Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Duty Finder commentary postedFollow

#1 Jul 04 2013 at 4:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
8,779 posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIBPqZ0rNQ8&feature=player_embedded

for those interested.

They suggest watching it as a little primer before the next testing period this weekend, but it's fairly self-explanatory. It also appears to be very robust, with in-progress party joining/searching possible, as well as downward level sync (can use high level classes with low level friends).
____________________________
Quote:
The thing about me is that apparently it's very hard to tell when I'm drunk. So I feel like I'm walking sideways on a UFO and everyone else sees me doing the robot like a pro.
- MojoVIII
i have bathed in the blood of many. my life was spent well.
feral druids do it on all fours.
The One True Prophet of Tonkism.

http://therewillbebrawl.com/
#2 Jul 04 2013 at 4:59 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
78 posts
Two similar threads but I guess I'll reply to this one.

Anyway, kinda surprised myself that you can use duty finder for guildhests aswell. For some reason i thought it would be only for dungeons. Will be much easier to get dungeon groups this way, but on the other hand I think it makes the world feel bit less alive as you dont have to actually form the party and travel to the dungeon yourself.

So yeah, its good we have this duty finder here but on the same time its not.
#3 Jul 04 2013 at 5:01 AM Rating: Decent
It lists guildleves as some of the content we can use it to find a group for. I'm hoping it also allows level synch for the guildleves.

I have a few lower level friends who just started last phase, and this should make our lives ways easier! After all there is nothing like partying with friends~
#4 Jul 04 2013 at 5:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
I found it kinda funny that in the video where they show the duty finder it has the role "DPS".

Looking forward how some people will react to that one on the beta forums :D.
#5 Jul 04 2013 at 5:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Mekiri wrote:
I found it kinda funny that in the video where they show the duty finder it has the role "DPS".

Looking forward how some people will react to that one on the beta forums :D.


oh man cant wait for that to happen /grabspopcorn :)
#6 Jul 04 2013 at 6:30 AM Rating: Good
*
230 posts
Man, this will make things way easier and better! Looking forward to it!
____________________________
[IMG]http://www.avatarsdb.com/avatars/anime_avatar_01.gif[/IMG]
#7 Jul 04 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
217 posts
From watching the video, I'm loving the Duty Finder. Anyone who played FFXI can remember the hours of waiting for a party, only to run all the way there, and have it disband. This new system will be fantastic. Thanks again, Yosi P. Smiley: clap
____________________________
Aeloriel Autumnleaf - Ultros Server

Karma Zameleons - LS
The Kraken Club - Zam Free Company

It's not the destination, it's the Journey!

#8 Jul 04 2013 at 8:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
322 posts
Looks great. Love how I can be out doing other things while using the duty finder. I just hope that people will run different dungeons than the same select few.
____________________________
Arucard (Retiered)
75 black mage 75 samurai 75 warrior 75 monk
75 Bard 69 Thief 75 White Mage
Formaly of Unicorn
-----------
FFXIV: Ashara Strangelove
Ultros Server
Whm 50, Blm 50, Smn/Sch 50, Drg 50, Pld 50, Brd 50
50 War, Bot 50, Mnr 50, Fsh 50

FC: Syn
#9 Jul 04 2013 at 9:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
Mekiri wrote:
Two similar threads but I guess I'll reply to this one.

Anyway, kinda surprised myself that you can use duty finder for guildhests aswell. For some reason i thought it would be only for dungeons. Will be much easier to get dungeon groups this way, but on the other hand I think it makes the world feel bit less alive as you dont have to actually form the party and travel to the dungeon yourself.

So yeah, its good we have this duty finder here but on the same time its not.


