Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Blog Post: What's in a Name?Follow

#27 Jun 05 2013 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
***
3,707 posts
Catwho wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
What I'm wondering here is which are west and which are east-coast servers for the NA region. NA's a big place.. that distinction is kind of important.


I think that's going to be for the players to decide.

Personally, I have no problem making Balmung the Legacy server an "east coast" server. But others may disagree and think it ought to be a west coast server.


So all the NA servers are located in the same physical place? If that's the case then it doesn't matter.. I'm hoping it isn't the case.

I get hosed no matter what because I'm in the midwest, but New York is still a slightly shorter trip for my packets than California is.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#28 Jun 05 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,418 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Not to be a Debbi Downer or anything but, seeing what he wrote and seeing the separation of JP and NA/EU just looks like a Civil Rights thing.



Quote:
The recommendations are based solely on the physical location of the World servers.

A recommendation is a far cry from segregation. Not to mention that it was asked for by a lot of NA, EU, and JP players.



I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is, "seeing the separation" break down like that, "looks" like segregation. But do you honestly think that when staring at a breakdown chart like that you are going to say, "

Honestly tell me two things after looking at this. In fact all of you tell me, and be honest.

Chart 1 Looking at thi

Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
Ultros Shiva
Cerberus Odin



I'm not sure what you're asking me here.
____________________________

#29 Jun 05 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Seems kind of bizarre to me just as a matter of server traffic. They used to be utilizing the servers for most of the day--they'd just have the crowd rotate in and out depending on peak times. But this way, there will be dead times on all servers. Off-peak players will find an empty world, and they'll be using their server management resources way less efficiently.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#30 Jun 05 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
What I'm wondering here is which are west and which are east-coast servers for the NA region. NA's a big place.. that distinction is kind of important.


I think that's going to be for the players to decide.

Personally, I have no problem making Balmung the Legacy server an "east coast" server. But others may disagree and think it ought to be a west coast server.


So all the NA servers are located in the same physical place? If that's the case then it doesn't matter.. I'm hoping it isn't the case.

I get hosed no matter what because I'm in the midwest, but New York is still a slightly shorter trip for my packets than California is.


I'm not sure of any games which set up separate server locations for East and West. I've played games from New York on "East" servers, and I still always get about 86ms to the server in California or Washington, so I think they usually do that for people's convenience/timezone reasons.
#31 Jun 05 2013 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Teneleven wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Not to be a Debbi Downer or anything but, seeing what he wrote and seeing the separation of JP and NA/EU just looks like a Civil Rights thing.



Quote:
The recommendations are based solely on the physical location of the World servers.

A recommendation is a far cry from segregation. Not to mention that it was asked for by a lot of NA, EU, and JP players.



I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is, "seeing the separation" break down like that, "looks" like segregation. But do you honestly think that when staring at a breakdown chart like that you are going to say, "

Honestly tell me two things after looking at this. In fact all of you tell me, and be honest.

CHART 1 Looking at this chart, pick your server. What did you pick?

Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
Ultros Shiva
Cerberus Odin


CHART 2 Looking at this chart, pick your server. Would you pick the same server if its now a JP if you're in NA?

Group JP Group NA/EU
Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
- Ultros
- Cerberus (EU)
- Moogle (EU)
- Odin (EU)
- Shiva (EU)

Maybe its just me but if I had to pick a new server I wouldn't pick one that says Group JP. 1) because the server is for a different region and 2) because I'm sure a lot more JP players are going to pick a JP server which means I will be one of a few NA players in this JP server. Now, I'm pretty sure that logic will also follow the JP. Why go to a server that is likely to have 1) people that are not in your time zone and 2) people that don't understand you?

