Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

PS3 Graphics Follow

#52 Aug 12 2013 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Killua125 wrote:
For me I just can't see the PS3 version being worth $. Maybe if it was a free PSN download and then you pay a sub to keep it going. But I can't really see a game like that actually being on a box at Gamestop. Too many technical problems. It's very obvious that ARR shouldn't be on the PS3. They should have waited for the PS4.

This is just my opinion and I see some people in this thread are fine with the PS3 version.


No offense, but you're wrong about the PS3 version. The reason you're wrong is because the game runs very well for a PS3 game. Now if you're one of the people that's unsatisfied with PS3 games(in general) at this point, I can see why you would have this opinion. I play a lot of PS3 games so this is me talking from experience. If you examine the difference between FFX(PS2) and FFXI(PS2), you can instantly see a huge difference. However if you compare FFXIII to FFXIV on PS3, the difference is much less.

The draw in distance, texture popping, 720P, longer loading(5200 HDD) times are all par for the course on the PS3. These aren't technical problems though, these are limitations of the old hardware. I agree that the PS4 version will be superior, however if people have to choose from buying(upgrading) their PC to play FFXIV or wait until at least Spring 2014, I think you see why people are starting on the PS3. Most people will eventually upgrade to the PS4 version and unlike FFXI, there will be an upgraded console version to pick up. So there isn't any reason to feel the PS3 will hold back the game any. That's why they released it.
#53 Aug 12 2013 at 12:17 PM Rating: Decent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JQ87KtH1G8 Here is a video comparing the both exploring different areas. Really the only difference in the 2 is the PC version has a little more definition and color to it. I also watched this on my PS3 on the youtube app on a HDTV42" w/ HDMI cable on the highest resolution. It names the version on the right corner as u watch the vid.


Edited, Aug 12th 2013 2:18pm by Galkawarriorelite
#54 Aug 12 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
For me I just can't see the PS3 version being worth $. Maybe if it was a free PSN download and then you pay a sub to keep it going. But I can't really see a game like that actually being on a box at Gamestop. Too many technical problems. It's very obvious that ARR shouldn't be on the PS3. They should have waited for the PS4.

This is just my opinion and I see some people in this thread are fine with the PS3 version.


No offense, but you're wrong about the PS3 version. The reason you're wrong is because the game runs very well for a PS3 game. Now if you're one of the people that's unsatisfied with PS3 games(in general) at this point, I can see why you would have this opinion. I play a lot of PS3 games so this is me talking from experience. If you examine the difference between FFX(PS2) and FFXI(PS2), you can instantly see a huge difference. However if you compare FFXIII to FFXIV on PS3, the difference is much less.

The draw in distance, texture popping, 720P, longer loading(5200 HDD) times are all par for the course on the PS3. These aren't technical problems though, these are limitations of the old hardware. I agree that the PS4 version will be superior, however if people have to choose from buying(upgrading) their PC to play FFXIV or wait until at least Spring 2014, I think you see why people are starting on the PS3. Most people will eventually upgrade to the PS4 version and unlike FFXI, there will be an upgraded console version to pick up. So there isn't any reason to feel the PS3 will hold back the game any. That's why they released it.


I would add that switching the default PS3 hard drive to a solid state drive (aka SSD) is quick and easy and not that expensive as long as you keep the disk space reasonable (I got a 320 gb cheap, and I doubt I'll ever max it out). For games that hit the disk a lot, as FFXIV is sure to, it makes a substantial difference. At least that's one problem that can be solved.
#55 Aug 13 2013 at 4:41 AM Rating: Default
****
4,134 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
The draw in distance, texture popping, 720P, longer loading(5200 HDD) times are all par for the course on the PS3. These aren't technical problems though, these are limitations of the old hardware. I agree that the PS4 version will be superior, however if people have to choose from buying(upgrading) their PC to play FFXIV or wait until at least Spring 2014, I think you see why people are starting on the PS3. Most people will eventually upgrade to the PS4 version and unlike FFXI, there will be an upgraded console version to pick up. So there isn't any reason to feel the PS3 will hold back the game any. That's why they released it.

I don't see the PS4 version being much of an upgrade though. If better hardware meant better performance, why is the PC version nerfed? I mean, it still remains to be see what options will be in at launch or when DX11 hits, but I don't imagine they'll ever have PC and PS4 versions on par with what they're capable of. They've either done a good job with the PS3 or a poor job with the PC version.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#56 Aug 13 2013 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

I don't see the PS4 version being much of an upgrade though. If better hardware meant better performance, why is the PC version nerfed? I mean, it still remains to be see what options will be in at launch or when DX11 hits, but I don't imagine they'll ever have PC and PS4 versions on par with what they're capable of. They've either done a good job with the PS3 or a poor job with the PC version.


I'm not that familiar with the PC version so I can't really comment there. The PS4 will be an upgrade because of the limitations of the PS3 hardware. 512MB compared to 8GB. A faster HDD(better loading), more power(more onscreen players/npcs), 1080P graphics and so forth. Maybe you're not impressed with the PC version, but the PS4 version should improve the experience for console players.

Although I plan to upgrade to the PS4 version, I enjoy the PS3 version so far. My plan has always been to get the goodies of the pre-order for the PS3 and then switch to PS4 when the times comes. The loading time is the only thing that really bugs me now. The lag is non existent for me. I feel SE did a wonderful job on creating the game for the PS3 within the limitations of the hardware.
#57 Aug 13 2013 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I let my g/f borrow my PS3 so that she could play in Phase 3 until I could order and build her PC. The graphics weren't that bad compared to the PC version, however a lot of the options just weren't there in the graphics setting, such as resolution. This led to a very oversized UI but that will be fixed with UI scaling at launch.

The biggest thing I noticed about the PS3 version however was the framerate. The framerate was absolutely abysmal compared to the PC version. With only a few people/mobs around the PS3 had to only be getting 20 or less FPS. Hopefully they have streamlined it since P3 because I don't think the system could handle 24 mans very well.

Also, if anyone's planning on getting a PS4 primarily for this game I would suggest just building your own PC for $1000. I'd get one anyway after all the garbage they tried to pull with their system announcements.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 1:23pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#58 Aug 13 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
Hopefully they have streamlined it since P3 because I don't think the system could handle 24 mans very well.


