Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Does the Zam Linkshell need saving?Follow

#1 Aug 19 2013 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
725 posts
As per Bartel, a decison has not been reached. So...
Does the Zam Linkshell need saving? Can we vote on this? How is it being decided?

I started this thread because I jumped to a conclusion after reading Admin Thayos's post:
Quoted by ADMIN Thayos: I am all for keeping the name. Who will start the east and west linkshells at early launch? I could start the west ls, if people can wait a few hours for me to get online... Think I work that day.

Apologies...

I wouldn't want to split the shell to EC/WC because if we are all on the EC then it could mean that there are less people because of work stuff and then it gets busy when people get out of work and do dinner and then come on.

I have a very flexible schedule, so for me, being with EC and WC means more people availabe. I would miss being with people I've already enjoyed in game because of EC/WC thing. SE already has us seperated via servers which aren't availble if we are not JP or Europe. Yes, we may randomly meet someone in duty finder, but its different.

And my experience in FFXI was that more people were on my server that were WC, so things picked up later at night, but by then it was time to sleep. I guess I'm trying to avoid a split.

Also, I would rather have a FC that could include us all, both EC/WC then be split up with ls.
Please don't fix what isn't broke!
We have an amazing Linkshell.
We don't know yet if the shell will be full come Release day because many people may go to another world or another shell.



Edited once I found out that no decision has been made yet.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 6:41pm by Grandmomma
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#2 Aug 19 2013 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
311 posts
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#3 Aug 19 2013 at 2:07 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?


No, somepeople want to split the linkshell. One for EC and another for WC.

I think we need to vote on this. We have a couple of days before we have to decide, and we can go into the EA before making changes.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#4 Aug 19 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
217 posts
I agree! We didn't have just West coasters and East Coasters, we had several from the Philippines and other countries who helped make the LS banter so much fun. Plus having diverse time zones assures there will be people active in the LS around the clock. Please don't change it.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 1:24pm by Lorielll
____________________________
Aeloriel Autumnleaf - Ultros Server

Karma Zameleons - LS
The Kraken Club - Zam Free Company

It's not the destination, it's the Journey!

#5 Aug 19 2013 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
488 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?


No, somepeople want to split the linkshell. One for EC and another for WC.

I think we need to vote on this. We have a couple of days before we have to decide, and we can go into the EA before making changes.

What is the point of this? Why would a chat be split? This makes no sense unless the LS was full... I can see FC's being EC/WC b.c of raids but splitting the LS is pointless.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:12pm by Mopdaddy
#6 Aug 19 2013 at 2:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
They want to split it so everyone can get in.. There are more people that want in than the ls can hold. Some people like me could not get in because of the Error or were not in beta.. So they want to make 2 shells so everyone has a chance. Quit being so selfish or why dont you give up your spot.
If there is more people than there is space for it will happen no matter what anyway they are not going to leave people out.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#7 Aug 19 2013 at 2:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,450 posts
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?


Currently linkshells are limited to 128 people. There are more people than that who want to be in the Zam LS.

My preference is not to split it, personally.. mostly because this is exactly the sort of thing a linkshell is for. Free Companies are more goal-oriented, and there are going to be people here with different goals than others. I certainly do hope that they raise that limit though, because it's tiny; or maybe another solution presents itself.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#8 Aug 19 2013 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
377 posts
The LS filled up rather rapidly during P4 and people are wondering what to do once the LS gets full. I for one thing that the FC idea is a good one since we could all still chat like we do in a LS and all could fit (hopefully) into it since there is a larger number of characters allowed.
____________________________
What? Did you expect something witty?

The Kraken Club - FC on Ultros
Arylin Moonsong - Ultros
Mimiroo Underhill - Ultros
#9 Aug 19 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
129 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?


Currently linkshells are limited to 128 people. There are more people than that who want to be in the Zam LS.

My preference is not to split it, personally.. mostly because this is exactly the sort of thing a linkshell is for. Free Companies are more goal-oriented, and there are going to be people here with different goals than others. I certainly do hope that they raise that limit though, because it's tiny; or maybe another solution presents itself.


The ZAM linkshell is approaching the 128 limit cap.
#10 Aug 19 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,310 posts
We have more visitors than there are player slots allowed in a linkshell (128). At some point, you'll have no choice but to have several shells.
#11 Aug 19 2013 at 2:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
488 posts
WTF is wrong with SE why would they put a chat number so freaking low! SE never fails to disappoint with the little things, the common sense things.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:18pm by Mopdaddy
#12 Aug 19 2013 at 2:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
129 posts
So what's gonna happen? There are obviously more ZAM people wanting to join but there are only a handful of spots available in the LS.
#13 Aug 19 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
What is going to happen is everyone is going to take 2 really deep breaths and wait till Early Access and figure things out when it gets here.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#14 Aug 19 2013 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
*
232 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?

