Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Just saw ARR commercial on SyFy's "Heroes of Cosplay"Follow

#1 Aug 20 2013 at 8:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
We were flipping channels and just saw this commercial... how awesome!

LINK
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#2 Aug 20 2013 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
LOL.
#3 Aug 20 2013 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
**
438 posts
As if the people playing the game will all be svelte, **** teenagers. That should have ended with what's his name telling us to drink Coors.
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#4 Aug 20 2013 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
That was a terrible commercial.
____________________________
#5 Aug 20 2013 at 8:48 PM Rating: Decent
**
487 posts
Is there a link to this comercial thaty isnt taken from a smartphone?
____________________________
BANNED
#6 Aug 20 2013 at 8:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
28 posts
I'm not usually a fan of live-action transposing into virtual reality unless it is very well done.

I can't speak for the masses but I feel like a shortened crystal's call trailer would have resonated better with their target audience. An epic orchestral soundtrack with some actual gameplay, clips of the meteor ultimate, primal fights, and Baelsar's evil voice oozing ideology in the background would have been much more appealing.
#7 Aug 20 2013 at 8:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Doesn't anyone think it's awesome that they are running TV commercials on a major North American cable network in prime time?
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#8 Aug 20 2013 at 8:55 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Doesn't anyone think it's awesome that they are running TV commercials on a major North American cable network in prime time?

Too bad it is a network I never watch lol
____________________________
BANNED
#9 Aug 20 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
972 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Doesn't anyone think it's awesome that they are running TV commercials on a major North American cable network in prime time?


Not really because it's incredibly tacky, but at least it was "so bad it's good"... I laughed.

I think Square should probably have done a CGI+gameplay trailer with some drama. This is so cheesy lol.
#10 Aug 20 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
311 posts
Haha that was pretty bad.

I'm usually positive about things but that was a pretty ridiculous commercial.
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#11 Aug 20 2013 at 8:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Well anyways I thought it was cool hey are spending money to advertise the game in the U.S. '

Good night all.
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#12 Aug 20 2013 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
So when they had the big shakeup at SE a few months ago because they were doing so ******, half the NA marketing team was fired.

The other half realized they were on notice.

The result is an actual advertising campaign here in the US, which has been amazing. Good job SE.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#13 Aug 20 2013 at 8:59 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
352 posts
I thought it was good!
____________________________
Goblin: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2192910/
Beastmaster ~<3 Cant wait.
Gold smithing till the day i die!
#14 Aug 20 2013 at 9:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
96 posts
Xul13 wrote:
I'm not usually a fan of live-action transposing into virtual reality unless it is very well done.

I can't speak for the masses but I feel like a shortened crystal's call trailer would have resonated better with their target audience. An epic orchestral soundtrack with some actual gameplay, clips of the meteor ultimate, primal fights, and Baelsar's evil voice oozing ideology in the background would have been much more appealing.


This. That commercial definitely doesn't do it for me.

Having said that, I can think of the demographic that commercial was meant to grab. Twilight & Harry Potter tweens. This is not intended as an insult. My idea of "fantasy" completely differs from theirs. I'm 34. Tolkien, Guinn, Piers Anthony, Dragonlance. Thats my idea of fantasy. Not all this shapeshifting werebears, (where? bears?) and the like. To each his own I guess.
____________________________
Rhuarc--Gilgamesh - Server Merger: Forced name change to Mazrim Carbuncle Server
Buncha Jobs - Maat's Cap 3/1/08
Peace
Retired
#15 Aug 20 2013 at 9:05 PM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
dafaq
#16 Aug 20 2013 at 9:06 PM Rating: Excellent
The funny thing is, a good number of the people playing the game are probably those teens' parents.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:06pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#17 Aug 20 2013 at 9:07 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Thayos wrote:
The funny thing is, a good number of the people playing the game are probably those teens' parents.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:06pm by Thayos


Thayos wrote:
The funny thing is, a good number of the people playing the game are probably those teens' parents.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 8:06pm by Thayos

Likely, I played the original final fantasy on nintendo when I was 13 or 14 so long ago I dont remember my age then
____________________________
BANNED
#18 Aug 20 2013 at 9:14 PM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
Wendy's pretzel burger is actually pretty good.
#19 Aug 20 2013 at 9:17 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
972 posts
They just played it on Cartoon Network a few seconds ago.

I don't know why I'm watching some old Family Guy rerun anyway but yeah.

I guess it is a good thing that it's getting publicity on major networks.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 11:17pm by Killua125
#20 Aug 20 2013 at 9:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
Killua125 wrote:
They just played it on Cartoon Network a few seconds ago.