I could see this being a significant concern.
#59 Aug 13 2013 at 12:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
DamienSScott wrote:

Also, if anyone's planning on getting a PS4 primarily for this game I would suggest just building your own PC for $1000. I'd get one anyway after all the garbage they tried to pull with their system announcements.



Are you confusing the PS4 with the Xbox One? I think so because the PS4 has done everything right so far. It was the PS3 that did everything wrong at launch.

Anyways, I think you're opinion about the PS3 version isn't fair. It's like watching TV on 1080P and then going back and watching TV on SD. Of course SD can't compete, but you don't know that if you're accustomed to certain standards. I have no doubt the PC version is superior, but the question should be is the game playable on the PS3? That answer is yes.

I'd also argue that you shouldn't spend $1,000 on a PC just for one game. Most people already have a PC so buying another rig just to play FFXIV isn't that smart either. The excuse you do a lot more with a PC isn't valid here because again most people have a PC already, they just can't run the game. If a person buys the PS4, they probably intend to play more games on the platform.

The bottom line for players who want to play on the PS3 is this. If you're satisfied with your PS3 and the way it plays normal games, you won't be disappointed by FFXIV. The graphics are slightly better than most PS3 games too. All the gripes mentioned by people in this thread are nothing new for PS3 games. If you're a PC gamer, you're going to be disappointed with the PS3 version so you should stick with the PC version.
#60 Aug 13 2013 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:

Also, if anyone's planning on getting a PS4 primarily for this game I would suggest just building your own PC for $1000. I'd get one anyway after all the garbage they tried to pull with their system announcements.



Are you confusing the PS4 with the Xbox One? I think so because the PS4 has done everything right so far. It was the PS3 that did everything wrong at launch.


The PS4 didn't really get the scrutiny it deserved on account that the Xbox One reveal couldn't have turned out worse if they murdered a box full of kittens as an encore. But their changes to PSN are significant to their existing customers who up till now have enjoyed those services for free (although it will still end up less expensive than a Gold account on Xbox Live). There's also the issue of ending reverse compatibility and what that means for customers who hoped to enjoy their purchases long after the PS3 kicked off into retirement. Most of what Sony did right was to keep quiet about these changes while their competition stuffed explosives up their **** and set them off for all to see.
#61 Aug 13 2013 at 12:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
19 posts
I am extremely looking forward to the DX11 update, I REALLY hope they keep that as a high priority and get it delivered asap! The side by sides of PS3 to PC might get a bit more drastic at that point until the PS4 version is out.
#62 Aug 13 2013 at 12:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Xoie wrote:

The PS4 didn't really get the scrutiny it deserved on account that the Xbox One reveal couldn't have turned out worse if they murdered a box full of kittens as an encore. But their changes to PSN are significant to their existing customers who up till now have enjoyed those services for free (although it will still end up less expensive than a Gold account on Xbox Live). There's also the issue of ending reverse compatibility and what that means for customers who hoped to enjoy their purchases long after the PS3 kicked off into retirement. Most of what Sony did right was to keep quiet about these changes while their competition stuffed explosives up their **** and set them off for all to see.


I don't agree at all. The PSN Plus has such a high subscriber base because it's the best value for gamers in the industry. Right now, Sony is offering Hitman Absolution, Saints Row 3, Uncharted 3 and a lot more absolutely free. All the other freebies and discounts on pre-orders is pure win. People that don't sign up for Plus are actually losing money. You'll still have some online functionality like recording game footage with the Share button without paying for Plus. All those indie games shown off by Sony at the press conference are also coming to players free of charge with PLUS. I don't see much negative to speak of here.

The reverse compatibility issue was expected due to the lack of the Cell processor. Gaikai should be able to emulate games streaming them to your PSN account. I don't think this will be a huge issue down the road.

You can't please everyone and I've tried to honestly be objective to the concerns of people whom disagreed with me on the PS4. I do know that FFXIV won't require PSN Plus to run the game. The same deal that Xbox/SE used during the FFXI 360 game is more or less how it will work. It all boils down to your preference of playing either the PC or the consoles.
#63 Aug 13 2013 at 1:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
What Xoie said XD. The PS4 has some pretty craptastic features or lack thereof that are all pretty much a money grab. "Our big selling point is a share button right on the controller!" Joy, now we will have 50 million more pointless videos of some kid teabagging someone in CoD.

I never actually bought a system from this current gen (I'm "borrowing" my friend's PS3 that sounds like a jet engine) and I certainly won't be buying one from next gen. I'll be sticking to my PS1/PS2 for all of my gaming needs beyond what i can play on the PC. It isn't like anything exclusive and truly worth it has come out for a system since then anyway.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:03pm by DamienSScott
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#64 Aug 13 2013 at 1:09 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Xoie wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
DamienSScott wrote:

Also, if anyone's planning on getting a PS4 primarily for this game I would suggest just building your own PC for $1000. I'd get one anyway after all the garbage they tried to pull with their system announcements.



Are you confusing the PS4 with the Xbox One? I think so because the PS4 has done everything right so far. It was the PS3 that did everything wrong at launch.


The PS4 didn't really get the scrutiny it deserved on account that the Xbox One reveal couldn't have turned out worse if they murdered a box full of kittens as an encore. But their changes to PSN are significant to their existing customers who up till now have enjoyed those services for free (although it will still end up less expensive than a Gold account on Xbox Live). There's also the issue of ending reverse compatibility and what that means for customers who hoped to enjoy their purchases long after the PS3 kicked off into retirement. Most of what Sony did right was to keep quiet about these changes while their competition stuffed explosives up their **** and set them off for all to see.


I agree that is a biggie... All the Sony fanboys who put MS down for charging for live some how have justified it is good when Sony does it though... LOL

The good news as I understand it you do not have to pay for FFXIV to be played online though.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:09pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#65 Aug 13 2013 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Nashred wrote:


I agree that is a biggie... All the Sony fanboys who put MS down for charging for live some how have justified it is good when Sony does it though... LOL


It's not the same thing. One service offers several benefits for paying other than the ability to go online and the latter makes you pay an arm and a leg just to be competitive on an online game. This isn't about fanboys, this is about dollars and cents. One is a true value while the latter is a ripoff.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 2:23pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#66 Aug 13 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
I think the way it should work is that companies should be competing to give me a better value for my money.

