Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

How to play the game and lose weightFollow

#52 Jun 23 2013 at 6:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
Killua125 wrote:
sandpark wrote:
If you are talking strictly about losing weight it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters how many calories you intake. It doesn't matter what time you eat in a 24 hour day. It doesn't even matter how much you exercise. Keep in mind that when eating too much of whatever. It still affects other aspects of your body besides gaining or losing weight. When not being active, it affects areas of your body besides gaining or losing weight.

Speaking strictly in terms of body mass.
Calories affects the fat.
Exercise affects the muscle.


This is bad information.

Anyway, a lot of people munch on things when they're gaming. I suggest something like baby carrots instead of chips and junk food.

It's not bad info it's spot on.
You eat 11,000 calories of carrots a week if your daily recommended intake for your height is 1200. You gain weight.
You eat 11'000 calories of cheeseburgers a week if your daily recommended intake is 1200 for your height. You gain weight.

Exercise doesn't burn fat, it burns calories.
Eating calories doesn't build muscle, it builds fat or loses it.

I am not 100 percent sure on this part. But I think it was 30 minutes or an hour of exercise to burn 400 calories.

If your over your index by 5,000. And you exercise 30min-1hr a day for seven days.
Thats only 400x7= 2800 calories you burned off that week.
You would gain a small amount of weight not lose it.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 8:49pm by sandpark
#53 Jun 23 2013 at 6:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
sixstroke wrote:
sandpark wrote:
If you are talking strictly about losing weight it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters how many calories you intake. It doesn't matter what time you eat in a 24 hour day. It doesn't even matter how much you exercise. Keep in mind that when eating too much of whatever. It still affects other aspects of your body besides gaining or losing weight. When not being active, it affects areas of your body besides gaining or losing weight.

Speaking strictly in terms of body mass.
Calories affects the fat.
Exercise affects the muscle.

Well, I liked your firsr post..

This one however is very largely a mistake.

Caloric intake does play a big role in things but if you're eating properly you can meet your caloric needs and still either lose weoght or maintain. .depending on your body type..

Exactly, certain foods have more calories.
Eat foods with less calories and you can eat more.
Eat foods with high calories and you can eat less.

Meet your index but do not undercut it or overshoot it and you maintain your current weight.
#54 Jun 23 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
sandpark wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
sandpark wrote:
If you are talking strictly about losing weight it doesn't matter what you eat. It matters how many calories you intake. It doesn't matter what time you eat in a 24 hour day. It doesn't even matter how much you exercise. Keep in mind that when eating too much of whatever. It still affects other aspects of your body besides gaining or losing weight. When not being active, it affects areas of your body besides gaining or losing weight.

Speaking strictly in terms of body mass.
Calories affects the fat.
Exercise affects the muscle.


This is bad information.

Anyway, a lot of people munch on things when they're gaming. I suggest something like baby carrots instead of chips and junk food.

It's not bad info it's spot on.
You eat 11,000 calories of carrots a week if your daily recommended intake for your height is 1200. You gain weight.
You eat 11'000 calories of cheeseburgers a week if your daily reccomended intake is 1200 for your height. You gain weight.

Exercise doesn't burn fat, it burns calories.
Eating calories doesn't build muscle, it builds fat or loses it.

I am not 100 percent sure on this part. But I think it was 30 minutes or an hour of exercise to burn 400 calories.

If your over your index by 5,000. And you exercise 30min-1hr a day for seven days.
Thats only 400x7= 2800 calories you burned off that week.
You would gain a small amount of weight not lose it.


So much is wrong here man..

I can eat 400 calories over my goal each day and still maintain. .It's all dependant on the quality of calories.

You can eat 400 calories beneath your goal a day amd yes lose some weight but you'll be losing more muscle and important tissue than you will fat.
#55 Jun 23 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
And you can tone-up and build muscle by eating properly.
#56 Jun 23 2013 at 6:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
sixstroke wrote:


So much is wrong here man..

I can eat 400 calories over my goal each day and still maintain. .It's all dependant on the quality of calories.

You can eat 400 calories beneath your goal a day amd yes lose some weight but you'll be losing more muscle and important tissue than you will fat.

If you eat even one calorie under your index you are losing weight. It won't be noticeable.
If you eat 400 calories over your index, you are gaining weight whether it's noticeable or not.

If you exercised 30min-1hr that 400 calories you went over is negated.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 8:54pm by sandpark
#57 Jun 23 2013 at 7:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
OR you could just buy this and suddenly Eorzea wouldn't feel so small even for the most outspoken of naysayers.... [img=http://geekologie.com/2013/06/07/omni-virtual-reality-running.jpg]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#58 Jun 23 2013 at 8:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Killua125 wrote:


Anyway, a lot of people munch on things when they're gaming. I suggest something like baby carrots instead of chips and junk food.


