Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Training DummiesFollow

#27 Aug 21 2013 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,899 posts
ragamuffin the Fussy wrote:
This is exactly what puts me off about playing, I don't really want another job, I have one and a very stressful one too. The last thing I want to do is to come home to relax and play the game only to find my **** is pinned to the wall for not quite pulling my weight. I envisioned more of a casual and fun gaming experience, thank goodness there is room for non-hardcore players in the ls/fc because that's the level I am comfortable playing with.

However, if that's what floats your boat, then more power to you.


If I have any say in it, the LS will never require parsing for it's members. As I said, parsing should be almost exclusively a self-evaluation tool. If you want to use it for personal gain, go for it. If everyone in a group wants to use it, cool. The only time I could ever see requiring a parse is if we just repeatedly keep failing the same content for an extended period, and the only thing that could be causing it would be a lack of DPS, and in that case it would be used as a means of finding out who could use some help in improving their rotation or else possibly swapping roles with others to accomodate the group and advance. I will never be a part of a group that excludes players because they "aren't good enough". I'm honestly past that phase in my life and just looking to have fun in games with a group of like-minded people.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#28 Aug 21 2013 at 9:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
ragamuffin the Fussy wrote:
This is exactly what puts me off about playing, I don't really want another job, I have one and a very stressful one too. The last thing I want to do is to come home to relax and play the game only to find my **** is pinned to the wall for not quite pulling my weight. I envisioned more of a casual and fun gaming experience, thank goodness there is room for non-hardcore players in the ls/fc because that's the level I am comfortable playing with.

However, if that's what floats your boat, then more power to you.

Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your DPS reports. Yeah. Did you get that memo? It's just we're going with this new suggested rotation for maximum DPS now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!
#29 Aug 21 2013 at 9:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
123 posts
Wouldn't parsers in FFXIV really only be useful to monks/dragoons due to combos? I see arcanist/summoner throw dots up and use other attack skills on CD and thm/blm doing fire/ice rotation with thunder(refresh). Mind you it's just a guess as I haven't played thm/blm or arc/brd.
____________________________
Final Fantasy Radio
http://finalfantasyradio.co/
Amestra Blackoak Ultros Server
The Kraken Club

#30 Aug 21 2013 at 9:31 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,232 posts
Played a warrior in Rift and never used a parser. I got into a dungeon group with a guy who had one and come to find out I had been whooping *** without it all that time. It was nice to know I was doing well but I certainly didn't need it.

Not to mention a large amount of the player base, including myself, will be playing on PS3 without any access to those kinds of programs.

Edited, Aug 21st 2013 8:31pm by LebargeX
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#31 Aug 21 2013 at 9:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
ragamuffin the Fussy wrote:
This is exactly what puts me off about playing, I don't really want another job, I have one and a very stressful one too. The last thing I want to do is to come home to relax and play the game only to find my **** is pinned to the wall for not quite pulling my weight. I envisioned more of a casual and fun gaming experience, thank goodness there is room for non-hardcore players in the ls/fc because that's the level I am comfortable playing with.

However, if that's what floats your boat, then more power to you.

Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your DPS reports. Yeah. Did you get that memo? It's just we're going with this new suggested rotation for maximum DPS now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Oh, and one more thing. We're going to need you to go ahead and raid with the Sunday group as well, mkay? Great.
#32 Aug 21 2013 at 9:39 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,719 posts
SuikodenXXX wrote:
Wouldn't parsers in FFXIV really only be useful to monks/dragoons due to combos? I see arcanist/summoner throw dots up and use other attack skills on CD and thm/blm doing fire/ice rotation with thunder(refresh). Mind you it's just a guess as I haven't played thm/blm or arc/brd.


Not at all. Parsing is useful for all sorts of things.

Primarily of course, it's used to measure damage per second. But when you dig a little further down, you can also get all sorts of data about how your abilities work.

For instance: How much DID my aoe heal do? On three targets? On five? Healing per cast time is a useful stat for a healer to know. How much uptime did I have on Greased Lightning? How efficiently did I use my cooldowns? And anyone who thinks tank dps doesn't matter is nuts.

When you're trying to make raid bosses fall down, all that crap's important.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#33 Aug 21 2013 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
***
1,218 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Ehllfire wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Awesome! Now all we need is a dps parser like recount or skada and we can perfect our rotations and conquer The Crystal Tower! Very cool addition, I was really hoping for this.

