Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Are you sure this game is good?Follow

#52 Aug 19 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
405 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
KingAlkaiser wrote:



No offense in any way man and I can not say this enough to not warrant a hateful bashing or flaming reply but just because you don't have time to play game does not mean the rest of the world is the same as you, and a lot of comments i see in a similar way just makes me roll eyes lol. There are literally hundreds of mmorpg that allow you to log in and play around for a few minutes/hours out there and a big reason a lot of people sick and tired of it.

There are also a crap ton of single player rpg games whether old school generation or new ones that you/anyone with this conceited mindset can jump into freely at any time ( and please remember I am not trying to be offensive but this comment always pops up when people start to argue casual vs hardcore please don't take it the wrong way ^^ ).



I don't understand your argument. There are MMORPGs that cater to an extremely hardcore base too. He wants to play this one. There are extreme modes of primals and dungeons that you'll get to do and complete way before us casual players can, and that's fine. But to suggest we play another game or play a single player game because we have a real life to tend to is sort of asinine.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 12:11am by UltKnightGrover


Exactly, I want to play a Final Fantasy MMO not some no-name F2P game. I do play all the single player games I have time for as well. I'm glad that alot of XIV is casual friendly, and I won't be looking for a endgame raiding FC or LS. I'm glad they will have extreme/hardmode stuff and thats great for those that want it. I hope its crazy hard and very strategic but without a "trick" like AV from FFXI.

My whole problem with XI, even though I played it for years, was that you were forced to dedicate long hours to the game or you got nothing. Even playing for hours, you could walk away empty-handed - losing claim or just getting crap drops. It never did sit well with me, but I kept playing because I enjoyed the game so much.
#53 Aug 19 2013 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
I didn't read it. I just came to say yes. I'm positively sure, 100%.
____________________________


#54 Aug 19 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
***
1,622 posts
Louiscool wrote:
I didn't read it. I just came to say yes. I'm positively sure, 100%.


My thoughts exactly.
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#55 Aug 19 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
170 posts
I never played XI. Wish I did. But when I came out the area I lived in had **** internet literally we could only get dial up. It sucked. That said FF XIV looks to be a great game. I was looking for an MMO to play while I sit and wait til I leave for Basic for the Navy. FF XIV won. The only other game I was considering was Elder Scrolls Online but that didn't even interest me to much as much as FF XIV. So I do expect long hrs of playing for myself. With time set a side to workout , eat, go to the bathroom, and play other games as well. Hope to see you all on there.
____________________________
Character: Sasanji Chechenji (BLM)
Server: Ultros
Master of the Black Market Mercs Free Company (BMM)
#56 Aug 19 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
PhoenixOmbre wrote:
Louiscool wrote:
I didn't read it. I just came to say yes. I'm positively sure, 100%.


My thoughts exactly.


I concur. Smiley: nod
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#57 Aug 19 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
People have to tell themselves that how XI did it back in the day was better in order to justify all the hours... days.... months.... spent on those exp parties. Smiley: lol

XI doesn't even do it that way any more. Now it's solo to 15, Grounds of Valor to 75, and then Abyssea to 99. Aaaaand done. (Or skip GoV and go to Abyssea at 30 and pop chests.)

Why? Because 6 party leveling against {Incredibly Tough}s is tedious BS. You can get the same feeling with a nice tight 4 man Abyssea seal party, and actually get gear for the time spent as well as some good exp. (Most people walk away from a seal party with 2-3 more merits in the bank.)
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#58 Aug 19 2013 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#59 Aug 19 2013 at 11:39 AM Rating: Excellent
*
52 posts
Catwho wrote:
People have to tell themselves that how XI did it back in the day was better in order to justify all the hours... days.... months.... spent on those exp parties. Smiley: lol

XI doesn't even do it that way any more. Now it's solo to 15, Grounds of Valor to 75, and then Abyssea to 99. Aaaaand done. (Or skip GoV and go to Abyssea at 30 and pop chests.)

Why? Because 6 party leveling against {Incredibly Tough}s is tedious BS. You can get the same feeling with a nice tight 4 man Abyssea seal party, and actually get gear for the time spent as well as some good exp. (Most people walk away from a seal party with 2-3 more merits in the bank.)


I used to think that i wanted a similar style to XI until i tried leveling in XI again. I did this around the time 1.0 was released a few years back and it was painful to have my entire evening wasted looking for a group. And of course, the worst case scenario had to happen also.. first it took a long time just to travel to the camp spot, then the tank and healer died, and then they kept picking up aggro on the way back. when they finally got back, rdm goes afk for about 15 mins. Finally we get to grind for about an hour before someone got disconnected. Then i had to go back to town to find a replacement, but after 30 minutes of looking, the rest of the party gives up and disbands. I must of gotten about 1 solid hour of grinding after 3+ hours of doing basically nothing.

In conclusion, I dont want to go back to the XI style of grinding. It definetely had a massochistic reward system, but ARR will never sustain a broad subscription base if it has this sick way of creating a challenge.
#60 Aug 19 2013 at 11:56 AM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
How do you have difficult long term accomplishments and still make it fun and fast paced? That's the issue MMOs face. I want to get stuff done, but at the same time I don't want the entire server to be running around in the ultimate armor because it's so accessible.
#61 Aug 19 2013 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
170 posts
Westyle wrote:
How do you have difficult long term accomplishments and still make it fun and fast paced? That's the issue MMOs face. I want to get stuff done, but at the same time I don't want the entire server to be running around in the ultimate armor because it's so accessible.

I hope that too. If everyone runs around with ultimate armor and didnt really have the challenge of earning it then it takes the fun out of the game.
____________________________
Character: Sasanji Chechenji (BLM)
Server: Ultros
Master of the Black Market Mercs Free Company (BMM)
#62 Aug 19 2013 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
Would it really be so hard to implement a system like duty finder to pair you with people on the same server, then fill in the gaps from other servers? This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work. There is no sense of accomplishment from anything. I quit WoW because I was bored, I quit XI because it became to hard to get anything done, and the player base became all about the grind.

