Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Mmorpg's First Impression Updated 07/03/2013Follow

#102 Jun 30 2013 at 12:59 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Smiley: lol This notion that Xenogears and FFVII where different types of games is BS! They are both J-RPG, is not like i am comparing a shooter with an adventure game.... Smiley: rolleyes FFVII was successful, there is no denying that, but it success was not because it was the greatest RPG to have ever blessed a gaming console, it was because it had both Sony and SE PR departments behind it, there where tons of ads on tv, on magazines, on coca cola or was it pepsi ? Was VII better than any RPG before it ? No! Was it better than any rpg after it ? No! So is not the best RPG of all time, not even in the top 5, was it a good solid RPG ? Yes it was, it was a title that was released at the right time, when the Ps1 was blowing every other console out of the water in terms of sales, it was their flagship title, is not surprising it sold so many copies.

____________________________
MUTED
#103 Jun 30 2013 at 1:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
There's this thing called an opinion...
#104Killua125, Posted: Jun 30 2013 at 1:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I guess that's Ostia's opinion.
#105 Jun 30 2013 at 1:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
970 posts
Ostia wrote:
Smiley: lol This notion that Xenogears and FFVII where different types of games is BS! They are both J-RPG, is not like i am comparing a shooter with an adventure game.... Smiley: rolleyes FFVII was successful, there is no denying that, but it success was not because it was the greatest RPG to have ever blessed a gaming console, it was because it had both Sony and SE PR departments behind it, there where tons of ads on tv, on magazines, on coca cola or was it pepsi ? Was VII better than any RPG before it ? No! Was it better than any rpg after it ? No! So is not the best RPG of all time, not even in the top 5, was it a good solid RPG ? Yes it was, it was a title that was released at the right time, when the Ps1 was blowing every other console out of the water in terms of sales, it was their flagship title, is not surprising it sold so many copies.


Aye, yai, yai. It seems I spurned a passion inside you.
I am not saying Xeno and FFVII are different types of games. FFVII was the rpg that took jrpgs from being niche, set the standard for what blockbuster games aim for now, aka high production values. Did it succeed at outselling all other FF? Yes, but I don't give a rat's *** on how much it sold. I'm just showing you that it defined where rpgs and gaming have trended towards to since. That makes it more influential.

It was better than alot of rpgs before it and it is better than some rpgs after it. It was a quality rpg. Worthless turds do not sell 10 million regardless if they released at the right time or had the hugest marketing campaign ever. Every console FF is Square's flagship title. High sales don't dictate which game is best. They just reflect that a game did not do much wrong and didn't go to extremes on re-invention to **** off their current fanbase.

Unless SE makes another FF that sets the standard for things we have never experienced before. We will never see another FF sell as well. That's what FF did on PS1 in terms of creating a blockbuster. And you know what? I'm perfectly fine if an FF doesn't sell 10 million plus. I will play, enjoy, and love whichever FF appeals to me the most.

Edited, Jun 30th 2013 3:16pm by sandpark
#106Ostia, Posted: Jun 30 2013 at 1:23 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Worthless turds do sell millions and millions, look at XIII, Call of duty..... Do i need to go on ? Also there is far more negative things that FFVII set into motions than positive, now every RPG has to be a movie, has to have the visuals, every character has to have stupid hair, emo looking etc etc...
#107 Jun 30 2013 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
There's appreciating great jrpg's other than VII and then there's the knee jerk reaction to dismiss VII because of it's cult popularity.

I remember when VII released. Watching my older brother play it and playing it myself when he wasn't around to chase me off his playstation. I'm just glad I was able to play it when it still had that new car smell. VII turned me from a casual eyeroller into wanting my own game console.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#108 Jun 30 2013 at 1:37 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,081 posts
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't play the game if it was to be microtransaction... I see nothing appealing about a game where uberness is determined by how much money I spent on it, rather than how much time/effort I put into it.

Free-to-Play != Pay-to-Win. Until you can get over that bias, you run the risk of ******** yourself out of future game enjoyment. Additionally, a subscription model does not immediately disqualify certain individuals from throwing even more money at the game to get an edge, be it through third-party RMT or even something as "legit" as running multiple accounts (usually with additional, potential ToS-breaking software to simplify the process).

Being nickel-and-dimed sucks, but I also feel like pro-sub players are getting screwed by devs more than they're willing to admit. And why would they? It could mean wasted time and investments.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#109 Jun 30 2013 at 1:39 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
I understand that feeling, it was the first game i bought along with the PS1, it was good, it feelt good, i remember when i plugged the ps1 and finally got the game going, the first 20 minutes where amazing Smiley: blush But it was not the greatest game ever created, nor does my nostalgia for it, does not blind me as for why it sold so good, many people around here, put down WOW because "Oh people only play that game, because other people play that Game" Can that apply to VII ? Owning FFVII back then was the cool thing to do, just like playing WOW was the cool thing to do once upon a time. There are many factors as to why the game was so successful, but to narrow it down to just "It was the greatest RPG" its silly.
____________________________
MUTED
#110 Jun 30 2013 at 1:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
262 posts
I know it's been the cool thing to hate on VII for a while now, but that game is still one of the best gaming experiences I've had in my life. I remember being a young 12 year old boy who got his playstation and FFVII for christmas that year, and I don't think I came out of my room much until I was forced to go back to school after Christmas break.

