Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

First ImpressionsFollow

#202 Jun 17 2013 at 1:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Ruisu wrote:

[...]
Speaking of which, has anyone taken a look at the achievements tab? That's the one thing I forgot to do this weekend. Just to see if there were any amusingly-named achievements.

Edited, Jun 17th 2013 3:38am by Ruisu


Yes. I'm not sure it's actually working. There are some tradeskill ones and I can guarantee that I spammed a LOT of tradeskills over the weekend.
#203 Jun 17 2013 at 9:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Ruisu wrote:

[...]
Speaking of which, has anyone taken a look at the achievements tab? That's the one thing I forgot to do this weekend. Just to see if there were any amusingly-named achievements.

Edited, Jun 17th 2013 3:38am by Ruisu


Yes. I'm not sure it's actually working. There are some tradeskill ones and I can guarantee that I spammed a LOT of tradeskills over the weekend.


Like the manual stated newly created characters in P3 can't receive achievements currently. Considering that's a lot of back and forth checking between client and server I'm not surprised they turned it off right now.
#204 Jun 17 2013 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Well I am pleasantly surprised. So far I am loving the game. I like the combat system and love you can level through quests... I have played ffxi for a long time and this game seems to be ffxi without the things I hated about ffxi,, I like it holds your hand early on teaching you the game. It is easier too and not as much grind,, You do a quest you get exp, gear etc. You don't feel like your are doing a quest for nothing. And the quests actually make sense and I don't have to open a wiki up to figure out where to go or what to do,,,,,, Bravo SE

To those complaining you have to start in a certain city thats because that where the guild is.. how would you do lower level quest in another city? You can not cross zones at that level,

I play on the ps3 and I fell like it is barely keeping up at times. So many times I stand there and have to wait for people to zone in...

I rate this game a 9.2 over all.... Micorsoft you messed up not allowing this on the 360 great game.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#205 Jun 18 2013 at 4:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
660 posts
I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after the beta this weekend. Part of that is playing on the PS3 with the ridiculousness of trying to adjust my display settings to have all of the text on my screen. I managed to get it so that most things fit, but about 1/3 of the left-hand side of the chat log won't display. Other than that, a friend and I got to level 15 in Gridania. It was fun running between FATEs for a while, amassing huge parties to run with. I'm not sure why, but I just don't enjoy it so far. I know it has a lot to do with not being able to type properly to other players to communicate with them or even see half of what's going on in the /shouts. I'll try it again later on when I'm using a different television.

However, I think I should also stick to DoL/DoH because combat is just not where it needs to be right now. I zoned out a lot keeping my friend cured during FATEs. She only ever died when something crazy happened beyond our control. Had some issues with my system freezing twice while trying to leave the sanctuary in the East Shroud... I'll give it another shot but right now it's not worth the $100 for the Collector's Edition.
____________________________
Nasozan, Midgardsormr Server. R.I.P.
75 BRD, SAM, WHM; 74 THF, BLM; 69 PLD, BST.
Darth Howie wrote:
Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.
- Squall 15:11
#206 Jun 18 2013 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Did anyone try on PC try Alt-TAB?

Still a no go?
#207 Jun 18 2013 at 5:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
261 posts
Alt tab worked fine for me in phase 2 and 3.
____________________________
Aller Bennel (Ultros)
#208 Jun 18 2013 at 5:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Sorry to double, but likely someone is bound to reply. So Tera you said

Teravibe wrote:
Now i don't know how was the crafting in 1.0 but i really like how it is in ARR.


In the spoiler, you will see, I feel, the definitive review of FFXIV 1.0


To summarize crafting in a nutshell: Play lousy mini-game for random prize!

Really there were three options for every craft, a standard move, a quick move, and a heavy move. And to this day, I'll be damned if I know what difference there was between them. Crafting items took ages. You can see him craft in that video and it is painful. Gathering, in my opinion, was even worse. Go up, play mini-game, and get random prize that may or may not even be a supply you were looking for.

It was rancid, and ridiculous.



I don't know if you really care to have the mystery solved but the old crafting system worked like this :


The goal was to get the progress bar to 100% before the item durability reached zero. As an added bonus, there was also a quality stat which improved your chances of HQing the item. Typically a main hand HQ would improve the quality rating (+1, +2 or +3) while an offhand HQ would increase quantity.

The three default crafting moves were standard, rapid, and bold. Standard is exactly as it sounds, a balanced amount of progress, quality, and low risk of duration depletion. Rapid was a gambling move where you staked a greater amount of durability loss (if the move failed) for a greater amount of progress and a lower amount of quality . Basically, it was a desperation move if your durability wasn't going to survive a couple more standard synths and your progress was too far from 100% to make it in one shot. Bold was a high stake move as well (again risking durability) but it was for raising quality higher while sacrificing progress. You'd use this to improve your chances at an HQ if you had lots of durability to gamble (higher quality ingredients gave you more durability to use in your synth).
#209 Jun 18 2013 at 5:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
273 posts
Nashred wrote:
Well I am pleasantly surprised. So far I am loving the game. I like the combat system and love you can level through quests... I have played ffxi for a long time and this game seems to be ffxi without the things I hated about ffxi,, I like it holds your hand early on teaching you the game. It is easier too and not as much grind,, You do a quest you get exp, gear etc. You don't feel like your are doing a quest for nothing. And the quests actually make sense and I don't have to open a wiki up to figure out where to go or what to do,,,,,, Bravo SE

To those complaining you have to start in a certain city thats because that where the guild is.. how would you do lower level quest in another city? You can not cross zones at that level,

I play on the ps3 and I fell like it is barely keeping up at times. So many times I stand there and have to wait for people to zone in...