I was indeed hoping to find some of the great things they had in XI, like partying to level up. Everything seems to be so focused on solo content and easy. This game really doesn't offer anything new that I can't get from Guildwars 2 at this point, and for no monthly fee. In fact I just felt like I was in WoW starting areas, endless quests, with boring story line.

I loved XI, and played it for a long time. I probably would have gone back, would now as well, if I hadn't lost my square enix log in info for my character. I also can't get into the e-mail that I used for that account to recover the information (happens to be a yahoo account that was hacked and for some reason they can't help me recover it). But then I know if I did, it would be the same old thing, of sitting around and now it's so top heavy no one does anything anyway. I guess I was hoping for a fresh take on XI. What we got was a combining of WoW, guildwars, and rift. I know, I will get a lot of hate from the die hard FF fans, but truth is truth. I pre-ordered and after open beta, I'm rather regretting it.

Why do they have such a hard time finding a balance for those who like easy mode and those of us who like a challenge? It can be done. Also what some of you fail to get, is that we are not complaining just to complain, I am sincerely disappointed, I so wanted it to be great. I wanted a challenge, and there has been none of it that I have seen.

We keep being told to wait till level 50. It's a new game folks, you don't have to luxury of making people wait that long. It needs to be good from the start, including lv 1-10. If it's not good, fun, engaging from the start, why in the world would I bother to reach 50? The die hards are always going to hate criticism of their game, I don't blame you. But defending what people are obviously finding fault with, will not help the game. I bought the game and will probably play for at least the free 30 days, but I don't believe it can hold my interest for more than that. I can play a solo game and get the same thing I am getting in what is supposed to be an MMO.

Here's a though, WoW all ready has the game for the people looking for easy and solo play, why not make a game that is for those who want more challenge? Or maybe I'm just going to have to give up on MMO's and play those solo games, there really is no point to MMO any more when no one plays or interacts together other than shouting at one another in chat. I'm just so disappointed, and I suppose sad.
#63 Aug 19 2013 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Catwho wrote:
People have to tell themselves that how XI did it back in the day was better in order to justify all the hours... days.... months.... spent on those exp parties. Smiley: lol

XI doesn't even do it that way any more. Now it's solo to 15, Grounds of Valor to 75, and then Abyssea to 99. Aaaaand done. (Or skip GoV and go to Abyssea at 30 and pop chests.)

Why? Because 6 party leveling against {Incredibly Tough}s is tedious BS. You can get the same feeling with a nice tight 4 man Abyssea seal party, and actually get gear for the time spent as well as some good exp. (Most people walk away from a seal party with 2-3 more merits in the bank.)


Abyssea and other easy modes in FFXI have shown without a shadow of a doubt that easy mode makes the game dull. FFXIV has a lot of flash, but I don't see much substance yet. I don't think we'll see people playing as hardcore as FFXI. People will rush to lv50, do their raids, get all the gear, and then scratch their head with nothing left to do. Sure you can craft, but that's not going to take that long either. By 6 months into launch, I suspect 75% of the core players will be maxed on all classes and crafts they care to play. The jobs don't even slow you down, they share levels with the class. I think you need to reassess your statement, it's horribly flawed.
#64 Aug 19 2013 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
170 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
Would it really be so hard to implement a system like duty finder to pair you with people on the same server, then fill in the gaps from other servers? This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work. There is no sense of accomplishment from anything. I quit WoW because I was bored, I quit XI because it became to hard to get anything done, and the player base became all about the grind.

I was indeed hoping to find some of the great things they had in XI, like partying to level up. Everything seems to be so focused on solo content and easy. This game really doesn't offer anything new that I can't get from Guildwars 2 at this point, and for no monthly fee. In fact I just felt like I was in WoW starting areas, endless quests, with boring story line.

I loved XI, and played it for a long time. I probably would have gone back, would now as well, if I hadn't lost my square enix log in info for my character. I also can't get into the e-mail that I used for that account to recover the information (happens to be a yahoo account that was hacked and for some reason they can't help me recover it). But then I know if I did, it would be the same old thing, of sitting around and now it's so top heavy no one does anything anyway. I guess I was hoping for a fresh take on XI. What we got was a combining of WoW, guildwars, and rift. I know, I will get a lot of hate from the die hard FF fans, but truth is truth. I pre-ordered and after open beta, I'm rather regretting it.

Why do they have such a hard time finding a balance for those who like easy mode and those of us who like a challenge? It can be done. Also what some of you fail to get, is that we are not complaining just to complain, I am sincerely disappointed, I so wanted it to be great. I wanted a challenge, and there has been none of it that I have seen.

We keep being told to wait till level 50. It's a new game folks, you don't have to luxury of making people wait that long. It needs to be good from the start, including lv 1-10. If it's not good, fun, engaging from the start, why in the world would I bother to reach 50? The die hards are always going to hate criticism of their game, I don't blame you. But defending what people are obviously finding fault with, will not help the game. I bought the game and will probably play for at least the free 30 days, but I don't believe it can hold my interest for more than that. I can play a solo game and get the same thing I am getting in what is supposed to be an MMO.

Here's a though, WoW all ready has the game for the people looking for easy and solo play, why not make a game that is for those who want more challenge? Or maybe I'm just going to have to give up on MMO's and play those solo games, there really is no point to MMO any more when no one plays or interacts together other than shouting at one another in chat. I'm just so disappointed, and I suppose sad.


You do make some interesting points.

For the solo playing. If you dont want to solo play. Get a group of your friends to play with yea. It may be hard at the start but by the time you leave your starting area you have people that sorta grew with yea. Though I thought hey I am lvling really fast, but then I looked at the clock and I realized it was just avg at best for lvl. I had fun in the beta. I hope you join us on the game and maybe reach the higher lvls so you can start enjoying it.

As always everything can be improved. Now I am not trying to be rude, Have you ever thought of sending business formal letter to SE regarding your concerns? I know who the **** sends letters these days. If you though you might get some cool free stuff and some acknowledgement from it.