Alot of the nuances and elements that I loved about that game I don't remember much anymore, I just remember that it was indeed a great game that I enjoyed playing nonstop trying to achieve everything in that game. There's only a handful of games that have given me that type of experience.

I really despise video game snobs, well snobs in general.
#111 Jun 30 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Ostia wrote:
I understand that feeling, it was the first game i bought along with the PS1, it was good, it feelt good, i remember when i plugged the ps1 and finally got the game going, the first 20 minutes where amazing Smiley: blush But it was not the greatest game ever created, nor does my nostalgia for it, does not blind me as for why it sold so good, many people around here, put down WOW because "Oh people only play that game, because other people play that Game" Can that apply to VII ? Owning FFVII back then was the cool thing to do, just like playing WOW was the cool thing to do once upon a time. There are many factors as to why the game was so successful, but to narrow it down to just "It was the greatest RPG" its silly.


~laughs~ I was actually very possessive of the game. I'd get so mad at my brother and his friend's interpretations of it. Call it feminine childhood hormones! lol

That being said yes, it was indeed the "cool" game.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#112 Jun 30 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
970 posts
XIII is not a worthless ****. It is far from my favorite FF but it has no major flaws or bugs in it's playability. Just different from FF before it.
Call Of Duty isn't a worthless ****. It has been the most polished FPS for a good time. I think it might get usurped by TitanFall though.

Negative, positive, yeah I leave that up to interpretation. Without the advances in technology, consoles would still have graphics and story conveyed in the same way as NES. It's when games go overboard with cutscenes or QTE that I start getting driven batty. I love games with high production values that don't shrink the gameplay. FFVII didn't shrink the gameplay. It still had many hours of gameplay and side stuff. Didn't care much for VIII, loved IX(my second favorite), X(liked more than a few FF, introduced voice acting), XII(Third favorite, loved it but alot of people didn't), XIII(flawless design, but had limited gameplay), XIII-2(had more gameplay than XIII,but I was starting to get tired of the universe and story),FFXIII-3(Might try it, but at this point I'm aching for a new universe), FFXV(looks like one of the most ambitious offline FF to date, I'm not a huge KH fan, so I'm kind of sketchy on if I'll like the battle system). But let me tell you, the world of FFXV looks jaw dropping.

The FF I'm looking forward to most is ARR and hopefully we get an FF directed by Ito..
#113 Jun 30 2013 at 1:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
262 posts
Seriha wrote:
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't play the game if it was to be microtransaction... I see nothing appealing about a game where uberness is determined by how much money I spent on it, rather than how much time/effort I put into it.

Free-to-Play != Pay-to-Win. Until you can get over that bias, you run the risk of ******** yourself out of future game enjoyment. Additionally, a subscription model does not immediately disqualify certain individuals from throwing even more money at the game to get an edge, be it through third-party RMT or even something as "legit" as running multiple accounts (usually with additional, potential ToS-breaking software to simplify the process).

Being nickel-and-dimed sucks, but I also feel like pro-sub players are getting screwed by devs more than they're willing to admit. And why would they? It could mean wasted time and investments.



How are you being screwed paying ~$15 a month for an entertainment product that you enjoy and want to play? That you can put as many hours into during that month that you want to?

It's been beaten to death here about f2p vs p2p, but I wouldn't mind hearing your explanation on how p2p screws people.
#114 Jun 30 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#115 Jun 30 2013 at 9:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
He just has a really annoying way of arguing where he states his opinion as if it were a fact in order to back up his point. Then he throws a hissy fit when his argument gets nowhere.

Case in point:
Quote:
Was VII better than any RPG before it ? No! Was it better than any rpg after it ? No! So is not the best RPG of all time, not even in the top 5, was it a good solid RPG ? Yes it was

FFS, just shut up Smiley: lol

Edited, Jun 30th 2013 11:22pm by BrokenFox
#116 Jun 30 2013 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Chrono Trigger>Xenogears>Final Fantasy Tactics>FFVII>Brave Fencer Mushashi (lol)

FFVII was a force to be reckoned with, and I doubt we would even be talking about FFXIV if it had not done so well, but it terms of gameplay and story, VI did it better. Imagine how successful VI would have been if it was in FFVII's place with updated graphics, not that it wasn't successful enough on the SNES.
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#117 Jun 30 2013 at 9:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
FFVII was a great game to me, and my first entry into the series. Since then I've played them all, save for XIII. It was not, however, my favorite Square game, nor FF. That honor belongs to Tactics hands down. In terms of enjoyability and uniqueness I would have to rate SaGa Frontier, Legend of Mana, and possibly even Xenogears above FFVII.

I spent so many hours playing LoM with my best friend back in the day. The multiplayer really made that game what it was. It was very satisfying to beat another one of our friends that used a Gameshark to get max stats in the battle arena XD. Not to mention it came up with a crafting system so esoteric that people still haven't been capable of figuring out completely, at least in English. Saga frontier was so painfully difficult and unforgiving that I couldn't help but constantly attempt to play repeatedly until I eventually mastered it. Xenogears had an interesting and engaging battle system with all of the combos and the ability to switch to mech fighting.