No, somepeople want to split the linkshell. One for EC and another for WC.

I think we need to vote on this. We have a couple of days before we have to decide, and we can go into the EA before making changes.

From the sound of things, we're going to turn Karma Zameleons into a FC in order to support our growing numbers. From there, we can create a few smaller linkshells in order to organize some of the more time sensitive things. We would all still be in the same group and be able to communicate—it would just have a different label.
____________________________
Don Fletcher (Ultros)
#15Killua125, Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 2:21 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Good thing you're not a LS leader, that's pretty bad planning when a ton of people are involved.
#16 Aug 19 2013 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Nashred wrote:
They want to split it so everyone can get in.. There are more people that want in than the ls can hold. Some people like me could not get in because of the Error or were not in beta.. So they want to make 2 shells so everyone has a chance. Quit being so selfish or why dont you give up your spot.
If there is more people than there is space for it will happen no matter what anyway they are not going to leave people out.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred


We don't know yet if the shell will get full. Its too early to say. The game isn't released yet. Splitting the shell means that not everyone can get in, because of our locations. Its the exact opposite of inclusion, its exclusion. Splitting the shell will still leave people out. Yes, we could have both shells, but we still would have to unequp one to go to the other, and we would lose the continuity of conversation. Its not like having two websites, where you can have both windows open.

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#17 Aug 19 2013 at 2:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Refews wrote:
What is going to happen is everyone is going to take 2 really deep breaths and wait till Early Access and figure things out when it gets here.


Good thing you're not a LS leader, that's pretty bad planning when a ton of people are involved.


This is not a way to make friends.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#18 Aug 19 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
725 posts
FrozenSherbet wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
Teracide wrote:
Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?

No, somepeople want to split the linkshell. One for EC and another for WC.

I think we need to vote on this. We have a couple of days before we have to decide, and we can go into the EA before making changes.

From the sound of things, we're going to turn Karma Zameleons into a FC in order to support our growing numbers. From there, we can create a few smaller linkshells in order to organize some of the more time sensitive things. We would all still be in the same group and be able to communicate—it would just have a different label.


Nothing has been decided. This is just dialogue. Voting options would be nice. FC's require time and organization, as well as assigning people to be in control of distributions. It can be complicated. FC creation is a whole other thing.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#19Killua125, Posted: Aug 19 2013 at 2:26 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Just being honest as a leader of large guilds on other games. You should definitely decide what you guys want to do before early access, not "see how things go".
#20 Aug 19 2013 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
Nashred wrote:
They want to split it so everyone can get in.. There are more people that want in than the ls can hold. Some people like me could not get in because of the Error or were not in beta.. So they want to make 2 shells so everyone has a chance. Quit being so selfish or why dont you give up your spot.
If there is more people than there is space for it will happen no matter what anyway they are not going to leave people out.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred


We don't know yet if the shell will get full. Its too early to say. The game isn't released yet. Splitting the shell means that not everyone can get in, because of our locations. Its the exact opposite of inclusion, its exclusion. Splitting the shell will still leave people out. Yes, we could have both shells, but we still would have to unequp one to go to the other, and we would lose the continuity of conversation. Its not like having two websites, where you can have both windows open.



Then why even post a new thread on it ?


Grandmomma wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
[quote=Grandmomma][quote=Teracide]Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?



Nothing has been decided. This is just dialogue. Voting options would be nice. FC's require time and organization, as well as assigning people to be in control of distributions. It can be complicated. FC creation is a whole other thing.


Again Then why even post a new thread on it ?

Your making a big deal out of nothing.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:29pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#21 Aug 19 2013 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Refews wrote:
What is going to happen is everyone is going to take 2 really deep breaths and wait till Early Access and figure things out when it gets here.


Good thing you're not a LS leader, that's pretty bad planning when a ton of people are involved.


