Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Japan Expo Yoshi InterviewFollow

#1 Jul 07 2013 at 11:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
138 posts
Didn't see this posted here yet, so I thought I should get things started Smiley: grin


Hello everynyan, it’s been a while!

Today again, on July 5th, I have met Naoki Yoshida and his team to ask him questions about Final Fantasy XIV – A Realm Reborn… and here is the interview, only 10 hours later!

(… and today again, the recording was unintelligible, my iPod messed up the recording and it took hours… I mean, decades of work to decypher everything)

If you have any use for this interview, please mention the source. It takes hours of work to prepare an interview and many more hours to release it!

Special thanks to the JeuxOnLine – Final Fantasy XIV staff who worked on the questions.

Comment is free! I didn’t bother with spellchecking and stuff, but feel free to correct me.

-Chuki

[EDIT]Silly me, it’s obviously not 2011 but 2013.

JeuxOnLine – Chuki (JOL): Players are afraid that towards the end of the game, they might look like each other. We know that we will be able to dye the equipment but it’s only about dyeing; gameplay-wise as well, players are afraid of playing their character like everyone else. What do you say to that?

Naoki Yoshida (NY): To answer your question, yes absolutely, there will be more variety so people can have their unique identity especially towards the end of the game, we will be making more different equipment, gear. Also we are planning to release a patch and there’s going to be the possibility of having your own design on your item so you can make your own equipment, especially the strong ones with your own design. You will definitely have your own identity but at the moment we are careful not to destroy the world itself from a design point of view, to make sure it’s fitting the world.

Chuki (JOL): I agree with the part of “fitting the world”, but then how do you explain the last update with Lightning entering the world of Final Fantasy XIV, she comes from the future, I mean, she comes from a futuristic universe and she just pops in, how do you explain that? And especially the Snow part, he’s wearing a coat and that doesn’t seem to fit Final Fantasy XIV.

NY: Because we made the announcement at the Japan Expo which is a very unique Japanese subculture (anime, manga, video game titles) event and having a presentation on stage, we thought that we shouldn’t go into the story details because lots of people in the audience may not have played Final Fantasy XIV before especially because A Realm Reborn hasn’t been released and before we can make it into the details, we have to make it a bit more catchy and so showing up Lightning in Final Fantasy XIV and the kind of equipment you can get from the content, that’s what we focus on; but we didn’t really go into details.

But don’t worry, personally for myself, I take it very seriously to make sure the world fits in very well. There is going to be a dedicated storyline, cutscene, that will explain why Lightning has come to this world and what’s going to happen to her, we’re going to make sure it’s fitting in Final Fantasy XIV, be assured.

KHIsland (KHI): (introduction because he was late) When the Arcanist comes out he will get two different jobs, will the other classes also have an additional job? Like Red Mage, Samurai or Gunner?

NY: At the time of the launch on August 27th, we will start with that amount of jobs, but from there onwards, we’ve already started to work on updates and started to talk about expansion packs. Just before leaving for the Japan Expo, I said to the dev team to work on the ideas and everything so adding new jobs is definitely part of the discussion. As we have mentioned, we received a lot of requests from a lot of players around the world like “where’s the Ninja/Samurai/Red Mage/Blue Mage?” so we are fully aware of their interests and requests. We will definitely listen to all the requests, but first of all I want to make sure that the battle content is something everyone can enjoy, it is very important. That’s something that is being thoroughly considered for the next version updates and expansion packs so please look forward to it.
I can’t really mention much of it, because this Chocobo (Yoshida was holding a Chocobo stuffed toy in his arms during the interview) is trying to stop me from talking.

Chuki (JOL): I just had something add, I think it was a year and a half ago, you mentioned something starting with “DARK” but you never said anything since then. Do you have any news on it? It’s been a year and a half already!

NY: Ahhhh! I can definitely say that’s something we’re considering and is being looked on to by the dev team. That being said there are some other things I need to do before introducing that “DARK” thing.

Chuki (JOL): There was a comparison with Guild Wars 2 because Guild Wars 2 is totally free and they have updates maybe… once every two to three weeks? And you were planning for Final Fantasy XIV to have two small updates every month and something like bigger updates every three months. The thing is that Guild Wars 2 is free, yet you make players pay for Final Fantasy XIV. How do you explain the price difference?

NY: There will be huge amounts of contents when we introduce the updates, especially when we’ll start A Realm Reborn, there will be a lot of endgame content. Yes, we are planning to make huge version updates every two and half to three months, and that content will be *a lot*: even before you can complete the content that has been introduced, the next patch will be coming up.

KHI: Besides the Crystal Tower, the Magitek Armor and the Gold Saucer, have you thought of introducing other content referring to previous Final Fantasy titles in the incoming updates or expansion packs?

NY: We will be introducing more territory referring to the Final Fantasy series, but we need to make sure Final Fantasy XIV has its own main storyline, we also need to fix them to make them fit into its world.

Before I left Japan, I did tell them to focus on Chocobo related content and Magitek Armor because just riding a Magitek Armor would be boring so we want to make something extra to that. Of course, you’d want to shoot beam too…

Chuki (JOL): About the Limit Break system, the thing is that players are a bit disappointed with it, some players are selfish and just press the button whenever it’s available and they’d rather have some individual Limit Break AND a group Limit Break they can use in very important situations, that would make things fairer for everyone.

NY: Actually I have no intention to introduce individual Limit Break because that’s no different from another Weapon Skill apart from flashier effects; I don’t think there’s a problem for people to press the Limit Break button up to Lv50. We specially designed it so you can just go ahead and press it, it doesn’t have to be necessary to use Limit Breaks. However, in the more difficult battles you will have to consider when to use them, which one to use, which level, which action, that’s going to come up when we introduce the endgame content. From Lv50 onwards, we’ll have to make sure you use them at the right time, but before Lv50 just try your own Limit Break and see what kind of effect it has.

Chuki (JOL): Then the next thing is that the Limit Breaks are designed to be used during endgame battles, there is going to be raids that won’t be possibly cleared without a particular job; for example we’d need that particular Limit Break for that particular boss battle, for instance we’d need a Paladin to do it, but there might be guilds… sorry, Free Companies that might not have Paladins. How are they going to do?

NY: That’s precisely the reason we decided not to give individual Limit Breaks to jobs, it’s more like each role has its Limit Break. It doesn’t matter whether a particular job is not here, as long as another job can fix that part of its job, they can move forward. We do understand there’s a lot of voices asking for individual Limit Break, but we wanted to make sure that kind of situation won’t happen; that’s something we’ve been carefully considering for a long time and we’ve been balancing on the long term.

