Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

ARRstatus Android AppFollow

#1 Jul 17 2013 at 10:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
Greetings all!

I wanted to pop in and announce the ARRstatus app for android that I've recently published. My goal was to expand on a couple of things that my website couldn't do on its own, and make something folks would find useful. :)

The app enables folks to keep close tabs on the status of the FFXIV servers by including the following:
  • A refresh'able list of all the FFXIV servers and their statuses.
  • A Ping utility that allows users to see the latency between their network and FFXIV servers.
  • Individual homescreen widgets for each server that allows users to get the current status upon tapping.
  • A push notification system that allows folks to be notified any time their chosen server changes status.

You can check out the app for yourself here: ARRstatus App

And please feel free to message me or post any questions or comments about the app below.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#2 Jul 17 2013 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
39 posts
I love you!

Uhhh.. yeah.

Seriously, bang-up job!

Edit: is there a way to add Eorzian day, month, time, and moon phase?

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:52am by NeptuneMagnus
#3 Jul 17 2013 at 11:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
Haha thanks for the love! :3

Of course there is always a way, the better question is how long will it take and can I find the time hehe. I'll make a note of this and see what it would take me to pull it off when I look to add more features. :D
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#4 Jul 18 2013 at 5:05 AM Rating: Decent
*
125 posts
NeptuneMagnus wrote:
I love you!

Uhhh.. yeah.

Seriously, bang-up job!

Edit: is there a way to add Eorzian day, month, time, and moon phase?

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:52am by NeptuneMagnus


Wait a minute... Eorzian day, and month? Will they be having the days of the week and such in the game?
#5 Jul 18 2013 at 5:57 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
254 posts
raynault wrote:
And please feel free to message me or post any questions or comments about the app below.

Will you be doing an iOS version?
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#6 Jul 18 2013 at 6:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nicely done!
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#7 Jul 18 2013 at 6:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
raynault wrote:
And please feel free to message me or post any questions or comments about the app below.

Will you be doing an iOS version?


Yeah this looks awesome, but I switched to iPhone myself about 6 months ago and probably will never go back... if there's an iOS version please let us know. I might be able to download it on my Kindle Fire when I get home for use while playing though...

Great job by the way!
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#8 Jul 18 2013 at 7:03 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
Would love a free version even if you need to put adds. :) but great job looking good.
#9 Jul 18 2013 at 7:20 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,733 posts
$2 for this is outrageous.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#10 Jul 18 2013 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.


At $2 per download he's not going to get rich... I doubt he'll even get the money back he invested. If you don't want to use the app then just don't download it... you could always just go to the website Wint posted for server status.

We shouldn't bash the guy for trying to recoup the cost of producing the app.

____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#11 Jul 18 2013 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Relevant:

Screenshot


Screenshot


Screenshot


Screenshot


Screenshot
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#12 Jul 18 2013 at 7:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
raynault wrote:
And please feel free to message me or post any questions or comments about the app below.

Will you be doing an iOS version?

I don't have any plans to start working on an iOS version right now. But it's an option for sometime after launch. Mostly a time issue for me. :x


lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.

Eek sorry you feel that way, but just to clear up where the charge comes from, here's why.
The reason for the charge right away is because my notification system is up and running now. My system requires me to leave a pc of mine running 24/7 and checking the statuses every minute or so. That pc is also running a database to keep track of folks who enable and disable their notifications. All this translates to equipment, electricity, and bandwith use to support the app right from the get go. So that, coupled with the time I've put into building it (4 long weeks >.o), is the reason for the charge.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#13 Jul 18 2013 at 8:22 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
Hairspray wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.

At $2 per download he's not going to get rich... I doubt he'll even get the money back he invested. If you don't want to use the app then just don't download it... you could always just go to the website Wint posted for server status.

We shouldn't bash the guy for trying to recoup the cost of producing the app.

I don't think it's necessarily bashing. I don't think the benefits that this app provides me is worth $2. After all, do I really need to know the status of the servers from a mobile device? The only time I really care about the status of the server is when I'm at home to play the game. And if I have access to my PC or laptop to play the game, I don't really need to pull up a mobile app to find out if the servers are up or not.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#14 Jul 18 2013 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
I don't have a current need for an app to track server status ("Down" is my current guess) but if that need develops at some point, $2 seems well worth it. 2 bucks is... 3 minutes of my time? Even with tax, less than 5 minutes. I waste more than that arguing with one post from Ostia, and that doesn't even help me.

