered mana sinks in raid parties.

If what you say ends up being true, that will have implications for the usefulness of monks, dragoons, and paladins. Warrior can't have it all. The other jobs will not allow it.

Ranged DPS won't let meleers outdps them, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Paladins won't let warriors have the level of damage mit that they have. They will get it nerfed.
Mages won't let warriors outdps them in AoE, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Dragoons and monks won't let warriors out STDPS them if their AoEDPS is better than theirs. They will get it nerfed.

The other jobs, almost inevitably, will not be happy until warrior's AoE is about what a blm's is, its tanking isn't as strong as a paladin's, and its stdps is short of a dragoon and monk.

I think the job's concept has several flaws, reminiscent of dragoon and thief in FFXI. Bad asset profile.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#59 Jun 04 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
121 posts
I'm going the Arcanist route myself, since I already have all the DoM and DoW at 50. I'll probably go Scholar after i finish Arcanist.
____________________________


#60 Jun 04 2013 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
If what you say ends up being true, that will have implications for the usefulness of monks, dragoons, and paladins. Warrior can't have it all. The other jobs will not allow it.

Ranged DPS won't let meleers outdps them, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Paladins won't let warriors have the level of damage mit that they have. They will get it nerfed.
Mages won't let warriors outdps them in AoE, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Dragoons and monks won't let warriors out STDPS them if their AoEDPS is better than theirs. They will get it nerfed.


I'm not going to argue the semantics of game design in another thread. How about we just wait until the game is released and the classes can establish their roles before talking in absolutes.
#61 Jun 04 2013 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
262 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak. If they can survive better than dragoon or monk while dd'ing, dragoon and monk will be considered mana sinks in raid parties.

If what you say ends up being true, that will have implications for the usefulness of monks, dragoons, and paladins. Warrior can't have it all. The other jobs will not allow it.

Ranged DPS won't let meleers outdps them, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Paladins won't let warriors have the level of damage mit that they have. They will get it nerfed.
Mages won't let warriors outdps them in AoE, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Dragoons and monks won't let warriors out STDPS them if their AoEDPS is better than theirs. They will get it nerfed.

The other jobs, almost inevitably, will not be happy until warrior's AoE is about what a blm's is, its tanking isn't as strong as a paladin's, and its stdps is short of a dragoon and monk.

I think the job's concept has several flaws, reminiscent of dragoon and thief in FFXI. Bad asset profile.



The only logic that is required is you're swinging a big EM EFFIN BATTLE AXE!
#62 Jun 04 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
141 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak. If they can survive better than dragoon or monk while dd'ing, dragoon and monk will be considered mana sinks in raid parties.

If what you say ends up being true, that will have implications for the usefulness of monks, dragoons, and paladins. Warrior can't have it all. The other jobs will not allow it.

Ranged DPS won't let meleers outdps them, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Paladins won't let warriors have the level of damage mit that they have. They will get it nerfed.
Mages won't let warriors outdps them in AoE, regardless of the hitbox size. They will get it nerfed.
Dragoons and monks won't let warriors out STDPS them if their AoEDPS is better than theirs. They will get it nerfed.

The other jobs, almost inevitably, will not be happy until warrior's AoE is about what a blm's is, its tanking isn't as strong as a paladin's, and its stdps is short of a dragoon and monk.

I think the job's concept has several flaws, reminiscent of dragoon and thief in FFXI. Bad asset profile.


Drg and mnk both have aoe ws and can control adds, steel cyclone was just really good at one point, then it got nerfed. a drg would generally way out perform a war in DD except in fights like iffy x where if you were ballsy enough to go for ws's close to ifrits abilities you would get extra damage. PLD was a superior tank in the 2 biggest fights, but the other boss fights were so overly brief a war could tank them fine. It's a matter of gering your job for the fight you were doing, i had a tank and dd set up for my war that got me to stat caps so i could hang in there as a dd.

The jobs got balanced pretty well near the end of 1.0 and the battle system was very good at that point. People just got mad because of the need for speed runs and they didnt have the patience for learning how to do it or they didnt like the fact that you needed certain set ups for them.

This war argument is almost useless unless you played 1.0 until near the end because you would get the full perspective on it, a lot of these comments are just speculation from people that really dont have a clue.
#63 Jun 04 2013 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak.


Why can't there be 2 or 3 tanks in the game that all put out equal damage, mitigation, and threat?
Why can't all melee classes do about the same amount of DPS?