What truly bothers me is that this generation of consoles looks to be about who is going to take the least away from me. Ultimately, the loser of the console war this time around are the gamers themselves.
#67 Aug 13 2013 at 1:31 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:


I agree that is a biggie... All the Sony fanboys who put MS down for charging for live some how have justified it is good when Sony does it though... LOL


It's not the same thing. One service offers several benefits for paying other than the ability to go online and the latter makes you pay an arm and a leg just to be competitive on an online game. This isn't about fanboys, this is about dollars and cents. One is a true value while the latter is a ripoff.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 2:23pm by ShadowedgeFFXI



What are you talking about?.. MS charged for xbox live. For years Sony fanboys bashed Live for being pay.
Now Sony is going to charge for the exact same thing. It has been free it is no longer going to be free. They both offer free games now. There is no difference except xbox live is actually a good service and the only thing ms has done right. live have ability to chat not just in-game chat is which is a good feature, something Sony has not figured out.
We would not have to worry about the developers putting in-game chat for FFXIV because it is not needed on the xbox.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:35pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#68 Aug 13 2013 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Xoie wrote:
I think the way it should work is that companies should be competing to give me a better value for my money.

What truly bothers me is that this generation of consoles looks to be about who is going to take the least away from me. Ultimately, the loser of the console war this time around are the gamers themselves.


With the increase in console prices and paying to have to play online pc gaming will pick up. The gap narrows in cost especially as the console ages and becomes about the same speed as a mid or lower pc..

I have owned 3 xboxes, 1 ps2 and had two preorders on PS4... I dropped it down too one PS4 because I might pick a gaming PC instead latter to play FFXIV. I am tired of this console crap.






Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:40pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#69 Aug 13 2013 at 1:39 PM Rating: Excellent
*
180 posts
I have to agree with ShadowEdge on this debate.

I have a 6 year old PS3 fat model. It used to be only 60GB but since I have upgraded just the harddrive (for only $50 CAD) it is now 300GB. It still plays PS3 games now just as well as it used to back when I purchased it - it has stood the test of time.

I have a 4 year old laptop. I used to be able to play up to date games on it. Mind you it was mostly purchased to get me through university, but it is already too old and too far behind to be able to play 90% of big games released these days.

So, in my case, it just doesn't make sense to purchase a new computer. I have one that works and is just fine for all of my usual PC needs. I have a PS3 console for all of my gaming needs. It will play FFXIV just as well as it plays all my other PS3 games, no less. When I eventually want to make the leap up to the PS4 I can guarantee that I will buy the upgraded console versino of FFVIX as well.

Quote:
I'll be sticking to my PS1/PS2 for all of my gaming needs beyond what i can play on the PC. It isn't like anything exclusive and truly worth it has come out for a system since then anyway.


While this statement may be true, the reverse is also true. There hasn't really been much in the way of exclusives for the PC in a while, at least not many games that have captured my interest. Especially considering one of the big ones (Diablo 3) is coming to the PS3 very soon.

Also, PS+ is worth the (roughly) $50/year and then some. Easily in the past year I have downloaded over $300 worth of free games for my $50 entry fee off of PSN. All XBL Gold gives you is online access.
____________________________
Kezia Canadensis
Ultros
TKC <ZAM>
#70 Aug 13 2013 at 1:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Canadensis wrote:
I have to agree with ShadowEdge on this debate.


Also, PS+ is worth the (roughly) $50/year and then some. Easily in the past year I have downloaded over $300 worth of free games for my $50 entry fee off of PSN. All XBL Gold gives you is online access.


Been a while since you played on xbox live. They give away free games now too..
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#71 Aug 13 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nashred wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:


I agree that is a biggie... All the Sony fanboys who put MS down for charging for live some how have justified it is good when Sony does it though... LOL


It's not the same thing. One service offers several benefits for paying other than the ability to go online and the latter makes you pay an arm and a leg just to be competitive on an online game. This isn't about fanboys, this is about dollars and cents. One is a true value while the latter is a ripoff.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 2:23pm by ShadowedgeFFXI



What are you talking about?.. MS charged for xbox live. For years Sony fanboys bashed Live for being pay.
Now Sony is going to charge for the exact same thing. It has been free it is no longer going to be free. They both offer free games now. There is no difference except xbox live is actually a good service and the only thing ms has done right. live have ability to chat not just in-game chat is which is a good feature, something Sony has not figured out.
We would not have to worry about the developers putting in-game chat for FFXIV because it is not needed on the xbox.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:35pm by Nashred


Plus is only required for online play and you get free games, online saves, and more. Netflix and other services don't require Plus, while they require Gold on Xbox. I'm guessing that is what is beign referred to.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#72 Aug 13 2013 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Nashred wrote:

With the increase in console prices and paying to have to play online pc gaming will pick up. The gap narrows in cost especially as the console ages and becomes about the same speed as a mid or lower pc..


That's where the secret weapon by Sony comes into play. The future of gaming isn't on the PC as even those specs are diminishing. The future is cloud gaming which streams game data over the internet and using the input device(IE PS4) as a conduit for playing awesome games. I really shouldn't be talking about it, but this is my field and there is a reason Sony bought Gaikai. I'm just tired of hearing that consoles are outdated when cloud streaming will be the end of the PC advantage. By 3-4 years, Sony will be impressing people more than thought possible.
#73 Aug 13 2013 at 1:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*
180 posts
Quote:
Been a while since you played on xbox live. They give away free games now too..


It has been a while, and I actually forgot that they added this, read something about it a while ago. I would go out on a limb though and still mention that the games you have been given free access to on XBL do not compare in quality nor quantity to the games we have received through PS+ (which by the way has been giving away free stuff for YEARS). Also, it should be mentioned that $50 not only covers you for free PS3 games, it also nets you free PSVita games as well.

