Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Voice Actors for Japanese versonFollow

#1 Jul 28 2013 at 1:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
334 posts
http://i4.minus.com/ibmXAjskZ3OuOj.jpg

The beta forum says you can switch voice between languages regardless the verson you playing.



Edited, Jul 29th 2013 2:44pm by Wint Lock Thread: Annoying enough that I'm sick of it being bumped.
#2 Jul 28 2013 at 1:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Rie Tanaka?

Oooooooh boy. The Twin Vipers leader probably has a little crazy in her somewhere.
#3 Jul 28 2013 at 2:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
Eri Kitamura :)

I really liked Blood+
#4 Jul 28 2013 at 2:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
334 posts
akio ohtsuka is the voice for solid snake
#5 Jul 28 2013 at 9:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
I hope its better voice acting then ffxiii-2 I had to turn it mute.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#6 Jul 28 2013 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
210 posts
Awesome, I will most likely be taking advantage of this!
#7 Jul 28 2013 at 3:41 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
I hope its better voice acting then ffxiii-2 I had to turn it mute.


Japanese voice actors are usually very good (to the point where people would rather listen to the original voice and read subtitles over dubbing), and they're pulling some pretty popular ones into FFXIV (although some were there already, like Rie Tanaka).

You could probably go down that image list as a sign of most popular to least known.
#8 Jul 28 2013 at 5:01 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Ravashack wrote:


Japanese voice actors are usually very good (to the point where people would rather listen to the original voice and read subtitles over dubbing), and they're pulling some pretty popular ones into FFXIV (although some were there already, like Rie Tanaka).

You could probably go down that image list as a sign of most popular to least known.


What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe. As matter of fact, almost all of them sound like a bad hentai video. FFXIV isn't dubbed into English, it was written for English and dubbed into other languages.

Edited, Jul 28th 2013 6:03pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#9 Jul 28 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ravashack wrote:


Japanese voice actors are usually very good (to the point where people would rather listen to the original voice and read subtitles over dubbing), and they're pulling some pretty popular ones into FFXIV (although some were there already, like Rie Tanaka).

You could probably go down that image list as a sign of most popular to least known.


What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe. As matter of fact, almost all of them sound like a bad hentai video. FFXIV isn't dubbed into English, it was written for English and dubbed into other languages.

Edited, Jul 28th 2013 6:03pm by ShadowedgeFFXI


OK, that's a really irritating accusation followed by an opinion and ending in an arrogant troll-bait claim. The only implications you are seeing in what you quoted are your own self-delusional ones. "Usually" does not mean "all" or "most" or "almost all" in any context.
#10 Jul 28 2013 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
297 posts
I am totally going for Japanese voice acting and reading the subtitles.
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros - Kraken Club - Karma Zameleons
Autumn Klmbkvist

FFXI - Fenrir (Retired)
Osmund
Diogenes

"Move with confidence."
"Anything worth doing is never easy."
#11 Jul 28 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Ravashack wrote:



OK, that's a really irritating accusation followed by an opinion and ending in an arrogant troll-bait claim. The only implications you are seeing in what you quoted are your own self-delusional ones. "Usually" does not mean "all" or "most" or "almost all" in any context.


Spin it that way if you like, but I think you knew what I meant. I'm tired of JP fanboys putting down the English talent just because they prefer weird sounding JP actors. Maybe if you clarified your opinion better, you wouldn't have gotten this response from me. I don't need any grammar lessons either. That's both patronizing and immature.
#12 Jul 28 2013 at 8:37 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ravashack wrote:



OK, that's a really irritating accusation followed by an opinion and ending in an arrogant troll-bait claim. The only implications you are seeing in what you quoted are your own self-delusional ones. "Usually" does not mean "all" or "most" or "almost all" in any context.


Spin it that way if you like, but I think you knew what I meant. I'm tired of JP fanboys putting down the English talent just because they prefer weird sounding JP actors. Maybe if you clarified your opinion better, you wouldn't have gotten this response from me. I don't need any grammar lessons either. That's both patronizing and immature.


