Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

GW2 free trial weekend this weekend...seems pretty desperateFollow

#1 Aug 21 2013 at 3:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
I mean, I'm not mad at it...totally different business models, but it's just funny how companies play these games. I bought GW2 on release and just like the original, couldn't get into it...I just don't care for the world like I do for Final Fantasy. The lore isn't as engaging. Anyone who isn't in EA going to play it this weekend to kill time?
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#2 Aug 21 2013 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
jaggars wrote:
I mean, I'm not mad at it...totally different business models, but it's just funny how companies play these games. I bought GW2 on release and just like the original, couldn't get into it...I just don't care for the world like I do for Final Fantasy. The lore isn't as engaging. Anyone who isn't in EA going to play it this weekend to kill time?


It's actually good business. Like how premium cable channels give you a week/month of service for free every year. Or that old crack dealer cliche', "First taste is free". Even if only 15% of these new players sign up and purchase after the trial, it's profit.

That said, not my cup of tea either. I'll be busy wearing my moogle cap along with half my server.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#3 Aug 21 2013 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
412 posts
Yea, I stopped playing guild wars around level 70. I believe it had my attention for two weeks? It's not even installed anymore :)
#4 Aug 21 2013 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
jaggars wrote:
I mean, I'm not mad at it...totally different business models, but it's just funny how companies play these games. I bought GW2 on release and just like the original, couldn't get into it...I just don't care for the world like I do for Final Fantasy. The lore isn't as engaging. Anyone who isn't in EA going to play it this weekend to kill time?


It's actually good business. Like how premium cable channels give you a week/month of service for free every year. Or that old crack dealer cliche', "First taste is free". Even if only 15% of these new players sign up and purchase after the trial, it's profit.

That said, not my cup of tea either. I'll be busy wearing my moogle cap along with half my server.


I wasn't suggesting have a free trial was desperate...I was just saying that doing it this particular reason seems like a desperate attempt to keep people from FFXIV. Free trials cost the company nothing...and anything they collect dollars wise is pure profit.
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#5 Aug 21 2013 at 3:25 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
972 posts
Yeah, free trials are so desperate. What a joke.
#6 Aug 21 2013 at 3:26 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
jaggars wrote:
I mean, I'm not mad at it...totally different business models, but it's just funny how companies play these games. I bought GW2 on release and just like the original, couldn't get into it...I just don't care for the world like I do for Final Fantasy. The lore isn't as engaging. Anyone who isn't in EA going to play it this weekend to kill time?


Why? Smiley: dubious There is no reason. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#7 Aug 21 2013 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
237 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Yeah, free trials are so desperate. What a joke.


Again, wasn't suggesting the trial itself was desperate, just the timing of it...
____________________________
FFXIV - Ultros Server - Jaggars Oliana
FC: The Kraken Club <ZAM>
#8 Aug 21 2013 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
I played Guild Wars 2 for a few months. It was ok but got boring pretty quickly. I think the problem was that you could gain every ability for every weapon you could equip by the first 5 levels. Because nothing new gets added into the mix as you level combat gets repetitous. You'll be using the same moves and rotation for the rest of the game. The only carrot on the stick at that point is better gear and maybe access to the raids. Also the classes are homogenized as ****. I hear PvP is lopsided though to be honest I never got into it.

I think FFXIV addresses those concerns by having classes and jobs with a specific identities and adequate rewards for level progression, not only abilities but gameplay elements and content unlock as an incentive to grow your character. Gear is a part of progression, not the only reason to level. The Armory system gives players many options to customize their character. Story is told by more than just two people facing each other on a flat background. Lots of things about FFXIV that really draw me into the game compared to Guild Wars 2.
____________________________


#9 Aug 21 2013 at 4:45 PM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
I'm gonna enjoy my last free weekend before I get enslaved by my primal overlords
#10 Aug 21 2013 at 4:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
311 posts
Killua125 wrote:
Yeah, free trials are so desperate. What a joke.


You really aren't a very pleasant person, are you?
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#11Ehllfire, Posted: Aug 21 2013 at 4:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) they will likely not have 3102 or 90000 in their free trial
#12 Aug 21 2013 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
39 posts
reptiletim wrote:
I played Guild Wars 2 for a few months. It was ok but got boring pretty quickly. I think the problem was that you could gain every ability for every weapon you could equip by the first 5 levels. Because nothing new gets added into the mix as you level combat gets repetitous. You'll be using the same moves and rotation for the rest of the game. The only carrot on the stick at that point is better gear and maybe access to the raids. Also the classes are homogenized as ****. I hear PvP is lopsided though to be honest I never got into it.