Lolgaxe just hates kittens and rainbows. And unicorns.

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 10:26am by KarlHungis
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#15 Jul 18 2013 at 8:29 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
svlyons wrote:
Hairspray wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.

At $2 per download he's not going to get rich... I doubt he'll even get the money back he invested. If you don't want to use the app then just don't download it... you could always just go to the website Wint posted for server status.

We shouldn't bash the guy for trying to recoup the cost of producing the app.

I don't think it's necessarily bashing. I don't think the benefits that this app provides me is worth $2. After all, do I really need to know the status of the servers from a mobile device?


I don't need a mango, at any price. That doesn't mean the price of a mango is outrageous though. It's a niche product which most people don't need or want, but if they do need or want, 2 bucks is pretty cheap.
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#16 Jul 18 2013 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
I can see myself using this.
Wake up roll over check phone for server status.. its down.. ok well back to sleep.. its up ok time to get up and lvl. heh Would be awesome downt he road if it could link to the levequest timers.
#17 Jul 18 2013 at 8:54 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,733 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
It's a niche product which most people don't need or want, but if they do need or want, 2 bucks is pretty cheap.
Sure, if you ignore all facts and details $2 is pretty cheap. I, however, am incapable of living in make-believe land like that, so here are the facts. One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range. Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones. Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap." To bring it to terms that you might understand, it'd be like planting a mango tree in your backyard, and your neighbor charging you $10 per fruit.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Jul 18 2013 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
It's a niche product which most people don't need or want, but if they do need or want, 2 bucks is pretty cheap.
Sure, if you ignore all facts and details $2 is pretty cheap. I, however, am incapable of living in make-believe land like that, so here are the facts. One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range. Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones. Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap." To bring it to terms that you might understand, it'd be like planting a mango tree in your backyard, and your neighbor charging you $10 per fruit.



Do we really need to be so negative? If you dont wanna spend the money thats fine you get your opinion. There are ways to get your point out there without being mean. This guy is making something for people. If they want it or want to support him so he can make it better than so be it.
#19 Jul 18 2013 at 9:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Hairspray wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.


At $2 per download he's not going to get rich... I doubt he'll even get the money back he invested. If you don't want to use the app then just don't download it... you could always just go to the website Wint posted for server status.

We shouldn't bash the guy for trying to recoup the cost of producing the app.



For the record, this guy wrote that website too. Not sure if you knew that or not.

I don't think he should be vilified for charging for it, you don't have to buy it and he's providing a free alternative. As a programmer myself I'm always willing to support other developers who's creations I find handy. Development takes time (and sometimes investment, it's $100 to publish software on the Apple App Store not to mention the cost of a Mac to develop on) and for some reason people think it should be free. At the moment I probably won't buy this, but down the road I might if I find a need for it.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#20 Jul 18 2013 at 9:15 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
It's a niche product which most people don't need or want, but if they do need or want, 2 bucks is pretty cheap.
Sure, if you ignore all facts and details $2 is pretty cheap. I, however, am incapable of living in make-believe land like that, so here are the facts. One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range. Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones. Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap." To bring it to terms that you might understand, it'd be like planting a mango tree in your backyard, and your neighbor charging you $10 per fruit.


Yeah, because that's a fair analogy... oh wait, it isn't at all. Since a normal mango costs ~$1, and an app created by an independent developer costs an average of $1-3, your scale is insane. It would be like paying $2 for a mango, with the advantage of supporting someone you know as opposed to a corporation. Sorry $2 is such an outrageous amount to you and you think it lacks value; I however think he made a completely reasonable explanation as to why he is charging for it. There was really no reason to **** in his cheerios over this. Now if he was charging something insane like $10-15 bucks, I could see your point. But 2 bucks? Come on man.

