Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Stop Calling This "Early Access"Follow

#1 Aug 25 2013 at 10:11 AM Rating: Default
41 posts
The game launched on Saturday when every single person who bought the game was able to 'log in.' Early Access would've meant a specific population had entrance rights over another. That 'other' group didn't even buy the game, thus not giving the other group a 'special' consideration. Do you think a massive group of people are going to be joining the game on Tuesday? If they've been reading the forums about all of the server issues, than your answer is already answered. But even if the game went super-well, you wouldn't of seen a mass entrance as everyone who wanted this game has already bought it.

This is a simple marketing mechanic that makes someone feel 'good' and 'special' when they acquire it, thus encouraging people to buy it. Yes, you were all duped if you thought you were getting bonus content. This is basically a shirt at the mall being "on sale" for $15 for a "limited time" and with a "regular price" of $50 when the store never had a hope of selling it at that price. You also see that "sale" price everything you come in. Or they just take it off the shelves for 3 weeks and put it back out as a new sale. Marketing people. It's not evil, but stop thinking you're in some 'special' consideration zone of the game when all it is the actual Launch.

The sad fact is the game has been down (for people with normal jobs) almost the same amount of time it's been up. If if you count the time people have been unable to progress their characters... Well, you have seriously wasted some time this weekend, heh.
#2 Aug 25 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
728 posts
Keep on preachin Brudda! My sentiments exactly.
____________________________
FFXI: DamienSlvrblade Race: Elvaan Nation: San d'Oria Server: Sylph 2002-2007, Phoenix 2012
PUP WHM PLD MNK BLU BST SAM WAR BLM 99 BRD THF NIN DNC SMN RDM 50+

FFXIV: Damien Scott Race: Duskwight Elezen GC: Limsa Lominsa Server: Ultros
DoW GLA50 ACN50 PUG50 MAR 50 Rest30+
DoH/DoL All 40+
#3 Aug 25 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
310 posts
technically the 1.0 owners(not legacy) all own the game, but don't have EA, so it is right to call this EA as there are probably many more that will join on the 27th
#4 Aug 25 2013 at 10:14 AM Rating: Excellent
Tuesday is launch. This is early access.

What does that have to do with anything?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#5 Aug 25 2013 at 10:14 AM Rating: Excellent
**
576 posts
You seem to be forgetting the people who bought 1.0, but do not have Legacy status. I'm sure there are quite a few of those waiting to play.
____________________________
FFXI, Siren: Pickins BST99.:~:.BLM75.:~:.RDM56
FFXIV, Siren: Miss Pickins - Builder of the Realm
#6 Aug 25 2013 at 10:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
488 posts
"It's Still Beta"
"It's Early Access"
"The game just came out"
"Let's wait till the first expansion"
"The next patch will fix it all"
"...The End"
#7 Aug 25 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Good
****
4,134 posts
Turgis wrote:
The game launched on Saturday when every single person who bought the game was able to 'log in.'

Actually the game launched nearly 3 years ago. Calling anything 'early access' at this point is pretty ridiculous Smiley: wink


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#8 Aug 25 2013 at 10:16 AM Rating: Decent
41 posts
Mopdaddy wrote:
"It's Still Beta"
"It's Early Access"
"The game just came out"
"Let's wait till the first expansion"
"The next patch will fix it all"
"...The End"


No, no, no... It'll be ARRA - A Realm Reborn, Again
#9 Aug 25 2013 at 10:19 AM Rating: Excellent
I'll call it early access because that's what it's labeled, but I do agree it's kind of funny. So... if you bought the game at this point you can log in... how is that different from any other time if you buy the game?
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#10 Aug 25 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Default
*
85 posts
Thayos wrote:
Tuesday is launch. This is early access.

What does that have to do with anything?


Please reread the most excellent OP! Reread as needed until it sinks in. If after several attempts it fails to sink in level some more and add more INT
#11 Aug 25 2013 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
16 posts
Wow you're clueless... 1.0 CE here and I cant even download the game till tuesday. So how is this not early access?
____________________________
FFXIV Jerrick Sirwarbeast (Midgardsormr)
PGL/MNK 50 BTN 37
THM/BLM 50 LTH 50
ACR 16
CON 15
LCR 15
GLD 13
MRD 6

MNK Relic +1
BLM Relic
LTH **

FFXI SirWarbeast (Midgardsormr/ Quetzalcoatl)
WAR 64 MNK 17
WHM 13 BLM 21
RDM 83 THF 99
PLD 18 DRK 99
BST 15 BRD 0
RNG 41 SAM 99
NIN 69 DRG 20
SMN 6 BLU 6
COR 43 PUP 0
SCH 1 DNC 99
GEO 0 RUN 12
#12 Aug 25 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
488 posts
sirwarbeast138 wrote:
Wow you're clueless... 1.0 CE here and I cant even download the game till tuesday. So how is this not early access?

