Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

We all look like clowns!Follow

#1 Jun 16 2013 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Seen this on the Beta forums, thought I'd bring it up here. How do you guys feel about how ridiculous the colors are for your starting gear? Seems like a good way to turn people off of the game if you have to be running around with purple gloves, green boots, a red coat, and a blue diaper.

I know you can dye your clothing, but I wish that all clothing would be sold as a default, albeit blander, color. And if you would like to dye your crap green and purple, so be it.

I know that at low levels, you're probably not suppose to look as cool as Spawn, but come on. Just, Come on. Smiley: clown

Edit: I should say low level gear, not starting gear.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:07pm by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#2 Jun 16 2013 at 6:18 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
Seen this on the Beta forums, thought I'd bring it up here. How do you guys feel about how ridiculous the colors are for your starting gear? Seems like a good way to turn people off of the game if you have to be running around with purple gloves, green boots, a red coat, and a blue diaper.

I know you can dye your clothing, but I wish that all clothing would be sold as a default, albeit blander, color. And if you would like to dye your crap green and purple, so be it.

I know that at low levels, you're probably not suppose to look as cool as Spawn, but come on. Just, Come on. Smiley: clown

Edit: I should say low level gear, not starting gear.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:07pm by supermegazeke


[img=238554]
http://i.imgur.com/SgSrdcwh.jpg

Are you saying the guy in the pink armor above link looks ridiculous ? I hope not, he's got swag.

I assume u mean quest gear, starting gear is pretty uniformed and looks ok. Quest gear seems to be quite varied, and I'm ok with that. Better than everyone running around in the same boiler plate, uniform gear.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:21pm by pulazka

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:24pm by pulazka
#3 Jun 16 2013 at 6:22 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
One of the biggest whines about 1.0, from myself included, was that starter armor made you look like a peasant wearing a burlap sack.

I remember my utter disappointment when I got a new body at level 20 and it was a bleached burlap sack instead of my previous dirty one.

The purple leather harness is rather silly, and the lime green chainmail is even worse, but that's all the more incentive to level myself up and get in more reasonable colored clothing.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#4 Jun 16 2013 at 6:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Screenshot

I just prefer to dye-it the way I want.

Besides, if you didn't wear atrociously mis-colored clothing, there would be be no reason for the lady that teaches you how to dye your clothing reason to insult your poor fashion tastes.

If you don't know where she's at. The lady's at the docks in West Than that takes you to Limsa. Her quest unlocks at level 15. You'll just have to slum it in technocolor clothing until then.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:37pm by Hyrist
#5 Jun 16 2013 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
Hyrist wrote:
[img=238555]

I just prefer to dye-it the way I want.

Besides, if you didn't wear atrociously mis-colored clothing, there would be be no reason for the lady that teaches you how to dye your clothing reason to insult your poor fashion tastes.



How do you dye clothing ?
#6 Jun 16 2013 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,755 posts
Like most systems, it unlocks in a quest. This one is at the port in Thanalan that ferrys you over to Limsa. Unlocks at 15.

She takes the time to tell you how horribly you dress, taking function over form to the point of atrocity. Then says she'll teach you how to dye gear if you give her a glass of Orange Juice.

You can buy the Orange Juice at any culinary or grocer market in a major city.

After that, she'll give you some dyes to start with, and you can buy dyes from NPC vendors labeled "<Independent Tinkerer>".

I'm still trying to find what colors will suit Lin best. She's a dragoon but I kinda detest that all Dragoons are the same color. It's not as if all dragons are the same color, right?

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 9:04pm by Hyrist
#7 Jun 16 2013 at 7:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I love the Lalafell starting clothes.

I got a nice body piece from Copperbell Mines this weekend Smiley: grin

Screenshot
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#8 Jun 16 2013 at 7:39 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
Wint wrote:
I love the Lalafell starting clothes.

I got a nice body piece from Copperbell Mines this weekend Smiley: grin

[img=238556]


Wow, looks badass. Whats it do xD
#9 Jun 16 2013 at 7:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
pulazka wrote:
Wint wrote:
I love the Lalafell starting clothes.