I'm trying to avoid adding anything to my mass by eating foods that are easier to handle (like your baby carrots).
Sitting on my bum for a couple of hours just ruins my metobolism.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#59 Jun 23 2013 at 8:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Perrin wrote:
OR you could just buy this and suddenly Eorzea wouldn't feel so small even for the most outspoken of naysayers.... [img=http://geekologie.com/2013/06/07/omni-virtual-reality-running.jpg]

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game


The book Ready Player One was great. I read it 2 months ago and it brought back all the excitement of FF11. I was so ready
for ARR!!!

OMNI READY PLAYER ONE: Receive a copy of Ready Player One signed by Ernest Cline! Take a peak into the future. And get the full Omni natural motion interface, including platform, shoes, belt, and tracking hardware and software. Get ready to move naturally in VR and enter a new world. Add $20 for international shipping of the book. (Add $49 per additional pair of shoes, $79 per additional belt, $79 for the Omni Rack, see project description. Omni shipping costs separate, see FAQ)

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#60 Jun 23 2013 at 9:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Or you could have jacked up hormones like me and not burn calories at the proper rate and eat like a bird (or just eat healthy like I do) and still never lose an ounce.

It sucks. So I just try to eat healthy and maintain because I'd have to have my entire reproductive system removed to lose weight. Smiley: bah

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 12:01am by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#61 Jun 23 2013 at 10:06 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
Killua125 wrote:


Anyway, a lot of people munch on things when they're gaming. I suggest something like baby carrots instead of chips and junk food.


I'm trying to avoid adding anything to my mass by eating foods that are easier to handle (like your baby carrots).
Sitting on my bum for a couple of hours just ruins my metobolism.

Yeah you can eat more baby carrots than junk food and keep the weight in check.

I didn't mean to sound like Richard Simmons or Jenny Craig earlier when I was debating with Sixstroke. My profession isn't diet expert.
I just struggled with understanding and controlling my own weight a blue moon ago. I found some diets that work and some that don't.

Then I stumbled upon John Barban. I followed his diet and exercise programs to the tee. And now I have the lean mass index that I maintain with minimal effort.

His product is called The Adonis Index. This exercise regiment is targeted at males to transform your body into the types of bodies that greek statues have. There is a ton of research he has done into weight and muscle, even looking at the perfect waist line for your height. And what body he believes females to be most attracted to in males. He is working on a new product for females. It might be called The Aphrodite Index?
#62 Jun 23 2013 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
Catwho wrote:
Or you could have jacked up hormones like me and not burn calories at the proper rate and eat like a bird (or just eat healthy like I do) and still never lose an ounce.

It sucks. So I just try to eat healthy and maintain because I'd have to have my entire reproductive system removed to lose weight. Smiley: bah

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 12:01am by Catwho

Sweetie don't get down. I am sure your husband finds you to be the most beautiful girl in the world. We all want to feel comfortable. Looks are just surface level. Even if everyone was skinny, it's what's on the inside that one special person falls in love with. We all age and get saggy.

I know from experience that while looks might get your foot in the door. Women unlike most men are attracted to personality. And some of the most beautiful fit people have the worse personalities.

#63 Jun 23 2013 at 11:22 PM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
As healthy as it is munching on veggies while you grind your hearts out, you still need physical activity every hour.
Here is my advice: while mashing your number keys, stand up from your seat and then sit back down. Repeat this as often as you want to, but at LEAST do it every 30 minutes of sitting.
#64 Jun 24 2013 at 5:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
As healthy as it is munching on veggies while you grind your hearts out, you still need physical activity every hour.
Here is my advice: while mashing your number keys, stand up from your seat and then sit back down. Repeat this as often as you want to, but at LEAST do it every 30 minutes of sitting.


Even better, use a timer system like Strict Workflow. I've got mine set so that I the "work" phase is my gaming time, and the "break" phase means I need to get my *** out of the chair and walk around a bit, even if it's just to the kitchen to get a cup of tea.

sandpark wrote:
Sweetie don't get down. I am sure your husband finds you to be the most beautiful girl in the world. We all want to feel comfortable. Looks are just surface level. Even if everyone was skinny, it's what's on the inside that one special person falls in love with. We all age and get saggy.


Oh, he does, although he nags me to exercise because he's terrified of me dying earlier than him. He's not the problem. It's the rest of society that, upon looking at someone who has to wear plus size clothes, immediately judges them and assumes they stuff their faces with cheeseburgers daily. Smiley: mad On that note, I might make it to pilates class this morning...