However, If it wasn't for FFVII I would have probably never experienced all of the other wonderful SE titles. It will always have a special place in my heart.. Behind FFT that is. :o

Edit: Oh man, I forgot about Brave Fencer Musashi... I wish I never let my friend talk me into selling it back in the day. >.<

Off topic somewhat...
I think I'm in the minority of people that would rather see a 16/32bit-esque RPG on a current gen system with the money put into it that everything else gets. Sadly, all of my favorite IPs and styles have moved to inferior handheld platforms. I would love to play an RPG that has over 100 hours of gameplay and an expansive 2D world (I could see something akin to Lunar doing decent on a console now). Or a 2D Metroidvania game with the quality of SotN, but with a map so unbelievably huge you couldn't even imagine it in today's market. Beautiful hand-drawn back and foregrounds, each unique to that particular area in the world.

One day an indie developer will make my dreams come true.. and on that day I will know that I can die happy.



Edited, Jun 30th 2013 11:50pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#118 Jun 30 2013 at 9:51 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?
____________________________
MUTED
#119 Jun 30 2013 at 9:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
Ostia wrote:
Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I appologize, but I am envisioning Wint falling from the sky with a bag of popcorn Fat Chocobo style...

I loled...
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#120 Jun 30 2013 at 10:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
DamienSScott wrote:


However, If it wasn't for FFVII I would have probably never experienced all of the other wonderful SE titles. It will always have a special place in my heart.. Behind FFT that is. :o


Edited, Jun 30th 2013 11:50pm by DamienSScott


FFX was the one for me. After that I went back and played the others. FFIX would be a close second. VIII was okay. Liked XII a lot. XIII felt too limited. Also...am I wrong for enjoying X-2 a little? Smiley: blush
#121 Jun 30 2013 at 10:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
FFX was the one for me. After that I went back and played the others. FFIX would be a close second. VIII was okay. Liked XII a lot. XIII felt too limited. Also...am I wrong for enjoying X-2 a little? Smiley: blush


I was never a big fan of FFX personally. The battle system wasn't terrible, but the lack of an open world to walk/fly around in really turned me off after playing the others. I know most all of the FFs are pretty linear, but it made the game feel even more so to me.

I'm one of the few people that likes FFIX a lot as well. The music was great (Freya's Theme ftw) and the way that you learned abilities was awesome.

I bought FFX-2 (and the CE guide/artwork book that came with it for some reason) and It wasn't too bad. The job system was pretty interesting, however I think I eventually ended up with something like Two Dark Knights and a Healer. It seemed pretty easy to become OP in that game, at least more so than any other FF game. Come to think of it, I should find that guide again. It would make some excellent reading material.

PS: My guide has Payne on the cover.

Edited, Jul 1st 2013 12:13am by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#122 Jun 30 2013 at 10:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Quote:
Off topic somewhat...
I think I'm in the minority of people that would rather see a 16/32bit-esque RPG on a current gen system with the money put into it that everything else gets. Sadly, all of my favorite IPs and styles have moved to inferior handheld platforms. I would love to play an RPG that has over 100 hours of gameplay and an expansive 2D world (I could see something akin to Lunar doing decent on a console now).


I'm on board with that this idea. I miss sprites in video games, they were so awesome.

Games like Radiant Historia are doing a decent job picking up a bit of that need, but it's just not the same.


Edited, Jul 1st 2013 12:22am by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#123 Jun 30 2013 at 10:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
FFX was the one for me. After that I went back and played the others. FFIX would be a close second. VIII was okay. Liked XII a lot. XIII felt too limited. Also...am I wrong for enjoying X-2 a little? Smiley: blush


I was never a big fan of FFX personally. The battle system wasn't terrible, but the lack of an open world to walk/fly around in really turned me off after playing the others. I know most all of the FFs are pretty linear, but it made the game feel even more so to me.

I'm one of the few people that likes FFIX a lot as well. The music was great (Freya's Theme ftw) and the way that you learned abilities was awesome.

I bought FFX-2 (and the CE guide/artwork book that came with it for some reason) and It wasn't too bad. The job system was pretty interesting, however I think I eventually ended up with something like Two Dark Knights and a Healer. It seemed pretty easy to become OP in that game, at least more so than any other FF game. Come to think of it, I should find that guide again. It would make some excellent reading material.

PS: My guide has Payne on the cover.

Edited, Jul 1st 2013 12:13am by DamienSScott


Those were the two things I liked about IX the most as well. Good to know I'm not alone on X-2 lol.
#124 Jun 30 2013 at 10:45 PM Rating: Excellent
I loved the storyline of X, and X-2 was solid until the ending, IMO. And I enjoyed IX more than VII or VIII.

However, I hated XII, and I am constantly amazed by the number of people who liked it!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#125 Jun 30 2013 at 11:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Xoie wrote:
Ostia wrote:
FFVII was not the best RPG to have touched a PS1, Xenogears is far better, so is Star Ocean 2 or Suikoden. FFVII was the flagship title of the PS1, sony alone poured over a million dollars in advertisement, SE put so much money on the game, that if it had failed, they would have been bankrupt, you can put any Squaresoft title relased on the PS1 timeline, and replace it with VII, and it would have been the same success, FFVII was an OK rpg, it was an upgraded graphic version of VI, with a stupid storyline on it, that is what VII was.