I have done that a few times in my life and always got something nice in return regarding my concerns. Its never a free thing most of the time its a sticker set or a tshirt but that's nice.
____________________________
Character: Sasanji Chechenji (BLM)
Server: Ultros
Master of the Black Market Mercs Free Company (BMM)
#65 Aug 19 2013 at 1:10 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
This game really doesn't offer anything new that I can't get from Guildwars 2 at this point, and for no monthly fee. In fact I just felt like I was in WoW starting areas, endless quests, with boring story line.


Wow, I feel like we were playing completely different games. I found the storyline to be fantastic, and probably the best I've seen in an mmo (other than possibly swtor). Yes it shares a few similarities with WoW or GW2, but it also adds many other layers to them, such as the hunting logs, guildhests, playing all classes on 1 character, an innovative and unique crafting/gathering system, etc. I understand if it's not your cup of tea, but there are certainly many things offered in this game that are either completely different, or designed in a unique/more polished way than either of the games you mentioned.

Tigerlilly03 wrote:
Why do they have such a hard time finding a balance for those who like easy mode and those of us who like a challenge? It can be done. Also what some of you fail to get, is that we are not complaining just to complain, I am sincerely disappointed, I so wanted it to be great. I wanted a challenge, and there has been none of it that I have seen.


You've seen 20 levels. You've seen 3 basic tutorial dungeons, and the easy mode of the first primal battle, which is also mostly tutorial. You have literally NO idea how hard the content will be at cap. In every interview out there, Yoshi has specifically stated the beginning portion of the game is easy to cater to players of all levels. I think that's brilliant. He's also specifically stated that 35+ the content gets much more difficult. I'd say at least get that far before making your assumptions.

Tigerlilly03 wrote:
We keep being told to wait till level 50. It's a new game folks, you don't have to luxury of making people wait that long. It needs to be good from the start, including lv 1-10. If it's not good, fun, engaging from the start, why in the world would I bother to reach 50? The die hards are always going to hate criticism of their game, I don't blame you. But defending what people are obviously finding fault with, will not help the game. I bought the game and will probably play for at least the free 30 days, but I don't believe it can hold my interest for more than that. I can play a solo game and get the same thing I am getting in what is supposed to be an MMO.


Uh, it IS good from the start. It's fun and engaging from the get go in my opinion. If you disagree, the game probably just isn't for you. If you are looking for something more hardcore, go try out Eve online or one of the korean mmo grindfests. You're right that defending everything people find fault with won't help... but making baseless accusations of game difficulty off of the first 20 levels won't either.

Tigerlilly03 wrote:
Here's a though, WoW all ready has the game for the people looking for easy and solo play, why not make a game that is for those who want more challenge? Or maybe I'm just going to have to give up on MMO's and play those solo games, there really is no point to MMO any more when no one plays or interacts together other than shouting at one another in chat. I'm just so disappointed, and I suppose sad.


This is going to sound harsh but... sucks for you. I talked with PLENTY of people in-game, I did dungeon runs with LS-mates, I answered peoples questions in shouts and made tons of friends that I interacted with on a daily basis. Maybe if you stopped playing the game solo and actually made some friends, it wouldn't seem so solo oriented. It's really not that tough to get an LS and then group up for stuff together. You're making it out like it's impossible, when really it's the easiest thing in the world.

Sorry if all this sounded harsh, I just don't think you're really giving a fair assessment of the game, especially considering more than half of it hasn't even been released yet. Maybe you're right and endgame will be a cakewalk too, but maybe you're wrong. Only time will tell.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#66 Aug 19 2013 at 1:14 PM Rating: Excellent
****
5,745 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
Would it really be so hard to implement a system like duty finder to pair you with people on the same server, then fill in the gaps from other servers?

I believe they addressed that kind of grouping preference when answering questions about the Duty Finder. Basically, they stated that they avoided adding any kind of same-server preference because it could lead to players on less active servers getting into groups at a lower rate than players from active servers.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#67 Aug 19 2013 at 1:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
154 posts
IMFW wrote:
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.


I saw alot of this, and that bothered me. Everything they need to know is there if they would read. The big one was when some guy was complaining about not being able to find a mob in the hunting log because "the area isn't highlighted on the map". Um...it's a hunting log Smiley: oyvey
#68 Aug 19 2013 at 1:18 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Catwho wrote:
People have to tell themselves that how XI did it back in the day was better in order to justify all the hours... days.... months.... spent on those exp parties. Smiley: lol

XI doesn't even do it that way any more. Now it's solo to 15, Grounds of Valor to 75, and then Abyssea to 99. Aaaaand done. (Or skip GoV and go to Abyssea at 30 and pop chests.)

Why? Because 6 party leveling against {Incredibly Tough}s is tedious BS. You can get the same feeling with a nice tight 4 man Abyssea seal party, and actually get gear for the time spent as well as some good exp. (Most people walk away from a seal party with 2-3 more merits in the bank.)


Abyssea and other easy modes in FFXI have shown without a shadow of a doubt that easy mode makes the game dull. FFXIV has a lot of flash, but I don't see much substance yet. I don't think we'll see people playing as hardcore as FFXI. People will rush to lv50, do their raids, get all the gear, and then scratch their head with nothing left to do. Sure you can craft, but that's not going to take that long either. By 6 months into launch, I suspect 75% of the core players will be maxed on all classes and crafts they care to play. The jobs don't even slow you down, they share levels with the class. I think you need to reassess your statement, it's horribly flawed.


Telling someone to reassess their statement, when yours is based on nothing but guesses and what you suspect? Smiley: dubious

Screenshot

____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#69 Aug 19 2013 at 1:35 PM Rating: Default
2 posts
BartelX wrote:
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Catwho wrote:
People have to tell themselves that how XI did it back in the day was better in order to justify all the hours... days.... months.... spent on those exp parties. Smiley: lol

XI doesn't even do it that way any more. Now it's solo to 15, Grounds of Valor to 75, and then Abyssea to 99. Aaaaand done. (Or skip GoV and go to Abyssea at 30 and pop chests.)

Why? Because 6 party leveling against {Incredibly Tough}s is tedious BS. You can get the same feeling with a nice tight 4 man Abyssea seal party, and actually get gear for the time spent as well as some good exp. (Most people walk away from a seal party with 2-3 more merits in the bank.)