No, you need a reality check. The thread's about the Japanese voice actors. Not the English ones. Notice how the thread title says "Voice Actors for Japanese verson" (sic) up there?

I never said OR implied that the English ones were bad, especially considering we don't even know who they are. Your own anti-Japanese bias is feeding your own paranoia about implying things. Just because there are Japanese voice actors good enough that non-native speakers want to listen to them over their own language speakers does not mean English voice actors suck. That's you sticking your own ridiculous beliefs in my mouth. Anyone coming to that conclusion is clearly looking for an argument that's not there.
#13 Jul 28 2013 at 9:03 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Ravashack wrote:

I never said OR implied that the English ones were bad, especially considering we don't even know who they are. Your own anti-Japanese bias is feeding your own paranoia about implying things. Just because there are Japanese voice actors good enough that non-native speakers want to listen to them over their own language speakers does not mean English voice actors suck. That's you sticking your own ridiculous beliefs in my mouth. Anyone coming to that conclusion is clearly looking for an argument that's not there.


I don't have any bias in me regarding JP actors, all I asked for was clarification. I could do without your trollish response though, but thanks for explaining your intentions. Don't pretend that the OP topic isn't an excuse to go off topic either. I've been on these forums long enough to know that there are quite a lot of people that share an anti-English bias. You failure to simply answer my question without resorting to ad hominem attacks on my character is clearly unwarranted. Don't bother responding, just be quiet and learn from your mistakes.
#14 Jul 28 2013 at 9:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
68 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ravashack wrote:

I never said OR implied that the English ones were bad, especially considering we don't even know who they are. Your own anti-Japanese bias is feeding your own paranoia about implying things. Just because there are Japanese voice actors good enough that non-native speakers want to listen to them over their own language speakers does not mean English voice actors suck. That's you sticking your own ridiculous beliefs in my mouth. Anyone coming to that conclusion is clearly looking for an argument that's not there.


I don't have any bias in me regarding JP actors, all I asked for was clarification. I could do without your trollish response though, but thanks for explaining your intentions. Don't pretend that the OP topic isn't an excuse to go off topic either. I've been on these forums long enough to know that there are quite a lot of people that share an anti-English bias. You failure to simply answer my question without resorting to ad hominem attacks on my character is clearly unwarranted. Don't bother responding, just be quiet and learn from your mistakes.


Lolwhat!
#15 Jul 28 2013 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
**
640 posts
English dubbing in final fantasy games have been pretty good in comparison to stuff like Aion for example. I think it'll be interesting to see how much the localization alters from the original script as Tera altered its plot or something to make it appeal more to the Western audiences.



Edited, Jul 28th 2013 11:12pm by Solonuke
#16 Jul 28 2013 at 9:13 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,054 posts
There's a certain irony when I hear some people claim JP VAs are superior when you find out the person praising them can't even speak Japanese. This basically means they can't discern bad acting even if they were intentionally flaunting it. Anyway, while I wouldn't evoke the hentai card, I do tend to have issues with JP voiced females sounding higher pitched than you'd typically find with English speakers. As well, on the male end, you'll find some JP VAs that sound like they're reading their lines while trying to pass a wicked dump. The simplest way I could describe that is maybe a baritone Gilbert Godfried.

This isn't to say English VAs aren't without flaw and I haven't seen the English cast to really judge, but yeah... subs onry folk just tend to be annoying with their insinuations.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#17 Jul 28 2013 at 9:18 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
It's not an MMO but the best voice acting I've ever seen was in The Last of Us. I just totally connected to those two I guess. They were totally real for me.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#18 Jul 28 2013 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,477 posts
LebargeX wrote:
It's not an MMO but the best voice acting I've ever seen was in The Last of Us.
The graphics sound great, too.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#19 Jul 28 2013 at 9:27 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
LebargeX wrote:
It's not an MMO but the best voice acting I've ever seen was in The Last of Us.
The graphics sound great, too.