You aren't required to use it. If you don't like it, just don't use it. Personally, I think it's a fantastic idea, especially for times when I don't have a lot of time, and I just want to get a quick bit of group play in before I log out.
#10 Jul 04 2013 at 9:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
297 posts
does it have a lobby area or once you hit Commence you start the dungeon?
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros - Kraken Club - Karma Zameleons
Autumn Klmbkvist

FFXI - Fenrir (Retired)
Osmund
Diogenes

"Move with confidence."
"Anything worth doing is never easy."
#11 Jul 04 2013 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
488 posts
This is awesome, all I wanted for my CNJ.
#12 Jul 04 2013 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
*
153 posts
Mekiri wrote:
I found it kinda funny that in the video where they show the duty finder it has the role "DPS".

Looking forward how some people will react to that one on the beta forums :D.


DPS... fine.

Toon... oh please God no!!!!

The duty finder on the other hand looks amazing! I will miss some of the immersion the game provides by requiring you to travel about... but for mine and the busy lives of many others this will be awesome!

Edited, Jul 4th 2013 11:53am by ClydesShadow
#13 Jul 04 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Thanks for posting this. It's really getting me excited to play. It's one issue I always disliked about FF11... the shear amount of time it takes to form a party at times. The fact that it searches across all worlds is really nice.

The video may seem long, but it's worth it just to hear the developer say he'd fall asleep in a party and get booted Smiley: laugh
#14 Jul 04 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Mekiri wrote:
I found it kinda funny that in the video where they show the duty finder it has the role "DPS".
Looking forward how some people will react to that one on the beta forums :D.

Ha! And there I though I was the only one who noticed!
I LOVE Yoshi's sense of humor, hahaha!
He cares sh*t about the stupid oblivious self-entitlement of former FF players
(like me, btw), and simply takes what he considers best regardless of the source!

Jump, regional servers, duty finders, quest markers, autoattack, global cooldowns,
gearscores, forced level syncs, simplified crafting, in-city teleports and dungeon-entrance
teleports, fates instead of NMs, abolishment of claiming, quest leveling,... it's almost
impossible to recount all the instances where holier-than-thou oldschool "purists" cried
tears and blood and lamented about how the world would end if suchandsuch feature
was implemented, and how they would instantly quit the game and never come back.

And lo! They are still there.

Edited, Jul 4th 2013 12:00pm by Rinsui
#15 Jul 04 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
I wonder if you can get people from all servers, and not just your regional server farm. I'm glad my server will be at less than 2 hours drive from my home but I will miss the international aspect FFXI had, the fun of struggling with the auto-translator when partying late night with the Japanese players. If we can still meet people from all over the world at least in the duty finder I'll be happy.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#16 Jul 04 2013 at 10:50 AM Rating: Excellent
*
153 posts
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
I wonder if you can get people from all servers, and not just your regional server farm. I'm glad my server will be at less than 2 hours drive from my home but I will miss the international aspect FFXI had, the fun of struggling with the auto-translator when partying late night with the Japanese players. If we can still meet people from all over the world at least in the duty finder I'll be happy.


There is an option to select which languages you want to party with!

So if you really want to be paired with players of other languages you can still definitely do that!
#17 Jul 04 2013 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
ClydesShadow wrote:
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
I wonder if you can get people from all servers, and not just your regional server farm. I'm glad my server will be at less than 2 hours drive from my home but I will miss the international aspect FFXI had, the fun of struggling with the auto-translator when partying late night with the Japanese players. If we can still meet people from all over the world at least in the duty finder I'll be happy.


There is an option to select which languages you want to party with!

So if you really want to be paired with players of other languages you can still definitely do that!


Yeah I saw that, but since you can roll on any server, I don't think it necessarily means that the duty finder includes other server groups. I mean, I could play on a Japanese server if I wanted, there is no restriction in place.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#18 Jul 04 2013 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
488 posts
They should have a list that can filter out players you grouped with that you didn't have a good experience with. I had a couple groups where the DPS wouldn't wait for tank or the tank wasn't good enough to keep aggro on more then one mob. Being able to filter out those people even if just for a week would make the experience more enjoyable.
#19 Jul 04 2013 at 10:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
972 posts
Mopdaddy wrote:
They should have a list that can filter out players you grouped with that you didn't have a good experience with. I had a couple groups where the DPS wouldn't wait for tank or the tank wasn't good enough to keep aggro on more then one mob. Being able to filter out those people even if just for a week would make the experience more enjoyable.