I rate this game a 9.2 over all.... Micorsoft you messed up not allowing this on the 360 great game.



*must level through quests
____________________________


I probably understood about 1/10th of what was discussed in this thread and I'm sober as a rope. (I don't know if that's actually a saying or not). -Kierk
#210 Jun 18 2013 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
273 posts
Atkascha wrote:
I have a bit of a sour taste in my mouth after the beta this weekend. Part of that is playing on the PS3 with the ridiculousness of trying to adjust my display settings to have all of the text on my screen. I managed to get it so that most things fit, but about 1/3 of the left-hand side of the chat log won't display. Other than that, a friend and I got to level 15 in Gridania. It was fun running between FATEs for a while, amassing huge parties to run with. I'm not sure why, but I just don't enjoy it so far. I know it has a lot to do with not being able to type properly to other players to communicate with them or even see half of what's going on in the /shouts. I'll try it again later on when I'm using a different television.

However, I think I should also stick to DoL/DoH because combat is just not where it needs to be right now. I zoned out a lot keeping my friend cured during FATEs. She only ever died when something crazy happened beyond our control. Had some issues with my system freezing twice while trying to leave the sanctuary in the East Shroud... I'll give it another shot but right now it's not worth the $100 for the Collector's Edition.


As a temporary fix, why not adjust the location of the chat box? (Not sure if that's possible of ps3)

Does anyone else miss the chat bar of XI? I loved how you could see large amounts of text at once, in XIV the text is much more crammed... although I know you can adjust the size, but then you cover other things up.
____________________________


I probably understood about 1/10th of what was discussed in this thread and I'm sober as a rope. (I don't know if that's actually a saying or not). -Kierk
#211 Jun 18 2013 at 5:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,075 posts
Only thing I'd really want to do with the XIV chat is set up another window to put on the right for less imperative things like drops received or other stuff acquired. I like to keep my left box solely for chat, of which I'm also likely to filter out global chat later on.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#212 Jun 18 2013 at 6:01 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
273 posts
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
Sorry to double, but likely someone is bound to reply. So Tera you said

Teravibe wrote:
Now i don't know how was the crafting in 1.0 but i really like how it is in ARR.


In the spoiler, you will see, I feel, the definitive review of FFXIV 1.0


To summarize crafting in a nutshell: Play lousy mini-game for random prize!

Really there were three options for every craft, a standard move, a quick move, and a heavy move. And to this day, I'll be damned if I know what difference there was between them. Crafting items took ages. You can see him craft in that video and it is painful. Gathering, in my opinion, was even worse. Go up, play mini-game, and get random prize that may or may not even be a supply you were looking for.

It was rancid, and ridiculous.

Now, viewing the videos and hearing the feedback, I am 90% certain they followed what I said they should. I think the post is among those nuked (I am certain I posted something here on it), but basically I said that the needed to model it after EQII's risk/reward system.

Basically EQ2's system when I played, when you started crafting, you had two bars, a progress bar and a stress bar. As you crafted, both bars gradually filled. Depending on your skill, your materials, and the quality of the forge/workbench you used, progress would go faster, stress slower. You could stop crafting at any point. If you let the progress bar fill, you could wait and it would restart and up the quality of what you were making.

To use an example, let's say you are making chainmail. The first progress bar would have said Shoddy Chainmail. Once that filled, you would then get to Chainmail. Let it go more and you might get Fine Chainmail, and so on. Each stage upped the stats on the item. If ever the stress filled, you blew the synth and lost all progress except for skillups gained.

It was a brilliant system, and I thought if SE could duplicate it, but modify it to fit in more with the game it would have truly been a master stroke for them.


Edited, Jun 16th 2013 12:37pm by Pawkeshup



Lmao this review of XIV 1.0 is f'ing hilarious!
____________________________


I probably understood about 1/10th of what was discussed in this thread and I'm sober as a rope. (I don't know if that's actually a saying or not). -Kierk
#213 Jun 18 2013 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?
#214 Jun 18 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Default
*
130 posts
I'd certainly recommend it the first time.
But you can get to 15 pretty quickly doing field kills/fates, or saved up levequests. Especially leves with a partner or group.

Then bang. Level 15 you go into dungeons and don't come out till 50.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#215 Jun 18 2013 at 6:53 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
273 posts
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?


Sorry you're right... those are options.

I suppose I'm just continually miffed that world xping has been functionally eliminated as an option. It was one of my favorite endeavors in unspeakable versions of FF (for fear of karma bombardment) past.

P.s. why the question mark after the No? Was that to show you REALLY disagreed?

