Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Lightning/Snow Gear and Weapons from Doing FATEFollow

#27Ehllfire, Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 2:16 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I would like to point out in that quote that you could replace red xiii's name with Lightning and it would be the exact thing, so Yoshi's statement is hypocritical.
#28 Jul 26 2013 at 2:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
424 posts
None of these complaints make sense to me. For the past ten years there have been countless spin-offs, with as many FF characters as SE can jam them with, and nobody gives two *****. Kingdom Hearts is a perfect example. How is anyone suppose to explain how Disney characters and SE characters run around in some magical fairy tail **** ******* each other for days on end without there being some obvious plot holes and moments where you just have to stop and say "maybe I should just enjoy this game and try less to understand its lore". Both Dissidia games made no sense, but who cares? Eirghez was dumb, but fun. While I was playing it, I didn't think "gee wiz, I wonder how this will affect the story of FF7, it will ruin everything."

Too many people people getting **** hurt because they can't get your way. The inclusion of these two outfits, and a minor segment in which you get to see Lighting, for some reason makes people feel like SE is ******** directly into their mouths. Give me a break. Ugh, but think about the the Lore, ugh, ugh, the Lore, ugh. Blow it out your ***.
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#29 Jul 26 2013 at 3:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Ehllfire wrote:

I would like to point out in that quote that you could replace red xiii's name with Lightning and it would be the exact thing, so Yoshi's statement is hypocritical.


See my previous post as to why Lightning is actually overqualified for showing up in FFXIV above any other character in the series.

And no. Lightning is not a part of a dieing species specific to FFXIII's world. And you pay an insult to Yoshida by calling him hypocritical when in fact he isn't.

Also, RedXIII's story and role in his world is essentially concluded. Lighthing still has one more chapter to go.
#30Ehllfire, Posted: Jul 26 2013 at 3:24 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Are any characters finished? They are still putting out sequels to old ff games like 7. I think its a weak excuse they are using. Theyd be better off saying "We feel using Lightning will attract more subs as its the most recent title people remember" than going into some song and dance about what fits. I think we are all intelligent enough to see this is just to sell some more copies at launch.
#31 Jul 26 2013 at 3:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
What sequel to VII are you referring to?
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#32 Jul 26 2013 at 3:36 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Wint wrote:
What sequel to VII are you referring to?

Spinoffs I mean, not a direct sequel.
____________________________
BANNED
#33 Jul 26 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
Theyd be better off saying "We feel using Lightning will attract more subs as its the most recent title people remember" than going into some song and dance about what fits. I think we are all intelligent enough to see this is just to sell some more copies at launch.



yes, i agree; i'd definitely prefer the devs to be lazy and not work their marketing technique into the storyline at all.

It's so obviously a marketing technique that it doesn't even need to be discussed as one. But that isn't the point. The point is that the game needs players, and the other point is that the dev team actually went the extra step to include new story material for both XIV and XII fans. You should be thanking them.
____________________________
monk
dragoon
[ffxivsig]477065[/ffxivsig]
#34 Jul 26 2013 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
Ehllfire wrote:

Are any characters finished? They are still putting out sequels to old ff games like 7. I think its a weak excuse they are using. Theyd be better off saying "We feel using Lightning will attract more subs as its the most recent title people remember" than going into some song and dance about what fits. I think we are all intelligent enough to see this is just to sell some more copies at launch.


Um, I'd hate to break it to you, but Crisis core is a five year old game. There hasn't been a full on title for 7 since then.

Even FFIV, the After years, was released in 2008. So the 'Spin off' argument pretty much has no weight here at all, and the credibility you're trying to establish for your argument is in fact doing the opposite.

Your argument is bitter and jaded at best. If anything FFXIII has a stain on it through much of its NA and EU base and the referencing it together could be cautioned against by its PR teams due to the stigma they each have individually.

"Why are you putting my Lightning in that broken MMO game? And those cat ears are terrible!" Says the 13 fans.