I don't think it should. That's where guilds and friends fill that void. The game can't figure out why you don't like a particular player and someone in the rest of the group might have had a different better experience with that person. I don't see why three other strangers' experience has to wait longer for one's personal qualm.

I think they should have a cross world friends add feature in the duty finder.
1.Open up duty finder
2.Do the basic search for random
3.Or click on the friends tab.
4.A list pops up where you can invite any person regardless of what server they are on as long as their queued.

A cross server /tell feature would be cool too so your buddies can plan their day around it. Although rmt could possibly make that feature a living **** lol.

Edit:
I wanted to explain my reasoning for my view. A duty finder's purpose is to find parties fast. Therefore, anything that adds judgmental preference or takes away from the possible pool of players to participate is not good. It also encourages players to form small circles versus just interacting with the whole world. Now language filters and needed roles I understand because there will be some form of communication and structure needed.

Edited, Jul 5th 2013 12:58am by sandpark
#20 Jul 04 2013 at 11:38 PM Rating: Good
***
3,716 posts
sandpark wrote:
Mopdaddy wrote:
They should have a list that can filter out players you grouped with that you didn't have a good experience with. I had a couple groups where the DPS wouldn't wait for tank or the tank wasn't good enough to keep aggro on more then one mob. Being able to filter out those people even if just for a week would make the experience more enjoyable.

I don't think it should. That's where guilds and friends fill that void. The game can't figure out why you don't like a particular player and someone in the rest of the group might have had a different better experience with that person. I don't see why three other strangers' experience has to wait longer for one's personal qualm.

I think they should have a cross world friends add feature in the duty finder.
1.Open up duty finder
2.Do the basic search for random
3.Or click on the friends tab.
4.A list pops up where you can invite any person regardless of what server they are on as long as their queued.

A cross server /tell feature would be cool too so your buddies can plan their day around it. Although rmt could possibly make that feature a living **** lol.

Edit:
I wanted to explain my reasoning for my view. A duty finder's purpose is to find parties fast. Therefore, anything that adds judgmental preference or takes away from the possible pool of players to participate is not good. It also encourages players to form small circles versus just interacting with the whole world. Now language filters and needed roles I understand because there will be some form of communication and structure needed.

Edited, Jul 5th 2013 12:58am by sandpark


It's really not a bad thing to be able to exclude people you can't stand being around. It's simple enough to do this with an ignore list/blacklist to just have the duty finder not pair you with those people on your list. The game doesn't have to know WHY you want to exclude someone to do it.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#21 Jul 04 2013 at 11:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
135 posts
This is a quick way to form a party and helps us not waste a lot of time, but I'm just kinda worried that since we'll be teaming up with people from different servers we're going to end up getting a lot a-holes treating people like crap because they think they won't see them again. The creators for SWTOR made this observation and disabled this feature because of that. hmmm..
____________________________
Ultros:

Va'lah Dreadnought
ZAM's Ultros Linkshell Forum Karma Zameleons

This tank likes to nerd-aggro on the forums. Tomahawk--GO!
#22 Jul 05 2013 at 6:36 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
972 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
sandpark wrote:
Mopdaddy wrote:
They should have a list that can filter out players you grouped with that you didn't have a good experience with. I had a couple groups where the DPS wouldn't wait for tank or the tank wasn't good enough to keep aggro on more then one mob. Being able to filter out those people even if just for a week would make the experience more enjoyable.

I don't think it should. That's where guilds and friends fill that void. The game can't figure out why you don't like a particular player and someone in the rest of the group might have had a different better experience with that person. I don't see why three other strangers' experience has to wait longer for one's personal qualm.

I think they should have a cross world friends add feature in the duty finder.
1.Open up duty finder
2.Do the basic search for random
3.Or click on the friends tab.
4.A list pops up where you can invite any person regardless of what server they are on as long as their queued.