KHI: Do you think you’re going to add new areas? Even though the current areas are wide, exploration might be a bit dull.

NY: That’s an interesting question. We may add new areas but it’s not going to be a huge amount of space compared to what we’re going to do at launch time. There’s the main storyline and the dungeons already but because this is the beta, there are areas that aren’t opened yet, but there’s definitely going to be much to explore.

I won’t say we’re not going to add areas, but it’s not like it’s going to be a 50% increase to the existing area, however in the expansion packs, we are definitely going to add new areas.

Exploring doesn’t mean only beautiful new areas. There must be things to do there; just having a new map and a new environment, making it pretty; it’s not good enough. It needs to have a scenario and be part of the game.

Chuki (JOL): Regarding this, quests are part of the exploration I believe, and players are a bit surprised with the “hey player, go talk to X, he needs Y, bring them back and I shall give you experience points and Gil”, the thing is that they are disappointed because they expected you would make use of the great world Eorzea has to offer, disappointed because of you use what we call the “fast-food quests” because it goes so fast, every time we just have to kill monsters, drop items then talk to one NPC. I understand that there is a main storyline and everything, but players believe that secondary quests are as much important as the storyline itself. How would you address that?

NY: To answer your question, yes, there will be more quests introduced that will use the game so please rest assured, but at the same time, one of the things we try to keep in mind are the beginners in MMOs, the first time they play we want them to feel “it’s actually not that difficult, even I can enjoy that”; there has to be a balance for that.

Hardcore gamers and players who have cleared 1.0 may feel like it’s too easy, but because it’s a beta for the moment and many players are new at it, we want to make them feel comfortable.

To give you an idea, the login rate hasn’t dropped at all, we need to keep this balance in mind.

KHI: The Arcanist is a debuff specialist, won’t it be difficult for that class to play alone?

NY: No problem, thanks to Carbuncle’s support. Of course it’s really important to make the right actions to make the most out of your class because when we designed this class, we kept Carbuncle in mind. If you try to fight without Carbuncle, it will be difficult and you might find yourself in trouble. Please think of the Arcanist and Carbuncle as one.

We know Carbuncle is cute but please make sure to focus on the battle!

Chuki (JOL): At the very beginning of the game, the starting class decides the city you will appear in. That creates problems because there’s a city with tanks, there’s a city with healers and there’s also a city with nothing at all. Will you allow the players to choose their starting city?

NY: Actually, no, we don’t have plans to allow players to choose the city they start in, that’s because up to level 15, it doesn’t really matter whether you lack tanks or healers, there’s no specific content that requires it. After level 15 maybe yes. I do realise that Limsa Lominsa has been lacking a healer because the Arcanist hasn’t been released yet, but that should be solved anyway.

What we don’t want to do is like 1.0 where players started in cities far from their guilds, that’s confusing for new players.

Seeing all these Marauders in Limsa Lominsa is actually quite fun, that gives a typical beta feeling to it.

KHI: We have come across a frozen lake, can we expect Shiva to be the next Primal?

NY: I’m sorry but you can definitely expect something later.

First it’s our priority to have Ifrit, Shiva, Ramuh, Bahamut, Odin, Titan and Leviathan because they are the original Final Fantasy summons… that’s an exclusivity for you!

Ramuh won’t be released yet but that’s something you’re going to find out through the storyline. As for Shiva, well, you can see a couple of areas surrounded by *snow*… so *snow* is your little hint.

Chuki (JOL): A more technical question about the Global Cooldown (GCD). Some players think that it’s way too long and it should be reduced to 1.5s to make the game faster rather than only press one button, wait 2.5s, press another button. Do you have any plans to address that problem?

NY: Actually at the moment we are fine with it, some players might feel it’s just too easy but we’d like them to consider the real beginners. With this kind of content, it can be easy, yes, but now it’s only beta 3, then up to level 50 it can become really tricky, especially the endgame content. I’m actually concerned that it might be too quick, it should be challenging for the players.

If some people think that 2.5s is too long, they might not be using their ability as much as they should, not in an efficient way. If you use your abilities properly you can bring damage to the battle, if you fight on your own it is alright to just do it, but if you are fighting with companies in multiplayers, if you are not doing it properly, the other players might think that you are doing something wrong. Make sure you use your abilities in a correct way to bring more damage.

KHI: Do you plan to add more endgame content for hardcore gamers at launch?

NY: Do you mean, for example, PvP?

KHI: Yes.

NY: For the launch, there will be a huge raid, and there will also be pre-required battle content in order to take that raid on, so hardcore gamers can see for themselves how challenging it can be. In v2.1 we are going to introduce the first PvP content, which is another world first announcement, and a new raid.

Also from 2.1 version, we are going to introduce daily quests towards the endgame, this is going to be related with the beast tribes and the Primals, and we will explain to the players why they’re doing this and how they are going to do this.

Chuki (JOL): Regarding the Gladiator’s gameplay this time, players think that for instance, Thaumaturges have to mind their MPs and the Pugilist has to bear his position in mind in order to do more damage, while the Gladiator just stands there and deals damage in front of the enemy and some think that it’s quite boring compared to the other classes. Do you have anything to say about that?

NY: *surprised* Ehhh?! Ehhh?!

I wonder up to what level these players think like this. *laugh*

About the tanking issue, on the first three dungeons, yes, we didn’t make it too tricky for them, but from there onwards, we really need to make sure you do a proper job to complete the area, that includes pulling the monster, dealing damage, maintaining the threat level and positioning as well.

All these things make it very tactical, if you think that standing here is enough, your party members will probably think that you’re not doing your job properly. *laugh*

It’s all about how far you want to go but personally I feel that this job requires a lot of the players’ skill.

If they still think Gladiator is too boring, I invite them to try Marauder as well.

Also, I played with the dev team in the Level 20 Ifrit battle and if a tank just stands in the middle of the battlefield, I don’t want to play with him. *laugh* I’d rather have him tank Ifrit so that he faces the other way so that the party doesn’t get breath attacks…

…but of course, you can still do it even if your tank is just standing in the middle of the field, but that just make things stressful for the rest of your party.

KHI: Are the Primals only available for the Summoner job?

NY: The “main” Primals, for instance the “real” Ifrit, are something that anyone can summon. I mean, the free roaming ones.

Chuki (JOL): We just have one last question, I’m sure you heard of Camelot Unchained as you told us that you were a huge player of Dark Age of Camelot, do you have anything to say about it?

NY: Yes I heard of it but there hasn’t been any detailed information about the game so I probably can’t make any comment at the moment. Yes, I am a fan of Camelot and I am myself a huge gamer but that doesn’t mean I’m going to follow a title just because of the name. If it’s a fun game, yes, I would definitely be interested in, but because I haven’t heard anything about it I can’t say anything about it either. Also, the original staff has scattered all around the world so I expect it to be something different, I wonder what’s going to happen; it might be interesting.

