Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

seriously why does japan have so many servers?Follow

#1 Aug 24 2013 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
58 posts
I don't understand why the rest of the world has limited servers when they are the majority of the player base. Japan, however has an equal number of servers even though their player base is limited. If SE distributed servers relative to player count maybe the JP servers wouldn't be the only ones running optimally?
#2 Aug 24 2013 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
Just out of curiosity, where are you getting this information from?
#3 Aug 24 2013 at 8:18 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
#4 Aug 24 2013 at 8:21 PM Rating: Good
**
694 posts
Final Fantasy franchise is a lot bigger in Japan. And I sure there other Asian countries that use those servers
#5 Aug 24 2013 at 8:21 PM Rating: Decent
*
58 posts
Is there server capacity smaller? enlighten me. Why have an abundance of servers with smaller capacity? why not do that for NA and EU? The empirical evidence is even evident to my nearly blind father.
#6 Aug 24 2013 at 8:22 PM Rating: Decent
*
58 posts
Scholar
**
689 posts
"Final Fantasy franchise is a lot bigger in Japan. And I sure there other Asian countries that use those servers"


They still speak different languages and have different time zones. If FF is just as popular in japan wouldn't their servers be crashing too, because of over crowding? obviously that is not the case.

Edited, Aug 24th 2013 10:23pm by supernokes
#7 Aug 24 2013 at 8:25 PM Rating: Decent
*
58 posts
Pelacha wrote:
Final Fantasy franchise is a lot bigger in Japan. And I sure there other Asian countries that use those servers

They still speak different languages and have different time zones. If FF is just as popular in japan wouldn't their servers be crashing too, because of over crowding? obviously that is not the case.
#8 Aug 24 2013 at 8:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
I meant, where are you getting the data that JP servers aren't also getting crushed to the same extent NA/EU servers are, or the data that shows that NA/EU players are a much higher percentage than JP players? From what my old army buddy in Japan is telling me over Skype, their servers aren't in great shape either, although he hears that some are better than others. From what I can tell, everyone's got the usual MMO-launch woes.
#9 Aug 24 2013 at 8:31 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
Medieve wrote:
I meant, where are you getting the data that JP servers aren't also getting crushed to the same extent NA/EU servers are, or the data that shows that NA/EU players are a much higher percentage than JP players? From what my old army buddy in Japan is telling me over Skype, their servers aren't in great shape either, although he hears that some are better than others. From what I can tell, everyone's got the usual MMO-launch woes.


https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_JP Because my roommate can read japanese. Moreover, if their servers having issues(for any skeptics) just look at the last post its 6 hrs ago; There would be a recent post of apologies like on the English forums saying they are looking into the matter. The JP servers are running flawless. This is also why they didn't get a mere 6 hour extension into the dead of night during the beta phase 4.
#10 Aug 24 2013 at 8:47 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
137 posts
Call me silly if you like -but all this makes me want to do is roll a character on a JP server.
Being in the UK and all our "Euro" servers in Montreal along with NA
I really don't feel "at home" on any server.
I think I preferred FFXI's system of all servers mixed and all servers in Japan
____________________________
FFXI: Kiyaya :Siren:
99 WAR/RDM/BLM/BRD/PLD/NIN/DNC/BST/MNK/SAM

FFXIV: Kiya Sirenia : Siren:
DoM: 37 Arcanist, SMN and SCH 15CNJ 15THM
DoW: 13MRD 12PUG
DoH: 45WVR 45BSM 45GSM 44CUL 40ALC 40CRP 39LTW 39ARM
DoL: 50FSH 47MIN 47BTN
#11 Aug 24 2013 at 8:56 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,145 posts
supernokes wrote:
If FF is just as popular in japan wouldn't their servers be crashing too, because of over crowding? obviously that is not the case.

JP servers have the JP button. Obviously that expands capacity and prevents errors and crashes.

In all seriousness, SE sees both regions as not JP so they arbitrarily decided to give the NA/EU the same number of servers as JP.

One for you. One for me.
Two for you. One, two for me.
Three for you. One, two, three for me.

Trust me, it just 'looks' like I have twice as many as you ಠ_ಠ
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#12 Aug 24 2013 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
supernokes wrote:
If FF is just as popular in japan wouldn't their servers be crashing too, because of over crowding? obviously that is not the case.

JP servers have the JP button. Obviously that expands capacity and prevents errors and crashes.

In all seriousness, SE sees both regions as not JP so they arbitrarily decided to give the NA/EU the same number of servers as JP.

One for you. One for me.
Two for you. One, two for me.
Three for you. One, two, three for me.

Trust me, it just 'looks' like I have twice as many as you ಠ_ಠ


The same reason as why NA MMORPG tends to have twice as many NA servers against the rest of the world.