I don't know why I'm watching some old Family Guy rerun anyway but yeah.

I guess it is a good thing that it's getting publicity on major networks.

Edited, Aug 20th 2013 11:17pm by Killua125


Agreed, While I think the commercial is terrible, someone thought it was cool, and if the commericals get people to try the game out it can't be a bad thing.
____________________________
#21 Aug 20 2013 at 9:53 PM Rating: Excellent
I said it before, it reminds me of the old Playonline videos they had promos for. It's just bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42la3foiCc
____________________________

#22 Aug 20 2013 at 10:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
311 posts
Montsegurnephcreep wrote:
I said it before, it reminds me of the old Playonline videos they had promos for. It's just bad http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42la3foiCc


LMAO! I never saw that. It's almost like they were trying to advertise the internet.

As silly as the commercial is, I still think it's friggin' great that they're advertising in the U.S.
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#23 Aug 20 2013 at 10:58 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
818 posts
FFXI used to have a disclaimer that said something along the lines of "we don't want to see your work, friends, or life suffer. Play responsibly." I like how the new 2.0 is "Escape reality, live the fantasy....



.....awesome
____________________________
The entire Universe to the furthest Galaxy, we are told, is no more than a closed electron existing as part of a much bigger Universe we can never see. And that Universe is only an elementary particle in a still grander Universe. An infinite regression, up and down. - Carl Sagan

Check out my Gamer Blog at http://www.baffledgamer.com/
#24 Aug 20 2013 at 11:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
FFXI used to have a disclaimer that said something along the lines of "we don't want to see your work, friends, or life suffer. Play responsibly." I like how the new 2.0 is "Escape reality, live the fantasy....


It's actually kind of a cliche slogan, imo.

However, they are marketing the game as if it were entirely new... they're not referencing the old version of the game at all. That's pretty smart.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#25 Aug 20 2013 at 11:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
Haha, not bad not great. Turn around on that was most likely super-quick (I produce this kinda stuff). All things considered, not terrible. V.O. and writing was meh, BUT, the concept of turning real ppl into the characters was kinda cool. All-in-all...

6.5/7 out of 10.... Thats just my opinion tho :)

And ya its dope that we are seeing this stuff in NA. I recall seeing old XI billboards on my way to work in Vancouver back in the day.
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
#26 Aug 21 2013 at 12:05 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
As if the people playing the game will all be svelte, **** teenagers. That should have ended with what's his name telling us to drink Coors.

I am!
...
Really!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urNyg1ftMIU
#27 Aug 21 2013 at 12:10 AM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
Wendy's should be the food of choice for all denizens of Eorzea! Wendy's FFXIV action figures! I can see it now, let the petitioning begin!
#28 Aug 21 2013 at 12:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
102 posts
Mcdondals had preztal bread burgers befire wendys.....

well in germany
#29 Aug 21 2013 at 6:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
Well like the commercial or not, I think we can all agree that this means they are investing in growing the player base this time, a very positive thing for the longevity of the game! Smiley: grin
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#30 Aug 21 2013 at 6:28 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
310 posts
that was so terrible i found it funny, maybe that was their aim, making people interested because they found it funny XD
#31 Aug 21 2013 at 6:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Not one fat kid, not one person with thick glasses, and not one person who came in cos-play. That doesn't represent our demographic at all.
#32 Aug 21 2013 at 6:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,163 posts
Darkfae77 wrote:
Mcdondals had preztal bread burgers befire wendys.....

well in germany


McDonalds also had Pizza and Honey for their nuggets but no one seems to remember that either /cry. I want my honey back!
#33 Aug 21 2013 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
424 posts
I liked the commercial! It was reminiscent of the 90's video game commercials, which were just completely bonkers for the most part. Even the guys voice sounded 90's. I love it. Smiley: lol
____________________________
MJK wrote:
Is this a test?
It has to be. Otherwise I can't go on.
Draining patience. drain vitality.
this paranoid, paralyzed vampire act's a little old.

[Charlie Towser-The Kraken Club-Ultros[NA]-WAR]
#34 Aug 21 2013 at 1:19 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
LOL!