Yeah yeah. Hardy har. I was going to edit it before I hit post but I was too lazy. :)

Edited, Jul 28th 2013 8:27pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#20 Jul 28 2013 at 9:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ravashack wrote:

I never said OR implied that the English ones were bad, especially considering we don't even know who they are. Your own anti-Japanese bias is feeding your own paranoia about implying things. Just because there are Japanese voice actors good enough that non-native speakers want to listen to them over their own language speakers does not mean English voice actors suck. That's you sticking your own ridiculous beliefs in my mouth. Anyone coming to that conclusion is clearly looking for an argument that's not there.


I don't have any bias in me regarding JP actors, all I asked for was clarification. I could do without your trollish response though, but thanks for explaining your intentions. Don't pretend that the OP topic isn't an excuse to go off topic either. I've been on these forums long enough to know that there are quite a lot of people that share an anti-English bias. You failure to simply answer my question without resorting to ad hominem attacks on my character is clearly unwarranted. Don't bother responding, just be quiet and learn from your mistakes.


Yes, because it's SO difficult and SO much more insulting to ask "Wait, are you trying to say that all Japanese voice actors are better than English ones?"

Or even the simple "I'm not sure what you mean here, could you clarify this please?"

#21 Jul 29 2013 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
For me it's Borderlands 2, CL4P-TP and Mr Torque.
____________________________




#22 Jul 29 2013 at 12:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
For English-speaking voice actors, Claudia Black is great. Of course, she's a regular actress too, but I hear her in games quite a bit.
#23 Jul 29 2013 at 2:11 AM Rating: Decent
*
88 posts
In some cases its merely that the english voice acting is so terrible and without effort that the JP VA are preferred. If the English VA's are putting at least some real effort into voicing the characters, i'll prefer them usually since i don't speak japanese. Many dubbed roles for games early on, had TERRIBLE voice actors or barely passable which made the JP VA preferred. The emotions displayed don't require a mastery of the language to understand either, i.e. crying scenes.

That being said... square has had a really good track record for voice acting overall. From final fantasy, down to kingdom hearts.
#24 Jul 29 2013 at 2:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Thelastremainingintime wrote:
In some cases its merely that the english voice acting is so terrible and without effort that the JP VA are preferred. If the English VA's are putting at least some real effort into voicing the characters, i'll prefer them usually since i don't speak japanese. Many dubbed roles for games early on, had TERRIBLE voice actors or barely passable which made the JP VA preferred. The emotions displayed don't require a mastery of the language to understand either, i.e. crying scenes.


This is true. With the Japanese ones, the vocational schools for it means that if someone at least passed the classes, there's at least a floor to how bad the quality can go.

Quote:

That being said... square has had a really good track record for voice acting overall. From final fantasy, down to kingdom hearts.

I know I don't have complaints about the English speaking voice actors used by SE, but I also know I've heard people complain about Vanille, Hope, Rikku and Tidus with the FF franchise in particular.
#25 Jul 29 2013 at 2:41 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,054 posts
Ravashack wrote:
For English-speaking voice actors, Claudia Black is great. Of course, she's a regular actress too, but I hear her in games quite a bit.

I could name a number of quality VAs that wouldn't be considered mainstream actors, either. As someone that yearns for the animation industry to pick up here in the States and be considered more than kiddy shows, the blanket assumption dubs suck is always annoying. This simply isn't the 80's anymore, let alone PS1 era gaming where half the time English voices were done terribly by JP VAs a la Star Ocean 2 or Symphony of the Night.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#26 Jul 29 2013 at 2:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,569 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
As matter of fact, almost all of them sound like a bad hentai video.
And you know this because...?

Quote:
What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe.
Try pitting Crispin Freeman against Hiiyama Nobuyuki. A guy that can't scream if it saved his life against the man that is capable of breaking microphones if he's not careful when he screams.
____________________________
Products of boredom: 1 2 3 4 5
Besieged
Hopes for FFXIV: Fencer | Red Mage
#27 Jul 29 2013 at 5:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
78 posts
I guess many people do have some bias towards JP voice acting (be it like that because of popularity of anime or whatever) and all things JP anyway.

I've heard some ridiculous JP voice acting aswell as english ones. Still if there is choice between good JP and good english voice acting I think I would go for english (that is if we can assume that lipsynch is perfect for either of these languages, I hate bad lipsynch). The reason I prefer english over japanese is that I can understand all the dialects better which make the game feel more alive for me.