"Ugh! Lighthing? Really? You're ruining my immersion!" Says the 14 fans.

This is two development teams trying to liven up relations between one another instead of being so isolated as has been the history of the company Pre-Yoshida and before the President Role change. May it be an attempt to garner sales for both games? Perhaps, but it's a misguided one if that's the only impression. This is more them trying to create a more united relations between both their developers, and sort of the communities as well, as we do have fans STILL divided along favorite FF lines. We'd not even be having this conversation if it was Gilgamesh, or any other Voidlost. The complaints were much MUCH fewer when it was Terra on her Magitek Mount. And we practically screamed for joy at Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts after playing them.

I sincerely hope this isn't a game-breaker for you because we'll likely be seeing more, in more titles as well - not just FFXIV.

#35 Jul 26 2013 at 4:05 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Hyrist wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:

Are any characters finished? They are still putting out sequels to old ff games like 7. I think its a weak excuse they are using. Theyd be better off saying "We feel using Lightning will attract more subs as its the most recent title people remember" than going into some song and dance about what fits. I think we are all intelligent enough to see this is just to sell some more copies at launch.


Um, I'd hate to break it to you, but Crisis core is a five year old game. There hasn't been a full on title for 7 since then.

Even FFIV, the After years, was released in 2008. So the 'Spin off' argument pretty much has no weight here at all, and the credibility you're trying to establish for your argument is in fact doing the opposite.

Your argument is bitter and jaded at best. If anything FFXIII has a stain on it through much of its NA and EU base and the referencing it together could be cautioned against by its PR teams due to the stigma they each have individually.

"Why are you putting my Lightning in that broken MMO game? And those cat ears are terrible!" Says the 13 fans.

"Ugh! Lighthing? Really? You're ruining my immersion!" Says the 14 fans.

This is two development teams trying to liven up relations between one another instead of being so isolated as has been the history of the company Pre-Yoshida and before the President Role change. May it be an attempt to garner sales for both games? Perhaps, but it's a misguided one if that's the only impression. This is more them trying to create a more united relations between both their developers, and sort of the communities as well, as we do have fans STILL divided along favorite FF lines. We'd not even be having this conversation if it was Gilgamesh, or any other Voidlost. The complaints were much MUCH fewer when it was Terra on her Magitek Mount. And we practically screamed for joy at Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts after playing them.

I sincerely hope this isn't a game-breaker for you because we'll likely be seeing more, in more titles as well - not just FFXIV.


My argument is hardly bitter and jaded. Im just pointing why is there a need to go make cross game appearances? Is this some sitcom that will benefit from an actor crossover? Im not even saying its ruining anything for me (you drew that assumption yourself). Not being accepting of them just cashing in on icons to cash in on it doesnt make me a "hater". It just means I have a different set of standards I live by. I will always think it shallow and a money grab to do these things, no matter the game. I loved Kingdom Hearts but hated that so many VII an VIII characters were in it especially since it made little story sense. Im not a story or immersion purist, but having a believable story is important.
____________________________
BANNED
#36 Jul 26 2013 at 5:47 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,779 posts
The ease of VII and VIII characters was essentially voice actors on hand and model development. Remember KH was pre-Dissidia in its inception and there were initial concerns that, frankly, the earlier character models from the old Saga were just too out of the way to design. Out of all of the earlier works, Setzer was the one to make an appearance from VI.

VII and X had previous voice actors, which made filling them in easier.

Story wise, there was no sense to be had. These were character-a likenesses that existed as their own canon, much in the way the Disney characters reprise their roles, but in differing ways to fit with Kingdom Heart's own rendition of them all.

And agian, I have to wonder if you played 13-2 at all. It makes perfect sense, plot wise, that Lightining ends up on Eorzea, Especially if characters like Gilgamesh and Cloud of Darkness are also making appearances (Cloud of Darkness confirmed as a possible Crystal Tower Boss.)

