Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

3 Cell Phone Apps To Accompany Official ReleaseFollow

#1 Jul 30 2013 at 4:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Translated Interview Link

Quote:
You said earlier that you plan a release of smartphone applications for A Realm Reborn. Can you tell us more about your programs about?

"Yes, we plan to deploy applications when they kick off the official service of the game. These applications are of three kinds: communication tools, database tools, and premium services for a fee.

Communication tools will allow you to control all kinds of detailed information about the player for both you and for friends, such as equipment, levels and free companies, etc.. Using this application you can exchange information with your mates, even when you are not connected to the game, and share e-mail about what kind of adventures you might encounter that evening, on the basis of the available data. The database tools are perfectly suited for the search for information about the items, quests, dungeons and monsters in the game. Provide a search function offline where you can search for the items you want and then find out which of these allow you to get those items, such as PNG and offer these missions, or if the item is a dungeon then dungeon in which you is the monster that has it, and so on.

Finally there are the premium services. The services offered by these applications will be expanded and updated, when the game will grow, and offer you the opportunity to participate in the game and perform certain tasks in the world ARR while you are not connected, say from school or work. Services include things like sell items at the market, buying items, transfer characters, etc.. We would like users to pay a small fee to be able to play when they are ahead of the game. "
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#2 Jul 30 2013 at 4:15 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
Sounds pretty cool, ill take a look when they come out!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#3 Jul 30 2013 at 4:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Quote:
"We would like users to pay a small fee to be able to play when they are ahead of the game. "


I hope this is just a bad translation it's borderline "Pay-To-Win" sounding.

____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#4 Jul 30 2013 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Quote:
"We would like users to pay a small fee to be able to play when they are ahead of the game. "


I hope this is just a bad translation it's borderline "Pay-To-Win" sounding.



I think there's two things here:

1. These services seem to me, to be like tablet and smartphone apps to supplement the game. Making the game more accessible when away from the computer. You will pay for an app that will allow you to do these features.

2. I think the word "ahead" above is a mistranslation and means "not around."
#5 Jul 30 2013 at 4:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,386 posts
Quote:
Services include things like sell items at the market, buying items, transfer characters, etc..


If THAT'S all it is, that's fine. There was a big hue and cry when Blizzard added something similar to their own mobile app. The end result was that very few people actually bought it.

I get concerned when SE and microtransactions come up in the same paragraph though, have to watch this closely.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#6 Jul 30 2013 at 4:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Quote:
"We would like users to pay a small fee to be able to play when they are ahead of the game. "


I hope this is just a bad translation it's borderline "Pay-To-Win" sounding.



It's probably bad use of idioms. None of those sound like Pay to Win subjects. Paying to log in to manage your character's sales and purchases when you're not in front of the computer is a pointless luxury for most hardcore players because they are already in front of their computers anyway. Character transfer is a standard "Premium Services" that's offered in MMOs, subscription or otherwise, as well. We would really need to see a complete list of services.
#7 Jul 30 2013 at 4:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.
#8 Jul 30 2013 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
49 posts
I wouldn't mind being able to gather from my phone, a similar interface to SWTOR Crew Skills window. No XP gain, just mats.
____________________________
FFXIV ARR Legacy Member
Tenro Matashi - Balmung Server
LS: BASF 2.0
#9 Jul 30 2013 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


I did this in Neverwinter, it was a cool feature. Let's hope SE goes that direction.
#10 Jul 30 2013 at 7:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


That would be awesome, get some digital work done from real work.
#11 Jul 30 2013 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#12 Jul 30 2013 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod

Or the salon, or grocery shopping, or wherever lol

Crafting, gardening, Chocobo rearing... {Can I have it?}
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#13 Jul 31 2013 at 7:53 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod


I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.
____________________________


#14 Jul 31 2013 at 8:11 AM Rating: Good
***
3,386 posts
reptiletim wrote:
I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.


