Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This thread is locked

Beta forum ban? :DFollow

#1 Jul 02 2013 at 5:15 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
78 posts
"You have been banned for the following reason:
Your posted message may be considered as a violation. We are currently examining it. Please try and log in at a later time. If it’s determined as a violation, your login to the forum will be suspended.

Date the ban will be lifted: 07-12-2013, 02:00 PM
"
I think I shouldve been worried about that but the reasoning behind it just made me lol. I argued a number of times about the stupidity of people who get upset about use of terms dps/toon or vice versa dd/character. As FFXIV will have also players from other MMOs people should adapt to changes. Its not like anyones life will crumble just because he/she heard someone say "toon".

I really love the game but people in this community have some serious issues with attitude towards new and/or players from other games.

Edited, Jul 3rd 2013 4:46pm by Wint Lock Thread: Way derailed.
#2 Jul 02 2013 at 5:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
I am sorry what exactly did you post that they thought it might be violation? Can you like do a sum cause I didn't understand the cause of the ban.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#3 Jul 02 2013 at 5:35 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
78 posts
"Why do FFXI(V) players hate on everything so much? Why so much grudge against some more popular games like WoW? Seriously, what does it matter what terms people use? Its not like you'll have to ask "umm what is DPS?". I will keep using toon AND dps terms just to troll on people who are childish enough to be actually annoyed by such a minor things. FFXI(V) community is the least welcoming for new players than any community ever I've seen. So much hostility towards new players its almost worse than in MOBA games... "

I guess that might be the cause. Still its not much of a reason even though I said I would "troll" (It's really not much of trolling if you use some terms over others). I'm just so annoyed by people's attitude towards trivial things like that. It just creates unnecessary bad atmosphere in the community. I know most of the people probably dont give a **** about which term someone uses (as long as its undestandable), but it's the people who have to be so narrow minded about other people's habits that makes me feel quite bad for the community that is brewing up here.

I'm trying to accept people no matter what terms they use or which game they are from. They make the FFXIV community and are part of it even if they arent from FFXI. It's stupid that there even has to be some kind of gap between FFXI players and everyone else. Not to say that EVERY FFXI player is like that, because they are not. And yeah I'm former FFXI player aswell.

Also I dont want to juggle between terminology just because some people don't want to understand what DPS/DD or toon/character is.
#4 Jul 02 2013 at 5:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Your post comes off a bit mean while trying to tell people to be nice. A few words in there could have been left out and a little less name calling. But enough to get banned.. don't think so I have seen a lot worse but some people love that report button if they get their feelings hurt .
#5 Jul 02 2013 at 5:58 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
First off, let me say you definitely shouldn't have been banned for saying that. You shouldn't even get a mute. It's just you expressing your opinion and frustration. Second, I could care less on the DPS/DD standpoint, but I definitely am not a fan of when people call their characters a "toon". I just don't like how it sounds. To me, it really trivializes all the work I've put into my character. However, I'm certainly not going berate someone for using it. I'll just cringe for a tenth of a second and move on. No big deal. Third,
Quote:

It just creates unnecessary bad atmosphere in the community. I know most of the people probably dont give a **** about which term someone uses (as long as its undestandable), but it's the people who have to be so narrow minded about other people's habits that makes me feel quite bad for the community that is brewing up here.


Don't feel bad for the community. The community as a whole has been absolutely amazing from what I've seen. Sure there are some jerks, elitists, trolls, etc, but the vast majority of players that I've seen have been friendly, willing to help others, and lots of fun. Heck, there was a 300+ lalafell train in Uldah on Ultros a couple weekends ago, and there were another 500 people around them dancing, emoting, and just having a blast. I think the community is doing just fine, and it's one of the things I most look forward to in this game. So I definitely wouldn't worry too much about the community.

Again, sorry you got temp banned though... seems kinda silly.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#6 Jul 02 2013 at 6:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
Aye, also ingame community is usually nice than on forums. And yeah I know I could've said that much nicer, but I don't feel like some people are saying it that nicely when they flame someone for using "dps" or "toon". Still, in my opinion not even close to a reason for a temp ban. Anyway I'm not even upset for the ban, just came as a surprise considering the severity of my "crime".

