I don't understand why this is happening. Is the *potentially* better ping the only reason?
From here in New Zealand, my ping to Montreal is 280-320ms, to JP is 350ms+. I guess this may differ to other Oceanic players.
square-enix.montreal.com / 188.8.131.52
jp.square-enix.com / 184.108.40.206
Reasons I don't think JP servers are a good idea for English speaking players:
1) Unless you can somhow score pings below 100ms from Aussie/NZ, it would not make much difference over all. Slightly laggy compared to slightly laggier won't change much in the gameplay. Besides, the main issue will be lag spikes, especially during peak hours. And being in JP servers we will be in their peak hour, so I am expecting huge lag spikes.
2) Members in a linkshell (or is it called Free Company in FFXIV? I didn't play 1.0) will come and go over time due to real life commitments, conflicts etc. In a JP server, it would be hard to get new members as the older ones leave or quit.
3) In my experience in FF XI, JP players generally don't like to mingle or do stuff with non-JP players, probably because of language barriers. For the preciously few in my large LS that are JP with decent English, their primary LS would always be a JP one. So if you were going to do some group activity or crafting help but your LS members are either busy or simply not interested, you would be unlikely to get a pickup party for help.
4) An important attraction of a large MMO is to be able to mingle with friends and strangers alike. In JP servers, the chances of mingling with them are low.
5) Some are worried about time zone difference to the US players for group activities. I don't think it will make a difference in a JP server. Unless you speak fluent Japanese, you are still going to be limited to your friends when you play. Besides, most players will have whole days free in the weekends to play with US players.
Feel free to disagree with me, but I'd like to know why you think a JP server might be better!