Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Easiest path?Follow

#1 Aug 12 2013 at 9:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts
Im curious to know what you guys think is the best way to start ffxiv or even what course of action you personally are gonna follow in the beginning of your play through.

For example ( keep in mind i have never played ff11...or any mmo for that matter ) i plan on starting as a Lalafell archer then picking up conjurer along the way as well as the botanist discipline. With Botanist leveled up i should be able to level up carpenter and leatherworker to craft gear and items for my character. hopefully i would eventually become a bard at some point.

I went with these disciplines because they all seem to flow together and are all located in Gridania which would keep things simple. With Archer, conjurer and bard i could try out group play and not be an inconvenience because all i would be doing is either shooting arrows or healing you when you need it either with magic or songs.

For a first timer i think this is the easiest route but im also interested in what other people have planned.

#2 Aug 12 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Kreytos wrote:
Im curious to know what you guys think is the best way to start ffxiv or even what course of action you personally are gonna follow in the beginning of your play through.

For example ( keep in mind i have never played ff11...or any mmo for that matter ) i plan on starting as a Lalafell archer then picking up conjurer along the way as well as the botanist discipline. With Botanist leveled up i should be able to level up carpenter and leatherworker to craft gear and items for my character. hopefully i would eventually become a bard at some point.

I went with these disciplines because they all seem to flow together and are all located in Gridania which would keep things simple. With Archer, conjurer and bard i could try out group play and not be an inconvenience because all i would be doing is either shooting arrows or healing you when you need it either with magic or songs.

For a first timer i think this is the easiest route but im also interested in what other people have planned.


My only suggestion would be to start off as CNJ so you have access to cure and protect right away. You'll also get all the one time city quests done on your CNJ. Then you get all that juicy xp on a class that's a tiny bit more difficult to solo. Once you hit level 10, swap to your Archer. Everything else sounds great :)

Just my 2gil.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#3 Aug 12 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
Your plan sounds pretty good. Im almost doing the same thing but Cnj>bot>cooking.
#4 Aug 12 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
I am playing through with my wife, and she tends to play games a lot less frequently than I do, so it will be a lot slower going than I am accustomed to. Because of this I will have my off time to focus on crafting and gathering. I always used to level one craft along with my main class up to cap, but now I will diversify a bit. I am going armorer for gear for me and depending on what she takes I might take the related craft up too, but I also plan to do culinarian and possibly alchemist to keep us in good supply of food/potions. So no I won't be getting server first or anything like that, but I am pursuing a slow but steady approach with lots of supplies.
#5 Aug 12 2013 at 10:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
530 posts
My best friend and I are coming from WoW and most likely we're going to level together. I'm pretty sure we'll fly by the seat of our pants! Trial and errors, getting lost, exploring, dying, etc.

No need to plan the easiest course of action because I just don't see the fun in that.

The only thing I plan on doing is joining the ZAM guild for help or advice if needed, and of course for the people and opportunities it would offer down the road.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#6 Aug 12 2013 at 10:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts
Thanks for the quick, solid replies guys. I think i will switch to conjurer to start and i have seen a few people that are really interested in the cooking discipline now so i might hop on a boat to Limsa to check it out.
#7 Aug 12 2013 at 10:11 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts

lol that was what i was gunna do too but then i started watching xenohart and yogacast on youtube and after that i just got really into all the information. Do you know what class you wanna be at least or you just going to randomly pick that too?
#8 Aug 12 2013 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
Kreytos wrote:
Thanks for the quick, solid replies guys. I think i will switch to conjurer to start and i have seen a few people that are really interested in the cooking discipline now so i might hop on a boat to Limsa to check it out.

Once you complete the level 15 storyline quests, you get an airship pass. It's 100 gil a trip ;)

In the beta, the ferry price to limsa was artificially inflated so that you couldn't take it (55k gil) so i'm not sure what the cost for that is.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#9 Aug 12 2013 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Question, to become a Bard you need level 30 Archer/15 Conjurer. To open up Bard do you need to do the complete quest line through Conjurer up to 15 , or once you hit 15 the Bard quest will be available? For example, if I decided to grind mobs(which I'm not, just making an example) all the way to level 15 without doing any Conjurer quests, once I hit 15 the Bard quest will be available as long as I am a level 30 Archer also?
#10 Aug 12 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
*
54 posts
Kreytos wrote:
Im curious to know what you guys think is the best way to start ffxiv or even what course of action you personally are gonna follow in the beginning of your play through.

For example ( keep in mind i have never played ff11...or any mmo for that matter ) i plan on starting as a Lalafell archer then picking up conjurer along the way as well as the botanist discipline. With Botanist leveled up i should be able to level up carpenter and leatherworker to craft gear and items for my character. hopefully i would eventually become a bard at some point.

I went with these disciplines because they all seem to flow together and are all located in Gridania which would keep things simple. With Archer, conjurer and bard i could try out group play and not be an inconvenience because all i would be doing is either shooting arrows or healing you when you need it either with magic or songs.

