Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Good or best jobs for FF ARRFollow

#1 Jun 20 2013 at 5:57 AM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Hi in starting beta tommorow and was wondering what jobs are good. I know there are no best jobs but what's the best DD in the game? And also are there any got abilities that would make one job worth getting. I've tried looking it up but can't find a website with stats and abilities.
I'm also not liking the fact that Exp party style from 11 has gone. As bad as some party's could of been it was probably my favourite part of the game and loved the smallest details that would go in to the battle from anything one person done. I hope this changes on the near future.
#2 Jun 20 2013 at 6:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
Well THM is a pretty solid dd class :P as long as you know how to rotate blizzard and fire =) the class is also very easy to play since you never run out of mp if you just spam blizzard :P
#3 Jun 20 2013 at 6:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Pick the job that looks fun to you, there's no "best job".

As far as the party play, I wouldn't hold my breath on that changing. Try the new system before knocking it, I think you'll like all of the various options we have to gain experience.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#4 Jun 20 2013 at 7:30 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
28 posts
Yeah I'm with you. I understand this new genre want's to play a single player MMO with real life people in the background. As Wint said, there's been a lot of heated discussion about it. Yoshi does not want it in ARR, which is sad, but it's his MMO. He wants you to spam through pages of text that should really just read "blah blah, blah blah blah, 10 goats, blah blah 10000 xp". Anyways, you can sense my feelings on it lol.

My opinion on various options
(To help you forget about the lack of group oriented grinding)

Dungeons: Not a great source of party play because everyone has a goal in Dungeons, Loot. Hard to explain, but it's different. Too me Dungeons get very stale after the first or second run.

Guildhest: Great for the first round (xp) after that, not worth it. It's basically a Generic Quest.

Fates: Fates, hmmm. Massive zergs in which the xp is okay, but between running around trying to find them and having them survive more then a few seconds make it almost not worth the trouble.

Leves: Again, Generic Quest and not really group oriented.

I feel like I am missing something, but it's been a rather long night. Of course these are my opinions, and although they may seem negative I do enjoy all of the things I mentioned above. But non surpass the grouping aspect of gaining Exp. I for one have always hated Quest Based MMOs. Quest should give you a "Thank you", and a reward of Gil/Items depending on difficulty. Not exp.

As for the OP, each of the DD have thier own unique advantages. I'd suggest just trying them out and seeing what fits you best. I don't know about you, but in a FF MMO, like XI/XIV I max all jobs regardless if I like them or not. Least thats the goal. Since I have never been a huge fan of Themepark, grind gear to get more gear type games. That's my major goal as well as all crafts. Granted I already have a huge head start thanks to v1.0.
____________________________
Kopuno -Remora -R10 San'doria
75 BLM RDM NIN BLU SMN BST THF all others 30-70 (Pre Abyssea, level sync) Retired - Thank you Abyssea

Kopuno Deblant -Balmung -Mindless Indulgence FC
50 BLM WAR WHM PLD 42 BRD

Join <<MIND>>less Indulgence on Balmung! (Legacy) http://mindlessffxiv.enjin.com/
#5 Jun 20 2013 at 7:52 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Failsociety wrote:
Yeah I'm with you. I understand this new genre want's to play a single player MMO with real life people in the background. As Wint said, there's been a lot of heated discussion about it. Yoshi does not want it in ARR, which is sad, but it's his MMO. He wants you to spam through pages of text that should really just read "blah blah, blah blah blah, 10 goats, blah blah 10000 xp". Anyways, you can sense my feelings on it lol.

My opinion on various options
(To help you forget about the lack of group oriented grinding)

Dungeons: Not a great source of party play because everyone has a goal in Dungeons, Loot. Hard to explain, but it's different. Too me Dungeons get very stale after the first or second run.

Guildhest: Great for the first round (xp) after that, not worth it. It's basically a Generic Quest.

Fates: Fates, hmmm. Massive zergs in which the xp is okay, but between running around trying to find them and having them survive more then a few seconds make it almost not worth the trouble.

Leves: Again, Generic Quest and not really group oriented.