I'm just imagining Don Draper pitch this.
#35 Aug 21 2013 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
**
336 posts
It's time to slay the dragon!
#36 Aug 21 2013 at 1:27 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
The premise of the commercial was awesome. The complete lack of gameplay footage and the very small demographic they targeted, not so much. The whole transformation thing was actually kinda cool, but I was really hoping the whole thing would be more "epic". With all the crazy-awesome videos they've released in the past year, they could have made something much more attention grabbing.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#37 Aug 21 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
310 posts
BartelX wrote:
The premise of the commercial was awesome. The complete lack of gameplay footage and the very small demographic they targeted, not so much. The whole transformation thing was actually kinda cool, but I was really hoping the whole thing would be more "epic". With all the crazy-awesome videos they've released in the past year, they could have made something much more attention grabbing.


they should have made one of the guys transform into a female Miqo`te, would be far more accurate

Edited, Aug 21st 2013 3:31pm by MitArgento
#38 Aug 21 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
electromagnet83 wrote:
FFXI used to have a disclaimer that said something along the lines of "we don't want to see your work, friends, or life suffer. Play responsibly." I like how the new 2.0 is "Escape reality, live the fantasy....



.....awesome


I remember that disclaimer, used to laugh every time it came up.

WFOAssassin wrote:
Not one fat kid, not one person with thick glasses, and not one person who came in cos-play. That doesn't represent our demographic at all.


Also no one over 30, no one so pale they look like the undead and no nerds getting into a slap fight over who's more dreamy; Cloud or Squall.
#39 Aug 21 2013 at 1:47 PM Rating: Decent
**
487 posts
SkinwalkerAsura wrote:
electromagnet83 wrote:
FFXI used to have a disclaimer that said something along the lines of "we don't want to see your work, friends, or life suffer. Play responsibly." I like how the new 2.0 is "Escape reality, live the fantasy....



.....awesome


I remember that disclaimer, used to laugh every time it came up.

WFOAssassin wrote:
Not one fat kid, not one person with thick glasses, and not one person who came in cos-play. That doesn't represent our demographic at all.


Also no one over 30, no one so pale they look like the undead and no nerds getting into a slap fight over who's more dreamy; Cloud or Squall.

Dont forget neckbeards
____________________________
BANNED
#40 Aug 21 2013 at 2:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
743 posts
#41 Aug 21 2013 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts


Oh cool! I don't know how I missed this, considering I'm on here all day every day at work... sorry, I didn't see anything on page 1 so I got excited and thought nobody knew about this. Smiley: grin
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#42 Aug 21 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
743 posts
No problem, you reminded me I missed last nights episode. :)
____________________________
I think you've been smoking the Moko...
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/350413/
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1628942/
http://www.nerdist.com/
Angus of Cerberus (retired)
#43 Aug 21 2013 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,208 posts
AngusX wrote:
No problem, you reminded me I missed last nights episode. :)


I had never seen it before last night!

I'm an old geezer by video game standards anyways, I feel like a 20 year old but I'm not lol... so I had never even seen Cosplay before... I couldn't stop watching!

I thought it was so funny I named my Fantasy Football team "Emerald City Cosplayers".... Smiley: grin
____________________________
The Kraken Club - (Ultros FC)
Character Name: Meat Mithkabob
#44 Aug 21 2013 at 2:44 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Hairspray wrote:
AngusX wrote:
No problem, you reminded me I missed last nights episode. :)


I had never seen it before last night!

I'm an old geezer by video game standards anyways, I feel like a 20 year old but I'm not lol... so I had never even seen Cosplay before... I couldn't stop watching!

I thought it was so funny I named my Fantasy Football team "Emerald City Cosplayers".... Smiley: grin

The seachickens are watching the niners play in the superbowl again this year. My team is on yahoo fantasy, Kaepernicking over your mom

Edited, Aug 21st 2013 6:24pm by Ehllfire
____________________________
BANNED
#45 Aug 21 2013 at 2:45 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
Some reason it double posted

Edited, Aug 21st 2013 6:25pm by Ehllfire
____________________________
BANNED
#46 Aug 21 2013 at 3:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
Hairspray wrote:
Doesn't anyone think it's awesome that they are running TV commercials on a major North American cable network in prime time?


I do. Hey at least there is U.S. marketing. That is better than can be said for Sega, who long ago just forgot that North America exists. But that live action theme has been done, at least in the Wizards 101 commerical I have been seeing over and over and over on my kid's cartoon channels.

And really, they couldn't be realistic with the commercial. It would have totally distracted from the intent of the advertising to have 40 year old men transform into cat women and big 400 pound folks morph into lalafells. Smiley: schooled
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#47 Aug 21 2013 at 4:46 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
PyrielDD wrote:
That was a terrible commercial.


It was worse than terrible.. Why didn't they use the japanese commercial? Why do they think us westerners would be in to something like that ? Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 57 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (57)