Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Are YOU interested in Xbox One?Follow

#52 Jun 07 2013 at 9:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Veagan wrote:
Not one bit. But I do get to sit back and watch it go down the drain. :)


If you really want to get the brawlers in here you need better bait. I would say the PvP vs PvE but that already got super ugly.
#53 Jun 07 2013 at 9:35 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Aekotie the Fussy wrote:
I can't tell if serious or sarcastic. . . Regardless, good luck...!


Well I meant it does seem like a massive invasion of privacy and its just begging to be misused. But can it still be defeated by a dish towel?
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#54 Jun 07 2013 at 10:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Screenshot


Oooh ho ho yeah. I'm definitely interested to see where this ship is going.
#55 Jun 07 2013 at 10:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*
98 posts
I will not be sucked in to this..!
#56 Jun 07 2013 at 10:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Yeah, the giant flames told me to keep a safe, spectator's distance away from the console. On principle, I cannot support the business model they are going for. Not above a PC. I'm fairly confident I'm not alone in that sentiment.

I passed up the original Xbox. The 'Xbone" will likely get passed up as well. It did, however, remind me how much I neglected my poor PS3 this generation.
#57 Jun 07 2013 at 10:27 PM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Not to mention PC games require constant upgrades to play the best graphics... whereas console devs figure out how to harness more and more power out of the same hardware. But I still love pc gaming regardless.


Just want to chime in and say that isnt really true anymore, for two reasons.

The late 90s/early 2000s rapid ramp of hardware was largely caused by ever inflating screen resolutions. Check out PC mags from 2003/4 and you'll see benchmark resolutions on CRT monitors way above what you take as standard today. It wasnt until the current big trend of 1920x1080 16:9 hit in the mid/late 2000s pushed by the movie industry that this hardware escalation to play games "at their best" slowed. There are quite a few interesting articles out there commenting on the fact that 8 years ago PC users would laugh at any other multimedia devices screen resolution. Now you have huge pixel density on smart phones and tablets compared to your mid-range VDU. Which is odd considering if you're going to appreciate no jaggies, its going to be if you're playing games or rendering on a PC. I forget who it was, but one major graphics card vendor (I think it was nVidia?) were quoted as saying in the early 2000s, that Anti Aliasing is a waste of time as by the time you'd have hardware capable of running it fast enough, screen resolutions will be so dense you wont notice the jaggies anyway.

Also, hardware components have jumped in power so much in the last couple of years that very little out there makes full use of a modern CPU. If you ever see slowdown in games, and youre an owner of a £200 I5/7 Ivybridge or later, chances are that its your GPU or some other component causing the bottleneck. Not the CPU. Add to that, that RAM prices are incredibly low for the size available now. Anyone into PCs in the late 80s and early 90s will recall how expensive RAM was. Top end graphics cards are probably your only really expensive part of a PC now, and even those are pretty much not needed to get the vast majority of new titles to run spectacularly. The major bonus of Consoles over PC's is the neat package. All you need to know to get a console going is which bit plugs into the wall, and which bit plugs into the telly. The complexity and variety of PCs puts average Joe off, despite it being hugely more simplified now than it was previously. At least now a days you dont get Windows screaming "IRQ CONFLICT! IRQ CONFLICT!!" when you even mentioned putting in a new sound card near it.

Of course, I don't question your love of PC gaming. Game on brother! \m/
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#58 Jun 07 2013 at 10:51 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Probably good to read down the whole forum. I already admitted I was incorrect in a subsequent post.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#59 Jun 08 2013 at 12:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I'm personally glad I dropped my money into a decent gaming PC. Consoles definitely seem to be heading toward the "casual" market, even more so than previous generations. When I heard the details of the PS4 I knew I wasn't interested in ever owning one and I have never considered getting an Xbox before (mostly back from my FFXI days and finding out you had to pay for an XBL account plus the FFXI sub) and I certainly haven't changed my mind with the X Bone. As someone that is avidly against Big Brother scenarios I would never own a Kinect or Move, and the fact that the Kinect is an integral part of the system just turns my stomach...Not to mention the near "Always Online" garbage.

That spiel aside, I personally think that the X Bone will do very well and the choices that Microsoft have made in it's development were probably quite smart. The reasoning behind this is the massive influx of "phone gamers" in the past couple years. People that we most likely wouldn't even consider "casuals" by our definitions that enjoy multimedia devices. This demographic might not have been quite ready to harvest for the PS3, but the Wii has proven that it's there. What better way to round them all up than with a system that doesn't even require you to use a controller. I'm sure they will have improved the Kinect enough to make it useable for the sort of games those kinds of people would be interested in.