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 8:54pm by Parathyroid
____________________________


I probably understood about 1/10th of what was discussed in this thread and I'm sober as a rope. (I don't know if that's actually a saying or not). -Kierk
#216 Jun 18 2013 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Parathyroid wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?


Sorry you're right... those are options.

I suppose I'm just continually miffed that world xping has been functionally eliminated as an option. It was one of my favorite endeavors in unspeakable versions of FF (for fear of karma bombardment) past.

P.s. why the question mark after the No? Was that to show you REALLY disagreed?

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 8:54pm by Parathyroid


Nah, it was more just confusion, because I was pretty sure you were in the beta, but made it sound like you weren't based on saying the only way to level was through quests, which is false. Hence why I asked the question at the end, which apparently came off snarky considering it got defaulted immediately.

I will say I agree that I wish there was the ability to form up parties and effectively just xp grind for an hour or two and do it at a rate that was equivalent to other means of leveling. I think that would be quite nice, as I enjoyed that in FFXI. Perhaps it is possible at higher levels, who knows?
#217 Jun 18 2013 at 7:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
262 posts
Kind of off topic I know, but that currency you could pick as an option as quest rewards, is that something special to hold onto like beastmen seals were back in ffxi? Or is it something just to trade in for some extra gil?
#218 Jun 18 2013 at 7:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
273 posts
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?


Sorry you're right... those are options.

I suppose I'm just continually miffed that world xping has been functionally eliminated as an option. It was one of my favorite endeavors in unspeakable versions of FF (for fear of karma bombardment) past.

P.s. why the question mark after the No? Was that to show you REALLY disagreed?

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 8:54pm by Parathyroid


Nah, it was more just confusion, because I was pretty sure you were in the beta, but made it sound like you weren't based on saying the only way to level was through quests, which is false. Hence why I asked the question at the end, which apparently came off snarky considering it got defaulted immediately.

I will say I agree that I wish there was the ability to form up parties and effectively just xp grind for an hour or two and do it at a rate that was equivalent to other means of leveling. I think that would be quite nice, as I enjoyed that in FFXI. Perhaps it is possible at higher levels, who knows?


Yeah I suppose it's ok though! The game is somehow surprisingly very enjoyable in spite of missing some elements I normally equate with good gameplay.

In fact, I haven't really looked forward to playing a game like this since I don't even know when... this game has somehow really grabbed my attention!
____________________________


I probably understood about 1/10th of what was discussed in this thread and I'm sober as a rope. (I don't know if that's actually a saying or not). -Kierk
#219 Jun 20 2013 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Hatamaz wrote:
Kind of off topic I know, but that currency you could pick as an option as quest rewards, is that something special to hold onto like beastmen seals were back in ffxi? Or is it something just to trade in for some extra gil?


We've just been NPCing it for gil.

Watch SE do something with it, though.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#220 Jun 20 2013 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Parathyroid wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?


Sorry you're right... those are options.

I suppose I'm just continually miffed that world xping has been functionally eliminated as an option. It was one of my favorite endeavors in unspeakable versions of FF (for fear of karma bombardment) past.

P.s. why the question mark after the No? Was that to show you REALLY disagreed?

Edited, Jun 18th 2013 8:54pm by Parathyroid



By world xping you mean this xp parties i've been hearing? If so i guess you could say that FATEs can work in a similar way. I mean you make a party and you go hunting FATEs for the xp money and seals the xp from them is pretty good and with a party it will go a lot faster.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#221 Jun 20 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
Parathyroid wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Parathyroid wrote:
*must level through quests


...No? There are FATEs, dungeons, leves, and guildhests. Did you even play the beta?


Sorry you're right... those are options.

I suppose I'm just continually miffed that world xping has been functionally eliminated as an option. It was one of my favorite endeavors in unspeakable versions of FF (for fear of karma bombardment) past.


Honestly I think world XP has just changed forms is all.

You can still use elements such as Leves and Fates with your fiends and XP out in the open world this way - and it's still effective to do so this way. However the old form of XP camping is no longer open world, and I find myself agreeing with that philosophy.

As much as I enjoyed hanging out and ganking monsters casually, I still, after years and years, have a sour taste in my mount form competitive burn parties that attempted to run one another out, or isolating out certain classes or players because a specific one is most efficient for the role. It simply was a huge mess when we think about it pragmatically.

What they did with Guildhests, Dungeons, and other Duty Finder roles is remove these flaws.

- They reduced the repetition of runs by creating objective based raids and guildhests instead of just killing a single monster over and over again - this is probably the only controversial issue here - as people miss the almost therapeutic rhythm it instilled.
- They reduced the gil bleed caused by spending time with only one monster, by allowing Gear and Gil-yeilding loot to be acquired in the runs, which reduces the need for having to have an alternate gil source just to get by.
- They flatly eliminated camp competition by giving each group their own instance to play at their on leisure.
- They flatly eliminated role-monopolizing with Duty Finder anonymously pairing you with any class of the appropriate role should you choose to use it.
- They assisted in the education of party roles in raids, bosses, and dungeon runs by creating them of easier difficulty as part of the leveling process.
- And mandatory Level Syncing for these events outright prevents power leveling.

