Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Why the zones again? Follow

#1 Jul 07 2013 at 4:31 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
Ok, first off, don't kill me... if you don't agree, please state why. I'd really like to hear from you folks how you feel about this. This is just my opionion, which doesn't mean much because quite often I'm full of ****.

I enjoyed the new areas compared to the last ones. I had a great time traveling through Eorzea! I've been thinking though.. SE claimed that in order to make the zones more interesting and "add landmarks", they needed to go back to the zone system they had in FFXI. I thought "ok cool, as long as the areas improve!". . but then I had a thought as I was traversing through the landscape of ARR; it's no more unique or filled with landmarks than other successful MMOs. Smiley: eek

I know a lot of you hate World of Warcraft! Some of you even hate Rift! And a small group of you probably hate anything that isn't FFXI! I get it, I really do. FFXI was my first MMO too and it was a beautiful game that gave me memories no game could ever match. However, the need to go back to zones really feels like a cop-out to me at this point. Azeroth is a huge open world with beautiful landscapes and many, many towns and landmarks. You always know where you are just by seeing familiar vistas or monuments. Yet there are no zones. Same with Rift, no zones.

I think I took that SE jargon and ate it right up because I was so desperate for this game to survive. It's too late to turn back, the switch was made. Eorzea will never have an open world, and I'll just have to accept that. The reasoning behind it however, I will not accept at this time in history. There was no reason they were forced to destroy the open world to add flavor to the game. It was a really bad decision in my opinion.

And even with all the zones, we're still constantly plagued with invisible walls and no ability to swim through a creek or wade into the ocean and go for a dive. I'm not sure why SE made these decisions. Time constraints perhaps? Most likely. I know any development team in it's right mind would not choose to deprive their game of features implemented in MMOs almost 10 years ago.

This isn't a hate thread. I'm not trying to be a negative nanny goat. I just think it needs to be said that although SE has improved this game quite a bit, they've still come to some very silly conclusions that will baffle quite a few potential players.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#2 Jul 07 2013 at 4:36 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
No idea as to why, but it works, i like the zones, remind me of XII, they are well designed, sure not all of them are unique and epic, but each one has it's own little thing going on, i have not explored the entire game yet, but for what i can see, it does feel a bit small, maybe they are withholding the majority of the zones until phase 4.
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Jul 07 2013 at 4:44 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
Ostia wrote:
No idea as to why, but it works, i like the zones, remind me of XII, they are well designed, sure not all of them are unique and epic, but each one has it's own little thing going on, i have not explored the entire game yet, but for what i can see, it does feel a bit small, maybe they are withholding the majority of the zones until phase 4.


I agree on the zones feeling unique and being well designed from an aesthetic standpoint, but I could also say that Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are both well designed too; and yet I can freely move between the two without zoning. I can also swim in their lakes and oceans and never, ever run in to an invisible wall. The same could be said of the transition from Ashenvale in to The Barrens.

I guess my point is, I don't see why it was necessary. I would take zones without batting an eye if the exploration of said zones was free and unrestricted, but it's not at all. I still feel claustrophobic and constantly reminded of how limited Eorzea is and unfortunately will most likely be in the foreseeable future.

*I'm not harking constantly on the battle system or boss mechanics because both of those issues can be addressed in a patch or two. The world design and the total absence of free exploration however will require a very big expansion if it is to ever change, and I have a bad feeling in my gut that it won't.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 6:47am by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#4 Jul 07 2013 at 4:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Rift and WoW aren't running on PS3s either, Transmigration. Not having to deal with console limitations is a big bonus for a zoneless world.

#5 Jul 07 2013 at 4:51 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Rift and WoW aren't running on PS3s either, Transmigration. Not having to deal with console limitations is a big bonus for a zoneless world.



Oh lord you're right. Well, that explains it. Looks as though PS2 limitations have turned in to PS3 limitations. That's a real bummer.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#6 Jul 07 2013 at 5:05 AM Rating: Good
***
1,079 posts
I'm pretty sure the point was made that there won't be PS3 limitations?

