Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Character Creation Benchmark IssuesFollow

#1 Aug 13 2013 at 9:43 PM Rating: Decent
So, my g/f and I have the same video cards (Radeon HD 7870 both up-to-date), windows 7, and directx 11.

She is able to run the benchmark on her PC, but I am unable to get it to run on mine. Whenever I click the Character Creation or Start button the clients window disappears, another display windows appears like it's about to start playing the video, but then it vanishes and the client window reappears again.

Anyone else having this issue and/or know a solution to it?

My biggest concern is not being able to run the game on the 24th during the early access.

Edited, Aug 13th 2013 10:44pm by lilmarkutsa
#2 Aug 13 2013 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,079 posts
Did you try to reinstall it?
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#3 Aug 13 2013 at 10:20 PM Rating: Decent
Yea, I tried re-downloading & re-installing it twice.
#4 Aug 13 2013 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,079 posts
Try running it as administrator.
____________________________
FFXIV
Articus Vladmir
PLD WHM BRD DRG BLM
#5 Aug 13 2013 at 10:55 PM Rating: Decent
Hadn't thought of trying that yet....have to do the same thing with ventrillo, but....it's still a no go. Same issue.
#6 Aug 13 2013 at 11:02 PM Rating: Decent
My question is, what are you talking about installing? When I did it, it ran as an executable, no install needed. Also, the benchmark wouldn't just be of your video cards. It also measures CPU, Memory available, having a good HD or SSD and if any of those are not optimal in your computer compared to your girlfriend's it won't run.

People get so caught up in video cards that they forget they have other components in their PCs. The fps bottleneck a person is getting might not actually be their video card, but maybe lack of memory or too low a CPU.
#7 Aug 13 2013 at 11:09 PM Rating: Excellent
I actually have the same problem... can't get it to run on my laptop.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#8 Aug 14 2013 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
Gonzothegreat198 wrote:
My question is, what are you talking about installing? When I did it, it ran as an executable, no install needed. Also, the benchmark wouldn't just be of your video cards. It also measures CPU, Memory available, having a good HD or SSD and if any of those are not optimal in your computer compared to your girlfriend's it won't run.

People get so caught up in video cards that they forget they have other components in their PCs. The fps bottleneck a person is getting might not actually be their video card, but maybe lack of memory or too low a CPU.


Sorry, I worded that incorrectly. I meant unzip not install.

I know it's not just the video card. I build my computers as well as a few for her family who wanted to game. I didn't mention them because I only wanted to list what I thought was relevant. Our CPU's are about the same (intel quad 3.07ghz vs intel quad 3.1), I have more memory (12gb vs 4or8) and a better HD. I only listed the video card because that was the last upgrade I did since I ran the game during the first beta. Since the first beta phase I started my PC fresh when I installed Windows 7. Aside from that it was just the same video card we both upgraded to.
#9 Aug 14 2013 at 4:17 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
My original try at getting the character creator to work failed. Turns out I had a virus that messed with a bunch of stuff.
I completely wiped everything on my computer and re-installed everything and the benchmark worked fine after that.
Not saying your problem is a virus, but that was definitely my issue when it wouldn't work for me.
#10 Aug 14 2013 at 4:25 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
753 posts
Could it possibly be linked to the July 11th Windows Update S-E mentioned is causing the opening cinematic to not run correctly?

Let me see if I can find the thread that referenced this...

Edit: In Hairspray's thread here: Clicky

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:33pm by diiablo

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:34pm by diiablo
#11 Aug 14 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
I had to make some registry changes on my laptop involving graphics settings (in order to run a virtual machine), and that certainly messed with PlayOnline for FFXI... so I'm assuming that's what is messing up the benchmark.

The good news is, I was able to play the beta just fine on my laptop, so I'm thinking the actual client will be just fine.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#12 Aug 14 2013 at 5:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,310 posts
lilmarkutsa wrote:
So, my g/f and I have the same video cards (Radeon HD 7870 both up-to-date), windows 7, and directx 11.

She is able to run the benchmark on her PC, but I am unable to get it to run on mine. Whenever I click the Character Creation or Start button the clients window disappears, another display windows appears like it's about to start playing the video, but then it vanishes and the client window reappears again.

Anyone else having this issue and/or know a solution to it?

My biggest concern is not being able to run the game on the 24th during the early access.


It might be worth trying a slightly older driver for your video card. Not sure how AMD runs their business, but if it's anything like NVidia, sometimes the latest drivers actually breaks a card it's meant to support. There are all sorts of variables on various hardware systems that could cause this, even on similar setups, so sometimes you have to work your way backwards to find a driver that supports your configuration.
#13 Aug 14 2013 at 5:25 PM Rating: Decent
diiablo wrote:
Could it possibly be linked to the July 11th Windows Update S-E mentioned is causing the opening cinematic to not run correctly?

Let me see if I can find the thread that referenced this...

Edit: In Hairspray's thread here: Clicky

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:33pm by diiablo

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:34pm by diiablo



My windows was up-to-date minus one update which was unrelated. I updated it anyway, but still a no go.
#14 Aug 14 2013 at 6:56 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,134 posts
lilmarkutsa wrote:
diiablo wrote:
Could it possibly be linked to the July 11th Windows Update S-E mentioned is causing the opening cinematic to not run correctly?

Let me see if I can find the thread that referenced this...

Edit: In Hairspray's thread here: Clicky

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:33pm by diiablo

Edited, Aug 14th 2013 6:34pm by diiablo



My windows was up-to-date minus one update which was unrelated. I updated it anyway, but still a no go.


Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers? Sometimes there are things left behind when you update drivers that can cause issues. Try a clean install of the latest drivers and see if that works.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#15 Aug 14 2013 at 7:43 PM Rating: Decent
Ok, I finally got it to work. I tried everyone's suggestions and tested it after every single one to no avail.

So, I gave up and decided to just go an download the new phase 4 client they provided us at the below address.

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/inst/ffxivsetup.exe

After I ran the setup I said what the ****....decided to try the benchmark again....it works now. It doesn't make sense that you "need" to have the client in order to use the benchmark because that defeats the purpose of random people using the benchmark to test their PC.

If I "recall" correctly it does a DirectX update (even though I had DirectX 11). I'm going to assume that updated fixed my problem.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 104 All times are in CDT
Hyrist, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (102)