I get your point, but you can only really plan for things when you know all the avenues you can expect. I tend not to put effort into being proactive about stuff when I don't know the complete situation. We have no idea if the cap on LS was just for beta or not. We will know when the game starts, and then we can deal with it. I'm just advocating to relax and keep it in the back of your mind rather than trying to predict every possible pathway without knowing the full situation. I am sure a lot of us are going to be playing this for at least a few months, so if it takes a day or two to figure things out, it will be a drop in the bucket. But carry on though... I see the value in trying to predict the future, it can be fun.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#22 Aug 19 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
488 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Just being honest as a leader of large guilds on other games. You should definitely decide what you guys want to do before early access, not "see how things go".

It sounds like you don't have much choice other than to make a secondary LS for now. It sounds a little bit selfish of you to say "I like how it is now, so let's lock everybody else out because I'm happy".

Just how I see it.

You guys can always re-merge it when there's options to increase the member size more.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:28pm by Killua125

This is only a chat channel, it's not a guild(free company)
#23 Aug 19 2013 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Grandmomma wrote:
Killua125 wrote:
Refews wrote:
What is going to happen is everyone is going to take 2 really deep breaths and wait till Early Access and figure things out when it gets here.


Good thing you're not a LS leader, that's pretty bad planning when a ton of people are involved.


This is not a way to make friends.


Wait, Killua is in it? I am no longer jealous.
____________________________


#24 Aug 19 2013 at 2:34 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
No, I'm not.
#25 Aug 19 2013 at 2:36 PM Rating: Excellent
*
180 posts
I might be missing something, but I don't really understand what the difference is.

In an FC don't you still have options to chat? If we have just one big FC we can all still pull people from all the different timezones to do activities and events (dungeon runs etc). If we split the current Zameleons into EC and WC LSs, as long as everyone is in the FC, there is still not that much of a difference. We can all be one big happy, chatty cathy, universal across all timezones community. I must be missing something.

Also, I am pretty sure you can have more than one LS equipped at a time. Not positive, but pretty sure. That is why next to your name when you type in LS chat you see [1]. I think if you had multiple LSs equipped you would see [2] before the name if someone from your 2nd LS was chatting.
____________________________
Kezia Canadensis
Ultros
TKC <ZAM>
#26 Aug 19 2013 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Nashred wrote:
Grandmomma wrote:
Nashred wrote:
They want to split it so everyone can get in.. There are more people that want in than the ls can hold. Some people like me could not get in because of the Error or were not in beta.. So they want to make 2 shells so everyone has a chance. Quit being so selfish or why dont you give up your spot.
If there is more people than there is space for it will happen no matter what anyway they are not going to leave people out.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:16pm by Nashred


We don't know yet if the shell will get full. Its too early to say. The game isn't released yet. Splitting the shell means that not everyone can get in, because of our locations. Its the exact opposite of inclusion, its exclusion. Splitting the shell will still leave people out. Yes, we could have both shells, but we still would have to unequp one to go to the other, and we would lose the continuity of conversation. Its not like having two websites, where you can have both windows open.



Then why even post a new thread on it ?


Grandmomma wrote:
FrozenSherbet wrote:
[quote=Grandmomma][quote=Teracide]Wait what's happening now? SE is splitting servers?



Nothing has been decided. This is just dialogue. Voting options would be nice. FC's require time and organization, as well as assigning people to be in control of distributions. It can be complicated. FC creation is a whole other thing.


Again Then why even post a new thread on it ?

Your making a big deal out of nothing.


Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:29pm by Nashred


Quoted from the ADMIN ThayosI am all for keeping the name. Who will start the east and west linkshells at early launch? I could start the west ls, if people can wait a few hours for me to get online... Think I work that day.


If you read some of the earlier posts on this thread, some members were making it a forgone conclusion that the ls was going to be split
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#27 Aug 19 2013 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
Just have ZAM make 4 LS's and have everybody pick which 2 they would like to be in. That way, most of what people are saying is going to viewed by a majority of the participants, and it creates some free space.

Exp.

we will use ten people for for this labeled A-J

LS1 = A C E G I

LS2 = B D F H J

LS3 = A D E H I

LS$ = B C F G J

I know some people are going to be left out of some conversation, but it frees up room, and gives healthy communication options to the majority of players.

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:51pm by supermegazeke
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#28 Aug 19 2013 at 3:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,825 posts
This is pretty easy, split the shells. The reason? Grand Companies will have multiple LS members anyway. You guys can still cross communicate via ZAM forums and if you're someone who's on at odd hours then just join both shells unless you hit the member limit.

Some of us on Zam are also on Ultros but in a different shell all together even with some of the admins on here. I see no reason that we won't be participating in events with those of you in the "official" Zam shell, and who knows we may all even end up in the same GC or multiple GC's.