All these are benefits of the current system, all of them address complaints that were prevalent in both FFXI and FFXIV 1.xx.

The sacrifice is that in order to encourage the use of that, the old version of XP camping cannot really be viable or some will choose the bypass it, which will re-institute many of the same problems we once complained about, especially about individuals unprepared for raid formats if power leveling becomes prevalent again.

So while part of me will miss the old exploring a new area to visit a new XP camp, another part of me is thrilled that they created such a concise solution to all of the old XP party problems. And when thinking about it at length, I am willing to make the trade - with the feedback note that I will likely want another reason to explore the far ends of each area to replace the xp camp hunting.
#222 Jun 22 2013 at 5:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
837 posts
Ok i did my first sastasha run today. The dungeon was pretty nice well made i believe. Its the first one you get to do and it is located in Limsa be warned though to have the quest before trying to do it.

The negative thing from this lovely experience is that while the rest of the people in the party were pretty much ok at fighting they freekin abused the **** greed/need faction because they were friends. They were hitting need in almost every thing even if it wasn't their main class. I was furious cause i was greeding to everything not for my class while they didn't.They could just say that they need it for an off class but i guess they didn't even bother with me. And when something was for one of party members class the rest were passing and he was the only to need.

Ahh this brings back memories from my wow days and all that duch$%ing some people were doing. I swear after the release if people do this to me i will instantly quit the party or make their lives a living **** until they quit the dungeon.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#223 Jun 22 2013 at 5:56 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Ok i did my first sastasha run today. The dungeon was pretty nice well made i believe. Its the first one you get to do and it is located in Limsa be warned though to have the quest before trying to do it.

The negative thing from this lovely experience is that while the rest of the people in the party were pretty much ok at fighting they freekin abused the **** greed/need faction because they were friends. They were hitting need in almost every thing even if it wasn't their main class. I was furious cause i was greeding to everything not for my class while they didn't.They could just say that they need it for an off class but i guess they didn't even bother with me. And when something was for one of party members class the rest were passing and he was the only to need.

Ahh this brings back memories from my wow days and all that duch$%ing some people were doing. I swear after the release if people do this to me i will instantly quit the party or make their lives a living **** until they quit the dungeon.



Situations like that are always the worst. For now I'm going with everyone knowing it's all getting wiped so what's the point, scenario. Once the lights go on for real I think most people will abide the honor rule. But wow...

I remember I would get so fed up with some people in EQ DCing with a drop. One time I sat at a camp for roughly an hour waiting for him to come back just so I could call him a douche! His immediate DCing once again gave me a modicum of satisfaction.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#224 Jun 22 2013 at 6:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
16 posts
after two weekends playing Beta and trying out all three starting cities here is my subjective review of the game:

It is a lot of fun !! i have suffered during weekdays between the two beta weekends waiting for the game, from the first cut scene to the first few quests and fights i am enjoying this game

to anyone who criticizes graphics or visuals of FFXIV i ask you: What is your benchmark ?

I'm not hardcore but i tried the trial versions of few other games recently (GW2, Diablo3, EVE, EQ2, WOW) and i dont think any of them competes with FFXIV in terms of graphics (and i did couple of years with FFXI) and its not just the graphics its the attention to details that makes buying an expensive PC and setting graphics to maximum all worth while

the effort that went into designing the worlds, the characters, the different equipment and gear, the monsters, the music and sound effects all makes this an enjoyable experience for me .. i know i sound like a fanboy right now but i really felt grateful to SE for giving us such a great game (i have tried a lot of online and offline RPGs recently and didnt like any) and this is why i started my post by saying this my "subjective review"

few glitches and issues here and there which i reported at the beta feedback forums

to conclude i want to use the criteria which sandpark suggested which i think is aa good way to give feedback:

Story: 9 so far and im still at level 11, the quests do tell an interesting story (yes i read the storyline when i get a quest)

Quests: 8 what i like is that they give you good deal of exp, money and equipment while keeping you entertained (until level 10 at least)

Combat: 7 the systems seems simple so far (which i dont mind) but im sure will get more complicated as you get more abilities and play within a group

Visuals: out of 10 ? i would give FFXIV '1873648736487346' and i think is better than real world O_o

Accessibility: not sure what this means

Good Tutorials: 7 yah wasnt bad, if you do the first few quests should give you a decent introduction to how the game works

Crafting: tried it in V1 and wasnt bad but not having an AH made it a nightmare to get items, so far AAR beta doesnt have crafting so we will have to wait and see (would give it 7 based on my short V1 experience)

Pace of level progression: Quick (compared to FFXi) which i really like since i work long hours and cant spend my life leveling

FATES: 8 im loving those .. so much fun but could get chaotic

Fun: 10/10 .. i might quit my job .. forsake my family and friends for this game (btw what happened to that "dont forget your family and friends" disclaimer at the beginning of the game ?)

