Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

What will be your first job in ARR?Follow

#52 Jul 19 2013 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
138 posts
NeptuneMagnus wrote:
I deliberately didn't play a tank class (or even visit Limsa, outside of quest reqs) in phase 3 so I would have something extra to look forward to at launch.

I envision my career path as
MRD to 15
To Grid, take LNC (invigorate) to 15
CNJ to 15 because curers are awesome
Alternating GLD and MRD to 50

Can't wait!


Sadly, they changed Invigorate to be learned at 22 instead of 15 like the previous phases Smiley: frown

As for myself, I have the following leveling path in mind:
GLA > 15 (Unlock airship pass, and needed to unlock WAR later on)
PGL > 12, ARC > 6, LNC > 4 (Will get it 22... eventually), CON > 12 (All to unlock some useful cross class skills)
Than finally start the path of MRD which eventually leads to WAR Smiley: lol
____________________________

#53 Jul 19 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
51 posts
Summoner. Very excited about it too. Always admired them in XI. I just hope Arcanist makes it into phase 4.
____________________________
Name: Huey Hiiirule
Server: Ultros
PSN: Link-2the-Past
#54 Jul 19 2013 at 6:36 PM Rating: Good
Party Pooper
*****
12,232 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:


Oops, didn't catch your edit. I'm not sure what the exact levels are, but that sounds about right. Looking at it that way, the slot increases would be at 1, 10, 15, 20, …, 50. Level 5 gets skipped to give you your initial ability.

Edited, Jul 19th 2013 5:18pm by FrozenSherbet



Oh gotcha, thanks for the clarification!
____________________________
[sm]FFXI: Flix 75THF/RNG/NIN/WAR/MNK/DRK/SAM/DRG/BLM Retired: Sept 2009.
SW:TOR Maim (Assassin) Sai'kou (Sniper) GM: Ultimatum. Retired: When 1.2 failed miserably.
FFXIV: Flix Skyfall (Behemoth) 50BRD: River of Blood for dayzzzzzz


#55 Jul 19 2013 at 8:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Xoie wrote:
Hairspray wrote:
FlixEffect wrote:
PavetlXIV wrote:
I was so convinced to play as BRD, but after trying MRD in Beta I think I'll certainly be WAR. So first I'll stard GLD to leve up to 15 (and because I love Ul'dah) and switch to MRD once I get the airship pass, and then level it all the way up to 50.



Might as well take GLD to 22 for Provoke (as a cross class ability) before hitting MRD.


Oh wow, so I have a question... will it be like FFXI where you have to be double the level of the subjob to be able to use the powers of that subjob (In this case 44MRD/22GLD), or will you unlock Provoke on MRD when you hit 22?


It's not the same as FFXI. There are cross-class abilities you obtain by leveling the ability's native class high enough. Once you've unlocked it you can equip it on other classes (but you only have a limited number of slots, so you can't take everything). Keep in mind, not every ability is cross-class, and even those that are may have some restrictions (like DoM-only abilities).


Oh wow, there's a lot I have to catch up on, I have to admit I was not watching the forums until I got my beta keys a few weeks ago. Thanks for your patience with me.

Yup, it's changed somewhat from XI. FYI, xivdb.com is great for ability listings. The filters are good, and you can see every class/job access for each ability.

So, as others have said, for a class, you get 1 cross-class slot @ level 1, then another every 5 levels from 10 (10, 15, 20 ...50) for a total of 10. There aren't many restrictions on what you can use - a pugilist can use Cure no problem (it's just weak as ****!). So, once your conjurer is 12, you can equip Cure, Protect & Raise on any class you have. Jobs are a different story. Your job gives 5 abilities on the path to 50, and you get 5 cross-class abilities, to make the 10 "extras." However, you can ONLY cross-class from the "subclass" you needed to unlock the job, and 1 other class. The relevant classes & abilities are all listed here. So jobs are much more restrictive, streaming you down the relevant path of the trinity.

Back on topic, I was a taru DRG in XI, so that will be my resurrection. I stayed away from Grid for that purpose in P3. BUT, the starting path will be a little different.
1) CNJ to 12 for armory access, Cure, Protect & Raise, plus start building up Leve Allowances
2) ACH to 6 for Straight Shot, Raging Strikes & Venomous Bite
3) LNC to 20 for airship, GC access, chocobo
4) MNR & BTN to 15ish - stock of mats & shards
5) Crafter to 19 for materia creation & melding. Had a lot of fun with GSM in beta, but ARM or CUL may work too.
THEN chase DRG, with some more cross-classing into MRD for abilities there.
#56 Jul 19 2013 at 10:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
I will be be doing Arcanist/Summoner followed by Archer/Bard. And of coarse a hand and land class, just don't know yet which will be more profitable and convenient for the classes I'm leveling.
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#57 Jul 20 2013 at 6:19 AM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
It will be my prerogative to change my mind a half dozen times during play but I've really been enjoying lancer. Smiley: laugh

I think I would like to give DRG my job cherry.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#58 Jul 20 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
488 posts
I have a feeling I might hit 50 with my first class before the game is even officially released.