B.c it's getting pretty late in the day...
#13 Aug 25 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
530 posts
Turgis wrote:
The sad fact is the game has been down (for people with normal jobs) almost the same amount of time it's been up. If if you count the time people have been unable to progress their characters... Well, you have seriously wasted some time this weekend, heh.


So go do something productive with your weekend. Most sensible people realized that they can't log in and we choose to do something else. Clean, grocery shop, work out, walk the dog, etc. SE isn't stopping you from being productive.
____________________________
i'm not saying, i'm just saying
_________________________
Babu Voyvoda - Hyur Midlander
White Mage
#14 Aug 25 2013 at 10:36 AM Rating: Default
****
4,928 posts
Turgis wrote:
The game launched on Saturday when every single person who bought the game was able to 'log in.' Early Access would've meant a specific population had entrance rights over another. That 'other' group didn't even buy the game, thus not giving the other group a 'special' consideration. Do you think a massive group of people are going to be joining the game on Tuesday? If they've been reading the forums about all of the server issues, than your answer is already answered. But even if the game went super-well, you wouldn't of seen a mass entrance as everyone who wanted this game has already bought it.

This is a simple marketing mechanic that makes someone feel 'good' and 'special' when they acquire it, thus encouraging people to buy it. Yes, you were all duped if you thought you were getting bonus content. This is basically a shirt at the mall being "on sale" for $15 for a "limited time" and with a "regular price" of $50 when the store never had a hope of selling it at that price. You also see that "sale" price everything you come in. Or they just take it off the shelves for 3 weeks and put it back out as a new sale. Marketing people. It's not evil, but stop thinking you're in some 'special' consideration zone of the game when all it is the actual Launch.

The sad fact is the game has been down (for people with normal jobs) almost the same amount of time it's been up. If if you count the time people have been unable to progress their characters... Well, you have seriously wasted some time this weekend, heh.



because EVERYBODY who wants the game preordered it and thus is in Early Access? surely NO ON ei picking up the game on tuesday for teh first time because EVERYONE who wanted it preordered right?
#15Turgis, Posted: Aug 25 2013 at 10:38 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) My eyes... They burn! I don't think SE is pinning any hopes on this block of people as a major income revenue compared to the number of people who pre-ordered.
#16 Aug 25 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
109 posts
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.
____________________________
---------------------------------------
PSN: GongJr
FFXIV: Gong Jr - Ultros - WHM
Free Company: The Kraken Club
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2253404/
#17 Aug 25 2013 at 10:43 AM Rating: Default
41 posts
GongJr wrote:
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.


I agree, but people are using the "It's only Early Access, you should be happy to be playing at all" as excuses for SE.
#18 Aug 25 2013 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
9 posts
zaarel wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Tuesday is launch. This is early access.

What does that have to do with anything?


Please reread the most excellent OP! Reread as needed until it sinks in. If after several attempts it fails to sink in level some more and add more INT



lol, classic..
____________________________
-Did you ever have one of those days where you found your middle finger wanted to answer every question? ^.~ ,,I,

~Probably tanking mobs in Eorzea... Hackn Slash - Ultros Server, Marauder.~
#19 Aug 25 2013 at 10:48 AM Rating: Default
****
4,928 posts
Turgis wrote:
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
Turgis wrote:
The game launched on Saturday when every single person who bought the game was able to 'log in.' Early Access would've meant a specific population had entrance rights over another. That 'other' group didn't even buy the game, thus not giving the other group a 'special' consideration. Do you think a massive group of people are going to be joining the game on Tuesday? If they've been reading the forums about all of the server issues, than your answer is already answered. But even if the game went super-well, you wouldn't of seen a mass entrance as everyone who wanted this game has already bought it.

This is a simple marketing mechanic that makes someone feel 'good' and 'special' when they acquire it, thus encouraging people to buy it. Yes, you were all duped if you thought you were getting bonus content. This is basically a shirt at the mall being "on sale" for $15 for a "limited time" and with a "regular price" of $50 when the store never had a hope of selling it at that price. You also see that "sale" price everything you come in. Or they just take it off the shelves for 3 weeks and put it back out as a new sale. Marketing people. It's not evil, but stop thinking you're in some 'special' consideration zone of the game when all it is the actual Launch.