I got a nice body piece from Copperbell Mines this weekend Smiley: grin

Screenshot


Wow, looks badass. Whats it do xD


It's mage armor (I'm CNJ) but I forget the stats exactly, I wish I could log on and look Smiley: laugh
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#10 Jun 16 2013 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
*
125 posts
Nice charcter Wint!! He looks wise! :p

Now if only PS3 users could take pics... :(
#11 Jun 16 2013 at 8:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
181 posts
Wint wrote:
pulazka wrote:
Wint wrote:
I love the Lalafell starting clothes.

I got a nice body piece from Copperbell Mines this weekend Smiley: grin

[img=238556]


Wow, looks badass. Whats it do xD



It's mage armor (I'm CNJ) but I forget the stats exactly, I wish I could log on and look Smiley: laugh



I totally feel your pain ; ; Are the loots from the dungeons more powerful than similar loot from quests? Did it drop from a trash mob or from a boss?
#12 Jun 16 2013 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
When I read the title I thought you were talking about participants on the beta forums. Man is reading that like signing up for repeatedly getting kicked in the nuts; I feel bad for the devs. I really wish I would have found the dying quest, bought some dye and was trying to figure out if I was doing it wrong. Now that I know there's a quest that actually makes fun of the fact that they put you in all sorts of clashing gear I like it more. :)
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#13 Jun 16 2013 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
340 posts
I wish I had taken a screenshot of my character. Devaria Ariadne on Ultros, if you see me give a shout out. I had the cotton swashbuckling-esque quest reward shirt that was lvl 14. I did the dye quest at lvl 15 west of Horizon and proceeded to test out my colors. Needless to say, if you like blue like me you'll have to thrown down 300 gil for the good midnight blue dye. It looked gorgeous on that shirt. I then dyed the pants white, and rocked my asuran armbands. I also had blue hair, so I looked what I imagine Sara from Breath of Fire 1 would've looked like (minus the robe).

Edit: Engrish

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 7:42pm by desmar
____________________________
WoW Blackhand-US-Date of Retirement: 9/21/2010... /Sigh
Devari - 90 Rogue 85 DK Druid/Mage/Warrior 70+

FFXI - Shiva "Retired.... Or not? One more try, honest."
Desmar - 65 Sam 36 Mnk 18 Thf 12 War

FFXIV - Devari Garamond - Sargatanas 50 Paladin / Culinarian / Weaver / Armorer
Beta - Devaria Ariadne - Ultros - Pugilist
#14 Jun 17 2013 at 6:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
pulazka wrote:
I totally feel your pain ; ; Are the loots from the dungeons more powerful than similar loot from quests? Did it drop from a trash mob or from a boss?


Armor comes from chests you either find while running through the dungeon or beating mini bosses or the final boss. This one happened to fall from the final boss's chest.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#15 Jun 17 2013 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Ok we all know what i ll be doing with my THM this weekend right? right?
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#16 Jun 17 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
Ya, the dungeon armor looks far better. Though nothing beats the bronze harness, leggings and subligar from XI. Felt like a Village People member.
____________________________

#17 Jun 17 2013 at 11:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Ya, the dungeon armor looks far better. Though nothing beats the bronze harness, leggings and subligar from XI. Felt like a Village People member.

Rejoyce, then, because those pieces are in FFXIV as well.
I had both the harness and the subligar yesterday.
#18 Jun 17 2013 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Yeah I'm in subligar now. It looks like a leather thong sewed onto tightie whities.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#19 Jun 17 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
Yeah, I am loving my pink sabatons, with my green body, and my deep red helmet. I think the best part was, when I completed the dyeing quests, I ended up with ingredients to try dyeing... to pink! lol.

There is definitely an incentive to get to the point where you can dye your own gear. And while we are techno-colored balls of funny, it really does create a separation from who cares about their character and who doesn't. And when people start dyeing their own gear there will be an even greater diversity of player looks.

I hope they keep the clown look, it will always be fun to come into town and see the incredible display.

And there is an NPC later in the quest lines that just screams crazy...
The lady who replaces louis is the queen of every possible color in her outfit! I wish I had a SS of her. She is incredible. I actually like the fact that she is an eye-bleeding fashion statement of doom!
#20 Jun 17 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
The clown colors are a replacement for the green "!" mark in FFXI.
#21 Jun 17 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Catwho wrote:
Yeah I'm in subligar now. It looks like a leather thong sewed onto tightie whities.


