Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Hidden Secret In Benchmark Made Me Tingle!Follow

#1 Aug 01 2013 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
728 posts
OMFG! Watch the benchmark again! Close to the beginning of the second to last scene where people are fighting the treant (a few seconds before that) behind the chocobos and trees you will see something MASSIVELY AWESOME!

Better hints: It's after the 4th loading screen and in the Shroud, RIGHT after you see the Marlboro.

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:03pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#2 Aug 01 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
456 posts
please explain only have phone atm and it doesn't load videos to awful well....
____________________________
Moderator-75thf 75nin 75pld Hume
LS- WanderingTrupaTricks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Diabolos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mori Oni- 50MNK 20LNC 11GLD Miquote
LS- The Inner Circle
FC- Primal Bane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Ultros~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#3 Aug 01 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
728 posts
Mmoderator wrote:
please explain only have phone atm and it doesn't load videos to awful well....


I'll wait a minute, It would be much more amusing to me if someone else posts it first. :p
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#4 Aug 01 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
655 posts
just watched it twice and i dont see anything maybe post a screen shot?
#5 Aug 01 2013 at 12:04 PM Rating: Excellent
There's a giant Tortoise, and I mean giant. It almost looks like a mountain, till it starts moving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b721_9WPthU check around 3:05-3:07

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:05pm by Montsegurnephcreep

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:07pm by Montsegurnephcreep
____________________________

#6 Aug 01 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
There's a giant Tortoise, and I mean giant. It almost looks like a mountain, till it starts moving.



^This :D

All I saw the first time was it's head and it was nearly as big as the dragon. I'm really excited to see enemies this gigantic in game. I mean We saw some pretty big stuff in previous phases, but this just shows how huge they can really make stuff. XD

Doh, I suppose I could have just linked a video as well, guess I'm just in a "playing with the benchmark mood" today.

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:09pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#7 Aug 01 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#8 Aug 01 2013 at 12:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
728 posts
Seriha wrote:
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.


Lame x.x. Well I'm going to go sit in a corner and QQ.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#9 Aug 01 2013 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
I remember seeing that when the first benchmark was released and saying "Did that mountain just move?!"
#10 Aug 01 2013 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
The Giant Tortoise reminds me of the FFXIII-2 Tortoise that we hitched a ride on.


I see lots of dead people!!

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:38pm by Grandmomma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#11 Aug 01 2013 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
**
863 posts
Seriha wrote:
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.


I believe he also said that it might appear if enough people say they want it or something along those line. So one can always hope.
#12 Aug 01 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
153 posts
Seriha wrote:
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.



If that's what you thought when I in particular was mentioning world bosses, then we weren't on the same page. I certainly didn't have mega-bosses like that in mind, I was thinking more along the lines of HNM type monsters (without the 24 hour camp times.) Bosses that anyone could claim... not just those living on their computer.

Additionally, how could you NOT want something that awesome in the game?
#13 Aug 01 2013 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
The Giant Tortoise reminds me of the FFXIII-2 Tortoise that we hitched a ride on.
Edited, Aug 1st 2013 2:38pm by Grandmomma


That's what I was thinking too...

Edited, Aug 1st 2013 3:28pm by Hairspray
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#14 Aug 01 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Reminds me of the Adamantoises you saw in FFXIII Archylte Steppe of Gran Pulse, or the feeling I got the first time I saw Titan towering over Gran Pulse.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#15 Aug 01 2013 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
751 posts
Pretty sure that Yoshi-P said that whilst there are none of this size enemies in the game as yet, the engine will enable them so SE have lots of plans for large enemies in future - "please look forward to it".
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#16 Aug 01 2013 at 8:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
197 posts
Nice find. My attention was always drawn at that point to the cactuar running at your feet - it's animation just splits me up every time!
#17 Aug 01 2013 at 8:41 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
Seriha wrote:
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.


If mob models got the same treatment player models did in terms of AoE damage effects, you'd have to climb down it's throat to damage it Smiley: lol
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#18 Aug 01 2013 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
The running cactuar gets me every time, looks like he's burning carbs.
____________________________





#19 Aug 01 2013 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
I noticed the running cactuar the second time I ran the benchmark, he was hauling....well you know. The giant turtle reminds me of the point that Yoshi-P made, in one of the live letters I believe, where he was talking about fighting say a behemoth in a fate where everyone would attack a small piece of the creature one at a time. I can totally see a bunch of people riding around on that giant turtle trying to take it down. On a side note it would make a sweet mount.


Edited, Aug 1st 2013 11:45pm by PyrielDD
____________________________
#20 Aug 01 2013 at 11:13 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
ClydesShadow wrote:
Seriha wrote:
Took a screenshot.