MMOs are not built around snowflakes anymore. They allow you to play what you want and compete within their defined role. Will they differ slightly for specific fights? Sure. The thing is, most modern day raids/dungeons have bosses that all give each type of tank or dps a chance to shine. No one gets benched.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#64 Jun 04 2013 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak.


Why can't there be 2 or 3 tanks in the game that all put out equal damage, mitigation, and threat?
Why can't all melee classes do about the same amount of DPS?

MMOs are not built around snowflakes anymore. They allow you to play what you want and compete within their defined role. Will they differ slightly for specific fights? Sure. The thing is, most modern day raids/dungeons have bosses that all give each type of tank or dps a chance to shine. No one gets benched.

*Someone mentioned earlier that it wouldn't be fair for ranged to match the dps of a melee because of the ranged safety advantage. Untrue. Some fights are more dangerous away from the boss and require the ranged to move far more, while the melee just stay behind the boss and go nuts. Melee also take less damage and have better personal mitigation than ranged. Problem solved. There are many creative ways of balancing things besides the way FFXI did it. That way left many players stuck with a "?" over their heads for hours catching up on scrubs season 3 (or whatever the **** people watch on TV, I hate the **** thing).

Edited, Jun 4th 2013 7:34pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#65 Jun 04 2013 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
141 posts
Transmigration wrote:
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak.


Why can't there be 2 or 3 tanks in the game that all put out equal damage, mitigation, and threat?
Why can't all melee classes do about the same amount of DPS?

MMOs are not built around snowflakes anymore. They allow you to play what you want and compete within their defined role. Will they differ slightly for specific fights? Sure. The thing is, most modern day raids/dungeons have bosses that all give each type of tank or dps a chance to shine. No one gets benched.

*Someone mentioned earlier that it wouldn't be fair for ranged to match the dps of a melee because of the ranged safety advantage. Untrue. Some fights are more dangerous away from the boss and require the ranged to move far more, while the melee just stay behind the boss and go nuts. Melee also take less damage and have better personal mitigation than ranged. Problem solved. There are many creative ways of balancing things besides the way FFXI did it. That way left many players stuck with a "?" over their heads for hours catching up on scrubs season 3 (or whatever the **** people watch on TV, I hate the **** thing).

Edited, Jun 4th 2013 7:34pm by Transmigration


XI has like what 20 jobs now? i dunno cause i quit that back when the cap was still 75..however more jobs make more opportunities for more types of roles.

XIV has 7 jobs as of the end of 1.0, i wont be including the 2 new ones because i dont know how they work yet.

2/7 are tanks war and pld, pld was better for harder fights at holding hate and survivability, war could keep up with the lesser fights, ive personally tanked everything except iffy x and hardmode darnus on war just fine. I mean my gear is helpful but gear doesnt make the player

1/7 was a healer, whm, nuff said

2/7 were ranged dd/buff/enfeeble, brd buffed the party and did some damage..and some is always helpful. blm nuked the crap outta stuff and had minimal enfeebles..they both had aoe attacks

3/7 were melee dd, mnk/drg/war, all had aoe attacks for controlling adds, helping with plumes in primal fights etc, mnk/drg had certain fights that they were awesome for and war had key roles to play in some fights (breaking horns and heads off bosses)

im not sure how much more versatile you can make things with such a limited amount of jobs

the "classes" have been said to be for solo play and "jobs" for party play which makes perfect sense because of the extra 5 abilities you get from being on the job

Everything isnt going to work out how any one person wants it because that will always **** someone else off, and if everything could mitigate damage the same and have equal dps/survivability/**** gold what would be the point of have 3-4 tanks why not just one if theyre all the same whats the point in having versatility.

#66 Jun 05 2013 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Asukuu wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
benjjjamin wrote:
The logic is in the inevitability of balancing if what you claim will be true. If warrior can tank almost anything as well as a paladin, and DD, then paladin is a weak job. If they can DPS like a dragoon or monk, as well as have superior AOE, then dragoon and monk are weak.


Why can't there be 2 or 3 tanks in the game that all put out equal damage, mitigation, and threat?
Why can't all melee classes do about the same amount of DPS?

MMOs are not built around snowflakes anymore. They allow you to play what you want and compete within their defined role. Will they differ slightly for specific fights? Sure. The thing is, most modern day raids/dungeons have bosses that all give each type of tank or dps a chance to shine. No one gets benched.

*Someone mentioned earlier that it wouldn't be fair for ranged to match the dps of a melee because of the ranged safety advantage. Untrue. Some fights are more dangerous away from the boss and require the ranged to move far more, while the melee just stay behind the boss and go nuts. Melee also take less damage and have better personal mitigation than ranged. Problem solved. There are many creative ways of balancing things besides the way FFXI did it. That way left many players stuck with a "?" over their heads for hours catching up on scrubs season 3 (or whatever the **** people watch on TV, I hate the **** thing).