Edited, Jul 20th 2013 10:10am by Mopdaddy
#59 Jul 20 2013 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
49 posts
Mopdaddy wrote:
I have a feeling I might hit 50 with my first class before the game is even officially released.


Do yourself a favor and don't make that a goal. If you grind to reach 50 before release, and they decide to wipe Phase 4 characters, there will only be hurt feelings. Enjoy the journey. Smiley: smile
____________________________
FFXIV ARR Legacy Member
Tenro Matashi - Balmung Server
LS: BASF 2.0
#60 Jul 20 2013 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
488 posts
WiseDonkey wrote:
Mopdaddy wrote:
I have a feeling I might hit 50 with my first class before the game is even officially released.


Do yourself a favor and don't make that a goal. If you grind to reach 50 before release, and they decide to wipe Phase 4 characters, there will only be hurt feelings. Enjoy the journey. Smiley: smile

Don't worry they won't wipe. I would even bet money on it. Not grinding just dungeon queue are instant on my healer and you pretty much fly without noticing.
#61 Jul 21 2013 at 12:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
ACN/SCH to 50 is my primary goal. Along the way however, I'll also be leveling ALC, WVR, GSM, BTN, and MNR. Long term, I would also like to level MRD and the remaining DoH classes, but who knows if I'll ever find the time. My basic plan is to apply all rested and other xp bonuses toward DoL classes, all leves toward DoH, and level ACN/SCH via quests, dungeons, and FATEs.
#62 Jul 21 2013 at 4:53 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
123 posts
ACN/SMN till 50. Ignoring every class except the secondary one to unlock summoner till 50.
____________________________
Final Fantasy Radio
http://finalfantasyradio.co/
Amestra Blackoak Ultros Server
The Kraken Club

#63 Jul 21 2013 at 6:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
53 posts
I simply LOVE to stand Eye to Eye with monsters and keep their attention while other in the party mush it into pulp.
I also LOVE play with my significant other that likewise want to play a healer.

This cause a conflict for me since gladiator start in uldah and conjurer start in gridania.

For now, the plan is to start a lancer to get gridania as starting city so we can level together.
Then later on get gladiator
#64 Jul 21 2013 at 8:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
holmen66 wrote:
I simply LOVE to stand Eye to Eye with monsters and keep their attention while other in the party mush it into pulp.
I also LOVE play with my significant other that likewise want to play a healer.

This cause a conflict for me since gladiator start in uldah and conjurer start in gridania.

For now, the plan is to start a lancer to get gridania as starting city so we can level together.
Then later on get gladiator


I suggest that you start wherever you want to start because your first 15 levels are going to come very quickly. You'll likely both hit your first dungeon together on your first or second day. On the other hand, you can pick up some useful cross class abilities by starting with another class.
#65 Jul 21 2013 at 8:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts
#66 Jul 21 2013 at 8:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.
#67 Jul 21 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Good
5 posts
I am so torn. I want to play them all at once lol.

I think i am going to start in gridania and level those to 15 then make my decision on what path to take first.

I will probably do WHM first. But SMN and PLD look prett awesome
#68 Jul 21 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Going by this page, both CNJ and WHM can cross-class Thunder and Thunder 2. I do agree that taking THM up to 22 or 26 might be a good idea for the extra abilities. Then again, a CNJ/WHM will probably be able to get by just fine without those two skills.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#69 Jul 21 2013 at 11:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Going by this page, both CNJ and WHM can cross-class Thunder and Thunder 2. I do agree that taking THM up to 22 or 26 might be a good idea for the extra abilities. Then again, a CNJ/WHM will probably be able to get by just fine without those two skills.


Gah, I forgot about thunder; I was just going off my rather poor memory. Seeing that post just reminded me how sad I was to learn that there wouldn't be more CC skills available for cnj to take from thm.
#70 Jul 21 2013 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
schneiderw wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Going by this page, both CNJ and WHM can cross-class Thunder and Thunder 2. I do agree that taking THM up to 22 or 26 might be a good idea for the extra abilities. Then again, a CNJ/WHM will probably be able to get by just fine without those two skills.


Gah, I forgot about thunder; I was just going off my rather poor memory. Seeing that post just reminded me how sad I was to learn that there wouldn't be more CC skills available for cnj to take from thm.