I feel like I am missing something, but it's been a rather long night. Of course these are my opinions, and although they may seem negative I do enjoy all of the things I mentioned above. But non surpass the grouping aspect of gaining Exp. I for one have always hated Quest Based MMOs. Quest should give you a "Thank you", and a reward of Gil/Items depending on difficulty. Not exp.

As for the OP, each of the DD have thier own unique advantages. I'd suggest just trying them out and seeing what fits you best. I don't know about you, but in a FF MMO, like XI/XIV I max all jobs regardless if I like them or not. Least thats the goal. Since I have never been a huge fan of Themepark, grind gear to get more gear type games. That's my major goal as well as all crafts. Granted I already have a huge head start thanks to v1.0.


I think that dungeons and guildhests are supposed to be the equivalent to party play in ARR. You go in with a group, kill mobs for a while, get out. It's just a more streamlined version of party XP. Although, I certainly wouldn't mind if they made regular XP parties more viable, I know a lot of people hated the waiting and travel requirements, but in a game like this I think it could be done quite well.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#6 Jun 20 2013 at 8:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
It's is funny that now that you can pretty much get anywhere instantly or with every little time or effort that the group play from XI is gone - it would actually suit it well. I don't think it would suit the world well though.
#7 Jun 20 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
28 posts
BartelX wrote:
Failsociety wrote:
Yeah I'm with you. I understand this new genre want's to play a single player MMO with real life people in the background. As Wint said, there's been a lot of heated discussion about it. Yoshi does not want it in ARR, which is sad, but it's his MMO. He wants you to spam through pages of text that should really just read "blah blah, blah blah blah, 10 goats, blah blah 10000 xp". Anyways, you can sense my feelings on it lol.

My opinion on various options
(To help you forget about the lack of group oriented grinding)

Dungeons: Not a great source of party play because everyone has a goal in Dungeons, Loot. Hard to explain, but it's different. Too me Dungeons get very stale after the first or second run.

Guildhest: Great for the first round (xp) after that, not worth it. It's basically a Generic Quest.

Fates: Fates, hmmm. Massive zergs in which the xp is okay, but between running around trying to find them and having them survive more then a few seconds make it almost not worth the trouble.

Leves: Again, Generic Quest and not really group oriented.

I feel like I am missing something, but it's been a rather long night. Of course these are my opinions, and although they may seem negative I do enjoy all of the things I mentioned above. But non surpass the grouping aspect of gaining Exp. I for one have always hated Quest Based MMOs. Quest should give you a "Thank you", and a reward of Gil/Items depending on difficulty. Not exp.

As for the OP, each of the DD have thier own unique advantages. I'd suggest just trying them out and seeing what fits you best. I don't know about you, but in a FF MMO, like XI/XIV I max all jobs regardless if I like them or not. Least thats the goal. Since I have never been a huge fan of Themepark, grind gear to get more gear type games. That's my major goal as well as all crafts. Granted I already have a huge head start thanks to v1.0.


I think that dungeons and guildhests are supposed to be the equivalent to party play in ARR. You go in with a group, kill mobs for a while, get out. It's just a more streamlined version of party XP. Although, I certainly wouldn't mind if they made regular XP parties more viable, I know a lot of people hated the waiting and travel requirements, but in a game like this I think it could be done quite well.


Yeah and, see.. That's the thing. I honestly am fine with everything they have as of now. I just can't see the harm of adding in a few areas that are elite mobs (Beastmen Camps come to mind) ment for party xp play. I'm sure Yoshi doesn't want to see the PL'ing that was going on in XIV but I avoided that anyways, prolly a good reason I only have 5 of the 7 classes capped lol. Either way, I know it's not going to happen, so it's like beating a dead horse.. But dammit I want to be able to effectively Party Exp in the open world with a group of 4-6 players.
____________________________
Kopuno -Remora -R10 San'doria
75 BLM RDM NIN BLU SMN BST THF all others 30-70 (Pre Abyssea, level sync) Retired - Thank you Abyssea

Kopuno Deblant -Balmung -Mindless Indulgence FC
50 BLM WAR WHM PLD 42 BRD

Join <<MIND>>less Indulgence on Balmung! (Legacy) http://mindlessffxiv.enjin.com/
#8 Jun 20 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Failsociety wrote:
I feel like I am missing something, but it's been a rather long night.