Edited, Jun 4th 2013 7:34pm by Transmigration


XI has like what 20 jobs now? i dunno cause i quit that back when the cap was still 75..however more jobs make more opportunities for more types of roles.

XIV has 7 jobs as of the end of 1.0, i wont be including the 2 new ones because i dont know how they work yet.

2/7 are tanks war and pld, pld was better for harder fights at holding hate and survivability, war could keep up with the lesser fights, ive personally tanked everything except iffy x and hardmode darnus on war just fine. I mean my gear is helpful but gear doesnt make the player

1/7 was a healer, whm, nuff said

2/7 were ranged dd/buff/enfeeble, brd buffed the party and did some damage..and some is always helpful. blm nuked the crap outta stuff and had minimal enfeebles..they both had aoe attacks

3/7 were melee dd, mnk/drg/war, all had aoe attacks for controlling adds, helping with plumes in primal fights etc, mnk/drg had certain fights that they were awesome for and war had key roles to play in some fights (breaking horns and heads off bosses)

im not sure how much more versatile you can make things with such a limited amount of jobs

the "classes" have been said to be for solo play and "jobs" for party play which makes perfect sense because of the extra 5 abilities you get from being on the job

Everything isnt going to work out how any one person wants it because that will always **** someone else off, and if everything could mitigate damage the same and have equal dps/survivability/**** gold what would be the point of have 3-4 tanks why not just one if theyre all the same whats the point in having versatility.



The point would be having more tanks available to decrease wait times (since you don't have to be a paladin to tank, not everyone likes paladins), and not having to bench dps because x class doesn't perform as well as y. Every single class in WoW can raid effectively. Every - Single - Class. Any tank can tank any boss effectively. You don't have to roll a paladin. If Death Knight is your thing, have at it. Oh you prefer the raw feel of a warrior? They can tank too. Again, do they tank differently? Of course, each class plays and feels differently. They all perform well though and do not get left out. The only time specific class set ups are sought after is during the toughest times with world top ranking guilds going for a world first on a heroic raid. Which the general pop doesn't have a shred of hope completing anyway. I hate to keep using WoW as a reference, but if there is anything it got right; it was making sure every class got a good spot in PvE. With updates the dps meters may shift toward a different class, but the difference between top and bottom is nowhere near what it was in FFXI and never gated a whole class from participating.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#67 Jun 05 2013 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
The point would be having more tanks available to decrease wait times (since you don't have to be a paladin to tank, not everyone likes paladins), and not having to bench dps because x class doesn't perform as well as y. Every single class in WoW can raid effectively. Every - Single - Class. Any tank can tank any boss effectively. You don't have to roll a paladin. If Death Knight is your thing, have at it. Oh you prefer the raw feel of a warrior? They can tank too. Again, do they tank differently? Of course, each class plays and feels differently. They all perform well though and do not get left out. The only time specific class set ups are sought after is during the toughest times with world top ranking guilds going for a world first on a heroic raid. Which the general pop doesn't have a shred of hope completing anyway. I hate to keep using WoW as a reference, but if there is anything it got right; it was making sure every class got a good spot in PvE. With updates the dps meters may shift toward a different class, but the difference between top and bottom is nowhere near what it was in FFXI and never gated a whole class from participating.


The one thing I really loved about WoW is the fact that tanks could put out very good DPS as well as hold hate. I tanked on paladin 1-80 (ret until 60, prot 60-80). As a ret (tanking mind you, which was way better than prot tanking at low levels), I was consistently top or 2nd DPS. As prot, my DPS was somewhat lower, but I was still usually in the hunt for top DPS. Granted, those were random dungeons where half the people were still unsure how to maximize their DPS, but still, even against some excellent players I could hold my own. I'd lose to good players (as it should be), but not by crazy amounts. It was nice being able to use damage to hold hate as opposed to just enmity tools.

In 1.0 before jobs were introduced, gladiator played very similarly. I could pump out very large amounts of DPS while tanking. No, I wasn't as good as a well played archer, but I still felt like I was contributing more than just being a meat shield. I'm really hoping that's more how warrior plays in ARR. That right there could give it its own niche apart from paladin: a tank that also puts out moderate DD. I'm very intrigued how the class will play.
#68 Jun 05 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
141 posts
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.
#69 Jun 05 2013 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Unless we receive a happy surprise or two I'm starting pug/Monk. I'll branch off from there and see where the breeze takes me.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#70 Jun 05 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Let's hope Summoner is super brokenly OP because by the looks of it they'll outnumber all other jobs 5-1, lol.