Abyssea and other easy modes in FFXI have shown without a shadow of a doubt that easy mode makes the game dull. FFXIV has a lot of flash, but I don't see much substance yet. I don't think we'll see people playing as hardcore as FFXI. People will rush to lv50, do their raids, get all the gear, and then scratch their head with nothing left to do. Sure you can craft, but that's not going to take that long either. By 6 months into launch, I suspect 75% of the core players will be maxed on all classes and crafts they care to play. The jobs don't even slow you down, they share levels with the class. I think you need to reassess your statement, it's horribly flawed.


Telling someone to reassess their statement, when yours is based on nothing but guesses and what you suspect? Smiley: dubious

[img=241792]


Lol the irony of YOU posting this.
#70 Aug 19 2013 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
I dont know why everyone was expecting a finished product from an open beta. Every single open beta i've ever played had its glitches and easy mode problems. But by far, this is the most polished beta ive seen from a game yet and i expect there to be great things for this MMO. I've seen far worse beta's for games that turned out ok at launch, for instance all of the starcraft, warcraft, and diablo games. Those 3 were probably among the highest anticipated, but with the worst beta turnouts. Nothing could have been easier and more glitch ridden than the diablo 3 beta, not to mention all of the exploits in the first act alone. That being said, ARR's beta has been the most organized and methodical of any beta ive experienced. I am going to give SE the benefit of the doubt on this one and say not to worry about anything that we've seen in beta testing so far. As much as we wanted to test out the full capabilities of the game, Im sure SE had plans testing we the gamers out as well.
#71 Aug 19 2013 at 1:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Jeraziah wrote:

I feel like a huge reason everyone is speaking so highly about the game is because of how amazing it is in contrast to FFXIV 1.0, because it really is a huge difference.


I love the game, and I compare it to FFXI. I never played FFXIV version 1 and the beta blew me away. FFXIV:ARR is appreciated by some FFXI vets because most of us are older and like to be able to accomplish tasks on our own agenda because we no longer have the time to enter into the sink anymore. Also, we like the FF universe. I'd take that universe over Guild Wars, WoW, Star Wars (although that comes second), Rift, or any other MMORPGs.

Look around at the console players. What MMo options do we have really? There are currently no MMORPGs on Xbox (Defiance doesn't count and PSU was shut down) and PS3 has FFXI and this game. This is the best out there for those of us who are tired of FFXI.

Jeraziah wrote:
The graphics are above average at best

I played 3DS on my little screen prior to this and the last MMO I played was FFXI. I love me some textures.

Jeraziah wrote:
But gameplay? Most classes spam the same ability over and over and over again with little to no variation for a long time.

Try THM. You have a decent range of single source and aoe spells (long range at 18, short range earlier with Blizzard II), you get sleep (immensely helpful in dungeons), and a non-elemental dd spell. I'm sure as with FFXI that this range of spells will improve with expansions (or at least by unlocking black mage). If you stick with it and get white mage, I am sure your range of options will increase. [/quote]

Jeraziah wrote:
Overall, I feel the game is a little too much on the easy side.


Maybe that is because you are a good player. Granted, I did only die once on my lvl 15 thm quest (before I realized I had the spell Sleep) so you might be right, but I would bet it gets more challenging as it goes on. Nothing is more discouraging than dying when you are trying to learn a class... Now dying when you know the class, then that's just poor planning.

Jeraziah wrote:
XIV lacks any of the hardships that XI had.

Access to the map and a journal are not lack of hardships. They are staple in every game I've played over the last 5 years. FFXI had no access to a journal or map lettign you know where to go. This gave PC players with Windower the advantage because they could overcome the "hardship" by setting up two screens (one with the map, voila).

Jeraziah wrote:
Traveling is way too easy in XIV, so if I die, I'm not concerned about getting back to my location.

I am, teleporting costs a big chunk of change. In FFXI it costed a chunk of time. To me, time is money.

Jeraziah wrote:
There is no XP loss like in XI either so death doesn't really mean anything. I actually disliked XP loss/leveling down, but still it made you really not want to die and was a good adrenaline pump when you got low in fights.


That may have been for just the beta. I remember reading somewhere that a penalty would be implemented eventually.

Jeraziah wrote:
I know a lot of players hated how XI punished you, required you to camp a spot for literally a ridiculous amount of hours, etc. But things like that are what make events memorable. I can still remember hanging out with a couple friends camping Othinus' Bow for literally hours and the great feeling when the NM spawned and we got the drop. I can remember camping for Joyeuse with friends, getting the claim and getting the sword for people I didn't even know in real life. It was exciting to help others. A lot of things were so dangerous and difficult in XI that players got a sense of accomplishment for purely helping others and not even getting anything in return. Need to kill an NM that normally needs a party? Let's get a badass 75RDM/NIN to solo it and give him a chance to show off.


Now those people have jobs and kids.

Jeraziah wrote:
I just have very little faith in XIV to deliver anywhere close to what XI has given us. I can still remember the names of people I used to play with on XI, and now in XIV we have Duty Finder giving us strangers on other servers that I can't even make friends with and socialize with because after the group is done, we part ways and never speak again.


I partied with Zam ls buddies. Actually duty finder didn't work so well when entered solo.

Jeraziah wrote:
Instead of XP parties where you can chat and have a good time with people, you have FATEs where countless people gangbang a mob Rift style and move on, no socializing or bonding that XI offered.


Also giving you the freedom to quit when you need to (emergencies), without feeling that you ****** off five people.

Jeraziah wrote:
I know being negative about a game getting so much hype right now is probably a stupid topic to bring up, but I really want XIV to succeed in the long run and at the moment it seems like a fairly hollow game getting a lot of false praise because of how good it is in comparison to the earlier iteration.


Maybe it is not the game for you. You seem to like FFXI a lot, and that is a good thing. Be with your people, good sir.



Edited, Aug 19th 2013 2:52pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#72 Aug 19 2013 at 1:59 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
IMFW wrote:
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.