At any rate - During my time in the beta, I didn't mind the zoned areas. I didn't even know it was one big open world. However, the way it works now, works. They aren't trying to reinvent anything, and maybe doing it this way was just the best method in establishing a better game. (Maybe it had a large role in making low performance machines more compatible with the game.)
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#7 Jul 07 2013 at 5:08 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Stilivan wrote:
I'm pretty sure the point was made that there won't be PS3 limitations?

At any rate - During my time in the beta, I didn't mind the zoned areas. I didn't even know it was one big open world. However, the way it works now, works. They aren't trying to reinvent anything, and maybe doing it this way was just the best method in establishing a better game. (Maybe it had a large role in making low performance machines more compatible with the game.)


It seems that the general consensus is that it was for the greater good. As long as players enjoy it, I suppose it's alright.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#8 Jul 07 2013 at 5:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Lol I agree with Ostia.

The blue zone dots and the black transition screens are very reminiscent of ffxii.

Also loading times are short...

The only difference between WoW and ARR is that little transition piece between zones. Sure we won't be able to have flying mounts (which was pretty cool taking the griffon for the first time) and we can't swim but really its not that big of a deal to me.

I think if the trade off is varied locales and zones, or a large boring seemless world, we'd much rather have the more interesting world.

In the end I really don't feel constricted by the zones at all. And although I appreciated WoWs level design and even Rift's, FFXI was still very interesting with zones. I think its all in the presentation and how creative can you be without messing up the flow too much. I think in this case (ps3 limitations aside) Yoshi has done a commendable job.
#9 Jul 07 2013 at 6:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
155 posts
I'd like to know why the Mac always gets shafted by SE. Blizzard and a few other MMOs found a way to make a Mac version why can't SE and others. Apple has been gaining ground on the PCs at home. I personally know a few people who would pick the game up if there was a Mac version.

I know Bootcamp is an option, that's how I play, but not everyone wants Windows.
____________________________
"Wars come and go, but my soldiers are eternal..."

Guild/LS: Weekend Raiders
#10 Jul 07 2013 at 6:49 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I'm pretty sure the zones were broken up like that because it puts less strain on the graphics engine. Keep in mind, the graphics in XIV blow away those from WoW and Rift in terms of detail and texturing. Because of this, it is much harder on a graphics engine using an open world concept. That's a big part of the reason why 1.0 had such god awful lag when there were more than 5-10 players on screen. Yes, they are using a new graphics engine, but I still think a lot of the need for zone lines is just how intense the graphics are when compared to other mmos. At least that's the impression I got.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#11 Jul 07 2013 at 6:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Yea its a PS3 limitation. I dont mind the zones it makes the maps smaller and easier to navigate, as many have said the load times are really short.

The trade off right now is if they didnt add the zone markers than no ps3/ps4 players and less player to play with. I would rather have people playing the game than having a true open world and only be limited to PC versions.
#12 Jul 07 2013 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
The simple answer is probably because it's simpler. Simpler isn't necessarily bad, if it means developers have less debugging to worry about. I don't know anything about the technicalities behind this but I'm guessing that with no zoning, the game has to constantly load the textures of areas around where the players "might" be going. I remember in WoW when I had a computer that could barely run it, the game would freeze for a second every time I would turn around abruptly.

Simple may also mean more freedom for the artists designing the zones.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#13 Jul 07 2013 at 7:03 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
silverhope wrote:
PS3 limitation


What exactly makes it a PS3 limitation? Perhaps not the greatest example, but Skyrim doesn't have zones when outside, and the game still looks great on PS3 (yes I know it's buggy but it has nothing to do with zoning, it's always been a save issue).
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#14 Jul 07 2013 at 7:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts

PhoenixOmbre wrote:
silverhope wrote:
PS3 limitation


What exactly makes it a PS3 limitation? Perhaps not the greatest example, but Skyrim doesn't have zones when outside, and the game still looks great on PS3 (yes I know it's buggy but it has nothing to do with zoning, it's always been a save issue).


skyrim is a single player game toss thousands of people onto the server and im sure it would lag alot. Gotta remember this game was also made for lower specs pcs. Im talking 5+ years old and **** it looks good.

