Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Class ImpressionsFollow

#1 Jun 16 2013 at 3:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
Just wondering what everyone did in beta and how they felt about their favorite classes and whatnot.

I started as PUG, rerolled another PUG and got it to 16, then grinded (ground?) GLA to 16 as well. After that I swapped to CON and got it to 11. So far I think that CON is my favorite of the three. I slapped the Crit ability from PUG on it and was blowing everything up while kiting like a champ. I didn't get a chance to do any Dungeons yet, but I figured that I would prepare my preferred classes for them so I could see what each is like. I have a feeling I will be maining CON and GLA though, PUG seemed underpowered, especially while soloing. GLA has nearly double the HP of PUG and never dies, while CON can kite anything to death... Except when you kite monster out of their leash range.

I can't wait to jump into Dungeons when I get back on! From what I've seen, healers are in short supply, just like I assumed.

Did anyone get a chance to play both Marauder and Gladiator? Was Marauder as tanky as it was before? DOes it have the hate tools it used to? Gladiator seemed to have plenty of them. I tanked a couple of FATES just by spamming Flash. It seems like GLA can hold threat just fine if they initiate or attack soon after.

____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#2 Jun 16 2013 at 4:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
I tried CON at phase 2 and i liked him quite a lot. Maybe not as i wanted to cause i had some issues with the battle system but nevertheless it wasn't bad! I know they changed CON quite a bit in phase 3 so i guess i would like him more if i try him again.

For phase 3 i choose THM and most likely this is the class ill get in release as well. I really enjoyed playing with him up to level 16. His spells are nice and i like the way you use your skills when fighting. Animations for the spells were also nice to see. So personally i would give the THM class a solid 9.5/10.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#3 Jun 16 2013 at 4:11 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I didn't get a chance to try THM, but the ones I saw were destroying everything...Well the ones that knew how to dodge abilities that is XD. Next weekend I'll probably slap on a staff and try THM out and see if it has any abilities that compliment CON.. I don't know if Clereic Stance is Cross Class or not, but it might be decent for THM at lower levels.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#4 Jun 16 2013 at 4:13 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
377 posts
Granted I only got to play it up to level 10 but, I really liked the Gladiator. My biggest issue with the class though is that, for a class that is supposed to be for sword and board(tanking) style play, two enemies could just about wipe the floor with you. A tank should be able to handle two enemies with out an issue in my own opinion. Also, the issue with skills costing so little and TP regenerating at an insane speed bothered me and I hope they balance that before launch. Other than that, the class played how I expected and I had fun with it. I would give it a 6.5/10 due to the issues I mentioned. They fix those and it's a 10/10 for me.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#5 Jun 16 2013 at 4:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
I didn't get a chance to try THM, but the ones I saw were destroying everything...Well the ones that knew how to dodge abilities that is XD. Next weekend I'll probably slap on a staff and try THM out and see if it has any abilities that compliment CON.. I don't know if Clereic Stance is Cross Class or not, but it might be decent for THM at lower levels.


Cleric Stance is cross class and may be useful early on.

AS you progress though, stat stacking on INT for Magic Damage is going to be undone by the MND/INT switch that comes with Cleric Stance.

I played THM to 17 and CON to 8. Cure and Protect make THM much easier and save a lot of hassle with the level 15 class quests (but it means you do have to run from Uldah to Gridania if you start in Uldah as I did).
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#6 Jun 16 2013 at 4:17 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
princessary wrote:
Granted I only got to play it up to level 10 but, I really liked the Gladiator. My biggest issue with the class though is that, for a class that is supposed to be for sword and board(tanking) style play, two enemies could just about wipe the floor with you. A tank should be able to handle two enemies with out an issue in my own opinion. Also, the issue with skills costing so little and TP regenerating at an insane speed bothered me and I hope they balance that before launch. Other than that, the class played how I expected and I had fun with it. I would give it a 6.5/10 due to the issues I mentioned. They fix those and it's a 10/10 for me.