And I'm sure there will be a small group of people that will end up buying the system with little to no intentions of playing video games on it... Altana help us all...

____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#60 Jun 08 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
262 posts
They might pick up some casuals and nongamers, but will they outweigh the cost of alienating the gamers. I really hate having this doom and gloom outlook, but it's like they are purposely trying to get me to not buy it. Like you Damien, I'm glad I put money into a good computer. It seems like the advantages that consoles did have are no longer there.
#61 Jun 08 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
61 posts
I really enjoyed the Xbox360, However with some of the ideas they have like always being internet connected and always listening (maybe even recording /tinfoil hat) I'm not to exited for XboxONE. Having to have friends on your list for 30 day's to be able to permanently trade games and connect every hour to make sure you are who you claim to be on live? Now that's just ridiculous. Who's paranoid now?
#62 Jun 08 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
The Xbox will never go down cause they got all the dumb jocks and wanna be thugs buying one. Then all the hardcore gamers who have to own every system. Not sure what it is about the system that attracts that demographic, but it does.

For me, none of the exclusives have been all that attractive. Halo is probably ok, but FPS' on consoles are eh at the best of times.
____________________________

#63 Jun 08 2013 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
No interest in Xbox. I also don't like how it SPIES on you. Was watching a movie and the record sound was on, to get our feedback to the movie.

NSA anyone?

Also, I used to sell used PS1 games at a nice premium, then PS2 came out along with Greatest Hits, and there went
my business.

There is a market for used games, and neither Microsoft and Sony want anyone but them to gain from it. NIntendo ds won't let
you play used games at all.

Swapping with friends games used to be fun, now its a bigger business and the reines are being pulled in.

Microsoft has my computing business, however I've always looked to Sony for entertainment equipment.

Grand Momma

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#64 Jun 08 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Excellent
I'm actually not opposed to video game console manufacturers requiring that you buy a license for whatever game you want to play. For example, you buy Assassin's Creed XIV, which comes with one free license, which you then register on your machine... and then you can play it. If someone else gets your game disc, they'd then have to buy a license to play the game on their machine. Yeah, it kind of sucks, and it is definitely more restrictive... totally makes swapping games between friends and family members infeasible, unless you bring your entire console along with you... but it's the company's right to do that, and I don't see anything seriously wrong with that.

However, I think it's bad to require consoles to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to be playable. Aside from the obvious implications of privacy, what about people who may be forced to turn off their Internet connections for awhile?

If you buy a gaming console, the only other thing you should need to play is a TV... period.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#65 Jun 08 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Never been an Xbox fan. I'm cautiously anticipating the Microsoft and Sony conferences on Monday. I'm hoping the PS4 doesn't have any of this restrictive nonsense. Microsoft can try to clarify these settings all they want--I think word-of-mouth has already gone out about this, which is hurting the system's prospective market. I won't be surprised if the Xbox One flops. I'm ambivalent about buying a PS4 day one because Sony has not given us nearly enough information about the system.

Oh, and to clarify about a question from earlier in the thread: the Xbox One is called this because it's an "all-in-one" console. One system to rule them all, and so forth.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#66 Jun 08 2013 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
The Xbox will never go down cause they got all the dumb jocks and wanna be thugs buying one. Then all the hardcore gamers who have to own every system. Not sure what it is about the system that attracts that demographic, but it does.

For me, none of the exclusives have been all that attractive. Halo is probably ok, but FPS' on consoles are eh at the best of times.


I had to begrudgingly enter a GameStop on my vein quest to procure a copy of the Skyrim: Legendary Edition for PC. While there I overheard one of the workers there teasing a couple of boys no older than 8 or 9 about not knowing what the new Map Pack for Call of Duty was. Those boys acted as if it was the most important thing in gaming to come out this year... I thought to myself "Yup, those are future X Bone owners".

Grandmomma wrote:
No interest in Xbox. I also don't like how it SPIES on you. Was watching a movie and the record sound was on, to get our feedback to the movie.

NSA anyone?

Also, I used to sell used PS1 games at a nice premium, then PS2 came out along with Greatest Hits, and there went
my business.

