I recently lost myself to a couple hours of beta vids (YOGSCAST, I think they were) and found myself interested in trying ARR in August/September, but I was hoping maybe a few of you could clear some things up that I haven't yet found the answers to in my forum trawling, though I've only started to research this within the last day or so. Most of these aren't heavy questions, and as such I don't think they get discussed in obvious threads much.
1. Can you hide headgear? Too often in MMO's headgear is ugly. Not a deal breaker for me, just curious.
2. What are travel times like? The day I quit FFXI was the day I had an hour to dink around and I spent the entirety of it moving from where I was to where I wanted to go.
3. Can you truly gather in high level areas with stealth? I'm intrigued by this--not that I expect to be 100% immune to mobs while I farm, but to be able to sneak around a little and avoid behemoths if I have my wits about me is nice. I'd hate to think I'd have to gather a full party to go get some fish or ore.
4. Can you level DoL/DoH without also leveling DoW/DoM? By that I mean, will you need gear from instances/questing to advance in say Culinarian?
5. Do you need to type in the name AND surname to send a /tell? I'm guessing yes, and that a friends list will cure any inconvenience, but I'm thinking about "on-the-fly" situations. I suppose a follow up would be, can you right-click on an avatar or name in the chat log to send a speedy tell?
6. Do linkshell/guild tags sit below your name or after it? For some reason I can't find a definitive SS of this. Just wondering--I remember a toon from my EQ days with the impressive and hallway-scraping name: Brahamamama Badmamajama <League of Nonaligned Wizards>...I might adjust my naming strategy if the latter is the case...(applies to #5 as well--rather not burden fellow players with a finger-twisting moniker)...
7. Are nodes "claimed" or do you have to furiously chop your tree before the other three moochers get the mats out of the node? This was a huge frustration in FFXI, and to a certain extent WoW as well. Again, not a deal breaker, but definitely reduces the fun factor when play time is tight.
8. Is your inventory capacity fixed or expandable? I would think there must be some way to increase your capacity over time as with most other games, but I haven't seen any evidence of this yet. Thinking about lazy days fishing and not having to run back and forth every so often to unload my haul...at least not as often.
9. Is camping in Final Fantasy truly a thing of the past? After the deep scars of camping in EQ and then FFXI, I was spoiled by years of always-on-the-go WoW...not sure I could go back to sitting in Crawler's Nest for hours again...
Edited, Jul 10th 2013 4:26pm by Lysus
Edited, Jul 10th 2013 5:09pm by Lysus