*cough* parsers are for weenies *cough*


Parsers are necessary for maximizing your dps. If you don't have numbers to prove your rotations, then you're just guessing. In raids you need it to show who isn't pulling their weight and dragging the group down, causing wipes. That weenie won't have a raid group anymore :(

Only bads need parsers, the good players learn there rotations without crutches.


In my experience, the people who just "know" that they're doing it right without empirical proof are usually the ones who are doing it the very worst.

I don't know what the level of parsing eventually became in FF11, but in WoW, Swtor, etc, the people doing the most dps in raids and dungeons were those who used parse analysis to make reality based improvements to their gameplay.

Maybe you're a special snowflake who plays like boss instinctively, but "only bads use parsing" isn't even an arguable point of view. It's just categorically wrong.
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#34 Aug 21 2013 at 9:59 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
SuikodenXXX wrote:
Wouldn't parsers in FFXIV really only be useful to monks/dragoons due to combos? I see arcanist/summoner throw dots up and use other attack skills on CD and thm/blm doing fire/ice rotation with thunder(refresh). Mind you it's just a guess as I haven't played thm/blm or arc/brd.


Not at all. Parsing is useful for all sorts of things.

Primarily of course, it's used to measure damage per second. But when you dig a little further down, you can also get all sorts of data about how your abilities work.

For instance: How much DID my aoe heal do? On three targets? On five? Healing per cast time is a useful stat for a healer to know. How much uptime did I have on Greased Lightning? How efficiently did I use my cooldowns? And anyone who thinks tank dps doesn't matter is nuts.

When you're trying to make raid bosses fall down, all that crap's important.


One example I've already seen which is incredibly useful is a level 50 warrior who spent p4 parsing a full strength vs full vitality gear setup. Using a tanking rotation, the full strength setup yielded about 1% more average damage and less than that in damage prevented.

Given how many HP such a setup sacrifices, that puts a nail in the coffin of any argument about which stat 8s most important for warrior, a discussion which otherwise came down to a lot of people offering feeling and opinions that "either one is good."
____________________________
"I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Gen. Jack D. Ripper, General, USAF
#35 Aug 21 2013 at 10:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
487 posts
So basically people who use parsers are out to make everyone play how they do, to drive them around like bosses at a job. Gotcha I and many others are correct in calling you elitists. I dont need a parser to tell me how to play, Im an intelligent grown man, who can actually read what a tool tip is tyvm. I will let you parser crutch folks in on a secret, people were raiding without them before quite successfully. Yes I know a shock to you.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 12:22am by Ehllfire
____________________________
BANNED
#36 Aug 21 2013 at 10:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
53 posts
Why so much hate? Peace, love and understanding folks, seriously. If you don't like parsers, don't use them. Simple as that. No need to judge others on something that you don't agree with. Your opinion is your own, but please respect others. I personally love parsers, because while I do not need it to play well, I do like to see how I am performing mathematically with a parser that can do calculations that I simply cannot, nor do I care to.

Peace.
____________________________
Nyne Breaker - Ultros
#37 Aug 21 2013 at 10:37 PM Rating: Good
***
3,719 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
So basically people who use parsers are out to make everyone play how they do, to drive them around like bosses at a job. Gotcha I and many others are correct in calling you elitists. I dont need a parser to tell me how to play, Im an intelligent grown man, who can actually read what a tool tip is tyvm. I will let you parser crutch folks in on a secret, people were raiding without them before quite successfully. Yes I know a shock to you.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 12:22am by Ehllfire


Smiley: cookie
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#38 Aug 21 2013 at 11:21 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
It's true that the use of parsers can sometimes descend into e-peen flaming (well, wriggling - if you need to flash your e-peen, chances are it's wriggling like a tadpole, rather than swinging like a windmill Smiley: sly), but as others have said the individual use for individual improvement is great.

If I'm playing a character to 90% of it's potential, my interest is immediately in "where is that other 10% going?" "How can I find it?" "What is realistic, given server lag, human reactions etc?" Even if I only find 5%/6%/7% of this missing amount, that could mean the difference between victory & wiping.