There is a market for used games, and neither Microsoft and Sony want anyone but them to gain from it. NIntendo ds won't let
you play used games at all.

Swapping with friends games used to be fun, now its a bigger business and the reines are being pulled in.

Microsoft has my computing business, however I've always looked to Sony for entertainment equipment.

Grand Momma



Wow I can't believe that the new DS systems don't allow for used games.. I guess that's why I haven't noticed a used section in stores for them... I remember trading in pretty much all of my NES/Sega/N64/Dreamcast stuff and getting over $300 and buying a used Gamecube and several games (oh how I wish I never let that friend talk me in to doing that XD). Now I probably wouldn't even have gotten $100 for an entire library of old games.

Now it seems like these companies would much rather sell you a service than an actual physical product. This is one of those areas where technology has surpassed lawmaking capabilities and I think that there should be some limit on this practice. If you buy a copy of a game it is your property to do with as you wish. Companies should not have the right to say that you can't sell it to someone else second hand or buy from them in the same way. We don't do this with other forms of media, why should videogames be any different. At least with PC gaming you kind of expect it, with all of the codes and everything. But back in the day you could probably just give someone the CD key along with the game. I still think that Steam should have a market to sell used games, even if they take a small cut of the sale. Although this would probably make them lose too much money to ever become a reality.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#67 Jun 08 2013 at 3:01 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Err, I have never heard anything about that and I can't find any news on Nintendo doing that.

I have lent games to friends plenty of times, and I see used 3DS games all over ebay... or are you making a prediction that Nintendo will do it?

I actually think Nintendo is laughing their way to the bank at this point... Nintendo has managed to completely take itself out of console wars for a long time now, and with no restrictions on software and what you can do with your games/consoles, they're even FURTHER separating themselves from Xbox and PlayStation.

Btw, I see a lot of people defending the Xbox One because Steam does it. well, Steam has always been a download service and marketed itself as such.

I don't see how the comparison is even being made when all these restrictions on Xbox One games are for physical copies too. I would understand if I can't gift my friends a downloaded game (like Steam, or downloaded XBL/PSN games), the whole thing is that I can't lend my friends physical copies of my games. Such a dumb comparison and argument to make.

To a lot of people, this is like if you bought a Blu-Ray movie, and you had to connect to the internet to watch that movie, and you couldn't lend that movie away, or rent it.

Edited, Jun 8th 2013 5:07pm by Killua125
#68 Jun 08 2013 at 8:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm actually not opposed to video game console manufacturers requiring that you buy a license for whatever game you want to play. For example, you buy Assassin's Creed XIV, which comes with one free license, which you then register on your machine... and then you can play it. If someone else gets your game disc, they'd then have to buy a license to play the game on their machine. Yeah, it kind of sucks, and it is definitely more restrictive... totally makes swapping games between friends and family members infeasible, unless you bring your entire console along with you... but it's the company's right to do that, and I don't see anything seriously wrong with that.

However, I think it's bad to require consoles to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to be playable. Aside from the obvious implications of privacy, what about people who may be forced to turn off their Internet connections for awhile?

If you buy a gaming console, the only other thing you should need to play is a TV... period.


Sure it is the company's right but that doesn't make it right. I can lend out my current games, DVDs, blu-rays, lawnmower, vacuum, car if needed, my book bag, textbooks, fiction books, etc. Should it be reasonable for all of these manufacturers, if possible, to allow only me to use them , say through thumbprint I'd? What makes software so special and unique in this regard?


An interesting question I've been pondering is this: If see do move towards single license purchasing where the game can not be duplicated or borrowed, will software once again enter the age of returnable items? If I buy a game and it flat out sucks, and I am unable to sell it, then shouldn't I be able to return it?
#69 Jun 08 2013 at 10:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
electromagnet83 wrote:
Thayos wrote:
I'm actually not opposed to video game console manufacturers requiring that you buy a license for whatever game you want to play. For example, you buy Assassin's Creed XIV, which comes with one free license, which you then register on your machine... and then you can play it. If someone else gets your game disc, they'd then have to buy a license to play the game on their machine. Yeah, it kind of sucks, and it is definitely more restrictive... totally makes swapping games between friends and family members infeasible, unless you bring your entire console along with you... but it's the company's right to do that, and I don't see anything seriously wrong with that.

However, I think it's bad to require consoles to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to be playable. Aside from the obvious implications of privacy, what about people who may be forced to turn off their Internet connections for awhile?

