Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

2 Maintenance Attempts and It Still Fails!Follow

#1 Aug 24 2013 at 6:30 PM Rating: Default
41 posts
The Duty Finder is again failing on class/story quests. 1 time, sure. 2 times, ok, maybe. But 3 times... SE either has pathetic QA people or they are seriously inept.
#2 Aug 24 2013 at 6:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
100 posts
OMG for real. I lucked out and got into the instance once, but now I cant get back in...
#3 Aug 24 2013 at 6:37 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
126 posts
They made an announcement to inform us that maintenance was extended. If we could all be patient and stop logging in and making it worse, we may get to play tonight.

Edited, Aug 24th 2013 8:37pm by torokerusenjo
____________________________
˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ

Amanda ♥ CST ♥
FFXIV: ♥ Torokeru Senjo ♥ Malboro ♥ Miqo'te ♥ Aspiring Scholar

˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ ˚. ★ *˛ ˚♥* ✰。˚ ˚ღ。* ˛˚ ♥ 。✰˚* ˚ ★ღ
#4 Aug 24 2013 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
310 posts
torokerusenjo wrote:
They made an announcement to inform us that maintenance was extended. If we could all be patient and stop logging in and making it worse, we may get to play tonight.

Edited, Aug 24th 2013 8:37pm by torokerusenjo



it WASN'T extended

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN it was finished EARLIER, exactly the opposite of what you are thinking.
#5 Aug 24 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Default
**
487 posts
In fact I don't think they did a thing other than a server restart
____________________________
BANNED
#6 Aug 24 2013 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
*****
12,622 posts
Calm your boobies, people. I'm sure they are doing as much as they can in software until they put the instance server in something MASSIVELY more powerful sometime tomorrow. I'm guessing that the queues are taking the machine itself offline.
____________________________
Blah
#7 Aug 24 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
41 posts
Maybe if they either made more servers, or didn't have the ENTIRE WORLD (minus Japan) going through a single Duty Finder server. Then, and only then, it might be fixed.
#8 Aug 24 2013 at 7:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Lefein wrote:
Calm your boobies, people. I'm sure they are doing as much as they can in software until they put the instance server in something MASSIVELY more powerful sometime tomorrow. I'm guessing that the queues are taking the machine itself offline.


Haha! I've never heard it put quite like that. Yeah, I was just chatting in LS that they need redundancy here, but a bigger box would work too. They simply were not prepared for the overwhelmingness of our teeming mass, since servers were built well before the final pre-order numbers rolled in.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#9 Aug 24 2013 at 7:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
826 posts
Turgis wrote:
Maybe if they either made more servers, or didn't have the ENTIRE WORLD (minus Japan) going through a single Duty Finder server. Then, and only then, it might be fixed.


They're having issues on that side as well, just not on such a large scale at the moment.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#10 Aug 24 2013 at 9:15 PM Rating: Good
Man if they only had a beta to test all these problems...
#11 Aug 24 2013 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Turgis wrote:
Maybe if they either made more servers, or didn't have the ENTIRE WORLD (minus Japan) going through a single Duty Finder server. Then, and only then, it might be fixed.


It's more likely a server cluster. If I had to guess, the weak point is actually the switch connected to the cluster getting hammered from all the requests. "The server" is a generic term for "the units associated with this task."

Edited, Aug 24th 2013 11:18pm by Catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#12 Aug 24 2013 at 9:18 PM Rating: Decent
*
210 posts
I'm stuck. I have run out of quest, can't do my main quests and done all the hunts I can for my level.

Can't level anymore jobs either as I can't do my level 10 quest.
#13 Aug 24 2013 at 9:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
170 posts
I have a few friends who cant progress at all because of this. I was a lucky to get as far as I did. We are taking a break and see if it dies down a bit.
____________________________
Character: Sasanji Chechenji (BLM)
Server: Ultros
Master of the Black Market Mercs Free Company (BMM)
#14 Aug 24 2013 at 9:22 PM Rating: Good
**
398 posts
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/124e87b2db76901acd9edf3d12a6a7d344e892bc
____________________________
nan des no kono miso shiru wa?