Most people can't name a character from Xenogears or Star Ocean (any of them really) or Suikoden. (Don't worry Ostia, I'm sure you can, and I'm sure you can even Google the ones you can't... it's not the point).

But Cloud, Septhiroth, Tifa, and Aerith are still popular icons to this day. I still see them show up in popular art or cosplay, and they're instantly recognizable in a way that the characters from the other series are not. I think FFVII left its mark on gaming culture a lot more than most games ever will, and that's really where you can tell the difference with which of these games were legendary and which were simply good. You don't find the answer in sales numbers, it's in who remembers the experience and for how long.


He wasn't talking about popularity. He was talking about his perceived quality of the game.

People use this example a lot, but Justin Bieber is one of the most recognizable artists in the world but not necessarily 'the best', and that could also apply to Final Fantasy (VII) and other RPGs. So, just because a lot of people haven't played Suikoden II on the PS1 doesn't necessarily mean that Final Fantasy VII is better, just because people know the names Cloud, Sephiroth, Tifa, etc.


Well, however you want to define it, FF7 is a game that means more to more people than those other games. I can think of a dozen fighting games better than Street Fighter 2, but I can't think of one that had a bigger impact culturally. I can think of dozens of action RPGs which are objectively better than the original legend of zelda, but none that had a bigger impact. These aren't just games, they're games that launched brands. Xenogears was great but no one is waiting for Xenogears online. FF7 launched the final fantasy franchise into the mainstream consciousness, even though the series had a loyal fanbase years before that.

Probably a better comparison than Justin Bieber is Nirvana. A band which is, possibly, not even the best band in their own genre in their own time, but which is indelibly etched into the culture, and will always be the quintessential "grunge" band.

There's "best" if that can be objectively talked about, and there's "popular" but there's also "important." FF7 was "important" in a way that those other RPGs weren't.

And by the way, if you really think what separated games like ff7 or wow from their contemporaries is just marketing then you aren't perceptive enough to offer a sophisticated opinion on the subject. You may want to take a look at how those games broke new ground mechanically and in presentation. They weren't just "good" games, they were unprecedented games.


Edited, Jul 1st 2013 2:35am by KarlHungis
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#126 Jun 30 2013 at 11:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I'll show up where ever the f*** I feel, these are my forums remember? I say FFVII is the best RPG ever because I think it is, what do you say to that? Your numbers are ****, to me, it's my favorite. I hadn't heard of the game, I bought my PS1 and the game months after it came out and had never heard of any RPG's, the game looked interesting and I needed a game to go with my console purchase.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#127 Jul 01 2013 at 12:39 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I'll show up where ever the f*** I feel, these are my forums remember? I say FFVII is the best RPG ever because I think it is, what do you say to that? .


The best JRPG of all time is FFX. You can't argue against it because it's science. Newton and Einstein proved it in the Emancipation Proclamation


Edited, Jul 1st 2013 2:51am by KarlHungis
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#128 Jul 01 2013 at 12:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I'll show up where ever the f*** I feel, these are my forums remember? I say FFVII is the best RPG ever because I think it is, what do you say to that? .


The best JRPG of all time is FFX. You cant argue against it because it's science. Newton and Einstein proved it in the Emancipation Proclamation


Smiley: laugh Loved me some X, I can't wait to play it on my Vita.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#129 Jul 01 2013 at 3:08 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I'll show up where ever the f*** I feel, these are my forums remember? I say FFVII is the best RPG ever because I think it is, what do you say to that? Your numbers are sh*t, to me, it's my favorite. I hadn't heard of the game, I bought my PS1 and the game months after it came out and had never heard of any RPG's, the game looked interesting and I needed a game to go with my console purchase.


Usually you show up when i give you a Gysal Green! And yes i remember this are Kaolians forums Smiley: lol But whatever you say Smiley: lol

So FFVII was your first RPG ? You never played any before that one ?
____________________________
MUTED
#130 Jul 01 2013 at 3:09 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Thayos wrote:
I loved the storyline of X, and X-2 was solid until the ending, IMO. And I enjoyed IX more than VII or VIII.

However, I hated XII, and I am constantly amazed by the number of people who liked it!


Smiley: eek A XII HATER!!! How dare you bash my precious XII on this Forums!!! Smiley: mad
____________________________
MUTED
#131 Jul 01 2013 at 3:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
The best JRPG of all time is FFX. You can't argue against it because it's science. Newton and Einstein proved it in the Emancipation Proclamation


Edited, Jul 1st 2013 2:51am by KarlHungis


FFX is way underrated. I first played it when I was about 10 (I'm 23 now), so there's a bit of a nostalgia bias there, but man that game was good. VII and X are the best Final Fantasy games so far, imo.

Edited, Jul 1st 2013 5:42am by BrokenFox
#132 Jul 01 2013 at 6:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
There's this thing called an opinion...


I guess that's Ostia's opinion.


The problem is Ostia doesn't believe anyone else is entitled to their opinion. If you disagree with him you're wrong.


Ostia's problem is not that nobody else is entitled to their Opinion. Is that wint cannot read, unlike you, i do not dismiss anybody's opinions when they disagree with me, if you had actually read what i said, i never said they where wrong, i said that to say FFVII was the best RPG ever, because it sold 10 million copy's is silly, FFVII was a solid RPG, but it did not sell 10 million copies, because it was just that good, they had a huge marketing campaign behind the ******* which has not been seen up until that point in time, much like how Blizzard did it with WOW.