Why? Because like Cloud of Darkness and Gligamesh, Lightning existed in the Void for a time. She was pulled there by the forces of Chaos when time began to unravel for Pulse and she was written off from the altered history. And in Eorzea, the Void made a HUGE showing as Dalamud approached, likely meaning the dimensional integrity of Eorzea itself is weak and/or already compromised. Beings from the void, have already spilled out into the realm, as well has have been summoned to the realm intentionally within ARR's own plot.

It's very possible that, during her spiral through the void before winding up in Valhalla, she washed up in an additional realm or two for a brief time. It also makes sense given that her attire is the same as her normal XIII attire, meaning she has not met Etro yet and has not accepted her charge as her knight. That's more than just a believable story, it actually has precedent in previous Final Fantasies: Gilgamesh - who seems to do quite a bit of wandering around in various realms before finally meeting his end fighting alongside Bartz and crew in the Void itself and sacrificing himself.

So the story is there, it's as plain as day to me: Lightning washes up in Eorzea for a bit trying to find a way back home, and discovers that some monsters from her realm are spilling out into Eorzea as well, and follows the trail of Pulse/Cocoon baddies back into her particular disruption. - or some such variant of that plot device.

The pieces for it happening are already laid in the groundwork for both 14 and 13. Cash grab or not, it's got a valid approach to doing it. Better than Cloud's cameo in Tactics, honestly, as the Lifestream wasn't exactly a trans-dimensional gateway like the HistoriaCrux/Unseen Relam is.
#37 Jul 26 2013 at 7:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,418 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
Hyrist wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:

Are any characters finished? They are still putting out sequels to old ff games like 7. I think its a weak excuse they are using. Theyd be better off saying "We feel using Lightning will attract more subs as its the most recent title people remember" than going into some song and dance about what fits. I think we are all intelligent enough to see this is just to sell some more copies at launch.


Um, I'd hate to break it to you, but Crisis core is a five year old game. There hasn't been a full on title for 7 since then.

Even FFIV, the After years, was released in 2008. So the 'Spin off' argument pretty much has no weight here at all, and the credibility you're trying to establish for your argument is in fact doing the opposite.

Your argument is bitter and jaded at best. If anything FFXIII has a stain on it through much of its NA and EU base and the referencing it together could be cautioned against by its PR teams due to the stigma they each have individually.

"Why are you putting my Lightning in that broken MMO game? And those cat ears are terrible!" Says the 13 fans.

"Ugh! Lighthing? Really? You're ruining my immersion!" Says the 14 fans.

This is two development teams trying to liven up relations between one another instead of being so isolated as has been the history of the company Pre-Yoshida and before the President Role change. May it be an attempt to garner sales for both games? Perhaps, but it's a misguided one if that's the only impression. This is more them trying to create a more united relations between both their developers, and sort of the communities as well, as we do have fans STILL divided along favorite FF lines. We'd not even be having this conversation if it was Gilgamesh, or any other Voidlost. The complaints were much MUCH fewer when it was Terra on her Magitek Mount. And we practically screamed for joy at Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts after playing them.

I sincerely hope this isn't a game-breaker for you because we'll likely be seeing more, in more titles as well - not just FFXIV.


My argument is hardly bitter and jaded. Im just pointing why is there a need to go make cross game appearances? Is this some sitcom that will benefit from an actor crossover? Im not even saying its ruining anything for me (you drew that assumption yourself). Not being accepting of them just cashing in on icons to cash in on it doesnt make me a "hater". It just means I have a different set of standards I live by. I will always think it shallow and a money grab to do these things, no matter the game. I loved Kingdom Hearts but hated that so many VII an VIII characters were in it especially since it made little story sense. Im not a story or immersion purist, but having a believable story is important.