Uniqueness of systems: not sure what this means but one thing i noticed recently is that UIs and combat systems of all new MMOs are becoming similar, they are learning from each other

Music: 9 .. i wouldnt turn the game music off

Overall rating: 8 to 9 i would say ... my only regret is that i cant dedicate more hours to play this game *_*

#225 Jun 22 2013 at 7:18 AM Rating: Decent
*
210 posts
Crafting is available, you just have to unlock it. Will this game have an AH?
#226 Jun 22 2013 at 7:28 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
keflynmahon wrote:
Crafting is available, you just have to unlock it. Will this game have an AH?


They call it the Market Board. Runs about the same, you'll find it in the major market areas of each nation capital. I don't know if the smaller towns have it as I'm 50 and really not in the need of gear until phase 4.
#227 Jun 22 2013 at 7:35 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
746 posts
It's a lot better than 1.0. Global cooldown could stand to be removed/lowered. Graphics look nicer than I remember. Even though I know what stats do, there should be a tooltip explanation when you mouse over them. Aetherytes should allow you to access the aethernet... maybe you can and I just didn't notice it. I know it's a small thing, but the style of the text boxes for quests and stuff is really nice. It's also the only other mmo besides TERA, that I know of, that gives east coasters a ping below 50. Subscription requirement is going to make the game have a low playerbase after a while, though.
#228 Jun 22 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Teravibe wrote:
Ok i did my first sastasha run today. The dungeon was pretty nice well made i believe. Its the first one you get to do and it is located in Limsa be warned though to have the quest before trying to do it.

The negative thing from this lovely experience is that while the rest of the people in the party were pretty much ok at fighting they freekin abused the **** greed/need faction because they were friends. They were hitting need in almost every thing even if it wasn't their main class. I was furious cause i was greeding to everything not for my class while they didn't.They could just say that they need it for an off class but i guess they didn't even bother with me. And when something was for one of party members class the rest were passing and he was the only to need.

Ahh this brings back memories from my wow days and all that duch$%ing some people were doing. I swear after the release if people do this to me i will instantly quit the party or make their lives a living **** until they quit the dungeon.

All the loot systems in 1.0 were Yoshi seeking for a way to do away with these types of systems. I guess he didn't get a version that people were satisfied with since the need/greed is being implemented.

Unless your running in a guild. A player can choose whatever item they want to need and have real or made up excuses.
#229 Jun 22 2013 at 7:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
837 posts
I like the need/greed system. Most of the times back in Wow everyone would follow the simple rule..need if you need greed if you don't.

The system is not broken not even bad if it goes bad it will be the players fault only. But let me tell you this...if someone is being an a.s.s. in the group 2 can play that game.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#230 Jun 22 2013 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
746 posts
It always makes sense to me, when drops are tradable, to just have the entire group roll need on it.
#231 Jun 22 2013 at 7:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
837 posts
That is why there is the greed...if it is trade able and no one needs it for their main class then you simple choose greed (hence why its called greed) and if you win it you can sell it or trade it.

There were many times in wow when someone would come as a healer but asked us to need in dps gear. This kind of arrangements would go before the instance start. If someone didn't agree then he would leave simple as that. At least in my servers there as i said before you would need if you needed it for your current class (unless there was an agreement before you would start) or if you didn't need it you would greed for gold.

It would be really annoying to need in a healer gear if you were dps and you would hear a lot of crap from the healer if he wanted it. If you needed it for your second class and it was trade able sometimes if the rest of the group cared they would tell you to wear it once so it would soulbound and you wouldn't be able to sell it to others but that would go for raids more not simple instances.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2013 9:59am by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#232 Jun 22 2013 at 9:07 AM Rating: Good
*
210 posts
My first impression is this. I want to play for real! I had a great time, but I'm finding it impossible to "commit" or read anything as I still want it to be mostly fresh for when I start for real. Just need to hurry up phrase 4!
#233 Jun 22 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
837 posts
So i guess from my downvotes you guys do not agree with my logic? Can you please state your opinion of why someone is wrong not just downvote? How are we supposed to work as a forum if you just namelessly down vote and do not respond with a counter argument?


edit : I like this game Smiley: lol keep it coming!

Edited, Jun 22nd 2013 11:41am by Teravibe
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#234 Jun 22 2013 at 9:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
28 posts
Alright, so being that I stuck around through v1 to now and have played almost every inch of the game that I am allowed to play this is my feelings on it. Just a warning, I literally suck @ writing any type of review so bare with me :P

Graphics: I find the graphics simply amazing. However during CS's it seems as though the graphics suddenly take a turn for the worse. The area's are very immersive and I have explored almost every area that they allow me to drag my 50's too. Not sure if it's just textures loading in or what, but yes It does remind me of clay. I'm on max settings and I am impressed that even with a mid grade computer like mine, it runs rather smoothly.

Combat: Now that we've got the "How do you know that the game will be easy later on? Or could you somehow test 35-50 stuff"
Combat is still easy. Even when fighting lv 50 Mobs, its still a matter of mindless button pushing. Yes this is different in Dungeons and honestly I am okay with it. I come from XI where most of your attacks if melee we auto. Of course you had your WS's and such, but unlike XIV you had to build TP to use it. Honestly though, in what game is combat really hard? TERA had some pretty decent mechanics when it came to your standard Mobs. Even then. it wasn't so much hard.