I saw alot of this, and that bothered me. Everything they need to know is there if they would read. The big one was when some guy was complaining about not being able to find a mob in the hunting log because "the area isn't highlighted on the map". Um...it's a hunting log Smiley: oyvey


The dude is on the hill above the restaurant. I was spamming quests and didn't get that at first but eventually found him. The time limit on the beta really changed the way I play. Reading cut into my hours.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#73 Aug 19 2013 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,910 posts
I feel the presence of socks...

This game is good for a 3 to 6 month provisional subscription. If within that time, I find it boring I will leave. But no one's had access to all the content, no one knows the content roadmap or what's in store with that content. The first 30 levels (P3) and now a fresh new 20 levels have told me that I could easily subscribe. I liked what I've seen so far. Is that a trap? Maybe, but oh well I spent ~40 bucks in subs for a game I ended up liking at first and then not. Why does the game have to be a forever after success before it's even officially launched?
____________________________
Ultros: Brinna Vahn
#74 Aug 19 2013 at 2:20 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
IMFW wrote:
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.


I saw alot of this, and that bothered me. Everything they need to know is there if they would read. The big one was when some guy was complaining about not being able to find a mob in the hunting log because "the area isn't highlighted on the map". Um...it's a hunting log Smiley: oyvey



Lol thats too funny!

____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#75 Aug 19 2013 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
For me, once I hit level 10 I just did gathering, but there where a number of instances where people where forming groups. Most of them from the sounds of it farmed fates then pulled mobs until the fates came back. I can't say from personal experience how well it worked, but it doesn't seem like a terrible option once most of your quests are used up.
#76 Aug 19 2013 at 2:48 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
279 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
Would it really be so hard to implement a system like duty finder to pair you with people on the same server, then fill in the gaps from other servers? This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work. There is no sense of accomplishment from anything. I quit WoW because I was bored, I quit XI because it became to hard to get anything done, and the player base became all about the grind.

I was indeed hoping to find some of the great things they had in XI, like partying to level up. Everything seems to be so focused on solo content and easy. This game really doesn't offer anything new that I can't get from Guildwars 2 at this point, and for no monthly fee. In fact I just felt like I was in WoW starting areas, endless quests, with boring story line.

I loved XI, and played it for a long time. I probably would have gone back, would now as well, if I hadn't lost my square enix log in info for my character. I also can't get into the e-mail that I used for that account to recover the information (happens to be a yahoo account that was hacked and for some reason they can't help me recover it). But then I know if I did, it would be the same old thing, of sitting around and now it's so top heavy no one does anything anyway. I guess I was hoping for a fresh take on XI. What we got was a combining of WoW, guildwars, and rift. I know, I will get a lot of hate from the die hard FF fans, but truth is truth. I pre-ordered and after open beta, I'm rather regretting it.

Why do they have such a hard time finding a balance for those who like easy mode and those of us who like a challenge? It can be done. Also what some of you fail to get, is that we are not complaining just to complain, I am sincerely disappointed, I so wanted it to be great. I wanted a challenge, and there has been none of it that I have seen.

We keep being told to wait till level 50. It's a new game folks, you don't have to luxury of making people wait that long. It needs to be good from the start, including lv 1-10. If it's not good, fun, engaging from the start, why in the world would I bother to reach 50? The die hards are always going to hate criticism of their game, I don't blame you. But defending what people are obviously finding fault with, will not help the game. I bought the game and will probably play for at least the free 30 days, but I don't believe it can hold my interest for more than that. I can play a solo game and get the same thing I am getting in what is supposed to be an MMO.

Here's a though, WoW all ready has the game for the people looking for easy and solo play, why not make a game that is for those who want more challenge? Or maybe I'm just going to have to give up on MMO's and play those solo games, there really is no point to MMO any more when no one plays or interacts together other than shouting at one another in chat. I'm just so disappointed, and I suppose sad.


I agree 100%, I understand people enjoy easy mode but it tends to get extremely old and boring fast when you have no challenge or everything becomes too easy. You also shouldn't have to level to max level 50 to see the challenging content of the game either, one of the reasons i enjoyed and played the **** out of FF11 ( and never bothered to touch WoW after vanilla ) was because there was a lot fo stuff to do through all levels not just max level, and also everything felt like a great adventure with something new around every corner and felt like the game experience would never end.

this game now as much as i forced myself to enjoy ( no offense also t those that do but I do deserve to give it my own personal opinion on it as anyone else is entitled to ) but considering how easy and accesible things are what is going to wind up happening is more than half of player base will just max cap, play for few months tops and then grow bored and move on to the next "WoW killer" or anything else with uber hype.

I have yet to play a MMORPG after FF11 that has made me feel like i was part of a huge adventure. I loved having to play with others and being a priority because I play online RPG to be able to play with people and not by myself ( also not saying that mandatory 100% is required but it should be at bare minimal 50% of game ) and honestly as a huge huge HUGE ff11 ex player ( also quit after abyssea when it became easy mode ) and I also enjoyed 1.20 ff14 a bit this ARR is a let down and average game at best.

Id wish the game would of gone a different way but what can we do. The company tried to please too many people at once and this is almost impossible.

to those that continue to spew the classic "its still in beta" if i only had a dime for every time someone said this while playing FF14 1.0 for 2 years+ more this id be rich lol. This game has a long *** time in development and also a resurrection of a already released game. "game is in beta" is void statement.

P.S-
gathering and crafting some of the most fun i had in any game, also UI improvement is huge on this version I love controller mode ^^, just wish the game was not solo mode ( with few spammable dungeons in between ) etc as discussed by many people before me.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:50pm by KingAlkaiser
____________________________
I Am Alpha And Omega
The Beginning And The End
The First And The Last
--------------------------
DRG/WAR-http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?57308
SMN/WHM- http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?57308
#77 Aug 19 2013 at 3:39 PM Rating: Default
*
220 posts
I started this request for Duty Finder only on my server, in the feedback forums, so far the answer I got is that Yoshi-P said the queues would be too long. I kind of disagree, since I think if I knew there were people on my server who needed a dungeon for a quest, I would go help out - but if they are random people from other servers I won't bother helping. Perhaps FFXI players are more mature and helpful, we definitely had a reputation from that in FFXI and yes this isn't FFXI but there are still a lot of us, and hopefully we can set a good example for this generation of players.