After 10 or so I really started noticing the job coming into it's own. Cross Classing in Cure and Second WInd made survivablity go up. Plus at 13 you get a decent shield and 15 you get heavy armor. Toward the end I didn't feel like anything was going to kill me easily. I was Flashing groups of FATE mobs and surviving just fine. I might have had a healer, but they weren't knocking me down too quick or anything.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#7 Jun 16 2013 at 4:20 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
377 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
princessary wrote:
Granted I only got to play it up to level 10 but, I really liked the Gladiator. My biggest issue with the class though is that, for a class that is supposed to be for sword and board(tanking) style play, two enemies could just about wipe the floor with you. A tank should be able to handle two enemies with out an issue in my own opinion. Also, the issue with skills costing so little and TP regenerating at an insane speed bothered me and I hope they balance that before launch. Other than that, the class played how I expected and I had fun with it. I would give it a 6.5/10 due to the issues I mentioned. They fix those and it's a 10/10 for me.


After 10 or so I really started noticing the job coming into it's own. Cross Classing in Cure and Second WInd made survivablity go up. Plus at 13 you get a decent shield and 15 you get heavy armor. Toward the end I didn't feel like anything was going to kill me easily. I was Flashing groups of FATE mobs and surviving just fine. I might have had a healer, but they weren't knocking me down too quick or anything.


Thats good to know.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#8 Jun 16 2013 at 4:22 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
377 posts
Out of curiousity, once I can change class, if I want to take on a class from another city do I have to run to that city? Or can I do it from my starting city?
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#9 Jun 16 2013 at 4:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
you have to go do a simple chat quest in the class's guild hall. after that they give you a weapon and you can change at any time.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#10 Jun 16 2013 at 4:27 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
377 posts
So I'll have to make the initial run to Grindania with my GLA then to become a WHM? Thats gonna stink.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#11 Jun 16 2013 at 4:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
you can wait until you get your airship pass at 15. that makes things a bit easier I suppose. I have a feeling I'm going to start CON when characters are wiped since it seemed to have the easiest time soloing. after i get it to 15 i can move on from there without much trouble.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#12 Jun 16 2013 at 6:06 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
managed to lvl THM to 25, and the class is just nasty when it comes to dmg XD especially love the spell Seathe (instant nuke). Fire II is not really effective though, compared to Blizzard II that is, since it cost a vast amount of MP to cast Fire II and it doesn't do THAT much damage compared to Blizzard II, and you can spam Blizzard II until the end of time without running out of mp, so whenever I needed to do AOE I just spammed Blizzard II, Fire II was only really used if I wanted to keep my distance :P Otherwise a really fun class to play :D and their Limit Breaks are freaking awesome, even the lvl 1.
#13 Jun 16 2013 at 6:09 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Made a gargantuan female Roegadyn pugilist. Breezed through the 1st day getting to level 11 without trouble. 2nd day started smooth, but then the difficulty did pick up. Died a couple times to some of the FATE NMs, and also had to retry the level 15 main & class quests multiple times. Leveling pugilist with no abilities from other classes and wearing only quest rewards was rough for me on that tougher solo content. It certainly felt weak at times.

Some better gear and borrowing a few key abilities from other classes might've been helpful. Especially in the survivability department. Didn't really have the time for all that though.
#14 Jun 16 2013 at 6:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
princessary wrote:
Granted I only got to play it up to level 10 but, I really liked the Gladiator. My biggest issue with the class though is that, for a class that is supposed to be for sword and board(tanking) style play, two enemies could just about wipe the floor with you. A tank should be able to handle two enemies with out an issue in my own opinion. Also, the issue with skills costing so little and TP regenerating at an insane speed bothered me and I hope they balance that before launch. Other than that, the class played how I expected and I had fun with it. I would give it a 6.5/10 due to the issues I mentioned. They fix those and it's a 10/10 for me.