Also, I dont really like the word "toon" either and actually have been using char(acter) even in WoW. Still if someone uses that word its not worth damning them to oblivion for doing so. The hate for "toon" I can understand a bit, but when it comes to DPS vs DD is beyond me.
#7 Jul 02 2013 at 6:34 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Is it bad that I use toon all the time because I cant spell character half the time.. charactor...charectoer,charactur.. man so many options to mess that one up lol. Toon.. is easy heh.
#8 Jul 02 2013 at 7:07 AM Rating: Good
14 posts
You should not do this:
Mekiri wrote:
I will keep using toon AND dps terms just to troll on people who are childish enough to be actually annoyed by such a minor things.

Because:
Mekiri wrote:
It just creates unnecessary bad atmosphere in the community.


This said, you said nothing to be banned, i guess you just ****** off a fanboy mod.
#9 Jul 02 2013 at 7:21 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,214 posts
Falchetto wrote:
You should not do this:
Mekiri wrote:
I will keep using toon AND dps terms just to troll on people who are childish enough to be actually annoyed by such a minor things.

Because:
Mekiri wrote:
It just creates unnecessary bad atmosphere in the community.


This said, you said nothing to be banned, i guess you just ****** off a fanboy mod.

I hilighted the ban-able text. Yeah it seems silly, but when you specifically stay that you will troll, you have basically told SE (if someone reports the post) to ban you.
#10 Jul 02 2013 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I've been banned twice on the beta forums for passionately discussing the plethora of whiny topics. I just avoid the place now and only report bugs. Let them whine.
____________________________


#11 Jul 02 2013 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
Mekiri wrote:
Aye, also ingame community is usually nice than on forums.


You will usually get the more outspoken members of a community in the forums. I heard a person say years ago that the people who really enjoy a game are too busy enjoying it to spend time in forums. That's not saying that people in these forums don't enjoy it just as much--even the jaded members. It's just saying that this is a very small portion of a larger community. The FF community has always been pretty friendly compared to others.
#12 Jul 02 2013 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
People, people. Those who get banned never tell the full story.
Ask a convict in any prison of your liking. Most will tell you they are innocent, others made him do it, or that they had no choice.
#13 Jul 02 2013 at 9:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
silverhope wrote:
Is it bad that I use toon all the time because I cant spell character half the time.. charactor...charectoer,charactur.. man so many options to mess that one up lol. Toon.. is easy heh.


Char Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#14 Jul 02 2013 at 9:07 AM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
It should comfort you to know that some of the best people to party with dont post on the forums, and then there are people who do but not on the official forums.

What you're seeing is a typical MMO forum community. Notice I said Forum community. Sure there are asshats everywhere but I wouldnt consider the posters in the forums to represent the whole of the playerbase.
____________________________


#15 Jul 02 2013 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
Wint wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Is it bad that I use toon all the time because I cant spell character half the time.. charactor...charectoer,charactur.. man so many options to mess that one up lol. Toon.. is easy heh.


Char Smiley: thumbsup


Is it a 1-up, an extra life, or an extra man?
____________________________


#16 Jul 02 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
763 posts
I was unable to read your post, it had the terms DPS and toon in it....
____________________________
Mikhalia wrote:
I care that the "No Child Left Behind" act has failed you.
#17 Jul 02 2013 at 10:21 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
57 posts
That deserved a ban?

Really?

Color me surprised.

On an off-topic but slightly related note, why can't I post on the beta forums at all? Anyone know? (Perhaps it's just as good that I can't. Was going to pile on about the shallow combat system.)

EDIT: Another random question: are the forum mods for the English forums based here or Japan?

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 12:24pm by Yotis
#18 Jul 02 2013 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,079 posts
That seems really silly. Maybe it's automatic if too many people report the same post until a mod reviews it?
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#19 Jul 02 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,010 posts
Not bad enough to get banned but that post is pretty douchebaggy.
#20 Jul 02 2013 at 11:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
BrokenFox wrote:
Not bad enough to get banned but that post is pretty douchebaggy.