Now i do not remember giving you a gysal green... Why are you here ?


I'll show up where ever the f*** I feel, these are my forums remember? I say FFVII is the best RPG ever because I think it is, what do you say to that? Your numbers are sh*t, to me, it's my favorite. I hadn't heard of the game, I bought my PS1 and the game months after it came out and had never heard of any RPG's, the game looked interesting and I needed a game to go with my console purchase.

I still remember playing VII for the first time. I could tell the PS was a step up graphically. Then I put in VII and found out it hadn't till that point. A FInal Fantasy that played like the snes ones, not gameplay shrinked, but looked super.

Are you ******* kidding me? I was in love with my PS starting with this title. I still loved other FF more. But the impact VII had on PS. Good god!
#133 Jul 01 2013 at 8:38 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Usually you show up when i give you a Gysal Green! And yes i remember this are Kaolians forums Smiley: lol But whatever you say Smiley: lol

So FFVII was your first RPG ? You never played any before that one ?


Yeah I saw you named your Chocobo Wint, internet stalking must be fun Smiley: rolleyes

Yep, never got into RPGs before VII. I've gone back and played the earlier ones but VII was my first. I can find things I like about all the FF's and things I don't like, I think arguments about which RPG is the best are non productive, it's all about personal opinion and whatever makes your favorite fun to you may not be the same for another person.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#134 Jul 01 2013 at 8:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Back in the PS1 days my favorite part of a new FF was the opening cinematic, man I loved those. They look clunky and boring now, but back then that was amazing ****.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#135 Jul 01 2013 at 8:50 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Usually you show up when i give you a Gysal Green! And yes i remember this are Kaolians forums Smiley: lol But whatever you say Smiley: lol

So FFVII was your first RPG ? You never played any before that one ?


Yeah I saw you named your Chocobo Wint, internet stalking must be fun Smiley: rolleyes

Yep, never got into RPGs before VII. I've gone back and played the earlier ones but VII was my first. I can find things I like about all the FF's and things I don't like, I think arguments about which RPG is the best are non productive, it's all about personal opinion and whatever makes your favorite fun to you may not be the same for another person.


Hey! It was hilarious the first time i summoned it and everybody got a kick from it Smiley: lol

I think they can be productive as long as is done in a well mannered fashion, with logical arguments etc etc.

Have you played Vagrant Story ?
____________________________
MUTED
#136 Jul 01 2013 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,081 posts
Hatamaz wrote:
It's been beaten to death here about f2p vs p2p, but I wouldn't mind hearing your explanation on how p2p screws people.

It's a matter of what's offered by the game and what you participate in. Let's just throw together a list of potential activities:

1) Leveling combat classes.
2) Leveling craft skills/classes.
3) Quests/Missions/Stories.
4) Solo challenges.
5) Small-group Dungeons.
6) Large-group Raids.
7) Achievement hunting.
8) Pet collecting.
9) House construction.
10) Wardrobe management.
11) Role-playing.

You can add more, I'm sure, and say the sub model is a good value, but that depends on how much of the above you actually care for. The question then becomes how much of your $15/mo goes toward the things you enjoy to receive yet more of it. If you're someone who's only into 1, 2, and 3 where you cap all jobs/crafts and finish the story content, what do you do? Do you keep paying in hopes they'll add stuff for you in the next patch or maybe take a break? What if you pay for 6 months and get nothing new? Might you feel a little ripped off?

This is where loyalty can be bad as a consumer and leads to complacency from the developer. No, not everyone is going to like or want the same things out of SE, that much is apparent if you read a few critique and request threads. And I would hope that SE is internally tracking everything players do so they could put out stuff like a census saying, "x% of players have beaten this dungeon!" or "y% of players have leveled Gladiator to 50!' That kind of data will tell them the things players are into and will hopefully influence more of that content development. The exception I anticipate out of this, as seems to be the case with a lot of other MMOs, is #6. It doesn't matter how small the percentage of the population is that's beaten raid content (while boasting everyone else does it), it unfortunately seems the endgame focus and continues to be an avenue of exclusion for many.

But let's say the game is free to log in and take on basic tasks like 1, 2, 7, and 11 with the first dungeon available to let people have a taste. If you find you like 5, you could pay $3-5 for each dungeon after. But you might think, "There's like... 8 dungeons! That'd be $24-40! Rip-off!" How many dungeons would you realistically expect to come out in a 3 month span? Even at the most expensive end, that's less than 3 months sub and you're doing what you want. Stuff like costumes and pets have already proven successful in other games as simple fluff items, and hardly required to play. I'd also say the same of housing. Role-playing isn't something you can fundamentally charge players to do unless it's stuff like new emotes or scripted actions. Again, fluff. Achievements can certainly wiggle their way into all avenues and reward anything from titles to pets to mounts and then some. Realistically, these should also be limited to fluff, but sometimes "must have" items slip through. And if for any reason you want to take a break? There's no guilt about have 15 days left in the month feeling like your money's going down the drain.