I do enjoy the combat and the "Get out of the Red!!", but I am having trouble deciding if it's just a bit too flashy. Solo is fine because I can still whats going on through the Fireworks display. Wen in a group however, suddenly it's like fourth of July on a Mobs face.

Control Scheme / UI: Works great, I primarily play with a Controller because I have a big screen TV I play on as well as a nice comfy recliner I sit in. I do however, find it hard to organize my abilities on the controller as I don't have enough room with flipping through sets. Which again, is okay.

All in all, I'm pretty amazed at how XIV has evolved, and I think Yoshi has done an amazing job. I am old school however. I do enjoy group grinding, I do enjoy time sinks for great rewards, I do enjoy the journey more then the "End Game" and I absolutely HATE questing. But even through all this, XIV still has it's flaws and I doubt it will be the next big thing since sliced bread.. It will hold its own, in a sea of Theme Park MMOs.

____________________________
Kopuno -Remora -R10 San'doria
75 BLM RDM NIN BLU SMN BST THF all others 30-70 (Pre Abyssea, level sync) Retired - Thank you Abyssea

Kopuno Deblant -Balmung -Mindless Indulgence FC
50 BLM WAR WHM PLD 42 BRD

Join <<MIND>>less Indulgence on Balmung! (Legacy) http://mindlessffxiv.enjin.com/
#235 Jun 22 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
818 posts
I'm extremely impressed. I've been moving through the Limsa Main story all night and today. The battles along the way have been challenging (some taking me 5 tries or more), the cutscenes are actually fun to watch, and the storyline has been interesting. Strangely, this feels more like classic Final Fantasy than many of the last few offline Final Fantasies.
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#236 Jun 22 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Yeah, the combat is just as mindless on my level 50 character. I'm not sure why Yoshi-P said that it gets better. Other than the animations being admittedly cool on the higher level skills, it's still the same snooze fest, waiting for the GCD to mash the same few buttons. Very little thought required.

Failsociety wrote:
Combat: Now that we've got the "How do you know that the game will be easy later on? Or could you somehow test 35-50 stuff"
Combat is still easy. Even when fighting lv 50 Mobs, its still a matter of mindless button pushing. Yes this is different in Dungeons and honestly I am okay with it. I come from XI where most of your attacks if melee we auto. Of course you had your WS's and such, but unlike XIV you had to build TP to use it. Honestly though, in what game is combat really hard? TERA had some pretty decent mechanics when it came to your standard Mobs. Even then. it wasn't so much hard.


Well, I don't think people necessarily look for a MMORPG's combat system to be hard. For me, it needs to be engaging, which is way different.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2013 12:55pm by Killua125
#237 Jun 22 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
What class are you playing, Killua? Because I can tell you level 50 Dragoon is far, far from simplistic.

I mean, I can do a breakdown for you, but there is a lot to keep track of. Buffs, Debuffs, Rotations, positioning. And there's little to no major clutch mechanics like Proc Chance abilities or Stance Switching/Rotations to be done.

I really, really need to know what you're looking at.
#238 Jun 22 2013 at 11:55 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Well, I don't think people necessarily look for a MMORPG's combat system to be hard. For me, it needs to be engaging, which is way different.

This is pretty much an echo of what I've been saying since Alpha back in 2010. Slaughtering 5 of whatever for simple quests being mindless is fine, but battles later in the game need to be more than just mashing out 1-2-3 with the occasional movement away from AoE. I'm not saying it's like this now because I haven't played in a while. I expect the coming changes to combat to address this in some form, but XIV really needs something to make it stand out from the rest of the pool.

My question is, what is XIV going to be known for. As stated above, if you asked people what is unique or exceptional about a game they could say the combat system for TERA, PvP and raid progression for WoW, dynamic events for Rift and GW... how would someone answer this question in regards to XIV?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#239 Jun 22 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,773 posts
How about being good?

There does not need to be any grand innovation to draw in and keep an audience, and it's a misnomer to think so. That's simply a gimick.

Final Fantasy already has its own Gimick - that's being a Final Fantasy game. It has its own draw, own reputation. Not to mention the fact that they're turning this game around after being such a monumental failure before.

The redemption story alone will gather it attention. Beyond that it does not need to be ground-breaking - merely appealing in its execution.
#240Ostia, Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 12:14 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) For being the most unoriginal MMO
#241 Jun 22 2013 at 1:01 PM Rating: Excellent
OK I think people are not giving the combat enough credit. Let me put it this way: Anything that charges, you can dodge.

Sanguine Bite: Move out of melee range
Wing Cutter: Move to either side
Bubble Shower: Move behind FOR MAXIMUM DAMAGE

Positioning is king in this game. Need your MRD to tank more than one mob? Overpower when facing the group and cone-damage them.

I think people aren't really noticing how flexible this makes the system in future updates. All they need to do is alter where the damage goes and you effectively alter combat strategies. 1.23's final battle had a great example where you had to stay INSIDE AoE to be safe.

You cannot just AFK tank ****. You can if you have the ideal, maybe, but now you have to stay aware. Both storyline fights I've done require the party to pay attention, either due to adds or other gimmicks that require an immediate reaction.