Yes, I do agree with that. It's just not always easy to hold your temper when reading constant flaming over a pointless things like the terminology. The post itself I posted could have been of a more friendlier tone, but still not reason enough for a ban tbh. It just makes me a bit upset seeing how some people treat newcomers (which I am not btw) on the beta forums even though its like that in almost any game anyway.

I guess I should take a break anyway from reading topics like that, but I guess I have a little ********* inside me wanting to read stuff which annoys me sometimes.

But to get back to the terminology topic. Please for gods sake people, let others use either of these terms you will probably undestand the meaning. Stop the pointless complaining about terms its not worth it as probably both of these "toon/dps" and "dd/character" will stay around and you will keep hearing them.
#21 Jul 02 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Excellent
**
259 posts
I agree with your general message. I find it silly that people get upset when someone uses "toon" or "DPS". They are common MMO terminology now, FFXIV is not special that players can't use that. It really is a silly reason to get upset over.

Then again, I find getting upset over silly names for characters just as dumb.
#22 Jul 02 2013 at 11:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
837 posts
Stilivan wrote:
That seems really silly. Maybe it's automatic if too many people report the same post until a mod reviews it?


You know that is not impossible. I have been in sites that have a filter and they will flag some posts and sometimes admins that check those will automatically close/ban the user because it happen to be flagged by the filter and they didn't bother reading what he was saying (it happen to me in the teamspeak forums and when I made another account and made a complain post the admin quickly apologized and offered me a personal assistance with the problem I had woohoo!). So it "could" be that but I don't think so myself.
____________________________
YaY signature!! (i was never good with signatures >_<)

Grim Reaperz (Ultros server)
#23 Jul 02 2013 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
******
48,476 posts
No. People that use the abbreviation DPS as a noun are fundamentally retarded and need to be reminded of such or beaten with iron pipes until their insides are on the outside. Damage per second is what you do. "Your DPS is 104.63" is the correct way to use the term. "Monk is a DPS" is idiotic. That translates to "Monk is a Damage Per Second." That is wrong. Monk is a job that does damage. It is a dealer of damage. It can do damage per second, but that doesn't make it a DPS. It's simple English. Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 1:56pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#24 Jul 02 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I guess color yourself lucky someone didn't track you down online and give your address to the police and get you arrested and make you face 8 years in prison for a "terrorist threat"...

Sorry, that news story is still bugging me greatly.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#25 Jul 02 2013 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
728 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
No. People that use the acronym DPS as a noun are fundamentally retarded and need to be reminded of such or beaten with iron pipes until their insides are on the outside. Damage per second is what you do. "Your DPS is 104.63" is the correct way to use the term. "Monk is a DPS" is idiotic. That translates to "Monk is a Damage Per Second." That is wrong. Monk is a job that does damage. It is a dealer of damage. It can do damage per second, but that doesn't make it a DPS. It's simple English. Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.


Well the terms tank and healer are used in the same manor to be honest. Yeah they are primarily nouns but we still use the terms to describe what the class does, especially tank. I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but there you have it. That being said the term toon makes me want to Wayne Brady someone.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#26 Jul 02 2013 at 11:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,010 posts
Mekiri wrote:
BrokenFox wrote:
Not bad enough to get banned but that post is pretty douchebaggy.

Yes, I do agree with that. It's just not always easy to hold your temper when reading constant flaming over a pointless things like the terminology. The post itself I posted could have been of a more friendlier tone, but still not reason enough for a ban tbh. It just makes me a bit upset seeing how some people treat newcomers (which I am not btw) on the beta forums even though its like that in almost any game anyway.

I guess I should take a break anyway from reading topics like that, but I guess I have a little ********* inside me wanting to read stuff which annoys me sometimes.

But to get back to the terminology topic. Please for gods sake people, let others use either of these terms you will probably undestand the meaning. Stop the pointless complaining about terms its not worth it as probably both of these "toon/dps" and "dd/character" will stay around and you will keep hearing them.