They also said something about an “experimental game”… turning a “game” into an “experiment”… I’m not quite sure what does that mean, a game has to be a game, not an experiment, so I am not sure what do they want.

It all comes down to the game design.

KHI: Do you have a last message for your fans?

NY: For 1.0 players, thank you for waiting and going through the alpha and beta with us, and also to those who want the PS3 version, who have waited for more than three years, finally on August 27th you will have your version. Naturally it is not the end, it is just the beginning, we’ll continue to keep it updated through a huge amount of content with updates. We look forward to your enjoyment.


http://rainyautumnskies.wordpress.com/2013/07/06/05-07-2011-interview-with-naoki-yoshida-at-the-japan-expo-paris/

A bit disappointed on the Limit Break question, but there should hopefully be some improvements to it in the future.
Also DARK, just screams Dark Knight to me Smiley: lol


me and The Lodestone, where posting comments and pictures on The Lodestone without interrupting the game would be possible.
Can you tell us a little more about it and the social networks sharing process?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
Thanks to the previous Lodestone, we analyzed the number of people who wrote blogs and their frequency of use. With the large number of existing social networks that require players to invest their time on them, connecting to The Lodestone to write a daily blog can be tedious for many players because it requires a lot of time.Usually you only write a blog when you have a lot of free time.

Our idea is to facilitate the communication between the game and the Lodestone for those who do not always have the time, for example, to load directly to the blog the screenshots you take in-game. We will continue to update these functions, of course. We are still debating on the final form of this system, but in the future, we would arrive at the possibility, for example, to send a tweet without leaving the game. Other things should be possible as well..

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
More than a month and a half before the release ... How do you and your team feel?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
The morale and motivation of the development team are very good. One of the major reasons is the large number of player feedback on phase 3 and, as you know, we were finally able to set up the PS3 version, This gavethe opportunity to play on both platforms (PC and PS3).
We received a large number of messages from people having fun playing the beta and more yesterday. We exceeded the the one and a half million registrations for the beta. We are pleased that so many people are interested in our game, and that many beta testers continue to play the full game because they enjoy it, knowing that everything will be erased at the end of the test phase. Usually, during the closed beta, players stop playing after a few days but this is clearly not the case in FFXIV! All of this makes us really happy and gives us alot of motivation.

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE) :
Can you tell us if The Lodestone will provide a API (applications to display information on a website or forum) or other tools to get information about our characters or our free company?
Community forums are very fond of these kinds of additions to their sites, something like a showcase that would be visible to all.

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
Yes, there will be a API on The Lodestone. There will also be applications for IOS / Android to look at your ingame status, of your friends, free companies pages, items for sale without connecting to the game, etc ...
Community members will be able to stay connected with each other even if they are not connected to FFXIV.

http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/images/jobs/scholar_artwork_ffxiv.jpg

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
The scholar appeared on the web several weeks before the official announcement. Did this unveiling go as intended?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
We had planned to just put online a set of images of the scholar without comment or other information to let the community think and discuss its meaning. Is it a class? A job? Who is it? etc ... After that I would have told during a live letter that it was the scholar and announced its availability for the release but the image of group of jobs was displayed on the web beforehand ... but this is another story *laughs*

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE) :
The scholar was a great surprise for the community. This is an unusual job in different games because it appears as if it does not always have the same special ability. While some expected a hybrid white mage / black mage with its own ability (as in FFXI), how did you come to turn it into a pet job specialized in buff / heal?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
Until last December, we were not sure what would be the next job to be added but, we knew we needed a second healer because one was clearly not enough.

We talked on the subject of the class system, about the Summoner, a pet class system and were looking for something attractive and not too strange to be using healing abilities. So we kept this idea and thought that the scholar might work this way. The idea quickly caught on and was accepted without too much trouble. That is how the scholar has acquired healing abilities and a pet. Of course, this job was already quite popular, which waswas another good reason to choose it.

Class balance was already very good, but the addition of this second job healer should still improve it.
To be honest, when you think of the Final Fantasy series, there are not many jobs in these games that are able to heal like a white mage can. Few jobs could play this role so it was a challenge to find something different as a healing class * laughs *

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
With the arrival of new dungeons and raid gear, will the crafts stay relevant to high-level players?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
Well, there will always be an interest in the craft level.* The following answer is under checking due to some audio problems, we apologize for the inconvenience. The article will be updated once the answer has been confirmed *

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)

Will you make the second jobs very different from their class or first job? For example, the Dark Knight is a very aggressive job and since you seem to want it to become the second Gladiator job (This has never been confirmed but since Yoshi-P always uses it as an example, you never know... ), don't you think Gladiator's abilities are in contradiction with his style?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):

I see what you mean. We created the system, but we do not necessarily need to follow it all the time. For example, let’s say that the Dark Knight is the second Gladiator job (attention, it is still not a confirmation), when you get its job stone at level 30, all acquired Gladiator skills will certainly be modified to better fit the image of the Dark Knight.

It was just to give an example to explain that we are not going to destroy how players consider different classes / jobs. It could be an interesting way to introduce future classes / jobs. We will consider your concerns on this issue, rest assured.
This should make things more interesting, don't you think?

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
What kind of tools can the community expect from the new Lodestone, something like an items database?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
To answer your question, yes, there will be an items database on the Lodestone. We are currently fixing it because we found that it was showing things that are not released yet and we need to ensure that it never happens.

We would also like to provide additional information: how to obtain these items from quests, prerequisites, information concerning the monsters to fight, etc... But above all, we must ensure that unwanted data is not displayed prior to its release.
Similarly, we expect that these features will also be available on the mobile applications.

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)
How do you see the future of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn with the arrival of DirectX 11 and the use of the new graphics engine of the game? Will you stop here in terms of graphics or will you continue to improve when it will be possible?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
Graphic quality will be greatly improved with DX11, but it will take more power to run the game with its maximum settings, this is something we must not to forget. For now, the adaptation of the PS4 version is our priority, DX11 compatibility will probably arrive a little later. However, note that the PS3, PS4, DX9 and DX11 updates will happen simultaneously.

http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/images/ffxiv_prod_letter/7th_live_letter/bonus_detail.jpg

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
The "Before Meteor" blu-ray will contain a promotional item. Can we expect other objects like this in the future?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
To be honest, we do not plan on releasing many of products with in-game items that you could buy. "Before Meteor" is particular because there is a lot of music and we had to climb a little higher the price compared to other similar products. So, we wanted to give a little extra, Also, since the release date coincided with the launch of the game, we wanted to celebrate with a special item in the goodies. We really wanted to make people happy with this item but it does not mean that we will add in-game items in all products to be marketed.