Imagine how overpowered it would be if CNJ got Blizzard. But yeah, I don't blame you for forgetting about Thunder. To be honest, no one is really going to care if their healer uses it or not. The spells should come in handy for any future solo events, though.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#71 Jul 21 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
655 posts
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Oh I understand like many ahve said Thunder is nice but with the info we ahve now im assuming smn will be made up pf arcanist/thm so I would like to unlock the class :)
#72 Jul 21 2013 at 2:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
silverhope wrote:
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Oh I understand like many ahve said Thunder is nice but with the info we ahve now im assuming smn will be made up pf arcanist/thm so I would like to unlock the class :)


Oh that makes sense. I didn't even think about it because I've been so focused on CC. Since I plan on on going ACN/SCH, I have been in a healer's mindset.
#73 Jul 21 2013 at 2:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
210 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:
schneiderw wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
schneiderw wrote:
silverhope wrote:
Conj > 20 than working on Cooking/weaving than Arcanist to 15 and thm to 15 and shoot conj up to 50 while hopfully mkaing some decent gold on the way with my crafts


Hey Silver, I don't want to presume to tell you how to play your game, but it occurs to me that the only abilities that you can cross class from THM are Surecast (8) and Swiftcast (26). If you're just looking to level THM for CC abilities, I'm not sure that there is much to gain from taking it to 15 and stopping there.


Going by this page, both CNJ and WHM can cross-class Thunder and Thunder 2. I do agree that taking THM up to 22 or 26 might be a good idea for the extra abilities. Then again, a CNJ/WHM will probably be able to get by just fine without those two skills.


Gah, I forgot about thunder; I was just going off my rather poor memory. Seeing that post just reminded me how sad I was to learn that there wouldn't be more CC skills available for cnj to take from thm.


Imagine how overpowered it would be if CNJ got Blizzard. But yeah, I don't blame you for forgetting about Thunder. To be honest, no one is really going to care if their healer uses it or not. The spells should come in handy for any future solo events, though.


I was kind of hoping to get blizzard even without umbral ice. I really enjoy blasting mobs from afar and giving them that heavy status effect for solo play, and I like aero much better than thunder anyway.
#74 Jul 22 2013 at 11:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
104 posts
Character? Probably Conjurer. Actual "Job"? I'm thinking Paladin might be first, but if I stay with my main, then White Mage...
#75 Jul 31 2013 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
I will probably go Scholar, since from what I have read (unless I am mistaken) it is as close to blue mage as I can get right now. I may do some archer because I know I will need that speed boost skill. And when I am not doing that, I'll be on the rod and reel.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#76 Jul 31 2013 at 9:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
487 posts
Probably summoner despite the ugly paint splats called summons :(
____________________________
BANNED
#77 Jul 31 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
I'm just not sure, it depends for me. I prefer Ul'dah over the other starting cities, but I enjoyed LNC more than anything so far. I was thinking about leveling MAR at launch however LL is kinda difficult for me to get around. My starting class in Phase 3 was PUG, I didn't care for it, but you need it for DRG so I might level it again at launch. Can anyone help a brother out? I need some advice, badly.
#78 Jul 31 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
***
1,430 posts
Arcanist for me. I want to see how Summoner plays in XIV and how much these developers actually learned from the incomplete job Tanaka & company did with the job in XI.
____________________________
Hayward: San d'Orian Elvaan Male. Cerberus Server.

*Current Project: Mog Garden*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hayward Timberwolf | Limsa Lominsa | Adamantoise | Elezen Male

Main class: ACN50
Other classes: THM50|ARC50|CNJ50|GLA50|MRD50|PGL50|LNC50|ROG50
DoH: CUL50|CRP50|ALC50|BSM50|ARM50|WVR50|LTW50|GSM50
DoL: Miner, Lv. 50|Botanist Lv. 50|Fisher Lv. 50
Jobs Unlocked: SMN|BLM|SCH|PLD|WHM|BRD|WAR|DRG|NIN
#79 Jul 31 2013 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
239 posts
Mine will be Warrior, I was a warrior was back in FFXI and loved it. Ended up picking up Nin for the tank aspect of it and loved it. Thinking warrior will be the way to go so I can smash things in the face and still tank as well :)

I am really hoping in the future they enable Warrior to duel wield axes like in FFXI. That was the most fun I have had as DPS. I can still remember getting Rampage and using it on those crabs. First time seeing big numbers as DPS.
____________________________
Quote:
WAR has access to enough enmity gear and enough hate-inducing JA to aggro baby jesus.


Quote:
When I'm trying to decide what spell to cast I look at the mobs' weaknesses, check the day, check the weather and then calmly cast Thunder IV.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 93 All times are in CST
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (92)