Unfortunately I use an iPhone, but if I didn't, I would probably consider getting this app.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#21 Jul 18 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,733 posts
BartelX wrote:
Yeah, because that's a fair analogy... oh wait, it isn't at all. Since a normal mango costs ~$1,
So a tree you planted in your backyard charges you a dollar? Or are you just ignoring facts as well? Here's another fact: Any phone that can run this app can also run arrstatus.com. The point, which so many of you seem to miss so completely, is that you're being charged for something that you don't need to be charged for at all.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#22 Jul 18 2013 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Yeah, because that's a fair analogy... oh wait, it isn't at all. Since a normal mango costs ~$1,
So a tree you planted in your backyard charges you a dollar? Or are you just ignoring facts as well? Here's another fact: Any phone that can run this app can also run arrstatus.com. The point, which so many of you seem to miss so completely, is that you're being charged for something that you don't need to be charged for at all.


I didn't miss that point at all, the fact is sometimes a dedicated app will work better than a website. The widgets especially would be nice so you could look at your home screen and see the status without even launching the app. I don't know why you have such a large stick in your *** about this.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#23 Jul 18 2013 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
I understand the app isn't for you but I'd still like to respond to a couple things. :)

lolgaxe wrote:
One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range.

Most free apps may be "free" to the user, but make up for it by forcing people to view advertisements, something I'm not very fond of, but to each there own. Not all apps are created equal, and the system I had to set up to support the automatic notification system will require constant resources of my own each month, and most apps don't require anything like that and exist entirely on the device they're installed on.

lolgaxe wrote:
Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones

As far as I know there isn't another app on the store that includes everything my app does for FFXIV players and fans. I made sure to see what was available to folks before I put in the significant time investment into crafting the app. I wouldn't do so if there was already an app like mine.

lolgaxe wrote:
Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap."

I'm not too sure a person spending 2 bucks on something they find useful qualifies them as a moron. O.o
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#24 Jul 18 2013 at 9:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Any phone that can run this app can also run arrstatus.com. The point, which so many of you seem to miss so completely, is that you're being charged for something that you don't need to be charged for at all.

The thing is, folks are happier (well not all of them apparently) when they are offered choices and options. My app is just an option for folks that want more than what my website can provide. And at the end of the day, no one is being forced to pay for the app if they don't want it. :D


Edited, Jul 18th 2013 11:33am by raynault
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#25 Jul 18 2013 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Yeah, because that's a fair analogy... oh wait, it isn't at all. Since a normal mango costs ~$1,
So a tree you planted in your backyard charges you a dollar? Or are you just ignoring facts as well? Here's another fact: Any phone that can run this app can also run arrstatus.com. The point, which so many of you seem to miss so completely, is that you're being charged for something that you don't need to be charged for at all.


Well let's see, you had to pay for the tree. You had to pay for the water. You had to pay for the pesticides. Then somehow your neighbor is charging you for your fruit? That's not even an accurate analogy. It doesn't even make sense in the scope of the argument. I thought you had just made a grammatical error and meant that you would be charging $10 a fruit, but if that's not the case it's just a completely unecessary and inaccurate analogy for the following reason:

Arrstatus.com is very difficult to use on a phone. Most of the info doesn't show up without an incredible amount of scrolling, I can't customize it to show what I want, and it takes a good 20s to even load the whole thing because of the background and fancy imagery. This app allows customization on the phone and simplifies what the website offers for ease of use and functionality (ie, simple user interface). The app was designed for a phone, the website was not. There's your "niche".
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#26 Jul 18 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Not much of a big deal either way.... it's a one-time cost of $2. Even the MOST fiscally responsible person won't mind spending $2 on something they dont need or want. Under the typical circumstance of anyone that is worried about $2, there shouldn't even be any consideration of purchasing the app, let alone playing FFXIV. Either buy it or don't. It's not a decision that requires much, if any, thought. I don't even see why there is this much of extended discussion on it. Most FFXIV players could easily LOSE or WASTE $2 (or more) on any given day and not even notice it. (Not profiling or stereotyping, but basing it on an estimated average income to be able to afford FFXIV and a PC/PS3 to play it.)
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#27 Jul 18 2013 at 9:44 AM Rating: Default
******
48,733 posts
Wint wrote:
I don't know why you have such a large stick in your *** about this.
The product isn't worth the cost, and I'd rather be "the bad guy" and have that brought to people's attention than to let you and yours sing it's praise to unsuspecting potential clients without all the facts out there. It does two things, shows server status and notifies of changes. You can bookmark the page to your homepage, so the usefulness of a paid app is already questionable in that respect. It also notifies you of server status change when you're either at the computer already, or away from the computer when you can't take advantage of it. Rationally, realistically that's not worth $2.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#28 Jul 18 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
****
5,745 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
I don't need a mango, at any price. That doesn't mean the price of a mango is outrageous though.