Le minion dalamud

We do not want players to buy all of our products just because of these dematerialized promotional items, but at the same time, we want to give something special to our fans to make them happy. Maybe we could make something special once or twicea year. We need to think of something exciting in order to obtain the in-game items.

Something we have in mind, for the moment, is the opportunity to earn in-game items if, for example, you play for a long time. So if you play a lot, you could possibly win something special to reward you for your loyalty.

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)
How will the user interface (UI) evolve? Will users have the ability to createmods, or interface elements, and to add them to their interfaces and share them with friends; how is that going to work and what will be the guidelines and protections against hacking?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
For the first 6 months after the release, we will focus on improving the interface based on players feedback. After these six months, we will provide the tools to allow players to create their own add-ons.

Honestly, we do not intend to adhere to strict guidelines for the creation of mods, we wish to leave the creative freedom to the players so that they can create and test new ideas. For example, it is perfectly possible to see the development of a specific UI for healers and one for the tanks that would better show who is getting hate, or improve the management of healing. Being too strict severely limits the imagination of designers and reduces the interest of mods.

On the question of security, there are of course concerns, there could be viruses or trojans on some add-ons, and this is something that users should be aware of and accountable for the risks in the use of mods. We also plan to work on a special website that will allow players to download add-ons that will be consistent without needing to check. But if, for example, a friend created a mod and there is a virus in it, we will not be able to help. There is therefore a risk that the player must take and remember.

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
Why did SE chose to implement two types of subscriptions, standard and basic?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
This is something quite special to FFXIV. When I saw the subscription model of the first version which costs 12.99€ for the first character and 3€ for the secondary character, I found the system quite confusing and I wondered why it was necessary to pay more to have more characters, it was something with which I was not very comfortable.

Personally, I would like to play multiple characters with a single subscription, so I wanted to introduce the standard model. At the same time, many players have played in FFXI and they used to have a minimum price for a single character, which is why we left the basic model.
Thus, there is a model for every audience, so if you want more characters, you will get the standard subscription, with which you can have up to 8 people per server at no extra cost, and if you only have one character, you will take the basic subscription and pay a little less.

• The Secrets of Eorzea (SOE)
During Phase 3, Legacy players noticed the loss of some stats and bonuses given. For example, on the artifact armors (offensive magic, boost to Dragoon's Jump ability, etc ...). Will they come back in the future? If not, why did you remove them?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY):
We are still trying to finalize everything so it is still difficult to answer yes or no and it depends on several parameters. At some time, some stats may return and others disappear because they are no longer required to ARR gameplay.

As I mentioned in a post on the official forum, the FFXIV ARR jobs artifact armor are scheduled to match FFXIV content, which means that what you had in V1 was not necessarily needed in ARR. Stats that have disappeared were deliberately removed because they were no longer needed for these jobs to pass the contents of ARR. This will make sense when you play the end game content. So for now, do not worry, your concerns should disappear at this point because everything has been redesigned for ARR, especially the end game content.

Currently, some hardcore gamers, especially Japanese, have done analysis on the latest jobs and find that Dragoon and Monk and are a bit too powerful. * laughs *

• Mondes Persistants (MP):
What do you think of the constantly growing amount of events content created by players in MMOs? Will you consider something like this for FFXIV?

• Naoki Yoshida (NY)
I enjoy practicing RolePlay, not only on PCs but in general, just like in Ultima Online where you can create your own cities and content so I understand how pleasant it is.

I'm really interested in the content generated by the players, however, this does not mean that this will happen soon in the future, I think we, the development team, must first bring a good FFXIV gaming experience to players. At this point, it might be interesting to see the development of content generated by players. In any case, I'm not against the idea.

Besides, if you're really interested in the creation of game content, do not hesitate to join the development team * laughs *

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Interview by Auxalie and Ookami.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This Thursday, a conference was held by Square Enix on various Final Fantasy, including A Realm Reborn.
Naoki Yoshida took the opportunity to do a show and presents his game with a master hand!

This conference was an opportunity for Yoshi-P to to shows us the contents of Final Fantas XII in A Realm Reborn

http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/images/ffxiv_media_tour/japan_expo/2013/LR2.jpg

In addition to the weapons and costumes, we learn that Lightning herself will be part of the adventure for a quest!

http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/images/ffxiv_media_tour/japan_expo/2013/LR5.jpg

http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/images/ffxiv_media_tour/japan_expo/2013/LR3.jpg

A new comparative video PS3/PC with new areas, was also presented.

We took the opportunity to film the conference for those who did not have the chance to travel to Japan Expo!
Enjoy!

Please note that english subtiltles will be provided soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIe0lGIhdJc&feature=player_embedded

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Video editing and recording made ​​by Bob.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Many thanks to Naoki Yoshida for allowing this interview with a smile despite the fatigue that was probably accumulated, to Saori Hill (Senior Community Manager in SE London) for his interpreting and his kindness, to Potichat (Community Manager in SE France) and Elmoria (community Manager of the Francophone community in SE London) for their role in obtaining and organizing this interview and for their good mood!

To the team of “The Secrets of Eorzea”, whether in France or abroad, thank you for the support while preparing the questions. A special mention for Auxalie, who moved both heaven and earth to be able to attend to this interview. And managed to get his autographed book V1 collector's version as well as get a picture with Yoshida san.

This interview should have been published much earlier but real life complications deemed it otherwise.. We have done our best to bring it to you as soon as possible!

We hope you liked this first interview and that it is the first in a long line of many interviews yet to come! But, in the meantime, visit our website for more information about Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn!


http://www.secrets-eorzea.com/en/news/news-of-the-day/220-interview-of-naoki-yoshida-by-secrets-of-eorzea

The thing that excited the most from this interview is the prospect of the having alternate skills for second jobs like Dark Knights (e.g. Be more offense orientated rather than defense) Smiley: grin

Edited, Jul 9th 2013 2:53am by Suijin
____________________________

#2 Jul 07 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
If Yoshi-P cared so much about the world, he wouldn't have even added Lightning. What a BS response. lol
#3 Jul 07 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Interesting read, I'm not sure what to make of it. I'm going to be shocked to see FFXIV have enough value to warrant the subscription price. Sure Legacy players are paying half or whatever, but the 1mil plus on Beta sure aren't getting that deal. I'm interested in Ninja and Red Mage the most right now. I don't think Dark means Dark Knight either.
#4 Jul 07 2013 at 1:00 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Quote:
But don’t worry, personally for myself, I take it very seriously to make sure the world fits in very well. There is going to be a dedicated storyline, cutscene, that will explain why Lightning has come to this world and what’s going to happen to her, we’re going to make sure it’s fitting in Final Fantasy XIV, be assured.