I would assume you'd try to search on your server first, but failing that you'd go cross server, since it is an option - so eventually you'd offer yourself up as a player in the full cross-server pool. And others who care less about making friends/community would go straight to cross-server.

I made a post on the beta forums: http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/106777-Option-to-link-with-only-players-on-the-same-server

And here too: http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=137694411273901685&p=1#6

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 5:40pm by SyniteonReflux
#78 Aug 19 2013 at 3:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
52 posts
I dont see why the beta argument cant apply here, if in fact the versions that we've seen so far is the beta. 95% of this game is different from 1.0 and based on what i saw and experienced in beta4, i am going to give SE every bit of the benefit of doubt.

#79 Aug 19 2013 at 5:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,337 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work.


You, quite clearly, haven't played FFXIV: A Realm Reborn.

Ulman wrote:
For me, once I hit level 10 I just did gathering, but there where a number of instances where people where forming groups. Most of them from the sounds of it farmed fates then pulled mobs until the fates came back. I can't say from personal experience how well it worked, but it doesn't seem like a terrible option once most of your quests are used up.


If you have an extra set of gear that's also a *fantastic* way to kill time, level, and get some spiritbound gear.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 7:07pm by Viertel
#80 Aug 19 2013 at 5:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I think the biggest mistake people make about SE's MMOs, and thus ARR, is that when you get to level 50 you've won the game.

I say this as someone who has had 20 level 99s in FFXI for almost a year and still isn't done with the game.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#81 Aug 19 2013 at 5:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
405 posts
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work.


To anyone who complains about lacking community or lacking socialization: you're simply not trying. I had 4 people send me a random tell while I was fishing asking how it was. One guy recommended I put up stealth, another just stopped by and said "what a beautiful spot to fish," and another just /cheered and /waved. I would /tell random strangers if I saw something cool (the airship minion) and how to get it. Doing similar questlines found you walking with people occassionally so I'd say hi. People can be understandably wary of random strangers, but most will be very nice if you type properly, ask politely, and aren't asking for gil or something. But at first YOU have to be the one to reach out and try to make a friend. It chain-reactions and next thing you'll have tons of in-game friends.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 7:32pm by Loris
#82 Aug 19 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Loris wrote:
Tigerlilly03 wrote:
This game is greatly lacking in the elements of socializing and team work.


To anyone who complains about lacking community or lacking socialization: you're simply not trying. I had 4 people send me a random tell while I was fishing asking how it was. One guy recommended I put up stealth, another just stopped by and said "what a beautiful spot to fish," and another just /cheered and /waved. I would /tell random strangers if I saw something cool (the airship minion) and how to get it. Doing similar questlines found you walking with people occassionally so I'd say hi. People can be understandably wary of random strangers, but most will be very nice if you type properly, ask politely, and aren't asking for gil or something. But at first YOU have to be the one to reach out and try to make a friend. It chain-reactions and next thing you'll have tons of in-game friends.


Exactly this. You have to actually put in an effort if you expect to get something out of it. It's the main reason I kind of took on the initiative of forming the ZAM LS, because I really wanted a chance to friend lots of people from these forums so that I won't have issues in-game with finding groups, but also just for the social aspect of it. Just chatting in LS is some of my most fond memories in any game, and in every single circumstance, I wouldn't have gotten to that point if I wasn't vocal and outgoing. If you are shy, you probably aren't going to make many friends in-game. If you are loquacious and friendly, you probably will. One of the biggest reasons I'm so excited about XIV is because of the amazing community we are already forming in-game via the ZAM LS. It is so rewarding to always have people on to chat with, ask questions, or do content with.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#83 Aug 19 2013 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
***
3,386 posts
Catwho wrote:
I think the biggest mistake people make about SE's MMOs, and thus ARR, is that when you get to level 50 you've won the game.

I say this as someone who has had 20 level 99s in FFXI for almost a year and still isn't done with the game.


YES

I can't say that biggly enough.

Leveling isn't the game, it's one aspect of the game!
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#84 Aug 19 2013 at 6:23 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
The Crystal Tower thing won't even be in at launch though. I wonder what people will have to do at max level?
#85 Aug 19 2013 at 6:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
392 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
[
Leveling isn't the game, it's one aspect of the game!


^ This. Why are so many people forgetting this. It's like some crazy race to see who can get all their jobs to 50 and then stand around going "i made it to 50, how about you", "me too, i'm 50" "50 50 50". A few months later it's going to be "this game sucks, there is nothing to do" while the rest of us enjoy all the aspects FFXIV has to offer.
____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#86 Aug 19 2013 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
102 posts
never post when ur passing out XD i'll edit this so it makes sence.

OK, I prefer straight mob killing over quest leveling. I enjoy killing monsters non stop getting exp over time, as in some ways is faster then quest base leveling. What I mean by that is, when you're doing a quest a good chunk is spent walking from point a to b to c to quest giver. Some have you walk for 6 min with only 1K exp reward at the end. In ffxi even before the exp increase and buffers you could solo 1K faster then 6 min, even faster in a group.

Infact i got levels 1-6 faster in ffxiv just mob chaining then i did doing all the intro quests and story. I think SE should increase exp for the mobs so those who enjoy mob killing can do so. It will also increase the level speed for those who quest.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 7:17am by Darkfae77
#87 Aug 19 2013 at 9:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
IMFW wrote:
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.