Hello Laverne and Shirley, Meet Mork! Oh Happy days, how silly.
Anyway...You would ***** about Lightning, but not Cid? Biggs and Wedge? Chocobo's? Crystals? Mages? underpants?
all of these things are "crossovers" as you describe. Calling something fun a "cash grab" does make you sound jaded and bitter.
____________________________

#38 Jul 26 2013 at 7:40 PM Rating: Good
******
49,821 posts
Teneleven wrote:
Anyway...You would ***** about Lightning, but not Cid?
Not the same. Cid Pollendia is not Cid Previa is not Cid del Norte Marguez is not Cid Highwind is not Cid Kramer. Lightning is Lightning. Also, the Biggs and Wedges aren't the same characters each iteration either, nor are the chocobos, mages, crystals, and underwear is more a Chrono series thing than a Final Fantasy franchise thing. What you're referring to are character archetypes that appear in the games as sort of legacy Easter Eggs. What he's referring to is the character itself being in other games. A more appropriate comparison would be with Gilgimesh, who is the same character from appearance to appearance *except 11, who I seem to have forgotten, yet managed to remember all of the Cid's last names.

Personally, considering the overarching storyline of XIII, with it's dimensional and time travel-esque themes, it doesn't really change my blood pressure any that it's a side quest in another game that also features time travel-esque themes. They could throw Crono, Lucca, and Marle in there and it'd still fit.

Edited, Jul 26th 2013 9:43pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#39 Jul 26 2013 at 8:09 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Anyway...You would ***** about Lightning, but not Cid?
Not the same. Cid Pollendia is not Cid Previa is not Cid del Norte Marguez is not Cid Highwind is not Cid Kramer. Lightning is Lightning. Also, the Biggs and Wedges aren't the same characters each iteration either, nor are the chocobos, mages, crystals, and underwear is more a Chrono series thing than a Final Fantasy franchise thing. What you're referring to are character archetypes that appear in the games as sort of legacy Easter Eggs. What he's referring to is the character itself being in other games. A more appropriate comparison would be with Gilgimesh, who is the same character from appearance to appearance *except 11, who I seem to have forgotten, yet managed to remember all of the Cid's last names.

Personally, considering the overarching storyline of XIII, with it's dimensional and time travel-esque themes, it doesn't really change my blood pressure any that it's a side quest in another game that also features time travel-esque themes. They could throw Crono, Lucca, and Marle in there and it'd still fit.

Edited, Jul 26th 2013 9:43pm by lolgaxe


The thought of a Chrono MMO just made my whole body tingle a little.
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#40 Jul 26 2013 at 8:12 PM Rating: Default
*****
12,622 posts
Is there anything I can do to sabotage this event? In order to "thank" the people who bought into the XIII hype which literally destroyed this generation of FF games?
____________________________
Blah
#41 Jul 27 2013 at 1:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Old dude ports entire world's citizens 5 years in the future = fine.
Temporary dimensions(or whatever) open up allowing characters from pas FF games to show up = WTF HOW???

The former developed as the logical conclusion of an original storyline.
The latter is the by-product of a forced accretion of two entirely unrelated
worlds with very different vibes due to marketing considerations.
#42 Jul 27 2013 at 3:26 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Cross promotion is a GOOOOOO
#43 Jul 27 2013 at 6:35 AM Rating: Decent
*****
12,622 posts
and for the record. Lightning is an ice queen and Snow is a pedobear.
____________________________
Blah
#44 Jul 27 2013 at 8:33 AM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
Being one of the few? people who seem intrigued with Lightning Returns I'm a little disappointed if it's simply a FATE. I was hoping for some type of prologue cut scene.

And I completely agree with Hyrist. Given XIII-2 continuity and what we know of the Void, viably adding Lightning into the game shouldn't cost too many precious brain cells to go to waste.


Quote:
Lightning is an ice queen


Yes. Yes she is. And I love it! Smiley: laugh

Edited, Jul 27th 2013 10:41am by ShindaUsagi
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#45 Jul 27 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm really looking forward to XIII-3 myself, so count me in the group that "ruined" Final Fantasy I guess.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#46 Jul 27 2013 at 10:23 AM Rating: Excellent
**
598 posts
Wint wrote:
I'm really looking forward to XIII-3 myself, so count me in the group that "ruined" Final Fantasy I guess.