What if you enjoy the occasional mango. You may not need it, per se. But you do gain benefit from eating one on occasion. There happens to be a mango tree in your backyard. You could just go back there and pick one and enjoy it, which costs you the time and effort it takes to go back there and eat it.

So your kid offers you a service. He will make the trip to the backyard for you and get a mango whenever you want it. And he'll do this for the flat cost of $2 for the rest of your life (well, until he gets tired of doing this and decides to discontinue the service). Good deal right? Especially since it's a one time fee.

But wait! You have to within the vicinity of a mango tree to eat the mango. Yeah, that's right. This is a weird mango. You can get the benefit of this mango delivery service. And you can enjoy having it in your hands and smelling the fragrance of the sweet fruit. But to actually eat it, you have to have the same access to a mango tree that your kid does when he picks it.

Is it worth $2 knowing you can have a mango in your hand at any time, even though you probably won't be able to eat it most of the time?

That's how I view this product.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#29 Jul 18 2013 at 9:54 AM Rating: Default
******
48,733 posts
BartelX wrote:
I can't customize it to show what I want, and it takes a good 20s to even load the whole thing because of the background and fancy imagery.
I'm sorry, you're right. I didn't take the twenty seconds into account. I'll drop it.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#30 Jul 18 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
BartelX wrote:
I can't customize it to show what I want, and it takes a good 20s to even load the whole thing because of the background and fancy imagery.
I'm sorry, you're right. I didn't take the twenty seconds into account. I'll drop it.


Yeah, way to completely ignore the rest of the argument. Or was it just too difficult for you to comprehend that usability and customization are actually important to some people?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#31 Jul 18 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
14 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't know why you have such a large stick in your *** about this.
The product isn't worth the cost, and I'd rather be "the bad guy" and have that brought to people's attention than to let you and yours sing it's praise to unsuspecting potential clients without all the facts out there. It does two things, shows server status and notifies of changes. You can bookmark the page to your homepage, so the usefulness of a paid app is already questionable in that respect. It also notifies you of server status change when you're either at the computer already, or away from the computer when you can't take advantage of it. Rationally, realistically that's not worth $2.


You're leaving out the ability for folks to ping the individual server from any wireless network they're connected to. I'm sure you know that folks like to know what their latency is, and that's another thing that my website can't provide on its own. Also, one person's (very loud) opinion about the worth of something doesn't make it fact (many of which you seem to be leaving out or misstating).

The fact about the notification system is that it will notify you anytime your phone has a data connection. This does, in fact, include when it's in your pocket and connected to you carrier's cell tower. It will even notify you when it's asleep. Some folks find that useful in a situation like this one:

You're about to get off of work and plan to head home and hop on ffxiv, but when you get in your car you are notified that your server has just gone down for maintenance... with your evening essentially ruined, you can then try to fill the void by making other plans.

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 11:58am by raynault

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:04pm by raynault
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV:ARR Server Status: arrstatus.com
#32 Jul 18 2013 at 9:58 AM Rating: Default
******
48,733 posts
BartelX wrote:
Yeah, way to completely ignore the rest of the argument.
You did the same for mine, why would I provide more for you?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#33 Jul 18 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Yeah, way to completely ignore the rest of the argument.
You did the same for mine, why would I provide more for you?


You making a bogus analogy and me calling you on it is ignoring the rest of your argument? Huh, news to me.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#34 Jul 18 2013 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
It's a niche product which most people don't need or want, but if they do need or want, 2 bucks is pretty cheap.
Sure, if you ignore all facts and details $2 is pretty cheap. I, however, am incapable of living in make-believe land like that, so here are the facts. One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range. Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones. Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap." To bring it to terms that you might understand, it'd be like planting a mango tree in your backyard, and your neighbor charging you $10 per fruit.


Dude, it's a niche app, not a staple food item.