I saw alot of this, and that bothered me. Everything they need to know is there if they would read. The big one was when some guy was complaining about not being able to find a mob in the hunting log because "the area isn't highlighted on the map". Um...it's a hunting log Smiley: oyvey


I was having a hard time finding Spriggans in one of the hunt logs, and the area it told you they were was in Black Brush. On the map Black Brush is like way the **** north from where the Spriggans actually were. That kinda bothered me a bit. All I had to do was /sh hey where the **** are these Spriggans! but I had looked for a good thirty minutes before I thought to ask. Some of the information so far in quests and whatnot will more then likely lead you to your goal, but there are a fe spots in this game where they are either misleading, or maybe not enough info. Another example I could think of is for some of the levequests where you have to first collect an item from mobs, then sprinkle the item on another type of enemy to reveal if they are hidden imps. It took me a bit to even figure out what they were asking me to do, and most the time I just whacked whatever had a card above his head and sometimes it might be an imp. I did later figure it out, but it was still little misleading at first.
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#88 Aug 20 2013 at 12:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
121 posts
I am so glad XIV is not like XI. I have played every single FF series staple with exception to XI because I have things to do other than gaming on occaison. I was adamantly anti-MMO for a very long time due to the lack of storyline combined with the inability to ever complete the game, and thus a neverending timesuck. XIV allows me to enjoy what I love best about FF and what I should have loved about MMO's, but wasn't willing to give them a chance for. To me this game is the best of both worlds.
____________________________
[img]http://xivreborn.com/gen/Erik_Highwind_Coeurl_Classes.jpg[/img]
#89 Aug 20 2013 at 12:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
supermegazeke wrote:
PhrozenFFXI wrote:
IMFW wrote:
What really blew my mind is i never knew so many people dont read quests, This one quest you had to get the food orders from four people in this bar, the quest tells you dont forget the man on the roof of the bar and all day in that zone were people shouting where is the forth guy. Seems like people need to slow down alittle and look around.


I saw alot of this, and that bothered me. Everything they need to know is there if they would read. The big one was when some guy was complaining about not being able to find a mob in the hunting log because "the area isn't highlighted on the map". Um...it's a hunting log Smiley: oyvey


I was having a hard time finding Spriggans in one of the hunt logs, and the area it told you they were was in Black Brush. On the map Black Brush is like way the **** north from where the Spriggans actually were. That kinda bothered me a bit. All I had to do was /sh hey where the **** are these Spriggans! but I had looked for a good thirty minutes before I thought to ask. Some of the information so far in quests and whatnot will more then likely lead you to your goal, but there are a fe spots in this game where they are either misleading, or maybe not enough info. Another example I could think of is for some of the levequests where you have to first collect an item from mobs, then sprinkle the item on another type of enemy to reveal if they are hidden imps. It took me a bit to even figure out what they were asking me to do, and most the time I just whacked whatever had a card above his head and sometimes it might be an imp. I did later figure it out, but it was still little misleading at first.


The hunting logs are more intuitive when you start out as the class. The Spriggan Graverobbers, for example, are shoved in your face because part of the Ul'dahn main quest line forces you to go down that pit they live in.
#90 Aug 20 2013 at 1:07 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
746 posts
You should stop comparing XIV to XI. XI is a non sequitur in game development and always was, even when it was new.
#91 Aug 20 2013 at 3:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
617 posts
Killua125 wrote:
The Crystal Tower thing won't even be in at launch though. I wonder what people will have to do at max level?


-PvP (once it gets fully ironed out)
-Hard and Extreme modes of dungeons, Primals, etc.
-High level FATEs (Odin, Behemoth, etc.)
-Relic weapon quest
-Bahamut's Labyrinth Part 1 (which is supposed to come, difficulty wise, AFTER Crystal Tower. So unless Yoshi's priorities in endgame dungeon difficulty changed, this raid might very well be unbeatable when it's launched due to lack of Crystal Tower gear)

There will be plenty of endgame activities to do. I always hated how people assumed Crystal Tower getting delayed = OMG NO ENDGAME or OMG HE'S NERFING CRYSTAL TOWER ENDGAME WILL BE A FACEROLL!!!11!!!1!
#92 Aug 20 2013 at 3:55 AM Rating: Excellent
1 post
I had fun while playing it. Since the point of a game is to entertain, and I was very entertained by it all weekend, I'd say its a good game.
#93 Aug 20 2013 at 4:39 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
11,054 posts
Distancing myself from the BS about difficulty or even FFXI nostalgia, something I find myself flustered with is the absolute and utter insistence that a game is only good if it will last for years for an individual.

Perhaps to clarify, I hope the FFXIV I play now is not the same FFXIV I could potentially be playing a year from now. This means reasonable progression and an aggressive update schedule that brings new and meaningful content. In effect, this means portions of the game will only last months for me at best, and I certainly have no interest in being for forced to slog through outdated content just because a few feel everything needs to be pertinent forever and that some feelings would be hurt if maybe someone else had the same gear.

If this means I take a break for a month or two every now and then if SE falls behind, so be it. Don't fall into that trap of loyalty because when they believe they can't lose you as a customer, they're more apt to start taking shortcuts on production or making flimsy excuses for why certain things can/t/won't happen because that plays perfectly into that mentality of stringing things out for years. No, they should be fighting for you month after month, because the game needs to be loyal to us as consumers and gamers even more so. That means good value, good fun, and not being treated like crap by the devs or players influenced by terrible dev practices (grinds, poor RNG, promoting elitist mentalities, etc.). If such an EZ Mode game scares off a few hardcores but attracts numerous substitutes to take their place and then some? Fine with me. Though what's sounding like 3.5 weeks for a single piece of AF+1 due to currency acquisition caps doesn't leave me particularly inspired and that Yoshi already has the game slated for some bad MMO habits. After all, we're more than one class per character here.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 6:41am by Seriha
____________________________
Violence good. **** bad. Yay America.
#94 Aug 20 2013 at 4:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
311 posts
Killua125 wrote:
The Crystal Tower thing won't even be in at launch though. I wonder what people will have to do at max level?


I'll pop on a different weapon and start leveling another class. SE said that they'd be adding new content every few months or so. I doubt I'll have more than 3-4 jobs at 50 by then.

Seeing as I'm interested in playing WHM, PLD, MNK, and SMN at least, I'd say I have a good bit of content to keep me occupied.
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#95 Aug 20 2013 at 4:53 AM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Westyle wrote:
How do you have difficult long term accomplishments and still make it fun and fast paced? That's the issue MMOs face. I want to get stuff done, but at the same time I don't want the entire server to be running around in the ultimate armor because it's so accessible.