In the end Zam is where we can coordinate, as time goes on people will spread out and leave the game or create their own LS and there's still no reason we can't all do events together.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#29 Aug 19 2013 at 3:20 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Ok, this is a bit much. We really didn't need a separate thread for this.

Just to clarify, I will not be doing anything rash like breaking the LS or anything of the sort. Grandmomma, while I see your point of view, please see it from others points of view. Once the shell reaches 128 (which it will, and rather quickly I'd imagine) anyone else will be SoL for joining the LS if we don't split. Hence why we would make a free company to accomodate everyone. Once everyone has been invited to the free company, THEN we would consider splitting the LS into east coast/west coast just for smaller chat purposes and for a place to hang out and talk if people are busy doing events in the free company.

To reiterate, I will not be breaking the shell, or kicking people, or anything else rash. We will wait and see how launch goes, and make an informed decision at that point. This thread was way too much of a knee jerk reaction...
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#30 Aug 19 2013 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,349 posts
I believe this situation can be resolved if we all pile into a dark room... with knives.

Seriously though, it seems a ZAM Free Company would be the optimal approach. People can make their own LS's and still be a part of the community. The more I think about it, actually, the more right it feels. Of course, it could be way different in practice. heh.
____________________________
(f;,,;)f (/o.o)/
#31 Aug 19 2013 at 3:36 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Also, to anyone who feels strongly about keeping it as a linkshell, make sure you go to the beta forums and like the post in feedback to increase the size. You can find it here.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#32 Aug 19 2013 at 3:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Since I wasn't even able to make a character on Ultros due to the world being full, I'll go ahead and say I really really want to be part of the ZAM shell and if that means making it a Free Company with umbrella linkshells in it, so be it.

We initially voted against separating the ZAM server into East Coast and West Coast because reasons (...) but I think this is an acceptable compromise.

And no one is FORCED to be in any one linkshell. We could actually have multiple specific purpose ones - East Coast chatter, West Coast chatter, Dungeon Chatter (for folks doing group content to not spam the individual shells with "crap get away from the fire"), etc.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#33 Aug 19 2013 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
I vote to keep us all combined. On weekends I play in the morning, afternoon, and night, and on weekdays I play in the afternoons. And what about the poor unfortunate souls stuck in Mountain or Central time? We can't choose a side Smiley: frown

Edit: Oh I saw Bartel's response. Ok, Free companies are unlimited? Linkshells go to 128?... I just hope that none of my friends in zam are east coast...

Edited, Aug 19th 2013 4:59pm by Valkayree
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#34 Aug 19 2013 at 4:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Relax, everyone!

Right now, we are just sharing ideas. Nothing has been decided! Also, me being an admin here has no bearing on my position in the ls or free company, so quoting me is kind of arbitrary.

I would just love to see everyone have a place in either the ls or a free company. If SE doesn't raise the linkshell membership limit, then we may need to figure out a way to get more people included... Or not. Nothing would be done without some kind of vote, I'm sure.

As I said in te other thread, a giant free company may be the answer. Or not! But now is definitely the time to start floating ideas for future plans.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#35 Aug 19 2013 at 4:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
254 posts
Thayos wrote:
Relax, everyone!

Right now, we are just sharing ideas. Nothing has been decided! Also, me being an admin here has no bearing on my position in the ls or free company, so quoting me is kind of arbitrary.

I would just love to see everyone have a place in either the ls or a free company. If SE doesn't raise the linkshell membership limit, then we may need to figure out a way to get more people included... Or not. Nothing would be done without some kind of vote, I'm sure.

As I said in te other thread, a giant free company may be the answer. Or not! But now is definitely the time to start floating ideas for future plans.

Yes, I believe this thread was an over-reaction, especially with the caps, someone needs to have their hand smacked.
____________________________
Skadi Scion / Ultros Server

formerly Skadisleeves of Lakshmi in FFXI
#36 Aug 19 2013 at 4:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Thayos wrote:
Relax, everyone!

Right now, we are just sharing ideas. Nothing has been decided! Also, me being an admin here has no bearing on my position in the ls or free company, so quoting me is kind of arbitrary.

I would just love to see everyone have a place in either the ls or a free company. If SE doesn't raise the linkshell membership limit, then we may need to figure out a way to get more people included... Or not. Nothing would be done without some kind of vote, I'm sure.

As I said in te other thread, a giant free company may be the answer. Or not! But now is definitely the time to start floating ideas for future plans.