I don't think my original statement was wrong. Does that, above not make sense or am I thinking about this wrong?
#32 Jun 05 2013 at 12:54 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
To be honest, WFO, I can't make an informed decision about which server I'll play on just yet. I don't know if, for example, me being on the east coast would be problematic if I decided to join a server that's located on the west coast. When I play the beta and find that there's no issue, I'll probably join an EU server because I speak different languages: Spanish, French, etc. I would fit right in, so it doesn't matter to me. I wouldn't play on a JP server not because I don't speak enough Japanese, but because I'm not always awake during JP prime time. It has nothing to do with segregation. Pick a relevant server to your preferred play schedule or go wherever the **** you want if lag truly won't be an issue.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#33 Jun 05 2013 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
****
6,899 posts
I see what you're saying WFO. I don't think it's meant as segregation, but I can understand how people would migrate to servers of their own country. Unless I joined an LS that was going to a JP server, I would most likely pick an NA server simply because of the language barrier. I don't speak Japanese at all, so it would seemingly be more difficult to play on a JP server if they are the majority of the playerbase.
#34 Jun 05 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
Are they not doing auto translate this time? Thanks for the offer, but I'll have to pass?
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#35 Jun 05 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
456 posts
Really hoping my old friends find there way back to diabolos!!!!
____________________________
Moderator-75thf 75nin 75pld Hume
LS- WanderingTrupaTricks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Diabolos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mori Oni- 50MNK 20LNC 11GLD Miquote
LS- The Inner Circle
FC- Primal Bane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ultros~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#37 Jun 05 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
Am I the only one who thinks the new server names are 1000x cooler than the Legacy server names? I mean, I'm (we're) being forced to chose from some random end game sword like Hyperion or Sarganqfaasrd. I wish they would have renamed them something canon like the other new servers.

While I'm lamenting certain states of affairs, I wish there was an option to just ditch all of my gil and start on a new server. Oh well.



Edited, Jun 5th 2013 4:03pm by Onionthiefx
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#38 Jun 05 2013 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,418 posts
WFOAssassin wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Not to be a Debbi Downer or anything but, seeing what he wrote and seeing the separation of JP and NA/EU just looks like a Civil Rights thing.



Quote:
The recommendations are based solely on the physical location of the World servers.

A recommendation is a far cry from segregation. Not to mention that it was asked for by a lot of NA, EU, and JP players.





I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is, "seeing the separation" break down like that, "looks" like segregation. But do you honestly think that when staring at a breakdown chart like that you are going to say, "

Honestly tell me two things after looking at this. In fact all of you tell me, and be honest.

CHART 1 Looking at this chart, pick your server. What did you pick?

Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
Ultros Shiva
Cerberus Odin


CHART 2 Looking at this chart, pick your server. Would you pick the same server if its now a JP if you're in NA?

Group JP Group NA/EU
Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
- Ultros
- Cerberus (EU)
- Moogle (EU)
- Odin (EU)
- Shiva (EU)

Maybe its just me but if I had to pick a new server I wouldn't pick one that says Group JP. 1) because the server is for a different region and 2) because I'm sure a lot more JP players are going to pick a JP server which means I will be one of a few NA players in this JP server. Now, I'm pretty sure that logic will also follow the JP. Why go to a server that is likely to have 1) people that are not in your time zone and 2) people that don't understand you?

I don't think my original statement was wrong. Does that, above not make sense or am I thinking about this wrong?


My reply to your first post wasn't to tell you you're wrong, it was really to say that is what the people asked for. And also, that using "Civil Rights" was a little overboard. I didn't mean anything by it. :)
____________________________

#39 Jun 05 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Teneleven wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
WFOAssassin wrote:
Not to be a Debbi Downer or anything but, seeing what he wrote and seeing the separation of JP and NA/EU just looks like a Civil Rights thing.



Quote:
The recommendations are based solely on the physical location of the World servers.

A recommendation is a far cry from segregation. Not to mention that it was asked for by a lot of NA, EU, and JP players.





I'm not saying it is. What I am saying is, "seeing the separation" break down like that, "looks" like segregation. But do you honestly think that when staring at a breakdown chart like that you are going to say, "

Honestly tell me two things after looking at this. In fact all of you tell me, and be honest.

CHART 1 Looking at this chart, pick your server. What did you pick?

Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
Ultros Shiva
Cerberus Odin


CHART 2 Looking at this chart, pick your server. Would you pick the same server if its now a JP if you're in NA?

Group JP Group NA/EU
Atomos Adamantoise
Bahamut Behemoth
Chocobo Cactuar
Garuda Coeurl
Ifrit Diabolos
Mandragora Gilgamesh
Ramuh Goblin
Tiamat Leviathan
Titan Malboro
Tonberry Midgardsormr
- Ultros
- Cerberus (EU)
- Moogle (EU)
- Odin (EU)
- Shiva (EU)

Maybe its just me but if I had to pick a new server I wouldn't pick one that says Group JP. 1) because the server is for a different region and 2) because I'm sure a lot more JP players are going to pick a JP server which means I will be one of a few NA players in this JP server. Now, I'm pretty sure that logic will also follow the JP. Why go to a server that is likely to have 1) people that are not in your time zone and 2) people that don't understand you?

I don't think my original statement was wrong. Does that, above not make sense or am I thinking about this wrong?