Lightning: Thank you for helping me off to star in my own FF game. Here take this gunblade (that probably won't shoot). Smiley: laugh

In all seriousness, I'm excited to get my hands on some of those weapons. The bow looks gorgeous. The moogle pet may prove popular as well.


Not entirely sure how I feel on the limit break discussion. That second meter fills up and I want to mash that button so bad. Might be neater it was a full on group attack where everyone's ability triggered simultaneously.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#5 Jul 07 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
I can't wait to see what they do with Shiva. She's probably my favorite summon across all Final Fantasies.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#6 Jul 07 2013 at 1:13 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
87 posts
You want to talk about the world? Well I'm sure your aware that most of people on Earth probably don't even know what Final Fantasy is or haven't played it. People who start playing Final Fantasy games, commonly start their first game depending on what is the most recent. Guess what? That's the XIII series! :D Soon XV will come out and perhaps new players will mostly choose that one first. Its hard to predict how the game will turnout but one thing is for sure, it is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that harbors the XIII series as well.
#7 Jul 07 2013 at 1:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
37 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Not entirely sure how I feel on the limit break discussion. That second meter fills up and I want to mash that button so bad. Might be neater it was a full on group attack where everyone's ability triggered simultaneously.


I still loved the WS abilities in XI, haven't seen anything quite like it in any other game. Yeah, you could just spam the skill yourself (which is what happened once the WS chains were nerfed) but the chains required party coordination and just felt cool to do. I'm not sure one person in the group pressing a button for a limit break will bring the same sense of awe, certainly it doesn't sound like a good group mechanic.

I also found this interesting:

[quote=Chuki][quote]Chuki (JOL): Regarding this, quests are part of the exploration I believe, and players are a bit surprised with the “hey player, go talk to X, he needs Y, bring them back and I shall give you experience points and Gil”, the thing is that they are disappointed because they expected you would make use of the great world Eorzea has to offer, disappointed because of you use what we call the “fast-food quests” because it goes so fast, every time we just have to kill monsters, drop items then talk to one NPC. I understand that there is a main storyline and everything, but players believe that secondary quests are as much important as the storyline itself. How would you address that?

NY: To answer your question, yes, there will be more quests introduced that will use the game so please rest assured, but at the same time, one of the things we try to keep in mind are the beginners in MMOs, the first time they play we want them to feel “it’s actually not that difficult, even I can enjoy that”; there has to be a balance for that.[\quote]

I think a lot of the early quests seem boilerplate. Would be really good for the game to have some writers do some better scripts for these quests and tie the quests to the town/outpost lore. I played mostly in Gridania, and I was constantly remembering how well some games (Fallout 3 & Skyrim come to mind) where quest givers tended to know each other in town and quests led you to know each areas inhabitants quite well. That kind of depth here would go a long way toward removing the "fast-food" feel in FFXIV. It also would help draw in new players without adding any difficulty.


Edited, Jul 7th 2013 3:23pm by SkyRaymaker
#8 Jul 07 2013 at 1:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Yes, I am a fan of Camelot and I am myself a huge gamer but that doesn’t mean I’m going to follow a title just because of the name.

Umm, does that mean he has no expectation that people will follow FF14 even though it has the FF title? Come on.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#9 Jul 07 2013 at 1:55 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
IvanStine207 wrote:
You want to talk about the world? Well I'm sure your aware that most of people on Earth probably don't even know what Final Fantasy is or haven't played it. People who start playing Final Fantasy games, commonly start their first game depending on what is the most recent. Guess what? That's the XIII series! :D Soon XV will come out and perhaps new players will mostly choose that one first. Its hard to predict how the game will turnout but one thing is for sure, it is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that harbors the XIII series as well.


Yeah Final Fantasy has not sold over a hundred million units world wide.... The only other franchise that can claim that is Super Mario.... Yeah nobody knows FF Smiley: lol
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Jul 07 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
121 posts
Great read, thanks for posting!

If you're going to bring Lightning and Snow in at least bring in some cool throwback characters of which there are so many to choose from that didn't lack personality. Come on! If it helps game sales then I suppose that's bittersweet. At least it isn't Disney characters... *ducks*

He sure glossed right over the fact that Summoner is not the same as Caller didn't he?

It's apparent they are doing what they feel will make the game the most successful, so we will win some and lose some, but we will play!
____________________________
[img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Erik_Highwind_Coeurl_Classes.jpg[/img]
#11 Jul 07 2013 at 3:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 Jul 07 2013 at 3:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Lol at the Gladiator question and Yoshis response.
#13 Jul 07 2013 at 3:09 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
For me it just cheapens the world and lore. It seems tacky as ****.

It almost makes it worse if they try and explain it away with some convoluted goddess universe jumping stuff. Because then they're molding Eorzea's lore to accommodate for Lightning.

It would be nice if Eorzea could develop as its own unique setting like every other Final Fantasy game.

Plus Lightning is a slippery slope, it will lead to cheesier/tackier things.

Some people on this forum complained (regarding the Cash Shop discussion, it might have even been you Wint - not sure btw) that everyone would be running around with Cloud and Lightning outfits. Now that such a thing is actually gonna happen (full parties of Lightning clones), what's the difference? Totally immersion breaking.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:15pm by Killua125
#14 Jul 07 2013 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope
#15 Jul 07 2013 at 3:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
87 posts
I'm sure Final Fantasy is relevant in Africa and many parts of Asia where millions of people live. The fact of the matter is, Final Fantasy is just a game.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:48pm by IvanStine207
#18 Jul 07 2013 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
87 posts
I don't think there should be a complaint about Lightning unless she takes over the whole story lol. Which is how likely? People just like to *****.
#19 Jul 07 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?
#20 Jul 07 2013 at 3:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?


thats fine I dont mind its a game and I think its kinda Kingdom hearts like where things mkae cameos. heck all our limit breaks are from other games . Would be kool if she was just a random npc sitting at a bar lol



Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:25pm by silverhope
#21 Jul 07 2013 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
87 posts
Yeah kind of like how in World of Warcraft there are NPCS that reference other people or characters.
#22 Jul 07 2013 at 3:31 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
silverhope wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?


thats fine I dont mind its a game and I think its kinda Kingdom hearts like where things mkae cameos. heck all our limit breaks are from other games . Would be kool if she was just a random npc sitting at a bar lol



Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:25pm by silverhope


That would be a perfect cameo for Zidane.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#23 Jul 07 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
*
62 posts
Killua125 wrote:
If Yoshi-P cared so much about the world, he wouldn't have even added Lightning. What a BS response. lol
you don't even know the subject matter so why are you judging fool? from 1.0 to 2.0 we got SENT INTO THE FUTURE!!!! did you even think of that? opps, lighting accidently gets sent to our time and hangs for a sec, whats the big deal? im sure the story (in your opinion, "excuse") will be good enough or better then expected. have faith and patience hater

Grandmomma wrote:
Yes, I am a fan of Camelot and I am myself a huge gamer but that doesn’t mean I’m going to follow a title just because of the name.