If you buy a gaming console, the only other thing you should need to play is a TV... period.


Sure it is the company's right but that doesn't make it right. I can lend out my current games, DVDs, blu-rays, lawnmower, vacuum, car if needed, my book bag, textbooks, fiction books, etc. Should it be reasonable for all of these manufacturers, if possible, to allow only me to use them , say through thumbprint I'd? What makes software so special and unique in this regard?


An interesting question I've been pondering is this: If see do move towards single license purchasing where the game can not be duplicated or borrowed, will software once again enter the age of returnable items? If I buy a game and it flat out sucks, and I am unable to sell it, then shouldn't I be able to return it?

It was supposed to be that way for all IP properties. Actually the properties are supposed to be freely used by the public after a set amount of time.. The entertainment industry pays government officials money and extend their duration.
#70 Jun 09 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Microsoft has really not sold me on the Xbox One. I'm far more interested in PS4 at this point, and even then, I have no urge to get it right at release. (Especially if they're aiming for a Christmas release, in which case getting one is going to be a pain in the ***.)

What am I saying, I hardly even touch the PS3 right now.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#71 Jun 09 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Thayos wrote:
I'm actually not opposed to video game console manufacturers requiring that you buy a license for whatever game you want to play. For example, you buy Assassin's Creed XIV, which comes with one free license, which you then register on your machine... and then you can play it. If someone else gets your game disc, they'd then have to buy a license to play the game on their machine. Yeah, it kind of sucks, and it is definitely more restrictive... totally makes swapping games between friends and family members infeasible, unless you bring your entire console along with you... but it's the company's right to do that, and I don't see anything seriously wrong with that.

However, I think it's bad to require consoles to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to be playable. Aside from the obvious implications of privacy, what about people who may be forced to turn off their Internet connections for awhile?

If you buy a gaming console, the only other thing you should need to play is a TV... period.


When i want to buy a game i want to be the "master" of that game disk or whatever. For example i bought 15 games and for some reason my xbox broke and i buy a new one. Then what? I need to re buy them all? Anyway its developers "right" to do what ever they want with their games but they shouldn't expect the gamers to follow them.

Believe it or not the harder anti piracy tricks and programs they use the bigger the piracy is gonna be. MS decision to do that will backfire for sure.

Games for pc that have DRM or something similar had massive piracy and if you ask me well deserved because those program actually mess up your game, i had games that took me HOURS to play casue of stupid DRM. But then you got games like The wticher that didn't have DRM and did really really good sales because gamers reward good developers.

The button line is i honestly hope Microsoft to fail because money hungry companies are not ok.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#72 Jun 09 2013 at 10:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Catwho wrote:
Microsoft has really not sold me on the Xbox One. I'm far more interested in PS4 at this point, and even then, I have no urge to get it right at release. (Especially if they're aiming for a Christmas release, in which case getting one is going to be a pain in the ***.)

What am I saying, I hardly even touch the PS3 right now.



I got desperate with xbox one because in amazon.de they put mirror's edge 2 as an xbox game. They took it down now but it's a possibility that mirror's edge 2 will be an exclusive game for xboxone. That made me rage in the monitor. One of my favorite games and look what they are doing. But still i will not buy an xboxone for just one game.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#73 Jun 09 2013 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
141 posts
PS4 or bust.
***** microsoft
#74 Jun 09 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Edit: On another note. The fact that this is turning into a government conspiracy thread is silly. If the government is watching us it is because WE GIVE THEM The power to do so. Nobody says you have to agree to facebook, google, PSN, or Microsoft's privacy policy and risk being watched. It is the user's "choice."

Well. The point is just that nobody agreed on that.
#75 Jun 10 2013 at 1:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Catwho wrote:
Microsoft has really not sold me on the Xbox One. I'm far more interested in PS4 at this point, and even then, I have no urge to get it right at release. (Especially if they're aiming for a Christmas release, in which case getting one is going to be a pain in the ***.)

What am I saying, I hardly even touch the PS3 right now.