Me, at the moment I'm really interested in SCH... I loved the style and utility of it in XI, and regret not having mained it. My only reservation is Carbuncle actually, lol... I don't want to play some werid summoner hybrid, I want to focus on debuffing with unique magics, mostly like Scholars and Oracles of old.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#71 Jun 05 2013 at 4:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
199 posts
My plan is to start as conjurer. That's the DoM that branches off into whm right? I'll probably mess around with some DoH/L too but not seriously at first.
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#72 Jun 05 2013 at 9:15 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Asukuu wrote:
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.


No one said anything about getting more jobs. We're discussing how redundant it is to have a classes around that won't be used once we reach endgame and how the classes themselves should stand on there own with the job as an option for group content.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#73 Jun 05 2013 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
Like I said Dragoon will be my first class but I'll eventually level Paladin as well, cause I love to tank. Dragoon just looks like loads of fun. Their whole style is badass. I'd like to see wyverns added in as well, not as a permanent pet but as a special 2 hour ability or something.
#74 Jun 06 2013 at 12:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
141 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.


No one said anything about getting more jobs. We're discussing how redundant it is to have a classes around that won't be used once we reach endgame and how the classes themselves should stand on there own with the job as an option for group content.


Clearly you didn't play 1.0 for very long because all jobs had their role in end game situations, some more than others but there wasn't a job that was left completely out of anything. There were multiple strategies for iffy x, some had brd and mnk, some had war and drg. hm darnus had brds and mnks in one strat no brd in another, no mnk in another.

The abilities you get by putting on your soul crystal give you extra attacks, extra buffs, hate abilities, cures, whatever the case may be jobs were just better for party play and classes for solo play...

SE balanced the jobs and made combat actually good near the end of 1.0m pld got a buff, war got a nerf etc etc there were spots for everything, and with 24 man content coming out i guarantee every job will have a role.

And there was a linkshell that beat garuda with classes only, if memory serves me correctly they had 1 of everything and 2 lnc. Classes are viable options just not as good as jobs for party situations.
#75 Jun 06 2013 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
124 posts
max out doh and dol
pugilist always loved that ^^
____________________________
http://i.imgur.com/FokEtHo.png
#76 Jun 07 2013 at 4:02 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Asukuu wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.


No one said anything about getting more jobs. We're discussing how redundant it is to have a classes around that won't be used once we reach endgame and how the classes themselves should stand on there own with the job as an option for group content.


Clearly you didn't play 1.0 for very long because all jobs had their role in end game situations, some more than others but there wasn't a job that was left completely out of anything. There were multiple strategies for iffy x, some had brd and mnk, some had war and drg. hm darnus had brds and mnks in one strat no brd in another, no mnk in another.



I realize jobs were used... I'm talking about the starting classes. Did anyone bring Gladiator? How about Conjurer? Archer? What I am saying is that unless they allow the starting classes to deviate from their uselessness in group content, only the jobs will be played.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#77 Jun 07 2013 at 8:18 AM Rating: Good
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.


No one said anything about getting more jobs. We're discussing how redundant it is to have a classes around that won't be used once we reach endgame and how the classes themselves should stand on there own with the job as an option for group content.


Clearly you didn't play 1.0 for very long because all jobs had their role in end game situations, some more than others but there wasn't a job that was left completely out of anything. There were multiple strategies for iffy x, some had brd and mnk, some had war and drg. hm darnus had brds and mnks in one strat no brd in another, no mnk in another.



I realize jobs were used... I'm talking about the starting classes. Did anyone bring Gladiator? How about Conjurer? Archer? What I am saying is that unless they allow the starting classes to deviate from their uselessness in group content, only the jobs will be played.


I fully understand what you're saying, but that's the whole idea, at least it was the idea. I'm sure I've heard somewhere that's how they want to do things going forward. I believe that's the only reason they kept the class -> job system. Class for solo and low body count content where you may need a unique versatile ability setup, and jobs when you need specialization and don't need the extra versatility. I realize your argument about classes and group content being essentially incompatible, but that's how SE wants the game to go. I honestly don't mind it now, compared to when I first heard about Archer -> Bard back in the early parts of 1.0. I felt the same way as you as I play alot of Archers and Rangers in most games. The more I entertained the thought though the more I liked the idea. As long as I get to be an "Archer/Ranger" (no matter the form) wielding a bow as my main weapon I'm happy.
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#78 Jun 09 2013 at 11:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
141 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Asukuu wrote:
How long have wow and xi been around?