Actually, I misread your post so I take that back. I totally agree with you. People who complain about what labels people use are a**holes.
#27 Jul 02 2013 at 12:00 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
No. People that use the acronym DPS as a noun are fundamentally retarded and need to be reminded of such or beaten with iron pipes until their insides are on the outside. Damage per second is what you do. "Your DPS is 104.63" is the correct way to use the term. "Monk is a DPS" is idiotic. That translates to "Monk is a Damage Per Second." That is wrong. Monk is a job that does damage. It is a dealer of damage. It can do damage per second, but that doesn't make it a DPS. It's simple English. Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 1:48pm by lolgaxe

In modern mmo world term like DPS is widely used in many other games than WoW aswell. Yes I (and probably most others aswell) know that DPS stands for "damage per second" but people dont think it as "I'm a monk damage per second" but more like just "I'm a monk dps" (yes basicly the same thing but in practice its not). I dont know when the term DPS was first used and I don't even care tbh.

The fact is that somewhere the meanings mixed and nowadays DPS is a common word in many mmos for a character which role is to deal damage.

I really wonder if people who complain about the use of "dps" term have ever played any other mmos than FFXI or FFXIV. If they have I really wonder how they have been able to keep their sanity OR make any friends because most of the people use the term.

Use of a common term doesnt make anyone retarded.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 2:02pm by Mekiri
#28 Jul 02 2013 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
The way I see it.

DPS = someone whos job it is to do alot of dps compared to healer/tank but everyone can dps
DD is the same issue.. as a healer I can Deal damage a tank deals damage but what your looking for is someone who does more damage than tank /healer.

If someone shouts " LF1M DD (insert instance)" anyone could fit that role. now "LF1M DPS (insert instance)" anyone can fit that role. It is the definitions that we as gamers put on them that make everyone understand that they mean mnk/arc/thm and not healer or tank. So what really matters is that everyone knows what either dps/dd means using the words have no meaning really.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 2:12pm by silverhope
#29 Jul 02 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
******
48,476 posts
Mekiri wrote:
Use of a common term doesnt make anyone retarded.
"But mooooooom! Everyone else is doing it!"
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#30 Jul 02 2013 at 12:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
*
131 posts
Got banned for writing: HAHA you're poor! to someone who made #3151 thread about the P2P model and how they couldn't afford 13$/month :P though the ban only lasted for 24hrs x)
#31 Jul 02 2013 at 12:13 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,386 posts
DPS is a well-understood term meaning both the amount of damage done over 1 second, and the class or spec that does that as their primary role. Even if the expanded acronym doesn't really make sense in the second case, it's still a correct term because it's well understood. Effective communication doesn't have to be perfect, just effective.

Also:
lolgaxe wrote:
Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.


Absolutely.. because it should be AN mph. Obviously. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#32 Jul 02 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
Wild troll appeared!

Edit: lolgaxe that is. Made the post bit too late :)

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 2:16pm by Mekiri
#33 Jul 02 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,218 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
No. People that use the abbreviation DPS as a noun are fundamentally retarded and need to be reminded of such or beaten with iron pipes until their insides are on the outside. Damage per second is what you do. "Your DPS is 104.63" is the correct way to use the term. "Monk is a DPS" is idiotic. That translates to "Monk is a Damage Per Second." That is wrong. Monk is a job that does damage. It is a dealer of damage. It can do damage per second, but that doesn't make it a DPS. It's simple English. Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 1:56pm by lolgaxe


Do you even DPS, bro?
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#34 Jul 02 2013 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
DPS is a well-understood term meaning both the amount of damage done over 1 second, and the class or spec that does that as their primary role. Even if the expanded acronym doesn't really make sense in the second case, it's still a correct term because it's well understood. Effective communication doesn't have to be perfect, just effective.

Also:
lolgaxe wrote:
Similarly "You were driving 100 MPH" is correct, and if you say "My car is a MPH" anyone, and everyone, around you should just smack you. Hard. You deserve it.