Quote:
Plus is only required for online play and you get free games, online saves, and more. Netflix and other services don't require Plus, while they require Gold on Xbox. I'm guessing that is what is beign referred to.


Very good point.
____________________________
Kezia Canadensis
Ultros
TKC <ZAM>
#74 Aug 13 2013 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Wint wrote:
Nashred wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:


I agree that is a biggie... All the Sony fanboys who put MS down for charging for live some how have justified it is good when Sony does it though... LOL


It's not the same thing. One service offers several benefits for paying other than the ability to go online and the latter makes you pay an arm and a leg just to be competitive on an online game. This isn't about fanboys, this is about dollars and cents. One is a true value while the latter is a ripoff.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 2:23pm by ShadowedgeFFXI



What are you talking about?.. MS charged for xbox live. For years Sony fanboys bashed Live for being pay.
Now Sony is going to charge for the exact same thing. It has been free it is no longer going to be free. They both offer free games now. There is no difference except xbox live is actually a good service and the only thing ms has done right. live have ability to chat not just in-game chat is which is a good feature, something Sony has not figured out.
We would not have to worry about the developers putting in-game chat for FFXIV because it is not needed on the xbox.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:35pm by Nashred


Plus is only required for online play and you get free games, online saves, and more. Netflix and other services don't require Plus, while they require Gold on Xbox. I'm guessing that is what is beign referred to.


Again MS has changed that.. They now give away free games, cloud saves etc. I just d/l free kinect games for free .
People really think MS would not start to do the same..
I do believe you still need gold for netflix though. Matter of fact whole games will be able to be saved not just games saves.
Xbox live is far Superior in this department I have both. Party chat, video chat better interface etc.





Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:55pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#75 Aug 13 2013 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Yeah but it's on an Xbox Smiley: tongue

The controller alone makes me feel sticky.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#76 Aug 13 2013 at 2:01 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Nashred wrote:

Again MS has changed that.. They now give away free games, cloud saves etc. I just d/l free kinect games for free .
People really think MS would not start to do the same..
I do believe you still need gold for netflix though. Matter of fact whole games will be able to be saved not just games saves.
Xbox live is far Superior in this department I have both. Party chat, video chat better interface etc.


Does anybody find it ironic that Nashred is quick to point out the changes Xbox Live has made, but yet somehow forgets that the PS4 is offering Cross Chat and other features at launch? This is the second time now he talks about voice chat.
#77 Aug 13 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:

Again MS has changed that.. They now give away free games, cloud saves etc. I just d/l free kinect games for free .
People really think MS would not start to do the same..
I do believe you still need gold for netflix though. Matter of fact whole games will be able to be saved not just games saves.
Xbox live is far Superior in this department I have both. Party chat, video chat better interface etc.


Does anybody find it ironic that Nashred is quick to point out the changes Xbox Live has made, but yet somehow forgets that the PS4 is offering Cross Chat and other features at launch? This is the second time now he talks about voice chat.


Omg keep an open mind and quit trying to read between the lines... All I am saying is fanboys bashed MS and now that Sony does the same it is ok. I don't even have a Xbox anymore, I traded them on a PS4 preorder. I still own a ps3 for FFXIV. I am not a Fanboy, I am a gamer and dislike MS as a company, Balmer is a moron. I just think Xbox live is Better. Sony may catch up but right now they have not.



Wint I like the Xbox controller better.. I use it on my gaming laptop for FFXIV.



Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#78 Aug 13 2013 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
377 posts
One of the things that everyone is forgetting to point out is that the PS+ is still optional and the PSN is free to use. Now to be fair, Sony did say that for online play that users would be required to have PS+ but they have since reneged on that due to a reation similar to the one that MS got for thier initial DRM policies. On top of that, PS+ won't be required for all online play, MMOs in particular like FFXIV ARR for example or TES, because they felt it would be unfair to have people get charged twice to play a game. As someone who never does online multiplayer because I don't like it (with the excption of Dark Souls but it is on the PS3 so I'm safe) then this is going to have a minimal impact on me.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#79 Aug 13 2013 at 2:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
princessary wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
There is a huge difference in graphics quality between PS3 and a good PC running on max.

And there is your problem right there, compair the 2 on the mid-range settings.

[quote=HallieXIV]



Thanks for your considered response to my post but I rather think you missed my point - perhaps I wasn't very clear.

The purpose of my post was to provide some of my thoughts on the graphical differences between the two formats in my experience playing the game on each. The opinions are obviously just that - opinions.

There is no problem in comparing my experience on max settings on PC with the PS3 settings - when comparing my experience why would I deliberately restrict the capabilities of one of the formats to make it the same as the other when I am trying to see which might be better to play.The rest of your analysis seems to be agreeing with me. The PC version has considerably better graphics than the PS3. As for the passive aggressive comments regarding changing my colour settings on my TV - I am well aware of how to do so - my original comments still stand.

This game is graphically far ahead of any other MMO I have seen (in my opinion) but there is a gulf in quality between the PS3 and PC which is, of course, as a result of the relative specification of the two machines. As I said in my post, PS3 players or players on lower quality on PC may not notice the difference but at max settings it is there. There is no need to get upset about it, it was just an opinion.

Cheers and enjoy the game.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#80 Aug 13 2013 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Nashred wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:

Again MS has changed that.. They now give away free games, cloud saves etc. I just d/l free kinect games for free .
People really think MS would not start to do the same..
I do believe you still need gold for netflix though. Matter of fact whole games will be able to be saved not just games saves.
Xbox live is far Superior in this department I have both. Party chat, video chat better interface etc.


Does anybody find it ironic that Nashred is quick to point out the changes Xbox Live has made, but yet somehow forgets that the PS4 is offering Cross Chat and other features at launch? This is the second time now he talks about voice chat.


Omg keep an open mind and quit trying to read between the lines... All I am saying is fanboys bashed MS and now that Sony does the same it is ok. I don't even have a Xbox anymore, I traded them on a PS4 preorder. I still own a ps3 for FFXIV. I am not a Fanboy, I am a gamer and dislike MS as a company, Balmer is a moron. I just think Xbox live is Better. Sony may catch up but right now they have not.