Hanes Her Way? Smiley: clown
#22 Jun 17 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
I bought new town clothes...Booty shorts!

http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/Image/238552
____________________________

#23 Jun 17 2013 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Teneleven wrote:
I bought new town clothes...Booty shorts!

http://ffxiv.zam.com/Im/Image/238552


I hate to think of the reason your wearing an eye patch..
#24 Jun 17 2013 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
So, you all don't mind that its all going to be undone in a few weeks?
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#25 Jun 17 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Not at all. It's much easier to go out and test stuff when you aren't attatched to your character. Phase 4 on the other hand...
____________________________

#26 Jun 17 2013 at 7:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I don't either, in fact I've gotten to know the quest path so well for Gridania that once phase 4 is live I should be able to jump ahead of those who aren't as familiar and not be competing for quest mobs.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Jun 18 2013 at 12:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Wint wrote:
I don't either, in fact I've gotten to know the quest path so well for Gridania that once phase 4 is live I should be able to jump ahead of those who aren't as familiar and not be competing for quest mobs.



Yea phase 3 so far was a one sided race to level fast, i must say that Wint was probably cheating something to do with his SE contacts i bet! >_<
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#28 Jun 18 2013 at 1:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
If the armour looked great to begin with there would be no point in the dyes.
#29 Jun 18 2013 at 1:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Wint wrote:
I don't either, in fact I've gotten to know the quest path so well for Gridania that once phase 4 is live I should be able to jump ahead of those who aren't as familiar and not be competing for quest mobs.

Interesting. Personally, I'm taking my time to enjoy every single sidequest to the fullest.
I startded in the two cities I will *not* choose at the beginning of phase 4 on purpose, to see the world from as many angles at possible.
Somehow, I am not really concerned about being left behind. Must be because I actually like what's offered on the way, hahaha!
#30 Jun 18 2013 at 1:50 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't either, in fact I've gotten to know the quest path so well for Gridania that once phase 4 is live I should be able to jump ahead of those who aren't as familiar and not be competing for quest mobs.

Interesting. Personally, I'm taking my time to enjoy every single sidequest to the fullest.
I startded in the two cities I will *not* choose at the beginning of phase 4 on purpose, to see the world from as many angles at possible.
Somehow, I am not really concerned about being left behind. Must be because I actually like what's offered on the way, hahaha!


Me too!

I didn't want to do Gridania again as I'll be sick of it by the time I can actually start there for real.

I don't mind being left behind - I really want to enjoy my journey and not need to rush myself.
#31 Jun 18 2013 at 2:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
My biggest issue with the clothing was the fact that Ul'dah saw me as a great hero and allowed me to join in their banquet in my honor.. whilst wearing a green thong over off white panties.

I know the art designers may be really into S&M, but they coudl have left the harnesses and thongs for a few levels later...
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#32 Jun 18 2013 at 2:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
pulazka wrote:
supermegazeke wrote:
Seen this on the Beta forums, thought I'd bring it up here. How do you guys feel about how ridiculous the colors are for your starting gear? Seems like a good way to turn people off of the game if you have to be running around with purple gloves, green boots, a red coat, and a blue diaper.

I know you can dye your clothing, but I wish that all clothing would be sold as a default, albeit blander, color. And if you would like to dye your crap green and purple, so be it.

I know that at low levels, you're probably not suppose to look as cool as Spawn, but come on. Just, Come on. Smiley: clown

Edit: I should say low level gear, not starting gear.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:07pm by supermegazeke


[img=238554]
http://i.imgur.com/SgSrdcwh.jpg

Are you saying the guy in the pink armor above link looks ridiculous ? I hope not, he's got swag.

I assume u mean quest gear, starting gear is pretty uniformed and looks ok. Quest gear seems to be quite varied, and I'm ok with that. Better than everyone running around in the same boiler plate, uniform gear.

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:21pm by pulazka

Edited, Jun 16th 2013 8:24pm by pulazka


Love the fact that his name is actually Shadow Knight :D.
#33 Jun 18 2013 at 5:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't either, in fact I've gotten to know the quest path so well for Gridania that once phase 4 is live I should be able to jump ahead of those who aren't as familiar and not be competing for quest mobs.