Hunt Log Smiley: wink
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#9 Jun 20 2013 at 11:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
199 posts
Speaking of power leveling, how are they preventing that in ARR? When I played phase 3 last weekend I could help attack any mob that someone was fighting and people attacked mine, both ways I still got the full exp I was getting when I was the only one who attacked the same kind. Couldn't this make power leveling really easy?
____________________________
PS3 - Lil_Mermaid_Girl
#10 Jun 20 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,722 posts
Wint wrote:
Hunt Log Smiley: wink
From years of tracking, the best grounds are stairs. You have to be careful though, because sometimes they are in singles or pairs, and they have this vicious habit of rolling over neighbors' dogs.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#11 Jun 20 2013 at 11:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
Hunt Log Smiley: wink
From years of tracking, the best grounds are stairs. You have to be careful though, because sometimes they are in singles or pairs, and they have this vicious habit of rolling over neighbors' dogs.


Ren and Stimpy?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 Jun 20 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
Wint wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
Hunt Log Smiley: wink
From years of tracking, the best grounds are stairs. You have to be careful though, because sometimes they are in singles or pairs, and they have this vicious habit of rolling over neighbors' dogs.


Ren and Stimpy?


It rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbors' dogs.
It's great for a snack
it fits on your back
It's log, log, log!

It's log, it's log
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log
It's better than bad it's good!
#13 Jun 20 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
362 posts
Well, now I have that going through my head..
____________________________
Anakte Grey
BLM 50 SMN/SCH 50 WHM 40
MRD 26 DRG 30 MNK 30 GLA 25

http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/416469141_Vt5aq-XL-2.jpg
#14 Jun 20 2013 at 12:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
jake89 wrote:
Hi in starting beta tommorow and was wondering what jobs are good. I know there are no best jobs but what's the best DD in the game? And also are there any got abilities that would make one job worth getting. I've tried looking it up but can't find a website with stats and abilities.
I'm also not liking the fact that Exp party style from 11 has gone. As bad as some party's could of been it was probably my favourite part of the game and loved the smallest details that would go in to the battle from anything one person done. I hope this changes on the near future.


Quick list to help you decide:

Thm - Basic Mage, high dmg, squishy.
Con - Basic Healer with some dmg and utility. Pretty esential for ALL classes to level this to access cure for soloing, so not a bad start.
Smn - We have no idea.
Mrd - HP Lifesteal Tank / DD hybrid. Solid damage and high survivablity.
Pug - Great dmg with unique combo mechanics. Used to be a decent tank in 1.0, not sure now. Uses evasion.
Lnc - Very High dmg with a few debuffs and focuses on acc and burst.
Gla - Classic tank with lots of survivability and decent dmg, tons of hate control and will be wanted in all parties.


As far as "partying is gone" it's not really, it's just changed forms. In 1.0, parties roamed anyway. There was no "camps" and it's the same here, except now you roam through a dungeon and get sweet loots.

Quote:
Not a great source of party play because everyone has a goal in Dungeons, Loot. Hard to explain, but it's different. Too me Dungeons get very stale after the first or second run.


Not really, since exp is so ridiculous in dungeons, I found myself going there for the exp. And somehow, a dynamic dungeon gets stale but 2 million colibri is a "unique and engaging experience"......

Edited, Jun 20th 2013 2:20pm by Louiscool

Edited, Jun 20th 2013 2:21pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#15 Jun 20 2013 at 12:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
schneiderw wrote:
Wint wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
Hunt Log Smiley: wink
From years of tracking, the best grounds are stairs. You have to be careful though, because sometimes they are in singles or pairs, and they have this vicious habit of rolling over neighbors' dogs.


Ren and Stimpy?


It rolls down stairs
Alone or in pairs
Rolls over your neighbors' dogs.
It's great for a snack
it fits on your back
It's log, log, log!