Wint I like the Xbox controller better.. I use it on my gaming laptop for FFXIV.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred


I've had an XBOX and XBOX 360, both since launch. Their RPG support is very slim. I played FFXI on XBOX360. I like the controller because my hands are big. Prior to that I was a PS2 fanatic. I just bought a PS3 and have totally abandoned microsoft and XBOX Live. I think PSN offers better vintage games than XBL. XBL is easier to navigate and loads faster. XBL makes you pay. I haven't seen anything free on XBL that was worth playing except for Happy Wars. Both XBL and PSN are ok imo. I did like the old version of XBL best (when they didn't tie in with netflix and these 3rd party providers). I don't know what PSN was like prior to a week ago, so I won't comment on that.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:23pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#81 Aug 13 2013 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Valkayree wrote:
Nashred wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Nashred wrote:

Again MS has changed that.. They now give away free games, cloud saves etc. I just d/l free kinect games for free .
People really think MS would not start to do the same..
I do believe you still need gold for netflix though. Matter of fact whole games will be able to be saved not just games saves.
Xbox live is far Superior in this department I have both. Party chat, video chat better interface etc.


Does anybody find it ironic that Nashred is quick to point out the changes Xbox Live has made, but yet somehow forgets that the PS4 is offering Cross Chat and other features at launch? This is the second time now he talks about voice chat.


Omg keep an open mind and quit trying to read between the lines... All I am saying is fanboys bashed MS and now that Sony does the same it is ok. I don't even have a Xbox anymore, I traded them on a PS4 preorder. I still own a ps3 for FFXIV. I am not a Fanboy, I am a gamer and dislike MS as a company, Balmer is a moron. I just think Xbox live is Better. Sony may catch up but right now they have not.

Wint I like the Xbox controller better.. I use it on my gaming laptop for FFXIV.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred


I've had an XBOX and XBOX 360, both since launch. Their RPG support is very slim. I played FFXI on XBOX360. I like the controller because my hands are big. Prior to that I was a PS2 fanatic. I just bought a PS3 and have totally abandoned microsoft and XBOX Live. I think PSN offers better vintage games than XBL. XBL is easier to navigate and loads faster. XBL makes you pay. I haven't seen anything free on XBL that was worth playing except for Happy Wars. Both XBL and PSN are ok imo. I did like the old version of XBL best (when they didn't tie in with netflix and these 3rd party providers). I don't know what PSN was like prior to a week ago, so I won't comment on that.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 3:23pm by Valkayree


Their RPG support is very thin. If it aint a sports title 1st or 3rd person shooter MS wants nothing to do with it.
Elder scrolls online is coming to the Xbone, how did that happen?.. LOL
Other than a handful of games I mainly used the Xbox for FFXI.. I had Kinect for when friends were over because I got it as a gift. I really do not like it.. It is awsum for video chat and my girlfriend uses it all the time for that since her family lives in Ohio and we are in Wisconsin.





Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:32pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#82 Aug 13 2013 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
Wint wrote:
Yeah but it's on an Xbox Smiley: tongue

The controller alone makes me feel sticky.


The 360 controller is objectively superior to the PS3 controller though. Even the PS4 controller has been changed to be more rounded, ergonomic and 360-ish.

Btw, it's useless to defend PSN and PS+ vs. XBL. They're pretty much the same thing now. but I think it's a good deal. I like the PS+ free game cycles.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:33pm by Killua125
#83 Aug 13 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Nashred wrote:
Wint I like the Xbox controller better.. I use it on my gaming laptop for FFXIV.


I was teasing Smiley: tongue

I do prefer the PS controller, always have. We're all gamers here, platform doesn't matter Smiley: nod
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#84 Aug 13 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
19 posts
Ya I have never felt comfortable with the xbox controller, always just felt to fat or something. PS controller has always been personal preference for me!
#85 Aug 13 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
377 posts
HallieXIV wrote:
princessary wrote:
HallieXIV wrote:
There is a huge difference in graphics quality between PS3 and a good PC running on max.

And there is your problem right there, compair the 2 on the mid-range settings.

[quote=HallieXIV]



Thanks for your considered response to my post but I rather think you missed my point - perhaps I wasn't very clear.

The purpose of my post was to provide some of my thoughts on the graphical differences between the two formats in my experience playing the game on each. The opinions are obviously just that - opinions.

There is no problem in comparing my experience on max settings on PC with the PS3 settings - when comparing my experience why would I deliberately restrict the capabilities of one of the formats to make it the same as the other when I am trying to see which might be better to play.The rest of your analysis seems to be agreeing with me. The PC version has considerably better graphics than the PS3. As for the passive aggressive comments regarding changing my colour settings on my TV - I am well aware of how to do so - my original comments still stand.

This game is graphically far ahead of any other MMO I have seen (in my opinion) but there is a gulf in quality between the PS3 and PC which is, of course, as a result of the relative specification of the two machines. As I said in my post, PS3 players or players on lower quality on PC may not notice the difference but at max settings it is there. There is no need to get upset about it, it was just an opinion.

Cheers and enjoy the game.


Oh, I'm not upset. It's just that I was pointing out that the PS3 Graphics are average in compairison to the PC graphics which is pretty good for a console as old as the PS3 is. My issue really comes in with people claiming that the PS3 is holding the game back when it is in the middle of the spectrum, not the low end. Systems on the low end (such as my Acer Aspire) that can run the game are what would hold the game back more than the PS3. Personally, if it gets more players in the game, I would rather it be held back a little to accommodate the people who can't afford to upgrade at this moment. This is my opinion, agree or disagree I could care less. Either way, I'm going to have fun in FFXIV ARR and I hope everyone else, from the PC elitists to the lowliest of low end users.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#86 Aug 13 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
487 posts
Wint wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Teracide wrote:
My only concern is that, in a few years, having the game on PS3 won't end up being a handicap. I still believe that PS2 limitations really held FFXI back.

I somewhat agree in that I feel that FFXI being on PS2 at all is what was holding it back. When you develop solely for PC you can expect people to upgrade and update over time; something you can't do when you back yourself into the console corner. I'm still a bit curious as to the reason SE decided so shortly after the announcement that FFXI had overtaken FFVII as the most lucrative FF game in the history of the franchise; why would you split your MMO player base....