What about the combat system do you NOT like? Reusing abilities? I mean, what did you expect, entering the Konami code every single fight? I can tell you, if I lay off using that 1-2-1-2-1-4 style of button pressing, the mob isn't going to be standing there if I am in a party, it's off to eat a mage or two. I mean, really, I think people are just burnt out on MMOs if you think refining and perfecting a combat system that, honestly, is not nearly as common as people think, is evidence of a failure...

Innovation for innovation's sake brought us 1.0. There are only so many ways to build an MMO. Don't like it? Try to think of a better design that isn't heavily dependent on a perfect internet connection, can be played without a controller featuring more buttons than mission control launch boards, and can be scaled and altered to accommodate new jobs and features.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#242 Jun 22 2013 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
Hyrist wrote:
How about being good?

There does not need to be any grand innovation to draw in and keep an audience, and it's a misnomer to think so. That's simply a gimick.

Final Fantasy already has its own Gimick - that's being a Final Fantasy game. It has its own draw, own reputation. Not to mention the fact that they're turning this game around after being such a monumental failure before.

The redemption story alone will gather it attention. Beyond that it does not need to be ground-breaking - merely appealing in its execution.


Maybe the question was misunderstood...

If someone asks you what you think about XIV, you can't really reply with "It's good". If you do, you're likely to receive a follow up question. "What about XIV makes it good?". Assume you are talking to someone who has played other MMOs and wants to know specifically why they should chose it over any of the others.

You may not need grand innovation to keep a playerbase, but when you're charging a subscription fee and other options are free; people want to know why they should pay a subscription and exactly what it's for.

FFXIV 1.0 was a FF game and it flopped. They've already proven that they can't float it on name alone without some substance. If this was going to be the first launch I might be inclined to agree with you, but the redemption story is only redemption because of failure. It might not need to be exceptional, but it at least needs to separate itself from the pack.

____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#243 Jun 22 2013 at 1:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Hyrist wrote:
How about being good?

There does not need to be any grand innovation to draw in and keep an audience, and it's a misnomer to think so. That's simply a gimick.

Final Fantasy already has its own Gimick - that's being a Final Fantasy game. It has its own draw, own reputation. Not to mention the fact that they're turning this game around after being such a monumental failure before.

The redemption story alone will gather it attention. Beyond that it does not need to be ground-breaking - merely appealing in its execution.

Hyrist I understand your opinion as well as Filthy or Ostia. For a Final Fantasy fan it doesn't need to be hugely different. We have had ATB in some form for many years. If SE goals is to only target FF fans then what you say has good merit. However, if they wish to reel in someone who in their eyes, isn't content just being FF is enough. Filthy and Ostia raise a big question mark. Reviewers are not going to give any extra points when things are done standard.

Due to the struggle they have had trying to make a unique battle scheme. Perhaps the best option would be just to move in the direction of using old FF systems. Now CTB or something turn based would not work here because of the nature of the battle system.

They could implement personal Limit Breaks. That wouldn't make it completely original, but it wouldn't be copying from others games except their own franchise, thereby making it original in a sense. Just make a bar that builds up by auto attack and being hit to fill it. Make three tiers of limit breaks. You can either use the first tier as soon as available or hold on to level 3. These personal limit breaks wouldn't be only group serving as they are currently. This would just be an area that highlights your personal jobs strength, further differentiating jobs.

Another option to do something that isn't just inherently FF. Is to implement a skill modifier feature. A holding down of a hotkey to manipulate effects of skills used. Not the traditional charge button you see in mmos. In this case holding down a hotkey longer wouldn't just mean. The longer I hold it, the stronger it is. They feature can allow manipulation of things like AoE, Conal range, mp conservation, accuracy, added effects, etc. And altering the skill would buff a direction chosen but weaken the other aspects of that particular skill.

Outside of the core PvE combat. They can do minigames, side PvE, and PvP stuff using the FF universe in it's entirety. I'd implement the old Active Time Event to highlight the lives of npcs everyday actions. This would make me care more about them. And not hold them to being non existant except when the content I am doing includes them. Maybe even a multiplayer synched video 10 second snapshot that tracks of what members of your guild are doing during the day?

Edited, Jun 22nd 2013 3:11pm by sandpark
#244 Jun 22 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Maybe the question was misunderstood...

If someone asks you what you think about XIV, you can't really reply with "It's good". If you do, you're likely to receive a follow up question. "What about XIV makes it good?". Assume you are talking to someone who has played other MMOs and wants to know specifically why they should chose it over any of the others.

You may not need grand innovation to keep a playerbase, but when you're charging a subscription fee and other options are free; people want to know why they should pay a subscription and exactly what it's for.

FFXIV 1.0 was a FF game and it flopped. They've already proven that they can't float it on name alone without some substance. If this was going to be the first launch I might be inclined to agree with you, but the redemption story is only redemption because of failure. It might not need to be exceptional, but it at least needs to separate itself from the pack.