Still, the main reasoning when choosing between english and japanese voice acting in games is the origin of the game basically. Listening english dub on a japanese game is stupid as the lipsynch usually is quite off and it really takes some "reality" away from the game.
#28 Jul 29 2013 at 5:42 AM Rating: Good
**
640 posts
Some dubbed anime series like Dominion Tank Police not only had the voices dubbed but also replaced most if not all of the music with Japanese lyrics in them.

Megaman 8 was soul crushing to hear the English voices. They were funny for all the wrong reasons and when you think about how rocking the soundtrack to most Megaman games are, the 8th incarnation breaks all immersion of Megaman being a badass. They did change his voice in later games so he now sounds okay.
#29 Jul 29 2013 at 6:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
You guys remind of this sometimes.

Screenshot
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#30 Jul 29 2013 at 7:44 AM Rating: Decent
******
48,477 posts
The only problem here is Square's archaic policy of not allowing an option to choose between original and dubbed voice acting like pretty much every other game in the past ten years.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#31 Jul 29 2013 at 9:59 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Ruisu wrote:


Quote:
What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe.
Try pitting Crispin Freeman against Hiiyama Nobuyuki. A guy that can't scream if it saved his life against the man that is capable of breaking microphones if he's not careful when he screams.


People like you are just proving my point for me. Thank you. If you are so biased that you wish to use some name I never heard of to make a point, you're obviously a JP fanboy and thus your opinion is meaningless.
#32 Jul 29 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ruisu wrote:


Quote:
What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe.
Try pitting Crispin Freeman against Hiiyama Nobuyuki. A guy that can't scream if it saved his life against the man that is capable of breaking microphones if he's not careful when he screams.


People like you are just proving my point for me. Thank you. If you are so biased that you wish to use some name I never heard of to make a point, you're obviously a JP fanboy and thus your opinion is meaningless.


Perhaps look up the actor before making sweeping generalizations? Freeman has been in a TON of well-known American VA. It has nothing to do with bias. There are some really great and some really not great JP VAs, and there are some really great and some really not great American VAs. Stop being such a xenophobe.
#33 Jul 29 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,649 posts
Shadowedge, have you been spending too much time on the Beta forums?

I know there are plenty of users there that slam the English VA due to the Crystal's Call trailer and are automatically going for Japanese VAs without giving the English VAs a chance, but there hasn't been anyone on this thread that has doing any of the sort.

As for the topic at hand, it's good that they're giving the option. I know a lot of people that just prefer Japanese VAs for multiple reasons, though I prefer to support my English voices, as long as they're good.
____________________________

#34 Jul 29 2013 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Ruisu wrote:


Quote:
What are implying here? JP voice actors are not as great as people like to believe.
Try pitting Crispin Freeman against Hiiyama Nobuyuki. A guy that can't scream if it saved his life against the man that is capable of breaking microphones if he's not careful when he screams.


People like you are just proving my point for me. Thank you. If you are so biased that you wish to use some name I never heard of to make a point, you're obviously a JP fanboy and thus your opinion is meaningless.


If your point is that you like to contradict yourself in the same thread and do zero research about what you're talking about, I think you've made that point quite clearly.





Seriha: I thought Symphony of the Night used English VAs for the English version? This doesn't sound like JP VAs. I can't comment on Star Ocean 2 because I've never played it.

Edit: Grammar typo.

Edited, Jul 29th 2013 12:22pm by Ravashack
#35 Jul 29 2013 at 10:54 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
BartelX wrote:


Perhaps look up the actor before making sweeping generalizations? Freeman has been in a TON of well-known American VA. It has nothing to do with bias. There are some really great and some really not great JP VAs, and there are some really great and some really not great American VAs. Stop being such a xenophobe.


Taking what I posted out of context doesn't make you right. I said it was nobody I ever heard of.... so how can I respond to that? How about picking someone like Nolan North, David Hayter, Kevin Conroy, Claudia Black, Dee Bradley Baker, Troy Baker, Tom Kane, Jennifer Hale,Tara Strong, Mark Hamil, Phil LaMarr or the voice God himself Frank Welker? My post had nothing to with being a xenophobe. It's ironic you call me that considering Japan(1% non JP) is the most notorious xenophobe country in the world.