While it may be simple to liken it to up-front payment against payment over time, a good F2P should be cheaper in the long-term for many. A sub model could even remain that offers content for free as well as discounts on the fluff things. Of course, I'd also make sure players have the option to "buy" new content with gil or some kind of currency they can acquire within the game itself. Have trial periods, promotion codes, bulk sales on things like dungeons, basically anything to tell consumers, "Hey, were making stuff! Play it!" And if people like it, they'll buy it. If people don't like something in a sub model? Well, they're usually not given much of a choice to explain why. It's either pay for that stuff too or unsub. In the end, even if you're happy, it doesn't mean everyone else is and addressing their grievances can't lead to a better game for everyone. That's why I've always hated the, "If you don't like it, quit!" or "Maybe this game isn't for you!" rhetoric that some like to spew. Like it or not, they've helped pay for a game you enjoy.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#137 Jul 01 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
148 posts
Seriha wrote:
Hatamaz wrote:
It's been beaten to death here about f2p vs p2p, but I wouldn't mind hearing your explanation on how p2p screws people.

It's a matter of what's offered by the game and what you participate in. Let's just throw together a list of potential activities:

1) Leveling combat classes.
2) Leveling craft skills/classes.
3) Quests/Missions/Stories.
4) Solo challenges.
5) Small-group Dungeons.
6) Large-group Raids.
7) Achievement hunting.
8) Pet collecting.
9) House construction.
10) Wardrobe management.
11) Role-playing.

You can add more, I'm sure, and say the sub model is a good value, but that depends on how much of the above you actually care for. The question then becomes how much of your $15/mo goes toward the things you enjoy to receive yet more of it. If you're someone who's only into 1, 2, and 3 where you cap all jobs/crafts and finish the story content, what do you do? Do you keep paying in hopes they'll add stuff for you in the next patch or maybe take a break? What if you pay for 6 months and get nothing new? Might you feel a little ripped off?

This is where loyalty can be bad as a consumer and leads to complacency from the developer. No, not everyone is going to like or want the same things out of SE, that much is apparent if you read a few critique and request threads. And I would hope that SE is internally tracking everything players do so they could put out stuff like a census saying, "x% of players have beaten this dungeon!" or "y% of players have leveled Gladiator to 50!' That kind of data will tell them the things players are into and will hopefully influence more of that content development. The exception I anticipate out of this, as seems to be the case with a lot of other MMOs, is #6. It doesn't matter how small the percentage of the population is that's beaten raid content (while boasting everyone else does it), it unfortunately seems the endgame focus and continues to be an avenue of exclusion for many.

But let's say the game is free to log in and take on basic tasks like 1, 2, 7, and 11 with the first dungeon available to let people have a taste. If you find you like 5, you could pay $3-5 for each dungeon after. But you might think, "There's like... 8 dungeons! That'd be $24-40! Rip-off!" How many dungeons would you realistically expect to come out in a 3 month span? Even at the most expensive end, that's less than 3 months sub and you're doing what you want. Stuff like costumes and pets have already proven successful in other games as simple fluff items, and hardly required to play. I'd also say the same of housing. Role-playing isn't something you can fundamentally charge players to do unless it's stuff like new emotes or scripted actions. Again, fluff. Achievements can certainly wiggle their way into all avenues and reward anything from titles to pets to mounts and then some. Realistically, these should also be limited to fluff, but sometimes "must have" items slip through. And if for any reason you want to take a break? There's no guilt about have 15 days left in the month feeling like your money's going down the drain.

While it may be simple to liken it to up-front payment against payment over time, a good F2P should be cheaper in the long-term for many. A sub model could even remain that offers content for free as well as discounts on the fluff things. Of course, I'd also make sure players have the option to "buy" new content with gil or some kind of currency they can acquire within the game itself. Have trial periods, promotion codes, bulk sales on things like dungeons, basically anything to tell consumers, "Hey, were making stuff! Play it!" And if people like it, they'll buy it. If people don't like something in a sub model? Well, they're usually not given much of a choice to explain why. It's either pay for that stuff too or unsub. In the end, even if you're happy, it doesn't mean everyone else is and addressing their grievances can't lead to a better game for everyone. That's why I've always hated the, "If you don't like it, quit!" or "Maybe this game isn't for you!" rhetoric that some like to spew. Like it or not, they've helped pay for a game you enjoy.


I love you. ^^;
____________________________
Proud PS3 User

Final Fantasy Addict

"No act of kindness, no matter how small, goes unrewarded" -- Aesop
#138 Jul 01 2013 at 12:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ostia wrote:
Wint wrote:
Ostia wrote:
Usually you show up when i give you a Gysal Green! And yes i remember this are Kaolians forums Smiley: lol But whatever you say Smiley: lol

So FFVII was your first RPG ? You never played any before that one ?


Yeah I saw you named your Chocobo Wint, internet stalking must be fun Smiley: rolleyes

Yep, never got into RPGs before VII. I've gone back and played the earlier ones but VII was my first. I can find things I like about all the FF's and things I don't like, I think arguments about which RPG is the best are non productive, it's all about personal opinion and whatever makes your favorite fun to you may not be the same for another person.


Hey! It was hilarious the first time i summoned it and everybody got a kick from it Smiley: lol

I think they can be productive as long as is done in a well mannered fashion, with logical arguments etc etc.