That is one solid cell signal!
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#15 Jul 31 2013 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod


I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.


Wow, I'd be really curious to know how much data for his phone he used for that trip! Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#16 Jul 31 2013 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


I would love this! But when I mentioned this app stuff to my fiance yesterday she flipped out. She's like "You'd better not be using those apps while you're at work!"

I guess at the end of the day she's still a woman, and I'm very happy and lucky that I even got her interested in playing FFXIV with me... so I can't complain. Just in the future I have to be careful what I mention to her as being "exciting".... lol.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#17 Jul 31 2013 at 8:37 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
BartelX wrote:
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod


I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.


Wow, I'd be really curious to know how much data for his phone he used for that trip! Smiley: tongue


We actually tracked that. While I dont remember the exact number, it was really low, like in the hundreds of MB. Didn't make a dent in his 10GB cap.

We both have AT&T and both have Galaxy S4s. Around Slidell, Louisiana we got a Speedtest.net result of 56Mbs download while in 4G LTE, which is faster than our cable internet.


Edited, Jul 31st 2013 10:41am by reptiletim
____________________________


#18 Jul 31 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod


I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.


Wow, I'd be really curious to know how much data for his phone he used for that trip! Smiley: tongue


We actually tracked that. While I dont remember the exact number, it was really low, like in the hundreds of MB. Didn't make a dent in his 10GB cap.

We both have AT&T and both have Galaxy S4s. Around Slidell, Louisiana we got a Speedtest.net result of 56Mbs download while in 4G LTE, which is faster than our cable internet.


Edited, Jul 31st 2013 10:41am by reptiletim


Wow, that's absolutely amazing. I would have thought it would eat up way more data to use the phone as a hotspot. And good grief, that DL speed is faster than my cable internet too! Looks like it might be time for me to invest in a power inverter.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#19 Jul 31 2013 at 9:24 AM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
BartelX wrote:
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
reptiletim wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Gnu wrote:
Just one step closer to being able to Craft from your phone.


How awesome would that be?

"Oh, what's that honey? We have to go to your mom's for an 8 hour family reunion? No problem!" Smiley: nod


I recently had to make a trip from coastal Mississippi to middle Florida during one of the Phase 3 weekends.. My brother with me brought his laptop. We used a power inverter and tethered his phone for internet. He played FFXIV the entire way. We only had one drop in signal just after Tallahassee. He finished the available story on that trip, doing several runs of Ifrit helping others complete it. He used voice chat the whole way too. I was absolutely impressed by that, playing a full MMO while travelling down the interstate at 80+ mph across 3 states. Awesome stuff.


Wow, I'd be really curious to know how much data for his phone he used for that trip! Smiley: tongue


We actually tracked that. While I dont remember the exact number, it was really low, like in the hundreds of MB. Didn't make a dent in his 10GB cap.

We both have AT&T and both have Galaxy S4s. Around Slidell, Louisiana we got a Speedtest.net result of 56Mbs download while in 4G LTE, which is faster than our cable internet.


Edited, Jul 31st 2013 10:41am by reptiletim


Wow, that's absolutely amazing. I would have thought it would eat up way more data to use the phone as a hotspot. And good grief, that DL speed is faster than my cable internet too! Looks like it might be time for me to invest in a power inverter.


Make sure if you get one it can handle the voltage required. We burned up the one we had along the way, It overheated and started smoking a little before it started screaming at us with the "fault" light lit up.

I should add that after that trip the battery in the laptop has been reporting a problem, so take good care to get a quality inverter to reduce this risk. We don't really care, unplugged that battery would only last less than an hour anyway when gaming. It's a 4 year old ASUS Republic of Gamers laptop with an nvidia GTS 360m. I think it required 400volts or something.


Edited, Jul 31st 2013 11:29am by reptiletim
____________________________


Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 109 All times are in CDT
Fynlar, Anonymous Guests (108)