We should totally organize some sort of "Maypole" event around Lightning upon release! Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#47 Jul 27 2013 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Wint wrote:
I'm really looking forward to XIII-3 myself, so count me in the group that "ruined" Final Fantasy I guess.


We should totally organize some sort of "Maypole" event around Lightning upon release! Smiley: laugh


Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#48 Jul 27 2013 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
Wint wrote:
I'm really looking forward to XIII-3 myself, so count me in the group that "ruined" Final Fantasy I guess.


We should totally organize some sort of "Maypole" event around Lightning upon release! Smiley: laugh


Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#49 Jul 27 2013 at 11:15 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,004 posts
Lefein wrote:
Is there anything I can do to sabotage this event? In order to "thank" the people who bought into the XIII hype which literally destroyed this generation of FF games?


thats taking it a little far. Sure 13 wasn't the best game in the series, but it wasn't an out right terrible game. When you get to gran pulse the game opens up and lets you explore the world, which actually was very well crafted. I'm in no way defending that 30 hour hallway run to get to the good stuff, but to say it destroyed an entire generation of FF is a bit of a stretch.
#50 Jul 28 2013 at 2:08 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,418 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Teneleven wrote:
Anyway...You would ***** about Lightning, but not Cid?
Not the same. Cid Pollendia is not Cid Previa is not Cid del Norte Marguez is not Cid Highwind is not Cid Kramer. Lightning is Lightning. Also, the Biggs and Wedges aren't the same characters each iteration either, nor are the chocobos, mages, crystals, and underwear is more a Chrono series thing than a Final Fantasy franchise thing. What you're referring to are character archetypes that appear in the games as sort of legacy Easter Eggs. What he's referring to is the character itself being in other games. A more appropriate comparison would be with Gilgimesh, who is the same character from appearance to appearance *except 11, who I seem to have forgotten, yet managed to remember all of the Cid's last names.

Personally, considering the overarching storyline of XIII, with it's dimensional and time travel-esque themes, it doesn't really change my blood pressure any that it's a side quest in another game that also features time travel-esque themes. They could throw Crono, Lucca, and Marle in there and it'd still fit.




Well, i know the point you are trying to make Lolgaxe, but i know chocobos and underpants are not what he is talking about. I think what i was getting at, is if your ok with a franchise that is NTORIOUS for re-using certain aspects of the game in all the new games....is this really that big of a deal?
I know that it's different..but FF has always done things "different". When you saw cid in more than 1 FF title...it was probably weird at first. I wonder how many people even gave that a second thought back then. You can give Cid as many last names, and roles as you want...but cid is cid...not unlike lightning. not much anyway.

Quote:
The original Cid. He began his career as one of Fynn's knights, but later acquired an airship and left Fynn's service to seek out his own fortune. Based out of Poft, Cid offers taxi service with his airship to Firion and the party. At one stage his airship is taken (with Princess Hilda aboard) by the Palamecian Empire's Dreadnought. Firion and his friends rescue them, and the Dreadnought is destroyed. Later, Cid dies and gives his airship to Firion.


Cid has always been the same .. you can change his last name and job, he still deals in airships. He always will. Maybe SE wants Lightning to be the new Cid..who knows?



Edited, Jul 28th 2013 4:27am by Teneleven
____________________________

#51 Jul 28 2013 at 4:17 AM Rating: Excellent
I was discussing FFXIII the other day with a friend of mine. He didn't like it, I did. However after a lengthy discussion (details not really important) he admitted he never got past Cocoon and said he would go back and play the game again based on what I told him about the rest of the game he never played. He isn't the first person I have talked to about FFXIII that didn't like it (and also never played past Cocoon.). Have a feeling a lot more people might have liked it if they had played until they reached the Gran Pulse... Idk.

As far as the cross-over. I think it's kinda cool. It's just an event and if it helps get a few more people to try out the game, then what's the harm?

Edited, Jul 28th 2013 6:19am by StateAlchemist
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)