Basically a giant adamantoise. It was seen in the past benchmark, but I think Yoshi mentioned in an interview that something to that scale wouldn't actually be in the game. So perhaps a dash to those hoping for world bosses.



If that's what you thought when I in particular was mentioning world bosses, then we weren't on the same page. I certainly didn't have mega-bosses like that in mind, I was thinking more along the lines of HNM type monsters (without the 24 hour camp times.) Bosses that anyone could claim... not just those living on their computer.

Additionally, how could you NOT want something that awesome in the game?

I'm for big enemies, but if perspective is properly considered, running a circle around such a mob would probably take a couple minutes. So, while I could see a fight like this where its broken into 5 targets (4 legs you have to take down before the head), I'm not sure colossus-type mobs work well in the MMO genre. From there, let's realistically consider what kind of attacks a mob of this size would pull off. The legs would assuredly be limited to directional kicks and AoE stomps. Head could have head butts, bites, and probably some breath attacks given this is a model rip from XI. Could maybe have an attack where its head/legs retract and it does a spin in its shell, but in general, scale and our own perspective would have us "too close" to really in take in the potential visceral majesty. Finally, there's just a matter of where you'd put such giant things alongside potential immersion issues. It'd almost be like putting a whale in a tank just barely bigger than the whale in a lot of cases without the zone being solely designed for this encounter first.

In the end, I think mobs of Ifrit's scale (I think that's Ifrit in the benchmark) should be the general limit. Again, I'm not against larger segmented fights, but introducing some means to accelerate movement while participating would be a definite plus. My knock on this as a not-world-spawn was because it was simply free roaming alongside Yoshi's past comment and I have no doubt come launch you'll see people asking where the giant turtle is even though the benchmark ripped various assets that wouldn't normally be in a specific location just to offer a bit of pizzazz. And now that I think about it, the potential Bahamut fight may resemble some of the encounters with dragons from GW2 (which will be bigger than Ifrit). I just hope SE does 'em better.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#21 Aug 01 2013 at 11:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
Pretty sure that Yoshi-P said that whilst there are none of this size enemies in the game as yet, the engine will enable them so SE have lots of plans for large enemies in future - "please look forward to it".


I surely hope so. I hate to say this again, but "WoW has it, so why not XIV?". Why is it such a big deal to toss in huge HNM world bosses?

If you'd like, please check out this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT57UrqQHRk

This is the kind of sh*t I want to see in XIV. They may not be able to create something that requires 100+ people because of the graphic level of ARR, but they could do something that requires 30-40 people.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2013 1:23am by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#22 Aug 02 2013 at 12:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
Transmigration wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
Pretty sure that Yoshi-P said that whilst there are none of this size enemies in the game as yet, the engine will enable them so SE have lots of plans for large enemies in future - "please look forward to it".


I surely hope so. I hate to say this again, but "WoW has it, so why not XIV?". Why is it such a big deal to toss in huge HNM world bosses?

If you'd like, please check out this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT57UrqQHRk

This is the kind of sh*t I want to see in XIV. They may not be able to create something that requires 100+ people because of the graphic level of ARR, but they could do something that requires 30-40 people.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2013 1:23am by Transmigration


That battle did look pretty epic.

I am not insulted WOW here so please don't take it that way (I played and enjoyed WOW for a long time) but after playing ARR, and then going back to WOW and watching that you realise how dated the graphics are. Not that graphics are all that matter but WOW is looking in serious need of a major graphical overhaul. Are there any plans to re-release or are Blizzard instead focussing on their new MMO?

(sorry - I know, off topic).
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#23 Aug 02 2013 at 12:32 AM Rating: Good
Not the Giant Turtle but I did notice the character you make in the character creator shows up in the Benchmark.

Thought it was a fluke but until my wife created a character and tried it out.

Neat to see your own character in action.
#24 Aug 02 2013 at 12:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
751 posts
DownWithTheSickness wrote:
Not the Giant Turtle but I did notice the character you make in the character creator shows up in the Benchmark.

Thought it was a fluke but until my wife created a character and tried it out.

Neat to see your own character in action.


Yeah, I really liked that. Your character takes the PLD role in the party throughout the benchmark. It think it is so you can see what the character will actually look like in game to make sure you are completely happy before committing on launch (or in beta 4).
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#25 Aug 02 2013 at 7:36 AM Rating: Excellent
HallieXIV wrote:
DownWithTheSickness wrote:
Not the Giant Turtle but I did notice the character you make in the character creator shows up in the Benchmark.