A cross server /tell feature would be cool too so your buddies can plan their day around it. Although rmt could possibly make that feature a living **** lol.

Edit:
I wanted to explain my reasoning for my view. A duty finder's purpose is to find parties fast. Therefore, anything that adds judgmental preference or takes away from the possible pool of players to participate is not good. It also encourages players to form small circles versus just interacting with the whole world. Now language filters and needed roles I understand because there will be some form of communication and structure needed.

Edited, Jul 5th 2013 12:58am by sandpark


It's really not a bad thing to be able to exclude people you can't stand being around. It's simple enough to do this with an ignore list/blacklist to just have the duty finder not pair you with those people on your list. The game doesn't have to know WHY you want to exclude someone to do it.


You can exclude people you can't stand being around. That's what solo, partying with friends and guilds is for. The game doesn't have to know WHY you want to exclude someone to do it. But that doesn't change that fact that three other strangers can't do content quickly because you don't like someone. I might not like a particular person when I'm riding the train. They may be complete a-hole to me, but nice to the three people sitting beside me. I have the option to either move on to the next train or compartment. I do not kick him off the train.

Again language and jobs needed is understandable. But this isn't the Warriors movie, and I don't see the need to complicate things.

People are going to be a-holes with or without duty finder and the need/greed system is going to bring those folks out of the wood works. Form a community of friends or join a great guild. Meet people.
#23 Jul 05 2013 at 6:47 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
488 posts
Then I should be able to do it with the Duty Finder.
#24 Jul 05 2013 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
598 posts
Mopdaddy wrote:
Then I should be able to do it with the Duty Finder.


As they said in the Developers' Blog... The dootie ... err... duty finder. It will still be worth it if you have the time to build a party but a duty finder will be faster. That said you ran the same risk building a party in XI.
____________________________
"The next time you have the urge to stab me in the back have the guts to do it to my face." - Malcolm Reynolds
#25 Jul 05 2013 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
kainsilv wrote:
Mopdaddy wrote:
Then I should be able to do it with the Duty Finder.


As they said in the Developers' Blog... The dootie ... err... duty finder. It will still be worth it if you have the time to build a party but a duty finder will be faster. That said you ran the same risk building a party in XI.

In Rift my guild would make up a party and just use the Dungeon Finder as a way to transport straight to the dungeon. So even if you have a party ready to go, it's still useful :)
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#26 Jul 05 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,716 posts
sandpark wrote:

You can exclude people you can't stand being around. That's what solo, partying with friends and guilds is for. The game doesn't have to know WHY you want to exclude someone to do it. But that doesn't change that fact that three other strangers can't do content quickly because you don't like someone. I might not like a particular person when I'm riding the train. They may be complete a-hole to me, but nice to the three people sitting beside me. I have the option to either move on to the next train or compartment. I do not kick him off the train.

Again language and jobs needed is understandable. But this isn't the Warriors movie, and I don't see the need to complicate things.

People are going to be a-holes with or without duty finder and the need/greed system is going to bring those folks out of the wood works. Form a community of friends or join a great guild. Meet people.


Do you depend on those people to make the train run to its destination? That argument is asinine and you know it.

Excluding people on party members' ignore lists won't significantly increase queue times for anyone. Not with level sync/cross realm player pools to draw from. As for mid-dungeon slot fills, what increases the queue times for that will be people not checking that box to allow themselves to be put into that kind of group.

Let me put it another way. Let's say you encounter someone who does nothing but afk and /follow through the dungeon... let's say that person is a healer. How badly do you want to be grouped with that guy again? Is your solution to that simply to never use the duty finder again and always form your own group? Of course not, that's silly. You'd want to just remove that guy from the pool of players you can be paired with and move on with your life. The more he does it, the more people exclude him, the worse his technique works until he essentially can't queue for content at all because he's ****** off too many people. The problem solves itself here.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
« Previous 1 2 3
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)