If some one else is making a free app that does the same thing, then by all means get the free app. If you don't need the app at all, then by all means, don't buy the app. In the time you spend complaining about it you could have served 10 happy meals and afforded the app and a coke. How much is your time really worth, and why is it "outrageous" when some one else asks to be paid for their time?

I'm really interested to know what you do for a living, because I can't imagine you running any kind of successful business or even negotiating a competitive wage for yourself when you get mad over a 2 dollar, niche app.

And by the way, the "free" alternative you're talking about? It was created by the same person hawking the app. So what you're really saying is that he needs to take down the free web page or make it a pay site, or at least, break its compatibility with android mobile devices.
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#35 Jul 18 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't know why you have such a large stick in your *** about this.
The product isn't worth the cost, and I'd rather be "the bad guy" and have that brought to people's attention than to let you and yours sing it's praise to unsuspecting potential clients without all the facts out there. It does two things, shows server status and notifies of changes. You can bookmark the page to your homepage, so the usefulness of a paid app is already questionable in that respect. It also notifies you of server status change when you're either at the computer already, or away from the computer when you can't take advantage of it. Rationally, realistically that's not worth $2.


So you think the average consumer is too stupid to read the product description, look at the list of functions (and screenshots), and decide for themselves? You have a big heart, watching out for all the drooling idiots with disposable income out there Smiley: rolleyes

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 11:16am by Wint
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#36 Jul 18 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
lolgaxe wrote:
Wint wrote:
I don't know why you have such a large stick in your *** about this.
The product isn't worth the cost, and I'd rather be "the bad guy" and have that brought to people's attention than to let you and yours sing it's praise to unsuspecting potential clients without all the facts out there. It does two things, shows server status and notifies of changes. You can bookmark the page to your homepage, so the usefulness of a paid app is already questionable in that respect. It also notifies you of server status change when you're either at the computer already, or away from the computer when you can't take advantage of it. Rationally, realistically that's not worth $2.


Clearly not everyone shares your opinion and I doubt you're going to change anyone's mind. You can state your opinion but don't act like you're the absolute voice of reason. The product isn't worth the cost TO YOU. What if someone doesn't want the website as their homepage as they already use another website as their homepage? There could be any number of reason as to why someone does or doesn't wish to buy the app. It's hardly the best thing since sliced bread but it's also not the end of the world.
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#37 Jul 18 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
254 posts
wow, this thread got a lot more heated than I expected it to, glad I don't own an android phablet
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#38 Jul 18 2013 at 10:32 AM Rating: Decent
****
5,745 posts
KarlHungis wrote:
Dude, it's a niche app, not a staple food item.

Dude, I'm not the one who compared it to a mango to begin with.

KarlHungis wrote:
If some one else is making a free app that does the same thing, then by all means get the free app. If you don't need the app at all, then by all means, don't buy the app. In the time you spend complaining about it you could have served 10 happy meals and afforded the app and a coke. How much is your time really worth, and why is it "outrageous" when some one else asks to be paid for their time?

Or, I could spend that money on something else. Or just not spend the money and put it into savings instead. And I never said it was outrageous (that was lolgaxe). I've simply said it's not worth $2 to me.

KarlHungis wrote:
And by the way, the "free" alternative you're talking about?

SE provides a web site showing server status for FFXI. I expect they'll do the same for FFXIV if they haven't already done so. That should be easy enough to access on any device that can run the game.

KarlHungis wrote:
I'm really interested to know what you do for a living, because I can't imagine you running any kind of successful business or even negotiating a competitive wage for yourself when you get mad over a 2 dollar, niche app.

I'm a programmer. I don't write software that consumers buy. I work for a company that provides internet service, and I write software to help us manage the network. I'm also not "getting mad" over $2. I'm just not going to spend $2 on this app.

But that's enough about me. The important thing here is how businesses are run. One basic business principle in an open market system is that you don't price your product based on your cost. You price your product based on what the market will bear. If you charge more than people are willing to spend, your product will fail to sell. If you charge less than what people are willing to spend, you're making less money than you could be simply by charging more.

Having said that, the cost to provide the product or service is still a factor in a separate business decision. If it costs more to make your product than you can sell it for, then you should just not sell that product. Raising your price to exceed your cost doesn't help, because you're now losing sales due to the higher price.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#39 Jul 18 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I'm pretty sure the entire post was in reference to lolgaxe, not you svlyons. At least, that's how I read it.