The sad fact is the game has been down (for people with normal jobs) almost the same amount of time it's been up. If if you count the time people have been unable to progress their characters... Well, you have seriously wasted some time this weekend, heh.



because EVERYBODY who wants the game preordered it and thus is in Early Access? surely NO ON ei picking up the game on tuesday for teh first time because EVERYONE who wanted it preordered right?


My eyes... They burn! I don't think SE is pinning any hopes on this block of people as a major income revenue compared to the number of people who pre-ordered.


Also the other reason why ppl saying "its Early access" is because ppl believe that E ais technically free.. and with all the "i dont understand why i have to pay monthly for a game i bought" whiners this gen are playing, when tuesday comes and you have to put in payment info then 20% of teh current base (if not more) will be leaving. THATs what ppl are putting their hopes on
#20 Aug 25 2013 at 10:52 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
109 posts
Turgis wrote:
GongJr wrote:
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.


I agree, but people are using the "It's only Early Access, you should be happy to be playing at all" as excuses for SE.


Oh, I see. Yea, that's no excuse. That being said, if you've pre-ordered then hope your money that you've paid is being used to fix the issues. And chances are if you've pre-ordered then you've already said they have at least a month to get it together.
____________________________
---------------------------------------
PSN: GongJr
FFXIV: Gong Jr - Ultros - WHM
Free Company: The Kraken Club
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2253404/
#21 Aug 25 2013 at 10:53 AM Rating: Excellent
*
131 posts
GongJr wrote:
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.


Totally bought it because I've been an FF fanboy for almost as long as I've been alive, starting with FFI on the NES. ;)

I ended up playing FFXI for several years, and enjoying it a great deal. I'm almost certain I'll end up playing this for years and enjoying it a great deal as well.
____________________________
Dusk Sanatore (CNJ, FSH, GSM) @ Cactuar
Dusk D'norte (MRD) @ Kujata
#22 Aug 25 2013 at 10:56 AM Rating: Default
41 posts
DuskCactuar wrote:
GongJr wrote:
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.


Totally bought it because I've been an FF fanboy for almost as long as I've been alive, starting with FFI on the NES. ;)

I ended up playing FFXI for several years, and enjoying it a great deal. I'm almost certain I'll end up playing this for years and enjoying it a great deal as well.


I'm a closet FF fanboy, but based on FF7 and FF8. Who didn't love Chronotrigger as well!!!!???
#23 Aug 25 2013 at 10:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
DuskCactuar wrote:
GongJr wrote:
I don't really get your point. Who cares what it's called? Pretty sure people didn't buy it because of early access, but because it was something they wanted & there were other pre-order bonuses. A few hours in a game designed to entertain for years is a little low on the value scale.


Totally bought it because I've been an FF fanboy for almost as long as I've been alive, starting with FFI on the NES. ;)

I ended up playing FFXI for several years, and enjoying it a great deal. I'm almost certain I'll end up playing this for years and enjoying it a great deal as well.


20 posts and you're a scholar already. Welcome to ZAM, I think you'll fit right in.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
#24 Aug 25 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
23 posts
I didnt have a computer I thought would play the game so I didnt order early. Wont order till after payday. Not everyone, or even most, got it immediately. I know quite a few people who wont play till Tuesday. Only thing we worry about now is having a world to go to with space for us and friends. sighs.
____________________________
annewandering 75whm/37blm
meowmixx mnk/war
#25 Aug 25 2013 at 11:18 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
501 posts
yeah.... lets just call this beta phase 5.
____________________________
FFXIV - Bruticus Maximus - (excalibur server)
FFXI - Cubby the drunken Galka bard-Retired 7/31/2009
Kujata 75brd/75war/55drg
#26 Aug 25 2013 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
I bought the game this morning via Amazon DL. I'm not play it atm.
So all you able to play right now, have an early access to it... calling it Beta Phase 5 works too, is it not free for all of you right now? Come Tuesday you will be like the rest of the world, and have to pay the sub.

Quote:
I know quite a few people who wont play till Tuesday. Only thing we worry about now is having a world to go to with space for us and friends. sighs.


This is so very true. It is my goal (tho may DL it tonight so it is done, and only maybe have to patch anything new-ish Mon/Tue) to play on Tuesday. My concern is if the realms are so packed, friends may not (or heck, I may not) be able to join to play together (this could turn some away..).
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | |Tsukaremashi*a |
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 72 All times are in CDT
Karlina, Thayos, Theonehio, Anonymous Guests (69)