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 7:37am by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#65 Jun 24 2013 at 7:12 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
sandpark wrote:
sixstroke wrote:


So much is wrong here man..

I can eat 400 calories over my goal each day and still maintain. .It's all dependant on the quality of calories.

You can eat 400 calories beneath your goal a day amd yes lose some weight but you'll be losing more muscle and important tissue than you will fat.

If you eat even one calorie under your index you are losing weight. It won't be noticeable.
If you eat 400 calories over your index, you are gaining weight whether it's noticeable or not.

If you exercised 30min-1hr that 400 calories you went over is negated.

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 8:54pm by sandpark


Ugh, this is complete misinformation sand. Case in point: my fiance wanted to lose weight. She started a strict workout routine and made a daily goal of no more than 1200 calories per day, which she logged everything she ate. After 3 months, she had not lost a pound, because the quality of food she was eating was very poor (fast food at work, pizza at home, etc). So we switched to a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables, substituting high-fat foods for stuff like skinless chicken or fish. She stayed with her 1200 calories per day and workout routine, and in 3 months had lost 15 lbs.

Some foods may have the same amount of calories, but are not easily digested or not soluble. On the other hand, many fruits and vegetables may still contain a fair amount of calories, but many of those calories are actually burned simply in the digestion process, giving them a value much closer to zero. Meaning that, even if you are ingesting 1200 calories, you really end up only having added about 6-800 to your body, while still getting all the nutrients. Therefore, it is WAY easier to lose weight on a balanced diet.

Trust me, I work for a Health Food company and my immediate boss is a certified dietician and nutritionist. We've had lengthy discussions on this topic.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#66 Jun 24 2013 at 7:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
sandpark wrote:
Sweetie don't get down. I am sure your husband finds you to be the most beautiful girl in the world. We all want to feel comfortable. Looks are just surface level. Even if everyone was skinny, it's what's on the inside that one special person falls in love with. We all age and get saggy.


Catwho wrote:
Oh, he does, although he nags me to exercise because he's terrified of me dying earlier than him. He's not the problem. It's the rest of society that, upon looking at someone who has to wear plus size clothes, immediately judges them and assumes they stuff their faces with cheeseburgers daily. Smiley: mad On that note, I might make it to pilates class this morning...

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 7:37am by Catwho

Ah that's cool. I never nag anyone about much. I say how I feel once or what I expect, then lead by example. When I fully appreciate the ups and the downs of her. She comes around on her own and makes changes in herself for herself and me. Then we are both happy.

The best way to enjoy and keep an exercise schedule in my opinion is to do it together! Go kayaking, swimming, play basketball, volleyball, biking, hiking, mountain climbing, swimming, snorkeling, walking at romantic locations, wrestle, play twister, work on a yard project together,etc.Smiley: smile
#67 Jun 24 2013 at 8:20 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Catwho wrote:
Or you could have jacked up hormones like me and not burn calories at the proper rate and eat like a bird (or just eat healthy like I do) and still never lose an ounce.

It sucks. So I just try to eat healthy and maintain because I'd have to have my entire reproductive system removed to lose weight. Smiley: bah

Edited, Jun 24th 2013 12:01am by Catwho


I hear you sister. /comfort
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#68 Jun 24 2013 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
As healthy as it is munching on veggies while you grind your hearts out, you still need physical activity every hour.
Here is my advice: while mashing your number keys, stand up from your seat and then sit back down. Repeat this as often as you want to, but at LEAST do it every 30 minutes of sitting.


Nature calls me every 30 minutes. My **** is numb so I have to stand, and my bladder is full so I have to walk to the loo!

Hydrate, hydrate!
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#69 Jun 24 2013 at 8:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Another rule I've tried to maintain is no video game time til I've done some daily exercise. Now that I've done that, I can pop open XI and go farm stuff for money.

Yogalates: 1/2 yoga, 1/2 pilates, all tummy torture.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#70 Jun 24 2013 at 8:52 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,708 posts
I've brought it up elsewhere, and I guess I'll bring it up here, but you could just take a two minute break every hour and knock out some pushups and situps. Alternate between the two (pushups one hour, situps the next), and do as many as you can until you can't easily pick yourself back up and have to roll and rock back up to your feet.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#71 Jun 24 2013 at 8:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
599 posts
We should all get one of those under the desk steppers or mini cycle thingies so we're not as prone to DVT!
#72 Jun 24 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
How about an ARR version of a Chinese Fire Drill? Start a fight with a mob then jump up and run around the house, the goal being to get back before dying. My job keeps me pretty active so I don't have to be super strict about what I eat to maintain my fighting weight.
#73 Jun 24 2013 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
How about an ARR version of a Chinese Fire Drill? Start a fight with a mob then jump up and run around the house, the goal being to get back before dying. My job keeps me pretty active so I don't have to be super strict about what I eat to maintain my fighting weight.