It's log, it's log
It's big, it's heavy, it's wood.
It's log, it's log
It's better than bad it's good!


This is the unofficial theme song of Voidwatch in FFXI, by the by.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Jun 20 2013 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
I think it's too early to figure out the "best DD". This is time to test the game for flaws so we can get a more polished game at launch. You can always switch classes down the line, so the thinking of min/maxing now just seems such a hollow task. Play something to 10, if you like it you can move along with it, if not you can buy a new sword/axe/wand and give another class a shot--in fact you should definitely do that.
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#17 Jun 20 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
Thanks for the replys I was just watching letter from the producers and they said they will soon add a party finder system, they just want people to get used to duty finder first. I hope this means the old style of partying comes back with camps etc aswell as a good solo system. I don't mind the new stuff as I will play anyway I just think they should have this back as to me final fantasy are always about party's in every game.
#18 Jun 20 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Good
14 posts
How do they expect jobs like white Mage to solo to cap. As a white mates job in battle is to heal, yea you might be able to do this in dungeons. But for battles they should level of healing not killing
#19 Jun 20 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
**
259 posts
jake89 wrote:
Thanks for the replys I was just watching letter from the producers and they said they will soon add a party finder system, they just want people to get used to duty finder first. I hope this means the old style of partying comes back with camps etc aswell as a good solo system. I don't mind the new stuff as I will play anyway I just think they should have this back as to me final fantasy are always about party's in every game.


I dunno where you read that, but duty finder is party finder. There is no new system coming later for some other type of parties. FFXI style mob grinding is not gonna happen here, this game is not built for that. FFXIV 1.x style mob grinding may be viable, but we have to see. FFXI style, not a chance. Mobs don't chase you endlessly here so you can't do the camp at a spot and go pull mobs to you. Mobs won't follow you that far.
#20 Jun 20 2013 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
***
2,214 posts
Louiscool wrote:
jake89 wrote:
Hi in starting beta tommorow and was wondering what jobs are good. I know there are no best jobs but what's the best DD in the game? And also are there any got abilities that would make one job worth getting. I've tried looking it up but can't find a website with stats and abilities.
I'm also not liking the fact that Exp party style from 11 has gone. As bad as some party's could of been it was probably my favourite part of the game and loved the smallest details that would go in to the battle from anything one person done. I hope this changes on the near future.


Quick list to help you decide:

Thm - Basic Mage, high dmg, squishy.
Con - Basic Healer with some dmg and utility. Pretty esential for ALL classes to level this to access cure for soloing, so not a bad start.
Smn - We have no idea.
Mrd - HP Lifesteal Tank / DD hybrid. Solid damage and high survivablity.
Pug - Great dmg with unique combo mechanics. Used to be a decent tank in 1.0, not sure now. Uses evasion.
Lnc - Very High dmg with a few debuffs and focuses on acc and burst.
Gla - Classic tank with lots of survivability and decent dmg, tons of hate control and will be wanted in all parties.


As far as "partying is gone" it's not really, it's just changed forms. In 1.0, parties roamed anyway. There was no "camps" and it's the same here, except now you roam through a dungeon and get sweet loots.

Quote:
Not a great source of party play because everyone has a goal in Dungeons, Loot. Hard to explain, but it's different. Too me Dungeons get very stale after the first or second run.


Not really, since exp is so ridiculous in dungeons, I found myself going there for the exp. And somehow, a dynamic dungeon gets stale but 2 million colibri is a "unique and engaging experience"......

Edited, Jun 20th 2013 2:20pm by Louiscool

Edited, Jun 20th 2013 2:21pm by Louiscool

You mean Acn instead of Smn?

#21 Jun 20 2013 at 2:44 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
It was something said on the video letter live from the producer LIVE part VI
#22 Jun 20 2013 at 3:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
rfolkker wrote:


You mean Acn instead of Smn?