Phoenixombre really says it all.
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
The simple answer is probably because it's simpler. Simpler isn't necessarily bad, if it means developers have less debugging to worry about. I don't know anything about the technicalities behind this but I'm guessing that with no zoning, the game has to constantly load the textures of areas around where the players "might" be going. I remember in WoW when I had a computer that could barely run it, the game would freeze for a second every time I would turn around abruptly.

Simple may also mean more freedom for the artists designing the zones.
#15 Jul 07 2013 at 7:17 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
I'm not sure that the multiplayer is a big issue here. The PS3 version doesn't show other players very far, or many of them anyway. Remember the lalafell march? I was there, on PS3. It ran fine, no lag at all but I could only see a handful of them.

I think the servers are probably handling which other players the PS3 will load in memory, and it's probably a fixed limit. So the size of the zone, or lack of zones should have no impact.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#16 Jul 07 2013 at 7:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
I'm not sure that the multiplayer is a big issue here. The PS3 version doesn't show other players very far, or many of them anyway. Remember the lalafell march? I was there, on PS3. It ran fine, no lag at all but I could only see a handful of them.

I think the servers are probably handling which other players the PS3 will load in memory, and it's probably a fixed limit. So the size of the zone, or lack of zones should have no impact.


hrmm i had no idea it had that kind of limit. How is that gonna work in big raids? The answer to the zones could just be because they wanted them. heh. Guess we could always ask on the forums for live letter and such and get a real answer.
#17 Jul 07 2013 at 7:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
It'll probably fine in big raids, because there's a limited amount of people in a single instance. I didn't want to make it sound as if the ps3 was showing only a handful of other players at a time, it's just not good at knowing to prioritize lalafels when there's a hundred of them walking in line Smiley: lol

I see plenty of people around. I don't know what the limit is but it seems high enough to me.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 9:32am by PhoenixOmbre
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#18 Jul 07 2013 at 7:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I agree on the zones feeling unique and being well designed from an aesthetic standpoint, but I could also say that Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are both well designed too; and yet I can freely move between the two without zoning. I can also swim in their lakes and oceans and never, ever run in to an invisible wall. The same could be said of the transition from Ashenvale in to The Barrens.

I guess my point is, I don't see why it was necessary.

So. What texture resolution and mesh detail do Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord have in comparison to the Black Shroud?
#19 Jul 07 2013 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
91 posts
Not sure about Rift, but on the flip side, only a select few characters in WoW are allowed to quick travel at a world level, and no one gets a city level quick travel. I thought this was a great addition and made a good many of my other gripes disappear when I started adding up all the time watching quick flight animation in WoW.

(being a developer) I was thinking last night that this might have had something to do with, from a memory management standpoint, that sounds like a nightmare. So yah, I concur that it's probably a PS3 limitation, and this is just one reason why, I'm sure there's more that will surface as the game goes wide release. I think that the "no limitations fro the PS3" mantra is more about graphical, as in the top PC setting will blow away the PS3, but there are still concessions to be made. Who knows, maybe this is the beginning of a new era in mmo development where the engine gets a makeover a few times, PS3 usage drops off and they upgrade...
____________________________
The Singularity is near.


When you see an RMT advertisement, please file a report by using the in-game command [System Menu] -> [Support Desk] -> [Contact Us] -> [Report Cheating].
#20 Jul 07 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
970 posts
I don't mind zones or the short loading screens. Some of FFXI zones were pretty big. Some of ARR zones should be bale to get bigger. Except for the outside edges of the map. SE could design future zones larger and with less invisible walls. TERA is open/seamless for the most part and it's closer to the tech spec of ARR. I haven't fiddled around with all the settings. But even on my pc and TW turboboost, It gets pretty laggy when you get around a bunch of other players.
#21 Jul 07 2013 at 8:09 AM Rating: Decent
*
153 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I agree on the zones feeling unique and being well designed from an aesthetic standpoint, but I could also say that Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are both well designed too; and yet I can freely move between the two without zoning. I can also swim in their lakes and oceans and never, ever run in to an invisible wall. The same could be said of the transition from Ashenvale in to The Barrens.