Edited, Jul 29th 2013 11:55am by ShadowedgeFFXI
#36 Jul 29 2013 at 11:02 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
HeroMystic wrote:
Shadowedge, have you been spending too much time on the Beta forums?

I know there are plenty of users there that slam the English VA due to the Crystal's Call trailer and are automatically going for Japanese VAs without giving the English VAs a chance, but there hasn't been anyone on this thread that has doing any of the sort.

As for the topic at hand, it's good that they're giving the option. I know a lot of people that just prefer Japanese VAs for multiple reasons, though I prefer to support my English voices, as long as they're good.


Seriously, there are people that have a problem with that trailer? Please don't tell me they hated Cid's voice too? As for your question, yeah I've spent too much time listening to people berate English VO so it's annoying to me to hear people blatantly prefer JP actors when they can't even understand it. lol
#37 Jul 29 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,054 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Seriha: I thought Symphony of the Night used English VAs for the English version? This doesn't sound like JP VAs. I can't comment on Star Ocean 2 because I've never played it.

The version released in 2007 in the Dracula X Chronicles apparently used NA VAs, so I'd actually be interested to find that version to see if there is a difference. Otherwise, my claim was I'd been led to believe back in the day as a cost-saving measure employed by Konami. Nowadays, the career VAs tend to have studios in their own home, but others tend to have to get flown in to various locations. As an example of what I was implying, though, I can't speak Russian. Put someone in front of me who can with enough coaching, however, and I say a few lines, too. SoTN wasn't a line-heavy game, so instead of finding a bunch of NA VAs, they could've just done this for English with the JP VAs they did have. In turn, it could go a long way in explaining why it sounds so bad despite the cult-like adoration of the intro sequence. Personally, I like to think I have a good ear and recognize the more prominent NA VAs even if they use alternate voices. The tells are different for each actor, but in general I haven't recognized the SotN VAs in anything since. So, either they weren't hired for anything mainstream again or there's some merit to the coaching theory.

I'm also reminded of Valkyrie Profile, which does have some hilariously bad acting. What keeps it from SotN's accusation is the presence of VAs who did the early Pokemon. Lenneth was Officer Jenny if I remember right, and I think Brock voiced Lucian. Think Ash's VA did a mermaid or something, but it's been way too long.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#38 Jul 29 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,674 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Japan(1% non JP) is the most notorious xenophobe country in the world.


Oh man, buddy, you just need to stop. Like. Right now. Because if you think Japan is the most xenophobic country in the world, I got some pretty bad news for you and your very narrow view of ongoings in many other countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, and parts of the United States. Smiley: lol Here, let me school you on what xenophobia is really like:

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/05/13/xenophobia-greece
Human Rights Watch wrote:
Partly hidden within this turmoil is another crisis threatening to spin out of control – xenophobic violence against those migrants and asylum seekers in Athens and elsewhere. Mob violence against people from Afghanistan, North and sub-Saharan Africa is alarmingly commonplace, much of it going unrecorded.

[...]

Even more disturbing is that some politicians appear reluctant to act decisively on this issue for fear of a populist backlash from Golden Dawn. This has led to intense public hostility towards foreigners often going unchallenged. At a hearing in the Greek parliament in November at which we presented findings on xenophobic violence, one ruling party MP labelled foreigners coming to Greece as “cockroaches”.


I'm not saying Japan doesn't have its xenphobic tendencies. I've been there. Spent several months there teaching English. Saw plenty of what one would call 'naive racism'. But please, get over yourself if you believe it's 'the most notorious country in the world' when it comes to that issue. Last I checked, roaming violent protests towards foreigners are not a thing, nor are fringe political parties gaining clout simply because they cater to people who want to see outsiders either expelled or dead, legal immigrant or no.