That is so funny!
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#74 Jun 24 2013 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Keeping an eye on this thread, lots of great advice in here. Most of it I already knew (I do A LOT of research on dieting, exercise, nutrition, etc.) While I won't support a sticky, I would however, like to see this thread continuing on with information. Never know....could start an MMO health craze! The Gods know the overall community most likely needs it! (Just kidding! lol)
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#75 Jun 24 2013 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
11 posts
It's midnight where I'm at, and just finished a nice late night workout. Chest/Back day and now I am relaxing with a hydrolyzed protein shake blended with vanilla almond milk, 2 raw eggs, and a banana, tastes great. Doesn't matter when you workout, as long as you get it in. Btw you need plenty of sleep for recovery, but I get to sleep in tomorrow so it doesn't affect me. ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ
____________________________
Quetzalcoatl: Chaoselite
95 Kikoku - 4934 DMG
99NIN 99DRK 99PLD 99BST 99BLM 99THF 99MNK
103+3Smithing 63Cloth 60Wood 60Gold 50Leather
#76 Jun 25 2013 at 7:42 AM Rating: Excellent
For me personally it's all about activity. I had a desk job for 2 years and gained 20 lbs. Transferd back out to the warehouse floor where I walk 3-4 miles a day and the weight came right off. I do like the suggestions people had of taking breaks to do random exercise, even if it's just to keep the blood flowing nicely.
#77 Jun 25 2013 at 8:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
19 posts
My friend was going to throw out a stationary recumbent bike so I grabbed it from him and just got it set up in my sun room last night, going to try that while playing on the PS3 (red dead redemption for now). Used get exercise in easy but with a kid the schedule went out the window.
#78 Jun 25 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
magred14 wrote:
My friend was going to throw out a stationary recumbent bike so I grabbed it from him and just got it set up in my sun room last night, going to try that while playing on the PS3 (red dead redemption for now). Used get exercise in easy but with a kid the schedule went out the window.


That is awesome!! I'd be concerned about nether regions going numb on you, so take breaks and let me know how it turns out!
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#79 Jun 26 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
*
194 posts
ChaosElite22 wrote:
I work out 1 1/2hrs - 2hrs a days 6 days a week. Breakfast = smoothie (consists of spinach, 2 raw eggs, almond milk, a banana, and blueberries), later a snack of oatmeal with a banana, after workout a protein shake blended with 1 banana, almond milk, 2 raw eggs, then later dinner (if its not chicken then whatever I feel like), then maybe a snack if am up or if I need extra meal.

Oh and lots of water during the day. (´・ω・`)

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 4:08am by ChaosElite22


... I hope you use pasteurized raw eggs. (yes they exist. just a little more expensive)
____________________________
Among reasonable people, kindness is contagious.
#80 Jun 26 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Obakemono wrote:
ChaosElite22 wrote:
I work out 1 1/2hrs - 2hrs a days 6 days a week. Breakfast = smoothie (consists of spinach, 2 raw eggs, almond milk, a banana, and blueberries), later a snack of oatmeal with a banana, after workout a protein shake blended with 1 banana, almond milk, 2 raw eggs, then later dinner (if its not chicken then whatever I feel like), then maybe a snack if am up or if I need extra meal.

Oh and lots of water during the day. (´・ω・`)

Edited, Jun 23rd 2013 4:08am by ChaosElite22


... I hope you use pasteurized raw eggs. (yes they exist. just a little more expensive)


We have fertilized eggs up here. Kinda yucky to me. We also have duck eggs.


Here is a list of gmo companies and the products. Playing the game and snacking goes hand in hand. May want to avoid the products on the list.
http://www.naturalcuresnotmedicine.com/2013/05/a-list-of-gmo-companies-and-products.html#GPxSVB0qdGpA126j.01


____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#81 Jun 26 2013 at 1:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
11 posts
I guess I should have mentioned that, I use "Safest Choice" eggs, usually go to Whole Foods to get them.
____________________________
Quetzalcoatl: Chaoselite
95 Kikoku - 4934 DMG
99NIN 99DRK 99PLD 99BST 99BLM 99THF 99MNK
103+3Smithing 63Cloth 60Wood 60Gold 50Leather
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 79 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (78)