I guess my point is, I don't see why it was necessary.

So. What texture resolution and mesh detail do Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord have in comparison to the Black Shroud?



Seeing as how you don't work at SE, and aren't making a game for multi-platforms, costing your company tens if not a hundred million dollars, it would certainly make sense why you don't get it.

They chose zones because that is what allows the game to run as smoothly as it does while also have such beautiful graphics.
#22 Jul 07 2013 at 8:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
My favorite part of XIV with regards to Zoning is no more lost text when you change areas. It's so nice that you can keep chatting with your LS while moving around, I always hated that in XI.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#23 Jul 07 2013 at 8:55 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
ClydesShadow wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I agree on the zones feeling unique and being well designed from an aesthetic standpoint, but I could also say that Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are both well designed too; and yet I can freely move between the two without zoning. I can also swim in their lakes and oceans and never, ever run in to an invisible wall. The same could be said of the transition from Ashenvale in to The Barrens.

I guess my point is, I don't see why it was necessary.

So. What texture resolution and mesh detail do Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord have in comparison to the Black Shroud?



Seeing as how you don't work at SE, and aren't making a game for multi-platforms, costing your company tens if not a hundred million dollars, it would certainly make sense why you don't get it.

They chose zones because that is what allows the game to run as smoothly as it does while also have such beautiful graphics.


Source ?
____________________________
MUTED
#24 Jul 07 2013 at 9:00 AM Rating: Excellent
I just looked on YouTube for videos of the two WoW zones mentioned by the OP... I think I found both of them, and they both look very similar, at least judging only from the youtube videos.

Months ago, I know Yoshi-P states that a big reason for zones was to make each area more unique, because zone lines remove the need to have landscape transitions. A good example of why this is problematic are the two WoW zones the OP discussed... sure, they are "different," but it's as if the developer was compelled to not make them be too different, or else walking from one directly into the next wouldn't have made sense.

I'd much rather have zone lines with the PS3 and PS4 crowds thrown in as added bonuses. :D
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#25 Jul 07 2013 at 9:06 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
Wint wrote:
My favorite part of XIV with regards to Zoning is no more lost text when you change areas. It's so nice that you can keep chatting with your LS while moving around, I always hated that in XI.


Yes! I hated that so much. I remember standing at the zone, waiting for a conversation to slow down so I can zone without losing part of it. So glad it's a thing of the past.

____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#26 Jul 07 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
37 posts
I'd prefer the gradual scenery change and larger areas tbh.

It always annoyed me I'd transition from La Theine lush greenery to Valkrum Dunes in one fell swoop in XI. ARR has been better in this regard, so far the connected areas feel like they make sense. But I'd prefer not having loading screens.

That said, we have the graphics engine we have now, so its unlikely to be modified to be able to swap textures and models on the fly like many modern open world games do now. I'm okay with it, I had just hoped we wouldn't be going back to zoned areas again in an MMO. Also, PS4 will have gobs of memory, so developers won't be quite as tied down once the PS3 generation games come to a close. It's possible this will be one of the last major MMO games to utilize zone mechanics for all but changing between the outer world and instances.
#27 Jul 07 2013 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
Quote:
Seeing as how you don't work at SE, and aren't making a game for multi-platforms, costing your company tens if not a hundred million dollars, it would certainly make sense why you don't get it


"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Tae Kwon Leap. Approach me that you might learn. . ."
"Tae Kwon Leap: Boot To The Head"


/to the topic at hand:


I can definitely see the possibility that it's a ram/computational issue with the PoS3, if for no other reason than to make it a "level playing field" for all platforms. I don't like it, but this is SE, and I played FFXI, so I wouldn't be remotely shocked.