I think the reason why GLD does not have too high native defense is that would make it lean more to the PLD side. Maybe a stance that returns HP with melee attacks or weaponskills would bring that close to the effect you want, without sacrificing it's damage potential?
#15 Jun 16 2013 at 6:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
210 posts
I really enjoyed how they completely redesigned THM. I feel like it's kind of a throwback to FF1 where you start off as a black mage and then become a wizard later. Obviously, that's not exactly how it is, but it gives me that impression, and I like it!
#16 Jun 16 2013 at 6:57 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
I was playing a GLD, seems fun. I didn't go any dungeons, I just got it to lvl 15 before we had to stop. I didn't know you could adopt different class skills, having a cure spell might makes things a bit easier? Also, if I'm tanking a dungeon, which I hope to be soon, should I just be spamming flash the entire time?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#17 Jun 16 2013 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
I started playing MRD last night, but only got it to lvl 6. You get your first hate management tool at 5, and i pretty much murdered everything i fought while taking little dmg. I think MRD will probably be a solid tank option.
Also got CNJ to 15 and THM to 7. Will probably work on that a little more next weekend, but tbh, i'm liking my MRD so i might just see that class through.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 9:33am by Teneleven
____________________________

#18 Jun 16 2013 at 8:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I started playing MRD last night, but only got it to lvl 6. You get your first hate management tool at 5, and i pretty much murdered everything i fought while taking little dmg. I think MRD will probably be a solid tank option.
Also got CNJ to 15 and THM to 7. Will probably work on that a little more next weekend, but tbh, i'm liking my MRD so i might just see that class through.

So far my Impression is that MRD is a much more aggressive tank than GLD. While the latter needs abilities to keep hate, the former just really ****** off enemies by hitting them straight in the face with his AOE attacks. If you are good on MRD, you can hold hate AND kill stuff at the same time with it; something that is hard to achieve with GLD.

I also liked the uniqueness bonus I had as a marauder. For every MRD in the beta, there were about five or so GLDs.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 10:08am by Rinsui
#19 Jun 16 2013 at 8:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I started playing MRD last night, but only got it to lvl 6. You get your first hate management tool at 5, and i pretty much murdered everything i fought while taking little dmg. I think MRD will probably be a solid tank option.
Also got CNJ to 15 and THM to 7. Will probably work on that a little more next weekend, but tbh, i'm liking my MRD so i might just see that class through.

So far my Impression is that MRD is a much more aggressive tank than GLD. While the latter needs abilities to keep hate, the former just really ****** off enemies by hitting them straight in the face with his AOE attacks. If you are good on MRD, you can hold hate AND kill stuff at the same time with it; something that is hard to achieve with GLD.

I also liked the uniqueness bonus I had as a marauder. For every MRD in the beta, there were about five or so GLDs.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 10:08am by Rinsui


What you just said made me want to be a MRD, and drop my GLD. MRD don't use shields, do they? How does that work, do you take a lot of damage?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#20 Jun 16 2013 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
No shields. MRD uses a two handed axe. So far, good defense, and solid offense makes putting an axe to mob's faces fun. I'm looking forward to the 1.0 char addition so i can play my old 20 something MRD.
____________________________

#21 Jun 16 2013 at 8:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
61 posts
Did MRD as well it was a lot of fun 10+. I ran with my LS so I got to see everything up to Ifirt and even got to tank Ifirt. I think GLD use flash for threat ti 20 or 22 they did fine single target but multi was all MRD.
#22 Jun 16 2013 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
I started as GLD, i read the guild changing requirements wrong i thought you just had to get to lvl 10 lol, long storry short i got GLD lvl 10, then i started Mineing witch was really fun, it was pretty easy to lvl since the points respawn really fast, i reached lvl 10 on mineing. After about 5 hours of strait mineing i had enough ingredients to lvl goldsmithing and armouring to lvl 9. Crafting is very easy and pretty fun i enjoyed haveing all the recipes on hand, i can see it fun trying to gather a bunch of +1 ingredients and then useing them to craft +1 items. My main goal for when the servers are back up is to get my crafting and gathering higher so i can materia craft, i wanna run a pure GLD tank by just throwing as much HP into my gear as i can lol,

I just like makeing my own gear and jewelry!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#23 Jun 16 2013 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#24 Jun 16 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?