There are a lot of good games that I've passed on when they were $60 new that are less than $15 used these days. If you ever want to use your PS3 more, just stop by a Gamestop sometime. Smiley: wink
#76 Jun 10 2013 at 3:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
While we are at it, scary stuff:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/10/politics/nsa-leak/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

One more reason to not buy the spybox.
#77 Jun 10 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
I don't care too much about being watched because Im not doing anything wrong...at least not on the level that would make the CIA take notice. People tend to overestimate the importance of their daily humdrum activities in the eyes of the government. Collecting data and being watched are two vastly different concepts. The former implies a data collector somewhere storing info and, if ever needed that data can be used to convict a criminal. Boston was a good example. If those cameras weren't running, being taped to be reviewed later, we wouldn't have caught that jackass. The latter implies a person or group of persons sitting and watching our every move for mistakes. Sorry guys, we aren't as important as we flatter ourselves into believing.

But to play Devil's Advocate, we the people allow any degree of this to happen by choosing to use the services being monitored. Don't like it? Band together and boycott the services until monitoring policies are reversed. Even though we know we are being monitored this will still never happen. Why ? Because we can't live without technology for 24 hours. To me, that is the more scary scenario.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 11:48am by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#78 Jun 10 2013 at 10:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I don't care too much about being watched because Im not doing anything wrong...at least not on the level that would make the CIA take notice. People tend to overestimate the importance of their daily humdrum activities in the eyes of the government. Collecting data and being watched are two vastly different concepts. The former implies a data collector somewhere storing info and, if ever needed that data can be used to convict a criminal. Boston was a good example. If those cameras weren't running, being taped to be reviewed later, we wouldn't have caught that jackass. The latter implies a person or group of persons sitting and watching our every move for mistakes. Sorry guys, we aren't as important as we flatter ourselves into believing.

But to play Devil's Advocate, we the people allow any degree of this to happen by choosing to use the services being monitored. Don't like it? Band together and boycott the services until monitoring policies are reversed. Even though we know we are being monitored this will still never happen. Why ? Because we can't live without technology for 24 hours. To me, that is the more scary scenario.


Everything you said.

Anyone who puts information on Facebook or in forums shouldn't really be shocked about anyone collecting their info. Anyone who who pirates movies, music, applications, games, etc., shouldn't be shocked about other entities using the same sliding scale of morality to make us more safe. It's a somewhat frightening world we live in, but honestly, I'm a lot more afraid of groups like Anonymous than I am our government. In fact, I am not scared of our government.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#79 Jun 10 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Always be not afraid but wary of every government.Whoever has power is in danger in being corrupted anyone that fully trusts their government (and i mean any government) is naive at the very least.

But i do agree with you when you say about forums and facebook. I mean the info is right there for their taking its your/our fault since we are the ones to put it there.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#80 Jun 10 2013 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Thayos wrote:
It's a somewhat frightening world we live in, but honestly, I'm a lot more afraid of groups like Anonymous than I am our government. In fact, I am not scared of our government.


Then you're very naive. I don't mean that to be rude, it's just how I honestly feel. I'm not going to start a whole political debate because politics and gaming forums shouldn't be intertwined. All I know is, when this country finally goes to crap and the people revolt (and to me, it's a when and not an if), I'll be prepared. The moment you feel safe and secure with the government and no longer fear it is the moment they can control you like sheep...

...maybe I just read too many dystopian books.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 12:29pm by BartelX
#81 Jun 10 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
BartelX wrote:
Thayos wrote:
It's a somewhat frightening world we live in, but honestly, I'm a lot more afraid of groups like Anonymous than I am our government. In fact, I am not scared of our government.


Then you're very naive. I don't mean that to be rude, it's just how I honestly feel. I'm not going to start a whole political debate because politics and gaming forums shouldn't be intertwined. All I know is, when this country finally goes to crap and the people revolt (and to me, it's a when and not an if), I'll be prepared. The moment you feel safe and secure with the government and no longer fear it is the moment they can control you like sheep...

...maybe I just read too many dystopian books.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 12:29pm by BartelX


Unfortunately the thing many people forget is that laws and policies are made reactively. We are being watched because on the large scale we are idiots. We have seatbelt laws to protect retards who won't otherwise use the bare minimum safety to prevent death. We have gun laws because of the peoples' misuse of them. A few ruin it for the many. Don't blame the government. Blame yourself, your neighbor, me, etc. When something happens the government intervene and if they don't then we complain about that too. If the country goes to crap its because we are stupidly revolting against rules put in place because of our initial stupidity.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 12:35pm by electromagnet83
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#82 Jun 10 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
I think the Kinect conspiracy is silly but I can't agree with someone willing to give up their privacy because they have nothing to hide...this is how our liberties are taken away.
#83 Jun 10 2013 at 11:34 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I know a few people in Anonymous and for the most part they're regular guys (albeit a bit weird) with wives and kids. 4channers all grown up. It's hard to be scared of them.