Interesting. Personally, I'm taking my time to enjoy every single sidequest to the fullest.
I startded in the two cities I will *not* choose at the beginning of phase 4 on purpose, to see the world from as many angles at possible.
Somehow, I am not really concerned about being left behind. Must be because I actually like what's offered on the way, hahaha!


For launch I will be paying more attention to the text but for now it's click click click click. I'd like to get another crack at the higher level dungeons before this phase is over, and it's only scheduled for 1-3 weeks (according to the roadmap) so I'd like to get that accomplished.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#34 Jun 18 2013 at 6:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,010 posts
I'm pretty much going into ARR blind, and it's cool, this will be the first time in a while that a game will be a brand new experience. I was in the TOR beta and by the time the game went live I knew all the paths/classes/etc. It'll be fun to be a clueless noob again.
#35 Jun 18 2013 at 6:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
All I really want is my Chocobo, I love being able to ride around so that's why I'd like to get to 20 as early as possible.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Jun 18 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
This is probably done like this so we will want to mess with the dye system.. They want us to try it out so they gave us a reason too. So we will try not stop looking like clowns lol
#37 Jun 18 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
154 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
Ya, the dungeon armor looks far better. Though nothing beats the bronze harness, leggings and subligar from XI. Felt like a Village People member.


Oh, the memories...
#38 Jun 18 2013 at 11:24 AM Rating: Decent
*
129 posts
They're testing out gear for the new CLN job.
____________________________
- The artist usually known as Angrynixon
#39 Jun 18 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
The only thing I am rushing for when the game is officially started is for my airship pass. I will already have a mount, so I will just want to be able to get to limsa to get arc, and then start leveling it.

I do think I will be starting in Ul'dah this time around (I don't remember if we get to pick our starting point if we already have characters, or how that is going to work).
#40 Jun 18 2013 at 12:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
rfolkker wrote:
The only thing I am rushing for when the game is officially started is for my airship pass. I will already have a mount, so I will just want to be able to get to limsa to get arc, and then start leveling it.

I do think I will be starting in Ul'dah this time around (I don't remember if we get to pick our starting point if we already have characters, or how that is going to work).


When you say you'll already have a mount, do you mean because you're legacy (I am)? I ask because I wonder if you will still need to get the chocobo license before being able to use the mount.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#41 Jun 18 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
hmmm, I didn't think about that, I have a chocobo, and my Gobbue, and I am getting another chocobo and the coeurl... I thought we were supposed to start with the activation items, and we didn't need to quest for them... I never thought about the fact that they may be locked until we progress... Hmmm... Wint, sometimes you are evil... Putting these dark thoughts in my head...
#42 Jun 18 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
rfolkker wrote:
hmmm, I didn't think about that, I have a chocobo, and my Gobbue, and I am getting another chocobo and the coeurl... I thought we were supposed to start with the activation items, and we didn't need to quest for them... I never thought about the fact that they may be locked until we progress... Hmmm... Wint, sometimes you are evil... Putting these dark thoughts in my head...


Yeah I can see them limiting it, although getting to 20 is the work of a weekend at best, I managed it anyway and I have 3 kids, 2 jobs, and it was Father's day weekend Smiley: grin
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#43 Jun 18 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
Dang, 4 kids, 2 jobs, and I did not make it to my chocobo (5 minutes until shutdown, still had quests to do... but made it to 21... I was so close...).

Either way, I am fine with it, and I will admit, in the beginning I am going to go for the most god-aweful combination of colors imaginable, and yes, I will even dye my gear that way:). A little hot-pink here, mud brown there, and lime green on top:).
#44 Jun 18 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
SirLuciousLeftfoot wrote:
Nice charcter Wint!! He looks wise! :p

Now if only PS3 users could take pics... :(



Sure you cant?
In ffxi we could by hitting certain button combination ... Then we could email it to our selves....

By the way wint how do you do it on a pc?
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#45 Jun 18 2013 at 1:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nashred wrote:
SirLuciousLeftfoot wrote:
Nice charcter Wint!! He looks wise! :p

Now if only PS3 users could take pics... :(



Sure you cant?
In ffxi we could by hitting certain button combination ... Then we could email it to our selves....

By the way wint how do you do it on a pc?


Printscreen saves it to My Documents\MyGames\FinalFantasyXIVBetaSomethingelse\Screenshots
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CDT
Hyrist, Anonymous Guests (72)