Aekamasaki
Bismark,Rabanstre
#15 Aug 24 2013 at 9:23 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
Oh, the JP data center is going down at 4PM their time on a Sunday. It's their turn now it seems.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#16 Aug 25 2013 at 1:18 AM Rating: Excellent
44 posts
SE has been doing beta testing for the past couple months and they still have this type of problem. As a software engineer I can tell you that stress test and server loading is a must. I have no confident that their infrastructure can handle the type of volume we will see next week when the game is officially released.
#17 Aug 25 2013 at 1:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,755 posts
just got up, managed to get in an instanced fight that had been holding me up in the storyline, servers down again, guess ill go back to bed :p
____________________________
Dwayna
75WHM 75BLM
94+2 Clothcraft
Lakshmi
#18 Aug 25 2013 at 1:27 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
811 posts
Turgis wrote:
The Duty Finder is again failing on class/story quests. 1 time, sure. 2 times, ok, maybe. But 3 times... SE either has pathetic QA people or they are seriously inept.

The first 2 down times yesterday weren't for the duty finder issues.
Maybe you should get informed before making childish assumptions.
They're working on it. It's obviously not a simple issue to resolve.
But I'm sure calling them inept when you have no idea what the problems they face are makes sense.
Clearly you're an expert.
#19 Aug 25 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
pc69 wrote:
SE has been doing beta testing for the past couple months and they still have this type of problem. As a software engineer I can tell you that stress test and server loading is a must. I have no confident that their infrastructure can handle the type of volume we will see next week when the game is officially released.


Been playing since alpha. We never had these issues, even during stress testing. Why? The servers were all in Japan at the time.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#20 Aug 25 2013 at 9:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
33 posts
It's got to be the massive cluster of people on the NA servers. The server had no problem this morning at 5 am est with instancing then at 9 am est, there was a sudden drop of communication. I was able to push hard into the storyline - other quests showing up as error. The same with dungeons but thankfully anything with the storyline I was able to finish.

I think maintenance is a good thing because it purges the server for a bit. I keep seeing tons of people AFK everywhere.
#21 Aug 25 2013 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
41 posts
ShonaSeraph wrote:
Turgis wrote:
The Duty Finder is again failing on class/story quests. 1 time, sure. 2 times, ok, maybe. But 3 times... SE either has pathetic QA people or they are seriously inept.

The first 2 down times yesterday weren't for the duty finder issues.
Maybe you should get informed before making childish assumptions.
They're working on it. It's obviously not a simple issue to resolve.
But I'm sure calling them inept when you have no idea what the problems they face are makes sense.
Clearly you're an expert.


It actually was for this same issue as friends and I have been unable to enter an instanced story/quest since early yesterday when the servers first came down. How about you practice what you preach. Since we've now had 4 server take-downs,maybe a 5th, 6th, or 10th will get you off your fanboy horse and finally give them some constructive criticism instead of being a "Oh it's OK, take your time" person.

You people fail to understand customer service or retention. Whether you are empathic with SE or not, the fact remains that when customers are unhappy, bad things happen, whether in restaurants, stores, or even games. A popular phrase with retention is that it takes multiple great visits to replace one single bad one. While you may be a SE fanboy/supporter (whichever word you want), the fact remains that 85% of everyone else is not and will (what fanboys like to use as a counter to their own name-calling) "rage."

Accept reality and understand that SE is really shooting themselves in the foot, and quite badly at that. FF is a great game and was developed well on the game front. Right now their server infrastructure is setting the stage for a truly horrible and memorably-failing launch.
#22 Aug 25 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Decent
44 posts
There is no excuse for SE. This is simply bad planning. They distributed all the beta/early access keys and should have the hardware to handle all the volume.
#23 Aug 25 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,775 posts
Turgis wrote:

It actually was for this same issue as friends and I have been unable to enter an instanced story/quest since early yesterday when the servers first came down. How about you practice what you preach. Since we've now had 4 server take-downs,maybe a 5th, 6th, or 10th will get you off your fanboy horse and finally give them some constructive criticism instead of being a "Oh it's OK, take your time" person.

You people fail to understand customer service or retention. Whether you are empathic with SE or not, the fact remains that when customers are unhappy, bad things happen, whether in restaurants, stores, or even games. A popular phrase with retention is that it takes multiple great visits to replace one single bad one. While you may be a SE fanboy/supporter (whichever word you want), the fact remains that 85% of everyone else is not and will (what fanboys like to use as a counter to their own name-calling) "rage."