As far as transitional boundaries are concerned, this sounds like a cop out to me. One is limited ONLY by one's imagination. Teleports, caves, tunnels, climbs, falls. . there are ways around this. I have my suspicions about how SE codes, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out that half the reason they do the things they do is because they're trying to find ways to use old code in new situations [To this DAY I swear that 1.0 was an emulated port of the XI engine, though I have no capability of proving it]

Don't get me wrong here: I'm not bothered by the inclusion of zones. In ARR they work, as they did in XI [and in less than half the time, which is a plus]

Ultimately though, we'll never know the real truth, because this is SE we're talking about. It lends an air of mystique to what they do, I'll admit, but I still feel they'd be a lot better off if they took a page from the west and just plainly and openly explained the requirements for some of their decisions without all the hyperbole. "artistic transitions" is *NOT* the reason, I'm sure.


Edit:
Because some smart alec will point it out, yes I am aware that teleports are a form of zoning. This fact did not escape me

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 11:54am by seneleron
____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#28 Jul 07 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
514 posts
I believe this was talked about and was related to the number of players per zone. That they introduced zones to reduce stress/latency in each zone. That being because if the zone sizes remained the same size as those in 1.0, it would add stress to the zones or something like that. It was pretty recent, but I'm having trouble remembering the title of the thread or where I saw it.

Myth #1 Small Zones

Letter from the Producer XXXIX(alpha phase)

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 12:15pm by Demonadrastos

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 12:34pm by Demonadrastos
____________________________
DemonAdrastos of Titan(Retired)
PLD83, THF79, NIN85, WAR45, RDM45, SMN31, DRK37, DRG25
Windurst 10, Promathia COMPLETE, Zilart COMPLETE, ToAU 20

Paladin ~ Deimos Adrastos of Behemoth
#29 Jul 07 2013 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
I agree on the zones feeling unique and being well designed from an aesthetic standpoint, but I could also say that Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord are both well designed too; and yet I can freely move between the two without zoning. I can also swim in their lakes and oceans and never, ever run in to an invisible wall. The same could be said of the transition from Ashenvale in to The Barrens.

I guess my point is, I don't see why it was necessary.

So. What texture resolution and mesh detail do Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord have in comparison to the Black Shroud?


In a time when the average PC gamer has at least an old Core i7 or a new Core i5 with an Nvidia GTX6xx series, I really don't see what that has to do with anything.

I don't dislike the zones. That wasn't really my point. The point was that with current technology, I don't think it was necessary to improve the areas. I also still don't understand why we can't swim in places like Costa Del Sol and constantly run in to invisible walls all over the place. Shouldn't the zone design allow for easier development of movement and exploration?

I know it's weird for some, but being able to freely traverse my game is important to me. Maybe even more so than how complex the last boss is.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 4:34pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#30Killua125, Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 2:41 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Without reading the thread:
#31 Jul 07 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
I don't mind zones.. If I say I was in E. shroud you know where I was talking about... Not having to zone would be cool though..

I play on the pc in the same room my girlfriend plays on the ps3.. The load times on the ps3 are triple what my pc does when we both zone.

She does not have the typical lag though, she is not slowed down or have slow down in fights but people can run by here before they appear or a chocobo runs by with no one on it..

The ps3 engine needs work in my opinion... The game looks pretty good for the most part but they blurred allot of it.

What is weird is the latency.. You don't know it unless you have two pc or two ps3 etc, in the same room... seriously lets say I jump.. It wont show up for a couple seconds on her screen... I always noticed this on FFXI when one person thought they were out in front and the other person did too.... But with their being NA servers now I thought it would be better but it is actually worse on this game.

I know there are millions of ps3 out there but with the ps4 just around the corner I am thinking they should have waited a little longer to release the game for the ps4 to come out... There is only a few months now.. Ps4 is essentially a pc and porting would not be too bad.
We pre-ordered a ps4 for this game already and might do a second one. I think we finally decided to drop

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 4:59pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#32 Jul 07 2013 at 2:57 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Having played the PS3 version, it does need work but it's close to being as good it's going to get.

It's amazing to me that they even managed to get the game working on the PS3. I don't think they should have done a PS3 version to begin with. The PS4 version will be on par with the PC version.