Have you played Vagrant Story ?


Yes, it was eh. I know everyone loves it but it just wasn't my thing.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#139 Jul 01 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
It has aged very, very badly.
#140 Jul 01 2013 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Seriha wrote:
Hatamaz wrote:
It's been beaten to death here about f2p vs p2p, but I wouldn't mind hearing your explanation on how p2p screws people.

The question then becomes how much of your $15/mo goes toward the things you enjoy to receive yet more of it. If you're someone who's only into 1, 2, and 3 where you cap all jobs/crafts and finish the story content, what do you do? Do you keep paying in hopes they'll add stuff for you in the next patch or maybe take a break? What if you pay for 6 months and get nothing new? Might you feel a little ripped off?


You're under some kind of assumption that F2P is a magical DLC investment model that lets players fund the type of gameplay they want to see developed. The reality is, F2P is typically nothing more than a series of one-off items or bonuses designed to make the game easier for the purchaser and to line the pockets of the publisher; it's certainly not to direct future development for the most exciting player experiences from players who vote with their dollars. There's no ongoing game I can think of that offers what you describe; though I'd be fascinated to take a look at it if you can name one.

An MMO is supposed to be one game that evolves over time and where the players experience this progression with a continuity you can't get from jumping from one series title to the next. Subscription dollars are a fairly predictable source of income that lets developers create new content with confidence that the money won't run dry before they're finished; this is the sort of thing you can't get with the à la carte F2P style which seldom concerns itself with major new development except as a way to sell more things to buy for no more purpose than that.

More importantly, there are going to be things in an MMO that you may not care to participate in, but the fact that it exists makes the things you do like better. I have to remind hardcore players all the time that maybe they don't like casual play, but having a population of mostly casual players puts investment into their hardcore gameplay style within the game that they couldn't get if they went it alone. Maybe you like FFXIV for the crafting, and not the endgame, but having a lot of people into endgame gives you customers with which to sell your crafts and acquire ingredients. So you see, a good MMO creates opportunities for enjoyment among people who don't necessarily like the same thing, but their shared participation makes the whole experience possible and rewarding.
#141 Jul 01 2013 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,081 posts
Xoie wrote:
Seriha wrote:
Hatamaz wrote:
It's been beaten to death here about f2p vs p2p, but I wouldn't mind hearing your explanation on how p2p screws people.

The question then becomes how much of your $15/mo goes toward the things you enjoy to receive yet more of it. If you're someone who's only into 1, 2, and 3 where you cap all jobs/crafts and finish the story content, what do you do? Do you keep paying in hopes they'll add stuff for you in the next patch or maybe take a break? What if you pay for 6 months and get nothing new? Might you feel a little ripped off?


You're under some kind of assumption that F2P is a magical DLC investment model that lets players fund the type of gameplay they want to see developed. The reality is, F2P is typically nothing more than a series of one-off items or bonuses designed to make the game easier for the purchaser and to line the pockets of the publisher; it's certainly not to direct future development for the most exciting player experiences from players who vote with their dollars. There's no ongoing game I can think of that offers what you describe; though I'd be fascinated to take a look at it if you can name one.

I can't think of one, either, but it's basically a "How I would do it..." to the process. As profitable? Dunno, but as long as we know that all the money XIV, or any game for that matter, doesn't entirely go back into it, makes me wary of the sub model and potential honesty of the team behind it. Doing as little as possible to retain the most subs is, to me, not a good philosophy. Rift recently went F2P, and while I don't have any immediate gripes with their model, my problems with the game lie more in the casual's endgame. I know they have census numbers, too, as one of their livestreams mentioned only 0.03% of their player base had maxed planar attunement (think something similar to XI's merits). Hop on the boards, though, and you could certainly find a number of "pro" talking heads who love to claim everyone's maxed, all raids are on farm, nobody has trouble doing such and such, blah blah, you get the idea. If these are the people any dev team are listening to, I practically fear for those games.

Quote:
More importantly, there are going to be things in an MMO that you may not care to participate in, but the fact that it exists makes the things you do like better. I have to remind hardcore players all the time that maybe they don't like casual play, but having a population of mostly casual players puts investment into their hardcore gameplay style within the game that they couldn't get if they went it alone. Maybe you like FFXIV for the crafting, and not the endgame, but having a lot of people into endgame gives you customers with which to sell your crafts and acquire ingredients. So you see, a good MMO creates opportunities for enjoyment among people who don't necessarily like the same thing, but their shared participation makes the whole experience possible and rewarding.

In a perfect world, yeah, the scrubs pay for the hardcores and the craft economies are strong, but the latter is something I've never seen accomplished, if only because the hardcores demand raid drops obsolete craft goods. You may occasionally get exceptions, but my money is on them requiring raid drops which subsequently don't hit the economy because they're kept within their guild and likely not an actual profit to a given crafter. Personally, I'd wish "completed gear" never dropped from mobs and always had to go through a crafter via materials dropped, but that's really another topic.

I just hate how "free" is automatically treated as anathema, but that's probably just my 90's gamer self talking before paid services kicked off.

Edited, Jul 1st 2013 4:03pm by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#142 Jul 02 2013 at 12:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
5 posts
Wint wrote:
Back in the PS1 days my favorite part of a new FF was the opening cinematic, man I loved those. They look clunky and boring now, but back then that was amazing sh*t.