I was in a small guild in TOR, that ran a single raid group. I was considered the go-to guy for rotations/priorities etc. for most specs (DPS-wise). Without parsing, all I could do to help others was "so, how often are you doing this/this/that?" Eyeballing is inherently flawed as a statistical method. For example, I was one of 2 Commando DPS in the team. They have 1 ability (Hammer Shot) that is a resource-free attack, for minimal damage - every other attack uses resources. The key to the class is balancing resource management (and regeneration) with maximal DPS. With this in mind, and the fact that a proc effect was key to both aspects, there was a theorycrafted number for how many times/minute one should be using Hammer Shot. Without a parser, I wouldn't have been able to tell this number at all (for either of us). With it, it became clear that we were both well over this number, leading us to search for where we were pushing too hard on resources, and where we could balance this out. Consequently, we both improved DPS output clearly, leading to more success for the group.

I'm not against parsing for LS, as long as it is done for the right reasons (like most things within a LS, really). Sure, there's room for a bit of friendly baiting about topping charts, but it is a help tool first & foremost. If a person isn't consistently looking to improve their performance, then tbh I won't spend much time with them. I'd much rather a new player that is clearly keen to learn, than a vet who is (in their minds) God's gift to virtual slaughter.
#39 Aug 22 2013 at 4:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
71 posts
carmelita wrote:
If I'm playing a character to 90% of it's potential, my interest is immediately in "where is that other 10% going?" "How can I find it?" "What is realistic, given server lag, human reactions etc?" Even if I only find 5%/6%/7% of this missing amount, that could mean the difference between victory & wiping.


While the difference between victory and wiping is obviously important, it's not just about that. For me, it's very simply doing my best. Why would I settle for less? It's all around mental attitude that extends to real life. I don't do less than my best at work, either, and that's not just because I'm getting paid. I do it because less is just that - less. I guess that's perfectionism, but I just don't understand doing things half-assed. Do it right, do it well, end of story.

As it applies to the game, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in less intense activities that do not require a lot of thought or concentration. A group raid is not one of those times. You are going out with a group of other players to accomplish a goal. Why would you not do everything you can to accomplish that goal? A parser to establish the most efficient way to accomplish that goal is part of that. If nothing else, I want the raid to be over with so I can go do other stuff - whether IRL or in-game. The other players are real people who are there to accompish the same goal; it is just plain rude to waste their time. They have other things to do as well.

You want to half-*** it, fine. But don't waste everyone's time because you can't be bothered to figure out how to optimize your performance.
#40 Aug 22 2013 at 5:21 AM Rating: Good
Man the good old days of parsing dps I was a sin in eq2 we loved to parser another good thing about the parser we used it also alerted you of mobs abilities major and minor especially the ones that hurt and are aoe.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 7:22am by hunglikeafieldmouse
#41 Aug 22 2013 at 6:16 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
197 posts
Mollyrose wrote:
carmelita wrote:
If I'm playing a character to 90% of it's potential, my interest is immediately in "where is that other 10% going?" "How can I find it?" "What is realistic, given server lag, human reactions etc?" Even if I only find 5%/6%/7% of this missing amount, that could mean the difference between victory & wiping.


While the difference between victory and wiping is obviously important, it's not just about that. For me, it's very simply doing my best. Why would I settle for less? It's all around mental attitude that extends to real life. I don't do less than my best at work, either, and that's not just because I'm getting paid. I do it because less is just that - less. I guess that's perfectionism, but I just don't understand doing things half-assed. Do it right, do it well, end of story.

As it applies to the game, there are plenty of opportunities to engage in less intense activities that do not require a lot of thought or concentration. A group raid is not one of those times. You are going out with a group of other players to accomplish a goal. Why would you not do everything you can to accomplish that goal? A parser to establish the most efficient way to accomplish that goal is part of that. If nothing else, I want the raid to be over with so I can go do other stuff - whether IRL or in-game. The other players are real people who are there to accompish the same goal; it is just plain rude to waste their time. They have other things to do as well.

You want to half-*** it, fine. But don't waste everyone's time because you can't be bothered to figure out how to optimize your performance.

Sorry - good point. I clearly didn't express myself well, as yours really is similar to my mindset. If the group wins but I've had a rubbish fight, I have (very occasionally) passed on loot, as I felt I didn't deserve it.

I made a similar post somewhere else here, about running the 3 starter dungeons in OB as a LNC. I could have just spammed True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust, or mashed on Impulse Drive from behind the target, and cleared it. It's tutorial content, after all. But (with some ACH abilities), I was managing a DoT, a debuff, 2 buffs (one being positional dependent), a 30s CD stun, a positional attack and a 2-part combo. Managing several things helps keep one sharp, but (as you say) dammit, I'm going to play this right!