Everything is "blurred out" as you say - the game looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII graphically, which is a PS2 game of course. The UI has problems but apparently they're fixing it up in Phase 4, or at least making it so that you can resize it...

I would definitely not buy this game for the PS3 and then pay monthly. The best thing I can say about that version is that it's playable, but I guess it's targeted towards people with lower standards.
#33 Jul 07 2013 at 3:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Having played the PS3 version, it does need work but it's close to being as good it's going to get.

It's amazing to me that they even managed to get the game working on the PS3. I don't think they should have done a PS3 version to begin with. The PS4 version will be on par with the PC version.

Everything is "blurred out" as you say - the game looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII graphically, which is a PS2 game of course. The UI has problems but apparently they're fixing it up in Phase 4, or at least making it so that you can resize it...

I would definitely not buy this game for the PS3 and then pay monthly. The best thing I can say about that version is that it's playable, but I guess it's targeted towards people with lower standards.


Why would it be someone with "low standards" and not someone who can't afford to build a decent PC (or doesn't want to)? Man you are offensive sometimes.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#34 Jul 07 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Having played the PS3 version, it does need work but it's close to being as good it's going to get.

It's amazing to me that they even managed to get the game working on the PS3. I don't think they should have done a PS3 version to begin with. The PS4 version will be on par with the PC version.

Everything is "blurred out" as you say - the game looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII graphically, which is a PS2 game of course. The UI has problems but apparently they're fixing it up in Phase 4, or at least making it so that you can resize it...

I would definitely not buy this game for the PS3 and then pay monthly. The best thing I can say about that version is that it's playable, but I guess it's targeted towards people with lower standards.



I am not as harsh on it as you sound, even though I think at this point it should just be on the ps4.. Also if it would have came out on the ps3 when it should of it might have been different story. Plus really now they have to write the game for two different engines and it would have been cheaper in the long run to wait because the ps4 is basically a pc. Sad part is they were stuck because allot of ps3 player have been waiting for this game and not been happy.

The graphics are not terrible and the game is certainly playable. Honestly I think it looks better than I thought it would be on the ps3, It just has weird quirks. Also the interface and moving around in the menus is extremely flawed. My girlfriend gets extremely ****** when it like says level sync in a fate and she cant get to the **** thing because the **** cursor is in another menu and she has to hit back 3 times. The game is a little hard to navigate menus without a mouse and ffxi never was like that.

I do agree it probably is as good as it is going to get.

If you have a ps3 this game is worth every penny but I would not run out and get a ps3 just for the game, Main reason is the ps3 is what 269 new still and the ps4 is around the corner. Question is when does the game come out on the ps4? For me it is not about the system is about how much do you really want to play this game.






Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:23pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#35 Jul 07 2013 at 3:13 PM Rating: Default
*
62 posts
i really like their invisible walls. In WoW you can see a rock you can clearly jump on, but its walled off, wtf? In ffXIV the jumping is real. Now say we come to a cliff, of course i dont want to freakin jump off of it and die, wall that crap off. perfect. swimming? i dont really care, its only ever good for short cuts, which brings me to my final conclusion. I HATE GETTING LOST IN WOW. its ridiculous, i can be literally be next to a town, but can't enter because of a giant *** mountain in the way. wth. closed areas i enjoy more because A there is still plenty to explore, but there are no "correct" paths. WoW will litterally let you run for hours and you will end up in the middle of no where, having to scroll or walk back, or youre on your way to town, but opps, theres a mountain here, you should of went around the left not the right....
#36 Jul 07 2013 at 3:13 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Having played the PS3 version, it does need work but it's close to being as good it's going to get.

It's amazing to me that they even managed to get the game working on the PS3. I don't think they should have done a PS3 version to begin with. The PS4 version will be on par with the PC version.

Everything is "blurred out" as you say - the game looks a lot like Final Fantasy XII graphically, which is a PS2 game of course. The UI has problems but apparently they're fixing it up in Phase 4, or at least making it so that you can resize it...