Yoshi told me in my interview with him that they intended to continually revamp the game's graphics to make sure it's always a competitor with other PC games. I took that to mean that there won't be any PS# limitations for ARR.


Call me a healthy skeptic on that.
____________________________
BANNED
#87 Aug 13 2013 at 2:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
751 posts
princessary wrote:


Oh, I'm not upset. It's just that I was pointing out that the PS3 Graphics are average in compairison to the PC graphics which is pretty good for a console as old as the PS3 is. My issue really comes in with people claiming that the PS3 is holding the game back when it is in the middle of the spectrum, not the low end. Systems on the low end (such as my Acer Aspire) that can run the game are what would hold the game back more than the PS3. Personally, if it gets more players in the game, I would rather it be held back a little to accommodate the people who can't afford to upgrade at this moment. This is my opinion, agree or disagree I could care less. Either way, I'm going to have fun in FFXIV ARR and I hope everyone else, from the PC elitists to the lowliest of low end users.


Fair comment - I also don't subscribe to the argument that the game will be held back as a consequence of one of the platforms lacking processing power. This may have happened for FFXI but this game is not FFXI. SE are trying to make a good MMO that will meet the demands of players of both formats. If the PC game falls behind the quality of other MMO releases on PC it will lose subscriber numbers. SE do not want that to happen so obviously they will try to maximise the quality of the game for each of the formats they release for.

As I noted in my original post - I will play on PS3 but will focus most of the time on PC since I feel there is a significant upgrade to graphics quality. No PC elitism here, I want to play the game on the best system I can.
____________________________
FFXIV: Crafty Hallie, Ultros





#88 Aug 13 2013 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,652 posts
Wint wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Wint I like the Xbox controller better.. I use it on my gaming laptop for FFXIV.


We're all gamers here, platform doesn't matter Smiley: nod


I agree.. i have owned most systems, each has their own advantages.

I have 5 full size coin operated arcades game in my game room...


Killua125 wrote:


Btw, it's useless to defend PSN and PS+ vs. XBL. They're pretty much the same thing now. but I think it's a good deal. I like the PS+ free game cycles.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 4:33pm by Killua125


Agreed. They will mostly be the same when the ps4 launches.
Also both system will pretty much be the same. It will come down to the games you want. I went with the ps4 for FFXIV.




HallieXIV wrote:
princessary wrote:


Oh, I'm not upset. It's just that I was pointing out that the PS3 Graphics are average in compairison to the PC graphics which is pretty good for a console as old as the PS3 is. My issue really comes in with people claiming that the PS3 is holding the game back when it is in the middle of the spectrum, not the low end. Systems on the low end (such as my Acer Aspire) that can run the game are what would hold the game back more than the PS3. Personally, if it gets more players in the game, I would rather it be held back a little to accommodate the people who can't afford to upgrade at this moment. This is my opinion, agree or disagree I could care less. Either way, I'm going to have fun in FFXIV ARR and I hope everyone else, from the PC elitists to the lowliest of low end users.


Fair comment - I also don't subscribe to the argument that the game will be held back as a consequence of one of the platforms lacking processing power. This may have happened for FFXI but this game is not FFXI. SE are trying to make a good MMO that will meet the demands of players of both formats. If the PC game falls behind the quality of other MMO releases on PC it will lose subscriber numbers. SE do not want that to happen so obviously they will try to maximise the quality of the game for each of the formats they release for.

As I noted in my original post - I will play on PS3 but will focus most of the time on PC since I feel there is a significant upgrade to graphics quality. No PC elitism here, I want to play the game on the best system I can.


It was the hard drive that held FFXI back.. They could not do anymore add ons and had to recycle everything to make anything new. There was a point where they went over what the ps2 could store and had to make it so it deleted all the files not in use. The ps3 can chnge hard drive size and most will never have a hard drive issue becasue they have large drives in already, Mine has 500 gb.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 5:57pm by Nashred

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 6:05pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#89 Aug 13 2013 at 4:19 PM Rating: Default
****
4,134 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:

I don't see the PS4 version being much of an upgrade though. If better hardware meant better performance, why is the PC version nerfed? I mean, it still remains to be see what options will be in at launch or when DX11 hits, but I don't imagine they'll ever have PC and PS4 versions on par with what they're capable of. They've either done a good job with the PS3 or a poor job with the PC version.


I'm not that familiar with the PC version so I can't really comment there. The PS4 will be an upgrade because of the limitations of the PS3 hardware. 512MB compared to 8GB. A faster HDD(better loading), more power(more onscreen players/npcs), 1080P graphics and so forth. Maybe you're not impressed with the PC version, but the PS4 version should improve the experience for console players.


SE nerfed the graphics engine of the PC so they could port it to PS3. I'm not saying that PS3 to PC it isn't an upgrade, just that it isn't living up to it's potential and for the reason I just mentioned, it never really will. As I said before, it doesn't really bother me because I use my PC to play other games that I do get the most out of. Even if FFXIV looked like FFVIII in terms of graphics, I'm only going to play it if I feel the gameplay is up to par.



Edited, Aug 13th 2013 6:46pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#90 Aug 13 2013 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Nashred wrote:


It was the hard drive that held FFXI back.. They could not do anymore add ons and had to recycle everything to make anything new. There was a point where they went over what the ps2 could store and had to make it so it deleted all the files not in use. The ps3 can chnge hard drive size and most will never have a hard drive issue becasue they have large drives in already, Mine has 500 gb.


I find this hard to believe. The PS2 HDD never took off and if memory serves, the HDD was 40GB which only needed to hold one game including expansions. On the other hand, the PS2 had 4MB of RAM which I believe was the real cause for the washed out graphics and "PS2 Limitations". I haven't played FFXI on the PS2 in some time, so maybe I'm wrong about the HDD size. I upgraded to the PC version around the time WotG came out.

PS2 4MB
PS3 512MB
PS4 8GB GDDR5

FilthMcNasty wrote:

SE nerfed the graphics engine of the PC so they could port it to PS3. I'm not saying that PS3 to PC it isn't an upgrade, just that it isn't living up to it's potential and for the reason I just mentioned, it never really will. As I said before, it doesn't really bother me because I use my PC to play other games that I do get the most out of.