Those were always my favourite, too! That and figuring out the new levelling system (I still think X-2's garment grids were my favourite, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion).
#143 Jul 02 2013 at 2:17 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
197 posts
Zhailei wrote:
Wint wrote:
Back in the PS1 days my favorite part of a new FF was the opening cinematic, man I loved those. They look clunky and boring now, but back then that was amazing sh*t.

Those were always my favourite, too! That and figuring out the new levelling system (I still think X-2's garment grids were my favourite, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion).

Hmmm, I'd think you'd find (and I do agree) that most would say the dressphere/garment grid, as a concept, was not too shabby. I didn't like things like Ultima & Full-Cure being GG only, but the mechanics were sound, I would have liked a degree of cross-classing though (without the mascot DS), maybe setting a 2nd ability set onto your skills. In saying that, 2 x DK with Darkness & an Alchemist tossing Mega Potions was OP for all bar the later stages of the Via Infinito.

I think it was the so-bad-its-hilarious story concept, the limited party & the balls-out difficulty of getting 100% in 1 playthrough that pushes it down people's list. I mean, you are literally singing to save the world!
#144 Jul 02 2013 at 6:10 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
carmelita wrote:
Zhailei wrote:
Wint wrote:
Back in the PS1 days my favorite part of a new FF was the opening cinematic, man I loved those. They look clunky and boring now, but back then that was amazing sh*t.

Those were always my favourite, too! That and figuring out the new levelling system (I still think X-2's garment grids were my favourite, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion).

Hmmm, I'd think you'd find (and I do agree) that most would say the dressphere/garment grid, as a concept, was not too shabby. I didn't like things like Ultima & Full-Cure being GG only, but the mechanics were sound, I would have liked a degree of cross-classing though (without the mascot DS), maybe setting a 2nd ability set onto your skills. In saying that, 2 x DK with Darkness & an Alchemist tossing Mega Potions was OP for all bar the later stages of the Via Infinito.

I think it was the so-bad-its-hilarious story concept, the limited party & the balls-out difficulty of getting 100% in 1 playthrough that pushes it down people's list. I mean, you are literally singing to save the world!


Absolutely agree. The Dress Sphere system was very fun. It's the rest of the game that sucked for me. The story was just flat out bad, the reused environments got old, the lack of any notable CG after the first hour of play (for a FF game) was frustrating... it felt like they were just trying to cash in on the success of FFX without really thinking of how to put a solid game together.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 8:11am by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#145 Jul 02 2013 at 9:01 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
Playing the upgraded release of FF1 for the Android.

Adding the dash feature to the overworld map makes the game 10x more fun. Not sure why. There is an old school game that is still loads of fun with just a little graphical polish. (And dash, did I mention dash?)

Just tap-tap-tapping the enemies to death.
#146 Jul 02 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,033 posts
BartelX wrote:
carmelita wrote:
Zhailei wrote:
Wint wrote:
Back in the PS1 days my favorite part of a new FF was the opening cinematic, man I loved those. They look clunky and boring now, but back then that was amazing sh*t.

Those were always my favourite, too! That and figuring out the new levelling system (I still think X-2's garment grids were my favourite, though I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion).

Hmmm, I'd think you'd find (and I do agree) that most would say the dressphere/garment grid, as a concept, was not too shabby. I didn't like things like Ultima & Full-Cure being GG only, but the mechanics were sound, I would have liked a degree of cross-classing though (without the mascot DS), maybe setting a 2nd ability set onto your skills. In saying that, 2 x DK with Darkness & an Alchemist tossing Mega Potions was OP for all bar the later stages of the Via Infinito.

I think it was the so-bad-its-hilarious story concept, the limited party & the balls-out difficulty of getting 100% in 1 playthrough that pushes it down people's list. I mean, you are literally singing to save the world!


Absolutely agree. The Dress Sphere system was very fun. It's the rest of the game that sucked for me. The story was just flat out bad, the reused environments got old, the lack of any notable CG after the first hour of play (for a FF game) was frustrating... it felt like they were just trying to cash in on the success of FFX without really thinking of how to put a solid game together.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 8:11am by BartelX


Yeah. I like to imagine X-2 just never happened.
#147 Jul 02 2013 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Hey now, saving through world through singing is totally legit if your game world mythology includes the world being created by music.

That being said, yeah, the way they did it was pretty cheesy. ^_^
#148 Jul 02 2013 at 10:33 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
Love it or hate it, the opening of X-2 is the best part of the game.



Saved the world. Held a rock concert. Smiley: lol
#149 Jul 02 2013 at 10:53 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Xoie wrote:
Love it or hate it


HATE it.
#150 Jul 02 2013 at 10:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
424 posts
Xoie wrote:
Love it or hate it, the opening of X-2 is the best part of the game.



Saved the world. Held a rock concert. Smiley: lol


Man, I'm so happy I didn't play that game! This is the only Final Fantasy so far that I drew the line at.

How I feel about FFX-2 --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czmb6tEwFE8
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#151 Jul 02 2013 at 11:57 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Never played X-2 but my GF did, and has hound me for years to play it with her, because she played xenogears with me Smiley: lol I have yet to play X-2 Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 93 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (92)