Thayos I apologize for jumping to the conclusion after reading your post, that it was a done deal. I just read it again and it still seems like you were going to take care of making the wc shell. When I read that I posted a new thread because people who didn't come to the forum today may not have been aware.

Again, I only quoted you because there seemed to be some conclusion that posters were making about splitting the shell. I wanted to get as many members as possible involved in making the decision and creating a new post seemed at that moment to be the thing to do. Maybe in a few hours I'll have thought about a better way to respond to what you and others posted.

____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#37 Aug 19 2013 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
If we end up really having to split the LS, instead of doing EC/WC maybe we can do NA/EU if there are enough EU people here. I, for one, wouldn't mind being in the EU shell since I live in Asia.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#38 Aug 19 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
725 posts
Skaditoo wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Relax, everyone!

Right now, we are just sharing ideas. Nothing has been decided! Also, me being an admin here has no bearing on my position in the ls or free company, so quoting me is kind of arbitrary.

I would just love to see everyone have a place in either the ls or a free company. If SE doesn't raise the linkshell membership limit, then we may need to figure out a way to get more people included... Or not. Nothing would be done without some kind of vote, I'm sure.

As I said in te other thread, a giant free company may be the answer. Or not! But now is definitely the time to start floating ideas for future plans.

Yes, I believe this thread was an over-reaction, especially with the caps, someone needs to have their hand smacked.


Consider it slapped.
____________________________
http://www.zam.com/Im/Image/242033

Name: Ghost Orchid - LEVEL 50 Bard, BLM, WHM, SMN Craft Level 7 Lucis, 6 4-star crafts: CUL, MIN, Wvr, Bsm, Gsm, Arm, Lth, Crp (Fishing and Alc at level 50)
World: Ultros
#39 Aug 19 2013 at 4:49 PM Rating: Excellent
I did jump the gun a little bit... But I tend to do that sometimes. Just give me a good whap upside the head.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#40 Aug 19 2013 at 4:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
There's been discussion in another thread to go with a ZAM Free Company that has capacity for well over 500 members..

And we could have access to FC housing for ZAM and sharing of materials, etc. via the housing chests.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#41 Aug 19 2013 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,658 posts
I used to run a clan of around 150 people and we had several divisions, We had a EU division and a east and west coast division,,, At first we had one division and that did not work. I would run a match a 6:00 or 7:00 east and the west coast people would be mad because it was like 3:00 their time and they were still working, I am central so I could make most late and early matches,, If I ran a match at 10:00 east people were mad because they had to go to bed but it wade west coast people happy.. People will feel like they are left out if you don't have stuff planed for their time, Most of the time LS leaders don't want to do things twice a night, Having two LS or FC is a good idea.

We also went through this with one of my ls in ffxi.. We were always doing things from 10:00 pm to 1:00 am my time which was even later for east coast because the leaders were west coast. Half the LS was always ****** and felt left out because they had to go to bed for school or work and missed stuff.

We ended up having different divisions for the clan and it made it easier on the leaders to plan stuff and make everyone happy, This was on the xbox. We stilled played together when we didn't have matches and would let the other divisions in if they were around. We also had each other on our friends list and our clan forums to communicate,,, We had to have more leaders but in the end everyone was way more happy.



Edited, Aug 19th 2013 7:22pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#42 Aug 19 2013 at 5:48 PM Rating: Excellent
**
336 posts
Am I gonna have to dump my level 7 PUG and jump on Ultros :o
#43 Aug 19 2013 at 9:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
102 posts
why not just malke the Zam LS into a Zam free company

SE stated that linkshells are nothing more then provet chat channels in ffxiv, and that free companies will be what LS were in ffxi. Free companies are guilds. You set it up how u want, do you wanna be social? End game? or do everything (social endgame) Thays why SE put a player cap on LS's and free companies have a larger cap.

It you split the LS it may get confusing on networking people for help. Like i work at a corprate Mcdonalds. We are a 24 hour 365 day fast food joint. My sced can be in the morning or at night. so i would need to join both which would defeat the purpose of the spit.

With a free company we would be able to get our personal hang out location for meet and greets etc, or Event parties. (which would promote comradery)
#44 Aug 19 2013 at 9:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
132 posts
I don't think it has to be one or the other. I think Zam should make a FC no matter what we do with the LS. Kepp the ls for those that want to chat with Zam members, but are part of a different FC. I'm sure if it were done this way, many of the people currently in the ls would be satisfied with switching over to the FC for chat and making room for a single LS.
____________________________
Rayve Mendicant : Ultros
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#45 Aug 20 2013 at 12:25 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
iirc, one of my WoW guilds had over 400 people. Why is SE limiting the amount of players that can join a ls? That's silly.