For a first timer i think this is the easiest route but im also interested in what other people have planned.



You can check out Mr. Happy's videos. He just did one on how to prepare and recommended things to accomplish during beta.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kIViTeFXDI
#11 Aug 12 2013 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Well, after seeing a multing-boxing video with 4 characters, I'd say multi-boxing is the easiest route. Even though its not against the tos, unless they sell the characters, it had a wrongness to it.

That being said. I'm sticking with my THM to begin with, and mining/alchemy. Some data-mining produced a new sub-class:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/wiki/classes_and_jobs#wiki_jobs

If its true the subclass for THM could be loads of fun. I like blowing things up in games.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#12 Aug 12 2013 at 11:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts


It says the subclass is archer and arcanist...which makes more sense then pugilist but probably wont change the way black mage plays that much...unless you get a bad *** black mage pet which would be awesome.


____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
#13 Aug 12 2013 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
Kreytos wrote:


It says the subclass is archer and arcanist...which makes more sense then pugilist but probably wont change the way black mage plays that much...unless you get a bad *** black mage pet which would be awesome.




I can't imagine that BLM will be allowed to call forth a pet, which is why I'm scepticle about the chart. Have to just wait and see. Also, PUG and Glad is in the same city as THM. Really THM would be better off in a mage city. Either way, I'm happy.

Edited to add, that maybe the game release waits until you are level 15 before you can try another class, since its then that we get the airship pass.
Otherwise, I'll be running to the other city to get conj for cure, and then archer.


Edited, Aug 12th 2013 2:00pm by Grandmomma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#14 Aug 12 2013 at 12:03 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
TheBadabing wrote:
Question, to become a Bard you need level 30 Archer/15 Conjurer. To open up Bard do you need to do the complete quest line through Conjurer up to 15 , or once you hit 15 the Bard quest will be available? For example, if I decided to grind mobs(which I'm not, just making an example) all the way to level 15 without doing any Conjurer quests, once I hit 15 the Bard quest will be available as long as I am a level 30 Archer also?

We won't know for sure until someone data-mines the quest, activates the quest, or The Lodestone gets updated. WHM, for instance, used to require a level 15 GLA, but WHM can no longer cross-class abilities from that class.

As far as the easiest path goes, I would recommend trying to skip most of the early quests. On top of FATEs and the hunting log, if you can get your first class to 15 using only class and scenario quests, you'll have an easier time leveling a second class in that city.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#15 Aug 12 2013 at 5:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Ulman wrote:
I am playing through with my wife, and she tends to play games a lot less frequently than I do, so it will be a lot slower going than I am accustomed to. Because of this I will have my off time to focus on crafting and gathering. I always used to level one craft along with my main class up to cap, but now I will diversify a bit. I am going armorer for gear for me and depending on what she takes I might take the related craft up too, but I also plan to do culinarian and possibly alchemist to keep us in good supply of food/potions. So no I won't be getting server first or anything like that, but I am pursuing a slow but steady approach with lots of supplies.


I'll be playing with my GF so the same for me. I think I may let her play during early access while I watch and coach. I'll be using my 1.0 character so not worried about blasting as many levels as quickly as possible.
#16 Aug 12 2013 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
655 posts
you guys are so nice to your g/fs heh i will be blazing by my husband in lvls but I will beable to help him int he long run with lvl synce
#17 Aug 12 2013 at 5:40 PM Rating: Excellent
silverhope wrote:
you guys are so nice to your g/fs heh i will be blazing by my husband in lvls but I will beable to help him int he long run with lvl synce


Well if they play then WE get to play more. She can't really complain about not doing anything if she's contributing Smiley: nod
#18 Aug 12 2013 at 5:53 PM Rating: Good
I'm not one to rush to 50 and be bored. I plan to take things easy and enjoy every aspect of the game while leveling. I'll solo mainly on my Lancer -> Dragoon to 50 while leveling my crafting and some Conjurer levels in groups and eventually White Mage. I feel people will rush to 50 and then complain that it is boring, because they skipped a bunch of crucial events.
#19 Aug 12 2013 at 6:12 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
My game plan is start as Gladiator, so ill be in Ul'dah and then level goldsmithing, the recipes are fun and easy, that will keep my materia flowing, then ill level armoring and blacksmithing and leatherworking so i can make all my gear HQ. Oh and ill be leveling mineing to keep the ores comeing in!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#20 Aug 12 2013 at 7:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
29 posts

Dragoon def looks awesome. all the previews say its kind of a high risk, high reward. Do crazy damage but have really low hp. The jump mechanic especially looks fun.

I didn't research gladiator much but it says one of its sub classes is a conjurer. Dont know how it will play out but if you have a class with high defense and healing spells like that then it sounds like your pretty much invincible unless you get swarmed.




___________________________________________________________________________________________
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 103 All times are in CDT
Callinon, JFrombaugh, Anonymous Guests (101)