Oops, we shouldn't talk about how other companies do. Apparently whatever SE do like other companies, they are still the ultimate evil.
____________________________




#13 Aug 24 2013 at 9:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
129 posts
supernokes wrote:
I don't understand why the rest of the world has limited servers when they are the majority of the player base. Japan, however has an equal number of servers even though their player base is limited. If SE distributed servers relative to player count maybe the JP servers wouldn't be the only ones running optimally?


Japan is da mothahland! Bettah' recognize!! Where's that youtube link that was posted a few days ago....
#14 Aug 24 2013 at 9:41 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,145 posts
Khornette wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
supernokes wrote:
If FF is just as popular in japan wouldn't their servers be crashing too, because of over crowding? obviously that is not the case.

JP servers have the JP button. Obviously that expands capacity and prevents errors and crashes.

In all seriousness, SE sees both regions as not JP so they arbitrarily decided to give the NA/EU the same number of servers as JP.

One for you. One for me.
Two for you. One, two for me.
Three for you. One, two, three for me.

Trust me, it just 'looks' like I have twice as many as you ಠ_ಠ


The same reason as why NA MMORPG tends to have twice as many NA servers against the rest of the world.

Oops, we shouldn't talk about how other companies do. Apparently whatever SE do like other companies, they are still the ultimate evil.

Because NA MMOs are as popular in Japan as Final Fantasy is worldwide, right? Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#15 Aug 24 2013 at 9:51 PM Rating: Good
*
220 posts
#16 Aug 24 2013 at 9:54 PM Rating: Decent
So, you are Apple. You like making money.

Now, do you place more stores in, say New York City, NY, where people have more money, more technology... or in Podunk, NY?
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#17 Aug 24 2013 at 10:02 PM Rating: Decent
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
So, you are Apple. You like making money.

Now, do you place more stores in, say New York City, NY, where people have more money, more technology... or in Middle of the State Illinois?


FTFY, really help with the point.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#18 Aug 24 2013 at 10:20 PM Rating: Decent
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Pawkeshup, Averter of the Apocalypse wrote:
So, you are Apple. You like making money.

Now, do you place more stores in, say New York City, NY, where people have more money, more technology... or in Middle of the State Illinois?


FTFY, really help with the point.

I was gunning for a Podunk reference to get people to see if it was real, but yea, sure. It does make more sense.

... I just like a town name Podunk.
____________________________
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pawkeshup
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/pawkeshup
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/pawkeshup
Blog: http://pawkeshup.blogspot.com
Olorinus the Ludicrous wrote:
The idea of old school is way more interesting than the reality
#19 Aug 24 2013 at 10:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
311 posts
You can hang me for assuming...but wouldn't NA alone have way more players than Japan? Japan is like 1/4 the size of the state of Texas, why do they need an equal amount of servers as NA and EU combined?

SE should have given the NA/EU group about 4 of the JP servers. If they'd have done that, we might not have seen as many overcrowding issues today.

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide
____________________________
FFXIV: Raxion Gunsoul - Brynhildr - 50PLD 50SMN 50SCH 50DRG
WoW: Raxion - Greymane- 90 Druid
FFXI: Nion - Asura - 99 BLU, PUP, SMN, DRG, PLD 50+ DNC, NIN, MNK, THF, WHM, SAM, WAR
#20 Aug 24 2013 at 11:03 PM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
Teracide wrote:
You can hang me for assuming...but wouldn't NA alone have way more players than Japan? Japan is like 1/4 the size of the state of Texas, why do they need an equal amount of servers as NA and EU combined?

SE should have given the NA/EU group about 4 of the JP servers. If they'd have done that, we might not have seen as many overcrowding issues today.

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide


This was my initial implication.
#21 Aug 24 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
Teracide wrote:
You can hang me for assuming...but wouldn't NA alone have way more players than Japan? Japan is like 1/4 the size of the state of Texas, why do they need an equal amount of servers as NA and EU combined?

SE should have given the NA/EU group about 4 of the JP servers. If they'd have done that, we might not have seen as many overcrowding issues today.



Land size has nothing to due with it o.O
Out of the 127,350,000 people in Japan, what % do you think are playing this game?
Out of the 316,517,000 USA + 35,141,542 Canada + 300k for EU (made up number) = 351m NA/EU people?

Are the servers for NA/EU actually not in Japan and in NA (Cali?) and w/e works best for EU (France/Germany)?
Are you unable to pick to play on these other servers?
Why would SE not cater to the Japanese marker? It is a Japanese game.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#22 Aug 24 2013 at 11:11 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
I would assume that those Japanese servers are intended for everyone in Asia. There are an awful lot of people in Asia.
#23 Aug 24 2013 at 11:14 PM Rating: Good
Caesura wrote:
I would assume that those Japanese servers are intended for everyone in Asia. There are an awful lot of people in Asia.



Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:14am by Sandinmygum
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
#24 Aug 25 2013 at 12:04 AM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
Teracide wrote:
You can hang me for assuming...but wouldn't NA alone have way more players than Japan? Japan is like 1/4 the size of the state of Texas, why do they need an equal amount of servers as NA and EU combined?

SE should have given the NA/EU group about 4 of the JP servers. If they'd have done that, we might not have seen as many overcrowding issues today.

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide

Edited, Aug 25th 2013 12:48am by Teracide


This was my initial implication.
#25 Aug 25 2013 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
*
58 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Teracide wrote:
You can hang me for assuming...but wouldn't NA alone have way more players than Japan? Japan is like 1/4 the size of the state of Texas, why do they need an equal amount of servers as NA and EU combined?

SE should have given the NA/EU group about 4 of the JP servers. If they'd have done that, we might not have seen as many overcrowding issues today.



Land size has nothing to due with it o.O
Out of the 127,350,000 people in Japan, what % do you think are playing this game?
Out of the 316,517,000 USA + 35,141,542 Canada + 300k for EU (made up number) = 351m NA/EU people?

Are the servers for NA/EU actually not in Japan and in NA (Cali?) and w/e works best for EU (France/Germany)?
Are you unable to pick to play on these other servers?
Why would SE not cater to the Japanese marker? It is a Japanese game.


Your right next time a person from a different country or nation comes into my place of business i will ignore them and serve Americans first.
#26 Aug 25 2013 at 12:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
I live in Asia, specifically Thailand.

Although English is not one of the stronger languages here, people here definitely understand more English than Japanese. One would be more inclined to join an English-speaking server than a JP one.

And weird thing is, I actually get lowest latency in NA servers even though NA is on the other side of the planet. JP servers, which are closest, have highest latency for me.




Edited, Aug 25th 2013 1:07am by Threx
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#27 Aug 25 2013 at 12:15 AM Rating: Good
*
176 posts
So instead of ***** envy we've got server envy? Really? This is a thing now?
____________________________
Cannibalism is a valid means of debate. Your opponent presents their side of the argument and you respond in kind by consuming their liver. Thus the debate ends with you having proved your point. As a boon for being such a master of the debationary arts few people will wish to confront you in such a manner in the future.
#28 Aug 25 2013 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
123 posts
KissMyPixel wrote:
Call me silly if you like -but all this makes me want to do is roll a character on a JP server.
Being in the UK and all our "Euro" servers in Montreal along with NA
I really don't feel "at home" on any server.
I think I preferred FFXI's system of all servers mixed and all servers in Japan
Aye agreed
____________________________
Final Fantasy Radio
http://finalfantasyradio.co/
Amestra Blackoak Ultros Server
The Kraken Club

#29 Aug 25 2013 at 12:39 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Western players like to be on a busy servers, they will ask "which is the busiest server?" Japanese aren't quite the same.

That's probably why they have more servers.
____________________________
BANNED
#30 Aug 25 2013 at 12:57 AM Rating: Good
I have a couple of characters on Hades a JP server I payed the whole of the B4 there and when NA servers were offline they had none of the errors we had and were rock solid stable the whole time. They didn't have nearly as many people on as NA/EU in fact Hades felt a little empty. So I ask as well why do they have so many servers.
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#31 Aug 25 2013 at 1:02 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
Well Masamune is full to the bursting point, I guess we would have to see the numbers that the admins see. Maybe they just assume people are going to bail and don't want to invest in servers, which could very well make people leave because the servers are being so unstable. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens tommorow.
____________________________
#32 Aug 25 2013 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
**
639 posts
Japan servers hold most south east Asia. This includes China. Enough said. Ironicly their are a lot of indian people on these servers as well. Not sure why but I see them.
#33 Aug 25 2013 at 2:13 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
525 posts
I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people playing in Japan = the number of people playing everywhere else.

At least, initially.

But if the game takes off (which based on the first 26 hours: 3 maint, total down time 8ish hours, seems unlikely) I'm sure that will not be true much longer.

Unless, of course, it blows up in China and then they would all use JP servers for ping instead of the Canadian ones.