Quote:
Am I gonna have to dump my level 7 PUG and jump on Ultros :o


I'm dumping my legacy character to play with Zam on Ultros, so yes, you must.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 2:27am by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#46 Aug 20 2013 at 5:01 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,622 posts
Since LS are meant for social interaction, I'd consider splitting by interest groups instead of time zones. For example:

• PvP
• Crafting
• Dungeon crawling
• Family (clean language LS for people with kids)
• Asylum
• Etc

Just brainstorming.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 7:55am by PhoenixOmbre
____________________________

Nuit Midril - White Mage/Scholar on Ultros
Nuit the Insane! - Retired Druid on Sentinels.
Ombre - Retired Dragoon/bard on Phoenix.
#47 Aug 20 2013 at 6:34 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Just to further elaborate on this, here is some more info on Free Companies that was posted in a thread on the general beta forums:
Quote:

Gotta agree with just using a company. You get a relatively flexible management interface and can set it up however you want. The default hierarchy is set up exactly like a linkshell, with a leader, "sackholders", and ordinary members. If you don't want a fancy/strict guild hierarchy, just don't add any ranks, and give all the permissions (such as inviting) to the lowest rank. And make the company chest/bank full access for all members. Back in Phase 3 we just used all the ranks to give people humorous titles for fun. They're honestly just like linkshells, but better.

The only "drawback" is that your members can only be in one free company. But it sounds like your group are possibly already a community from another game, and will want to stick together anyway.

The fee is only something like 15-25k, too, don't worry about the set up fee.


So we don't have to make it all structured and ordered, we can still keep it casual and keep everyone on the same footing. I think this is the ideal solution to our problems if SE doesn't raise the cap on linkshells, which I don't think they will by the time we are full.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#48 Aug 20 2013 at 6:45 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
311 posts
Is it bad that I'm looking more forward to the FC than the LS? In XI people used Linkshells due to a lack of any other form of a guild system. In XIV Linkshells seem like nothing more than a glorified chat channel. They also only have a limit of 128 people. Wouldn't it simply be more functional and sensical to create a Free Company to allow everyone the convenience of playing with the ZAM community?

With a cap of over 500, pretty much everyone interested (old and new) in playing with the ZAM-crew would have a spot. There's still a chat channel for Free Companies, so you're honestly not losing anything. I say we make a FC and just disband the LS.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:46am by Teracide
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#49 Aug 20 2013 at 6:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Teracide wrote:
Is it bad that I'm looking more forward to the FC than the LS? In XI people used Linkshells due to a lack of any other form of a guild system. In XIV Linkshells seem like nothing more than a glorified chat channel. They also only have a limit of 128 people. Wouldn't it simply be more functional and sensical to create a Free Company to allow everyone the convenience of playing with the ZAM community?

With a cap of over 500, pretty much everyone interested (old and new) in playing with the ZAM-crew would have a spot. There's still a chat channel for Free Companies, so you're honestly not losing anything. I say we make a FC and just disband the LS.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:46am by Teracide


Totally agree.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#50 Aug 20 2013 at 7:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Hairspray wrote:
There's been discussion in another thread to go with a ZAM Free Company that has capacity for well over 500 members..

And we could have access to FC housing for ZAM and sharing of materials, etc. via the housing chests.


And it would even be harder to get a free company to 500 because it is exclusive.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#51 Aug 20 2013 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
59 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Teracide wrote:
Is it bad that I'm looking more forward to the FC than the LS? In XI people used Linkshells due to a lack of any other form of a guild system. In XIV Linkshells seem like nothing more than a glorified chat channel. They also only have a limit of 128 people. Wouldn't it simply be more functional and sensical to create a Free Company to allow everyone the convenience of playing with the ZAM community?

With a cap of over 500, pretty much everyone interested (old and new) in playing with the ZAM-crew would have a spot. There's still a chat channel for Free Companies, so you're honestly not losing anything. I say we make a FC and just disband the LS.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:46am by Teracide


Totally agree.


Sounds good to me
____________________________
FFXIV
Zero Hellsing (PLD)

FC The Kraken Club

FFXI - BST75 DRK75 (retired)
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 76 All times are in CST
BrokenFox, Anonymous Guests (75)