I'd like to hear more about the fishing as well. I'm a little disappointed that it went 'recreational' so it wasn't on my priority list of things to do.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#25 Jun 16 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
9 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:
I didn't get a chance to try THM, but the ones I saw were destroying everything...Well the ones that knew how to dodge abilities that is XD. Next weekend I'll probably slap on a staff and try THM out and see if it has any abilities that compliment CON.. I don't know if Clereic Stance is Cross Class or not, but it might be decent for THM at lower levels.


Cleric Stance is cross class and may be useful early on.

AS you progress though, stat stacking on INT for Magic Damage is going to be undone by the MND/INT switch that comes with Cleric Stance.

I played THM to 17 and CON to 8. Cure and Protect make THM much easier and save a lot of hassle with the level 15 class quests (but it means you do have to run from Uldah to Gridania if you start in Uldah as I did).


i totally forgot about the cross class skill mechanic until i hit level 17 on my THM and someone invited to Tama Tara. i said "we have no healer.". and someone said, "you're the healer" and i was like, "lol? i'm a THM!?" well, we tried to go through the dungeon anyway for the story quest, but we couldn't kill the last boss, though it was very close to 10% hp left.

if i had known to level CNJ, the level 17 class and story quests (the ones where level 17 was limit and if you're above it would synch you under, i did them at 15) wouldn't have been such a pain. i had to think more about the mechanic of the fights and use the only tools i had to beat it. grant it it frustrated the **** out of me and i thought SE overdone the difficulty in response to people saying it was too easy at phase 2 (i didn't play any beta until now), but in retrospect i feel like i outsmarted the game. hehe. encounters like these were common in FFXI and if you didn't know any tricks, it's futile and you just either give up or get help from others. i like it that way.

after that, i went to Grinadia and leveled CNJ to 8, then went back to THM to test it out. very nice maybe too nice. i joined another TTD and Coppermine group as a healer and had no problems healing and dps'ing at the same time. this will make grinding, questing, and dungeon matching easier. do i want that? hmmm. i like hard. we'll see if it's still hard after level 20.


Edited, Jun 16th 2013 12:42pm by niquev71
#26 Jun 16 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I started playing MRD last night, but only got it to lvl 6. You get your first hate management tool at 5, and i pretty much murdered everything i fought while taking little dmg. I think MRD will probably be a solid tank option.
Also got CNJ to 15 and THM to 7. Will probably work on that a little more next weekend, but tbh, i'm liking my MRD so i might just see that class through.

So far my Impression is that MRD is a much more aggressive tank than GLD. While the latter needs abilities to keep hate, the former just really ****** off enemies by hitting them straight in the face with his AOE attacks. If you are good on MRD, you can hold hate AND kill stuff at the same time with it; something that is hard to achieve with GLD.

I also liked the uniqueness bonus I had as a marauder. For every MRD in the beta, there were about five or so GLDs.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 10:08am by Rinsui


What you just said made me want to be a MRD, and drop my GLD. MRD don't use shields, do they? How does that work, do you take a lot of damage?

Ah. Abilities that reduce damage you receive, and others like "berserker" which, in combination with "bloodbath" or "sturmwind" recover lots of HP through attacks. Basically, instead of a shield that (sometimes) lowers the damage you eat, you steadily recover it. Same effect, somewhat more unique mechanics (which require a little more skill to master in my humble opinion).
#27 Jun 16 2013 at 10:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
61 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?