And later on, "playing right" can only really be determined through dispassionate metrics (aka parsers). I'm not hardcore, but I'm not casual either. I'm just a guy, who wants to play the best he can, and help those who want to improve play their best too (I'm a teacher irl, after all ...). If you don't want to learn & improve, no problem - it's your $14.99/month. BUT, to borrow the old chestnut, be aware that 7 others, and their $104.93/month, may feel differently.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 11:17pm by carmelita
#42 Aug 22 2013 at 6:55 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,899 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
So basically people who use parsers are out to make everyone play how they do, to drive them around like bosses at a job. Gotcha I and many others are correct in calling you elitists. I dont need a parser to tell me how to play, Im an intelligent grown man, who can actually read what a tool tip is tyvm. I will let you parser crutch folks in on a secret, people were raiding without them before quite successfully. Yes I know a shock to you.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 12:22am by Ehllfire


Honestly, did you even bother reading what people are posting in this thread? Almost everyone in here is advocating the use of parsers on a PERSONAL level to improve your own performance. It's really not a question of if it will improve your performance, it's a question of by how much. Let me give you a little example:

In swtor, I went for about 6 months in endgame without using a parser. I knew the exact rotation that I thought was getting me the most damage. I read all the tooltips, I scoured the forums for the most up to date information, and I played around with my rotations all the time to maximize my efficiency. Then one day, I came across a parser that actually worked for me (had tried a few that just didn't perform well), and I immediately was able to test out different ways of playing, I was able to hone in on things like how much DoT I was doing to different mobs, when exactly would be the best time to focus on my big hitting skills vs. my DoT skills, and when to best utilize group buff moves vs. self buff moves. After really taking some time to decipher all of this data, the immediate impact was a roughly 150 DPS increase in the raid we were working on. Since my DPS sat around 1800 for the majority of the raid at the time, that was almost a 10% increase in my overall efficiency. I would have never been able to gain that 10% without utilizing a parser because there's simply no way to "eyeball" everything in terms of damage and the effect that buffs and other skills can have on your performance.

The point is,a parser isn't a crutch, it's a tool. As I said, I don't expect everyone to use it, and I would never make it mandatory in any of my groups,but for self-evaluation purposes it is an excellent way to get the most out of your rotation. If you don't want to use it fine, but don't act like you're a better player or something for not using it.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#43 Aug 22 2013 at 7:14 AM Rating: Decent
*****
12,622 posts
MitArgento wrote:
"If i couldn't move and fight back i'd hate you too..."

hah!

I lol'd too :)
____________________________
Blah
#44 Aug 22 2013 at 7:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
488 posts
Wow how did this thread become a crying fest for parsers, god forbid someone wants to make their character better so they can kill endgame bosses. If you people don't plan on endgame you don't need to use one, but to kill the hardest monsters it is fun to see what gives you the best damage output.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 9:23am by Mopdaddy
Just want to add one thing you people say that parsers make people ******** when the only holes I see are the people **** bent on bashing anyone that uses them. Funny b.c those people think they act any different then the people they hate, when in reality they are worse.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 9:26am by Mopdaddy
#45 Aug 22 2013 at 8:19 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Ehllfire wrote:
So basically people who use parsers are out to make everyone play how they do, to drive them around like bosses at a job.


That's the second time you've decided to broadly generalize every one who uses a tool in a negative way. First it was "They're all bads" and now it's "They're all control freaks." Are you just trolling?

Quote:

Gotcha I and many others are correct in calling you elitists.


You can call parser users whatever name you want, but it doesn't make it true. Even the label "elitist" is meaningless. Some of the content in the game will be difficut and group centric. The enjoyment of 7 other people or 23 other people may be determined in part by your willingness to conform to expectations and/or "try hard" at a game. If wanting to succeed at hard content makes some one an elitist so be it, but if you don't want to succeed, then why are you there, and if you're not there, why do you care?

But even that's irrelevant because as you say:

Quote:
I dont need a parser to tell me how to play, Im an intelligent grown man, who can actually read what a tool tip is tyvm.


So you are basically an expert without needing any help, which means that some one who is parsing your performance shouldn't really find any problem with what you're doing. Regardless of whether you're doing it the way some one else thinks you should, the numbers should speak for themselves. You will be near the top of damage boards, or effective healing, or damage mitigation and threat generation, avoiding AoEs, etc.

Since you are such a great player, no one will have any reason to "tell you how to play." So what's the problem exactly?