You claim making this claim that SE nerfed the graphics. I'm confused how you arrive at this conclusion. If anything, 2.0 blows away everything about 1.0 in terms of graphics. That's the diversity of the zones, no laggy overworld and so forth. I've seen the PC pictures/videos up-close and frankly didn't see anything wrong with it. Nor do I see any evidence whatsoever that SE nerfed the engine so FFXIV could run on the PS3. If you have specifics, let's hear it. My belief is SE made the game run smoother so FFXIV would run on more PC platforms. Don't even get me started with the 1.0 benchmarks.


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 5:34pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
#91 Aug 13 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
Wint wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Teracide wrote:
My only concern is that, in a few years, having the game on PS3 won't end up being a handicap. I still believe that PS2 limitations really held FFXI back.

I somewhat agree in that I feel that FFXI being on PS2 at all is what was holding it back. When you develop solely for PC you can expect people to upgrade and update over time; something you can't do when you back yourself into the console corner. I'm still a bit curious as to the reason SE decided so shortly after the announcement that FFXI had overtaken FFVII as the most lucrative FF game in the history of the franchise; why would you split your MMO player base....


Yoshi told me in my interview with him that they intended to continually revamp the game's graphics to make sure it's always a competitor with other PC games. I took that to mean that there won't be any PS# limitations for ARR.


Call me a healthy skeptic on that.


K.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#92 Aug 13 2013 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
While I think Filth has a history of prematurely tossing the "graphics are nerfed" card out a little too often, there's a good chance he's right about the PS3 but perhaps not for the reason you'd expect. When FFXIV runs on a PC, it takes up the full 2GB RAM an application is allowed on 32 bit Windows (which the game supports). The PS3 only has a fourth of that to work with and some of that space is also reserved for its operating system. Invariably, that's going to require some sacrifices. Many people have noticed that far fewer players can be seen around you than on PC, for example.

I believe the rendering capabilities of the cell processor are more than adequate for 720p, but there is the whole rest of the game to consider and limited memory in which to manage it.
#93 Aug 13 2013 at 5:14 PM Rating: Default
****
4,134 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
You claim making this claim that SE nerfed the graphics. I'm confused how you arrive at this conclusion. If anything, 2.0 blows away everything about 1.0 in terms of graphics. That's the diversity of the zones, no laggy overworld and so forth. I've seen the PC pictures/videos up-close and frankly didn't see anything wrong with it. Nor do I see any evidence whatsoever that SE nerfed the engine so FFXIV could run on the PS3. If you have specifics, let's hear it. My belief is SE made the game run smoother so FFXIV would run on more PC platforms. Don't even get me started with the 1.0 benchmarks.


You would have had to see 1.0 running on a rig that was capable of running it at high settings. Given that 1.0 was poorly optimized, very few people had that capability. Diversity of the zones and lag improvements aren't directly tied to graphics. Just because something is copy pasta'd all over the place doesn't mean it didn't have higher detail, better textures, ect.

Again, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with PC graphics or that they look bad. I'm saying that they do not look as good as they did and could. As an example, the PC version looks like this when it could have looked like this. One of them looks Smiley: smile and the other looks Smiley: eek

My eyes are the evidence. Anyone who isn't offended by the word 'nerfed' and takes it to mean what it means won't have a problem agreeing that the graphics used to look better on max settings. Even the comparison between the two recent benchmarks shows a clear difference.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 7:17pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#94 Aug 13 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Xoie wrote:
While I think Filth has a history of prematurely tossing the "graphics are nerfed" card out a little too often, there's a good chance he's right about the PS3 but perhaps not for the reason you'd expect. When FFXIV runs on a PC, it takes up the full 2GB RAM an application is allowed on 32 bit Windows (which the game supports). The PS3 only has a fourth of that to work with and some of that space is also reserved for its operating system. Invariably, that's going to require some sacrifices. Many people have noticed that far fewer players can be seen around you than on PC, for example.

I believe the rendering capabilities of the cell processor are more than adequate for 720p, but there is the whole rest of the game to consider and limited memory in which to manage it.


The important variable you left out is how the PS3 version is better optimized than any PC port. When you produce PC games, you always have to make the game compatible for all types of graphic cards and system configurations. The PS3's specs are locked in stone. The 720P graphics, reduced draw in, and limited number of characters on screen at once were the compromises made by SE. I think if anything, the graphics were "nerfed" so more PC players could play the game without lag. Considering the history of 1.0, there is evidence to support that claim.
#95Killua125, Posted: Aug 13 2013 at 5:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Prematurely?
#96 Aug 13 2013 at 6:07 PM Rating: Default
****
4,134 posts
Xoie wrote:
While I think Filth has a history of prematurely tossing the "graphics are nerfed" card out a little too often, there's a good chance he's right about the PS3 but perhaps not for the reason you'd expect.

They came out and said that they were going to scale back graphics so that they could display more character models. Literally used the term quantity over quality if memory serves.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
When you produce PC games, you always have to make the game compatible for all types of graphic cards and system configurations. The PS3's specs are locked in stone.

This is the argument why they should have built the game on the PS3 and then ported to PC like they did with FFXI going from PS2 to PC. You can go for the best balance of quality and performance without having to worry about a PC being able to handle it, then move up from there. It isn't that the PC version looks bad, but it makes more sense even from a PR standpoint to start with lower graphics and improve. You could actually even spin that into a graphics improvement instead of a clear nerf.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#97 Aug 13 2013 at 6:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

This is the argument why they should have built the game on the PS3 and then ported to PC like they did with FFXI going from PS2 to PC. You can go for the best balance of quality and performance without having to worry about a PC being able to handle it, then move up from there. It isn't that the PC version looks bad, but it makes more sense even from a PR standpoint to start with lower graphics and improve. You could actually even spin that into a graphics improvement instead of a clear nerf.