Absolutely.. because it should be AN mph. Obviously. Smiley: oyvey


I prefer to think of my car as a "damage dealer."
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#35 Jul 02 2013 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
728 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Do you even DPS, bro?


DPS is for people that don't know how to fish!

That being said, one could assume with a name such as lolgaxe he has been performing DPS on mobs since at least 2004. Many a vorpal bunny has tasted the Sturmwind of the mighty lolgaxe.


Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 2:41pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#36 Jul 02 2013 at 1:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
It's just a mutated meaning, like how "rotation" was originally being used for a literal rotation of abilities (Ability A, Ability B, Ability A, Ability B), and then people who don't understand that meaning of "rotation" using it to mean "priority" (Prioritize keeping Ability A on cooldown at all times, then Abilty B, then Ability C, then...) and then people who don't understand EITHER of those to making it mean "maximum DPS" to where "What's your rotation" really means "What do you do to maximize DPS" to them instead. And anyone who understands the first meaning will tend to treat people who use it for the second meaning like morons, and anyone who understands the first OR second meaning will tend to treat the third group like morons.



Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 3:01pm by Ravashack
#37 Jul 02 2013 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Ravashack wrote:
It's just a mutated meaning, like how "rotation" was originally being used for a literal rotation of abilities (Ability A, Ability B, Ability A, Ability B), and then people who don't understand that meaning of "rotation" using it to mean "priority" (Prioritize keeping Ability A on cooldown at all times, then Abilty B, then Ability C, then...) and then people who don't understand EITHER of those to making it mean "maximum DPS" to where "What's your rotation" really means "What do you do to maximize DPS" to them instead. And anyone who understands the first meaning will tend to treat people who use it for the second meaning like morons, and anyone who understands the first OR second meaning will tend to treat the third group like morons.


Those who understand all 3 = Smiley: king
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#38 Jul 02 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
I'm actually in the process of reading the whole thread on the beta forums and based on the tone of the thread the post was not constructive but well within the tone of the 18 pages of junk I've read so far. You have people calling any terms that people used in WoW retarded and you have a counter that WoW just popularized certain common terms and that Final Fantasy XI players want everything to stay the same.

In terms of my own opinion it doesn't really matter. I use DPS generally but I can use DD if it seems thats the trend. I've played MMORPGs pretty much steady for the last 10 years and I play as many as I can get my hands on. I usually see DPS,Tank, Healer in LFG chat but I also recognize that Final Fantasy's community likes to have their own dynamic to distinguish itself.

Now back to reading this terrible beta forum thread.

Edited, Jul 2nd 2013 4:32pm by PyrielDD
____________________________
#39 Jul 02 2013 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
The main beta forums and official forums are full off oversensitive people, if you think it get's silly here sometimes, over there is Insane!
____________________________
MUTED
#40 Jul 02 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
Ostia wrote:
The main beta forums and official forums are full off oversensitive people, if you think it get's silly here sometimes, over there is Insane!


Agreed I find very few constructive debates on that forum, which is why I rarely go there. I think the main issue in general is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False-consensus_effect
____________________________
#41 Jul 02 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
silverhope wrote:
Is it bad that I use toon all the time because I cant spell character half the time.. charactor...charectoer,charactur.. man so many options to mess that one up lol. Toon.. is easy heh.


Yes. That's bad. If you force yourself to use the correct word, you'll surely learn how to spell it. (I doubt anyone cares if you say 'toon' though... just some advice)
#42 Jul 02 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Yes. That's bad. If you force yourself to use the correct word, you'll surely learn how to spell it. (I doubt anyone cares if you say 'toon' though... just some advice)


I care, I'm Wayne Brady!
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#43 Jul 02 2013 at 9:38 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
He announced the intention to troll. That's flame-baiting at the very least, which is probably against the forum's rules. I doubt his ban had anything to do with the other content of his post.
#44 Jul 02 2013 at 9:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah I have to admit, if someone said they were intentionally trolling I'd temp mute them too.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#45 Jul 03 2013 at 3:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
588 posts
I hold no animosity towards those who use the term 'toon'. I do however grind my teeth every time I hear it used. I prefer 'avatar' or 'character' or basically anything else. Somehow the term has always reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was possibly released before some on this forum were even born. Oh but it was horrible.
____________________________



#46 Jul 03 2013 at 3:31 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
kainsilv wrote:
I hold no animosity towards those who use the term 'toon'. I do however grind my teeth every time I hear it used. I prefer 'avatar' or 'character' or basically anything else. Somehow the term has always reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was possibly released before some on this forum were even born. Oh but it was horrible.