It sounds like maybe you are "awesome" in your mind, but in measurable results, tend to fall short (almost all people over estimate their own competence at everything they do, so don't feel too bad) or you are worrying about something which can't possibly effect you.

Not to mention, you've simply chosen to ignore that the biggest reason people use parsers isn't to improve your performance but to improve their own. You sneer at this behavior and degrade those people, for what reason? If you're not actually better than them (and I suspect you're not, but you insist you are) then you're the fool for calling THEM "bad", and if you ARE better, then you're the very elitist you accuse others of being.

Either way, your disdain doesn't make logical sense. It seems like an emotional reaction based on ... what? People failing to recognize how awesome you are naturally? Some one told you to use Sushi instead of Mithkabobs?

What life experience makes you comfortable asserting that all people who use parsers are bad players or bad people? IMO, no valid excuse exists to make such claims.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 10:26am by KarlHungis
#46 Aug 22 2013 at 8:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,511 posts
Parser comparisons are irrelevant anyhow. You could do the most damage of your group by far, but if you take damage like a wet paper towel and drain the MP of your healers all by yourself while everyone else is pacing their damage and keeping their defense up... then who is in the wrong there?

The guys not dealing an aweful lot of damage in comparison? Or the guy who is sucking up alliance MP for cures like a sponge?

The correct way is to see which piece of gear lets you deal more damage than the piece you had before. If you use it to judge the performance of others, you're doing something wrong.

I've seen it in XI often enough. Someone would brag about how he is doing 5000 damage weaponskills over the group average of 4000. Parser would probably show that he's dealing more damage. What it doesnt show is that the monster is now hitting him instead of the Tank, who by the way would easily have been able to absorb all the damage without breaking a sweat, and that everyone is now wasting MP trying to keep the raging DD's **** alive. And for what? So the monster you were fighting died 3% quicker than it would before only to have to waste a lot more time than you gained trying to restore MP or raise the people they couldnt cure anymore? Because that's the point where people blame the Tank or the Healers instead, right? They should have had more MP, more refresh, or should be able to hold hate better, right?

It's a game. Cooperation and playing together are way more important than who has the biggest e-peen. I thought we were all mature by now.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 4:36pm by KojiroSoma
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#47 Aug 22 2013 at 8:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,550 posts
BartelX wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
I completely agree that players should be coached and helped instead of being tossed aside. I know how that feels, and it sucks. I'm sorry if it came out that way.

Here is why I started believing in the use of parsers:
Back when FFXI launched I had two favorite jobs. Monk and Dragoon. It was **** finding a group sometimes.. know why? Because people parsed with their eyeballs and didn't see my hits adding up to those of a Dark Knight or other heavy hitting jobs. Then one day some guys started computing the DPS (they called it DoT back then, which was kinda weird..). They showed the players that Monks hit much faster and their damage often added up to much more than a DK's in an xp fight. They showed that the Dragoon's wyvern balanced their slow hitting speed and put them on par as well. All of the sudden people were seeking out my job for groups! Without people like Pathfinder (old math guy from FFXI), Monks wouldn't have seen the light of day (literally, they'd be stuck in KRT all the time Smiley: lol ).

So although parsers and the like can lead to nasty people being nastier, I think the benefits outweigh the downside. Just my opinion.


I completely agree with you here, and I figured you weren't intentionally trying to breed that sort of "kick em to the curb" mentality, I think it's just because you were actively debating against someone so adamantly opposed to parsers that it came off that way a bit. FFXI is when I started using parsers, for almost the exact same reason. My main was a thf, and everone always said they didn't need me after 60 because other jobs hit harder and could SATA. Then I'd show them the parse at the end of the fight, where I actually did just as much melee damage as drks, sams, etc because of my attack speed and using attack food, and WS'd twice as often due to much faster TP gain and being able to split up SA and TA. Course, I also had sam and war leveled, and my war was geared to the teeth so I couldn't really compete with it on thf, but against your average to above average geared players I'd easily hold my own.

I actually love using a parser. I almost always parse in games to figure out what I can be doing better. But like I said, I use it more as a self-evaluation tool and would never make it a requirement for anyone else unless it became clear that we weren't beating content specifically because of a lack of DPS. Being able to see everyone elses damage often does lead to elitism and epeen wagging, as unfortunate as that is. It's why I really disliked recount in WoW.


