I'd like to first state that I do love this game, it looks very promising and I'm definitely not being pessimistic about it at all with this post. I also realize that FFXI and FFXIV are two different games and that this is not FFXI version 2.0, although I think its fairly obvious that there are several glaring similarities between the two games, so some comparison is definitely warranted...
This is just a list of some of the features I really enjoyed from FFXI that I wish were included in this game, if you're one of those people that's sick of all of the FFXI nostalgia that's been going around then I encourage you to hit your back button right now and read no more before complaining about it in a response. Although I'd be interested in hearing what others think about this.
The following are in no particular order:
1. Difficulty/Sense of Danger- This doesnt mean I'm for keeping ALL of the areas of difficulty that FFXI had, such as the waiting in Jeuno in LFG for 4 hours just to get an exp party that falls apart before it ever really begins, or any of the other plethora of time sinks that FFXI was known for but I do kind of wish that leveling was at least a little more difficult and took more time. The world also felt a lot more dangerous (granted we haven't seen much yet) and I don't think anyone can forget the sense of danger they first felt while trying to find their camp spot in Valkrum Dunes, and tbh that sense of danger never really went away as you progressed through the game you were constantly in areas where you couldn't handle mobs solo. I fear this game might be too easy in trying to cater to all of the kids who's MMO experience is WoW and are coming over with a sense of entitlement expecting everything to be fed to them on a silver spoon, though I cant blame SE for making smart business decisions if that's where the market has gone.
2.Sneak/Invis/Aggro- Certain mobs could aggro either based upon sight, sound, the use of magic, or other things, so you constantly had to be aware of what type of mobs you were running by and what made them aggro. I really miss not having sneak and invis in this game... it was fun and also intense trying to get by mobs before it wore off or getting to a safe spot to re-cast on yourself before continuing on.
3. Number of abilities- It's about the same right now for melee classes, except maybe melee have even more in this game than FFXI but the list of spells for other classes has shrunk immensely. Many classes such as RDM had a plethora of spells, some were really useful and some were flavor/quality of life spells such as the aforementioned sneak/invis. Also, I miss the incentive to use all of those spells while out of combat just to get skill ups which we can't get anymore. I realize spell/ability list will grow with expansions and such but I hope they add core and flavor abilities. As a level 20 guardian I only need about 3 abilities and that's it.
4. Airship/Ferry Mechanics- I really miss how in FFXI you could wait for the ferry or airship with a group of people and not be the only one taking it in an instanced custscene. It added a realness to the world and a greater sense of immersion. Having to wait for the airship and then spend the time traveling on it rather than just having all the lands connected via a custscene in which you're the only one who is a part of it was much better in my opinion. I will greatly miss the ferry, it was a blast fishing on it and then having the random sea horror or pirate attacks that could wipe everyone if they didnt huddle down below the deck. I also miss the size of the airship/ferry, because they seem so much smaller in this game.
5. The Way Jobs Worked- I miss being able to be a DRG or a RDM or w/e who fishes instead of having to completely change to be a fisherman. It was great going to dangerous areas and fishing, then when you got attacked you could kill it as the job that you are, or aid parties who are leveling near you and who are a lower level and in need of help. I want to be able to be a DRG while fishing. I also just flat out miss the job/subjob system. I feel like right now since every class can use abilities from every other class that everything is just too homogonized, and the way leveling is nobody is going to have a real identity since alot of people will have pretty much every class/job to 50. Its kind of odd being a marauder who can cure. And the difference between a LNC and DRG for example is what... 5 abilities?
6. Crafting Synthesis Wobble lol- Definitely miss the crafting animations when you were synthing something and it started wobbling back and forth and you had a million gil hanging in the balance after taking into account the direction you were facing, the time of day, the phase of the moon, and everything else and not knowing what was going to happen next. Besides, FF crafting is synthesizing with crystals, I didnt expect "real" crafting animations like bringing out a sewing table and what-not.
7.Fishing- I just miss the involvement of fishing, i felt it added to the immersion more-so than now where you just hit a button once something bites the hook. I realize there are those of you who would prefer XIV's style of fishing in regards to this and thats ok, this is just my opinion. And as I touched on in #5 it was sweet going somewhere on your powerful job to fish rather than being a fisherman who cant really fight but has to stealth around.
8. NOTORIOUS MONSTERS- Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn I can't believe they took this out. This was one of the coolest things in that game... being able to hunt named monsters that only spawned every now and then in certain areas and dropped rare items that you could either use or sell for a ton on the AH. Camping them was pretty cool... and competing with other players to tag them... I absolutely loved that because when you finally saw the thing spawn it was such an exhilarating rush. How do we have a hunting log in this game with no NMs to hunt. One of the biggest buzzkills for me right now! I hope they add them in the future somehow... I have dreams of killing Leaping Lizzy outside of Bastok to this day!
9.Caves- Cant forget this... many zones had cave areas that added to the whole sense of danger thing because they were either difficult to navigate or contained mobs that you generally wanted to avoid. It was also easy to get lost in some zones such as that one jungle place where we all killed mandragoras... the place below the area where you go to fight Ifrit (cant remember the name).
10. Community- This isn't something that can be changed, just something that will be missed.... FFXI had a great community.
11. Skillchains/Magic Bursts- Thought it was pretty cool having to know what kinds of mobs you're fighting, what they're weak to, and then seeing what class combos you got so that you could find a skillchain you were capable of doing and then executing them.
Again, dont flame me too hard! I know these arent the same games, this is just a list of things I loved about that game that I wish were included in this one but I will still be playing this one and I do have high hopes for it. Definitely giving it the chance to become my MMO for the next few years at least, we'll see what happens! If anyone has any other things they miss please post them because I probably forgot a lot about that game it's been so long.
Edit: added caves
Edited, Aug 19th 2013 5:50pm by Phoenix904
Edited, Aug 19th 2013 5:51pm by Phoenix904
Edited, Aug 19th 2013 6:09pm by Phoenix904
Edited, Aug 19th 2013 7:00pm by Phoenix904