I would definitely not buy this game for the PS3 and then pay monthly. The best thing I can say about that version is that it's playable, but I guess it's targeted towards people with lower standards


Wrong wrong wrong. It's targeted at people who own a PS3 and don't game on a computer.

Quit being antagonistic. It's dull.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#37 Jul 07 2013 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
Quote:
What is weird is the latency.. You don't know it unless you have two pc or two ps3 etc, in the same room... seriously lets say I jump.. It wont show up for a couple seconds on her screen... I always noticed this on FFXI when one person thought they were out in front and the other person did too.... But with their being NA servers now I thought it would be better but it is actually worse on this game.


I did the same tests with my wife in XI and XIV, and in our experience it was significantly better in XIV.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#38 Jul 07 2013 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
37 posts
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
Quote:
What is weird is the latency.. You don't know it unless you have two pc or two ps3 etc, in the same room... seriously lets say I jump.. It wont show up for a couple seconds on her screen... I always noticed this on FFXI when one person thought they were out in front and the other person did too.... But with their being NA servers now I thought it would be better but it is actually worse on this game.


I did the same tests with my wife in XI and XIV, and in our experience it was significantly better in XIV.


On the loading screens I've noticed differences between machines too. The PS3 and my computer seem to take several seconds. My fiancées (newer/better) computer loads new areas in just a couple of seconds. She just runs off to the markets, quests, etc. without me since I take too long.
#39 Jul 07 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
The best thing I can say about that version is that it's playable, but I guess it's targeted towards people with lower standards


It's also targeted toward people like me. I'll mostly play on the PC, but I also want the luxury of being able to lay on the couch while playing in the living room. I hate being a hermit in my man cave all the time.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#40Killua125, Posted: Jul 07 2013 at 4:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I love escaping my "cave" and sitting on the couch to play PS3 games too, but I'd probably play some console exclusives games rather than an inferior port of a game I was just playing on my PC.
#41 Jul 07 2013 at 5:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
164 posts
On my PC, zoning loads in about 2-3 seconds, but while playing on PS3, zoning into Gridania can take around 10, sometimes 15 seconds to load. And regarding the UI, it can be tricky at first. Figuring how to put your cursor on a certain button can be a pain at times lol. But I must say, the controller hotbar works great!
____________________________
Serge Luminaire of Mysidia
Member of Blades of Valor
~ A FFXI/FFXIV Linkshell Community
_________________________________________
Retired from FFXI - EliteSerge of Valefor
Mains: 75 WHM, 75 PLD, 72 NIN, 72 THF
#42 Jul 07 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
I prefer MMOs to single-player games by a mile. I absolutely can't wait to play FFXIV on the PS3, even if it is "inferior" graphically to the PC version. For being inferior, it still looks really good!

EDIT: The single-player games I've been playing most often lately are NCAA Football 2013 (ps3), Super Mario World (Wii U virtual console) and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 4:04pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#43 Jul 07 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
elenex wrote:
i really like their invisible walls. In WoW you can see a rock you can clearly jump on, but its walled off, wtf? In ffXIV the jumping is real. Now say we come to a cliff, of course i dont want to freakin jump off of it and die, wall that crap off. perfect. swimming? i dont really care, its only ever good for short cuts, which brings me to my final conclusion. I HATE GETTING LOST IN WOW. its ridiculous, i can be literally be next to a town, but can't enter because of a giant *** mountain in the way. wth. closed areas i enjoy more because A there is still plenty to explore, but there are no "correct" paths. WoW will litterally let you run for hours and you will end up in the middle of no where, having to scroll or walk back, or youre on your way to town, but opps, theres a mountain here, you should of went around the left not the right....


So you prefer a linear path to everything over a mountain with a grade to high to walk up? There is nothing in Warcraft that you can't swim through or jump over if physics permits. You can also jump off of a 300 foot cliff in to the water if you want. If you jump off of something high and there is no water, you die. I still want the option. I've jumped off huge things and used my engineering to craft a glider that allowed me to glide to places you can't usually get to on foot. To me, that is extremely fun. I've also swam across to places you can't get to on foot, which is also fun. You really feel like you're exploring the world, not being led to where ever the devs intend for you to be.