You can stretch out a long-term goal over several smaller, but still significant milestones. The trouble is, SE doesn't quite understand how to do that very well.

Relics in FFXI were a good example. For those who don't know, you get a base weapon and upgrade it several times until finally you build it into an amazing piece of gear. In theory it's a great idea, but the weapon was absolutely worthless all the way up until it was completed. If they had made it so each upgrade was somewhat significant then it would have made the journey much less painful and would have actually felt like progress.

Aside from the combat system, this is one of the big question marks for me. It isn't completely foreign for SE to incorporate seeming brilliant ideas, but they usually fall flat in their implementation and the direction they take following their introduction. Evoliths, synergy augments and MMM all come to mind as things that really could have given FFXI more depth and dimension, but they just weren't implemented well. Hopefully Yoshi will be able to bring similar ideas and revolutionize MMOs in this way instead of trying to reinvent the wheel so to speak.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#96 Aug 20 2013 at 5:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
102 posts
honestly what rubs me the wrong way a bit is reading some posts with that "wow" mentality in mind. Such as the "i have a life i can't play all day" as an excuse for content to be "fast pace". Meaning they can do it in a single try and get their reward.

And about making content obsolete once more content is added. My personal belief is that shouldn't be the case ever, why? New people join mmo in various stages of an mmos. Some join around launch some later in the year some in years to come. I quit ffxi over the change in community with the leech mentality solo mentalty.

Quick story:

I join ffxi after coming back from a quit (not one i wanted but had to) I made a new character and joined a LS. I leveled best i could and got to 25 and wanted to do the Dragon fight, a guy asked if anyone needed help and I said. Ya i have the dragon fight mind helping? He flat out refused saying "No its not worth my time, leech to cap and solo it, stop being lazy". I just wanted to do something with LS mates :/
#97 Aug 20 2013 at 5:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
102 posts
sorry for double post, I'm on my ps3 which has a text limit in typing.

Having a once and done mentality in mmo is pretty contradictive to HOW mmorpg are set up. Alot of content is and can be repeatable, and everyone who join should get to experience all the content with in the game. I rather not see the "once i get my gear i'm done"mindset it ruins the MMO community vibe. And turns the game to be unfriendly tward new players.
#98 Aug 20 2013 at 6:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
ErikHighwind wrote:
I am so glad XIV is not like XI. I have played every single FF series staple with exception to XI because I have things to do other than gaming on occaison. I was adamantly anti-MMO for a very long time due to the lack of storyline combined with the inability to ever complete the game, and thus a neverending timesuck. XIV allows me to enjoy what I love best about FF and what I should have loved about MMO's, but wasn't willing to give them a chance for. To me this game is the best of both worlds.


Lack of storyline? FFXI has a dozen distinct storylines. Vana'diel is one of the richest universes that SE has dreamed up - at least two parallel planes of existence, time travel, the beginning and end of the world, and always a perky heroine at your side, alternately cheering you on or kicking *** and taking names. Each expansion is like a mini FF game in its own right. (Well, maybe not Rise of the Zilart, since that's really just an extension of the main storyline and too short by itself.)

Some of the cutscenes are 5-10 minutes long, just like any other FF game. About the only thing it lacks is additional fully rendered CG movies, but I think that's primarily a budget consideration.

XI is on its 5th major expansion (so basically its fifth brand new FF storyline) and they keep adding new stuff. In the last few updates they've added the ability to play as a monster, effectively giving us twenty new jobs to level x_x

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 12:14pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#99 Aug 20 2013 at 6:15 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
310 posts
i really wanted to play XI, but the amount of time i needed to place on it put me off real quickly as i lack that sort of luxury, FFXIV on the other hand doesn't seem to be as time-consuming...(ignoring those crazy achievements which i'll do too, but will take a long...longgggg time), so yes i like FFXIV, pre-ordered and waiting eagerly =D

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:16am by MitArgento
#100 Aug 20 2013 at 6:19 AM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Darkfae77 wrote:
honestly what rubs me the wrong way a bit is reading some posts with that "wow" mentality in mind. Such as the "i have a life i can't play all day" as an excuse for content to be "fast pace". Meaning they can do it in a single try and get their reward.

And about making content obsolete once more content is added. My personal belief is that shouldn't be the case ever, why? New people join mmo in various stages of an mmos. Some join around launch some later in the year some in years to come. I quit ffxi over the change in community with the leech mentality solo mentalty.

Quick story:

I join ffxi after coming back from a quit (not one i wanted but had to) I made a new character and joined a LS. I leveled best i could and got to 25 and wanted to do the Dragon fight, a guy asked if anyone needed help and I said. Ya i have the dragon fight mind helping? He flat out refused saying "No its not worth my time, leech to cap and solo it, stop being lazy". I just wanted to do something with LS mates :/


In the earlier days of FFXI, you were not going to get anything done in any reasonable amount of time unless you were a NIN, PLD, RDM, BLM or BRD and even then, sometimes it took a little compromise or a lot of luck. There is stark contrast between wanting to be able to get something done in a reasonable amount of time and wanting quick handouts.

Another thing about FFXI(somewhat related to your story) is that at certain periods in that game's life cycle, people were starved for things to do. It's not that I'm trying to excuse that person's conduct, but often I remember hearing the same thing in my social LS. People ask if anyone needs help with anything not thinking that it might be a trivial task. In reality, they wanted someone to provide them an excuse to do something they didn't really want to do but had nothing else better going on. They were asking if people needed help instead of saying what they really wanted, which was "Someone please come up with something we can do to cure my boredom" Smiley: nod
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#101 Aug 20 2013 at 7:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Honestly, Ifrit Extreme along with extra Nael Van Darnus fight were probably harder then anything FFXI offered. Or they are at the very least comparable to FFXI's tough fights. Heck, the bard af body fight (think it was body), took us multiple tries and felt harder then most Zilart gods and COP fights. What was the beauty of all this? As a casual player, I could complete most things with little help, or, I could join the multiple shouts for those crazy bosses and have fun getting my *** handed to me. It was a good balance, and I think ARR will maintain that.
____________________________

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 89 All times are in CDT
Callinon, Anonymous Guests (88)