My reply to your first post wasn't to tell you you're wrong, it was really to say that is what the people asked for. And also, that using "Civil Rights" was a little overboard. I didn't mean anything by it. :)


I had written an essay on the seriousness of civil rights and the insignificance of a gaming server. Then karma ersaed my rant. Don't let karma eradicate you too. Think of the kittens!


Edited, Jun 5th 2013 5:53pm by ShindaUsagi
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#40 Jun 05 2013 at 5:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Just to get this straight.. when I log in with my 1.0 character, I can choose to transfer to a different a world?
#41 Jun 05 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
**
618 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Just to get this straight.. when I log in with my 1.0 character, I can choose to transfer to a different a world?


You can transfer it to any of the designated Legacy servers only.
____________________________
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nghthawk Evenfall
FFXIV Gilgamesh: Nytehawk Evenfall


Time is but a window,
Death is but a doorway,
I'll Be Back
#42 Jun 05 2013 at 5:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
598 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Definitely leaving Aegis. Now I'm torn between Balmung and Hyperion.


Let me know where you end up. Seeing this will be a JP server I am also left homeless.

Edit: I forgot about the sticky thread Catwho started. We will all know where to go for ZAM servers

Edited, Jun 5th 2013 8:07pm by kainsilv
____________________________
"The next time you have the urge to stab me in the back have the guts to do it to my face." - Malcolm Reynolds
#43 Jun 05 2013 at 6:04 PM Rating: Excellent
*
106 posts
SillyHawk wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
Just to get this straight.. when I log in with my 1.0 character, I can choose to transfer to a different a world?


You can transfer it to any of the designated Legacy servers only.


Not exactly. You'll log into your character on the predetermined server. However, you can apply for a transfer to another legacy server if you so desire.

Quote:
In the event that your character data has been transferred to an undesired region, we ask that you submit a World transfer application. Applications will be accepted during phase 3, and transfers will occur during phase 4.

Please read over the details of the World transfer before filling out the application.


Edited, Jun 5th 2013 8:05pm by Hankshmi
#44 Jun 05 2013 at 6:30 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
262 posts
kainsilv wrote:
I forgot about the sticky thread Catwho started. We will all know where to go for ZAM servers



Not only ZAM specific servers, but is there a ZAM specific LS? It seems like it would be pretty cool that you get to play with people that you see post on the forums. We could all argue in real time in the game!
#45 Jun 05 2013 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Looks like I'll be leaving Masamune then. Ragnarok here I come!
#46 Jun 05 2013 at 6:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Will the ZAM server be Legacy, though? If it is, I may have to sit out. I'd rather start on a new server.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#47 Jun 05 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,104 posts
Atkascha wrote:
Will the ZAM server be Legacy, though? If it is, I may have to sit out. I'd rather start on a new server.


There's inevitably going to be a divide. There are a lot of people here sticking with the legacy servers, and others like you that want to start fresh.
#48 Jun 05 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Well, in that case, we can have two designated servers. I imagine most of us here are NA. I'd like to see if latency will be an issue with the regional server locations.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#49 Jun 05 2013 at 8:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
kainsilv wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Definitely leaving Aegis. Now I'm torn between Balmung and Hyperion.


Let me know where you end up. Seeing this will be a JP server I am also left homeless.

Edit: I forgot about the sticky thread Catwho started. We will all know where to go for ZAM servers

Edited, Jun 5th 2013 8:07pm by kainsilv


Talked to a fellow Aegis LS leader and we agreed that we're moving to Hyperion. So at least two big linkshells will be making the move from Aegis to Hyperion.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#50 Jun 05 2013 at 11:39 PM Rating: Default
****
5,030 posts
looks like Im going to Gilgamesh.. thats my favorite of the NA server names listed...

Btw how do we know if the servers that ARENT marked "legacy" are new players ONLY.. because from the looks of it it looks to me like ONLY legacy players can join a legacy server but ANYONE (legacy and non legacy) can join the non legacy servers.. is that about right?
#51 Jun 05 2013 at 11:51 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
looks like Im going to Gilgamesh.. thats my favorite of the NA server names listed...

Btw how do we know if the servers that ARENT marked "legacy" are new players ONLY.. because from the looks of it it looks to me like ONLY legacy players can join a legacy server but ANYONE (legacy and non legacy) can join the non legacy servers.. is that about right?


You have it reversed. Legacy worlds can have new players or legacy players but new servers can only have new characters.

A legacy account holder can make a new character on a new server and start over, or use their 1.0 server in a Legacy world.


Edited, Jun 5th 2013 10:52pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 77 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (77)