I don't follow this logic at all. FFXI was restricted because of the archaic PS2 hardware. The PC port could only increase resolution and minor upgrades outside of the Windower app. FFXIV was based off the PC so now the consoles aren't holding it back. However, the PS3 version will struggle to run as well in many key situations. It doesn't make sense to me why the PC version would suffer because of this. I think you really need to look at how the average experience was for 1.0 players instead of blaming the consoles. I just talked to a buddy last night who only played the game for like one day because of the terrible lag of 1.0. The game was so bad they had to reboot it and try again. Now I'm listening to people say oh it's the PS3's fault for everything. That's just not fair.
#98 Aug 13 2013 at 6:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,337 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
The good news is that FFXI has seen some graphics improvements in recent years for the PC version.


Uh, no it hasn't. The *only* graphical options FFXI's gotten in the past few years have been a stabilization feature for seriously old hardware and the ability to turn off more options (and put those into PS2 as well).

It hasn't seen any improvements at all.

Nashred wrote:
It was the hard drive that held FFXI back.. They could not do anymore add ons and had to recycle everything to make anything new. There was a point where they went over what the ps2 could store and had to make it so it deleted all the files not in use. The ps3 can chnge hard drive size and most will never have a hard drive issue becasue they have large drives in already, Mine has 500 gb.


The hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with why PS2 has been held back; that issue was solved well over a year ago. The major issue is that PS2 runs on 32MB of system memory and 4 MB of video memory. Graphical power and computing power are only minor concerns on how absolutely limiting the RAM is on PS2. Even when the PS2 came out that was tiny amount of RAM.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
You claim making this claim that SE nerfed the graphics. I'm confused how you arrive at this conclusion. If anything, 2.0 blows away everything about 1.0 in terms of graphics. That's the diversity of the zones, no laggy overworld and so forth. I've seen the PC pictures/videos up-close and frankly didn't see anything wrong with it. Nor do I see any evidence whatsoever that SE nerfed the engine so FFXIV could run on the PS3. If you have specifics, let's hear it. My belief is SE made the game run smoother so FFXIV would run on more PC platforms. Don't even get me started with the 1.0 benchmarks.


He claims it because it *is* true. The actual graphical fidelity has taken a hit in the shift from 1.0 to 2.0. The actual art assets and look of the game? That's bounded forward tremendously and that's what truly matters.

1.0 is probably the poster boy for "Just because you're running full throttle on graphics doesn't mean it's anything worth looking at."


Edited, Aug 13th 2013 8:31pm by Viertel
#99 Aug 13 2013 at 7:13 PM Rating: Default
****
4,134 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I think you really need to look at how the average experience was for 1.0 players instead of blaming the consoles. I just talked to a buddy last night who only played the game for like one day because of the terrible lag of 1.0. The game was so bad they had to reboot it and try again. Now I'm listening to people say oh it's the PS3's fault for everything. That's just not fair.


I'm talking mostly about the difference between 1.0 and ARR on the PC version because until ARR, that's all there was. Lag is server-client response based and is independent of graphics. Models being displayed on your screen slowly isn't lag. A menu taking a few seconds to open and close isn't graphics.

You don't have to take my word for the fact that PC graphics were nerfed due to PS3, SE stated it pretty clearly(even for SE). There is no other conclusion to draw other than that if ARR had been available on PC only then these changes, not the overhaul of UI, controls, ect., wouldn't have been necessary.

Viertel wrote:
Uh, no it hasn't. The *only* graphical options FFXI's gotten in the past few years have been a stabilization feature for seriously old hardware and the ability to turn off more options (and put those into PS2 as well).

It hasn't seen any improvements at all.

Text was updated, there were icons(like linkshell and spells) that were updated and an updated UI that is still in the works was shown off not too long ago. They're taking their sweet time, but they are slowly making improvements.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#100 Aug 13 2013 at 7:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
377 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


You don't have to take my word for the fact that PC graphics were nerfed due to PS3, SE stated it pretty clearly(even for SE). There is no other conclusion to draw other than that if ARR had been available on PC only then these changes, not the overhaul of UI, controls, ect., wouldn't have been necessary.


Actually SE has stated that the graphics were "nerfed" due to hardware limitations on lower end systems, not the PS3. The PS3 runs at the mid range and (other than loading times being a little longer) the only real drawback that is encountered in running it in the mid scale of things a limit on how many characters can be on screen at one time.
Also for anyone who would like to know what the PS3 is capable of and what it isn't, here is a thread on the beta forums covering this issue which is getting old due to the ignorant comments that people are making.
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/69098-PS3-Mythbusting-(AKA-The-Real-PS3-Limitations)?highlight=PS3+graphics

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 9:37pm by princessary
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#101 Aug 13 2013 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:


I'm talking mostly about the difference between 1.0 and ARR on the PC version because until ARR, that's all there was. Lag is server-client response based and is independent of graphics. Models being displayed on your screen slowly isn't lag. A menu taking a few seconds to open and close isn't graphics.

You don't have to take my word for the fact that PC graphics were nerfed due to PS3, SE stated it pretty clearly(even for SE). There is no other conclusion to draw other than that if ARR had been available on PC only then these changes, not the overhaul of UI, controls, ect., wouldn't have been necessary.



I know what lag is, but I can see how you were confused by my comment. I was referring to hardware only yet I gave a horrible example. My bad. The server issue is another topic for a different day.

As for the nerf, I never heard them mention this. If you have proof, please provide it was the PS3. I'm not taking your word, only facts with a source.

So because you feel FFXIV's graphics aren't as good on PC as they should be, does that mean you're not going to play? I'm asking this because of your negative attitude about the game. It's like you want to make other people disgruntled and quit. The PS3 and PS4 versions of FFXIV are going to rock for console gamers. We really need to drop this elitist attitude that a game must be maxed specs of a monster gaming rig otherwise it's not worth playing. I begin to wonder that people are only upset because they invented far too much money into their rig thus the desire for more performance. This is a PS3 thread and PS3 owners know the limitations of the console. We don't need another MMO where the PC players blame the console players for everything that is wrong with the game.

Edit: Here is one example of comparison shots of 1.0 to 2.0. I barely see any difference worth mentioning.
http://imgur.com/a/a34OI/noscript

Here's a better example of the 2 versions.
http://ffxivrealm.com/threads/graphical-differences.1370/

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 9:06pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 59 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (59)