Umm, does that mean he has no expectation that people will follow FF14 even though it has the FF title? Come on.


no he doesn't expect that, hence this interview, and the last 10, and all the media, and commerical, and blog coverage, i could go on.

Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.

haters gonna hate. people fear what they dont know
#24 Jul 07 2013 at 3:34 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
I like that they're trying to do more to knit the whole series together. I've always thought of the following entries of the FF series as just alternate realities. Like each game could be subtitled: "or maybe this is the way it happened and these are the people it happened to..."
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#25 Jul 07 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
silverhope wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?


thats fine I dont mind its a game and I think its kinda Kingdom hearts like where things mkae cameos. heck all our limit breaks are from other games . Would be kool if she was just a random npc sitting at a bar lol


Well... I'm glad you're okay with it. It's kind of annoying for some people since Lightning is the main character from a totally different game in a totally different universe.

Kingdom Hearts is a crossover title and shouldn't really be compared IMO.

I guess I just miss the times when the Final Fantasy settings could stand on their own two feet, had their own unique stories/cultures and didn't need to cram fanservice down your throat.

I'm playing Final Fantasy IX and it has some tasteful references to earlier titles, but it's not over the top in any sense. The world has its own identity and feel to it.

I don't feel like Eorzea has its own identity at all. It already was a pretty generic setting but had potential for growth, but they're just cramming in Lightning and mecha-Behemoths and who knows what else, instead of building on THEIR OWN story.
#26 Jul 07 2013 at 3:35 PM Rating: Default
**
353 posts
Why no question about Bards? I still dont know if they are support or DPS
#27 Jul 07 2013 at 3:40 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
elenex wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
If Yoshi-P cared so much about the world, he wouldn't have even added Lightning. What a BS response. lol
you don't even know the subject matter so why are you judging fool? from 1.0 to 2.0 we got SENT INTO THE FUTURE!!!! did you even think of that? opps, lighting accidently gets sent to our time and hangs for a sec, whats the big deal?


Are you implying that Gran Pulse and Eorzea are the same settings in different times?
#28 Jul 07 2013 at 3:40 PM Rating: Excellent
*
153 posts
IvanStine207 wrote:
You want to talk about the world? Well I'm sure your aware that most of people on Earth probably don't even know what Final Fantasy is or haven't played it. People who start playing Final Fantasy games, commonly start their first game depending on what is the most recent. Guess what? That's the XIII series! :D Soon XV will come out and perhaps new players will mostly choose that one first. Its hard to predict how the game will turnout but one thing is for sure, it is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that harbors the XIII series as well.


Some people don't agree, but FF XIII and XII (both of which I enjoyed for their own reasons) are the reason why nearly all of SEs cult followers are in their late 20s+ (this doesn't include DQ players, but there are many more of those in Japan than there are in NA, EU.) They haven't released an undisputed top notch game in quite some time now... XIII sold about 1/2 of the previous editions, and even less than 1/2 in the U.S. As far as XIV goes, obviously sub-based MMOs will never penetrate the market like other types of offline games will, no matter how good XIV turns out to be (I'm pretty sure WoW is the only MMO ever to crack a top 10 list for any type of system.)

With that said, XV if it is as badass as it looks could definitely start to build up a similar following, like they had in the 90s.
#29 Jul 07 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?


thats fine I dont mind its a game and I think its kinda Kingdom hearts like where things mkae cameos. heck all our limit breaks are from other games . Would be kool if she was just a random npc sitting at a bar lol


Well... I'm glad you're okay with it. It's kind of annoying for some people since Lightning is the main character from a totally different game in a totally different universe.

Kingdom Hearts is a crossover title and shouldn't really be compared IMO.

I guess I just miss the times when the Final Fantasy settings could stand on their own two feet, had their own unique stories/cultures and didn't need to cram fanservice down your throat.

I'm playing Final Fantasy IX and it has some tasteful references to earlier titles, but it's not over the top in any sense. The world has its own identity and feel to it.

I don't feel like Eorzea has its own identity at all. It already was a pretty generic setting but had potential for growth, but they're just cramming in Lightning and mecha-Behemoths and who knows what else, instead of building on THEIR OWN story.


You can't see the forest for the trees I think.

The mixing and crossing and time travel and multiple in your face references IS this entry's unique story. As you said there are small references in FF IX. This time around they're pulling out the stops and stating plainly that not every FF title is its own unassailable island. Some of them, maybe all of them are connected in some way.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#30 Jul 07 2013 at 3:42 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
silverhope wrote:
I like the lightning outfit its just like getting santa and pumpkin outifts for the holiday..

We all cant be santa.. NOOOO my immersion is killed forever!!

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:18pm by silverhope


You do know she's also an in-game character right?


thats fine I dont mind its a game and I think its kinda Kingdom hearts like where things mkae cameos. heck all our limit breaks are from other games . Would be kool if she was just a random npc sitting at a bar lol


Well... I'm glad you're okay with it. It's kind of annoying for some people since Lightning is the main character from a totally different game in a totally different universe.

Kingdom Hearts is a crossover title and shouldn't really be compared IMO.

I guess I just miss the times when the Final Fantasy settings could stand on their own two feet, had their own unique stories/cultures and didn't need to cram fanservice down your throat.

I'm playing Final Fantasy IX and it has some tasteful references to earlier titles, but it's not over the top in any sense. The world has its own identity and feel to it.

I don't feel like Eorzea has its own identity at all. It already was a pretty generic setting but had potential for growth, but they're just cramming in Lightning and mecha-Behemoths and who knows what else, instead of building on THEIR OWN story.


I never even played the lighting FF so its brand new to me. FF do still stand on their own two feet, story culture etc. cram fanservice? yes please, give me those blitz and umaros and tifa's, granted its done right, which EVERYTHING in this game so far has been. Also now that im re-reading your complaint, im pretty sure you've read zero lore, or seen any trailers. 2cents
#31 Jul 07 2013 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
87 posts
From my understanding they are a range class with considerable buffs.
#32 Jul 07 2013 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
Killua125 wrote:
elenex wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
If Yoshi-P cared so much about the world, he wouldn't have even added Lightning. What a BS response. lol
you don't even know the subject matter so why are you judging fool? from 1.0 to 2.0 we got SENT INTO THE FUTURE!!!! did you even think of that? opps, lighting accidently gets sent to our time and hangs for a sec, whats the big deal?


