Some people in Beta forums are saying that client for P4 and PSN download have the same size. Perhaps the PS3 code we got by mail is for those who bought a retail version (or plan to do so) whereas the PSN version is the full set (Beta 4, Early Access).
SE should have given a bit more information on this before lunching this on PSN.
Hold on, so if I go home right now and download the PSN version I can play in the Beta 4 without a code (even though I jumped on the FFXIV bandwagon on August 1 and didn't get signed up)?
I guess we'll know tomorrow, but here are the facts I know:
1. I bought the game on PSN and downloaded it
2. I registered the beta code for phase 4 on the PSN website
3. I went in the download list, the phase 4 client wasn't there.
4. I registered the same code again, on the PS3 this time
5. I started the download. It was the same name (not "beta") as the final client
6. This morning after the download finished, I was left with still only one game.
All of this points to: yes, they're both good to play in P4 (and I wasted a good beta key, apparently)