OF COURSE they have more job versatility for tanking healing etc. this is a "new" game you're not going to get more jobs NOW because you want them. What did xi have like 6 starting jobs at release...just deal with what they have for now and in the future more will be released.


No one said anything about getting more jobs. We're discussing how redundant it is to have a classes around that won't be used once we reach endgame and how the classes themselves should stand on there own with the job as an option for group content.


Clearly you didn't play 1.0 for very long because all jobs had their role in end game situations, some more than others but there wasn't a job that was left completely out of anything. There were multiple strategies for iffy x, some had brd and mnk, some had war and drg. hm darnus had brds and mnks in one strat no brd in another, no mnk in another.



I realize jobs were used... I'm talking about the starting classes. Did anyone bring Gladiator? How about Conjurer? Archer? What I am saying is that unless they allow the starting classes to deviate from their uselessness in group content, only the jobs will be played.



I dont know how many times its been said since the dawn of the job system but SE intended for classes to be used for SOLO play and job for PARTY play

There was an old strategy for ifrit hard where people would use thm so they could heal but they were just the ones who couldnt dodge attacks

and ive heard of one LS that used every class and 2xlnc and beat garuda, but the norm is jobs for party play. once you unlock jobs you wont see much of your class..the jobs are just better.

Edited, Jun 9th 2013 1:32pm by Asukuu
#79 Jun 09 2013 at 11:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
In FF11 I started as a monk. Honestly, with NIN and archer in the game, I felt useless. My endgame I leveled up all of the mages: Whm, Blm, Rdm, Bard, Sum, I got more invites that way.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#80 Jun 09 2013 at 2:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,080 posts
Going Tarulala CNJ and THM on my way to WHM. Botanist, Alchemy, and Culinarian along that path also.
I'll probably work on BLM and BRD too, down the road.
However I'm thinking of having a second char as melee, maybe WAR, but I'll go totally different race for that. Taru..er..Lala...that won't work for me like with my casters.
____________________________
A reader lives a thousand lives, the man who never reads lives only one. - George R.R. Martin
#81 Jun 09 2013 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,475 posts
White Mage all the way.
#83 Jun 10 2013 at 9:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
1.SMN
2.BLM
3.DRG

Let the shortage of tanks and healers begin! Want prestige? Roll a WHM! **** I may even consider rolling a tank first and be the local go to guy for raids. Paladin time!
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#84 Jun 10 2013 at 9:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Let the shortage of tanks and healers begin! Want prestige? Roll a WHM! **** I may even consider rolling a tank first and be the local go to guy for raids. Paladin time!


Paladin will definitely be the first Job I unlock after Dragoon. I always play a tank in MMOs, but I've been itching to play another DRG since I quit XI, so that will come first. Here's to NIN and DRK making it in soon...
#85 Jun 10 2013 at 9:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Let the shortage of tanks and healers begin! Want prestige? Roll a WHM! **** I may even consider rolling a tank first and be the local go to guy for raids. Paladin time!


Paladin will definitely be the first Job I unlock after Dragoon. I always play a tank in MMOs, but I've been itching to play another DRG since I quit XI, so that will come first. Here's to NIN and DRK making it in soon...


DRG is just such a cool job. Always has been.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#86 Jun 11 2013 at 1:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,030 posts
**** yes. The polearms, the jumps, the armor and of course the dragons... stylistically it's easily one of the coolest classes in Final Fantasy.
#87 Jun 11 2013 at 3:57 AM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
It completely depends on the new jobs tbh. I am a healer/buffer at heart so I have WHM, but I don't like the concept of it nor the playstyle that was in 1.0. Therefore if SCH is a healer/buffer I might go that route otherwise BRD and WHM will probably be my mains despite my dislike of WHM.

In general I do hope they have a very new concept for SCH though, I played SCH for quite a while in XI and overall it felt sluggish and the idea of the tactician offers a lot more than someone who can both nuke and heal decently, especially in a game where even WHM has elemental spells for damage. If it branches off of Arcanist I could see it be a healer, but instead of straight up damage spells like WHM has (or at least had in 1.0) they use dots as their damage, something I prefer, but once again I sincerely hope SE has more planned for SCH than something like that or I will be "dissapoint".
#88 Jun 11 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,755 posts
I'm gonna be going in blind but Im gonna go with DD this time around, 8 years of whm is enoughb for me :P
____________________________
Dwayna
75WHM 75BLM
94+2 Clothcraft
Lakshmi
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 67 All times are in CST
Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (66)