I remember the movie and the NES game.
#47 Jul 03 2013 at 4:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
kainsilv wrote:
I I hold no animosity towards those who use the term 'toon'. I do however grind my teeth every time I hear it used. I prefer 'avatar' or 'character' or basically anything else. Somehow the term has always reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was possibly released before some on this forum were even born. Oh but it was horrible.


Every time i hear the term avatar i think of this. But then again, I'll take any excuse to think about Felicia Day...
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#48 Jul 03 2013 at 6:19 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
kainsilv wrote:
I hold no animosity towards those who use the term 'toon'. I do however grind my teeth every time I hear it used. I prefer 'avatar' or 'character' or basically anything else. Somehow the term has always reminded me of Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was possibly released before some on this forum were even born. Oh but it was horrible.


Woah, woah, woah. Are you saying Who Framed Roger Rabbit was horrible? Them's fightin words.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#49 Jul 03 2013 at 6:37 AM Rating: Decent
*
129 posts
I've said some **** on the beta forums that makes that look polite... They're really odd about what they deem ban worthy.
____________________________
- The artist usually known as Angrynixon
#50 Jul 03 2013 at 7:20 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Let's tell a story about two people.

Two people that have all the same interests. Video games, yes, but specifically video games featuring Japanese art and story telling. They both like playing MMORPG's, and it just so happens they are both playing the some Beta and writing on the same Beta game forum.

These two people are alike in so many ways. They spend all day working and talking with regular people who are not at all interested in video games, and even less interested in the new MMORPG coming out of Japan. So they both sign into the Beta forum to share in discussions with like-minded peers.

Suddenly, one of the two people submits a post with the word "Toon".

Bam. End the world, flip the switch, grab your gun. Who is this person, this, this IMPOSTER that has joined our forum under the pretense of a FF fan? ***** that. Don't they even know the terms we use around here? I MUST TELL THE WORLD HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS!

An impassioned post ensues.

Followed by an equally offended reply, "YOU TALKING TO ME!? I will use the terms I want to use, you shallow minded imbecile!." Not content to just stop there, the post drones on, "Furthermore, now that I know it offends you I shall use it just to irritate you. TOON, TOON, TOONY-TOON-TOON! AND I will dedicate a whole thread to telling the forum my intentions!"

---

The reason you really got banned was that the mods have seen this played out before and it's just boring. (Ok, maybe slightly entertaining form a third party point of view.) Really they are hoping you will discuss the game, not other posters' terminology and how you feel about it.

Judging from gaming forums all over the internet, I doubt gamers will ever realize how very much they have in common, and how very little they are different.

Edited, Jul 3rd 2013 11:26am by Gnu
#51 Jul 03 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Mekiri wrote:
"You have been banned for the following reason:
Your posted message may be considered as a violation. We are currently examining it. .


"The family of Justin Carter, the 19-year old Texas gamer who made offensive Facebook comments that landed him in jail, is working with new urgency to get his $500,000 bail reduced because they say Carter's getting beat up while behind bars."

I would count my blessings, compared to what could have been, or what might be if you don't curb your 'offensive' language usage.

Honestly, I remember as a teen I couldn't keep my thoughts to myself and it got me in hot water. Then, I couldn't keep my responses on the internet to myself and got in trouble.

Now, I've kinda learned to think of the consequences of my actions. Unfortunately, in the heat of the moment, I just don't care, and I get in trouble.

For me, think before you speak, take caution before you hit that send button. Cause you have to play by THEIR rules. Sigh....


____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
« Previous 1 2
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 70 All times are in CDT
Karlina, Thayos, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (67)