Ifirit was cool I got to tank it as a MRD, we did it with 4 with members 21 to 20. It was pretty tank an spank, focus ifirt Kill the spike or he ones hots you. There was no loot but it leads up to the chocobo whistle quest.
#28 Jun 16 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
So, in theory, no one should ever have to make new characters because you can just go to a different guild and pick up a new class to level? Or is there any drawbacks to starting as say a GLA, and then leveling a CNJ other than what race you are?
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#29 Jun 16 2013 at 10:56 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Strifefish wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?


Ifirit was cool I got to tank it as a MRD, we did it with 4 with members 21 to 20. It was pretty tank an spank, focus ifirt Kill the spike or he ones hots you. There was no loot but it leads up to the chocobo whistle quest.


Is the spike like an add that pops up or something? Was there any other adds you had to deal with, and were there any attacks you had to maneuver around like ground pounds or swipes or anything? I have noticed there are a few minor fights I have been in with spearmen that if you circle around them you can effectivley avoid most of the damage.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Smiley: frown

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 1:01pm by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#30 Jun 16 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
61 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
So, in theory, no one should ever have to make new characters because you can just go to a different guild and pick up a new class to level? Or is there any drawbacks to starting as say a GLA, and then leveling a CNJ other than what race you are?


In theory, people will make alt's I'm sure. No drawbacks just benefits. However there wont be enough quest's to lvl all the classes but that's where Fate's and Instance's and leve come in.
#31 Jun 16 2013 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
96 posts
I think using cross class abilities really helps flesh out the individual classes a lot and gives you a lot more things to do. My main class was THM but I leveled a lot of different classes just to poach their abilities. I started as CNJ so I could get cure, protect and raise which are a HUGE boon for soloing. For dungeons I leveled ARC to 4 for Raging Strikes (Increases damage dealt by 20% for 20 sec) MRD to 8 for Bloodbath (For the next 15 seconds, all successful offensive abilities will heal you for 25% of the damage dealt) and PGL for Internal Release (Increases critical hit chance by 20% for 15 sec) to maximize my DPS. I was even able to main heal the 1st three dungeons with the CNJ abilities.
#32 Jun 16 2013 at 11:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,149 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?


I'd like to hear more about the fishing as well. I'm a little disappointed that it went 'recreational' so it wasn't on my priority list of things to do.

There's no Fisher class at this point in phase 3, which was a great disappointment to me.
____________________________
FFXI-Garuda 2003-2009; Lakshmi 2011-8/20/13 (retired)
FFXIV: ARR - Ghost Bear, Balmung server
#33 Jun 16 2013 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I only had a chance to play pug this weekend. I got it to 15 in my short time with the beta. My impression of the class is that it's fun, but very repetitive. The basic combo is almost always 1-2-3 repeat, with an occasional haymaker thrown in when dodge hits. Featherfoot was on too long of a timer to make haymaker seem all that useful, although when you were able to dodge the mobs first attack, throwing haymaker on made a BIG difference in terms of mob speed (20% slow added effect). I didn't really have any trouble soloing, and was able to do the level 15 main storyline quest without much trouble. I definitely played very tactically though, teaming up with the little taru to take down guys first before focusing on the big baddie, and running anytime he mentioned using the poison scythe attack, which hit me only once, but for almost 70 damage.

Overall, I enjoyed monk, and the +20% crit ability on a 60s timer was really fantastic. When the beta opens again, I plan on leveling as many other classes as I can just to get a feel for them. Gla, con, and thm all sound very interesting.
#34 Jun 16 2013 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
86 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:
I didn't get a chance to try THM, but the ones I saw were destroying everything...Well the ones that knew how to dodge abilities that is XD. Next weekend I'll probably slap on a staff and try THM out and see if it has any abilities that compliment CON.. I don't know if Clereic Stance is Cross Class or not, but it might be decent for THM at lower levels.


Cleric Stance is cross class and may be useful early on.

AS you progress though, stat stacking on INT for Magic Damage is going to be undone by the MND/INT switch that comes with Cleric Stance.