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:43pm by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#40 Jul 18 2013 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
svlyons wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
Dude, it's a niche app, not a staple food item.

Dude, I'm not the one who compared it to a mango to begin with.


A mango isn't a staple food item, at least in North America. I chose it because it's a fairly cheap fruit that is nonetheless still a luxury item of sorts. Sort of like a 2 dollar app. If it makes the relationship more clear than substitute "pet rock" or "fuzzy dice" instead. The point is, it's cheap, you might want it, but you don't need it.

svlyons wrote:
KarlHungis wrote:
If some one else is making a free app that does the same thing, then by all means get the free app. If you don't need the app at all, then by all means, don't buy the app. In the time you spend complaining about it you could have served 10 happy meals and afforded the app and a coke. How much is your time really worth, and why is it "outrageous" when some one else asks to be paid for their time?

Or, I could spend that money on something else. Or just not spend the money and put it into savings instead. And I never said it was outrageous (that was lolgaxe).


Well I was responding to lolgaxe, which I thought the quotation of lolgaxe and the "lolgaxe wrote" thing would have indicated. If you want to respond to my post anyway, that's fine, it's an open forum, but don't act like I'm putting words in your mouth with a post that clearly wasn't addressed to you or about you.


Went ahead and snipped the rest of your post because it all seems based on the false assumption that I was talking to you specifically.

The bottom line for me is what I have already stated: This app is not something that any one needs. Not having it is not going to impair any one's lifestyle, and even if it did, it's not the app creator's job to solve that problem for free. The app developer has no moral duty to provide it at a cost that you can afford (although, who can afford a monthly subscription to an MMO and not a 2 dollar app?). Some one who can afford 50 cents or a dollar for this bauble can still afford 2.

Even if the app has no value to you or lolgaxe or any one else you know, acting like it's an outrage for some one to ask 2 dollars for an app that took them time and effort to develop is just dumb, And frankly, whatever software you are developing, your boss is definitely NOT providing it to the customer for just a few dollars. One way or another, his cost to pay you to develop it is being paid back with a healthy profit on top, or else he is in the process of going out of business or laying you off.

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:53pm by KarlHungis
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#41 Jul 18 2013 at 10:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Another way to look at it too is this app could help finance the site, I'm sure his costs are not trivial, it's well made and very popular.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#42 Jul 18 2013 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
BartelX wrote:
I'm pretty sure the entire post was in reference to lolgaxe, not you svlyons. At least, that's how I read it.

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 12:43pm by BartelX

Oh, oops.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#43 Jul 18 2013 at 11:07 AM Rating: Good
Wint wrote:
Another way to look at it too is this app could help finance the site, I'm sure his costs are not trivial, it's well made and very popular.


THIS is why I like you Wint ^_^


Edited, Jul 18th 2013 1:08pm by Seraphknight777
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#44 Jul 18 2013 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Wint wrote:
Another way to look at it too is this app could help finance the site, I'm sure his costs are not trivial, it's well made and very popular.


Well said Wint. I don't know why anyone would talk sh*t about the work he's doing because he is trying to recoup some of his costs.

If you don't like it, use the free webpage and don't buy the app... no need to start a flame war over it.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#45 Jul 18 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
*
232 posts
raynault wrote:
I understand the app isn't for you but I'd still like to respond to a couple things. :)

lolgaxe wrote:
One, most apps are free to begin with. Two, even pay apps tend to be only in the $1 range.

Most free apps may be "free" to the user, but make up for it by forcing people to view advertisements, something I'm not very fond of, but to each there own. Not all apps are created equal, and the system I had to set up to support the automatic notification system will require constant resources of my own each month, and most apps don't require anything like that and exist entirely on the device they're installed on.

lolgaxe wrote:
Three, most free apps do more than this app does, as do the typical $1 ones

As far as I know there isn't another app on the store that includes everything my app does for FFXIV players and fans. I made sure to see what was available to folks before I put in the significant time investment into crafting the app. I wouldn't do so if there was already an app like mine.

lolgaxe wrote:
Four, as so lovingly provided upthread a free option is available so the so called "niche" doesn't really exist, unless the niche you wish to speak of are fiscally immature morons. So two bucks for almost no function at all is not "pretty cheap."