Accept reality and understand that SE is really shooting themselves in the foot, and quite badly at that. FF is a great game and was developed well on the game front. Right now their server infrastructure is setting the stage for a truly horrible and memorably-failing launch.


Everyone has their own levels of tolerance for issues like this. It's not unrealistic to assume some people might reach their breaking point sooner than others without the caveat that it's fanboyish or SE apologists defending the company. My reponse to these server issues is based purely on my background in the networking field. I know these problems can be resolved because I have experience with fixing them. Now the real problem for SE isn't if they can fix these issues, but if they can do it fast enough that players like yourself don't rage quit. If it makes you feel any better, SE knows they have to fix this as soon as possible. I suspect they'll have it under-wraps by the first week.
#24 Aug 25 2013 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
As I've mentioned numerous times in other threads, those of us who work in IT tend to be a bit more patient about this.

Did you know that under "emergency service level agreements" the most catastrophic problems have a promised resolution time of four hours? Four hours.

My last job was doing tech support for a hospital. I'm sorry doctor, your server's motherboard went out. We're firing up the virtual backup server right now but it'll be slow and laggy and any data entered into it will be lost when we return you to your real server. You will have to inconvenience your patients and ask them to reschedule their appointments. We are very sorry about this.

We've got a spare motherboard from a similar model on hand BY PURE FORTUNATE CHANCE and we're going to swap it out ON SITE IN YOUR SERVER CLOSET so you'll be back up and running this afternoon. Once we've got you running, we'll call the manufacturer and get them to bring out the real part, and have them swap it out during lunch.

One such medical office ran on such a Frankenserver for about a month because they didn't have the cash on hand to buy a brand new $2000 server right away.... even though we warned them last year their server was five years old and needed to be replaced. My office was full of ******* miracle workers.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#25 Aug 25 2013 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,145 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
Turgis wrote:

It actually was for this same issue as friends and I have been unable to enter an instanced story/quest since early yesterday when the servers first came down. How about you practice what you preach. Since we've now had 4 server take-downs,maybe a 5th, 6th, or 10th will get you off your fanboy horse and finally give them some constructive criticism instead of being a "Oh it's OK, take your time" person.

You people fail to understand customer service or retention. Whether you are empathic with SE or not, the fact remains that when customers are unhappy, bad things happen, whether in restaurants, stores, or even games. A popular phrase with retention is that it takes multiple great visits to replace one single bad one. While you may be a SE fanboy/supporter (whichever word you want), the fact remains that 85% of everyone else is not and will (what fanboys like to use as a counter to their own name-calling) "rage."

Accept reality and understand that SE is really shooting themselves in the foot, and quite badly at that. FF is a great game and was developed well on the game front. Right now their server infrastructure is setting the stage for a truly horrible and memorably-failing launch.


Everyone has their own levels of tolerance for issues like this. It's not unrealistic to assume some people might reach their breaking point sooner than others without the caveat that it's fanboyish or SE apologists defending the company. My reponse to these server issues is based purely on my background in the networking field. I know these problems can be resolved because I have experience with fixing them. Now the real problem for SE isn't if they can fix these issues, but if they can do it fast enough that players like yourself don't rage quit. If it makes you feel any better, SE knows they have to fix this as soon as possible. I suspect they'll have it under-wraps by the first week.

Seconded.

It basically just a matter of how fast they fix it before they start dropping people. Those who are thinking about it, but haven't purchased yet will be the first to go and that will probably go into effect just before to just after launch. The pre-order people who could stick around until as late as the 30th before they're forced to register and eat the 30-70 bucks. Previous 1.0 owners get 14 days. New players or old ones who paid again for early access get 30.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#26 Aug 25 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Decent
41 posts
The game itself is great - loved playing it. And I agree that non-IT people won't have the level of empathy you're requested. Sadly, this is realiy; people are getting annoyed. It also reaks of rampant favoritism to the *** audiance when NA/EU populations make up 70% of their current player-base based on Early Access sales, yet *** servers are as numerous as the NA/EU servers with nowhere near the problems. Last night was the only time I've seen *** servers brought down at the same time as NA/EU servers, and it was do a "just in case" fix, not an emergency one.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 97 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (97)