Screenshot
____________________________


#23 Jun 20 2013 at 3:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
95 posts
Louiscool wrote:


Quick list to help you decide:

Thm - Basic Mage, high dmg, squishy.
Con - Basic Healer with some dmg and utility. Pretty esential for ALL classes to level this to access cure for soloing, so not a bad start.
Smn - We have no idea.
Mrd - HP Lifesteal Tank / DD hybrid. Solid damage and high survivablity.
Pug - Great dmg with unique combo mechanics. Used to be a decent tank in 1.0, not sure now. Uses evasion.
Lnc - Very High dmg with a few debuffs and focuses on acc and burst.
Gla - Classic tank with lots of survivability and decent dmg, tons of hate control and will be wanted in all parties.


(ARC)(Can I have it?)
____________________________
Pia Lior - Ultros
#24 Jun 20 2013 at 3:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
PavetlXIV wrote:
Louiscool wrote:


Quick list to help you decide:

Thm - Basic Mage, high dmg, squishy.
Con - Basic Healer with some dmg and utility. Pretty esential for ALL classes to level this to access cure for soloing, so not a bad start.
Smn - We have no idea.
Mrd - HP Lifesteal Tank / DD hybrid. Solid damage and high survivablity.
Pug - Great dmg with unique combo mechanics. Used to be a decent tank in 1.0, not sure now. Uses evasion.
Lnc - Very High dmg with a few debuffs and focuses on acc and burst.
Gla - Classic tank with lots of survivability and decent dmg, tons of hate control and will be wanted in all parties.


(ARC)(Can I have it?)


LOL it's been a long day, I knew I was missing something.


Arc - Shoot all the things and then suit up in a spoon-erific outfit and play songs to the masses. Good dmg and survivability, since as /Brd you get access to Con and Thm spells.
____________________________


#25 Jun 20 2013 at 3:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
hrmm best jobs.. prolly the bar tenders.. they get to have fun and see all the ladys go crazy after dark. Worst job is prolly the chocobo porter salesmen who has to smell all the choco **** all day and nigth.

heh on a serious note just play what you like once phase 4 hits just try them all :)
#26 Jun 20 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
WHM have access to weapons and offensive spells, not sure why you think they wouldn't be able to get to cap. Not to mention you get credit for healing during FATEs now.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Jun 20 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Decent
14 posts
To me using weapons and offensive spells to cap though is not as much as a white Mage job as it could be. To me you should be able to solo this way but party as a healer mainly for exp. but I still have the fates and dungeons to try out. So i could be thinking this wrong
#28 Jun 20 2013 at 5:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
jake89 wrote:
To me using weapons and offensive spells to cap though is not as much as a white Mage job as it could be. To me you should be able to solo this way but party as a healer mainly for exp. but I still have the fates and dungeons to try out. So i could be thinking this wrong


your right its not a WHM job.. cuz we have yet to see the whm job. remember conj is a class that is more geared for soloing and once you hit the right lvl and get WHM than its a healer focus job. Conj will always be there for other thigns but if you wanna straight heal people than whm is the way for you.
#29 Jun 20 2013 at 6:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
jake89 wrote:
To me using weapons and offensive spells to cap though is not as much as a white Mage job as it could be. To me you should be able to solo this way but party as a healer mainly for exp. but I still have the fates and dungeons to try out. So i could be thinking this wrong


Honestly you'll be leveling Conjurer to cap more than WHM I would think if you want to solo. If you want to party you're going to heal and that means WHM.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#30 Jun 20 2013 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
XIVDB.com has all of the current class/job abilities up.

I suggest playing all of the classes to at least 8 or so. You will unlock a bunch of cross class ablities to use on the class you decide to play.

As for the best class, From what I've seen Thaumaturge is really strong. Without any real threat of dying they seem to be able to blow stuff up really quick. Conjurer was really fun for me when I played it. If you do things right you can kill stuff without getting hit. Gladiator gets some great survivability after level 10 or so if you slap on some abilities from different classes.

Pugilist seemed very weak to me compared to Gladiator and Conjurer. It may have been due to not having any abilities to cross class with, but the damage and survivability seemed low without Featherfoot or Second Wind up. They seem like they would end up being pretty awesome at later levels though with their stances.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 96 All times are in CST
Callinon, Lyrailis, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (93)