I'm not too sure a person spending 2 bucks on something they find useful qualifies them as a moron. O.o


Whenever given the choice between paying a one time $1 to $3 fee or being bombarded by overly intrusive ads, I'll pay the fee and be done with it. I hate ads on apps, and I feel that it's perfectly reasonable for you to charge people for your time, effort, and resources. While I won't be purchasing this right away, I do want to thank you for presenting the option. When the game finally releases, I might just have to take you up on this deal.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#46 Jul 18 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
FrozenSherbet wrote:


Whenever given the choice between paying a one time $1 to $3 fee or being bombarded by overly intrusive ads, I'll pay the fee and be done with it. I hate ads on apps, and I feel that it's perfectly reasonable for you to charge people for your time, effort, and resources. While I won't be purchasing this right away, I do want to thank you for presenting the option. When the game finally releases, I might just have to take you up on this deal.


That's another good point ads suck ***. If you accidentally click/touch/swipe on one you usually get taken completely out of the app into your browser or the app store -_- Not to mention it's constantly in your face, flashing, sparkling, or whirling around.

Edit: My gawd I make a lot of typing mistakes! Maybe I shouldn't ignore the red lines while trying to type and eat at the same time. >_>

Edited, Jul 18th 2013 1:24pm by Seraphknight777



Edited, Jul 18th 2013 1:26pm by Seraphknight777
____________________________
Michael Tyrael
#47 Jul 18 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Why are people trying to tell me what is or isn't worth my hard-earned $2?

Seriously, guys. It's $2.

I'm tempted to make a video of me just burning $2, just to prove my point.

I'm not saying I'll be buying this, because I'm not much of an app man. Still, though, this would be a cool feature to have on your phone. Applaud the guy for actually learning how to make an app, and taking the initiative to do something productive with that knowledge.

Why are people so ridiculously scroogish when it comes to buying cheap digital goods on the Internet?

How in the **** are F2P games really that profitable?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#48 Jul 18 2013 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
217 posts
Your App looks awesome! As soon as it's available for my iPhone 5, I'll buy it in a hot second.
____________________________
Aeloriel Autumnleaf - Ultros Server

Karma Zameleons - LS
The Kraken Club - Zam Free Company

It's not the destination, it's the Journey!

#49 Jul 18 2013 at 2:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Wint wrote:
Hairspray wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.


At $2 per download he's not going to get rich... I doubt he'll even get the money back he invested. If you don't want to use the app then just don't download it... you could always just go to the website Wint posted for server status.

We shouldn't bash the guy for trying to recoup the cost of producing the app.



For the record, this guy wrote that website too. Not sure if you knew that or not.

I don't think he should be vilified for charging for it, you don't have to buy it and he's providing a free alternative. As a programmer myself I'm always willing to support other developers who's creations I find handy. Development takes time (and sometimes investment, it's $100 to publish software on the Apple App Store not to mention the cost of a Mac to develop on) and for some reason people think it should be free. At the moment I probably won't buy this, but down the road I might if I find a need for it.


I agree with above.

And nice job on the app...

____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#50 Jul 18 2013 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
**
924 posts
Thayos wrote:
Why are people trying to tell me what is or isn't worth my hard-earned $2?

Seriously, guys. It's $2.

I'm tempted to make a video of me just burning $2, just to prove my point.

I'm not saying I'll be buying this, because I'm not much of an app man. Still, though, this would be a cool feature to have on your phone. Applaud the guy for actually learning how to make an app, and taking the initiative to do something productive with that knowledge.

Why are people so ridiculously scroogish when it comes to buying cheap digital goods on the Internet?

How in the **** are F2P games really that profitable?


Well said sir. I agree completely :) While I haven't bought this app yet; from the pictures alone it looks great. The site itself is wonderful as well.

I tried making a android app for my addons before... and failed miserably. Congratulations to the OP on making it!
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#51 Jul 18 2013 at 2:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
488 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
$2 for this is outrageous.


I wonder how you plan to even buy or pay monthly for the game. You should be focusing on work and school if you can't afford that.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, FilthMcNasty, Anonymous Guests (79)