I played THM to 17 and CON to 8. Cure and Protect make THM much easier and save a lot of hassle with the level 15 class quests (but it means you do have to run from Uldah to Gridania if you start in Uldah as I did).



If only testing could of gone into Sunday I would of liked to look more into the conjurer skills lol. I played that last phase up to 30 but I didn't realize they added the whole INT/MND swap to it.

It pretty much means that in last phase where for Conjurer MND=Att/healing magic dmg they instead changed it where INT is now both THM/CON mag att dmg which MND=healing potency but by using cleric stance it pretty much in essence turns MND to what it was in phase 2.


The use of cleric stance on THM sounds like it could be fun, stacking MND to maximize dmg though the downfall is come BLM you lose access to cleric stance so for a THM focus on MND they become less useful BLM. Interesting dynamics that's for sure, I wonder if THM would be able to stand on it's own as a DD without having to rely on the specialization of it's job to deal more dmg.
#35 Jun 16 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
I used marauder to tank the first 3 dungeons and ifrit, overall it seems well-fitted for grinding content where there are several trash mobs to mow. I'm not sold at all on the usefulness of the class in the long term, though. Being the game's best off/add/trash tank isn't exactly something to write home about. The cross class abilities from PUG won't save you over the long term in the tanking position, and it is significantly penalized in the DPS position for its survivability. In that position, it is the opposite of a glass cannon. I'm pretty surprised it's allowed to "need" for DPS gear. That's going to cause some major drama between mrd and lnc/pug. STDPS between MRD and pug/lnc isn't that close in phase 3. If a mrd is doing AoE DPS, it will be the tank due to mandatory threat generation. It's not so much that your AOEDPS is that great. There's just enmity mods. Therefore, mrd as AOE DPS aren't that compatible with Gladiators.

I would rather level to 50 with a marauder tank. It's a great soloing class. But past that, I fear that it and warrior will inevitably be a token guild pet kind of class/job.
Ultimately marauders will probably get dark knight or berserker. If they get beastmaster, though, I can't imagine it'll have any competition for least played class.

If marauders get the berserker job, everything will be right with the world. If we get beastmaster, I'll riot lol...If we get drk, that'll be ok.
____________________________
Peregrine Falcon
Rendezvous Zone LS
Mrd/Con/BS/GS/Min
#36 Jun 16 2013 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
588 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
I used marauder to tank the first 3 dungeons and ifrit, overall it seems well-fitted for grinding content where there are several trash mobs to mow. I'm not sold at all on the usefulness of the class in the long term, though. Being the game's best off/add/trash tank isn't exactly something to write home about. The cross class abilities from PUG won't save you over the long term in the tanking position, and it is significantly penalized in the DPS position for its survivability. In that position, it is the opposite of a glass cannon. I'm pretty surprised it's allowed to "need" for DPS gear. That's going to cause some major drama between mrd and lnc/pug. STDPS between MRD and pug/lnc isn't that close in phase 3. If a mrd is doing AoE DPS, it will be the tank due to mandatory threat generation. It's not so much that your AOEDPS is that great. There's just enmity mods. Therefore, mrd as AOE DPS aren't that compatible with Gladiators.

I would rather level to 50 with a marauder tank. It's a great soloing class. But past that, I fear that it and warrior will inevitably be a token guild pet kind of class/job.
Ultimately marauders will probably get dark knight or berserker. If they get beastmaster, though, I can't imagine it'll have any competition for least played class.

If marauders get the berserker job, everything will be right with the world. If we get beastmaster, I'll riot lol...If we get drk, that'll be ok.


Don't we already know that MRD class becomes Warrior job?
____________________________



#37 Jun 17 2013 at 12:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Yep MRD becomes warrior as far as i know.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#38 Jun 17 2013 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
Strifefish wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
That's one thing I regret is that I didn't get to do any of the crafting or mining or fishing or any of the stuff outside of combat. Could you fish in this phase? There was just so little time, and I didn't get into the beta until 1:00 A.M. Sat morning. This is going to be the longest week ever, waiting to play this again next weekend.