I'm also personally not worried about being monitored by the Big Internet guys, since Google thinks I'm a 24 year old single male. The volume of data generated by 300 million Americans surfing the tubes is staggering, and there's no way in **** all the data can be monitored in firehose format. It's embittering that the NSA feels they can just give the big IT folks the finger and say "nuh uh you HAVE to give us the info BECAUSE FREEDOM" but that kind of behavior can be stopped with future legislation if it ****** enough people off. Which, it seems, it hasn't.

Remember, 75% of Internet traffic is from NetFlix. Yeah, there's a lot of fascinating meta data in there, I'm sure.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#84 Jun 10 2013 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
Awww ya, Killer Instinct...about time. Still not worth the purchase of this machine though.
____________________________

#85 Jun 10 2013 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
Unfortunately the thing many people forget is that laws and policies are made reactively.


And unfortunately, all too often the laws and policies they put in place are overreactions. For instance, the incredible amount of gun legislation that passed through within weeks of the school shooting. Some of it was needed, much of it looked a lot more like martial law than simple situational reaction. But like I said, politics and gaming forums aren't a good combo because everyones views of government are different, and there is no one right or wrong way to feel about it. Like I said, I just know I'm prepared for when the worst happens. If I'm wrong and it doesn't, well... it's one of the few times I'll be very happy about being wrong.
#86 Jun 10 2013 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
Well, looks like if you're into shooters, XBOX one is the way to go!
____________________________

#87 Jun 10 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I don't care too much about being watched because Im not doing anything wrong...

Everybody is doing something wrong. And even if the current government does not abuse its power (which definitely it already does, there was active and selective espionage on opposition representatives only a few weeks ago... man, the American public is forgetful...), I would never give such power to anyone, simply because it can so easily be abused. Uncontrolled power always, without a single exception, always corrupts. Because humans crave power and dominance by nature. And nobody controls an agency which works in absolute secrecy; especially not a special court that is directly appointed by the government they are supposed to control.

I think it is very, very scary how the NSA eludes public control and the laws the people have decided - and voted - to live by. There's little democracy in a system where public votes only determine "official" surface law, but not the rules that actually govern the interection between all members of society (including officials, the rich, and the powerful). But perhaps I've been living in Europe for too long, and not long enough in the US to understand that mindset.

How scared to the bones must a society be to accept constant surveilance just for the faint possibility to catch one or two terrorists. In my playbook, this is nothing but a resounding victory for Al Kaeda. Liberty is not destroyed by bombs or crashed planes; but by the creeping poison of fear that takes possession of free people's hearts and minds.


#88 Jun 10 2013 at 12:18 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
262 posts
I'm very underwhelmed with the new Xbox's conference. I was excited about literally nothing that they showed. That speaks volumes considering this is a new console!
#89 Jun 10 2013 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
******
48,472 posts
BartelX wrote:
Like I said, I just know I'm prepared for when the worst happens.
A pistol and a single bullet?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#90 Jun 10 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
Rinsui wrote:
[quote]
How scared to the bones must a society be to accept constant surveilance just for the faint possibility to catch one or two terrorists. In my playbook, this is nothing but a resounding victory for Al Kaeda. Liberty is not destroyed by bombs or crashed planes; but by the creeping poison of fear that takes possession of free people's hearts and minds.




That's actually not a bad point. However, like I said being actively "watched" and having things recorded for future reference are vastly different. I'm not scared to live life, but I would like to know that if something happens there is a record of it so that we can easily catch the person who did. I know we're trampling on liberty and yada yada yada. But sometimes that seems like "this is amurica" kind of attitude and doesn't help the problem.

And on BartelX's point.....I'll move on from the topic in light of the slow leak of E3 info that is starting to show itself.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#91 Jun 10 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
***
1,004 posts
man there really trying to pinch every penny out of us now. Not being able to lend games to friends is beyond my comprehension. If I was going to buy the game i wouldn't be borrowing it from a friend. Not only this, but being lent a game might actually make me buy it if i liked it enough. My friend lent me fallout 3 and being the way i am, purchased all the DLC for it for completion. For a game that wasn't even mine.

The persistent online is also a let down. Sure i have unlimited upload/download, but what about the people who don't? If the xbox is always updating things people may go over their internet usage because of this. Not only that, but giving us a time limit that i am allowed to play offline? Thats absurd.