I think FFXIV addresses those concerns by having classes and jobs with a specific identities and adequate rewards for level progression, not only abilities but gameplay elements and content unlock as an incentive to grow your character. Gear is a part of progression, not the only reason to level. The Armory system gives players many options to customize their character. Story is told by more than just two people facing each other on a flat background. Lots of things about FFXIV that really draw me into the game compared to Guild Wars 2.

You made a very excellent point and I never realized it until you said it. I was getting bored with GW2 and I didn't even know why.
#13 Aug 21 2013 at 5:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Just uninstalled GW2 right before the P4 beta. I hadn't played in months. It was a fun game to log into and dink around with, but the storyline was awful, the characters were forgettable and there seemed to be no sense of progression. I didn't care at all about my character, and I never had a reason to communicate with anyone else.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#14 Aug 21 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Why hasn't anyone who bought GW2 complain that suddenly other people who didn't buy now get to play for free for the weekends? Why aren't they complaining they are being punished for buying the game 1 year ago? Come on, where are the dramas? Boring.
____________________________




#15 Aug 21 2013 at 5:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
310 posts
Khornette wrote:
Why hasn't anyone who bought GW2 complain that suddenly other people who didn't buy now get to play for free for the weekends? Why aren't they complaining they are being punished for buying the game 1 year ago? Come on, where are the dramas? Boring.


GW2 is not worth the drama ;D
#16 Aug 21 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
39 posts
Thayos wrote:
Just uninstalled GW2 right before the P4 beta. I hadn't played in months. It was a fun game to log into and dink around with, but the storyline was awful, the characters were forgettable and there seemed to be no sense of progression. I didn't care at all about my character, and I never had a reason to communicate with anyone else.

One of things that annoyed me is it went from being YOUR story to all about Trahearne and you were his errand boy by that point. It blew.
#17 Aug 21 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
448 posts
GW2 takes the edge off waiting for other games to pop. Box cost and no sub along with fairly regular updates means it'll stay on my computer. It is rather lifeless but as a single player RPG with other player running around the same areas, it was worth the cost and HDD space.
____________________________
"We're getting close, real close. And now for some more bad news... Ready?"
-- Egg Shen
#18 Aug 21 2013 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
175 posts
Not desperate at all... lol It's a buy once play forever model. It's not really even in the same league. GW2 has had free days a couple times now. It didn't quite life up to the hype it promised but for what it is and no sub fee it's been worth the price of admission. =)
____________________________
Gothos 75 SMN 75 WHM 68 COR 65SAM ~FFXI (Valefor)
80 Warlock - 80 Priest - 80 Shaman WoW (Moon Guard)
#19 Aug 21 2013 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
218 posts
jaggars wrote:
Again, wasn't suggesting the trial itself was desperate, just the timing of it...

Yeah the sneaky bastards planned it a year in advance.
____________________________
#20 Aug 21 2013 at 7:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
jaggars wrote:
I mean, I'm not mad at it...totally different business models, but it's just funny how companies play these games. I bought GW2 on release and just like the original, couldn't get into it...I just don't care for the world like I do for Final Fantasy. The lore isn't as engaging. Anyone who isn't in EA going to play it this weekend to kill time?


It's the one year anniversary of GW2's launch, and it's not a subscription game.

It's amazing the non existent patterns that people find in the world.
#21 Aug 21 2013 at 7:32 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
728 posts
I played GW2 for 2-3 weeks before losing interest as well. I also uninstalled it right before P4 to free up SSD space.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#22 Aug 21 2013 at 7:36 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
DamienSScott wrote:
I played GW2 for 2-3 weeks before losing interest as well. I also uninstalled it right before P4 to free up SSD space.


I got about 3 months out of it but when they decided that the solution to their low player retention numbers was to introduce ascended gear for (eventually) every slot, I bailed. The game isn't deep enough to justify grinding. Very good PvP, IMO, but I wasn't really looking for a PvP game and they killed the casual friendly nature without making the game deep enough to justify being hardcore about it.


Edited, Aug 21st 2013 9:37pm by KarlHungis
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 75 All times are in CDT
Hyrist, Anonymous Guests (74)