So what was the Ifrit battle like for people that got to try it out?


Ifirit was cool I got to tank it as a MRD, we did it with 4 with members 21 to 20. It was pretty tank an spank, focus ifirt Kill the spike or he ones hots you. There was no loot but it leads up to the chocobo whistle quest.


Is the spike like an add that pops up or something? Was there any other adds you had to deal with, and were there any attacks you had to maneuver around like ground pounds or swipes or anything? I have noticed there are a few minor fights I have been in with spearmen that if you circle around them you can effectivley avoid most of the damage.

Edit: Sorry for the double post. Smiley: frown

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 1:01pm by supermegazeke


If you are asking about the ifrit fight. Yes. There is all of those things that you mentioned. If you are interested in watching a video of what it was like in 1.0, go to youtube and type in ifrit extreme. You'll see the 2nd hardest fight released in all of 1.0.

Teravibe wrote:
Yep MRD becomes warrior as far as i know.


After reading this, I realized just how little this forum has been updated since state alchemist left. Yes Marauder is the main class you must level to unlock warrior.

To see more info about which class unlocks which job, head over to this link. http://www.thefinalfantasy.com/ff14/armoury-job-system.html

For those doubters, WARS had moments where they were very important. The main example I can think of was during the 13 nail stage during ifrit extreme. (if you watched the E3 streams, the nails were changed to fetters for 2.0)
____________________________
#39 Jun 17 2013 at 3:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,010 posts
I only tested out Lancer because I didn't have much time to play, but it felt awesome. The style is very fast paced and aggressive. Far cooler than in FFXI, where using a polearm felt like you were fighting underwater.. in slow motion (love XI but c'mon, you know it's true Smiley: lol). I've planned on going Dragoon since the moment it was announced, but this just cemented my decision. It will without a doubt be the first job I unlock.

Edited, Jun 17th 2013 5:44am by BrokenFox
#40 Jun 17 2013 at 6:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
My main in 1.0 was Warrior, so naturally I rolled MRD to try it out.

I love the changes. The standing animation is much more wild and aggressive than 1.0 and the tanking role is much more synergistic.

In 1.0, our main form of tanking came from fighting multiple enemies at once, and stealing HP using Steel Cyclone and Rampage Stance.

Now, they've added a ton more abilities to steal hp, Bloodbath doesn't go away with 1 ability, it lasts for 20-30 seconds, and all around War will be a great HP stealing tank. So happy with the changes, they honestly feel like buffs.

____________________________


#41 Jun 17 2013 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah our wiki is very out of date but updating it at this point wouldn't be a good idea for reasons I'm not allowed to talk about yet Smiley: sly
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Jun 17 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Wint wrote:
Yeah our wiki is very out of date but updating it at this point wouldn't be a good idea for reasons I'm not allowed to talk about yet Smiley: sly


Darn you and your secrets Wint! Can you at least give us some teasers? Pretty please? Smiley: sly
#43 Jun 17 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I asked the Powers That Be™ last week and unfortunately not yet Smiley: frown
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#44 Jun 17 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Wint wrote:
I asked the Powers That Be™ last week and unfortunately not yet Smiley: frown


Smiley: cry

Any idea on when you'll be able to talk about it? How about now? Smiley: grin

#45 Jun 17 2013 at 8:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm guessing closer to end of June/early July
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#46 Jun 17 2013 at 10:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm authorized to say we will do for XIV "what we normally do" so you can infer from that. More to come, I have meetings with my boss today to discuss what is already being done and what is coming.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#47 Jun 17 2013 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
benjjjamin wrote:
I


If marauders get the berserker job, everything will be right with the world. If we get beastmaster, I'll riot lol...If we get drk, that'll be ok.


I wish with all i got they make Beastmaster! Best job ever!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 75 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (75)