It's just unfortunate that PC is the least popular (for the cost, i know) and doesn't have nearly the amount of games on it that consoles do. At least the GOOD games on consoles also get made for PC a lot of the time. Have to wait and see what sony does. I just hope my friends don't all get xbox's then i would be left out being the only one with a ps4 Smiley: frown
#92 Jun 10 2013 at 12:51 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Like I said, I just know I'm prepared for when the worst happens.
A pistol and a single bullet?


Don't own a gun myself. More of a sword guy... go figure, a fantasy nerd on a forum who is into swords. Could I be any more of a stereotype? I have friends with anything else I might need, as long as I can get to them. Thank goodness for wilderness survival skills, I knew the boy scouts would be useful for something! (And now the stereotype is complete) Smiley: lol

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 2:54pm by BartelX
#93 Jun 10 2013 at 1:21 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
NO XD my tv can do the same for a fraction of the price xD Xbox One is like the retarded ******* child of consoles.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 3:22pm by abesut
#94 Jun 10 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
$499 for the Xbox One, huh? I'm anxious to see Sony's game plan with the release date and price for the PS4. None of the Xbox games appealed to me during the conference. 6:00pm PST needs to get here faster.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#95 Jun 10 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Atkascha wrote:
$499 for the Xbox One, huh? I'm anxious to see Sony's game plan with the release date and price for the PS4. None of the Xbox games appealed to me during the conference. 6:00pm PST needs to get here faster.


I think 500 is too much as well. I also didn't get too pumped about what they showed games wise either and the DRM was leaning me away from it already. All that added together equals no XBone for me.

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 12:41pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#96 Jun 10 2013 at 2:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Then you're very naive. I don't mean that to be rude, it's just how I honestly feel. I'm not going to start a whole political debate because politics and gaming forums shouldn't be intertwined. All I know is, when this country finally goes to crap and the people revolt (and to me, it's a when and not an if), I'll be prepared. The moment you feel safe and secure with the government and no longer fear it is the moment they can control you like sheep...


No need to have a political debate. I just don't feel threatened by our government. I think the IRS spending millions on employee seminar/dance parties does more actual harm than the government storing data. Quite simply, I just don't live with fear over what the government does. Most people in our government are just people, and we elect the most powerful government officials.

Quote:
Unfortunately the thing many people forget is that laws and policies are made reactively. We are being watched because on the large scale we are idiots. We have seatbelt laws to protect retards who won't otherwise use the bare minimum safety to prevent death. We have gun laws because of the peoples' misuse of them. A few ruin it for the many. Don't blame the government. Blame yourself, your neighbor, me, etc. When something happens the government intervene and if they don't then we complain about that too. If the country goes to crap its because we are stupidly revolting against rules put in place because of our initial stupidity.


Yep. Even the government mining server data is a result of idiots overreacting to terrorism.

Quote:
How scared to the bones must a society be to accept constant surveilance just for the faint possibility to catch one or two terrorists. In my playbook, this is nothing but a resounding victory for Al Kaeda. Liberty is not destroyed by bombs or crashed planes; but by the creeping poison of fear that takes possession of free people's hearts and minds.


How scared to the bones must people be to have such paralyzing fear over their own government, while our standards of living and personal freedoms are among the best in the world?

Doesn't matter which "side" you're on, either. Heck, I'm not shy in saying I think George W. was a complete idiot... but to say he was evil, or trying to take over the country, is just moronic. He was just a dude from Texas, and he did the best he could.

If this is -seriously- an important issue, then people need to mobilize and make candidates answer for this come election time. They need to demand a "drawn down" toward Internet privacy just as loudly as they'd push their stance on any other hot-button issue. Until that happens, all of this shock is just hot air.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#97 Jun 10 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
/golf clap @ Thayos.

Either resolve frustrations and fears through protest, debate, and election or get over it. Simply pointing out that our privacy is being invaded but doing nothing active to reverse it shows that even those complaining don't care too much...at least not enough to actually put forth the effort for change. The government's role should mostly be financial and trade related. It's not the government that's the problem however, it is all the people worrying too much about whether or not the government is infringing on this right, or that constitution, or whether or not the government is being helpful enough to this group or that group. Meanwhile we keep looking to the government to solve problems that we should ultimately be able to solve ourselves by simply being responsible adults, giving them more and more power to invade our lives.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#98 Jun 10 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Thayos wrote:
How scared to the bones must people be to have such paralyzing fear over their own government, while our standards of living and personal freedoms are among the best in the world?