OK, you want a sales pitch? For the uninitiated first,

FFXIV is one of the best, storyline driven MMOs you will play. It has a solid combat mechanic that enables you, the player, through reacting to easy to identify visual clues, respond and avoid enemy attacks. It has an easy-to-use interface, allowing you to focus more on your playing than spending hours working on a set of commands to be "perfect" at your job. The questing is not some grand mystery, so instead of having to hunt across internet forums, you can just use the in-game quest tracker to find out where you need to go, and instead focus on what you will do when you get there. You are provided with gear that will carry you just fine through the opening of the game, so no need to stop and gather money for the ultimate, perfect gear.

In short, FFXIV is about playing a game, not slaving in a virtual world. It is fun, easily understood, and easy to get into. And given the company's history on its previous game, we know that they will add a great deal of depth given the solid, strong base of what they had now.

For the FFXI player:

This game is everything you wished FFXI was. It plays well solo for the most part, requiring parties with teamwork for dungeons. However, you do not need perfect, idealized configurations to win. The mechanics allow for unorthodox setups to win, even if they need to be more aware when fighting. This game trumps ideal gear and job combos with a need for skillful, smart play. Get a good group rolling into a dungeon and you will steamroll it. Get a poor group and you can eek out a victory by brains and tactics.

This game has a stronger combat system, a more comprehensible quest system, and a vivid, fully realized world that you would expect from Square-Enix. Even to the smallest details, like NPC dialogue changing on the fly due to changing conditions around the NPC, the game is every bit as polished as we had wished FFXI would one day be.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#245 Jun 22 2013 at 1:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
7,544 posts
100% Better than the V 1.0 so far. Here is hoping that SE continues working with the community as they have been. I was actually opposed to this game based on principle from the way SE dealt with the testers last time (mostly by ignoring them), but having played and seen the progress made based on testers input I am excited.

Still don't know if I will buy it, but for the content that is readily available, it feels both casual and hardcore friendly which is something I desperately need. If they are able to maintain the feeling of progress and adventure for people with less play time I might give it a whirl. Since it is all new though its hard to say whether its just exciting for now or will be able to maintain going forward.

In any regard this game is truly a realm reborn and despite my purchase or not I think SE has done a great job working with the community in designing a game that will be enjoyable to old vets of MMOs and newbies alike.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#246 Jun 22 2013 at 1:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Here's how my little baby GLA quest fights have gone.

5 5 1 7 1 7 1 3 1 3 5 ***** 2 5 1 7 (pop hi pot) 1 3 1 3 DIE YOU STUPID 1 3 1 3 aaaaaand it finally dies. You have to Flash to AOE provoke a group, then do the damage rotation to refill your MP, then try to lay in a little actual damage, then pop up the defense boost, and keep picking at it. You get one shot at a hi potion a minute so you need to time it right for maximum effectiveness.

And that's just for the level 10 quest fight. It's not mindless in the least - it's a delicate balance between doing enough damage to kill the **** mobs and keeping your MP restored enough to last you the whole fight (which has three waves of mobs.)

I had a lot of fun doing the DPS rotations on my 42 THM. Lower level stuff that doesn't link to a level 20 player will totally dogpile on a higher level player, so an easy solo fight suddenly can involve 3-4 monsters, none of which could easily kill you, but who can make it annoying since Sleep doesn't last very long. It's a nifty mechanic that turns a ho hum boring fight into something a bit more interesting.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#247Ostia, Posted: Jun 22 2013 at 1:52 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Smiley: lol Lmao! I seriously cannot stop laughing when people say stupid stuff like "The story is 9 out of 10... And i am only lvl 6" Smiley: lol
#248 Jun 22 2013 at 1:54 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Also a group from this forum, beat an instance w/o a healer..... The first time they even set foot into an ARR dungeon.... Yeah combat is not easy... Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#249 Jun 22 2013 at 2:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Here is a posting with Yoshi explaining his point of view on the mmo industry and their design philosophy.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/forums/thread/388196/page/1
#250 Jun 22 2013 at 2:03 PM Rating: Good
*
232 posts
Ostia wrote:
Also a group from this forum, beat an instance w/o a healer..... The first time they even set foot into an ARR dungeon.... Yeah combat is not easy... Smiley: lol


Just out of curiosity, how many of those members carried Cure with them? Did they bring potions? Or did they rely on resting between battles? Given the way the game is set up, beating an early dungeon without a dedicated healer doesn't really seem like a good indicator of difficulty.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#251 Jun 22 2013 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,544 posts
Ostia wrote:
Also a group from this forum, beat an instance w/o a healer..... The first time they even set foot into an ARR dungeon.... Yeah combat is not easy... Smiley: lol


Just because a group of people are capable of doing something doesn't mean everyone is. People on this site have been playing their various MMO's for years, and many of them likely graduates of FFXI. Considering the stark mechanical similarities shared between XI and XIV I am not surprised a group from Alla Zam are capable of pulling off interesting feats.

I mean in XI you had jobs capable of soloing mobs that some groups found hard to take down, doesn't mean the game is easy, it just means that some people have more skill than others.

If its commonplace to clear dungeons without healers, than maybe something should be looked at, but I haven't heard or seen it being done outside this singular incident. (admittedly I don't follow any other forums or communities outside ZAM).

One thing I do know Combat is 100 times more enjoyable than XI ever was. (at least as a mage)

Edited, Jun 22nd 2013 4:05pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (80)