In terms of getting lost, I think that is a triumph by Blizzard. If you can get lost in Azeroth, they did a **** good job building it. Let's not forget mounts and flying mounts allow you to go where ever you want. I am not a proponent of flying mounts, but I'm not necessarily against them either. It is what it is and if you really think about it, if there are dragons and giant birds in the world, why wouldn't you be able to tame and ride them? I think that is what really separates Blizzard from other developers, they ask "Why not?", and then they do it.

I'm going to play ARR. I like the game a lot. I just can't lie to myself and say that the movement and world design could have been more open and designed better for a modern MMO.

As far as the PS3 version, I have one of those on the way too. It'll definitely be awesome for those days I just want to cruise somewhere and fish all afternoon.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 7:13pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#44 Jul 07 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Killua125 wrote:
I love escaping my "cave" and sitting on the couch to play PS3 games too, but I'd probably play some console exclusives games rather than an inferior port of a game I was just playing on my PC.


Its not really a port when they made the game knowing it was going on PS3..If having more players due to it being on ps3 than im all for it.
#45 Jul 07 2013 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
EliteSerge wrote:
On my PC, zoning loads in about 2-3 seconds, but while playing on PS3, zoning into Gridania can take around 10, sometimes 15 seconds to load. And regarding the UI, it can be tricky at first. Figuring how to put your cursor on a certain button can be a pain at times lol. But I must say, the controller hotbar works great!


I agree the controller hotbar does work good.. I am not sure yet if I like it more than FFXI but I played that game so long I am just used to it.. In the long run I may like this better.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 7:22pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#46 Jul 07 2013 at 6:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,079 posts
Nashred wrote:
EliteSerge wrote:
On my PC, zoning loads in about 2-3 seconds, but while playing on PS3, zoning into Gridania can take around 10, sometimes 15 seconds to load. And regarding the UI, it can be tricky at first. Figuring how to put your cursor on a certain button can be a pain at times lol. But I must say, the controller hotbar works great!


I agree the controller hotbar does work good.. I am not sure yet if I like it more than FFXI but I played that game so long I am just used to it.. In the long run I may like this better.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 7:22pm by Nashred



It destroys FFXI's setup on the PS2 by miles. They did not do much for the controller when it came to the game and using macros. Having to scroll left or right sucked. Sucked even worse when you would hit the wrong one...
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#47 Jul 07 2013 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
62 posts
i dont prefer a linear path, but just a clear and not always complicated, not to say WoW Is, but that is what i dislike. jumping off cliffs is cool, if its planned, unplanned it really sucks. I mean WoW is a great game overall i cant take that away from it (ive always hated "warcraft" graphics, as opposed to SC or Diablo maybe). I do understand your post and some what agree with what you said, give ya credit, i suppose im just not too open to an "completely" open world, if its done right, its great (like most things) but its ez to get wrong i feel.

also sitting on the couch away from mancave but not away from ffxiv will be so awesome. i think i will be doing most of my gathering on it maybe. not positive. may wait til ps4 comes out so it looks a little nicer. (my only dislike with wow basically is the graphics)
#48 Jul 08 2013 at 7:07 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
In terms of getting lost, I think that is a triumph by Blizzard. If you can get lost in Azeroth, they did a **** good job building it.


That's what makes you think they did a good job building it, the fact that you can get lost in the world? Personal preference I guess, but I'll pass on that after ffxi. You could get lost in every zone of FFXI, but that's definitely not the reason I liked the world so much. Yeah it was cool how expansive some of the zones were, but having stuff built into these labyrinthine passages and tunnels was very aggrivating at times (Yhuntunga/Yhoator/Ifrit's Cauldron/Temple of Uglypets/Maze of Shakrami/Uleguerand/etc/etc/etc/etc).

I'm all for not having linear paths everywhere, but I'd rather have most of the areas of zones have an actual purpose, rather than just being the game to confuse and disorient the player and turn every bit of travel into a timesink or memory game.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (80)