Are you implying that Gran Pulse and Eorzea are the same settings in different times?


im implying you should just eat your popcorn and watch the movie. have you ever played a final fantasy game? ever hear of this thing they throw around once in awhile, they call it magic
#33 Jul 07 2013 at 3:48 PM Rating: Default
*
62 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
Why no question about Bards? I still dont know if they are support or DPS


you need me to google or youtube that for you?
FF XIV ARR BARD
that should get you going
#34 Jul 07 2013 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
LebargeX wrote:
\You can't see the forest for the trees I think.

The mixing and crossing and time travel and multiple in your face references IS this entry's unique story. As you said there are small references in FF IX. This time around they're pulling out the stops and stating plainly that not every FF title is its own unassailable island. Some of them, maybe all of them are connected in some way.


Yeah but the references in Final Fantasy IX are very subtle and tasteful. For example in the Lindblum weapon store there's a big sword on the wall and Zidane says, "A guy with spiky hair once wielded this" or something like that.

Much different than literally fighting alongside Lightning against sci-fi robots.

Game crossovers and fanservice are in no way unique, saying that's XIV's unique story is giving it way too much credit. But anyway, if they wanted to go in that direction (World of Warcraft MMO with tons of Final Fantasy cameos), they shouldn't have named it XIV but given it some kind of spinoff name like Final Fantasy Online, Final Fantasy Universe, etc.

I guess I just do miss when these games had their own identity and that's the bottom line. Some people might make the argument that you can just avoid these quests but Yoshi-P seems to make it clear that the lore will be involved somehow in Lightning's appearance. Plus the whole Lightning/Snow outfit and sci-fi weapons which will be everywhere.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:52pm by Killua125
#35 Jul 07 2013 at 3:52 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.
____________________________

#36 Jul 07 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
Imaboomer wrote:
Why no question about Bards? I still dont know if they are support or DPS


Archer/Bard are categorized as the support/healer type role.

Your limit break even heals party members.
#37 Jul 07 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.



I poked a little fun but I completely agree. I will agree with one of our more negative posters in that I wished Lightning was donning her Valhalla armor. But that's more because I think it's one of the more epic outfits a FF main character has worn in some time.

I'm sure the inclusion will be tasteful and hardly detrimental to the immersion of the game. We'll get our freebies. Watch the preview CS/trailer and in a couple weeks forget about it.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#38 Jul 07 2013 at 3:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,232 posts
Killua125 wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
\You can't see the forest for the trees I think.

The mixing and crossing and time travel and multiple in your face references IS this entry's unique story. As you said there are small references in FF IX. This time around they're pulling out the stops and stating plainly that not every FF title is its own unassailable island. Some of them, maybe all of them are connected in some way.


Yeah but the references in Final Fantasy IX are very subtle and tasteful. For example in the Lindblum weapon store there's a big sword on the wall and Zidane says, "A guy with spiky hair once wielded this" or something like that.

Much different than literally fighting alongside Lightning against sci-fi robots.

Game crossovers and fanservice are in no way unique, saying that's XIV's unique story is giving it way too much credit. But anyway, if they wanted to go in that direction (World of Warcraft MMO with tons of Final Fantasy cameos), they shouldn't have named it XIV but given it some kind of spinoff name like Final Fantasy Online, Final Fantasy Universe, etc.

I guess I just do miss when these games had their own identity and that's the bottom line. Some people might make the argument that you can just avoid these quests but Yoshi-P seems to make it clear that the lore will be involved somehow in Lightning's appearance. Plus the whole Lightning/Snow outfit and sci-fi weapons which will be everywhere.

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 5:52pm by Killua125


I'm sorry you feel that way. Maybe this is one you should skip?
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#39 Jul 07 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Teneleven wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.


Disregard for lore can really ruin people's fun, especially RPG fans.

Just because something is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. Selfish much?
#40 Jul 07 2013 at 4:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.


Disregard for lore can really ruin people's fun, especially RPG fans.

Just because something is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. Selfish much?


With the picture they posted I think it might go somthing like this..

Magitek beings have invaded this world and Lightning was sent to protect us from them. She traveled here to save us from there distruction but befor they go and get destroyed we steal some and reprogram them for ourselves. Once the danger is gone so is she back to save someone else.
#41 Jul 07 2013 at 4:19 PM Rating: Decent
*
62 posts
name me one game that you think has a similar storyline to FFXIV, im sure there is one but i can't think of one, can you? Do you even know what the story line is before we continue (a simple yes will do).

the spin off name is A Realm Reborn. "final fantasy" just means "blk mages, white mages, fighters, mogs and chocobos, summons, rpg" if it has that stuff, its a final fantasy, whats your beef man?

and fyi just because lighting and snow's ugly outfits are available doesn't mean there "going to be everywhere." how old are you?
ALL FINAL FANTASIES SHARE THE SAME IDENTITY. you think every FF before XIV was original? then why name every single ******* game FinalFantasy? you know square enix makes other games Not named Final Fantasy yes?
think about that for a moment before posting

you must hate Quentin Tarantino films (spelled right first try!)
#42 Jul 07 2013 at 4:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
62 posts
silverhope wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.


Disregard for lore can really ruin people's fun, especially RPG fans.

Just because something is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. Selfish much?


With the picture they posted I think it might go somthing like this..

Magitek beings have invaded this world and Lightning was sent to protect us from them. She traveled here to save us from there distruction but befor they go and get destroyed we steal some and reprogram them for ourselves. Once the danger is gone so is she back to save someone else.


imo: whatever empire ruled in lightings FF(im guessing there is one) came back in time because duh, they are evil. lighting is here to maybe try to prevent that, w/e
#43 Jul 07 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
I'm convinced FFXIV lives or dies by the number of non FFXI playing Final Fantasy fans it attracts. I can get behind adding a cameo and some gear from Lightning because it's clearly designed to bring these much needed fans through the front door.

Not everything about FFXIV is serious, as someone pointed out Santa outfits. There's also reindeer suits and bikinis, hardly the stuff of srs bsnss, either. It's a game. It's supposed to be fun. And we need more people for anyone to have that fun.