I suppose I should have clarified better. I agree with you that people who are outright terrified of the government are misguided. What I meant by my comment was to not fear your government at all is a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Having a little bit of fear for the pretty egregious power a select few politicians hold is a healthy thing to me.

Now, we could get into a philosophical debate on the problems of an overreaching government, or the socioeconomic effects of allowing big business and government to be so closely tied, but it's something best saved for PMs or a different type of forum altogether if you ask me.
#99 Jun 10 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
Never did enjoy the original Xbox, Xbox 360 nor will I enjoy the upcoming Xbox One. So no, I'm not interested in the new Xbox One.

It's kind of hard not to laugh at the Xbox fan boys sometimes, considering:

1. Xbox 360 was prematurely released to fight PS3 for market share. MS knowingly sold defective hardware to the public. I mean, how many times have your Xbox 360 went 3 red rings of death? My friend's machine went through 4 RMA's in a span of 1 and a half year.

2. Knowing that this is a severe problem, they had the audacity to release a revised version called "Xbox Slim". I mean... that's like saying.. "Oh oopps sorry we f*ed up on the first 360 we made you pay full price for, so we went back and fixed everything we were supposed to have done so initially. Please pay another full price purchase for a system that we originally meant to release." The scary part is how many suckers actually bought the SLIM version afterwards.

3. Almost every single Xbox 360 games were labelled 1080p as resolution in the back of the retail box. Almost every PS3 games is labelled 720p in the back of the box, other than some blockbuster titles like MGS, God of War and etc. they were labelled 1080p but a lot of PS3 games are 720p. So after a bit of research, you find that the Xbox 360 games are "Upscaled" 1080p, they are not true 1080p. So to me, that's like MS trying to trick the consumers into thinking that Xbox 360 actually produces better graphical performance than PS3, which is a blatant lie. This is why when you pick up a game for PS3, it says 720p in the back, it's true 720p. When you pick up the very same game title for Xbox 360, it says 1080p in the back of the box, when you scratch your head and wonder why, know that it is an "Upscaled" measurement.

4. Xbox Live! - Oh boy, I don't even know where to start with this. I buy Resident Evil 5 on PS3, I pop in the disk and I play online with my friends. I buy the same game on Xbox 360, in order for me to play with friends online, I'll need to pay another $60 annual fee. To pour more fuel on fire, if I ever decide to play a MMO, I'd be looking at 2 fees instead of just 1.

Having said that, here's a few rumors I've heard so far about the upcoming Xbox One:

1. Still need Xbox Live to play online.

2. Can't let your friends borrow your games. Can only do a one time transfer of ownership from one user to another.

3. Kiss goodbye to console/game trade-in's, unless it's under Microsoft's rules and policies and most likely, pricing.

4. Oh and get this, I've just heard the rumor recently that the console machine itself, cannot operate "off-line" for more than 1 hour time. Meaning, your Xbox One console has to have a live connection to the internet and most likely, logged into your Xbox Live account. If it is not connected to network, the machine will operate for a maximum of one hour before shutting itself down.

Now these are rumors I've heard, of course not certain if all of these are facts right now but goodness sake, if any of this is remotely true then MS is truly shooting themselves in the foot here.
____________________________
CPU: Core i7 960 (OC'ed 4.0ghz)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H70 hybrid liquid cooler
Mobo: Gigabyte G1 Sniper
RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 DDR3 (12gb, 2gb x 6)
Video: EVGA Nvidia GTX 570 (Single Card)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 rpm, 1TB x2 (In Raid 0)
Case: Corsair 600T Graphite with mesh side panel
PSU: Corsair HX850 professional series
Optical: Asus 24x DVDRW+/- DL drive
KB: Logitech G110
Mouse: Logitech G500
Pad: Logitech Rumble Pad F510
Monitor: Asus 24" 1080p LED-backlit LCD display
#100 Jun 10 2013 at 4:33 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
818 posts
So agreed to curb this discussion here? Agreed.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#101 Jun 10 2013 at 5:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
630 posts
Disagreed on the surveillance side:

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=624

http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=28078
http://www.cryptogon.com/?p=20886

Agreed on the xbox side: It sucks!

Edited, Jun 10th 2013 7:09pm by burtonsnow
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 87 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (87)