Sorry for the off-topic tangent, folks. This sort of ignorance just tweaks me in the most unfathomable ways.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI Character(s)
Name: Satisiun
Server: Carbuncle (RIP Gilgamesh)
Jobs: 99DRG, 99PLD, 99RDM, 99WHM | Everything else: 50-60
~Retired.~

Final Fantasy XIV Character(s)
Name: Satisiun Desain
Server(s): Sargantas (primary)
DoW/DoM/DoH/DoL: 50
#39 Jul 29 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,477 posts
You're singling out bad, early generation voice acting and this isn't the example you used?

Better example.


Edited, Jul 29th 2013 2:13pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#40 Jul 29 2013 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Seriha wrote:
Ravashack wrote:
Seriha: I thought Symphony of the Night used English VAs for the English version? This doesn't sound like JP VAs. I can't comment on Star Ocean 2 because I've never played it.

The version released in 2007 in the Dracula X Chronicles apparently used NA VAs, so I'd actually be interested to find that version to see if there is a difference. Otherwise, my claim was I'd been led to believe back in the day as a cost-saving measure employed by Konami.
[...]


Whoever told you that about Symphony of the Night definitely lied to you, because it definitely had a full English speaking cast for the US version (the top half compared to the bottom half). I've played through the Playstation version and haven't heard anything that sounded like a coached JP voice actor talking.

As for comparison between that and the Dracula X Chronicle version, someone did put up a direct comparison between the intro and the "best" ending for both, so if that sates your curiosity...

(They're definitely VERY different, and it's not just because of the voice actors.)
#41 Jul 29 2013 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
You're singling out bad, early generation voice acting and this isn't the example you used?

Better example.


Edited, Jul 29th 2013 2:13pm by lolgaxe


Because you'd be too busy laughing at the comments to listen to the speech.
#42ShadowedgeFFXI, Posted: Jul 29 2013 at 12:45 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I don't agree that violence is required or needs to be the main catalyst for xenophobia, your opinion is ignorant. Sure there are those that take advantage of the economic situation to spew hatred like the Dawn Guard in Greece. That kind of stuff is politics though, nothing to do with how the average people feel about strangers whom don't belong.
#43 Jul 29 2013 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
68 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Satisiun wrote:
stuff...


I don't agree that violence is required or needs to be the main catalyst for xenophobia, your opinion is ignorant. Sure there are those that take advantage of the economic situation to spew hatred like the Dawn Guard in Greece. That kind of stuff is politics though, nothing to do with how the average people feel about strangers whom don't belong.

Honestly, this is about games so here's my example for that. If you can't play a **** game without hearing the phrase "JP Onry", that's pretty sad. There is no evidence to support any other country of being guilty of this, so now what?


There was a game called Knight Online many years ago. The English speaking player base refused to play with the Turkish. No different than the Japanese having a tendency to not play with English. It all came down to how one community perceived the other.

Personally, I can't speak a sentence in Japanese and I was in a JPN HNMLS back in FFXI. There is no fanboying here. Inglorious Bastards was a movie I enjoyed, partly because it presented itself with its native language to the region.
#44 Jul 29 2013 at 1:07 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
DRG wrote:


There was a game called Knight Online many years ago. The English speaking player base refused to play with the Turkish. No different than the Japanese having a tendency to not play with English. It all came down to how one community perceived the other.


What you conveniently left out was why they didn't want to play with the Turks. It wasn't because they were better or simple due to the language barrier. It was because like FFXI's gil sellers, these Turks were griefing people, hacking the game, and even killing off AFK players for lawlz.This isn't a simple playstyle difference, that's
total b.s. Context is key and leaving it out shows your bias.

Speaking of bias, here's this little gem.

DRG wrote:

Personally, I can't speak a sentence in Japanese and I was in a JPN HNMLS back in FFXI. There is no fanboying here. Inglorious Bastards was a movie I enjoyed, partly because it presented itself with its native language to the region.


I had many JP friends and good relations with the majority of them. However, there were JP players that were racist and xenophobic. I never once in all my years of FFXI did I ever see a person from Europe, Brazil, you name it say "my home country onry". So while many JP players were cool which I freely admit, there are so many cases that prove what I said to be true. By not admitting that, you're clearly showing bias.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 174 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (174)