Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Impressed with hardware optimization in P3Follow

#1 Jun 16 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts

Anyone else notice significant improvements to frame rate in phase 3?

In P1 and P2, I was being horribly bottlenecked by my CPU (Phenom II 955). One core ran over 90% while the others were usually at around 70. Frame rate at the aetheryte (lots of people) in town was in between 16-28 or so.

But now in P3, while one CPU core is over 90%, the others are usually over 80% for me. FPS increased to 26-38. Huge, huge improvement for me. I'm still being bottlenecked though, GPU usage is around 60%.

Picking up Haswell next week. Can't wait to see further improvements. Smiley: nod

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#2 Jun 16 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
I'm the reverse. My i7960 is around 30% cpu on all cores; but my GPU (AMD6870) is usually at 100%; getting 40+FPS. I'm considering getting a 7870 o.O

This system is 2 years old so not complaining too much. I think a GPU would help. In your case I'm sure both would help depending on the GPU.

What are you using now?
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#3 Jun 16 2013 at 10:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
There were about 50 people on my screen, and not a hint of stuttering.
I don't know what they did, but they did it right.
P.S.: Definitely try out the "lower battle effects" option in the graphics menu. Finally, it's no more flash-flash-bang-bang whenever you sneeze.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 12:50pm by Rinsui
#4 Jun 16 2013 at 10:52 AM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
Rinsui wrote:
There were about 50 people on my screen, and not a hint of stuttering.
I don't know what they did, but they did it right.
P.S.: Definitely try out the "lower battle effects" option in the graphics menu. Finally, it's no more flash-flash-bang-bang whenever you sneeze.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 12:50pm by Rinsui


Rinsui wrote:
There were about 50 people on my screen, and not a hint of stuttering.
I don't know what they did, but they did it right.
P.S.: Definitely try out the "lower battle effects" option in the graphics menu. Finally, it's no more flash-flash-bang-bang whenever you sneeze.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 12:50pm by Rinsui


I just noticed that at the tail end of beta lol ^^; was busy playing with friends and updating my stuff. It's going to be great to have for lower end systems. I think I'll leave it on though; kinda of cool seeing a fire spell pop from 200 feet away.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#5 Jun 16 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
don't forget a lot of P2 lag was due to the chatbox, if you didn't minimize it you had a slide show on lower end machines.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#6 Jun 16 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
Perrin wrote:
don't forget a lot of P2 lag was due to the chatbox, if you didn't minimize it you had a slide show on lower end machines.


The chatbox has been improved alot even before now :) Currently the chat has a server side filter. So if you turn off X chat type it actually will not be sent to the client. They also increased string storage from 60 lines of text to 512. 256 current, 256 old. It's pretty insane how optimized this chat control is now. I just wish we had transparency options back :(
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (72)