I can't believe the way the duty finder servers were getting crushed though....feels like something they could have anticipated and simply had more duty finder servers.
____________________________
I used to care about my sig. Then I got mocked and ****-hurt. I shall commence with the self-pity now.
#34 Aug 25 2013 at 4:12 AM Rating: Good
Hey all 7m from Australian anx I'm on titan server and it hasn't crashed once so far it's been a fliud experience.
I'm sorry to hear that the na/eu server are having trouble .
Im7 gonna take a stabbing guess and say the na/eu problem would be the sher volume of people logged in at one given time where as the Japanese server would have wider spread of people loginning in at different times.
#35 Aug 25 2013 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,438 posts
Population of Japan: 127.8 million people
Population of North America: 528.7 million people
Population of Europe: 739.2 million people

Japanese servers: 25
North American and European servers: 25

1.2679 billion people have the same number of servers split between them as 127.8 million people.

Now obviously the entire populations of these places are not playing FFXIV, but when you're setting up this kind of server infrastructure, you take proportions into account. There obviously aren't going to be ten times as many NA/EU players as there are JP, but there are for sure going to be more. It's going to be a bigger number. So why in the name of Yoshi's cigarettes would you not have more hardware in the place that needs to handle more people?

I brought this up when the server names were revealed. Same number of servers for Japan as for not-Japan. It made no sense then, AND THIS IS WHY.

Not only was this an entirely predictable problem, we predicted it.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#36 Aug 25 2013 at 9:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,755 posts
a random link from a 'clearly' reputable website has arrived!

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/761/final-fantasy-xi-online/
____________________________
Dwayna
75WHM 75BLM
94+2 Clothcraft
Lakshmi
#37 Aug 25 2013 at 9:08 AM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Population of Japan: 127.8 million people
Population of the rest of Asia: 4012 million people
Population of North America: 528.7 million people
Population of Europe: 739.2 million people

Japanese servers: 25
North American and European servers: 25

1.2679 billion people have the same number of servers split between them as 4.012 billion people.



I fixed it for you. They're SO shorting us.
#38 Aug 25 2013 at 9:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
47 posts
kimjongil76 wrote:
Japan servers hold most south east Asia. This includes China. Enough said.


I'm not sure what this proves, except maybe to indicate that Asian logins coming from outside of Japan have a relatively low impact on the server load. Surely if China were any sort of influencing force, the JP servers would be crippled more than ours.

It doesn't make sense -- if you're expecting a similar player volume between the NA/EU and Asia regions, why do you localize heavily for NA/EU but completely ignore localization for every Asian country outside of Japan?

Also why do you call your server group "JP" and not "Asia" if you are expecting a large volume of non-Japanese Asians to play?





Edited, Aug 25th 2013 11:25am by Aasher
#39 Aug 25 2013 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Medieve wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Population of Japan: 127.8 million people
Population of the rest of Asia: 4012 million people
Population of North America: 528.7 million people
Population of Europe: 739.2 million people

Japanese servers: 25
North American and European servers: 25

1.2679 billion people have the same number of servers split between them as 4.012 billion people.



I fixed it for you. They're SO shorting us.


From what I understand, the Chinese version will run on their own servers, and I've heard on these forums that South Korean is blocked and they have to use a JP VPN to connect.

You can't really lump all of Asia in to the JP user base.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#40 Aug 25 2013 at 9:36 AM Rating: Excellent
*
149 posts
Pickins wrote:
Medieve wrote:
Archmage Callinon wrote:
Population of Japan: 127.8 million people
Population of the rest of Asia: 4012 million people
Population of North America: 528.7 million people
Population of Europe: 739.2 million people

Japanese servers: 25
North American and European servers: 25

1.2679 billion people have the same number of servers split between them as 4.012 billion people.



I fixed it for you. They're SO shorting us.


From what I understand, the Chinese version will run on their own servers, and I've heard on these forums that South Korean is blocked and they have to use a JP VPN to connect.

You can't really lump all of Asia in to the JP user base.


And can't really separate them until you know they're separate. So, essentially, a long, moot argument. But, it passes the time while servers are down.
#41 Aug 25 2013 at 9:40 AM Rating: Good
**
576 posts
Medieve wrote:

And can't really separate them until you know they're separate. So, essentially, a long, moot argument. But, it passes the time while servers are down.


I agree with all of this. Smiley: nod

Besides, servers will be added/merged as necessary. Standard MMO M.O. ~.^


Edited, Aug 25th 2013 11:43am by Pickins
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#42 Aug 25 2013 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
The OP is right. NA/EU needs a lot more server than JP right now. :http://www.vgchartz.com/game/35106/final-fantasy-xiv-a-realm-reborn/
North America: 0.38m 53.4%
+Europe: 0.18m 26.0%
+Rest of the World: 0.15m 20.6%
= Global 0.71m

That means 79.4 percent is NA/EU server while 20.6% is JP server. This is why we have tons of congestion issue while the JP side of the house isn't.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 87 All times are in CST
Callinon, klausneck, Anonymous Guests (85)