Thought it was a fluke but until my wife created a character and tried it out.

Neat to see your own character in action.


Yeah, I really liked that. Your character takes the PLD role in the party throughout the benchmark. It think it is so you can see what the character will actually look like in game to make sure you are completely happy before committing on launch (or in beta 4).


I created a lalafell. During the part of the benchmark at the aetheryte in Gridania when everyone is standing around talking the camera actually panned lower when it moved across my character to fully see her, very neat Smiley: grin
#26 Aug 02 2013 at 7:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I noticed that myself.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#27 Aug 02 2013 at 7:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Transmigration wrote:
[quote=HallieXIV]

If you'd like, please check out this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT57UrqQHRk

This is the kind of sh*t I want to see in XIV. They may not be able to create something that requires 100+ people because of the graphic level of ARR, but they could do something that requires 30-40 people.

Edited, Aug 2nd 2013 1:23am by Transmigration


From the benchmark, the turtle looks about 10 times bigger than Oondasta (or the giant Dinosaur from Wow, however you spell the name). It would literally take up a tenth of the map and crush environments (let it roam in a "Red Faction" type environment and you would be left with no trees). In an unrealistic world destruction environment (as is likely to occur, where trees don't get permanently chopped down) at least expect some clipping where trees show up through the shell (also assuming that the tortoise would be in a forest as it was in the benchmark). Needless to say the developers would have some things to consider. There is always room for it to be in an expansion. remember how Vanilla FFXI was before Rise of the Zilart? That is where we begin.

____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#28 Aug 02 2013 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,072 posts
Valkayree wrote:
From the benchmark, the turtle looks about 10 times bigger than Oondasta (or the giant Dinosaur from Wow, however you spell the name). It would literally take up a tenth of the map and crush environments (let it roam in a "Red Faction" type environment and you would be left with no trees). In an unrealistic world destruction environment (as is likely to occur, where trees don't get permanently chopped down) at least expect some clipping where trees show up through the shell (also assuming that the tortoise would be in a forest as it was in the benchmark). Needless to say the developers would have some things to consider. There is always room for it to be in an expansion. remember how Vanilla FFXI was before Rise of the Zilart? That is where we begin.

While I couldn't pull a precise number since the perspective of my screenshot lacks a potential variable for calculations, if we assume the girlka in the foreground is 6ft tall, the head of the adamantoise is at least 4x bigger in height. What I ultimately need is to establish the plane it's standing on since the hill sloping off could create an indefinite space if it's large enough. Perhaps I could extrapolate a distance if I slow-mo'd through a recording referencing object distances prior, but... yeah.
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#29 Aug 02 2013 at 8:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Seriha wrote:
Valkayree wrote:
From the benchmark, the turtle looks about 10 times bigger than Oondasta (or the giant Dinosaur from Wow, however you spell the name). It would literally take up a tenth of the map and crush environments (let it roam in a "Red Faction" type environment and you would be left with no trees). In an unrealistic world destruction environment (as is likely to occur, where trees don't get permanently chopped down) at least expect some clipping where trees show up through the shell (also assuming that the tortoise would be in a forest as it was in the benchmark). Needless to say the developers would have some things to consider. There is always room for it to be in an expansion. remember how Vanilla FFXI was before Rise of the Zilart? That is where we begin.

While I couldn't pull a precise number since the perspective of my screenshot lacks a potential variable for calculations, if we assume the girlka in the foreground is 6ft tall, the head of the adamantoise is at least 4x bigger in height. What I ultimately need is to establish the plane it's standing on since the hill sloping off could create an indefinite space if it's large enough. Perhaps I could extrapolate a distance if I slow-mo'd through a recording referencing object distances prior, but... yeah.


The 1-2 seconds he is on the screen does not yield much room for extrapolation. And the trees could be redwoods.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#30 Aug 02 2013 at 7:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
47 posts
Seriha wrote:
What I ultimately need is to establish the plane it's standing on


Just look at where it is. They pass Galvanth's spire, running down the road towards the tam-tara deepcroft.

The tortoise is basically walking on top of Bentbranch.
#31 Aug 03 2013 at 4:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Transmigration wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
Pretty sure that Yoshi-P said that whilst there are none of this size enemies in the game as yet, the engine will enable them so SE have lots of plans for large enemies in future - "please look forward to it".


I surely hope so. I hate to say this again, but "WoW has it, so why not XIV?". Why is it such a big deal to toss in huge HNM world bosses?


Well for one thing, WoW's world bosses have generally been huge failures in terms of how many people encounter them vs effort to create them.

Other than that I think the question was already answered in thorough detail.
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (72)