If adding Lightning brings in hundreds of thousands of rabid FFXIII lovers and we lose Killua, it's win-win! I want to make this happen.
#44 Jul 07 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
*
91 posts
I'm no fan of FFXIII, but Lightning's presence doesn't bother me. The FF series has always had cross-references to other games in the franchise: summons, weapons, character names. In FFT, Cloud even dropped in from another time as a playable character. FFT's world was rife with references to other FF games when discovering lands and relics on expeditions. I just see Lightning's arrival as the same type of thing. There's no shortage of references to other FF games in XIV. We've even got Magitek armour. Everyone seems to be on board with that.

The reason I'm liking FFXIV so much is probably because it does remind me so much of FFT: the job system, the world itself. It all has a very Ivalice feel to it for me, and the Ivalice games were, generally, my favorite FF games. FFXIV is something of a cross between Tactics and XII for me. FFIX was also a favorite. Honestly, I love the references. Lightning may seem out of place, but she's from another time. She's probably supposed to feel out of place.

That said, would I have preferred a different character cameo? Yes, but that's just my own bias. I don't like the FFXIII cast and would have definitely preferred Ramza or Zidane, heck, Basch. There are plenty of more old-school references in XIV for me, though. So the newer crowd can have Lightning, as far as I'm concerned.
#45 Jul 07 2013 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
**
353 posts
I think cute aesthetic outfits should be implemented later in the game's life but not early on. It ruins the atmosphere for a fresh new game.
#46 Jul 07 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
108 posts
I hope the heat isn't going to be something viable, but just another Santa suit.
#47 Jul 07 2013 at 5:29 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
elenex wrote:
name me one game that you think has a similar storyline to FFXIV, im sure there is one but i can't think of one, can you? Do you even know what the story line is before we continue (a simple yes will do).

the spin off name is A Realm Reborn. "final fantasy" just means "blk mages, white mages, fighters, mogs and chocobos, summons, rpg" if it has that stuff, its a final fantasy, whats your beef man?

and fyi just because lighting and snow's ugly outfits are available doesn't mean there "going to be everywhere." how old are you?
ALL FINAL FANTASIES SHARE THE SAME IDENTITY. you think every FF before XIV was original? then why name every single @#%^ing game FinalFantasy? you know square enix makes other games Not named Final Fantasy yes?
think about that for a moment before posting

you must hate Quentin Tarantino films (spelled right first try!)


Name you one ? Why only one ? XI, VI, XII. And yes i already know what the story line is, is not even that hard to figure Out.

See here is where you are going off the rails, Final Fantasy, has never meant "Black mages, Summoners, Chocobos" It has always meant, the best most innovative RPG title, at whatever time it was release, they have always been ahead of the pack, they have always been the ones that everybody emulated, not the other way around... Unlike Now.

Please do think again before you post, every final fantasy before XIV has been a stand alone title, the only exceptions have been X-2, CC and XIII-2, but every numbered entry into the series has been independent of the others, VII had nothing to do with VI and VIII had nothing to do with VII, so on and so forth, there has never been anything close to a link between them, other than the name Final Fantasy, story wise... Do tell me a game from which VII was based off ? Or VIII or IX, or X or XI or XII or VI or IV or V etc etc.... None! They have all had original story elements, they have all stand on their own legs as far as story Elements. Now the problem with lighting is that not only does it feel like SE is trying to shove her down our throats, but after her, why not squall ? vivi ? terra ? sabin ? shadow ? cloud ? sephiroth ? edea ? etc etc etc.... This game already has a horrible problem with originality, nothing in is original, besides de Echo... everything else has been ripped from different parts of the game, in order to make it feel "Final Fantasy" when no final fantasy before it needed to do that.
____________________________
MUTED
#48 Jul 07 2013 at 5:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.


Disregard for lore can really ruin people's fun, especially RPG fans.

Just because something is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. Selfish much?

Pot, meet kettle.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#49 Jul 07 2013 at 5:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
Ostia wrote:
IvanStine207 wrote:
You want to talk about the world? Well I'm sure your aware that most of people on Earth probably don't even know what Final Fantasy is or haven't played it. People who start playing Final Fantasy games, commonly start their first game depending on what is the most recent. Guess what? That's the XIII series! :D Soon XV will come out and perhaps new players will mostly choose that one first. Its hard to predict how the game will turnout but one thing is for sure, it is part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis series that harbors the XIII series as well.


Yeah Final Fantasy has not sold over a hundred million units world wide.... The only other franchise that can claim that is Super Mario.... Yeah nobody knows FF Smiley: lol


Most of these people don't even know what a PS4 or Xbox One is, so to say that Final Fantasy is not as globally known as we would like to think is not all that surprising.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/07/05/xbox-one-vs-playstation-4-what-does-the-public-say.aspx

The population of the world is around 7 billion. 100,000,000 when looking at 7,000,000,000 is still substantial, but that doesn't mean that the 6,900,000,000 people that didn't buy it even know what the **** it is.

A good example would be my work. I work with about 7 people every night, and only 1 of them knows what Final Fantasy is. The rest would look like deer in headlights if I were to bring it up.

It's all relative. Just because we have spent a majority of our lives playing video games, it doesn't mean everybody has. We all live in different worlds. Smiley: grin
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#50 Jul 07 2013 at 5:59 PM Rating: Default
*
62 posts
so XI and VI have similar storylines to FFXIV but XI and VI and iv and v etc are totally different from each other? you pass algebra?

FF has nothing to do with innovation in my personal opinion, innovation and originality is different. example: Wii in innovative, PS3 is not.

Why only introduce lighting and not vivi and sabin? i dont know, maybe because it will actually make sense?
2ndly you guys are crying like lighting is taking over this entire game, shes going to be in every single town and a part of all the quests and you get a;; your gathering skills from her!

also XIV's storyline is absolutly nothing similar VI. no time travel, no kefka, no espers (XIV ifrit is different then VI ifrit). Similarities? evil empire (i think ever FF has one) o and the black mages and chocobos etc.

And yes FF has always been about chocobos and black mages. Innovation? Dragon Quest 1986. Final Fantasy 1987. Yes there both square but you want to get into details so here we go.
#51 Jul 07 2013 at 5:59 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,416 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't get the big stink about Lightning being in the game, I think it's fun myself.


Some people seem to forget that games are supposed to be fun. And others would seemingly ***** and moan if they won the lottery.


Disregard for lore can really ruin people's fun, especially RPG fans.

Just because something is fun for you doesn't mean it's fun for everyone. Selfish much?


I never said it would be fun for me. I could care less to be honest. You don't even know how it will be implemented, yet you call it "Disregard for lore" from the start. Your opinions seem to be very important to you, as to the point that facts don't even sway them, and you call me selfish? Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jul 7th 2013 8:00pm by Teneleven
____________________________

« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 69 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (69)