So basically you used parsers as a tool to prove to others that pack mentality can and will often be disproven. I was blu/thf. People hated my job choice. I wish consoles would have had a parser. I knew I did a ton of DPS, I just couldn't prove it.
____________________________
Character Name: Valk Ayree
Server: Lamia; Free Company Leader - The Swarm (Swarm)
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1746889/
- Blue Mage? FTW? -
#48 Aug 22 2013 at 8:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
Parser comparisons are irrelevant anyhow. You could do the most damage of your group by far, but if you take damage like a wet paper towel and drain the MP of your healers all by yourself while everyone else is pacing their damage and keeping their defense up... then who is in the wrong there?


But even that is an example of something that can be shown using a parser much more efficiently than arguing with some one that they are or aren't taking "too much damage." Good parsers, the kind that "serious" players would actually use, will include damage taken, and from what sources. If Mr Selfish starts strutting then it's not usually hard to show "Here's the damage you took, and here's the damage every one else took" to make that point.

Parsers are like any tool, they can be misused. Their value depends on understanding what information is truly important, how to interpret it, and also the ability to understand that not everything important shows up on a parser. Some one who is abusive to other guild or raid members or has a constant "what's in it for me?" selfish attitude may not be worth having around even if their DPS rotation brings all the boys to the yard.

The fact that human beings can be flawed though doesn't mean that having less information about the world is better than having more information. Especially when you're talking about content that people take on specifically to test themselves and gain a feeling of mastery. Knowing why you're failing, or why some one else is succeeding can be very empowering, and can lead to more satisfaction and happiness in the game.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 10:55am by KarlHungis
#49 Aug 22 2013 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,719 posts
Quote:
Parser comparisons are irrelevant anyhow. You could do the most damage of your group by far, but if you take damage like a wet paper towel and drain the MP of your healers all by yourself while everyone else is pacing their damage and keeping their defense up... then who is in the wrong there?


That's all situational. In a straight tank-and-spank style fight, output is all that matters. In a fight with mechanics, you do the mechanics. If you need to hold back a bit so you don't over-threat the tank, then you do that.

This is all about being a good player. If you've been following this thread, you'll see that the people talking about parsers like they are NOT the harbinger of the coming apocalypse are talking about using them responsibly. It is not responsible to get killed just to inflate your own numbers; that's common sense.

Quote:
What it doesnt show is that the monster is now hitting him instead of the Tank, who by the way would easily have been able to absorb all the damage without breaking a sweat, and that everyone is now wasting MP trying to keep the raging DD's **** alive.


Actually Damage Taken is a normal stat that a parser will keep track of. The tunnel-visioning DD in your scenario here would have an unreasonably high amount of that.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2013 9:51am by Callinon
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#50 Aug 22 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
392 posts
Wint wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Awesome! Now all we need is a dps parser like recount or skada and we can perfect our rotations and conquer The Crystal Tower! Very cool addition, I was really hoping for this.


Cough XIV-App Cough


I will start off by saying i have not clue what a Parser is but from i've read, it tracks your information during gameplay for personal evaluation and assessment.
it does seem like it may cause some problems when playing with those who might take the game as seriously as others.

This sounds great for those of us who want to get better at our jobs. I have a few questions though; is it only for DPS? And can i only use it when the game is running??

____________________________
"You are what you are on paper."
-
Avirex Idyll - Faerie Server
#51 Aug 22 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
259 posts
RyanSquires wrote:
Wint wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Awesome! Now all we need is a dps parser like recount or skada and we can perfect our rotations and conquer The Crystal Tower! Very cool addition, I was really hoping for this.


Cough XIV-App Cough


I will start off by saying i have not clue what a Parser is but from i've read, it tracks your information during gameplay for personal evaluation and assessment. [...]


Small intermission: A parser is a computer program that reads sentences and chops them up into words, Those words can then be further processed, or interpreted. Example: "This is a sentence." A parser can read that and create a data structure out of that, for instance: ["This" "is" "a" "sentence"]

You can set up if your client such that it saves your chat log and battle logs to your computer hard disk. A parser can now read these files and pick up sentences like: "You did 530 damage to the squirrel!". Now if the structure of these sentences are always the same, the damage number is always on third place, you can interpret this as one damage data point in a given fight. All damage numbers collected and summed up for a fight is the complete damage you did in a fight. Even better is when you turn on time stamps in the configuration of your battle logs. Now you can compute the amount of damage dealt over a given time span and compute the damage per second ratio (DPS).

Hope this wasn't too technical.

Now back to the heated topic at hand...
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)